Report: Rick Perry thinking of jumping into GOP race

posted at 4:20 pm on May 25, 2011 by Allahpundit

It’d be hard for him to say no. Romney, Pawlenty, and Huntsman will split the centrist vote, so there’s an opportunity on the right for a prominent conservative to swoop in and consolidate the base. That’s what Palin’s going to try to do, leveraging her higher name recognition to swamp Bachmann and Cain in Iowa, but Perry would be a major challenge for her. In fact, given his record on jobs, he may even pull some votes from the centrists.

Coming soon to a debate near you?

With conservatives aching for more choices in the approaching 2012 Republican primary, Perry declined Tuesday to rule out a White House bid during a press conference about a new anti-abortion measure. Also Tuesday, his top strategist told the Tribune that the governor is, naturally, “thinking about it” given the flattering comments made recently by some in the GOP, although he “doesn’t see any change in his direction.”…

The Perry camp is still telegraphing the notion that the default position is not to run, but it’s safe to say they have cracked the door open, at least a little bit, over the last week. Specific wording matters — a lot — in these speculative political matters…

“Obviously, it’s flattering to have everybody, Rush Limbaugh and all these other conservative, right-of-center leaders, talk about you, urging you to think about it, urging you to run, saying they support you. But I don’t see any difference in terms of the governor’s thinking,” [Perry strategist Dave] Carney said.

“I’m sure he’s thinking about it because it’s just human nature when you have Rush Limbaugh spend 20 minutes talking about you and have all these other people mention you, that you don’t sort of think that’s flattering and think about it. But I don’t see any change in his direction, what he’s planning to do.”

That’s not all. Laura Ingraham told Mike Pence on the air this morning that a source in Texas who’s tapped into political circles insists that Perry will announce his candidacy in the coming days. Skip ahead to 2:20 of the clip below to listen. If that’s true, he needs to get in ASAP and ride the buzz for as long as he can before Palin announces and the media stampedes to cover her instead. In fact, he may be thinking that if he jumps in now, it may convince Palin that her path to the nomination is too difficult and that it’s not worth running after all. Granted, that’s highly unlikely given that there’s a candidate-approved Palin movie rolling out in Iowa next month, but he gains nothing by waiting.

Exit question: What does this do for Pawlenty’s chances? T-Paw might be the only “centrist” who ends up campaigning hard in Iowa, so if grassroots conservatives there end up splitting between Perry, Palin, and the dark horses, he could squeak through. On the other hand, Pawlenty’s niche is as the electable “Not Romney” candidate, and once Perry is in, that niche will have two members. What’s the argument for T-Paw then?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

John the Libertarian on May 26, 2011 at 1:40 AM

That was one of his strongest moments. He is an interesting option. It’s early yet. Folks don’t need to get all twisted off quite yet.

TXMomof3 on May 26, 2011 at 6:57 AM

The Notorious G.O.P on May 26, 2011 at 2:18 AM

Regardless of your support or opposition to any candidate, potential or announced, don’t you think a full examination of everyone’s records is in order? Wouldn’t you like to know who you’re voting for? Blind support is pathetic.

steebo77 on May 26, 2011 at 7:52 AM

What’s the argument for T-Paw then?

Maybe it’s written here; blame it on Paul Ryan.

ProudPalinFan on May 26, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Dr Evil on May 25, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Than why did Sarah campaign for him? Why are they BFFs?

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on May 25, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I am not a “He” and I never stated that Palin and Perry were BFF.

I stated that Governor Sarah Palin is a Loyal Republican – as in she will support the Republican candidate, in the case for Governor of Texas, that candidate was Rick Perry. I on the other hand am not a Republican, I am an Independent. I live in Texas ask anyone who lives in Texas, and they we will tell you all about the establishment Republican hold on this state. We have Kay Bailey Hutchinson, John Cornyn, and Rick Perry who are all pretty much George W Bush water carriers. It is what it is. Rick Perry isn’t the great white hope. When it comes to being a phony career politician at least he doesn’t have the albatross Romney Care hanging around his neck. Like I posted before he’s connected if he won the primary – his campaign coffers would get filled. Those are his positives.

As far as being a Palinista, show me another conservative that will excite the electorate to vote for them, and I will get behind that candidate. I am looking for a Fiscal Conservative not another Progressive. Would I vote for Rick Perry? I voted for him over the Democrat running down here in Texas. If people remember NPR had just fired Juan Williams, because of an injection of Soros money. I can honestly say I was on the fence with Perry, and that tipped me over, I was pi$$ed off, and am tired of the Progressives in DINO or RINO flavor. Perry would govern in the mold of George W Bush they are cut from the same cloth. So if folks want more of the same Perry is their guy.

I have already posted my list:
1. Palin
2. Christie
3. Patraeus
4. West
5. Bachmann and or Cain.

Dr Evil on May 26, 2011 at 8:43 AM

A fiscal, defense, social, borders conservative who likes to remind people about the 10th Amendment and is a staunch supporter of state rights.

Could it be?

amerpundit on May 25, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Really? That is a surprise for us.

**************************************

Palin is polling ahead of Perry in TEXAS.

huckleberryfriend on May 25, 2011 at 4:49 PM

There is no doubt about that.

Conservatives were actually not happy that Palin supported Perry, as without Palin’s support that would’ve gotten us anybody-but-Perry in the primary….which is what this state so deserved.

And before you chime in with: “But Palin’s instinct should be right on about Perry”, let me tell you unequivocally that Palin doesn’t live here, so she doesn’t see Perry’s two-timing, two-stepping circle dance around actually getting the principled conservative job done.

Rick Perry in real life, is in fact an utter embarrassment in comparison to Sarah Palin.

Mcguyver on May 25, 2011 at 7:19 PM

I read that the governor of Texas has virtually no power; that power belongs to the legislature. If true, then he doesn’t have the executive “chops” to be President.

Perhaps that is why Bush sometimes had a “deer in the headlights” look.

Amjean on May 26, 2011 at 8:57 AM

I am not a “He” and I never stated that Palin and Perry were BFF.

Bush backed Kay Bailey Hutchinson in the primary against
Rick Perry. Palin flew in to campaign for Perry. Perry won.

Perry and Palin became friends when they worked together
at the National Governor’s Association when Palin was
governor.

Amjean on May 26, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Amjean on May 26, 2011 at 8:57 AM

These folks are connected down here,when Enron melted down, they started applying for and getting jobs in the state government. These country club folks look after each other.

When the Tea Party started growing down here in Texas, Perry stuck his finger in the wind and started getting in front of Tea Party events, talking like a conservative. I don’t blame him – it’s a smart thing for a politician to do, but he’s really obvious about it.

The Democrats were making noise in 2010 about Texas being in play. After NPR canned Juan Williams, because of Soros injection of cash, I made a choice – I really can’t stand the progressive left that have high jacked the Democrat Party so now that’s all that’s left in the Democrat Party. Independents like myself were sending a message, we swung way to the Right in 2010. I lean Libertarian and neither Romney or Perry could be accused of having Libertarian leanings – fiscal conservatism. But they both have nice hair, they both have been Governors. Perry would fill the southern Governor slot running in the race now that Huckabee is out. If he was the Republican candidate I have no doubt that Sarah Palin would support him she is a loyal Republican.

Dr Evil on May 26, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Rick Perry thinking of gettiong in the race means the big corporations are afraid with the current crop of candidates there is no one they can pay off.
audios mofos

paulsur on May 26, 2011 at 9:17 AM

The Notorious G.O.P on May 26, 2011 at 2:18 AM

Because there IS something wrong with every candidate.

pseudoforce on May 26, 2011 at 10:03 AM

What I find fascinating is Allahpundits easily identified detastation of Palin in so much that he savors every opportunity to give a plug for everyone else so long as it stirs support for the Non-Palin candidate…love you Allah!!!

RedLizard64 on May 26, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Because there IS something wrong with every candidate.

pseudoforce on May 26, 2011 at 10:03 AM

I guess we are just supposed to fall behind whoever the Republicans finally pick ;) You know like the Democrats did with Obama, oh that’s right the Democrat primary of 2008 spawned PUMA- Party Unity My A$$/ The Tea Party is strong down here in Texas in 2010 we wanted to send more “fiscal conservatives” into public office. Just how did John Cornyn (R) Texas help Christine O’Donnell (R) Delaware with her campaign for the Senate seat from that state? People have real short memories. There is a chasm between Status Quo Establishment Republicans and Conservatives of all political identity.

The establishment Republican faction, figure they can keep running the same play by American Voters and they will keep falling for it. They are counting on the people who complain swaying people’s conservative position: So many of you people are pathetic. You find something wrong with every candidate. The Notorious G.O.P on May 26, 2011 at 2:18 AM People get the government they deserve “Thomas Jefferson” No my mind isn’t going to be changed by a whiner on a blog post for a career politician just because he matches that posters criteria “Republican Brand” Wow Republicans have really set the bar high -that’s such a high standard to meet/ LOL! In the end people need to remember the O’Donnell lesson, they would rather a Leftist Democrat win than a Conservative Republican. More conservatives in public seats, upset’s their hold on power, and they are not about to give up their position feeding at the corporate trough. Just ask Rick Perry he will explain it to you, it has to do with being pragmatic and realistic -code for, I will sell you out if you vote for me, LMAO.

Dr Evil on May 26, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Amjean on May 26, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Dr Evil on May 26, 2011 at 9:12 AM
Thanks for the info. Sarah Palin might support Perry if
she herself doesn’t run, however, if she sees a better candidate that shares her conservative/libertarian, etc.
values she will support another. Then, she will “hold their feet to the fire” when this candidate is in office.
Either way, Palin is not going away.

Amjean on May 26, 2011 at 10:28 AM

RedLizard64 on May 26, 2011 at 10:17 AM
Yeah, it is so obvious it stinks.

Also, unless it is a major hit job on her, postings having
to do soley with Palin are posted late at night, then buried
with new postings the next day. Go look at the commentary
right now. Notice the date/time…how long some have been
up with very little postings by us, the common folks. It
is all very telling, isn’t it?

Amjean on May 26, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Amjean on May 26, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I don’t fault Palin for being loyal to her party – she supports the Tea Party movement, but she doesn’t hide her loyalty to the Republican Party. When McCain and Palin ran the banner was “Country First” that resonates with Independents like myself it’s why we are unaffiliated in the first place we put Country in front of Political Brands. There progressive left have knee capped the Democrat Party with their naked power grab.

My self I don’t see the answer to the current progressive left leadership is voting in an establishment Republican. We are 14.3 Trillion Dollars in Debt, this country has real economical issues that need addressed, record high unemployment, the value of the dollar is sinking…inflation. If we are going to elect someone who is going to manage the status quo currently our decline – why not just keep Obama he’s doing a bang up job basically doing the same. The only thing that makes me real queasy about 4 more years of Obama is the Supreme Court. We do not need any more social justice appointees. But if the Republicans can’t learn from 2008 and 2010, perhaps the focus should be on the U.S. Senate and getting conservative Republicans elected to the Senate in 2012. The tools in D.C. think they can scare the electorate into voting Republican in 2012 with the anybody but Obama candidate. Obama’s going to get his base out he’s going to have a full campaign coffer. If this is the Republicans strategy to win the Presidency it’s a pathetic. Both parties should be thinking kitchen table because that’s what the voters are going to be focusing on…oh and if they can afford the tank of gas to get to the polls to vote in the first place SARC.

Dr Evil on May 26, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Because there IS something wrong with every candidate.

pseudoforce on May 26, 2011 at 10:03 AM

All except one-right, pseudo.
///

annoyinglittletwerp on May 26, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Speaking of PUMAS.

Obama Regime Adds Taxpayer Funded Online Propaganda Czar to Support Re-Election Campaign.

All except one-right, pseudo.
///

annoyinglittletwerp on May 26, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I identify Tea Party and Sarah Palin isn’t the only one who supports the Tea Party. Hillbuzz (PUMA) is a big time Palin Supporter.

It’s a question of who stuck their neck out, when the Media was pounding the Tea Party calling them teabaggers, racist, klan members, Nazis – oh and John Birchers. That movement was from the freakin 60s. Talk about throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the Tea Party. And Palin paid for her support of the Tea Party, remember how they slimed her with the Loughner shooting? Yes, I appreciate Sarah Palin. But it wasn’t Sarah Palin who made my mind up in 2010 for who I would vote for. The progressive left created a huge backlash among Independents and disenfranchised Democrats. If Obama is smart he’s learned a lesson from 2010. It’s not going to be a slam dunk for a Republican candidate to win in 2012. The Republicans need the strongest candidate they can find a proven “Fighter”. The ideal candidate would be Governor Chris Christie IMO but he isn’t running.

Dr Evil on May 26, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Speaking of PUMAS.

Check out Hillbuzz’s latest post.

All except one-right, pseudo.
///

annoyinglittletwerp on May 26, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I identify Tea Party and Sarah Palin isn’t the only one who supports the Tea Party. Hillbuzz (PUMA) is a big time Palin supporter.

It’s a question of who stuck their neck out, when the Media was pounding the Tea Party calling them teabaggers, racist, klan members, Nazis – oh and John Birchers. That movement was from the freakin 60s. Talk about throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the Tea Party. And Palin paid for her support of the Tea Party, remember how they slimed her with the Loughner shooting? Yes, I appreciate Sarah Palin. But it wasn’t Sarah Palin who made my mind up in 2010, for who I would vote for. The progressive left created a huge backlash among Independents and disenfranchised Democrats. If Obama is smart he’s learned a lesson from 2010. It’s not going to be a slam dunk for a Republican candidate to win in 2012. The Republicans need the strongest candidate they can find a proven “Fighter”. The ideal candidate would be Governor Chris Christie IMO but he isn’t running.

Dr Evil on May 26, 2011 at 11:10 AM

So have fun re-electing your communist funboy

The Notorious G.O.P on May 26, 2011 at 2:18 AM

Bush got us Obama because the Independents were so fed up with Bush.

I don’t know where some of you get your information. It is opposite of what I have heard him say or what has been said about Perry. And I think that he might appeal to the independents which is what the GOP will need to win. Without the independent vote, it is 4 more years of Obama.

Voter from WA State on May 26, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Where we get this information is because we live it. We experience Perry tap-dancing around the issues like it’s a fire ant hill and then coming full circle only to keep dancing.

The Independents are NOT the “squishy middle” like so many erroneously believe, the Independent, unlike the typical “squishy” moderate voter is looking for a candidate that gives them the maximum amount of freedom, because they have seen both parties erode their liberties, tax them out the wazoo, and generally al around mess with our idea of what makes America, America.

It is the Independents that are the most mad at Perry for the two-time-a-dealing, tap-dancing, hero-worship-seeking antics.

Mcguyver on May 26, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Mcguyver on May 26, 2011 at 11:14 AM

The GOP’ers are beginning to come off as desperate. They really are counting on the anybody but Obama vote that’s a pathetic strategy and we all know that Obama is going to move to the middle just to woe back the Independent vote.

That’s the best they can do enjoy four more years of Obama – if they don’t want four more years of Obama, they need to run a strong fiscal conservative candidate. Obama lite is not an alternative to Obama. This ain’t rocket science. Both PUMA and the Tea Party were created because of the disgust with two parties. You would think some Republican with brain cells still working would figure out that the American Voter has nothing to lose. It’s not business as usual in the U.S. I mean they have jobs and security, I made a list of kitchen table issues in my above comment. The career pols will be just fine, but the rest of the country is putting up with a unicorn and rainbow energy policy vis a via their gas tank. Obama’s energy policy is “Green Energy” WTF folks ;) What’s the Republican response to high pump prices crickets…they get their campaign funds from Big Oil…yeah this is a real head scratcher figuring out there is no difference between RINOs and Obama. It’s all about their job security not ours.

Dr Evil on May 26, 2011 at 11:25 AM

The GOP’ers are beginning to come off as desperate

And that’s not attractive in a political party or a politician. This is how the GOP wants to enter a political contest?

Dr Evil on May 26, 2011 at 11:33 AM

What’s the argument for T-Paw then?

Ed likes him?

jnelchef on May 26, 2011 at 11:39 AM

So many of you people are pathetic. You find something wrong with every candidate. You all sound like you would rather have 4 more of Chairman Obama rather than vote for a republican you don’t agree with 100%. Some of you say “oh no Bush 2.0″ Yeah, well me personally, and every true conservative I know, would kill to have a Bush 2.0 over a Marxist 1.0.

So have fun re-electing your communist funboy

The Notorious G.O.P on May 26, 2011 at 2:18 AM

What policy has Obama changed that wasn’t first George W Bush’s policy? Obama is Bush 2.0 Rick Perry would have to get in line behind Obama.

Dr Evil on May 26, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Perry isn’t nearly as bad as some of you make him out to be. He’s NOT a Bush clone for starters, (Lt. Gov. Dewhurst is) He’s not for amnesty, he supported the Arizona Illegal Immigrant bill, he’s not a warmist, he’s anti-tax, pro-life, pro-business, pro-free trade……Geeze, I could go on! Does he have some controversial aspects of his tenure? Hell yes, nobody into their 3rd term hasn’t had some failures, done some bone-headed things and, for sure, had enemies accusing him of all sorts of shenanigans.
I worry that the country is leery of another Texan in the White House this soon. Would I vote for Perry in the primary? Against Romney, Pawlenty, Huntsman, or Gingrich–yes. Against Palin, Bachmann or Cain–I don’t know.
Christie isn’t running, but I’d take Perry over him.
What I’d really like to see is a Draft Bobby Jindal movement.

cartooner on May 26, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Do ya’ll still think Palin is going to run? I know the big movie thing is coming out. But how do we know she’s not just positioning herself as kingmaker?

Would she run against her friend Bachmann?

I’d be all for Perry running. And I’d be all for Palin and Perry both running. Options are good.

hawksruleva on May 26, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Would she run against her friend Bachmann?

hawksruleva on May 26, 2011 at 12:02 PM

It’s difficult to tell, Palin is playing her cards close to her chest. I agree with a deep bench of strong Conservatives running vs a deep bench of establishment Republicans running. It’s one of the reasons money is still sitting on the sidelines. They want to back the strongest candidate – unfortunately they have misread the Independent vote from 2010, they are running moderate Republicans up the flag pole. This isn’t a regular election cycle the 2010 Mid Term election shows the Independents are looking for fiscal conservatives for the most part we aren’t social conservatives. Barack Obama has been punting on the deficit and the budget – Why on earth aren’t the Republicans exploiting his position?

As far as Palin running, I have listened to people, I think Dick Morris? somebody say she isn’t running….but maybe that’s a set up for dramatic effect when she declares LOL! There is nothing like American Politics.

Dr Evil on May 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I’ve been a republican in Texas all my life. I’ve never voted for Rick Perry. He is a dodo.

Labamigo on May 26, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Dr Evil on May 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Maybe because they’re gutless? They’re treating the Ryan plan as if it were kryptonite. But unfortunately, our leaders aren’t Supermen. That’s why I’m digging Pawlenty’s ‘piss off the primary voters’ campaign. Iowa needs to hear that corn subsidies are a problem. Seniors in Florida need to hear that entitlement reform is an absolute necessity.

hawksruleva on May 26, 2011 at 1:31 PM

hawksruleva on May 26, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Nancy Pelosi just got done blaming Republican from blocking job growth legislation. You know Obama has been about Job creation since day one just look at “Porkulus” This is her response to the GOP legislation for job creation. We are in debt 14.3 trillion she has been speaker since 2006 all spending has to start in the house…oh yeah don’t forget it’s all Bush’s fault. This is the women who said, that unemployment benefits stimulated the economy. Because you know stimulating the economy in a consumption based economy is more important than American people being employed. This woman can’t stop politicking even when she’s been marginalized in the minority. Nancy Pelosi’s district got a record number of waivers for Obamacare, you know the bill Pelosi said, they had to pass to see what’s in it aka job killing bill.

Here is one strategy the Republicans can employ in the up coming election, tie Obama to Pelosi, and run all the stupid self serving things she has said in a constant loop just have Obama in the background nodding his head up and down.

Dr Evil on May 26, 2011 at 2:11 PM

. . . . My self I don’t see the answer to the current progressive left leadership is voting in an establishment Republican. We are 14.3 Trillion Dollars in Debt, this country has real economical issues that need addressed, record high unemployment, the value of the dollar is sinking…inflation. If we are going to elect someone who is going to manage the status quo currently our decline – why not just keep Obama he’s doing a bang up job basically doing the same. The only thing that makes me real queasy about 4 more years of Obama is the Supreme Court. We do not need any more social justice appointees. But if the Republicans can’t learn from 2008 and 2010, perhaps the focus should be on the U.S. Senate and getting conservative Republicans elected to the Senate in 2012. . . . .

Dr Evil on May 26, 2011 at 10:42 AM

This statement tells me that you do not understand the gravity of the situation we have right now with Obama, and I will have to take your opinion on other candidates and topics with a grain of salt. We are in a serious situation unprecedented in my lifetime, unprecedented in the history of this country.

I agree with you that we need a real conservative and that a real conservative will win in the general more easily than an establishment moderate. But “why not just keep Obama?” Please! Any of our candidates would make me breath a sigh of relief. I would vote for the biggest RINO in the general. This is not the year to regroup for the next election with a better candidate. This is it!

I said another day that I’d slap a Hillary Clinton bumper sticker on my car if she was on the Republican ticket. At least the Clintons like this country.

Elisa on May 27, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Elisa on May 27, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Seconded. Old man Billy can screw his secretary until his d!ck falls off, so long as he fixes the economy ASAP. If that doesn’t happen then every other argument we care about is completely moot.

Uncle Sams Nephew on May 29, 2011 at 6:01 PM