Video: Pawlenty gets serious

posted at 8:45 am on May 23, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Tim Pawlenty will announce his official entry into the Republican nomination sweepstakes later today at a rally in Iowa, but he’s also making a statement with his latest video. Instead of the quick-cut, high-energy videos that his team has produced in the past, Pawlenty takes a more serious tone in this spot, and that’s no accident. The message here is that it’s time to get serious and face the truth about the fiscal abyss we face, and the man Republicans hope to replace in 2012 just isn’t up to that task — nor is his even attempting to be:

We need a President who understands that our problems are deep, and who has the courage to face them. President Obama doesn’t. I do.

It doesn’t get more blunt than that. Later today, I’ll interview Pawlenty about his new campaign, and his intention to tell some truths to the GOP establishment as well.

Update: According to his op-ed in today’s USA Today, he’s apparently going to tell some hard truths in Iowa about … farm subsidies?

That’s why later this week I’m going to New York City to tell Wall Street that if I’m elected, the era of bailouts and handouts for big banks is over. I’m going to Florida to tell both young people and seniors that our entitlement programs are on an unsustainable path and have to be changed. And, today, I’m in Iowa to speak truthfully about farm subsidies.

Conventional political wisdom says that it’s better to tell people what they want to hear, rather than what they need to hear. But conventional political wisdom is what got us into this fiscal mess in the first place. Anyone who can’t tell hard truths now won’t be able to lead our country in the future. We now know that President’s Obama’s promise of “hope and change” was just hopeless hype.

If Pawlenty goes to Iowa to oppose farm subsidies, that’s about as honest as a Midwestern politician can get.  Will Iowans support that kind of long-overdue honesty, or will they punish Pawlenty for it?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Amen KJ

cmsinaz on May 23, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Boring as usual.

promachus on May 23, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Yawnlenty

wheelgun on May 23, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Yawn. I could tolerate just five seconds of the shtick. We need to do a lot better than this.

paul1149 on May 23, 2011 at 9:03 AM

True, the guy doesn’t give good teleprompter, like our current president does. What’s that gotten us?

He was good in the first debate. He was on (a replay of) Hannity’s radio show yesterday, and when he’s off the cuff, he’s good.

I’m not bothered by boring, although that is an electability issue. I like what the guy is saying.

iurockhead on May 23, 2011 at 10:11 AM

No thanks – I will vote for the person who has been
saying all this for over two years. No, “Johnny Come
Lately” candidates for this voter.

Amjean on May 23, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Anybody who thinks in terms of “cap and tax” is not worthy of the president.

tarpon on May 23, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Lest you think that I am anti-Palin (I am not), I merely point out the fact that FNC has yet to give Sarah the ultimatum about her status the same way that Newt, Mike and Rick got theirs.

If she sees a like minded Tea Party soul in the race with a decent chance of winning, she’ll stay out and keep her powder dry. If Cain flames out, Bachmann stays out, and no other individuals step up to the plate, only THEN do I see her making that move.

And I remind everyone again – if she enters, I’m IN. Otherwise, it is still wait and see mode.

itzWicks on May 23, 2011 at 10:04 AM

No, I didn’t take your statement as anti-Palin at all, just think the new house is a campaign base, not to be near Bristol. She has raised pretty independent kids, she doesn’t need to be at their side all their life.

I think she’s in. She repeatedly says she won’t announce until summer and she is a woman of her word. Look at how things have played out over the past few weeks – pretty shrewd of her.

stenwin77 on May 23, 2011 at 10:15 AM

By the numbers:

There is no Number Six (obscure geek reference).

itzWicks on May 23, 2011 at 9:52 AM

I’m not a geek so I’ll give you number six…
6 – Unify with swift defense and counter charges against all cries of racism unless charge is absolutely and obviously true.

RalphyBoy on May 23, 2011 at 10:15 AM

A novel about Abigail Adams. (that’s John Adams’ wife)
stenwin77 on May 23, 2011 at 10:02 AM

What what!! Represent.

Abby Adams on May 23, 2011 at 10:16 AM

A novel about Abigail Adams. (that’s John Adams’ wife)
stenwin77 on May 23, 2011 at 10:02 AM
What what!! Represent.

Abby Adams on May 23, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Great name you have there ! Have you ever read “Those who Love?” What a story. She (Abigail) is my FAVORITE historical figure.

stenwin77 on May 23, 2011 at 10:19 AM

idesign on May 23, 2011 at 9:38 AM

stenwin77 on May 23, 2011 at 9:43 AM

If T-Paw wins the primary, would you vote for him?

Vince on May 23, 2011 at 10:20 AM

If T-Paw wins the primary, would you vote for him?

Vince on May 23, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Yep…

idesign on May 23, 2011 at 10:25 AM

An almost perfect TV spot. My only issue was that the music at the very end was very over the top and actually distracted from his final statement. Other than that, pure gold: allusions to a working class background, shots of old white folks and TPaw playing hockey…all without saying anything other than debt, Obama bad, TPaw good. Pawlenty seems to have secured a good media team.

ernesto on May 23, 2011 at 10:28 AM

stenwin77 on May 23, 2011 at 10:02 AM

I read ‘Those Who Love’ when I was in grade school.
There’s absolutely no comparing the passion the Founding Fathers had to some Palin supporters near deification of her-none.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 23, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Those older videos are awful. I hope he fired that video team.

Paul-Cincy on May 23, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Uh oh. Time to get serious. Better get serious. A serious-faced man is telling me so. Seriously. Serious times require serious-faced men.

rrpjr on May 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM

ernesto on May 23, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Remember, ernesto wants Obama to be re-elected.

kingsjester on May 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Abby Adams on May 23, 2011 at 10:16 AM

i’m not a fond of Abby(the historical figure-not the blog commentor. LoL) as I am of John. John was something else. Btw: Have you read ‘John Adams’ by David McCullough? I’ve got it-and it’s a great read!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Who?

Knott Buyinit on May 23, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Very strong commercial. The question always lies with the actions that follow up the slick preenings of a politician. Let’s see what you’ve got T-Paw. Boring or not, a guy that says what he means, means what he says, and does what he means and says will get my vote.

GoodSamaritan on May 23, 2011 at 10:33 AM

stenwin77 on May 23, 2011 at 10:19 AM

No, haven’t got to that one. I’ll have to check it out. :-)

annoyinglittletwerp on May 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Boo. Abigail was/is amazing. But maybe I’m biased. ;-) I’ve started the McCullough book once, but had to put it down for other things. I saw the miniseries with Laura Linney (good actress, not-so-good politics) playing Abigail though. It’s not the same, obviously, but I’ll get back to “John Adams” at some point.

Abby Adams on May 23, 2011 at 10:35 AM

idesign on May 23, 2011 at 9:38 AM
stenwin77 on May 23, 2011 at 9:43 AM
If T-Paw wins the primary, would you vote for him?

Vince on May 23, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Yes. Would you vote for Palin if she wins the Primary

stenwin77 on May 23, 2011 at 10:36 AM

DNC ad attacks Pawlenty as he prepares to make candidacy official

The ad attacks Pawlenty for cutting healthcare for low income residents of Minnesota while serving as governor and for the fact that the state currently has
a $6 billion deficit. It also notes that Pawlenty’s approval ratings had slipped by his second term.

“Is he representing the Tea Party?” asks the script, before showing clips of Pawlenty praising President George W. Bush’s policies and supporting cap and trade.

“Maybe he’s the moderate alternative to Tea Party conservatives?” asks the script, before showing clips of Pawlenty disowning his prior position on cap and trade, denouncing Obama’s health care program and saying that President Obama is embarrassed by the United States.

“Tell us Tim… Why are you running?” rolls the script.

“I don’t know, I wish I had a good answer for you on that,” it says, quoting the Time magazine article.

steebo77 on May 23, 2011 at 10:36 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 23, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Your meme wears thin. The FF risked everything for country. That is a passion that transcends blog postings, I’d say.

littleguy on May 23, 2011 at 10:36 AM

“Change — only this time, for the better.”

Hahaha.

I have a feeling Barry’s going to get a lot of his inane 2008 slogans thrown back in his face.

AZCoyote on May 23, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Those older videos are awful. I hope he fired that video team.

Paul-Cincy on May 23, 2011 at 10:28 AM

They were better than this schmaltzy carp.

ElectricPhase on May 23, 2011 at 10:36 AM

stenwin77,

Socialsist views? I think you need a refresher course on what socialism is.

Pablo Snooze on May 23, 2011 at 10:37 AM

ernesto on May 23, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Remember, ernesto wants Obama to be re-elected.

kingsjester on May 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Ruh-roh. Time to rethink my approval of the ad. :-)

Abby Adams on May 23, 2011 at 10:41 AM

If Pawlenty goes to Iowa to oppose farm subsidies, that’s about as honest as a Midwestern politician can get. Will Iowans support that kind of long-overdue honesty, or will they punish Pawlenty for it?

If he does this for real-zie, he’ll quickly move up to #3 on my list of choices.

SouthernGent on May 23, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Yes. Would you vote for Palin if she wins the Primary

stenwin77 on May 23, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Absolutely!

Vince on May 23, 2011 at 10:53 AM

If he really does lay out the stark truth about our financial problems, it’ll be refreshing. And I’d like to think people woudl respond positively.

We’ll see.

hawksruleva on May 23, 2011 at 10:54 AM

“Tell us Tim… Why are you running?” rolls the script.

steebo77 on May 23, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Didn’t take long to exploit that. Next will probably be one on Cain explaining how he’s banning any American Muslims from his cabinet.

Dongemaharu on May 23, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Dongemaharu on May 23, 2011 at 11:04 AM

It seems like the Dems are ready to take on any and all of our prospective candidates. We are entering into what I think will prove to be the most negative re-elction campaign in history.

steebo77 on May 23, 2011 at 11:06 AM

- 2006

good times good times

unseen on May 23, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Ed, I liked the video. Can’t wait for the fun to begin.

sleepy-beans on May 23, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Well, if he’s got the guts to say no to corn ethanol in Iowa, he’ll rise to the top of my short list. He doesn’t have to take the real big bite of all farm subsidies, just the corn ethanol. I’ve said all along this should be the litmus test. If the rest want to tap dance the issue, …under the bus they go.

a capella on May 23, 2011 at 11:12 AM

good times good times

unseen on May 23, 2011 at 11:09 AM

What’s his excuse for saying that? It sure as heck can’t be a Bush-like “you have to abandon the free market to save the free market in times of crisis” wad of BS. Those words were uttered well before the collapse of the housing bubble, the subsequent financial crisis, or the ensuing recession. Care to explain, Timmy?

steebo77 on May 23, 2011 at 11:12 AM

I find it kinda funny that two posters who like this video are named Pablo Snooze and sleepy-beans.

Jerome Horwitz on May 23, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Pawlenty’s big ideas: A sampler

2002-03
Big idea: Took no-new taxes pledge, promising not to raise state levies. Result: Pledge made a powerful campaign theme, and Pawlenty pushed through a belt-tightening budget in his first year, balancing a record shortfall without state tax hikes.

2003
Big idea: Proposed restoring Minnesota’s death penalty in the wake of the Dru Sjodin murder. Result: Lack of legislative support quickly killed the plan

2004
Big idea: Declares war on high prescription drug prices; crosses FDA by launching state website for Canadian drug purchases; attempts to pressure drug giant Pfizer through state pension fund stock holdings. Result: Website gets only light traffic; Pfizer policies unchanged.

2004-05
Big idea: Demands Indian tribes share casino profits with state, suggests Mall of America casino deal with northern tribes if they don’t. Result: No change in state gambling policy.

2005
Big idea: Proposes health impact “fee” on tobacco to break budget deadlock, insisting it does not break his no-new taxes pledge. Result: Revenue from fee breaks budget stalemate; fee upheld in court.

2005-06
Big idea: Proposes broad action to deny services to illegal immigrants. Result: No significant change in state policy.

2006-07
Big idea: Announces plan to provide health insurance for all children in Minnesota. Result: Only a minor expansion of coverage is enacted.

2007
Big idea: In wake of bridge collapse, reverses course and says he would consider signing a gas-tax hike. Result: Nothing so far

Here is a good look at Tpaw’s ideas over his terms as gov. Some good some not so good.

unseen on May 23, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Remember, ernesto wants Obama to be re-elected.

kingsjester on May 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Ruh-roh. Time to rethink my approval of the ad. :-)

Abby Adams on May 23, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I don’t know if this particular Obamabot is working some super secret reverse psychology — I doubt it — but he’s right. The hockey playing with kids, the humble working class background. It’s a good ad. He’s got Palin’s “regular person” thing combined with lots of executive experience. He’s a nice guy. Barry doesn’t play well with nice guys. He comes off as shrill and bullying. As I recall, in fact, young Barry was known as a bully in grammar school. Pawlenty would be able to bring out that side in him, and people will not like what they see. The Obama camp is afraid of Pawlenty, which is why they haven’t been paying much attention to him. They want someone they can easily smear as right-wing, extremist, racist, xenophobic, religious zealot, etc. It’s all they’ve got. No smears? No campaign. No second term.

Rational Thought on May 23, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Pawlenty is my pick for now. Best combination of conservative + electable. For now at least.

therightwinger on May 23, 2011 at 11:18 AM

steebo77 on May 23, 2011 at 11:12 AM

here is the entire spin contour spin on his quote: (same source)

Someone on Gov. Pawlenty’s staff must read blogs, for even this writer with a tiny readership (for his blog at least) got a letter from the re-election campaign. For the benefit of anyone reading this thread who didn’t get the letter, here it is:

—————–
Friends,
I wanted to make sure you saw the clarification that ran today in the Star Tribune regarding a quote in Saturday’s paper that was attributed to the Governor.

Please note that the Governor was not declaring that the “era of small government is over”, but simply discussing points made in an article by that title.

If you have questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

We look forward to working with you to keep taxes down and hold government accountable for four more years.

Thanks,
Mike
____________________
Michael Krueger
Campaign Manager
Pawlenty for Governor

————————–
Compare this with the Lopez article:

“The era of small government is over,” Pawlenty said in an interview with the Star Tribune. “I’m a market person, but there are certain circumstances where you’ve got to have government put up the guardrails or bust up entrenched interests before they become too powerful … Government has to be more proactive, more aggressive.”

When Pawlenty says “I’m a market person, but …,” it sure doesn’t sound like he is giving a detached analysis of a piece of punditry.

Here’s what the clarification said:

An article on Page B1 Saturday quoted Gov. Tim Pawlenty saying “The era of small government is over,” a comment he made in reference to a point made in a 2004 column by New York Times columnist David Brooks. Pawlenty spokesman Brian McClung said Monday that Pawlenty’s record shows he is not a supporter of “big government” and that he was “simply talking about the need for government to be more effective and active.”

In other words, blame the media.

ther eis also a great WSJ article by Jason Lewis on TPaw’s record. It was written in 2008 when McCain wa sthinking of picking Tpaw for VP.

unseen on May 23, 2011 at 11:19 AM

therightwinger on May 23, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Same here

buckichick1 on May 23, 2011 at 11:22 AM

therightwinger on May 23, 2011 at 11:18 AM

ROFL I thought your main topic was illegal immigration?

Minneapolis, Minnesota

St. Paul, Minnesota

Worthington, Minnesota

sanctuary citiesduring Tpaw’s terms

unseen on May 23, 2011 at 11:28 AM

A curse of the media age is that we get to look at images of our candidates early, often, and accurately, before we get to hear their platforms.

In the old days one might see an engraving in a newspaper or handbill, but mostly concentrate on the candidates’ positions on the issues, without much regard to the candidates’ looks.

Tim Pawlenty is weird looking, to me. His face is all off kilter. He looks kind of creepy. Kind of like a lot of the old-time presidents when you actually looked at them.

That should affect my opinion of him, but on some level, I can’t help it. T-Paw looks stranger than Romney.

I guess to bring it back to the old days, all photos of the candidates should be Photoshopped to look nice, just like the stylized engravings 19th-century voters used to see.

cane_loader on May 23, 2011 at 11:28 AM

That should shouldn’t affect my opinion of him, but on some level, I can’t help it.

cane_loader on May 23, 2011 at 11:32 AM

ROFL I thought your main topic was illegal immigration?

Huh? I’ve never said that.

My #1 issue is spending.

therightwinger on May 23, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Yes. Would you vote for Palin if she wins the Primary

stenwin77 on May 23, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Absolutely!

Vince on May 23, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Ditto here as well.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 23, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Huh? I’ve never said that.

My #1 issue is spending.

therightwinger on May 23, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Transparent shill.

the_nile on May 23, 2011 at 11:37 AM

sanctuary citiesduring Tpaw’s terms

unseen on May 23, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Was he for or against McCain’s re-election? I don’t remember.

a capella on May 23, 2011 at 11:37 AM

therightwinger on May 23, 2011 at 11:18 AM

ROFL I thought your main topic was illegal immigration?
unseen on May 23, 2011 at 11:28 AM

You’re probably thinking of rightwingyahoo.

steebo77 on May 23, 2011 at 11:38 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 23, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I was NOT comparing FF passion to current passion, I was pointing out that if Palin’s supporter passion looked cultish, or “religious” (you made the “religious” camparison and references) you’d be absolutely puking over the FF’s religious beliefs.

stenwin77 on May 23, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Pawlenty gets serious.

Get serious.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Also, regarding the ad: By making “truth” the center of his rhetorical argument, Pawlenty is telling Americans that Barack Obama is a liar, but he’s doing it cleverly. He’s saying we have to face certain truths about the state of the country today, but by casting himself as the candidate of truth, he casts Obama as the candidate of lies. It’s the kind of rhetorical message that will drive Obama nuts because he’ll always have to be playing defense against it. And when Barry’s on defense, he always says stupid sh*t.

Rational Thought on May 23, 2011 at 11:45 AM

You’re probably thinking of rightwingyahoo.

steebo77 on May 23, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Ooops , I did , sorry therightwinger.

the_nile on May 23, 2011 at 11:46 AM

stenwin77 on May 23, 2011 at 10:02 AM

I read ‘Those Who Love’ when I was in grade school.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 23, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Really? A 2,000 page novel by Irving Stone in GRADE SCHOOL?
Wow, call me stunned,and somewhat amused. I suppose you also read Stone’s “Love is Eternal” and “The Agony and the Ecstasy” in Kindergarten. Simply amazing.

stenwin77 on May 23, 2011 at 11:49 AM

stenwin77,

Socialsist views? I think you need a refresher course on what socialism is.

Pablo Snooze on May 23, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Oh, I don’t know. A bigger, bigger government that provides EVERYTHING for its citizens sounds socialist to me.

stenwin77 on May 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Obama also got serious, today, about his Irish roots. Told you that by 2012 he’ll be 75% white. He needs thos bible-thumpin, gun-toting, truck-driving, cousin-thumping hiks back.

Schadenfreude on May 23, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Well Tpaw is better than Mitt so that’s a plus for him right there

unseen on May 23, 2011 at 11:56 AM

He needs the cousin-humpin, not -thumpin, back, but still, he’s going to lie his way in, one more time.

Winning the Truth!

Schadenfreude on May 23, 2011 at 11:56 AM

You’re probably thinking of rightwingyahoo.

steebo77 on May 23, 2011 at 11:38 AM

oh crap your right. My mistake. sorry to rightwinger

unseen on May 23, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Was he for or against McCain’s re-election? I don’t remember.

a capella on May 23, 2011 at 11:37 AM

did McCain pick him as VP i don’t remember.

unseen on May 23, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Huh? I’ve never said that.

My #1 issue is spending.

therightwinger on May 23, 2011 at 11:34 AM

your right. i’m sorry got you confused with rightwingyahoo.

unseen on May 23, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Tim Pawlenty’s hometown newspaper, the St. Paul Pioneer Press, ran the story of his presidential campaign announcement on the Obituary page this morning,

idesign on May 23, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Look at all of these people hating on Pawlenty. Funny… it’s a lot of the same people who get their panties in a bunch when some other candidate gets critiqued. I’m sure I don’t need to mention names.

Unless someone better gets in the race, Pawlenty has my support. Even moreso if he talks serious business about farm subsidies.

TIMMEH!!!

Abby Adams on May 23, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Excuse me, but I see a lot of people calling this ad “boring,” not just “supporters of a certain candidate.” One person didn’t even watch more than five seconds of it and dismissed it. I liked the ad, and I like Pawlenty. He isn’t perfect, but no candidate is.

I am a Palin fan. She is my preferred candidate, but if she doesn’t run, my support will go to the next best candidate and right now that is Pawlenty. Cain had me, but lost me with his stupid statements over the weekend.

JannyMae on May 23, 2011 at 12:08 PM

- 2006

One can be a market person and be against irresponsible corporate behavior. Government, if it wasn’t compromised, would be the one that sets the ground rules.

rickyricardo on May 23, 2011 at 12:09 PM

idesign on May 23, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Is that true? If so that is damn funny.

unseen on May 23, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Cults of personalities are bad.
Embrace the sanity.
*smiles sweetly*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 23, 2011 at 9:36 AM

You dislike Palin because of her supporters, and you call that “sanity?”

JannyMae on May 23, 2011 at 12:13 PM

rickyricardo on May 23, 2011 at 12:09 PM

But see that is the nature of government to be corrupted did. power corrupts. Gov is a necassary evil that must be limitted and defined to certain areas It is not the job of govenrment to be proactive but to be reactive in a free country.

Freedom allows people to do what they want. If those actions become a threat to the society they the people throught their elected leaders move to make that action illegal.

I hav eno problem with anti-trust, breaking up too big to fail industry. I do have a problem with government deciding who can become biog and who can’t . who gets broken up and who doesn’t based on the amount of money that company gives to a politican.

unseen on May 23, 2011 at 12:16 PM

cane_loader on May 23, 2011 at 11:32 AM

When the politics is so nearly the same, sometimes that is what tips the scales.

All of the current candidates are fine with me.

I don’t see some of them going very far but I can live with any of them as the nominee.

petunia on May 23, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Schadenfreude on May 23, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I was laughing as I saw the name of the town his ancestors came from — Moneygall, Offaly.

Perfect. Obama loves money, has lots of gall, I’d say awfully. Or maybe he is just offal.

Greyledge Gal on May 23, 2011 at 12:17 PM

idesign on May 23, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Seriously? LOL

Yeah, Pawlenty will get my vote if he is the nominee. But he is boring, uninspiring, and I question his conservative credentials. I don’t think he can beat Obama.

Norwegian on May 23, 2011 at 12:20 PM

did McCain pick him as VP i don’t remember.

unseen on May 23, 2011 at 11:58 AM

I understand how positions can change depending on political circumstances and needs. No problem.

a capella on May 23, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I notice there is little information being disseminated in this thread about Pawlenty after McCain lost the Presidency.

If I recall correctly, TPaw spent a good deal of time campaigning with Palin and Bachmann in 2010. Seems to me, a lot of his stances took a more conservative bent during this time period.

Maybe he has rethought some things since sharing views with the two ladies? I like TPaw and see his boring as a plus that can be marketed as stable. I also don’t mind if a candidate or elected official changes viewpoints after more education on a subject as TPaw seemed to do on his cap and tax stance.

In any event, he can’t be worse than Obama and he might be just the ticket to draw the middle of the road and independent voters.

The real test would be who he would choose as his VP. It would have to be someone with intensity but not too overpowering or you get another McCain v. Palin scenario — I love Palin but once she was there, it was even more obvious how bad McCain was.

Greyledge Gal on May 23, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Tim Pawlenty’s announcing his candidacy isn’t drawing too much excitement. Other 2012 contenders are already overshadowing his announcement.

Conservative Samizdat on May 23, 2011 at 12:41 PM

wow i did not know this:

Without reform, spending cuts all too often reappear as cost increases elsewhere. The sad and tragic reality is that this is what happens when politics and simple slogans become the prime concern rather than quality long-term budgeting.

Further evidence of this can be seen in the fact that from 2003 to today, Minnesota has been rolling from deficit to deficit and in spite of warnings from Moody’s concerning the folly of short-term fixes, Governor Pawlenty continued to achieve budget balance by employing the following:

➢ Borrowing over $1 billion from the tobacco settlement – money designated for health care.
➢ Taking over $2 billion from the federal stimulus funds.
➢ Borrowing over $1.4 billion from K-12 education funding.
➢ Borrowing over $400 million from the Healthcare Access Fund for low-income families.
➢ Accelerating tax payments.
➢ Delaying bill payments.
➢ Engaging in accounting shifts.

In the process, Moody’s lowered Minnesota’s bond rating.

And, much of this activity preceded the recession of 2007 and no borrowed monies have been paid back thereby leaving Minnesota with a $5.1 billion deficit – the 7th most severe in the United States.

unseen on May 23, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I’ll admit. This type of serious ad talking about “hard truths” spoke to me. I feel he oversold himself on his background again, but that’s because I watched the Fox GOP debate where he repeated his upbringing every chance he got and felt way to political.

The problem is his record as Steebo77 keeps throwing up links about. I would be totally up for T-Paw if his background wasn’t littered with red flags and landmines. I don’t need to merely hear a hard truth about difficult choices. I already know them. I want a person I know has the principles and the integrity to make the difficult choice. So far I have only seen one candidate that has proven she will make those choices.

T-Paw said it himself. We’ve had 3 years of speeches. This ad amounts to little more than a speech. Show me why I can believe your words T-Paw, because your record has so far not won my trust.

Pattosensei on May 23, 2011 at 12:53 PM

This video is better than the last ones, but they’re still too produced by half. Two issues – one: does it really seem appropriate to make self-hero-worshiping videos to contrast one’s self from Obama, two: These videos might work on network TV, but aren’t they much more likely to be seen by more cynical politicos who are prone to tear them apart online?
I’m keeping an open mind, but he’s gotta find the bass in his voice.

galenrox on May 23, 2011 at 12:59 PM

I’m in favor of Pawlenty, but I didn’t get to the end of the video.

The first was great! But it got… I don’t know… I think I’ve heard all this before, so I stopped it.

Pawlenty needs something to help him hold our interest more.

petunia on May 23, 2011 at 1:42 PM

unseen on May 23, 2011 at 12:43 PM

So when has something that’s purely a city/county issue become the fault of Pawlenty? Pawlenty has plenty of historical wrong positions. S**tholeapolis raising their property taxes by obscene amounts isn’t one of them.

MNHawk on May 23, 2011 at 3:19 PM

“Change — only this time, for the better.”

Hahaha.

AZCoyote on May 23, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Yeah, and from Hilary, too. I’ll be really surprised if she doesn’t primary him. He did her the dirt in ’08, as did the DNC and the media. She’s not the type to forgive and forget. That’s one primary that would drive popcorn futures through the roof.

smellthecoffee on May 23, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Let the T-Pawty begin!

Lawdawg86 on May 23, 2011 at 3:58 PM

iurockhead on May 23, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I’m tired of that lame line of thinking. Just because Obama can read a teleprompter and is charismatic, the GOP has to find a boring vanilla guy to make the contrast. Idiotic.

pseudoforce on May 23, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I’m in favor of Pawlenty, but I didn’t get to the end of the video.

Pawlenty needs something to help him hold our interest more.

petunia on May 23, 2011 at 1:42 PM

It would’ve been a lot better without all the cheesy end-of-a-Michael-Bay-movie music. Is T-Paw going to give his stump speeches with a gothic chorus singing behind him?

Lawdawg86 on May 23, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Let the T-Pawty begin!

Lawdawg86 on May 23, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Well, maybe he inched ahead of the departed Daniels in the polls.

pseudoforce on May 23, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Pawlenty needs something to help him hold our interest more.

petunia on May 23, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Yep. It’s called “charisma”, and that’s why it’s important.

pseudoforce on May 23, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Conservative Samizdat on May 23, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Yeah, being as you are a Romney supporter I can understand why you would much rather Bachmann jump in there than Palin.

pseudoforce on May 23, 2011 at 4:10 PM

JannyMae on May 23, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Agreed. I was totally on board with Cain until I heard his interview with Chris Wallace. Wallace is probably the most objective roundtable host he would ever face! He really spit the bit and showed how ill-prepared he is for the role of President. He just doesn’t have the foreign policy credentials necessary. He might be an excellent Treasury Secretary though. And in the end, that wouldn’t be so bad.

rmel80 on May 23, 2011 at 4:10 PM

The era of small government is over . . . government has to be more proactive, more aggressive.

WSJ

faraway on May 23, 2011 at 9:41 AM

As long as all that is in context, that will be all I need to hear to not put him on a possible nominee list. Do we know for sure those clips from his remarks are in context?

csdeven on May 23, 2011 at 5:15 PM

If T-Paw wins the primary, would you vote for him?

Vince on May 23, 2011 at 10:20 AM

No, I’ll be writing in for Sarah Palin.

I voted both times for Pawlenty as Minnesota Governor and it got us higher energy bills every month.

During his decade long greenie phase he championed and signed legislation requiring the state’s energy utilities to by increasing percentages of expensive greenie energy for resale in Minnesota.

I need a President smarter than Pawlenty falling for a Democrat tale that the world is coming to an end and that only politicians like him can save it by passing every leftist’s wet dream of massive new taxes and equally massive regulatioins on every facet of every American’s life.

RJL on May 23, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Really? A 2,000 page novel by Irving Stone in GRADE SCHOOL?

stenwin77 on May 23, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I didn’t learn to read until I was 7-and then I took off.
It was the Reader’s Digest Condensed version and I was in 5th grade. I read the full version in jr.high-not that it’s any %^&*(%$ busines of yours.
Btw:You’re typical Palinista bully. Way to go pal.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 23, 2011 at 11:29 PM

8 – The potential Palin move to AZ is more about being near her daughter than it is about a POTUS run. That said, it DOES give her a Lower 48 base of operations for now and the future.

Arizona does get Palin closer to the man who originally made her famous: John McCain.

Steve Z on May 24, 2011 at 9:30 AM

He’ll have to be more specific, by coming out against ETHANOL subsidies. Burning 80 BTU of gasoline and destroying food to make 100 BTU of ethanol makes no sense whatsoever when corn prices are through the roof, and we could export corn to OPEC countries and use the money to buy oil.

The Oil-for-Food program, American free-market style!

Steve Z on May 24, 2011 at 9:45 AM