James Clyburn: Obama’s political problems are due “in large measure” to racism

posted at 9:38 pm on May 25, 2011 by Allahpundit

A fitting story on a day when Loughner’s back in the news, in case you were ever tempted to believe that the Democrats’ demand for a “new tone” post-Tucson was anything more than a cheap political bludgeon. In fact, Clyburn once offered his own theory about what drove Loughner to kill, and it was, shall we say, distinctly Clyburnesque.

In a way I’m glad that the left’s gearing up for 18 months of Mediscaring. The more time they spend accusing Republicans of wanting to kill old people, the less time they’ll spend accusing Republicans of hating black people. Demagogue us if you must, but at least change the answers to the Mad Libs every few years.

House Assistant Democratic Leader Jim Clyburn, the highest-ranking African-American in Congress, on Wednesday blamed most of President Barack Obama’s political problems on racism…

“You know, I’m 70 years old,” he said. “And I can tell you; people don’t like to deal with it, but the fact of the matter is, the president’s problems are in large measure because of the color of his skin.”…

Clyburn suggested that the “birther” movement of Americans who say Obama wasn’t born in the United States is fueled by racism.

“I don’t know why anybody didn’t ask for John McCain’s” birth certificate, Clyburn said. “He wasn’t even born in this country.”

This, of course, explains the right’s comparative fondness for white liberal presidents like, say, Jimmy Carter. I’ll say this for Clyburn: If nothing else, the man’s at least consistent. He’s been demagoging Obama’s opponents as racist since The One’s first month in office, when he hint-hinted that Mark Sanford’s and Bobby Jindal’s opposition to the stimulus was driven by some sort of animus towards blacks. Six months later, he compared ObamaCare protesters to the thugs who attacked civil-rights marchers. All he’s doing here is following his usual playbook, and of course unwittingly offering a sneak preview of the DNC’s strategy next October if the Mediscare game plan doesn’t work out and The One trails in the polls with only a few weeks to go. Sure, Americans are upset about nine-percent unemployment, high gas prices, and catastrophic federal spending — but what’s really driving the Republican nominee’s lead?

As further reading, here’s Shelby Steele gaming out the inevitable racial slant to next year’s Democratic messaging. Exit question: Is the whole Senate racist?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I looked up “incompetent” in the dictionary and found no reference to race whatsoever.

Although, next to “idiot” was James Clyburn’s picture.

Go figure.

locomotivebreath1901 on May 26, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Because he’s perfect in every other way… says Clyburn the racist.

RalphyBoy on May 26, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I once took an English Lit course in college that was taught by a woman who analyzed everything in terms of sexuality and the oppression of women. It’s the only course I ever dropped. Clyburn strikes me as the same kind of mentality, seeing all events in the world as instances of a struggle between races. What a blinkered, restricting way to go through life.

Socratease on May 26, 2011 at 12:29 PM

At the YMCA where I work out, there is this loud mouthed gay Brazilian guy who delights in screaming anti-American pro-Obama monologs at the top of his voice in the locker room and the sauna.

Sharke on May 25, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Was it the wardrobe-stealing, ‘he won’t wear the ribbon’-marching guy from Seinfeld?

James on May 26, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Interesting. So, Obama’s gaffes in England are due to us being racist. Interesting. Clyburn didn’t seem too interested when real racism was used against Herman Cain.

jdawg on May 26, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Six months of the year I live in a gated community.
After that break from reality, and coming in contact with the great unwashed, I somehow feel dirty again.
OMG I”M A RACIST!

nimrod on May 26, 2011 at 4:40 PM

When small men like Clyburn don’t succeed in obtaining what they seek, it must be all about racism. He owes his career to the race game, so why would anyone be surprised he’s still playing it now?

Red State State of Mind on May 26, 2011 at 7:01 PM

the highest-ranking African-American

When I lived in Houston years ago, one of my friends at work was an African-American. He was born in Africa (Egypt) and emigrated to the USA and then became a U S Citizen. I thought J Clyburn was born here in the US, not in Africa. If he was born in Africa, did he then later become a U S citizen?

Red State State of Mind on May 26, 2011 at 7:12 PM