Bill Clinton to Paul Ryan: The Democrats need to do something about Medicare

posted at 5:16 pm on May 25, 2011 by Allahpundit

A la Ron Burgundy, I want to say something. I’m going to put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back:

Ryan/Clinton 2012?

“So anyway, I told them before you got here, I said I’m glad we won this race in New York,” Clinton told Ryan, when the two met backstage at a forum on the national debt held by the Pete Peterson Foundation. But he added, “I hope Democrats don’t use this as an excuse to do nothing.”

Ryan told Clinton he fears that now nothing will get done in Washington.

“My guess is it’s going to sink into paralysis is what’s going to happen. And you know the math. It’s just, I mean, we knew we were putting ourselves out there. You gotta start this. You gotta get out there. You gotta get this thing moving,” Ryan said.

Clinton told Ryan that if he ever wanted to talk about it, he should “give me a call.” Ryan said he would.

Afterward, in an interview with ABC, Ryan begged Republicans not to go wobbly in the aftermath of NY-26. Quote: “This is a time for leaders to be leaders.” What’s Clinton’s game here, though? Not only did he tell Ryan privately that he hopes Democrats will act on Medicare, he said so in his speech a few minutes earlier:

Former President Bill Clinton, still widely considered one of his party’s foremost politicians, said on Wednesday that Democrats should cut a “reasonable” deal with Republicans on Medicare savings rather than conclude from Tuesday’s upset in a special Congressional election that bashing Republicans on the issue is the key to a party comeback in 2012…

“You shouldn’t draw the conclusion that the New York race means that nobody can do anything to slow the rate of Medicare costs. I just don’t agree with that,” Mr. Clinton said at a budget forum sponsored by the Peter G. Peterson Foundation. Instead, he said, “you should draw the conclusion that the people made a judgment that the proposal in the Republican budget is not the right one. I agree with that.”…

Mr. Clinton, with some passion, returned to the topic at the end of an hour-long interview. “I think the Democrats are going to have to be willing to give up, maybe, some short-term political gain by whipping up fears on some of these things — if it’s a reasonable Social Security proposal, a reasonable Medicare proposal. We’ve got to deal with these things. You cannot have health care devour the economy.”

The last thing Obama, Reid, and Schumer want before the election is one of their own elder statesmen — one who’s personally popular and famous for budget-balancing, no less — pressuring them to inch out on the Medicare limb that’s cracking under Ryan. So … why would he do it? Could be that he’s earnestly concerned about the Medicare time bomb and appreciates Ryan’s leadership on it. Remember, before Erskine Bowles was co-chair of the Deficit Commission, he was Clinton’s White House chief of staff. Or it could be that Clinton’s worried about Democrats being perceived as debt do-nothings even though the public, for the moment at least, is with them on the specific issue of Medicare. As we saw earlier today, the more the GOP can drive home to voters that preserving the program as-is necessarily means raising the debt ceiling again and again, the more potentially vulnerable Democrats are. Or maybe Clinton doesn’t much care what the White House thinks or what it might do for the Democrats’ electoral prospects. Being an ex-president means never having to say you’re sorry. Why not let it rip?

Whatever the answer, I think “We’ve got to deal with these things. You cannot have health care devour the economy” will make a dynamite little soundbite for attack ads next year. Get cracking on it, RNC.

Update: Clinton’s not the only prominent 90s politician showing boldness on Medicare reform today, but the reasons for this are far more obvious.

Comments

Funny Newt blows it again and Bill Clinton steps up.

clement on May 25, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Did you hear that?

That was the collective heads of crr6, Ernie and chumpthreads heads exploding.

angryed on May 25, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Dude.

amerpundit on May 25, 2011 at 5:21 PM

That was the collective heads of crr6, Ernie and chumpthreads heads exploding.

angryed on May 25, 2011 at 5:19 PM

The good news, the explosion does not make that much of a mess.

WashJeff on May 25, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Ryan and Clinton are both sharp guys.

dedalus on May 25, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Adults

CTSherman on May 25, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Twitter: “@jonkarl: After speaking, Clinton tells Ryan back stage, “I just basically endorsed Bowles-Simpson””

Well, Ryan voted against Bowles-Simpson… and I think that was stupid… the GOP should have taken it up once it was clear Obama was going to throw it away.

ninjapirate on May 25, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Debbie Wasserman-Shultz is NOT going to be happy.

ctmom on May 25, 2011 at 5:26 PM

He just wants to meet Ryan’s wife.

Mark1971 on May 25, 2011 at 5:26 PM

The Great Triangulator.

Hillary stirs…

Bruno Strozek on May 25, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I’m Ron Burgundy?

flyawaybird on May 25, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I’ll add a fourth theory. Hillary still wants to run in 2016. A Democrat will have a much easier time getting elected in 2016 if Obama loses in 2012. Clinton still doesn’t like Obama after the ’08 primaries, and he understands that Medicare and Social Security seriously threaten the country. Why wouldn’t Slick Willy kneecap Obama going into the election under the guise of needing to do what’s best for the country? Its win-win for the Clintons.

Lawdawg86 on May 25, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Maybe we have another adult in the Room.

Give BO a pacifier and a Guiness and put him to bed.

SayNo2-O on May 25, 2011 at 5:27 PM

The NY-26 coverage is sickening.

Basically the analysis, when injected with reality is:

Democrats can beat Republicans:

If the Democrat criticizes Obamacare’s cutting of Medicare.
If the incumbent Republican officeholder has some issues with the base.
And if there is a hoax Tea Party candidate siphoning off votes.

Yawn.

BKennedy on May 25, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Yeah, I even miss Bill Clinton.

SlaveDog on May 25, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Clinton is setting up a trap of course. He coaxes Ryan/GOP to jump the cliff, and Clinton laughs at the fall.

Apologetic California on May 25, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Ryan/Clinton 2012?

Unconstitutional.

steebo77 on May 25, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Yawn.

BKennedy on May 25, 2011 at 5:27 PM

ditto

SayNo2-O on May 25, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I’ve been rather pleasantly surprised at Bill Clinton since leaving office, but especially since 2005. He actually seemed to grow up, and he’s no dumb bunny.

Clinton came out of nowhere to win the Dem nom. and get elected to the White House. His tenure as POTUS leaves a lot to be desired…and a lot not to be forgotten or forgiven.

But dang…he’s shown himself to be a gentleman. Kudos where it’s due.

JetBoy on May 25, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Love Big Dawg.
Miss Big Dawg.

ginaswo on May 25, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Whhaaammmmeeeeeeeee!!!!!

swamp_yankee on May 25, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Clinton has a moment of lucidity and realizes the abyss is near and doesn’t want to see his demorat party telling everyone “Don’t worry, it’s not the fall that will kill you.”

Bishop on May 25, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Apologetic California on May 25, 2011 at 5:28 PM

We have already jumped. Clinton is doing Ryan a huge favor here and he absolutely did not have to. Whether that’s borne of Clinton’s own political calculations against the far-left liberals in his party, or a elder-statesman’s desire to not see his country go bankrupt, I don’t really care. We need some centrist Democrats to back Medicare and Social Security reform, and Clinton’s support would be a huge boost to the cause.

Lawdawg86 on May 25, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Have you noticed that more and more people are talking as if BHO does not exist…?

d1carter on May 25, 2011 at 5:35 PM

It may be crazy to say this, but Bill Clinton is less of a liar than Obama.

wheelgun on May 25, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Clinton isn’t stupid. The democrat position is predictable, opportunistic and retarded. It’s the past. Ryan has a hold of the future. Whether he’s premature in terms of political timing is not yet clear. But he’s seized the high ground. As the water rises, it’s where we’ll all be sooner or later. Clinton knows this.

rrpjr on May 25, 2011 at 5:39 PM

I can’t help but feel like a defeatist now-a-days. Our options are only bad and worse. Either push entitlement reforms and lose at the polls (leading to democrats doing nothing about entitlements) or don’t push it and the whole system will collapse. It’s not that any of this is new, but it’s becoming clearer and clearer by the day that we are screwed no matter what we do.

Jon Fezzik on May 25, 2011 at 5:40 PM

It may be crazy to say this, but Bill Clinton is less of a liar than Obama.

wheelgun on May 25, 2011 at 5:38 PM

The One sets the bar real low.

Of course, stuff like this make me think perhaps Hillary will challenge Obama next year for the party nomination.

JetBoy on May 25, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Well, this certainly is an interesting development…

MikeknaJ on May 25, 2011 at 5:43 PM

d1carter on May 25, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Who’s that?

ricer1 on May 25, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Ryan comes away from this looking awesome.

nickj116 on May 25, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Ryan/Clinton 2012?

Unconstitutional.

steebo77 on May 25, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Clinton/Ryan 2012 unconstitutional.
Ryan/Clinton 2012 constitutional.
22nd amendment only applies to election to presidency.
VP Clinton could even succede Ryan in case of death, impeachment, etc., only not by election.

topdog on May 25, 2011 at 5:46 PM

But dang…he’s shown himself to be a gentleman. Kudos where it’s due.

JetBoy on May 25, 2011 at 5:30 PM

I agree, I think even hanging out with President Bush has helped him.
President Bush had set, reset, the standard of decorum for exiting and past presidents, and I think President Clinton took the hint.
One thing President Clinton was, he was affable, most everyone who ever met him said that they enjoyed his company (bring the jokes on)…except for a few women.

right2bright on May 25, 2011 at 5:46 PM

OT: The Senate just voted down Ryan’s plan…

d1carter on May 25, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I can’t help but feel like a defeatist now-a-days.
Jon Fezzik on May 25, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Too bad for you. This is about as richly possible a moment for conservatives as has existed in 50 years.

rrpjr on May 25, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Instead, he (Clinton) said, “you should draw the conclusion that the people made a judgment that the proposal in the Republican budget is not the right one. I agree with that.”…

That was a weaselly way of Clinton’s to undermine Ryan’s plan really.

onlineanalyst on May 25, 2011 at 5:47 PM

the dem’s and the Repub’s are all gathered together playing patty cake and they think they have it all figured out. In reality they’re clueless regarding what the American middle class voter (the massive majority) wants. DD

Darvin Dowdy on May 25, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Hillary is set to step in if Obama continues to fail…this Israel thing could have been the tipping point.

right2bright on May 25, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Clinton may be a sleaze but he isn’t an idiot. I don’t know his motives for saying this and frankly I don’t give a d@mn. We need the backing of some Democrats or there will never be meaningful Medicare reform.

Uncle Sams Nephew on May 25, 2011 at 5:48 PM

What are Clintons thinking? I guess Hillary may take a shot at the Presidency.

antisocial on May 25, 2011 at 5:48 PM

hhaaammmmeeeeeeeee!!!!!

swamp_yankee on May 25, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Hahahaha

nickj116 on May 25, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Have you seen Hillary? She’s worn out having to lie for Obama… I think she’s done.

wheelgun on May 25, 2011 at 5:49 PM

I don’t care who gets the debt under control. I just want it done. And it will not be done without some bi-partisanship. If it as seen as Democrats against Republicans we will sink under the weight of our debt.

I bet the fact that I said that means I’m not a real conservative…

petunia on May 25, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I bet the fact that I said that means I’m not a real conservative…

petunia on May 25, 2011 at 5:51 PM

So you would vote for Palin.

wheelgun on May 25, 2011 at 5:53 PM

My God. What else does Ryan need to signal to him that he needs to run for president and lead on this issue at the national level?

Clinton may be slick and unscrupulous, but he isn’t stupid and I think he generally loves the country and can see the implosion coming if nothing is done. You also know that his ego doesn’t want Obama to get re-elected.

This is starting to get incredibly frustrating. We have a guy with a plan who can see the problem heading straight towards us and says he wants to lead, but he refuses to be bothered by the inconveniences of being a leader.

cpaulus on May 25, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Lawdawg86 on May 25, 2011 at 5:26 PM

And they’re both young enough (if Bill’s heart doesn’t give out) that they could be doing this for another 20 years.

kim roy on May 25, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Sad, very sad, that Ryan even feels the need to think in these terms. GOP wins 60 seats in 2010, no big deal. NY-26 goes to Dems, all hell is breaking loose. I’m simply dumbfounded that our political situation has reached this state.

Erich66 on May 25, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Man…I’d vote for that ticket.

cpaulus on May 25, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Yep, and I’m pretty sure that if he chose to start backing candidates against Obama on either side of the aisle, starting this summer, he could be instrumental in devastating him. Back in ’07, Obama had the gloss. It’s gone.

MadisonConservative on May 25, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Debbie Wasserman-Shultz is NOT going to be happy.

ctmom on May 25, 2011 at 5:26 PM

She’s a “progressive”. They’re never happy.

SouthernGent on May 25, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Oh geeez…look at everyone….oh now, so Billy boy is a great person? He’s real? I’d give him a chance????? BS…he is still a snake oil salesman (just like Odumba$$) and y’all are doing that stupid McCain cr@p of “reaching across the aisle” to make fwends. I.DON’T.THINK.SO.! Don’t fall for it! It’s a freakin trap!

sicoit on May 25, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Adults

[CTSherman on May 25, 2011 at 5:25 PM]

Yup. As I’m sure crr6 would say, “even-handed and mature”.

Dusty on May 25, 2011 at 6:01 PM

sicoit on May 25, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I hear you.

rrpjr on May 25, 2011 at 6:02 PM

I bet the fact that I said that means I’m not a real conservative…

petunia on May 25, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Tru dat, petunia. btw the new thing now is we’re the same person…just a heads-up.

Anyway, totally agreed, doesn’t matter who fixes it, just do it.

JetBoy on May 25, 2011 at 6:04 PM

[d1carter on May 25, 2011 at 5:35 PM]

Yeah, well, no one else can teleport themselves back to 2008, so why bother.

Dusty on May 25, 2011 at 6:04 PM

That race was not lost due to Ryan’s budget. The Dem won by bashing Obamacare stealing Medicare dollars, and the GOP sitting on her ass, not fighting, and not reminding everyone that any person 55 years or older WOULD.SEE.NO.CHANGE.

That is what the GOP need to be doing right now, not running like sissy little girly men…

ladyingray on May 25, 2011 at 6:05 PM

i think there’s a little routine called Good Cop/Bad Cop.

Here’s the key. If you do a survey with a question on who do you Trust more on Reforming Medicare, what would you get?

D’s by a 10 point margin.

So this is the beginning of their two pronged strategy. 1. Ryan is extreme 2. Yes, we need to reform things 3. who do you want to do it…Ryan, the nut? or us, the people who represent the people’s interests over the rich and evil forces in the world.

So that’s their strategy…we’ll make sure you are safe. Now the Left will go hysterical because it will lead to means testing Medicare/SS. Rs have been fine with that for years (Reagan). It is the Left who has shrieked about the program being a program for all….not just another welfare program. But it will wind up being a Welfare program. And the D’s and R’s will do it under the leadership of…Dims

r keller on May 25, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I watched about 45 seconds of Rachel Maddow last night on MNSBC. In that brief period of time, she said about half a dozen times that Paul Ryan wants to “kill” or “murder” Medicare.

I think Bill Clinton is well-intentioned here, but I doubt the left-wing loons in his party (the majority) are going to take his advice. They’ll just keep demagoguing the issue until our economy is belly-up.

AZCoyote on May 25, 2011 at 6:17 PM

22nd amendment only applies to election to presidency.

topdog on May 25, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Wrong, Amendment XII prohibits that:

“But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.[2]”

ebrown2 on May 25, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Ryan must’ve been skipping back to his office.

Hopefully, this will light a fire under a few asses.

The Ugly American on May 25, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Because it makes Obama look wrong and out of touch.

Vyce on May 25, 2011 at 6:28 PM

ebrown2 on May 25, 2011 at 6:18 PM

I stand corrected. Thank you!

topdog on May 25, 2011 at 6:29 PM

I stand corrected. Thank you!

topdog on May 25, 2011 at 6:29 PM

You’re welcome!

ebrown2 on May 25, 2011 at 6:46 PM

ladyingray on May 25, 2011 at 6:05 PM

That is exactly right. I heard a caller on Tom Sullivan yesterday in her early 60′s renouncing her status as a Republican, she went on to say it was because of Ryan and the fact he was taking away medicare & social security, heh. She blathered on that she and her husband didn’t have pensions or IRA’s and if the republicans were taking away their benefits they were voting democrat because they wouldn’t be able to afford to live.

This is how ill-informed 60 year old Republicans are because Democrats have the frickin megaphone and we sit idly by.

You better get the FU** out in front of this now Republicans because your lifelong habit of keeping your heads in your a**es is not going to work anymore.

Tim Zank on May 25, 2011 at 6:48 PM

yowser….kudos to bubba…

cmsinaz on May 25, 2011 at 7:01 PM

kim roy on May 25, 2011 at 5:56 PM

His heart is not going anywhere. As long has Hillary’s cameras are working. Old age? You will see them very active in 2044 elections. You are not so lucky. See Carter is still around… and Active :-)

antisocial on May 25, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Dusty on May 25, 2011 at 6:04 PM

lol

cmsinaz on May 25, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Dusty on May 25, 2011 at 6:04 PM

LOL

d1carter on May 25, 2011 at 7:14 PM

You don’t say, Slick Willie. Smart power.

Philly on May 25, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Did you hear that?

That was the collective heads of crr6, Ernie and chumpthreads heads exploding.

angryed

Oh goody … a one mega-twit explosion …..

BD57 on May 25, 2011 at 7:17 PM

F U San Diego.

As for this exchange, it’s amazing that Clinton sees the danger in his Party doing nothing to pass a budget or fix the unsustainable Medicare and SS programs but they sure can whip out some scare tactics and vote these bills down and pretend like they’ve accomplished something beneficial.

Yakko77 on May 25, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Be careful who you talk to, Mr. Ryan. Slick is not your friend, do not call him. He probably had that video taken to show how buddy buddy you are with him. Remember, the Clintons are all about the Clintons.

Kissmygrits on May 25, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Sad that even Clinton is saying things like this while people here are already saying Ryan’s budget is dead and we need to move on.

When your fiscal chops are being topped by Clinton you just got shamed.

MikeknaJ on May 25, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Assuming the pols in DC do nothing re Ryan’s plan, SS, medicaid, Obamacare, etc. I hope I live long enough to see the total chaos that results. I suspect I will since it appears meltdown will be sooner rather than later. It will be fun, for me in a vindictive sort of way, watching the riots and burning cities when younger people revolt over having to give the feds 70, 80, 90% of their paychecks- if they even have a job- to support entitlements etc and when they pay $400.00 for a loaf of bread. It will really get exciting when they invade DC and begin stringing up the pols. There will not be enough cops/feds or military to stop a nationwide rebellion. It will be our own French revolution.

JimP on May 25, 2011 at 9:26 PM

I think it’s a mixer of a few things. I agree with a lot of you.

Clinton not wanting to be associated with the present and future losses by the Democrats (this one race being an exception to the trend that Clinton knows is real). Let it all fall on Obama (where it should) and leave Clinton as the shining Democratic legacy.

I think the Clintons personally and politically do not like Obama. Let Dems never forget they made a mistake electing Obama over Hillary.

And I also think that Clinton does love this country (unlike Obama who doesn’t even like this country) and doesn’t like the direction it’s going in. I never bought into him being a moderate Dem, but he was a realistic one and not a far left lunatic.

I will never forget how he tried to socialized med, the lies he told, the assaults on women or the technology he let the Chinese get. But after Obama, I’m nostalgic for the Clinton years.

On a lighter note, Clinton always had terrific political skills and instincts. You have to hand it to him. He was sharp. He always reminded me of Charles Durney singing “Oooo, I love to dance a little sides step” as the Texas Governor in Best Little Whore House in Texas.

Elisa on May 25, 2011 at 10:58 PM

THE BIG DAWG IS OFF DA PORCH AND RIDIN’ DIRTY AGAIN ON BARACK!

Dude! One side of me would say that Billy Jeff doesn’t give a frig, and is speaking candidly.

But there’s a part of me that knows he’s the dude that had the brass to debate what the meaning of “is” is, on the stand, as POTUS.

He’s a schemer, par excellance, and part of me wonders whether this is some form of payback, is he tellin’ O! to tighten up, or is he setting the stage for Hillz to primary Obama from the right!, in light of the GOP field of lukewarm candidates.

RocketmanBob on May 25, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Bill Clinton’s kind words for Paul Ryan’s efforts could be somewhat of a game-changer, giving Congressman Ryan bipartisan credibility at a time when the Republicans might have been considering throwing him under the bus.

It could easily be the work of a Centrist Democrat trying to push his party into addressing a serious issue.

And now for some crazy probably bullshit speculation.

If Bill Clinton wants his wife to be elected President in 2016, he might think that the best way for that to happen is Paul Ryan beating Obama.

Ryan’s young, has a compelling narrative, speaks credibly on economic issues and he’s qualified enough (Congressman since Clinton’s last term. Chairman of an important committee. Arguably the Republican’s intellectual leader on the deficit.) He could be an effective Republican nominee. He might be pushed into running for President just to have a better pulpit to discuss his economic plans.

And a Bill Clinton could see Paul Ryan as an Ayn Rand nut, whose big deficit reduction plan involves further tax cuts for the rich. In Clinton’s eyes, Ryan’s a potential immensely unpopular one-term President.

Hillary has a great chance of being the Democratic presidential nominee in 2016, regardless of whether or not Obama is re-elected. But it’s rare for a party to hold the White House for more than three terms (Reagan/ Bush was the only recent example since Ike was President). And it’s rarer still for a party to hold the White House for more than four terms.

So a legendary triangulator like Bill might think Hillary’s chances of serving two terms as President are higher if a controversial Republican takes out Obama, and spends four years making necessary but potentially unpopular fiscal decisions.

Mister Mets on May 26, 2011 at 1:46 AM

It’s obvious that Democrat’s horse to victory in 2012 was Mediscare. Granny under the bus, starving children etc. Clinton is the first crack in Obama’s 2012 strategy for 4 more years. Why? Well they don’t call him Slick Willie for nothing. Clinton’s haven’t forgot 2008. I see this as payback Big Time because the Democrats will have to come up with a plan and the big secret is: They ain’t got a plan.

Herb on May 26, 2011 at 10:22 AM