Rudy to jump into 2012 nomination race?

posted at 10:41 am on May 24, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Why not?  In the wake of high-profile demurrals from Haley Barbour, Mike Huckabee, and Mitch Daniels, the Republican race could use more strength in executive experience.  But will the 2008 experience handicap Rudy Giuliani more than his 9/11 experience helps him?

Former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani, whose presidential campaign fizzled in 2008, is leaning toward another race for the White House, according to a close associate.  New York Republican Rep. Peter King, who has known Giuliani for more than 40 years, says the former mayor “is very close to saying he’s going to run.”

“If he were to make the decision today, he would run,” says King.

Speaking at a dinner with reporters in Washington, King, who was an enthusiastic Giuliani supporter in 2008, said the former mayor has been quietly lining up support and exploring strategy. Giuliani has also examined the mistakes his campaign made in ’08, when he did not seriously compete in a contest until the Florida primary, by which time he was hopelessly behind in the race.

Giuliani was an early polling favorite in the 2007-8 primary cycle, routinely scoring near the top of the heap.  Unfortunately, Giuliani tried out a strategy that had been nothing but theory before that cycle, which was the idea that a serious candidate could bypass Iowa and New Hampshire and focus on delegate-rich Florida to vault to the top.  Giuliani proved that poor showings in earlier small states really do matter, which will prevent anyone from trying that strategy again.

Giuliani’s a sharp man who will do things differently a second time around.  But will that make a difference?  As much as I like Giuliani as an executive — and there is a lot to like — he’s going to have more problems this time in exciting the base.  Giuliani probably won’t be competitive in Iowa, so he’d have to focus on New Hampshire and hope for a first- or second-place finish there.  That would be bad news for Mitt Romney if it happened, since that is Romney’s back yard.  Giuliani would need to score well in South Carolina, where social conservatives get most of the support, or in Florida.  Even assuming a second-place finish in New Hampshire and a win in Florida, Rudy would still have a long road ahead of him.

Plus, this is a different GOP than in 2008.  The Tea Party has changed the ground, and I’m not sure how well Giuliani will fit within the new dynamic.  He’s not exactly a Beltway insider in the way Newt Gingrich is, but he’s not exactly an outsider either, especially after his run for the nomination last cycle.  The Tea Party wants fresh blood at the top, which is one of the problems Romney has to face.  He’s hoping for the outside-the-Tea Party vote, and if Giuliani splits that, then neither can succeed. Also, with national security taking a back seat to economic concerns, Rudy’s biggest issues are neutered.

Unless Giuliani finds more traction with the grassroots and less with the big money, I’d guess that 2012 primary voters are going to consider him less relevant to their aims.

Comments

I’d hope he has a better plan for the primaries than he did in 2008.

Putting all his eggs into the Florida basket was an epic mistake.

teke184 on May 24, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Why?

edgehead on May 24, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Well I for one welcome Rudy. I intend to vote for ABO…Anyone but Obama.

sandee on May 24, 2011 at 10:45 AM

He lacks the purity many are looking for, so I`m guessing a lot of “had your chance, RINO!” in the comments.

ThePrez on May 24, 2011 at 10:46 AM

ThePrez on May 24, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I don’t know… Look at the choices we have so far. Quite the sorry lot in my book.

sandee on May 24, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Won’t win the nomination, but think he’d make a fantastic VP for someone.

nickj116 on May 24, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Even if I wanted to support him, which I don’t, I can’t because – like the other 2008 retreads – if one couldn’t beat McCain then, you’re no good now either. ;-)

allanbourdius on May 24, 2011 at 10:49 AM

In my best Austin Powers accent….HOW ABOUT NO?

search4truth on May 24, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Rudy should run for the senate seat that was his in 2000 before he got cancer and not for another doom run at the white house.

BroncosRock on May 24, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Noooooo!
He’s tough on crime…and otherwise makes Mitt Romney seen like Rick Santorum.
Nooooo.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 24, 2011 at 10:54 AM

sandee on May 24, 2011 at 10:47 AM

My mother-a conservative-has always said that a person smart enough to be president…is smart enough not to run.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 24, 2011 at 10:56 AM

ThePrez on May 24, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I don’t even mind that he’s a social lib. It’s just that he has the stigma of being a bigtime loser in the 2008 primaries and frankly he’s yesterday’s news. How has Rudy kept himself relevant in the last 3 years? I’ve seen him turn up on FoxNews and other cable news networks occasionally, but otherwise he’s kept a low profile.

Doughboy on May 24, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I respect Guiliani! He’s exactly the kind of Democrat you want as Mayor of New York. He’s just not the kind of Republican you want as President of the United States.

JellyToast on May 24, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Doughboy on May 24, 2011 at 10:56 AM
My favorite brother-in-law won’t vote for Rudy for ANYTHING because he supports gun control.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM

I like Rudy in a lot of ways, but he’d probably be toward the bottom of my top 5 in the primary.

He’d be in a better spot if he had run for Senate or Gov. in NY in 2010, IMO.

If he wants to run, let him.

(shrugs)

cs89 on May 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM

You know, I don’t understand that comment at all. In no particular order, Romney, Pawlenty, Cain, Palin, Huntsman and Johnson all have executive experience, and some of them have both private and public sector executive experience. Michele Bachmann has run a business and served in public sector leadership positions.

What was so goddammed special about Barbour, Huckabee and Daniels that the GOP field can’t bear to lose them. Jeezis.

DaydreamBeliever on May 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM

OH Good Lord! Not another one of the losers from 2008. America deserves better.

Tommy_G on May 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM

How about Rudy as AG?

He may be squishy on guns, but I suspect he’d sit on his hands with regard to that issue. Instead, I bet that we’d hear the end of trials in NYC, we’d see law breakers like the New Black Panther Party prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, we might see a vigorous effect to help state attorneys general root out voter fraud, and we might see a lot less of the gratuitous litigation against state statutes.

BuckeyeSam on May 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Obama’s betrayal of Israel has created a huge opening that only Rudy can fill.

faraway on May 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Duncan Hunter and Sam Brownback ready to jet on in… just for the H of it. Every Republican mayor, state assemblyman and township trustee is probably thinking to themselves “Should I get into this?”

Greek Fire on May 24, 2011 at 11:01 AM

If he enters the race, he has my support. He’s shown he could clean up a serious mess when he turned NYC from the cesspool it was in 1993 into the global city it deserves to be by the end of the decade, and he did it with fiscally conservative policies.

His leadership on 9/11 showed an uncanny ability to keep a cool head under pressure.

He’s not a social conservative, it’s true (maybe even left of center, I’ll admit), given the clown we have in office right now, we need a leader first and foremost, and Mr. Giuliani’s one of the best available.

Red Cloud on May 24, 2011 at 11:02 AM

I like Rudy a lot (his performance in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 will always stick with me) and backed him in 2008, but I think his time has passed.

Now as President Palin’s DHS, on the other hand… ;-)

irishspy on May 24, 2011 at 11:02 AM

………ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ……!

cartooner on May 24, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Considering he snubbed them all last go ’round, why would primary/caucus voters in IA, NH, or SC line up behind Giuliani this time? He’d have to opt for the FL-only strategy again, and we all saw how well that worked out for him in the past.

steebo77 on May 24, 2011 at 11:03 AM

BuckeyeSam on May 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM

The man put John Gotti away.
He’d kick AZZ as AG.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Interesting time. The GOP field changes nearly every day.

Rudy? What’s his message? I don’t see him giving himself over to the campaign. Like Fred Thompson — he’ll play at it. He won’t commit his life to it. Haley Barbour was right, you have to commit to completely give up your life for 10 years. He had to drop out of the race v Hillary because of a cancer scare, that’s a negative. 9/11 is a distant memory. His time is past. He doesn’t have much more to give than he’s already given. I’m surprised he’d even seriously consider getting into the race.

Paul-Cincy on May 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Get in there Rudy – raise a little hell – and slam Obama.

Then – let the election and selection chips fall.

jake-the-goose on May 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM

President Palin can appoint Rudy as Attorney General. He’d have to fumigate over there to get rid of the stench of Holder’s corruption. Putting Holder in an orange jumpsuit and frog marching him in front of cameras for his corruption trial would be a good start.

pdigaudio on May 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Ummmmm no

cmsinaz on May 24, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I don’t know anyone who could take it to Obama better than him. His old prosecutorial instincts would lay waste to O’s prissy, half-baked policies. Mitt agrees with O on medical care and really doesn’t have the killer instinct. He would be more afraid of O than McCain was.

I think he was still recovering from cancer in ’80. This time he’s tanned, rested and ready.

I’m in.

PattyJ on May 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Rudy to jump into 2012 nomination race?

He’ll never make it without the Donald’s hair and Obama’s halo!

Don L on May 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I like the idea of AG though

cmsinaz on May 24, 2011 at 11:07 AM

He’d really suck all the oxygen from the Romney campaign.

A split in the squishy RINO vote? Yes please!

Rebar on May 24, 2011 at 11:07 AM

The value n a Giuliani candidacy will be to foster meaningful debate between his position on a flat tax versus Cain’s on the fair tax.

That said, I think folks upthread are correct that he’s too much in the northeast “Rockefeller” Republican to be recieved favorably in a year where folks desire a strong contrast to Obama and the statist…

RocketmanBob on May 24, 2011 at 11:09 AM

I welcome him in the debates if only to kick the crap out of Ron Paul.

slickwillie2001 on May 24, 2011 at 11:10 AM

DaydreamBeliever on May 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM

The backing of the GOP establishment, that’s what.

Barbour and Daniels in particular are favorites of the GOP establishment and had little traction outside of that. Huckabee was “one of them” and had some traction, which made him a possible favorite to beat Romney and keep someone like a Palin from winning the nomination.

teke184 on May 24, 2011 at 11:10 AM

How to define Rudy?

profitsbeard on May 24, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Perry.

IR-MN on May 24, 2011 at 11:12 AM

cmsinaz on May 24, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I agree. Not Prez, but a good AG

ConservativePartyNow on May 24, 2011 at 11:14 AM

The backing of the GOP establishment, that’s what.

teke184 on May 24, 2011 at 11:10 AM

The issue in question was executive experience, if you bothered to actually read my comment.

DaydreamBeliever on May 24, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Sorry, Rudy. We tried the whole grovel-before-the-”independents”-with-a-John-McCain-as-requested-and-watch-them-abandon-us-in-thundering-droves-anyway thing in ’08, remember? Pretty much got our hearts set on an actual conservative, this time out.

Kent18 on May 24, 2011 at 11:14 AM

He’s too far left on social issues to suit my taste, but I think he could beat Obama in the general.

litebrite on May 24, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Do it Rudy–we need a live wire like never before.

dragondrop on May 24, 2011 at 11:18 AM

I don’t remember his stint as secretary of state, but I do remember something about saving America’s largest city from fiscal disaster.

tommylotto on May 24, 2011 at 11:18 AM

The backing of the GOP establishment, that’s what.

teke184 on May 24, 2011 at 11:10 AM

DaydreamBeliever on May 24, 2011 at 11:14 AM

The backing of the establishment is THE ONLY REASON why Daniels and Barbour are special if you accept that all the people you listed have executive experience.

Huckabee’s a different story because he’s got prior campaign experience in addition to name recognition and fundraising contacts.

teke184 on May 24, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Rudy’s biggest asset going in is he’s the only GOP hopeful whose actually had to run the gauntlet of the type of race-baiting campaign whomever the Republican nominee will be is going to face, because he had to face in in 1993 when he ran against and defeated David Dinkins in the NYC mayoral election. That’s important because the GOP can’t afford a repeat of 2008, when McCain cowered in fear of having the race card played against him and basically allowed the Democrats and the big media to define the narrative about what could and couldn’t be said about Obama.

Rudy’s liberal social record means he likely only has a real chance of winning if the rest of the field starts fearing having the race card played on them and begins pulling their punches in their attacks on Obama. But if nothing else, if he does jump into the primary it might actually embolden some of the other candidates to stand up against the race-based accusations they’re going to be facing over the next 18 months, just as Gingrich already had the “food stamp” comment turned into a racism charge by David Gregory on Meet the Press.

jon1979 on May 24, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Let’s stop using the euphamisms that call something other than what it is to protect our real choices.

Let’s be honest and call being against “social conservatives” what it really is. Being perfectly comfortable with grave evil, as long as we have our money or our personal god of hedonism, left alone. Such euphamism is just so much moral camoflage from those who are okay with state sponsored murder of innocent life – homosexual “marriage” and any hedonistic moral degeneracy of Judeo-Christian heritage.

There can be no freedom if the state takes away another’s right to the basis of all freedom -human life, given to us by Nature’s God. Morality cannot be treated as Swiss cheese moving the holes around as we please.

It is the social conservatives that know,love, and defend, the basis of all of our freedoms. Those against them are foolishly against their own freedom.

Perhaps that is the single most reason for the right’s hatred of Sarah Palin.

Don L on May 24, 2011 at 11:21 AM

RUDY!, RUDY!, RUDY!…..I’LL VOTE FOR YOU!

theaddora on May 24, 2011 at 11:22 AM

tommylotto on May 24, 2011 at 11:18 AM

DING

I don’t get it either. NYC was a wasteland in the early 90s. Rudy changed it all around, fiscally and of course criminally.

As far as national security goes, I don’t get that either. Yea he was mayor on 9/11 but he didn’t have anything to do with national security afterwards. It’s the reverse of guilt by association.

If anything 9/11 demonstrated that he is a great manager in a time of crisis. And that is EXACTLY what we need in a president.

And yes he dressed up as a drag queen. Big f****g deal. He could show up to work in the oval office every day in drag and as long as he keeps the country solvent I’d be fine with it.

angryed on May 24, 2011 at 11:23 AM

jon1979 on May 24, 2011 at 11:21 AM

I’m not even thinking in terms of his liberal record. I’m thinking in terms of him being a prosecutor who stared down the Mob, which means I don’t see some reporter with a microphone making him nervous.

teke184 on May 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I dunno about him. While I’m lukewarm on most social issues, Rudy is too far left on such things for me to ignore. Could he oust Obama, sure, but would he be much of a better prez? I just don’t know.

Uncle Sams Nephew on May 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Food for thought…

January 2011: Giuliani: I’m more likely to run in 2012 if Palin runs

steebo77 on May 24, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Oh, H*l, why not? The more, the merrier at this point.

Let the voters decide.

GrannyDee on May 24, 2011 at 11:28 AM

He’d really suck all the oxygen from the Romney campaign

Maybe you didn’t mean to mispell the man’s name -it’s,
Rahm-ney (as in having both sidesdepending upon the political wind dejour)

Don L on May 24, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Why not . . . he may add some quality to that gaggle of dopes they have in there now.

rplat on May 24, 2011 at 11:32 AM

That’s ridiculous.

You think Rudy would try KSM in NYC?

You think Rudy would go on an aplogy tour of the world?

You think Rudy would meet with Chavez?

You think Rudy would bow before Saudi princes?

You think Rudy would attempt to nationalize the internet?

You think Rudy would meet with the head of the Teamsters every week in the white house?

angryed on May 24, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I have noting against Rudy. But, he would not be my first choice by far.

It is still pretty early. I do want to see Romney lose. I don’t trust him.

jeffn21 on May 24, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Get in there Rudy – raise a little hell – and slam Obama.

Then – let the election and selection chips fall.

jake-the-goose on May 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Exactly.

So many people don’t understand that the primaries are our biggest tool in exposing the Nation’s “Biggest Tool”.

That’s why I enjoyed the Trump Show, it’s why I’m enjoying the Newt Show….and also why I welcome the Giuliani Show.

The more high-profile candidates throwing rocks at little bammie….the better.

Tim_CA on May 24, 2011 at 11:41 AM

How about Rudy as AG?

BuckeyeSam on May 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM

What makes you ‘suspect’ this? The AG empowers the ATF to pursue gun dealers and put them out of business while prosecuting and imprisoning gun owners for paperwork violations of gun laws or owning a rubber washer or the wrong kind of bullets or having a shotgun barrel that’s 1/2 inch too short.

Rudy is the WRONG choice for AG. You DON’T let a fox be in charge of the hen house.

fossten on May 24, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Go away.

Take Newt, Huntsman, Johnson and T-Paw with you.

Never another cent.

Fool me once…

Bruno Strozek on May 24, 2011 at 11:44 AM

And Mittens.

Take him with you too.

Bruno Strozek on May 24, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Red Cloud on May 24, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Ditto.

If it were Rudy or Reagan, I’ll take Reagan. If it’s Rudy or Mitt, Huntsman, & now Cain who blewup last weekend and last night, I’ll take Rudy. Rudy has baggage. I don’t agree with him on everything. But since I have no favorite and all the GOP ‘contenders’ have baggage and/or trust issues, Rudy is on a level with all the others and his stint as NYC Mayor gives him cred. Run Rudy, I’m not thrilled with the others, so the more the merrier.

JimP on May 24, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Isn’t there a nice little burg upstate that needs a mayor?

Akzed on May 24, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Guiliani vs: Obama: “A noun, a verb, and 9/11″ vs “a noun, a verb, and Osama bin Laden”.

thirtypundit on May 24, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Just what America is looking for – a 68 year old bald guy who likes to dress up like a woman and who went from frontrunner to zero delegates in 2008.

But, if he can take votes from Mitt, welcome aboard.

bw222 on May 24, 2011 at 11:56 AM

LOL I don’t read comments before I post my own. It’s fun seeing how alike others’ thinking is with mine and this thread certainly shows there are others who are thinking of Rudy in the same as I.

I’ll add that I am a ‘Johnny Reb’ socon who would pull the lever for Rudy. Unless Rudy turned out to be a Bush preferred candidate. If Rove starts talking up Rudy, cancel what I said.

JimP on May 24, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Rudy/Rubio 2012. I could live with that.

cdog0613 on May 24, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I’d feel okay about pulling the lever for Rudy. He’s not my top choice, but I wouldn’t have to hold my nose, either.

holygoat on May 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Out of all the “official” and “potentials” in this race, aside from “She who shall not be named” and Mr. Cain, Guliani is very near the top of my list, but then again being from his neck `o` the woods 9/11 still weighs heavy on me and his actions/demeanor during that time were pretty much unparalleled.

NY Conservative on May 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM

No, Rudy doesn’t get rev’d up til Florida, everyone knows that.
But I hope he gets in to take votes from that weasel Romney.

james23 on May 24, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I am not so sure about Rudy jumping in…Thinking that it’s all a hype.

hawkman on May 24, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Really? Rudy is superb on economic issues. He turned NYC around from a Cloward-Piven hellhole to born-again thriving metropolis.

That link is a must-read for anyone who wants guidance on how to end the welfare state, and wrest control from destructive, race-baiting, leftists.

Buy Danish on May 24, 2011 at 12:30 PM

I was behind Rudy 100% last time and never understood why he collapsed so suddenly.

I’d certainly give him a second chance. Considering who’s in and who’s out, I think he would do well.

grahsco on May 24, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I admit I was a big Rudy supporter in 2008, but when his campaign imploded so catastrophically I did not want to see him run in 2012. However, I get depressed when I see the pack of losers that the GOP is offering so far. Obama can be beaten, but I fear not by the current crop (maybe excepting Pawlenty). Could Rudy catch fire? McCain did last year. Anything can happen.

tommylotto on May 24, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Buy Danish on May 24, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Thanks for the link.

JimP on May 24, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Who says the GOP doesn’t like to recycle.

NickDeringer on May 24, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I hope Rudy runs.

He’s been my pick all along for 2012 because I think he has the right combination of experience, guts, and sheer cussedness to start sorting out the mess Obama will leave, and restore American strength abroad. Sure, his social policies are squishy, but we can’t have everything. I think America would elect him over 0bama.

cane_loader on May 24, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Less relevant than who?

I’m thinking is that Guliani has a better chance this election that he did in the last one, and if that is the case then he’s just as relevant a candidate as anyone currently being considered.

Lawrence on May 24, 2011 at 3:18 PM

This is desperation.

The establishment Republicans are so afraid of Conservative candidates like Sarah Palin and Michelle Backmann they are throwing any squishy northeastern type Republican they can find into the fray hoping one will ignite some support.

RJL on May 24, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Bibi Netanyahu for president!!!

( . . . hey, why not? he’s more American than Obama!)

Special K on May 24, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Let Rudy run. Although he’s not every conservative’s cup of Tea Party, he can get more urban votes than most other Republican candidates, which could be helpful in states like PA or WI. He’s a strong “law and order” and “national security” candidate, but he would have to better define his positions on fiscal issues, health care, and energy to be a leading contender.

Then there’s the nagging question…if he was elected, whom would he nominate to the Supreme Court?

Steve Z on May 24, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I hope you are right Ed, it was just a bad campaign strategy that undermined him in 2008. Personally I thought his heart was not into it. Same for his Senate run. I think Rudy knows when he can’t win and then he just looks for the door. If he thinks he can win in 2012 we will see a whole new Rudy.

patrick neid on May 24, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Rudy is superb on economic issues.

Buy Danish on May 24, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Under Mayor Rudy the NYC budget went from $2 billion to over $8 billion. That sounds a lot more like a big spender than a fiscal conservative.

RJL on May 24, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I’m not voting for a Northeast RINO. NYC is among the very worst in 2A infringing laws in the country. It is the hive of state nanny-ism. Rudy not only did not avert turning citizens into subjects, but was part of that particular problem. For all the good he did, there is plenty of gut-churning lefty-ism that he didn’t seem to make any serious effort to prevent.

I’m fine with Rudy in the cabinet. But I will not ever support him as POTUS or VP.

deepdiver on May 24, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Huckabee out… Giuliani in? It sounds like the stars are aligning for Palin. Woot.

bitsy on May 24, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I like Rudy like I did W. Meaning I think they would both be great guys to spend a day with. I think he is a sincere individual, but in the end he is a NY republican. Meaning moderate Democrat. Despite his missteps, i think BHO will be tough to beat and we need a candidate that energizes those who will do a lot of the tough campaign work and Rudy will not do that. social conservatives are lukewarm at best to him and while he did some things that play very well in the Northeast, cleaning up Manhattan is only significant to NYers and he probably wont win that state anyway. and his most notable accomplishment, 9/11 is fading from memory.

pgrossjr on May 24, 2011 at 5:36 PM

RJL on May 24, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Sources please. I’ve provided mine…

Note that I lived in NYC and witnessed the Guiliani miracle first-hand. Indeed, it was a huge factor in me becoming a Republican.

Buy Danish on May 24, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Romney and Guiliani…. Is it 2008 again?

…please no.