Oh my: Pawlenty calls for Medicare and Social Security reform — in Florida

posted at 9:08 pm on May 24, 2011 by Allahpundit

First he goes after ethanol in Iowa, now this. What’s next? Telling Texans it’s time to wean themselves off of barbecue? Good lord. This isn’t a campaign, it’s an intervention.

Alternate headline: “Tim Pawlenty now unelectable in not one but two early primary states.”

A day after telling Iowans their beloved ethanol subsidies will have to go, Republican presidential candidate Tim Pawlenty used a stop in senior-heavy Florida to call for reining in Social Security and Medicare benefits for future retirees…

It’s part of a tough-medicine tour, designed to highlight Pawlenty’s willingness to tell “hard truths.” He’s also planning to visit Washington to call for less-generous pay and benefits for public sector employees and to New York to call for an end to Wall Street bailouts…

Pawlenty said Social Security’s retirement age must “gradually” increase for people who are not yet in the system. He also called for ending cost-of-living increases for wealthy retirees. He said he’ll release details soon and said the changes would not affect current retirees.

That’s from today’s Facebook town hall, where he also took a question that seemed geared towards winning a certain fiscal-con icon’s constituency:

“In the state of Indiana, our governor has been really hard on teachers,” asked one girl. “What is your view of education?”

Pawlenty voiced a position on education similar to the reforms passed by Daniels in the last Indiana legislative session: school choice and vouchers, support for charter schools, and saying that education policy should be geared to help children and should “put their needs first, rather than the interests of adults in public employee union movement.”

The choice of the question seemed deliberate, as a way to position Pawlenty as the natural alternative for Daniels’ supporters.

The straight talk on entitlements, I think, is mainly geared towards giving him cover with the base for when he starts inching away from Ryan’s Medicare plan. He praised Ryan’s budget when speaking to reporters after the Facebook town hall today but reminded them that he’ll be introducing his own plan in the coming months. With good reason: The more Senate Republicans bail on Ryan — Olympia Snowe is the latest — the closer we get to the sort of tipping point imagined by Nate Silver. It’s easier for the GOP to deflect concerns about Ryan’s Medicare reforms if they’re voting party-line, less easy when the RINO contingent of Snowe, Collins, and Brown defects and thereby implicitly signals to centrists that Ryan’s budget is “extreme.” T-Paw’s trying to massage both sides here (much as he did in Iowa), hinting without saying that he thinks Ryan’s plan is extreme too but not so much that entitlement reform should be avoided. Exit quotation: “What I know is this: There just can’t be any more sacred cows.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

unseen on May 24, 2011 at 10:02 PM

The point of the post is that T-Paw is right about SS and Meidcare and bold to do so..:)

PS..But you keep winning those hearts and minds for Sarah!..:)

Dire Straits on May 24, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Being a resident of MN…
Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Ah, now I see why you like T-Paw!

itsnotaboutme on May 24, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Yeah another Minnesotan :)

gophergirl on May 24, 2011 at 10:13 PM

was that before, during or after his 2 year old temper tantrum/meltdown?

unseen on May 24, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Being a person yourself who never uses personal insults, name calling, and obfuscatory tactics, you should take the high road.

csdeven on May 24, 2011 at 10:14 PM

So what? She’ll just quit half way through.

csdeven on May 24, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Now that’s just plan unfair and mean, Palinhater.

She’d serve at least 60% of her term, depending on the size of the paycheck awaiting her afterwards.

Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Cool!

itsnotaboutme on May 24, 2011 at 10:15 PM

unseen on May 24, 2011 at 10:02 PM

PS..But you keep winning those hearts and minds for Sarah!..:)

Dire Straits on May 24, 2011 at 10:11 PM

The Palinista’s annoyance factor with me is only surpassed by the Obamabots. They’re working hard to catch up though.

buckichick1 on May 24, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Good to see you!..:)

Dire Straits on May 24, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Zero won on November 4, 2008. the NEXT DAY I went on Cafepress and ordered my Palin 2012 button.
That was then. By 2010-between SP being severely over-exposed(all Sarah-All the time) and her picking up some out-there supporters…she lost me….and yeah-it DOES bother me that she didn’t finish her term. While I understand that there were extenuating circumstances-she still didn’t complete ONE TERM. T-Paw is a two-termer and in 2016…mostly likely Bobby Jindal will be as well. That counts for a lot with me. Of course I’ll vote for her if she’s the nominee-but I guarantee that I won’t be voting for her in the primary-should she run. I’m tired of pulling my ‘punches’-so I won’t be doing it anymore.
I’ve had enough.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 24, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Ah, now I see why you like T-Paw!

itsnotaboutme on May 24, 2011 at 10:12 PM

I’m far from wedded to Pawlenty- he’s not without flaws. If a better choice comes along, I’ll go with it.

For the time being, however, it’s Romney vs Pawlenty. Everyone else is background noise. Given that choice, I’ll take Pawlenty.

Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 10:14 PM

And depending on the season start date for her next reality TV show.

csdeven on May 24, 2011 at 10:17 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 24, 2011 at 10:16 PM

..:)

Dire Straits on May 24, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Sarah fan?
Cainiac?

itsnotaboutme on May 24, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Unseen? A Palin fan? That’s not accurate.

Unseen has an elaborate shrine to St. Sarah (pbuh) in his/her bedroom, in front of which he/she prostrates in his/her 5 daily prayers to the One True God.

Mere mention of any potential candidate is tantamount to blasphemy, for the First Commandment of the Church of Saint Sarah (pbuh) reads “Thou shalt not tolerate praise for any but the One True God”.

Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Unseen is male.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 24, 2011 at 10:24 PM

What’s with the Ace stuff? Did he ban you or something?

toliver on May 24, 2011 at 10:08 PM

I hav eno idea, no do I care. I would bet Dire is talking in general terms about palin supporters but I don’t know…

unseen on May 24, 2011 at 10:26 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 24, 2011 at 10:16 PM

I would take Palin’s accomplishments as Governor of Alaska for 3 years over those of Pawlenty as Governor of Minnesota for 8 years any day. He left his state with a $6 billion deficit. She left hers with a $12 billions SURPLUS. He governed as a Cap-and-Trade-loving, universal healthcare-supporting, Sharia finance-embracing, ethanol-shilling squiish. She governed as a Reagan Conservative.

steebo77 on May 24, 2011 at 10:27 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 24, 2011 at 10:24 PM

OT:..I am very impressed with your settling in with your move to TX..You seem to like it in TX..:)

Dire Straits on May 24, 2011 at 10:27 PM

I do not know a great deal about Tim Pawlenty. The little I do know is his record as governor. When I look solely at that I really cannot find a better candidate. When I listen to him speak the thing I notice is that he believes what he says and his words are not poll tested bullsh#$.

As a person that considers themselves a Tea Partier I have to say that he is the grassroots candidate. From a tatical perspective how hard is it going to be for the professional left to demagogue a guy like Pawlenty? Throw in Herman Cain, and you have a ticket that will flummox the left. I think this ticket would so confuse and intimidate the professional left that they will leave a bad taste in the American mouth. How does David Brooks subtly support Obama? How does MSNBC play the race card?

Pawlenty/Cain 2012

You heard it here first, okay maybe second…

Pawlenty Cain 2012 you heard it here first.

Theworldisnotenough on May 24, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Unseen is male.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 24, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Ah, that explains it.

He’s going to be so disappointed when all the thousands of pro-Palin, anti-anyone else comments don’t even earn him a lousy handie from Sarah.

Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 10:28 PM

unseen on May 24, 2011 at 10:26 PM

General terms..:)

PS.Not all Palinistas ..just a few!..:)

Dire Straits on May 24, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Y’know, it’s pretty sad when the Palin supporters here start turning me off of supporting her. Not Palin herself, mind you, but considering everyone speaks in gross generalizations–pun intended–I’d rather not deal with the crap that comes with being a vocal supporter.

Pseudo: Just FYI… if you subject the other candidates to the same scrutiny that Palin was subjected to (which is your right), you cannot then turn around and complain that the scrutiny that Palin received was unjust.

Personally, I think you and unseen should stop trying to create a sculpture out of Palin’s columnar support. You probably will just collapse the whole structure.

But please, keep vying with Gingrich over who can dig the bigger hole. You know who this helps? Barack Obama. You know who this doesn’t help? The American people.

Scott H on May 24, 2011 at 10:29 PM

so I guess Pawlenty was for Ethanol subsidies before he was against them….

•Next Generation BioEnergy and BioFuels Governor Pawlenty signed legislation to appropriate over $35 million for energy projects and research including:

◦$15 million for bioenergy, biomass electricity, biofuels, plug-in hybrid technologies, renewable hydrogen and solar technology projects.
◦$17 million for energy research, including funding for the U of M Initiative for Renewable Energy and the Environment.
◦$3 million to double the number of E85 stations in Minnesota from the nation-leading 300 stations to 600 stations.

unseen on May 24, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Classy. Real classy.

steebo77 on May 24, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Scott H on May 24, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Watch him.

csdeven on May 24, 2011 at 10:32 PM

So does Pawlenty’s Truth campaign include him explaining his flip-flops on ethanol? and his prechance for nannystatism?

unseen on May 24, 2011 at 10:32 PM

steebo77 on May 24, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Wow, only half of those bullet points were lies. You’re improving.

Can we get a thread where I can just make stuff up about Palin? That might be fun too.

Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 10:33 PM

so I guess Pawlenty was for Ethanol subsidies before he was against them

unseen on May 24, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Wow, that sounds suspiciously like the “all of the above” approach that a certain possible candidate who supported ethanol and other alternative energy sources after imposing a windfall profit tax on oil producers.

Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 10:36 PM

steebo77 on May 24, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Phil Mickelson shot a 68 at Pebble Beach, with 10 inch rough and lightning fast greens. I shot a 65 at Hacker’s Paradise Par 3. Well I was on pace for a 65, but I picked up my ball on the back 9 and went home.

stldave on May 24, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Scott H on May 24, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Oh wow. what circle logic. the correct sequence is this. You all subjected Palin to a body cavity search so at this point you can’t object to the treatment all other candidates on their records.

the fact that what Palin recieved was unjust is a given. the fact that it was a double standard up until that time is also a given. thereofre subject all othe rcandidates to the same level of research is just bringing all candidates to the same playing field. Erasing the double standards.

and the sad fact of it is no matter how much of the candidates record gets looked out, their words parsed it will still be 1/1000th of what Palin was subjected too.

the fact that you all complain about the unfairness of it all shows you all have a very thin skin

unseen on May 24, 2011 at 10:38 PM

unseen: Pawlenty is a declared candidate for the Presidency who as such has a good chance of setting the agenda for the Primary. Even if that was all he wants to do by these statements, he should be applauded for that.

Don’t trust him. But this crap is getting very old very fast. If I am any barometer of people’s reactions, your antics are losing Palin a lot more supporters than they’re gaining.

Scott H on May 24, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 10:33 PM

hell you have been doing that for 3 years now.

unseen on May 24, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Dire Straits on May 24, 2011 at 10:27 PM

I’m certainly feeling more…assertive.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 24, 2011 at 10:41 PM

unseen: Perhaps you missed the fact that I _defended Palin against every one of those attacks_.

However, if you characterize them as attacks, then you cannot complain when people characterize your actions against other candidates as attacks. You can choose to either do what you do (attack all the other candidates), which loses any ethical basis for your complaint. You have now tacitly condoned the attacks, because you are willing to participate in those attacks yourself. This isn’t ‘erasing a double standard’. This is revenge, pure and simple.

This does not win Palin any support. And if this is done at Palin’s direction, she just lost my support.

There are certain things you just don’t do. All because some people do it does not mean other people can now do it. Something is either right or wrong.

And now you have accused me, a Palin supporter, of bashing Palin.

I can certainly object to the treatment of other candidates’ records if I objected to the treatment of Palin’s record.

I can’t understand why you don’t understand this.

Scott H on May 24, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Scott H on May 24, 2011 at 10:38 PM

wow three days and it’s getting old? seriously three days of researching into Tpaw’s record and it’s getting old? THREE DAYS? you all can’t handle three days of someone researching your guys record before it gets old? Try 3 years of it and then get back to me about things getting old and how it impacts the candidates being able to gain supporters.

You think our loathing for Mitt has nothing to do with how Mitt’s supporters have acted over the last 3 years? You think the reason we don’t believe most of these candidates is because of the actions of these candidates and their supporters over the last 3 years?

Seriously….stop living in the double standard, grow up and defend your guy or gal’s record. Tpaw might be a good candidate. From what I have seen so far he is a typical politican saying what people want to hear without a record that agrees with what he is saying now.

unseen on May 24, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Scott H on May 24, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Pointing out Pawlenty’s actual record when governing is not an attack. Calling him names or making stuff up that isn’t true is. Most people are pointing out his record and that is being called an attack which is nonsense.

sharrukin on May 24, 2011 at 10:48 PM

hell you have been doing that for 3 years now.

unseen on May 24, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Show me one time. ONCE.

Did I “make it up” that she resigned after 2.5 years, she claiming in part that it’s better to quit than be a “lame duck”?

Did I invent the fact that she imposed tax increases on oil producers? That she’s been hiding behind friendly Fox News venues, paid speeches, and Facebook posts instead of engaging the MSM face to face in order to improve her image?

Was it a lie that polling shows her to have a poor approval rating, with 60% saying they wouldn’t consider voting for her?

Is it demonstrably false that she speaks almost exclusively in vague platitudes when she doesn’t have a script in front of her?

Did I fabricate the fact that this supposedly authentic, non-establishment political figure who would never, ever bow to the wishes of RINO establishment insiders like John McCain carried his water both during and after his failed run?

Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Unseen: Again, for the record, my candidate is Palin.

All because I support Palin does not mean I support how other people support Palin.

And it’s not the Pawlenty research. I’ve already agreed (in other threads) that Pawlenty has some questions to answer about his flip-flop on ethanol subsidies.

I am more referring to the constant spamming of these threads with the exact same information, day after day. Some of the information has been called into question by Pawlenty’s supporters. Don’t you think we’re aware of the issue by now?

Scott H on May 24, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Scott H on May 24, 2011 at 10:44 PM

revenge? not one bit.

I personally have very little against TPaw. I am looking for a second choice. From the actions of his supporters I think I’ll look somewhere else. They are truning me off with the personal attacks.

unseen on May 24, 2011 at 10:50 PM

It does look like Pawlenty has flip-flopped. But why do so to step on the third rail twice? We are all entitled to learn from our mistakes and learn. Let’s see how he addresses these changes of mind. While I welcome what he’s doing now, I have to be skeptical.

toliver on May 24, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Scott H on May 24, 2011 at 10:50 PM

which information is that? I wasn’t aware that he supported ethonal subsidies before he was against them. I wasn’t aware that Tpaw handpicked a committiee that had as it’s primary recommendation turning Minn into a nanny state. where you aware of those two things about Tpaw?

unseen on May 24, 2011 at 10:54 PM

sharrukin: I agree that speaking to his record is not an attack. I’ve already noted the issues with his record. But rather than dwell on the positives here–we have a candidate who is actually willing to say the unpleasant truth–some people seem to want to dwell on the negatives.

Whether Pawlenty will actually do anything about what he says, the fact is that we have few if any other candidates saying anything about these truths. If we cannot talk about it, do you expect anything to be done?

Scott H on May 24, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 10:49 PM

ROFL. sure sure…and the unicorns will come out and play too.

unseen on May 24, 2011 at 10:57 PM

unseen: After the first post a couple of days ago, I know that Pawlenty flip-flopped on ethanol. And I believe I was rather negative on him about it then.

Trust me. I haven’t forgotten in the intervening time.

Whether you hold Pawlenty accountable for the committee’s recommendations is an open question. Apparently, you do. I find it less objectionable. Can you or someone else point to where Pawlenty implemented any of the recommendations?

I can see a scenario or two where he’d ‘hand pick’ liberals or other untrustworthy types to sit on the panel. One way would be to give them the idea that they’re being listened to, while he simply ignores them.

I can also see a scenario or two where the reality of ‘hand picking’ is a bit less cut and dry than it appears on paper.

Scott H on May 24, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Scott H on May 24, 2011 at 10:55 PM

I presume you were willing to give that same consideration to Gingrich when he emerged out of the billowing smoke and dust of tweets and trivia? You were entirely positive and didn’t post any mocking sentiments?

sharrukin on May 24, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Hollowpoint: Depends on what you mean by scripts, but I find Palin incredibly specific when compared to most politicians. I also note that most politicians speak in vague generalities when off script.

While she may be ‘avoiding’ the MSM, I consider that a plus in her book, and not a minus. I would simply boycott the MSM if I were running for President. If you believe that is impossible, then you are implicitly stating that the MSM still plays a decisive role in our electoral politics.

The oil tax increase, IIRC, does need to be explained.

Scott H on May 24, 2011 at 11:03 PM

sharrukin: Perhaps it is just the order in which I received the information, but by the time Gingrich started to ‘talk tough’, he had already imploded with his attack on Ryan’s fiscal strategy.

And I cannot recall exactly what I wrote (but it’s all there), but while noting the glaring issue, I don’t think I was mocking.

Scott H on May 24, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Scott H on May 24, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Well it seems to me that we should judge a politician on his record first and his words second. Words are cheap and actions require effort and intention. Pawlenty’s words do not match up with his actions just like Gingrich’s.

I hold Palin to that standard as well. She has done some things I don’t agree with but so far, of all the candidates, her actions are the closest to what she is saying.

sharrukin on May 24, 2011 at 11:11 PM

I’m a fan of Sarah Palin, and I’d like to see her jump into the race. I’m not a fan of unseen’s approach to being a Palin supporter.

OhioCoastie on May 24, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Scott H on May 24, 2011 at 11:06 PM

I would like Tpaw to explain his call to full fund at the government’s expense the fiorst two years of college for those students that got good grades. He called it his achieve and achieve II programs. I really don’t think it is the job for the governemnt to pay for college.

unseen on May 24, 2011 at 11:21 PM

OhioCoastie on May 24, 2011 at 11:20 PM

oh well one for two isn’t bad.

unseen on May 24, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Pretty much exactly what I expected Allahpundit to say about this. Rip on someone for stating conservative solutions. Typical RINO.

The Notorious G.O.P on May 24, 2011 at 11:25 PM

oh well one for two isn’t bad.

unseen on May 24, 2011 at 11:22 PM

This ain’t baseball.

OhioCoastie on May 24, 2011 at 11:25 PM

The oil tax increase, IIRC, does need to be explained.

Scott H on May 24, 2011 at 11:03 PM

By scripts, I mean prepared speeches and Internet postings that she almost certainly didn’t write herself, as is the case with most political figures.

On her frequent Hannity appearances, she’s beyond vague.

As the the common refrain from her supporters that her avoidance of the MSM is somehow a positive- in what way? Her approval ratings have steadily declined since Nov 2008. Even in Alaska- a conservative state- her approval rating is lower than Obama’s.

You can blame the unfair treatment by the MSM all you’d like, but the fact is that her poor reputation amongst the general public is her fault and hers alone.

When confronted with a bully that keeps beating you up for your lunch money, what do you do? Hide behind your mother and call names from afar, or fight back face to face?

Do the former, he’ll kick your butt the first chance mommy isn’t there to hide behind. Do the latter, and win or lose, you’ll show him that he’s going to have to risk a black eye if he wants your three dollars. Palin has done the former, and the result has been predictable.

Pawlenty went to Ethanol Central and told them that their days of taking our lunch money are numbered. When Palin campaigned there with McCain, she handed them her purse.

Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Scott H on May 24, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Watch him.

csdeven on May 24, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Likewise, if you’re going to say that the criticism of Palin has been just, you can’t whine and moan when Pawlenty’s the target.

Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Which reminds me, did you ever find that speech in which Pawlenty was refuting David Brooks’ “the era of small government is over” article? I couldn’t find it.

pseudoforce on May 24, 2011 at 11:39 PM

WTF, has everyone gone nuts? Are people demanding Medicare and SS reform? I know it’s needed, but guess what, GOP – the people – AKA ‘voters’, AKA ‘the people who handed the GOP a big victory in 2010′ want you to focus on JOBS and the ECONOMY.

You moronic dipsh1ts – get government off our backs, reduce regulations, reduce spending, and ffs KILL OBAMACARE – PERI-F@#$ING-OD, GOT IT?

Midas on May 24, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Midas on May 24, 2011 at 11:42 PM

We can’t reduce spending w/out reducing benefits. That means entitlements.

toliver on May 25, 2011 at 12:08 AM

pseudoforce on May 24, 2011 at 11:39 PM

No, as far as I know, there’s no transcript of it, just the brief paraphrasing of it printed in the Star Tribune.

There was controversy about that “quote” ever since they printed it. I pretty much assumed it was BS from the start, because Pawlenty’s record is not that of a big government guy. It didn’t sound like something he’d advocate for.

There are numerous references to the David Brooks article out there, there was quite a bit of discussion about it at the time. Here’s one from Reason:

It’s almost two years since David Brooks articulated the growing consensus on that point in a New York Times Magazine cover story proclaiming “The Era of Small Government is Over…”

Hollowpoint on May 25, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 11:31 PM

A Pawlenty fan huh…hahahahahahahahahahaha. Like pulling teeth out of a child to get an answer on who you support and you choose Pawlenty…hahahahahahhahahah.

wheelgun on May 25, 2011 at 12:28 AM

wheelgun on May 25, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Pulling teeth? You could’ve just asked.

Only in the past week have I tentatiavely been leaning in Pawlenty’s direction as a lesser of two evils. Romney and Pawlenty are thus far the only two serious candidates in the race or likely to run. Been saying so for days.

If a more conservative candidate with a reasonable chance of beating Obama comes along, I’ll switch to them; I’m far from wedded to Pawlenty.

Hollowpoint on May 25, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Next Pawlenty is going to go to Southern California to speak out against Illegal Immigration, then he’s going to go to Dearborn to speak out against radical Islam, then he’s going to go to Houston to talk about reducing our carbon emissions, then he’ll go to West Virgina to talk about acid rain from coal power plants.

OxyCon on May 25, 2011 at 12:38 AM

WTF, has everyone gone nuts? Are people demanding Medicare and SS reform?

No, actually, and that’s the problem. Voters are worried about “the debt,” but polls show most people believe the 14T and rising monster can be tackled without touching SS and Medicare. Those people are what is technically called “wrong.”

The debt, of course, IS the economy, as far as government is concerned. The deliberate inflation (“quantitative easing”), taxes, the future of American creditworthiness; everything macro- is tied to the perilous debt. The government actually can do little else about “jobs” than to reduce the debt and thereby the tax burden. Just getting rid of Obama will be a huge boost to consumer confidence, which will fix half the problem, even if his successor is a RINO.

You’re right about Obamacare though. We shouldn’t be devoting so much time to a battle that favors the Democrats when Obamacare is sitting right there. We’re realistically not winning either battle this term. It’s still an important fight to have, though – as we know from ’05, if you don’t talk about it, you have no mandate and people vote Democrat to stick their heads back in the sand.

HitNRun on May 25, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Hollowpoint on May 25, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Ditto.

I never had a problem with Pawlenty. The “warmist” knock on him is a load of —-. Everyone was a warmist 6 years ago. It’s the countervailing evidence (hockeysticks, Tree-gate, the expanding Antarctic shelf, the stop in warming, Climategate, solar theory) that changed our minds. That’s how science works.

As for his not being Presidential material, I maintain that being a boring white guy will be an advantage next year.

HitNRun on May 25, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Ditto.

HitNRun on May 25, 2011 at 12:42 AM

I didn’t really buy into it from the start, and disapproved of his stance on it then. It’s a flip-flop, but not a sudden one; he’s been backing down on the global warming thing for the last 2-3 years.

But yeah, you’re right- it was more forgiveable a stance to have 5-6 years ago than today, post-Climategate.

What’s annoying and inherently dishonest are those who support a certain possible candidate that also previously supported carbon caps now react with false indignation and outrage about Pawlenty’s former stance. It’s OK when their gal does it, but not Pawlenty?

Hollowpoint on May 25, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Pawlenty has courage. I’m in.

Mojave Mark on May 25, 2011 at 12:54 AM

Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 10:33 PM

That’s all you ever do.

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Now that’s just plan unfair and mean, Palinhater.

Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 10:14 PM

It helps that the President is shielded from lawsuits based upon what he or she did officially. Not so for the Governor of Alaska, who had to defend herself using her own money — not that of the State or a defense fund. Luckily for the current Governor, Alaska fixed that rather chilling law after Palin left office.

unclesmrgol on May 25, 2011 at 1:18 AM

TxAnn56: “Believe it or not, NumbersUSA gives Tpaw the second best grade as far as immigration goes. That goes a long way in my book. They give Bachmann a B- and Tpaw a C. I’d like to see A+s from everyone, but that won’t happen. Sadly, there’s a lot of space between Tpaw and the rest. Too many cheap labor Republicans.”

This.

Pawlenty’s the best prospect for America’s future. The only question is if he can find a way to get him elected that will also set him up to govern.

He has figured it out. He’s running on telling the truth. Mitt has only a weak counter to that, since nobody knows if Mitt is telling the truth. (The rest of the Republican field is scenery.) Obama has no counter to a “tell the truth” campaign, because he’s chosen to wait for a debt crisis and demagogue it rather than dealing with the problem.

Welcome to the White House, President Pawlenty.

In office, Pawlenty will be well set up to govern, because he will have to take tough measures but he is already talking the needed talk.

That’s as good as it gets this election cycle. And going from Obama to Pawlenty will be a gargantuan improvement.

David Blue on May 25, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Are unseen and some others here on hotair really Palin supporters or saboteurs pretending to be Palin supporters? Because every time Palin gets unfairly and cruelly attacked by the left and MSM, and you start to sympathize with her, it gets countered by her rabid supporters trying to boost her on right-wing sites like hotair and it erodes some of that sympathy.

The thing is, if Palin was really as great as her supporters are claiming, it would have been obvious for everyone to notice by now. But it hasn’t been. Palin has a long way to go to convincing people that she would be the best choice to put up against Obama in 2012 and win the presidency. It’s all in Palins hands to do that, not her supporters. If anything, they are hurting her cause than helping.

gumble on May 25, 2011 at 1:48 AM

Let’s get the candidate who can beat the arugula snot out of Barry the Boy King and skewer his ongoing litany of incompetent follies.

The primaries will sort out who has the strongest appeal to the most voters and is the greatest challenge to the Pretender-In-Chief.

If it’s Pawlenty, fine. Palin, good. West, I’m game. The rest, we’ll see.

profitsbeard on May 25, 2011 at 2:14 AM

Since I didn’t hear Pawlenty’s full speech, I can’t be certain of context. He is either promoting that, or leaving himself open to that interpretation

There is no reason to run on reforming SSA and Medicare this election cycle. In fact, there is every reason not to run on this, as the DEMs are already running against all straw men who want to reduce these entitlements

Here is the problem with attacking these entitlements. The GOP shows little courage in reducing the piggish spending on everything else in the world

At the point they discovered $200,000 dollar toad statues being erected at military base bus stops a bill should have been written to stop any statues from being erected by any government entity until the budget is balanced, excluding war memorials. If the government bought any statures not yet installed, they should be sold at auction to help the bottom line.

Are we friggin helpless?

Such bills do not have to pass. They have to go to vote as many times as the crooks in the Senate vote it down. The point is to support trimming the budget to save SSA and Medicare, not to trim SSA and MEdicare to save the world from losing Toad statues at military base bus stops

These cowards cannot let go of one greasy pork project, but they are designating the trimming of SSA and Medicare as the Red Badge of Courage for GOP wannabees.

Are they friggin suicidal?

Answer: yes

Only until every piece of pork has been submitted for truncation by vote in Congress, can anyone survive promoting rescuing America by cutting SSA.

SSA will not be saved by election day, even if Pawlenty et al started today. Since current recipients are not going to be affected by any plan, what the heck are they doing scaring soon to be current recipients before election day?

It shows how out of touch these over paid, over fed, over benefit laden politicians are, when they vote themselves 6 figure salaries yet run for election on cutting grandma.

p.s the MSM is helping them along with kudos for bravery

Remember Barabara Fritchey

“Shoot, if you must, this old gray head,
But spare my country’s flag,” she said.
A shade of sadness, a blush of shame,
Over the face of the leader came;
The nobler nature within him stirred
To life at that woman’s deed and word;
“Who touches a hair of yon gray head
Dies like a dog! March on!” he said.

Die like dogs they will if they fall for the SSA trap

entagor on May 25, 2011 at 3:48 AM

Earmarks and discretionary spending are not driving the projected deficits that threaten our credit rating. On their current trajectories, Social Security and Medicare are going to bankrupt the country. Bond investors are not blind to this fact, so we face very real danger to our credit rating in the near term. Those programs MUST be cut, and we’ll need a mandate to do it. If you aren’t interested in restructuring Medicare and Social Security to save this country from fiscal ruin, then you should vote Democrat.

Lawdawg86 on May 25, 2011 at 4:22 AM

One thing you have to say about Palin’s supporters: many of them are high intensity True Believers of the sort necessary for a successful national campaign. Anybody can comment on the internet, talking to other political junkies. Candidates need people to knock on doors, make phone calls, hand out literature or distribute material through social networks.

Plus, they don’t have that odor the Paulbots exude.

Adjoran on May 25, 2011 at 6:49 AM

I’ll be impressed when he goes to Maryland and condemns steamed crabs!

Akzed on May 25, 2011 at 9:19 AM

If he is willing to walk through fire to show his love for conservative values, then I say “Good on him!”

Queen0fCups on May 25, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Midas on May 24, 2011 at 11:42 PM

(Emphasis Mine)

So, Sport, if you’re not interested in reducing spending on entitlements, exactly what “spending” do you propose to “reduce”?

Jaibones on May 25, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Who needs the left to spread lies, when we can do it ourselves.

I’m no Palinista. I’d never vote for her in the primary, but if we’re going to attack our own, let’s make it on policy, not something false.

John Deaux on May 25, 2011 at 9:56 AM

John Deaux on May 25, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I agree.

I would not vote for Palin in the primaries but if she wins the nomination, I will dedicate all I have to helping her win.

Conservative Samizdat on May 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I love T-Paw’s strategy. He’s going out and telling the hard truth. It’s early, so we’ll get a chance to find out if the public is ready to hear it.

If the public isn’t, then he’s done as a candidate in this cycle. If the public is ready, then T-Paw becomes the GOP candidate for being the first one to sack up.

hawksruleva on May 25, 2011 at 11:43 AM

A dangerous game. What will stop Dems from puking all over the TPaw plan like they have the Ryan plan?

littleguy on May 25, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Bad Timmy, bad!

Next thing you know, Pawlenty is going to tell Arne Carlson that he wasn’t responsible for the dot com boom.

Got to admit, Pawlenty is on a roll. So much so, he’s attracting the attention of Obama’s fluffers in the media, feeling the need to now do hit pieces.

MNHawk on May 25, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Who needs the left to spread lies, when we can do it ourselves.

John Deaux on May 25, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Oh, but that’s just it. The PDS people can’t simply object to her based on policy, without in the process trashing their own candidates. So we get the “she’s a joke” “quitter” garbage ad nauseam.

Hollowpoint on May 25, 2011 at 12:34 AM

RomneyCare albatross on the one hand, possible Giefer timebomb on the other. And somehow you think either is eminently more “electable” and “serious”.

pseudoforce on May 25, 2011 at 11:48 AM

MNHawk on May 25, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Huh? So NOW the volume of hit pieces is a a measure of a candidate’s perceived effectiveness? Maybe they just genuinely don’t like him? I thought that was the rationale.

pseudoforce on May 25, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Because of unseen and others like him, we got a pretty much in depth defense of Palin and exposure of the lies spread about her. It certainly was necessary, IMO, for an agressive defense to offset the vitriol that was spewed by Palin haters.

Right now, the only feasable candidates are Pawlenty and Romney. I don’t know enough about Cain but I saw him on FNS and I don’t know if he’s ready for this.

Right now it’s T-Paw for me pending further fleshing out of his record. His supporters should not be afraid to examine his record.

Vince on May 25, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Neither party has the will to balance the Federal budget, or even to cut much of anything. We are all Greeks now.

Default is coming–not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Emperor Norton on May 25, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Hollowpoint on May 24, 2011 at 10:28 PM

I’m glad to see you’re willing to argue the facts, discuss a politician’s record and don’t resort to name-calling to prove your point.

Not that I cared much about what you had to say anyway since you’re as predictable as a sunset about Palin, but after that comment, not just you, but anyone who takes you seriously themselves have lost any credibility.

What’s a shame is that at the time I’m writing this comment, only Palin supporters have criticized it. I would hope than even a Romney, or T-Paw, or Newt supporter would be willing to go out on a limb and point out that talking about a candidate (or even a commenter) in those terms is a bridge too far.

DrAllecon on May 25, 2011 at 12:29 PM

then he’ll go to West Virgina to talk about acid rain from coal power plants.

OxyCon on May 25, 2011 at 12:38 AM

That would kill him in this state, not among leftist whack-jobs, but among conservatives who would otherwise have supported him. We have only two things here in WV…coal and tourism. Fault of the idiots who keep voting D, I know, but that doesn’t mean we need to get rid of coal.

Pattosensei on May 25, 2011 at 12:41 PM

This isn’t a campaign, it’s an intervention.

I like him better than most of the options but I don’t know if this will help him. If it doesn’t, it will still be good to get this unpleasant message out.

At the least, in the future, he might be able to say, “I told you so.”

shick on May 25, 2011 at 1:21 PM

He’s trying honesty for a change. These changes he is suggesting are needed or this country ends when the money fountain ends.

If honesty is poison for a politician, then this country is dead and doesn’t realize it yet.

{^_^}

herself on May 25, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Time to head to Idaho for that big “common-sense gun control” speech?

mojo on May 25, 2011 at 3:16 PM

I am very interested in seeing the current candidates in the debates. They all have some work to do on their messaging. And everything they say, can and will, be used against them in the General.

First, kudos to Pawlenty for seriously pushing the truth. But this is very dangerous for him. Sometimes pleading the 5th is a good idea. Because he can’t do anything about any of it if he doesn’t win!

One of these people who seem so weak now will find their voice and represent us well next fall. I’m certain that we will beat Obama with one of our talented, sucessful, governors.

I really hope he isn’t hurting his chances in the long run by doing this.

petunia on May 25, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Conservative Samizdat on May 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Seconded. I’ll never vote for that ditz in the primary – but if she actually gets nominated we will probably have no other viable choice and another 4 years of Obama means certain doom.

Not quite sure yet what I’ll do if she runs third-party. I’d love to see the GOP get the spanking it deserves, but…

Uncle Sams Nephew on May 25, 2011 at 11:06 PM