The strange scoop at Daily Caller

posted at 10:02 am on May 24, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Call it … vaguely Shakespearean.  The Daily Caller’s Jonathan Strong reports today on a string of direct messages on Twitter from the account of Sarah Palin spokesperson Rebecca Mansour that is filled with the unguarded opinions of … Rebecca Mansour.  There’s no denying a certain voyeuristic intrigue of looking in someone else’s mailbox, but in the end, it’s hardly a journalistic scoop to find out that one of the top aides to one potential candidate doesn’t think much of the other candidates or those who criticize her boss.  The piece is almost literally filled with sound and fury that signifies … nothing at all:

A series of messages forwarded to The Daily Caller show a top aide to former Alaska Gov. and possible presidential candidate Sarah Palin mocking top political figures and even her boss’s own daughter, Bristol Palin.

Red State Editor-in-Chief and CNN contributor Erick Erickson is “a total douchebag,” wrote Palin speechwriter and domestic policy adviser Rebecca Mansour in a May 22, 2010, message. “Greasy dumb ass with a talent for self-promotion. He threw himself in at the Gov’s SC rally. Self-promotion.” (Erickson said South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley invited him to the rally).

Mitt Romney supporters are “wacky as hell,” Mansour wrote, but usually Romney’s presence online is just an “AstroTurf brigade.”

I guess this would be a scoop if Rebecca was running for the presidency.  Since she’s not, it’s more of an oversold “meh.”  Even the messages about Bristol Palin are less than advertised.  Mansour was responding at the time to the announcement that Bristol and Levi Johnston had decided to get married, an announcement that certainly caused heads to snap in more places than Palin Central.

Also, these messages were not intended for public consumption.  Whoever turned over these messages to Strong had Mansour’s trust, at least at one time.  I suspect that Mansour has learned a lesson about supposedly private communications in the political world, but that’s about the biggest news scoop in this story.  Otherwise, the messages themselves are little more than gossipy, transient thoughts.

I asked Jonathan Strong, whose work I normally like, to comment on the story, and he responded:

The messages reveal information about Palin’s political plans and interaction with other campaigns, and also show the judgement of one of her top aides, and by extension, Palin herself. They show a Palin aide leaking damaging information about an enemy in the media. They’re also of interest to readers, who can judge for themselves how well Palin is being served by her staff.

Well, having been around a few election cycles, I can attest that every campaign likes to push negative information about their opponents.  I’ve probably received a couple of those types of messages already this morning, and I’m sure I’ll get more by the end of the day, too.  “Leaking damaging information” is what they do.  Being shocked by that, or even considering it news, is approaching Captain Louis Renault territory.

Judgment, of course, is a different matter.  Clearly Mansour chose to trust the wrong person in this instance.  And if Rebecca was running for President or Congress, that might be a story.  This is only pertinent to whomever might consider Mansour for her next position.

Note: I want to add that I’ve been in contact with Rebecca for at least a couple of years and she has always handled communications professionally with me, for whatever that’s worth.

Update: Ben Smith at Politico reports that someone has been attempting to peddle these messages for a few months, although in the end, it appears that no money changed hands.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I’ve been getting a serious Yolanda Saldívar vibe off this story….

apostic on May 24, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Judgment, of course, is a different matter.

I am continually amazed that people don’t understand that what they put out on Twitter, facebook, etc… is now “out”.

mankai on May 24, 2011 at 10:06 AM

But, but It’s Sarah Palin….Anything we get on her is news….

sandee on May 24, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Uh, is she wrong? I recall many on here had the same sentiment when Erickson lied about having some sort of giant scoop about the Haley alleged affair.

Doughboy on May 24, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Doughboy on May 24, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Agree with you 100%

sandee on May 24, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Rebecca Mansour = not very smart.

tetriskid on May 24, 2011 at 10:08 AM

It’s wrong that “greasy dumbass” just made me laugh, isn’t it?

Bee on May 24, 2011 at 10:08 AM

She sounds like some of our very own Palin cultists, lol!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on May 24, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Palin is probably suspicious of professionals, but in that case she’ll have to do a better job vetting the amateurs.

Seth Halpern on May 24, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Tingles and the rest of the lsm will have a field day with this crapola

cmsinaz on May 24, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Haha. Well, if Tucker Carlson had any designs on repairing his relationshiop with Palin after his “President of MILFistan” tweet, those just went out the window.

Kataklysmic on May 24, 2011 at 10:10 AM

After RedStates “Will Folks v NIcki Haley” “promise” to release damning info – that was nothing more than a stunt – lets me know Palins staffer is dead on.

He is a tool.

And I dont think labeling Romney as an “astroturfer” on everything is a … bad thing

But more importantly – the weather storm ready Palin is laughing at this , for its the stuff they dont avoid, they embrace.

Odie1941 on May 24, 2011 at 10:11 AM

—————————————————

So then the question will be, which candidate is Strong doing this for?

Let the fiery purge begin…

the_nile on May 24, 2011 at 10:11 AM

mankai on May 24, 2011 at 10:06 AM

An obvious yet excellent, necessary point. Baffles me that political operatives and candidates aren’t more mindful.

Bee on May 24, 2011 at 10:11 AM

But, but It’s Sarah Palin….Anything we get on her is news….

sandee on May 24, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Yup. Even if it is not actually Palin but simpley someone close to her…

Fallon on May 24, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Tempest–teapot.

davidk on May 24, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Oh wow. A political staffer thinks someone is a d-bag and said so. UNPRECEDENTED. At least there is honesty there as compared to the majority of pols and politicians. I like that, regardless of whether or not I agree with the opinion. This is a plus for Palin as far as I’m concerned. She hires honest people who speak their minds.

JimP on May 24, 2011 at 10:12 AM

“simply” Gaaah!

Fallon on May 24, 2011 at 10:13 AM

This is a perfect example of another thread where people say that Palin supporters are “too sensitive”…this is what Palin has to put up with, nothing story’s even being blown out of proportion, it is ludicrous the amount of attention given.

right2bright on May 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Oh noes, yet another red herring for JetBoy and chumpy to use to dismiss Palin as unelectable.

fossten on May 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM

OT: But the CBS radio news is already making a big deal out of the NY race today and touting it as a bellweather for “Voters souring because of the Ryan budget.” They must be pretty sure they’re going to win if they’re throwing it all out there like this.

hawkdriver on May 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Sarah Palin sure gets the right people all wee weed up….LOL

idesign on May 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Hey Ed? Tell that DC weasel Strong to release the leaker’s side of the conversation. I’d wager they was a good deal of baiting Monsour on that side of the equation.

TC@LeatherPenguin on May 24, 2011 at 10:17 AM

These were private messages sent from one person to another.

Jon0815 on May 24, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Doughboy on May 24, 2011 at 10:07 AM

She’s not wrong , but some of it could be bad for Palin if it would leak. You dont put that in text if you’re professional and dont wont it out there.

This looks like a firm lesson for Mansour before the game begins.

the_nile on May 24, 2011 at 10:18 AM

TC@LeatherPenguin on May 24, 2011 at 10:17 AM

They will never do that.

Mansour might as well release the name since whoever she trusted was a scumbag.

tetriskid on May 24, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Having read some of the comments from a competing blog it is no surprise. I hope Hot-Air continues to stay above some of the gutter tripe available.

fourdeucer on May 24, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Kataklysmic on May 24, 2011 at 10:10 AM

As I recall, Eric Ericson added after Carlson’s tweet about Milfistan that he nedded a passport to go there. That was uncalled for. From that moment, I lost a lot of respect I had for Eric Ericson. I completely agree with Mansur on that.

preciousbox on May 24, 2011 at 10:19 AM

mankai on May 24, 2011 at 10:06 AM

I agree with you, but in this case these weren’t open tweets. They were PM’s. While RAM made a mistake by trusting the cretin, the messages were “private”.

NoNails on May 24, 2011 at 10:20 AM

This looks like a firm lesson for Mansour before the game begins.

the_nile on May 24, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Mansour calling fellow conservatives and Republicans names is not a story. Had she said bad things about Democrats or libs, then the media would be up in arms.

But I don’t see how this is a story. You mean people on the right sometimes criticize each other and say mean things? I never would’ve guessed that based on conservative blogs such as this.

/sarc

Doughboy on May 24, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Maybe this about bho might have something to do with this coming out on Sarah? Sarah is not shy going after bho and it could be the team thinks she is going to run and getting stuff on her as they are Christie?

L

letget on May 24, 2011 at 10:26 AM

With the MSM, as far as Sarah Palin is concerned, it’s a scorched earth policy. Anything and everything they can put out that can be perceived as negative they will. Not only that, but I’ll bet there will be some talk show, on the cable networks, pick this up also.

Until Sarah Palin says she’s not in, expect there to be more negative. They can’t allow her to run.

bflat879 on May 24, 2011 at 10:27 AM

NoNails on May 24, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Most were harmless bashing of douchbags. But the inside stuff about the Palin family she should not have put into text.

the_nile on May 24, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Oh come on, folks. If this were a staffer for Mitt calling Palin a dummy, you’d be outraged, demanding that Mitt get his act together, and that if these are the people who chooses to employ, he’s even worse than we thought.

OF COURSE this is an issue. It wasn’t Palin herself, but she apparently hires top aides who act like teen-aged idiots. That would be a problem with any other candidate if this wasn’t the Sarah-messiah.

TheBlueSite on May 24, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Mediscare worked once again hawkdriver?

cmsinaz on May 24, 2011 at 10:28 AM

She’s not wrong, but some of it could be bad for Palin if it would leak.

the_nile on May 24, 2011 at 10:18 AM

She needs to learn to “request anonymity” to leak the information as an “anonymous source” “off the record” like they do it in the Romney camp. Right? :)

Fallon on May 24, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Is this all it was about? The way Ace was ranting and raving I thought it was something more. That guy has to get off his obsession with bashing Palin.

Blake on May 24, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I haven’t read the story and am not about to give DC traffic for something like this. I’ve read three stories on this, though, and I’ve not seen anything relating to “interactions with campaigns”. Is this an inadvertent ‘tell’ that the person she was writing to is an aid to another campaign? Further, I didn’t see any damaging info about an enemy in the media, unless he means that Erik Erikson is, in truth, a d$$chebag.

Can somebody help me out here. What, exactly, is there that justifies these characterizations by Strong?

BTW, did Strong’s story include the text sent by the receiver of the Mansour’s Twitter Direct messages?

Dusty on May 24, 2011 at 10:30 AM

TheBlueSite on May 24, 2011 at 10:28 AM

You’re right. And when Mitt’s aids started bashing Palin before the 2008 election even took place, we were outraged.

Kataklysmic on May 24, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Too bad there’s nothing in there about Ace Of Spades HQ…DRAMA!

SouthernGent on May 24, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Monsour’s opinion of Erick Erickson is spon on. She could have included the word a-hole.

bw222 on May 24, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Kataklysmic on May 24, 2011 at 10:31 AM

So you’re also outraged over this then?

TheBlueSite on May 24, 2011 at 10:33 AM

I don’t know about “leaking”…

“….I’ve been waiting for this one to break for a few months, as somebody tried to sell me the same emails last fall.

“Does Politico pay for exclusives? Cause I’m looking to sell. I have 122 direct messages from Sarah Palin staffer Rebecca Mansour,” the person emailed, eventually sending along sample direct messages identical to a couple the Caller posted. They were forwarded from the account of one improbably named Toki de la Vega, a contributor to some pro-Palin sites, though there was a man’s name attached to one of the tweets as well.

I responded with a counter-offer of lunch and “undying gratitude.”

tencole on May 24, 2011 at 10:33 AM

This shows Palin’s judgment? Really? I don’t think so. Does anybody really believe aides and candidates don’t harbor and discuss others in terms they’d never say in public? Does anybody honestly believe that there’s a foolproof way to screen for moles/turncoats/leakers on their staff?
Aside from the gossip value, what readers need to judge if Palin is being well served or not?

cartooner on May 24, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Well, I guess Strong won’t be getting much more info from the Palin camp. I wonder if he’s a Romneybot.

darwin on May 24, 2011 at 10:34 AM

fourdeucer on May 24, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Come on. You’ve been here long enough. You cannot really speak your mind without fear of being banned.
But I guess it works both ways, or we’d still be enjoying narutoputz’ company.

Lanceman on May 24, 2011 at 10:36 AM

So by Strong’s logic, Palin’s political aides and staffers are not allowed to express their own opinions–especially in what is supposed to be private conversation. Because it reflects on Palin herself??

So when Romney’s aides publicly mock Palin does that reflect on him? Or his Palin held to yet another different standard? Strong is an idiot using pretzel logic to trash Palin. Period.

Redneck Woman on May 24, 2011 at 10:37 AM

/sarc

Doughboy on May 24, 2011 at 10:23 AM

I dont worry over the political stuff, that just shows she’s doing her job, it’s her talk about palins thoughts about bristols moves, that stuff she shouldn’t text.
The media has targeted her trough her family , she should not give them ammo.

the_nile on May 24, 2011 at 10:37 AM

hawkdriver, your OT/ is what I’ve been hearing for weeks now. If/when we lose this seat in NY today the media will say it is the end of the Republican party and Ryan. The tidal wave is over. Best we let them suffer under this delusion….

sandee on May 24, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Oh come on, folks. If this were a staffer for Mitt calling Palin a dummy, you’d be outraged… TheBlueSite on May 24, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Wouldn’t someone badmouthing Sarah be kinda dog-bites-man?

Akzed on May 24, 2011 at 10:37 AM

I have said worse things right here.

I wonder why Politico is protecting the weasel that released private messages. It seems like their career is in more jeopardy.

faraway on May 24, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Judgment, of course, is a different matter. Clearly Mansour chose to trust the wrong person in this instance.

and more importantly, she lied blatantly.

Mansour changed her story from an initial denial to anger (“this is really kind of skeezy”), bargaining (“can I just appeal to you to leave the Bristol stuff alone?”), and sadness at the consequences of her words (“this is going to destroy my reputation simply because people will say, ‘why were you sending a direct [message to a Palin activist]?’”).

comedy gold.

sesquipedalian on May 24, 2011 at 10:40 AM

What are our Concern Trolls going to do if Sarah Palin gets elected? The term “tantrum” comes to mind.

kingsjester on May 24, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Cheney has said worse things about the opponent, President Bush said worse about a reporter, calling an opponent a name is hardly “news at 11:00″.
But, running a campaign to undermine an opponent with innuendos and lies, when that opponent is of the same party is wrong.
What candidate did that last election cycle? Hint, he can’t make up his mind what he supports…

right2bright on May 24, 2011 at 10:42 AM

I would have thought the post has something to do with that big Star of David conspicuously hanging around her neck in the picture.

BrunoMitchell on May 24, 2011 at 10:44 AM

“I did actually send him one direct message. He was asking for – it was like something really innocuous – he was just asking for information about something. And I just replied and said, ‘no’ or something like that. And then the kid then used that and started to create direct messages. And that was like a real serious thing for me because I realized anyone can do that with like a screencap,” Mansour explained.

Serious question. How old is Mansour?? She sounds like a teenager in these messages and her subsequent messages to DC.

Like, oh my God, I like realized that like a screencap could totally like be used to create like a false impression sorta thingy. Like, totally not cool.

TheBlueSite on May 24, 2011 at 10:46 AM

So you’re also outraged over this then?

TheBlueSite on May 24, 2011 at 10:33 AM

I am outraged, but it’s more related to people who have hated Palin since day 1, and tried to spin any small story about her into some disqualifying event, trying to blow this nothingburger up into some big deal. As Ace said, the story here is that someone at the DC has no scruples. For PDSers like yourself to try and equivocate a Palin staffer criticizing Romney in a private message to a Mitt staffer trying to damage Palin by leaking rumors about her to media outlet before the presidential election would be comedy gold if it weren’t so sad. Think about that–they were willing to harm McCain/Palin’s chances in the election to further their own policitcal aspirations.

Oh, and want another example of team Romney taking first blood? I bet you could hardly control your outrage.

Kataklysmic on May 24, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Monsour’s opinion of Erick Erickson is spot on. She just left out the word a-hole.

bw222 on May 24, 2011 at 10:48 AM

TheBlueSite on May 24, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Why? Do you need a date?

kingsjester on May 24, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Typical DC looking for a story. We are talking info about a year old which in politics is a long time. Did anyone who saw the video of Mitt as the bear in the woods really think the Palin community loved him?

katiejane on May 24, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Ed – Can I ask a stupid question? If this is so unfair and inconsequential why are you posting it here?

bw222 on May 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM

She didn’t call Romney names, and I doubt Palin instructed her to dish dirt in any case – although it’s conceivable that what Sarah sometimes says around the house would make me blush. So I don’t consider this remotely equivalent to Romney’s tactics. But it’s not exactly Dale Carnegie 101 either.

Seth Halpern on May 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM

You’re right, I would.
I AM outraged at RAM, but then on the other hand, this was a correspondence between two supposed “friends” and I feel bad for her that she was duked, RAM obviously really, really trusted this person.
Lesson well learned.

BTW….Erickson IS a douche.
And all I can say about Bristol is….
At that time when she announced to the world…without even telling her family first….that she was marrying that looser, trust me, ALL of us in Palinville wanted to disown her.

tencole on May 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM

The story is WHO leakes it and does it have anything to do with a book that’s coming out?

golfmann on May 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM

mankai on May 24, 2011 at 10:06 AM

These were private messages sent from one person to another.

Jon0815 on May 24, 2011 at 10:18 AM

There is nothing, NOTHING sent electronically that is safe.
Think of it as your personal diary and key in your snoopy little brother’s hands. And he not only has the diary and key but he also has the phone number of your secret crush.

What could possibly go wrong?

Lily on May 24, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Sarah is not as pure as the wind driven snow? Say it ain’t so! Why, why, my whole concept of Her Holiness has been shattered beyond all belief!! I can’t believe I feel for such a shamefully slick presentation!! Oh my word, I am crushed. Crushed, I tell you!! That buxom Artic Tundra Barbie will get not a dime nor my support ever!

And her party? Crooks and liars, all of them!! I suppose I have no choice but to support our brave young President and give him another four years to keep those crazies from the seats of power. My eyes have been fully opened, MSM! You guys were right, and I was wrong. Please forgive my ignorance, and give me a chance to make it all up in the next election cycle.

FOOLED YOU!! Bwuhahahaha!! Like I am going trust you guys after you collectively quit your jobs in 2008. Um, right.

Psst: Hey MSM, your political bigotry is showing again.

itzWicks on May 24, 2011 at 10:53 AM

why should I decide this is even true?

golfmann on May 24, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Well, see, we were.

Because the Mitt folks are not having private conversations with friends…they’re saying it openly and on the record.

Do you see the difference here?

On the record…vs…kvetching with a friend?

powerpro on May 24, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Kataklysmic on May 24, 2011 at 10:47 AM

LOL. See. If you don’t support Palin you have a derangement syndrome.

I wonder if Palinistas realize that their actions (you dislike Palin as a candidate, you have a sickness!!!!) make their candidate even more unappealing. Sort of the way Obamabots made Obama not only wrong on the issues but downright creepy in the messianic themes they pushed.

TheBlueSite on May 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM

The fact that this stuff is now public knowledge, does prove that Palin does not run a tight well managed ship.

It doesn’t really matter what is in the emails… but that people who were once loyal to her want to do this.

It isn’t just one guy anymore.

petunia on May 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I am not trying to be a smart a** but I can’t figure out the obsession with Palin if she has no shot. If this is so why do they go on and on. Is it that they want to destroy her for the sport of it? I just don’t get it.

KBird on May 24, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I would just not ever write anything like that down. Why send emails bad-mouthing anyone? Nothing good comes out of it.

If you are in politics, then only think and say things that you could say publicly.

jeffn21 on May 24, 2011 at 10:56 AM

it’s more of an oversold “meh.”

I totally agree, but since it’s remotely related to Palin, it will be the drive-by’s lead story by 6PM.
This will be HUUUUge and will trump Libya, tornado destruction and even the Casy Anthony trial.

kooly on May 24, 2011 at 10:57 AM

LOL. See. If you don’t support Palin you have a derangement syndrome.

TheBlueSite on May 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Bwahahaha! This from one of the most prolific ABP Trolls and true examples of PDS on HA. Methinks thou dost protest too much.

kingsjester on May 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM

powerpro on May 24, 2011 at 10:54 AM

No, the point is if Palin gets a pass because it was a staffer saying stuff, Mitt also gets a pass if a staffer or someone else said something negative.

The people you surround yourself with speak to your own character. Palin surrounds herself with top aides that talk like and act like teen-aged drama queens it would seem.

You can’t have it both ways.

TheBlueSite on May 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM

So Palin said Romney is a “greasy dumb ass with talent for self promotion“!?

Oh, wait…

profitsbeard on May 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM

KBird on May 24, 2011 at 10:56 AM

That is exactly why so many want to see her run. She will destroy Obama. The democrats are scared to death of her and they know it. She has a unique situation/demeanor. She is far from a politician/washington insider and she has experience. Pair her up with Herman Cain and we are in great shape.

jeffn21 on May 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Great. If there’s anything to do with Palin, petrollia is sure to sniff it out.

Lanceman on May 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM

No shortage of utter trash in this country, willing to sell their “friends” for a buck, or some face time with an airhead on TV, is there?

MNHawk on May 24, 2011 at 11:00 AM

petunia on May 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM

How do you figure that exactly?

Because Palin didn’t demand that RAM not share her personal feelings with friends in private? Because she didn’t bug her computer? What??

powerpro on May 24, 2011 at 11:00 AM

TheBlueSite on May 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I appreciate your concern. /

idesign on May 24, 2011 at 11:01 AM

And all I can say about Bristol is….

tencole on May 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM

But at least Bristol got Levi to officially say he had lied about Palin…

Though i fully understand how emotionally she thought this was a good idea.

Let’s say her name was Mitch Daniels, and his wife…

the_nile on May 24, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Wasn’t Steve Schmidt a McCain hire?

MNHawk on May 24, 2011 at 11:02 AM

It isn’t just one guy anymore.

petunia on May 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Did you even read the crap you just wrote? What do any of RAM’s DMs have to do with her loyalty? She didn’t say anything bad about Sarah. She said all families can’t be the Cleavers. I think everyone knows that the Palins aren’t the Cleavers. What family is?

You’re last sentence is just plain dog-faced stooopid.

NoNails on May 24, 2011 at 11:03 AM

MNHawk on May 24, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Yep. But the sprite never lets the facts get in the way of PDS.

kingsjester on May 24, 2011 at 11:03 AM

MNHawk on May 24, 2011 at 11:02 AM

McCain was a terrible candidate that we got thanks to clueless primary voters.

TheBlueSite on May 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM

You can’t have it both ways.

TheBlueSite on May 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Noooooo. The point is what’s said as a representative of a campaign, publicly and for the record versus privately sharing your personal feelings about life, the universe and everything with a friend.

Now if RAM treated folks like this publicly…then sure, I’d go with what you’re saying.

It’s not. And thus the difference. RAM wasn’t working as a Palin staffer…she was a woman gabbing with a friend over virtual lattes…saying the kinds of things anyone does when their hair is down and they’re among friends. She was taken by someone who pretended for two years to be her friend. Trust had been earned.

This doesn’t reflect poorly on Palin at all, as much as it looks like you want it to be. Or maybe need it to be. It reflects the worst on the Daily Caller, for showing itself to be nothing more than TMZ: Political Edition.

And of course the “friend”…who I hope gets his due.

And to a small extent… to RAM…but a very small extent. Her sentiments were not politic… but they weren’t meant to be for public consumption in the first place.

powerpro on May 24, 2011 at 11:07 AM

You’re just plain dog-faced stooopid.

NoNails on May 24, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Fixed.

Uncle Sams Nephew on May 24, 2011 at 11:07 AM

MNHawk on May 24, 2011 at 11:00 AM

In the fight for big government and crony capitalism , nothing will be spared.

the_nile on May 24, 2011 at 11:07 AM

TheBlueSite on May 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I’ll tell you what: I’ll give you a chance to prove that this is a big deal. Find me one HA commenter who was previously positively disposed to Palin (someone who had made a positive comment about her here in the past 90 days) who has now changed their opinion of her becasue of this story.

Kataklysmic on May 24, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Oh and I say the above as someone who’s had the privilege of interviewing some media figures, who during the course of the talk, said things to me that if it got out, would make them look bad.

Not that it was earth-shattering…just things that might cause them PR issues. So they’d catch themselves and say, Oh, don’t include that in the interview please. And so I’d cut it because the point was to promote them and their project. I had their best interests in mind.

That was from a few conversations where a rapport was built. Imagine now having an online friendship spanning years…and imagine the familiarity and rapport that develops from that.

powerpro on May 24, 2011 at 11:10 AM

It isn’t just one guy anymore.

petunia on May 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM

How does this prove Palin doesn’t run a “tight well-managed ship”???? Because someone betrayed the trust of one of her aides? How is that Palin’s fault?

And who are you talking about when you say “people who were once loyal to her”? What people? Do you have proof the person who leaked Mansour’s statements was someone Palin knew and was at one time loyal to her?

Redneck Woman on May 24, 2011 at 11:10 AM

You’re last sentence is just plain dog-faced stooopid.

[NoNails on May 24, 2011 at 11:03 AM]

You’re being too kind. The whole comment was.

Dusty on May 24, 2011 at 11:11 AM

How come only the right has turncoats?

Lanceman on May 24, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Like the Jewish star, Sarah. Looks good on you.

smellthecoffee on May 24, 2011 at 11:12 AM

I’m surprised that Tucker Carlson would green light something like this.

They must be getting desperate for hits over at what was billed to become the right-wing HuffPo…

RocketmanBob on May 24, 2011 at 11:12 AM

It isn’t just one guy anymore.

petunia on May 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Those emails are many months old. The guy who had them, has been pimping them out to the highest bidder. Strange that they come out now.
What’s in those emails isn’t anything different than what everyone else was feeling at the time….even the “haters”.
That they were leaked IS the issue.

It wasn’t a “staffer” or anyone in Sarah’s “inner circle” that leaked them….it was someone friendly with RAM that leaked them.

RAM is very,very loyal to Sarah. RAM obviously really, really trusted this person for her to speak so casually like this…then again they were supposed to be PRIVATE messages.
RAM has never worked on a campaign before, it was a VERY stoopid mistake, one I’m sure RAM feels terrible about.

Lesson well learned…trust nobody.

tencole on May 24, 2011 at 11:13 AM

How come only the right has turncoats?

Lanceman on May 24, 2011 at 11:11 AM

If we dealt with backstabbers like the left did, there would be very few turncoats.

Uncle Sams Nephew on May 24, 2011 at 11:13 AM

petunia on May 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Maybe I missed it…

who leaked this? And how do you know they were “once loyal to her?”

By my reading, RAM messaged a “friend,” who leaked this.

cs89 on May 24, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I’m really sorry, but if my spokesperson took it upon themselves to speak like this in public, they’d receive a backhand to the face and a pink slip in the mail.

WTF is wrong with people?!? Image is everything, especially in politics. You start throwing this around and the only ones it helps are Democrats, even if THEY’RE the ones saying it.

Pure amateur. C’mon Palin. We expect more from you and your camp.

Sponge on May 24, 2011 at 11:18 AM