Quotes of the day

posted at 10:47 pm on May 25, 2011 by Allahpundit

“‘It’s a very good idea,’ says Rep. Tom McClintock (R., Calif.). ‘Paul Ryan would make an excellent candidate and an excellent president.’ If Democrats are intent on making the House Republican budget the central issue of the 2012 campaign, who better than that budget’s author — and most capable defender — to be the GOP nominee? Other members certainly feel the same, McClintock said — you won’t find too many Republicans with a negative opinion of Ryan — but he insisted there isn’t a concerted effort among members to urge Ryan to get in the race. ‘I’ve not heard any rumors that he’s seriously considering it,’ he said. ‘But I still think it’s a pretty good idea.’

“[A] few are not so convinced that Ryan would be the right man for the job. ‘Is he old enough to run?’ jokes Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R., Kan.), a tea-party freshman who serves on Ryan’s budget committee. While Huelskamp said Ryan ‘does a great job’ as budget chairman, he suggested that Ryan’s status as a ‘Beltway insider’ could hurt him in a political environment that is decidedly anti-Washington, particularly when it comes to Ryan’s votes for TARP and other bailouts.”

***
“To Hochul supporters, there was no question what turned the tide of the campaign. At the Democrat’s election night celebration at a UAW hall in Amherst, an elated crowd chanted, ‘Medicare,’ over and over again as Hochul declared victory…

“One Republican strategist who follows House races put the party’s position in grimmer terms, predicting: ‘Medicare will define 2012.’

“From Day One, our members need to be attacking their challenger for supporting the president’s Medicare-cutting health care bill and his plan to ration benefits for future seniors,” the strategist wrote in an email. ‘Paul Ryan was wrong; leaders don’t change polls — scaring seniors changes polls, and we had better be prepared to do it as shamelessly as they did in this special if we want to retain the majority.’”

***
“So the question many are asking is, should Ryan ride to the rescue? If the election is going to be a referendum on his plan, maybe the one guy who can sell it should do just that. On Monday, House majority leader Eric Cantor called for Ryan to get in the race, saying, ‘Paul’s about real leadership.’ Charles Krauthammer on Fox News’s Special Report said he wouldn’t just urge Ryan to run, he’d form a ‘posse.’

“If Ryan ran, he would probably drive the other candidates farther away from his own plan while forcing them to come up with serious alternatives of their own. Many think that if he got the nomination, he would clean Obama’s clock in the debates.

“It’s a lot to ask. He has three young kids and would have to get organized and funded from a cold start for a long-shot run. But politics is about moments, and this one is calling him. Unless someone suddenly rises to the challenge, the cries of ‘Help us, Paul Ryan, you’re our only hope!’ will only get louder.”

***
“I used to worry that Sarah Palin would be the Barry Goldwater of 2012. My bad. Paul Ryan is the Barry Goldwater of 2012

“The political dangers in the Ryan budget could have been predicted in advance. In fact, they were predicted in advance – and widely. Yet the GOP proceeded anyway, all but four members of the House putting themselves on record in favor. Any acknowledgment of these dangers was instantly proclaimed taboo, as Newt Gingrich has painfully learned. Bill Kristol and Charles Krauthammer have enthusiastically promoted Paul Ryan as a presidential candidate. And this morning, as the reckoning arrives, the denial continues…

“Now we’re likely headed to the worst of all possible worlds. The GOP will run on a platform crafted to be maximally obnoxious to downscale voters. Some may hope that Tim Pawlenty’s biography may cushion the pain. Perhaps that’s right, at least as compared to Mitt Romney, who in the 2008 primaries did worst among Republicans earning less than $100,000 a year. And yes, Pawlenty is keeping his distance from the Ryan plan. But biography only takes you so far. The big issues of 2012 will be jobs and incomes in a nation still unrecovered from the catastrophe of 2008-2009. What does the GOP have to say to hard-pressed voters? Thus far the answer is: we offer Medicare cuts, Medicaid cuts, and tighter money aimed at raising the external value of the dollar.

No candidate, not even if he or she is born in a log cabin, would be able to sell that message to America’s working class.

***
“The NY-26 race will be wildly over-interpreted by the press and the Democrats as a death-blow to Ryan and the GOP budget. But that interpretation may well have a self-fulfilling aspect to it. You can be sure that the Democrats will only intensify their MediScare tactics.

“If you think that’s a huge problem, Ryan getting in the race might be the best possible option. Because by getting in, Ryan would allow the rest of the field to differentiate themselves from Ryan and the House budget. Most of the contenders would have to differentiate themselves from Ryan while also coming up with more serious entitlement-reform plans of their own than they might otherwise.

“Let’s assume Ryan gets in and loses and, say, Tim Pawlenty wins the nomination. After ‘pushing off’ from Ryan in the primaries, Pawlenty would be far better situated to tell Obama in the general, ‘Look, you’re running against Paul Ryan. He’s not on this stage. I am. I beat Paul Ryan. Deal with me and my ideas.’”

***
Via Mediaite.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

The river is way over flood stage and has been for over a week. It is expected to go down some time in June. At the end of our street they built a dirt levee and added a lot of sand bags to the low points. The water came over on Saturday.

TXMomof3 on May 25, 2011 at 11:41 PM

What river?

karenhasfreedom on May 26, 2011 at 1:49 AM

LOL!..Glad to see we can count on you!..:)

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 1:46 AM

Don’t count on me to monitor the thread. I am a firm supporter of the first amendment, apparantly unlike some around here. And my assumption is that if someone is being offensive, Ed or Allah will take care of them via banhammer.

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 1:51 AM

Hiya Kat’

annoyinglittletwerp on May 26, 2011 at 1:46 AM

Hey alt, what’s shakin’? Antyone sharing any good music tonight?

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 1:51 AM

You make a good point!..:)..I am with you and would not want it any other way myself!..:)

PS..My original post was meant for someone who complained about the late night videos!..:)

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Lol. I know. The true “she who shall not be named”. One thing I would like to tell you now since we are on the topic: I have no problem with you and enjoy many of your posts. I have seen you get into it with other Palin supporters and I want to make sure you know that just because I support the same candidate as they do doesn’t mean that I have the same approach to some commenters as them. I apologize if me making that distinction in any way insults your intelligence, but I am finding that if I don’t point that out, I wind up getting painted with a broad brush a lot around here.

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Generally us in the late night crew pretty much all get along.

Anyway, what river is cresting in Texas? I haven’t heard of any up north here, just the MS river.

karenhasfreedom on May 26, 2011 at 2:07 AM

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Nice post!..:)..I enjoy your posts also!..Glad to see you post on Hot Air!..No need to apologize!..We all have the same goal..Beat Obie in 2012!..Plus we have a great blog with Hot Air!..It is all good!:):)

PS..I apologize if I have ever offended you!..:)

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 2:09 AM

karenhasfreedom on May 26, 2011 at 2:07 AM

TXmomof3 lives in South Dakota I think..They are having a lot of flooding in her town..:)

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 2:10 AM

PS..I apologize if I have ever offended you!..:)

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 2:09 AM

You haven’t. And I’m sorry if I am coming off like someone pissed in my bowl of Wheaties this morning. I’m just not used to jumping into a thread the first post I read is someone who was apparantly too uninterested to get the full story, but felt the need to pass a lot of judgment anyway.

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 2:12 AM

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 2:12 AM

I’m back. I was checking my schedule. I can only work until 10 yet they STILL have me working until midnight one day next week. *sigh*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 26, 2011 at 2:16 AM

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 2:12 AM

It’s all good!..Carry on..:):)

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 2:18 AM

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 2:12 AM

It’s all good!..Carry on..:):)

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 2:18 AM

I’d better get to bed. Since my direct deposit won’t start until my next paycheck I have 16 mile round trip walk to work to get my dough. No biggie-but it’s still 16 miles.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 26, 2011 at 2:20 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 26, 2011 at 2:20 AM

‘nite :)

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 2:22 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 26, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Enjoyed it as always!..:)

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 2:26 AM

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 2:22 AM

Just my opinion..I’m not so sure Rick Perry is going to run..:)

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 2:28 AM

Just my opinion..I’m not so sure Rick Perry is going to run..:)

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 2:28 AM

I would be surprised if he did. I can tell you that I like him though. I could enthusiastically support Palin, Perry or T-Paw, but will vote for anyone on the ticket. Huckabee was the only one I would have had a tough time pulling the lever for, so thankfully he bowed out.

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 2:40 AM

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 2:22 AM

I agree..:)

PS..I would have voted for Huck if would have won..The only one I have ruled out is Ron Raul!..:)

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 2:43 AM

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 2:22 AM
I agree..:)

PS..I would have voted for Huck if he would have won..The only one I have ruled out is Ron Raul!..:)

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 2:43 AM

sorry for the typo!..:)

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 2:46 AM

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 2:43 AM

I probably would have voted for Huck but I would have definitely been squirming in the voting booth. I have to tell you, as much of a joke as Ron Paul is, it would still be a temptation to vote for him if that meant sending Obama packing. I think Paul’s foreign policy might be worse than Obama’s though so it would be a tough call.

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 2:47 AM

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Lol. I know. The true “she who shall not be named”.

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Is it me you’re referring to? I do remember one late night, being totally frustrated with my own situation – which is, losing 3/4 my income as of January, single, older, no way to find a refi, petrified of losing my home of almost 20 years, can’t find work, can’t (now) pay the mortgage. . . coming into a serious (topically, at least), thread, and complaining about the videos. I was wrong to do so.

I’m no ‘mom’ of any thread. If I offended anyone here that night – or any other time, I am truly sorry.

I appreciate the commentary here. Y’all have at it with the music videos!

Opinionator on May 26, 2011 at 2:51 AM

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 2:47 AM

I see your point..But if Ron Paul wins the GOP primary..I’m sitting it out!..:)

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 2:52 AM

Opinionator on May 26, 2011 at 2:51 AM

No it was not you!..:)

PS..Good to see you!..I hope things are going well for you!..:)

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 2:53 AM

Opinionator on May 26, 2011 at 2:51 AM

Haha. No, not you. I enjoy a lot of your posts. We all have tough nights. We are referring to someone who doesn’t come here a lot anymore.

I hope things look up for you. I am going through some tough times as well. I think a lot of us are.

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 2:55 AM

I see your point..But if Ron Paul wins the GOP primary..I’m sitting it out!..:)

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 2:52 AM

I can respect that. It is just his Israel and isolationist policies you don’t like or is it the whole enchilada? I think some of his domestic and fiscal policies are okay, but he comes off as a serious kook. I like his son though.

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 2:57 AM

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 2:53 AM

Whew! See how I’m ever-ready to fall on my own sword? Heh.

Good to see you, too ;)

I’ll be better when I find income and a way to save my home. I’m working on it every day.

Thank gawd I’m not who you were referring to! /Don’t need that on my plate!

Thanks for relieving my mind. :)

Opinionator on May 26, 2011 at 3:00 AM

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 2:57 AM

His Israel policy is just awful..:(

PS..I like his son Rand also..I just hope the apple fell a long ways from the tree!..:)

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 3:01 AM

Opinionator on May 26, 2011 at 3:00 AM

It’s all good!..I wish you well with the income problem..

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 3:03 AM

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 2:55 AM

Thank you so much! I will especially include you in my prayers. . .

Opinionator on May 26, 2011 at 3:03 AM

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 3:01 AM

Exactly. I think in the case of Huntsman, the apple fell far from the tree and that is a bad thing. His dad is a great man. From what I have seen of him so far, I’m not impressed. What is your take?

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 3:13 AM

Thank you so much! I will especially include you in my prayers. . .

Opinionator on May 26, 2011 at 3:03 AM

Likewise. Hang in there!

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 3:14 AM

Thanks, Guys :)

On topic for a moment, I can’t support anyone who wants to green light 20 million illegals. I’m also not crazy about his TARP support. However, I give him big kudos for his budget efforts. Of course, none of the ninnies currently running are expressing any support.

Only that woman who has not yet officially declared has done so.

Palin/West, or several other possible VP’s!

Good night, now. Take good care.

Opinionator on May 26, 2011 at 3:15 AM

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 3:13 AM

I’m not much on Huntsman..I like Romney better!..:)

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 3:21 AM

Palin/West, or several other possible VP’s!

Good night, now. Take good care.

Opinionator on May 26, 2011 at 3:15 AM

Good night. I like Palin/West as well. My dream ticket it Palin/Ryan.

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 3:24 AM

I’m not much on Huntsman..I like Romney better!..:)

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 3:21 AM

I was a Mitt supporter in 2008. Is he your top pick? I have lost a lot of enthusiasm for him because I think Romneycare takes a lot of heat off Obama. I’ll still vote for him in the general. I think the primary is going to come down to a battle between he and Palin, but I could be wrong. It’s still very early.

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 3:27 AM

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 3:27 AM

No..Mitt is not my top pick!.. I am undecided at this point..:)

PS..It could come down to Palin/Romney?!?..You never know!..:)

Dire Straits on May 26, 2011 at 3:32 AM

If the republicans were smart (I know, I know…) They’d create an online budget fix calculator. Program in all the numbers and let people cut things themselves to see what would work.

One upside is that it would probably kill off several hundred thousand lefty Obummer voters when they discovered that cutting the defense budget wouldn’t solve all our problems.

trigon on May 26, 2011 at 3:35 AM

Well, as we weed out the RINO’s over the next several years, we will certainly have to settle for less than perfect candidates. Sometimes that will mean forgoing the candidate that is the best for the candidate that can beat the worst of the two evils. In the general I will not vote for Obama and I will not stay home. If that means pulling the lever for Paul, so be it. What I will not do is make a worthless statement by voting for a candidate in the primary that cannot beat Obama.

Candidate purists must realize the walk back from years of slothfulness on our part by letting the progressives run wild will not be turned around in a few election cycles. You will have to be a pragmatic voter at times just to affect an incremental change.

The next cycle is critical in this process. We cannot let the NY26 loss deter us from moving forward. We must also realize we are not as savvy as the established political class. Because the Tea Party, by desire and design, is a loosely organized movement. It was inevitable that the demrats would run fake Tea Party candidates and cost us some elections. The solution isn’t to give up, but rather to educate regular Americans and ourselves. To become HONEST sophisticated political operatives. I cannot comprehend the total lack of values it would take to try and fool Americans just to keep your party in power. It is evil and the established political class is populated with such immoral people.

I know nothing about Perry or his relationship with Palin. If he gets in, I certainly will examine his record and watch how the indies respond to him. I know this for a fact: Any candidate will certainly get most of his base and not get their opponents base. That leaves the indies as the only group to sway. So GOP candidates can almost act anyway they like in the primary, but in the end they MUST have the indie vote. Everyone one of them will pander to that group of voters. Because however evil the political class is, they know elections, and we ignore that fact at our own peril.

I will be wary of any ideological candidate who cannot move to the middle. Not because that is who I am, but rather because 4 more years of Obama will be more damaging than 4 years of a RINO. We have 2010, 2012, and 2014, to vet out the RINO’s. If we elect a RINO in 2012 and he screws us, we will find someone coming out of those three cycles that we can put up to primary our guy.

Be patient! Don’t lose the war just to win one battle.

csdeven on May 26, 2011 at 3:45 AM

trigon on May 26, 2011 at 3:35 AM

I like it on paper, but I learned the hard way that you can’t use logic to battle and emotion-based belief system.

Case in point: I shared this video with my neice who is a big lib and after she watched it, she just shrugged and muttered something that was the equivalent of “I don’t care, Obama is awesome.”

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 3:46 AM

csdeven is about as conservative as is possible. He’s been here for eons. Some of you are really obtuse.

Schadenfreude on May 26, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate your comments also. Always right on!

csdeven on May 26, 2011 at 4:18 AM

I’ll take anyone over Obama. ANYONE.

TXMomof3 on May 25, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Exactly. We can worry about the rest when we get the jackhole out of the Whitehouose.

Siddhartha Vicious on May 26, 2011 at 6:14 AM

I would not mind seeing Ryan in the race. I like the man, but I am not sure Krauthammer is right here. The Democrat got less than 50% of the vote..I think it was 47%. Maybe it should not have been close, but that fakey Tea Party candidate sure as hell screwed things up.

So, yes, I think the Republicans need to do a better job of explaining and defending the program, but at the same time, this was one special election with a third party candidate. No need to panic.

Terrye on May 26, 2011 at 6:34 AM

What river?

karenhasfreedom on May 26, 2011 at 1:49 AM

Sorry, went to bed. The Souris River in Minot, North Dakota.

TXMomof3 on May 26, 2011 at 6:40 AM

There’s only one question on everyone’s mind: Will she or won’t she?

kingsjester on May 26, 2011 at 6:41 AM

kingsjester on May 26, 2011 at 6:41 AM

Um yeah, she will.
Nice blog, kj.

CTSherman on May 26, 2011 at 6:59 AM

CTSherman on May 26, 2011 at 6:59 AM

Thank you.

kingsjester on May 26, 2011 at 7:02 AM

And the pundits prattle on and don’t even hear the laughter.

SKYFOX on May 26, 2011 at 7:04 AM

Lanceman on May 26, 2011 at 12:16 AM

cmsinaz on May 26, 2011 at 7:23 AM

another fine post KJ…I’m sure she is in full prayer mode

cmsinaz on May 26, 2011 at 7:27 AM

I disagree with Charles that the Republicans are going to sink on their Medicare position. They just have to work harder on the public relations aspect and get out in front of the Dems and do a lot better job of explaining how precarious the whole entitlement funding situation is and without a restructioning on the entitlement programs in total there will be no Medicare for future retirees.

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on May 26, 2011 at 7:56 AM

WTF, Frum ???

“…we offer Medicare cuts, Medicaid cuts,…”

It doesn’t help much when a self-proclaimed “conservative” is offering up the Democrat’s primary talking point. Good job, moron.

deadrody on May 26, 2011 at 7:57 AM

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on May 26, 2011 at 7:56 AM

I don’t know if they will sink or succeed. I do know that whatever the political consequences we need people in DC to try to fix our entitlement mess. This is the reason we need and want them in office. If they are not willing to give it the utmost effort then it doesn’t matter who sits in their chair.

I hate to sound like an doomsayer, but things are really getting that bad. Camping was wrong. By all reasonable accounts, the world will just about end by around the year 2020, according to the credible projections that I have seen. We must start getting our debt under control well in advance of then or it will be too late. We will cease to be a superpower, we will cease to have any kind of social safety net, we will cease to live with anything close to the same standards that we have come to expect.

MJBrutus on May 26, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Schadenfreude on May 26, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Look, Schad, if they were not trolling, they wouldn’t spend the vast majority of their time on Palin threads. Make your goddamned point and move on.
And as far as petunia goes, so what? John F’ing Kerry served in Viet Nam, doncha know. SHould I also give that lying puke an ounce of credence?
Just because one was in the armed services does not make them immune to being wrong.
Should Charlie Rangel be forgiven for all the wrong he has committed simply because he was in Viet Nam?
If Mr.seven and petrollia are as conservative as you say, shouldn’t they act it?

Lanceman on May 26, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Lanceman on May 26, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Don’t even presume to dictate to me or anyone else what we should or should not comment on to fit your version of what a conservative is. As far as I am concerned, the Plain supporters have made their point…now move on. But they don’t. They hijack almost every thread with their incessant whining about how unfairly Palin is treated…..move on! You made your point…move on! They complain about the unfair laws of Alaska….move on! They whine about the false ethics charges….move on! She was forced to resign….move on!

You were the johnny come lately to that thread and started sticking your foot in your mouth immediately.

Sarah Palin is not the end all of conservative choices for 2012. The problem is the Palin fanatics who just cannot abide a honest assessment of Palins baggage. They are convinced that because they buy into her explanations that everyone else must or they are a troll, a traitor, or a plant from Huffpo, Obama, the GOP, or some other nefarious cabal.

I don’t see you demanding the rabid delusional Palinista’s move on from their oft repeated whining. And they should not be expected to. That is their candidate and this is the season for primary battles. But by the same token, they have to defend that candidate from the examination of her record and baggage time and time again. That is the way it is going to be until after the 2012 election (mainly because when Sarah refuses to run, they will spend the next year pi$$ing and moaning like recalcitrant babies)……so my suggestion is that anyone who cannot take the continued criticism of their candidate, move on to a different blog. Try a cooking blog or something like that you crybabies.

csdeven on May 26, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Get bent, dilweed.
Your presence here at this time right now is proof positive of your own ‘derangement’.

Lanceman on May 26, 2011 at 11:08 AM

csdeven on May 26, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Why do you continue to name call and inject your personality in the the debate?

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 11:08 AM

What do the Democrats have to say to hard-pressed voters? “Gas costs? Tough nuts. Economic recovery? Tough nuts. Deficit reduction? Tough nuts. Medicare solvency? Tough nuts. BUT==>free pink cotton candy for everyone!!!”

smellthecoffee on May 26, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Why do you continue to name call and inject your personality in the the debate?

Kataklysmic on May 26, 2011 at 11:08 AM

You wanted the personality debate. You want it, you don’t want it. Make up your mind douche bag.

csdeven on May 26, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Get bent, dilweed.

Lanceman on May 26, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Awwwww. Poor wittle lanceboy…..did you feewings get hurted? Do you need to go upstairs to get a cookie from your grammy?

Go ahead, we’ll wait till your boo-boo is alllllll better.

csdeven on May 26, 2011 at 2:19 PM