Quotes of the day

posted at 10:55 pm on May 23, 2011 by Allahpundit

“While none of the friends blamed Daniels for putting his family first, many saw irony in the situation, even noting that the man derided by some on the religious right for his so-called social issues ‘truce’ proposal was living by the ‘family values’ that conservative voters aspire to…

“Bell said the marriage stories were only one element of a bigger issue the Daniels’ confronted – namely what this would mean for the rest of their life.

“The marital history ‘was a short-term issue – they could deal with by saying they had a story to tell that I think most Americans could identify with, which is if you like a love story with a happy ending you’ll like ours,’ said Bell. ‘It was more if you run and you win your entire 60s are spent as President of the United States and the rest of your life is spent as the former President of the United States. To the family that changes everything.’

“Yet it’s unclear that the focus on their marriage would actually be ‘short-term.’ It was also unclear that the ‘happy ending’ of their lives together would answer the questions people had about the overall situation.

***
“A whisper campaign already making the rounds among political activists revealed how tough some of the scrutiny was going to be: What kind of first lady would leave her children at home for her husband to raise? Why did Mitch Daniels take her back?…

“Daniels’ own divorce lawyer has privately hinted to some Washington insiders that the particulars of the break-up were so messy that it would indeed be a problem if the two-term governor ran for president…

“Some supporters, including former John McCain aide Mark Salter, had urged Daniels to run regardless of his marital history, suggesting that it was virtually his duty to do so. In his statement to backers, Daniels acknowledged this sentiment, saying, ‘If I have disappointed you, I will always be sorry. If you feel that this was a non-courageous or unpatriotic decision, I understand and will not attempt to persuade you otherwise. I only hope that you will accept my sincerity in the judgment I reached.’”

***
“‘I can see him wanting to contribute to the cause but there is no timeline or shot clock’ for choosing a candidate to support, Indiana GOP Chairman Eric Holcomb told reporters on conference call Monday.

“Holcomb was asked several times if Daniels would consider being on the Republican ticket as a running mate. He downplayed the possibility, but added: ‘I am not going to take it off the table for him.’”

***
“One Daniels friend even suggested that the governor might be persuaded to reconsider his decision if his wife and daughters warm up to the idea of a campaign.

“‘This isn’t over yet,’ said the friend. ‘I don’t think some people will take ‘no’ for an answer.’…

“The Republican race remains so unsettled that most Daniels admirers say they won’t feel compelled to choose a candidate for some time. The sooner that point comes, the likelier it seems that the Indiana governor’s support will simply scatter across the top tier of the Republican presidential field, rather than coalescing around a single individual.”

***
“So even as the two chief Romney alternatives wake up Sunday morning and exalt about the cleaner shot they now have at the frontrunner, the oft-derided former Massachusetts governor also now faces a clearer path to the nomination.

“Without Daniels in the race, Romney at the moment faces no Republican who can put together as robust a fundraising network.

“That means Romney’s ‘long slog’ approach to the nomination is now much more realistic: without significant cash, who else can go the distance?

“He has tred carefully in Iowa so far, but there’s now one less Midwestern governor competing there. Should Pawlenty and a handful of other, more conservative candidates divide up the vote there that Huckabee won in 2008, Romney could win in a plurality, then capture New Hampshire and effectively wrap up the nomination. But even if a Pawlenty or a right-wing Republican takes the caucuses, that doesn’t necessarily mean they’d be formidable for the long haul delegate battle.”

***
“[T]here is a dangerous dynamic for Mr. Pawlenty — and perhaps also Mr. Huntsman and Mr. Romney — in that the chorus of conservatives who are dissatisfied with their field is only likely to grow louder. Mr. Pawlenty no longer has to compete directly against Mr. Daniels — but he still has to compete against the idea of Mr. Daniels, a candidate who perhaps was perceived as having somewhat more gravitas and who (because of his service in the George W. Bush administration) was more familiar to some within Washington. As a commenter at the conservative grass-roots blog RedState astutely noted, Mr. Daniels’ decision could give rise to a number of ‘unfounded myths of what a great candidate and president he would have been’.

“The remaining candidates, in essence, are still running against Mr. Daniels’ ghost. And ghosts don’t make gaffes, or post disappointing fundraising numbers, like real candidates do. I think Republicans have legitimate reason to worry about the strength of their field — but they have some candidates who would perform better than others against Mr. Obama. If those candidates are held to an impossible standard, the party’s electoral fortunes will not benefit.”

***
“GOP strategists say that the removal of Daniels as a factor has made it even more obvious that the contest is becoming one between presumed front-runner Mitt Romney and a pack of underdogs hoping to emerge as the alternative to the former Massachusetts governor…

“For all the Republican hand-wringing over the state of the race, there is one place where the strength of the potential field is not being discounted: the Obama White House…

“Said one adviser to the Obama reelection campaign, who spoke on the condition of anonymity: ‘Through the process of winning that nomination, they will achieve stature, and by the reality of having won that nomination, they will be competitive with the president at fundraising.’

“Added another: ‘Unless it’s Palin or Gingrich, we expect a very close race no matter who emerges.’”

Comments

Nope I was wrong…No Bibi.

Electrongod on May 23, 2011 at 10:57 PM

It takes a bigger man (sorry, Mitch, I couldn’t resist) to put his personal and political ambitions on the backburner in favor of his family’s interests. I really respect him for this.

cynccook on May 23, 2011 at 10:59 PM

The tramp factor.

John the Libertarian on May 23, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Daniels. Really? blah

upinak on May 23, 2011 at 10:59 PM

In any case, buck up, patriots, all may not be lost:

Brian Kilmeade asks if Trump is not ruling out a “late entry” into the race:

“I would not rule it out, no. I would not rule it out. I said I wouldn’t do it, I said I probably, you know– in so many different respects I see what’s going on. I can’t rule out anything. The country is so important, it’s so vital that we choose the right person. And at this moment I don’t see that person.”

cynccook on May 23, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Wow, his heart is really low.

SouthernGent on May 23, 2011 at 11:02 PM

So he won’t be leaving the Lollipop Guild?

darwin-t on May 23, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Aftermath?

af·ter·math (ftr-mth)
n.
1. A consequence, especially of a disaster or misfortune: famine as an aftermath of drought.
2. A period of time following a disastrous event: in the aftermath of war.

Connie on May 23, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Nope I was wrong…No Bibi.

Electrongod on May 23, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Yes, I was hoping for that, too.

Mirimichi on May 23, 2011 at 11:03 PM

I don’t buy it. Their marital history is unusual and downright excruciating in a presidential campaign. Don’t blame the guy one bit for dropping out; unless you’re truly power-crazed no-one wants that kind of scrutiny. Especially from a media that’s too busy fellating Obama to ask any difficult questions of him. How awesome is it, being about as Irish as I am, Jug-ears?

Fortunata on May 23, 2011 at 11:03 PM

“If those candidates are held to an impossible standard,…”

Now why would the political elite ruling class and state run media want to do that…?

… Oh, wait!

I guess we should all sit back and wait to be told who to vote for…

Seven Percent Solution on May 23, 2011 at 11:03 PM

So he won’t be leaving the Lollipop Guild?

darwin-t on May 23, 2011 at 11:02 PM

*rimshot

equanimous on May 23, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Can this please, please, pleeeeease be the last pic we have to see of Daniels on this site? Please?

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on May 23, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Palin topic, close to 300 posts.

Daniels….lucky to break 25.

Bishop on May 23, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Bolton/Cheney 2012

heh.

Coronary for Wapo and NYT.

fogw on May 23, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Bishop on May 23, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Yes, you are right. This is boring, lets turn it into a Palin thread.

Mirimichi on May 23, 2011 at 11:08 PM

MD is a loser.

moonbatkiller on May 23, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Bishop on May 23, 2011 at 11:06 PM
Yes, you are right. This is boring, lets turn it into a Palin thread.

Mirimichi on May 23, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Ruh-roh. Mutiny is afoot!

cynccook on May 23, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Wow, his heart is really low.

SouthernGent on May 23, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Heartburn…maybe.

Electrongod on May 23, 2011 at 11:11 PM

I’m having a hard time understanding the outpouring of grief that a potential candidate that (I think) never broke into double-digit polling choosing not to run has generated.

Am I missing something?

cs89 on May 23, 2011 at 11:12 PM

The reason Daniels won’t run is because his wife and family don’t want to be Palinized….fair enough.

Well, well, well…..now the Republican elite and the GOP good old boys are crying in their beers cuz Daniels won’t run.
My answer to them is, ain’t that too bad.

Where were all you guys when Palin was being tormented?
If they would have been supportive and nipped it in the bud, Daniels would be making a “I’m running for President” video as we speak and we never would have heard of the word “palinized”.

tencole on May 23, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Am I missing something?

cs89 on May 23, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Yeah, I don’t get it either, but I suppose it has something to do with the members of the press wanting to keep talking about the Daniels’ unusual marriage. Daniels hadn’t exactly caught fire, so why would he put his family through the grist mill of a campaign for what would likely be nothing?

cynccook on May 23, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Am I missing something?

cs89 on May 23, 2011 at 11:12 PM

You’re apparently missing membership into the Beltway elite, as they’re some of the only people who thought Daniels had what it would take.

Most of the posters on here, like myself, just see a Not Ready For Prime Time Player who keeps doing pratfalls while trying to accomplish the simplest things.

teke184 on May 23, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Thank god all these stupid things are happening now.

Apologetic California on May 23, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Thank god all these stupid things are happening now.

Apologetic California on May 23, 2011 at 11:18 PM

This has merit.

Electrongod on May 23, 2011 at 11:20 PM

I don’t think it is Mitch who is afraid to get in the ring. I think it is his wife. She is the big-time loser in this deal. She left him and their 2 kids for her high-school boyfriend, trying to rekindle that old fire. It makes her look real bad and will reflect on Mitch and his campaign. Has nothing to do with his policies and past achievements.

It makes me wonder about his judgement as to why he would take her back.

Mirimichi on May 23, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Well, yawn. Think I’ll go and sort my dish towel drawer by color.

cynccook on May 23, 2011 at 11:24 PM

This lawyer got paid, a lot…very ‘professional’.

It’s good that MD is not running. Someone more impertinent than Obama must get in the ring and fight, fight, fight.

Schadenfreude on May 23, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Mirimichi on May 23, 2011 at 11:23 PM

4 kids, but it is no one’s business, except theirs, so long as he doesn’t run. That Rs put so much stock and opinions out on it is very alarming, for the republic.

Schadenfreude on May 23, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Even the blind field mice in the WH can see the obvious.

rickyricardo on May 23, 2011 at 11:27 PM

It makes me wonder about his judgement as to why he would take her back.

Mirimichi on May 23, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Like the saying goes, no matter how thin you slice the bread, there’s always two sides.

I wouldn’t have voted for him, but I applaud him putting his family first. I know that I’d never run for office because of a few skeletons from my youth that I’d never want exposed.

TxAnn56 on May 23, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Alls I want to know is . . . does Daniel’s wife have a caboose that would be the envy of the C&O railroad? If not, she’d never be able to replace the current first lady. Well, whatever, now that her husband is out of the race, she can go back to not being proud of this country. /sarc

smellthecoffee on May 23, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Mama said NO!
I don’t give a fig what politico has to say on the matter..you know all those slimy bottomfeeders are going to slobber and drop to their knees for obama anyway. YOU CANNOT PICK OUR CANDIDATE…All those open primaries are going to do that for us. A reverse Operation Chaos, if you will.

HornetSting on May 23, 2011 at 11:34 PM

I know this is way o/t…but i’m really bored with Mitch.

It is truly amazing that incoherence like that of Al Roker could be spread on msnbc (ok, i know, not widely spread…but still). My wife mentioned something like this early to me and I thought to myself…hmmmm, that can’t be true (natch, I didn’t say that)

Anyway, here it is…somehow tornadoes are going into urban areas because of climate change. Really, even the AGW wackos must be a little embarrassed:

r keller on May 23, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Hmm. He acted like the Prodigal Father, and I guess that’s not cool anymore — we live in a new age, where you have to act like the McCourts to get any respect.

unclesmrgol on May 23, 2011 at 11:38 PM

Well, yawn. Think I’ll go and sort my dish towel drawer by color.

cynccook on May 23, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Huh??? You don’t do this by default? I need to re-evaluate my life/

Electrongod on May 23, 2011 at 11:39 PM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on May 23, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Just wait until he endorses Lugar over the Tea Partier in the primary.

SouthernGent on May 23, 2011 at 11:40 PM

I wish Daniels would have ran..But I understand why he did not..:)

Dire Straits on May 23, 2011 at 11:41 PM

I wish Daniels would have ran..But I understand why he did not..:)

Dire Straits on May 23, 2011 at 11:41 PM

He did run. Away. :)

HornetSting on May 23, 2011 at 11:44 PM

He did run. Away. :)

HornetSting on May 23, 2011 at 11:44 PM

LOL Cruel, very cruel……but o so true.:)

P. Monk on May 23, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Wow. How sad. 40 posts, and two of them were attempts to turn it into a Palin post. Meanwhile, over at Sarah’s thread…

John the Libertarian on May 23, 2011 at 11:53 PM

He did run. Away. :)

HornetSting on May 23, 2011 at 11:44 PM

LOL!..Loks like Mitch had family concerns!..:)

Dire Straits on May 23, 2011 at 11:57 PM

John the Libertarian on May 23, 2011 at 11:53 PM

I know.
Two pics on the front page. Both in front of the American flag.
One shows true conservative…while the other works at it.

Electrongod on May 23, 2011 at 11:58 PM

I seem to remember a yes, Yes, YES, and Hell Yeah!

Kini on May 24, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Mitch Daniels is governor of my home state, and most of us in Indiana–myself included–love him as governor. However, I disagree with his decision not to run for the simple reason that the country desperately needs good people to run for high office, especially now, with an incumbent President clearly unable to deal with the economic and foreign policy crises heading our way.

‘Family first’ is fine for a private citizen, but not for someone who would presume to be president–or, for that matter, anyone aspiring to a high office. For people whose actions and decisions affect the lives of millions of their fellow citizens, it must be country first, always. Such people aren’t called public servants for nothing.

And then there’s another element to all this: Obama’s billion-dollar war chest. Imagine you’re a front-runner in the GOP primaries, and then imagine what a billion dollar character assassination looks like. The ruin it could bring to one’s life would make the media attacks on Sarah Palin and her family look like kisses from an angel. Daniels saw this, imagined what it would do to his wife and daughters, and balked at the prospect. Can’t say that I blame him, but it’s decisions like his that allow the bad guys to win.

troyriser_gopftw on May 24, 2011 at 12:10 AM

All those pundits telling us who we’re gonna vote for…..and Trump just gave up his commanding lead….that none saw coming, or going.

Each writer of articles have one vote…….advantage to the readers who don’t read the propaganda.

JayTee on May 24, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Obama’s billion-dollar war chest.

troyriser_gopftw on May 24, 2011 at 12:10 AM

More smoke and mirrors from the mighty Oz. He’s having serious trouble raising money.

John the Libertarian on May 24, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Pawlenty answering a townhall question in Iowa today, a million times better than Obama.

I don’t know why people rag on this guy, he seems pretty good to me.

commodore on May 24, 2011 at 12:18 AM

I don’t know why people rag on this guy, he seems pretty good to me.

commodore on May 24, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Cap and trade flip flop
Ethanol subsidies flip flop
Sharia compliant mortgages
ZZZZZZZZZZZ
Boring. Everyone will fall asleep during the debates

HornetSting on May 24, 2011 at 12:23 AM

troyriser_gopftw on May 24, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Hear! Hear!

equanimous on May 24, 2011 at 12:25 AM

Boring. Everyone will fall asleep during the debates

HornetSting on May 24, 2011 at 12:23 AM

Do they go in alphabetical order? Palin…Pawlenty…
Now that would be fun to watch!

P. Monk on May 24, 2011 at 12:40 AM

I don’t know why people rag on this guy, he seems pretty good to me.

commodore on May 24, 2011 at 12:18 AM

I like him on paper. He just doesn’t inspire me.

John the Libertarian on May 24, 2011 at 12:49 AM

I watched the townhall clip. Sounds good to me. His line about Command and Control was an applause line. Maybe there is hope after all.

Barry of course will mirror whatever our guy says. TPaw will give that speech, and then barry will come out with something that sounds like it to try to muddy the waters. Leftists are always excellent at distraction and diffusion.

Then of course will be the reflexive “too extreme” attacks. Interesting that he is getting a lot of hard questions over his budget stuff. Barry had it so easy, with a loving press and a track record of voting present.

r keller on May 24, 2011 at 12:56 AM

The tramp factor.

John the Libertarian on May 23, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Tell me you’re joking.

Raisedbywolves on May 24, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Palin topic, close to 300 posts.

Daniels….lucky to break 25.

Bishop on May 23, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Quantity =’s quantity? Would you rather see The King’s Speech, The Fighter, The Social Network or Twilight? Bear in mind that Twilight had the highest box office returns so its clearly the better movie.

Raisedbywolves on May 24, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Tell me you’re joking.

Raisedbywolves on May 24, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Yes and no. More to no.

John the Libertarian on May 24, 2011 at 1:18 AM

Raisedbywolves on May 24, 2011 at 1:14 AM

One man one vote.

Quantity (smelly peasants) beats quality (well dressed nobility) in elections.

sharrukin on May 24, 2011 at 1:19 AM

Well it is clear that the pundits hav eno idea of the shi!storm about to hit….

unseen on May 24, 2011 at 1:22 AM

I actually think Daniels would have taken the sting out of the economy for Obama. Neutralized the issue. He was the budget man for Bush… when the current set of problems got their start.

Daniels would have been a mistake.

The grass is always greener.

petunia on May 24, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Then what we need is an exorcist.

FloatingRock on May 24, 2011 at 3:03 AM

“The remaining candidates, in essence, are still running against Mr. Daniels’ ghost.”

WTF?

Don’t you actually have to, I don’t know…generate genuine enthusiasm and interest amongst the base to remain a factor going forward when you don’t run?

SuperCool on May 24, 2011 at 3:16 AM

OC..there is a good chance everbody is on the Palin thread!..Just wanted to give you a heads up!..:)

Dire Straits on May 24, 2011 at 3:24 AM

I think Daniels isn’t running because his internal polling indicates he would fare quite badly. Turns out that the so called “Thought Leaders” aren’t nearly as influential as they thought they were.

FloatingRock on May 24, 2011 at 3:39 AM

OC..there is a good chance everybody is on the Palin thread!..Just wanted to give you a heads up!..:)

Dire Straits on May 24, 2011 at 3:24 AM

Forgive me Kini!..:)

Dire Straits on May 24, 2011 at 4:17 AM

Dire Straits on May 24, 2011 at 3:24 AM

Yep. Saw that…

OmahaConservative on May 24, 2011 at 5:02 AM

The irony here is that people were not grown up enough to understand that Daniels has always been a social conservative. Always. He was a social conservative before it was popular to be one. The point he was making was so simple that people just refused to see it: We are looking at a fiscal emergency that needs to be dealt with sooner rather than later. Everything else is secondary to that. In other words, lawmakers have a duty to put our fiscal house in order before rather than after they deal with other issues.

And then of course there was the whining about how the establishment liked him..then he had to be a bad guy. Never mind the fact that he is overwhelmingly popular in the state he governs. The people of Indiana just don’t count..if Karl Rove likes him or if Dick Lugar says something nice about him then he can not be the real deal. Nonsense.

Daniels did all the things conservatives say they want their leaders to do..and for his trouble he got a lot of half lies and back stabbing from people who are too busy promoting their own favorite to even give the man a chance. I heard Rush yakking about him one day and all I could think is Rush you are more establishment than this guy. Rush spends more time hanging with those people, playing golf with them, etc. Daniels spends a lot of his time riding around Indiana on that harley talking to hoosiers.

Daniels never said he wanted to run, other people just pushed him to do it..so it is no great surprise that he decided not to go forward with this. I don’t blame him for that.

Terrye on May 24, 2011 at 6:37 AM

Other than Columbia J-School types at the NY Times, who’s seeing ghosts?

MNHawk on May 24, 2011 at 6:50 AM

This is exactly what I was talking about…as far as people like this are concerned, if Daniels runs he is wrong..and if he does not run he is wrong. So..what about all the other people not jumping into this field? Are all of them bad candidates too?

Terrye on May 24, 2011 at 6:55 AM

Other than Columbia J-School types at the NY Times, who’s seeing ghosts?

MNHawk on May 24, 2011 at 6:50 AM

I would say a lot of people are…and for good reason.

Terrye on May 24, 2011 at 6:57 AM

Daniels has been a good (not great) governor. Good enough for me to vote for…twice. But too pale pastel for me to support for President. There is a huge gap between good and great. I recognize the difference and good isn’t good enough to reverse the suicidal course we are on. Too many seem to be fixated on throwing someone out there to beat Obama regardless of the direction they will lead the nation. Much too short-sighted.

SKYFOX on May 24, 2011 at 7:02 AM

i want to blame the lsm for all this crapola….they come in like vultures and ravage anyone with an R next to his/her name…forget issues, character assasination is their goal

it’s a shame…