Mitch Daniels passes on 2012 run

posted at 10:00 am on May 22, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

It may go down as one of the more ironic turns on the 2012 campaign trail. The one man who seemed to have the world beating a path to his door, offering to largely pay his tab for fundraising, some essentially begging him to toss his hat in the ring, was the one guy who honestly didn’t want to do it and had good reasons to decline. Mitch Daniels issues his “no thank you” for a presidential run.

Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels told supporters in an email early Sunday that he will not run for president in 2012, a decision he said ultimately came down to his family’s reticence about a campaign.

The announcement by the former Office of Management and Budget director and favorite of much of the Republican establishment will again roil the unsettled GOP field—and likely intensify efforts to convince another major candidate to join the race, such as former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush or New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

The e-mail he sent to supporters was short and polite, but to the point.

“The counsel and encouragement I received from important citizens like you caused me to think very deeply about becoming a national candidate. In the end, I was able to resolve every competing consideration but one, but that, the interests and wishes of my family, is the most important consideration of all. If I have disappointed you, I will always be sorry.”

This will come as a disappointment to a lot of establishment party regulars who seemed to see Mitch as their next best hope. (Though not to the more energized wings of the base who are lining up behind their own favorites, some of whom are seen as more dark horse candidates.) But in the end, it’s pretty hard to argue with the governor’s reasons. Running for President is a draining, 24/7 affair and it affects their entire family, not just the candidate. If his wife and the rest of the Daniels clan were seriously opposed to it before he even got out of the gate, it would drain a lot of the fire out of his belly. (Or that of any potential nominee.)

The exit question, just as it was with the last several high profile departures, is who does this benefit? Will Mitch be endorsing anyone else any time soon or just taking more of a Haley Barbour approach and “support the eventual nominee?” Since he was never officially in the race, which segment of the base is left looking for a home, if any? Honestly, I didn’t see that much buzz about him outside of would-be beltway kingmakers. Call me crazy, but I really don’t think an exit by Daniels shakes up the early stages of the race all that much.

Update (Ed): In the beginning of this cycle, I expected the GOP to nominate a hypercompetent successful executive as the logical contrast to Barack Obama’s inexperienced incompetence.  So who has dropped out of the running early?  Three multi-term governors: Mike Huckabee, Haley Barbour and Mitch Daniels.  If the field doesn’t change after Monday when Tim Pawlenty officially enters the race, that will leave him as the hypercompetent executive choice against Mitt Romney’s money and established inside position.

Of course, the field could change.  Sarah Palin could enter it, which seems more likely than not, and she already has an energized base.  Rick Perry might take notice of the room in the field for multi-term successful governors and for Southern candidates.  Daniels’ withdrawal makes a candidacy from both more attractive.

I’m not terribly surprised that Daniels came to this decision, though.  He didn’t seem terribly enthusiastic about having his family history turned into campaign fodder, and I can’t say as I blame him.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 7

“I don’t care about the freaking Republic Mitchy……when Momma says no, I mean NO

next!!

PappyD61 on May 22, 2011 at 10:04 AM

How I felt this morning when I heard the news…

JetBoy on May 22, 2011 at 10:04 AM

About having his family history turned into campaign fodder targets of every rabid, leftwing, douchebag in America, including 99% of the media.

Bishop on May 22, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Nice enough fellow. Never had a chance in #*!% to win mind you. So it’s just as well. At least he (or his wife) was smart enough to know that.

/hint hint Romney

Irritable Pundit on May 22, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Can you even imagine what the media would do to his wife and kids……….and the questions that they would be asked by the gals on the VIEW?

PappyD61 on May 22, 2011 at 10:06 AM

YES WE CAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Scott P on May 22, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Hearts and minds of all the Roves and Krauthammers can be heard breaking from coast to coast.

singlemalt 18 on May 22, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Yawn.

Philly on May 22, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Just mentioned on Fox News Sunday by Paul Gigot, the WSJ editorial page editor: Jeb Bush.

God help us.

I’m holding out for Rick Perry. I think Perry, Christie and perhaps Ryan would run if they’re drafted.

SlaveDog on May 22, 2011 at 10:09 AM

turns out the red menace he talks about was his Cheri!

joepub on May 22, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Mommy said no

Southernblogger on May 22, 2011 at 10:12 AM

There are knocks against Romney, but executive experience is’t one of them. Romney was a successful founder and executive of a successful private equity firm, chairman of the Olympics, and governor of a hostile state.

If Pawlenty runs as the executive against Romney, he loses.

swamp_yankee on May 22, 2011 at 10:13 AM

YES WE CAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Scott P on May 22, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Not after his disastrous performance on FNS this morning…

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I am also stunned by this. I had hoped Mitch would run and I am certainly not “establishment”. I guess this leaves me with Pawlenty, hoping that Perry gets in.

besser tot als rot on May 22, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Perry needs to get in.

Southernblogger on May 22, 2011 at 10:13 AM

SlaveDog on May 22, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I think a Perry/Ryan ticket would be good…I live in NJ, and I just don’t think Christie is ready yet.

joepub on May 22, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Mitch Daniels, the next President of the United States spokesman for IN-N-OUT Burger.

Emperor Norton on May 22, 2011 at 10:14 AM

If Pawlenty runs as the executive against Romney, he loses.

swamp_yankee on May 22, 2011 at 10:13 AM

If Pawlenty runs as a non-RINO (or less RINO) executive against Romney, he destroys Romney.

besser tot als rot on May 22, 2011 at 10:14 AM

SlaveDog on May 22, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I’m not too keen on this “Save us, Flavor of the Month!!!” stuff. If you have to “draft” someone, you’re going to lose.

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Well, the man who was not socially conservative enough for the social cons backed out because of his family. Family first. Imagine that.

And now we have Herman Cain talking about a 23% national sales tax and the right is fine with that in spite of the fact that all Daniels had to do was an answer a question about the VAT tax and he was vilified.

I guess we will have to leave it up to the voters. I may not be crazy about Romney, but I do have concerns about that sales tax. Imagine what that would do to the price of a car.

Rick Perry might jump in. He is from Texas like Bush, but he has made it plain that he is his own man.

Terrye on May 22, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Not after his disastrous performance on FNS this morning…

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 10:13 AM

WHat happened?

joepub on May 22, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Jindal ’12, ’nuff said.

brogers on May 22, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Perry needs to get in.

Southernblogger on May 22, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I think it’s pretty safe to say that if Perry thinks Palin is going to run, he won’t be running.

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 10:17 AM

This will come as a disappointment to a lot of establishment party regulars

“That’s a shame.”
/Seinfeld

Kent18 on May 22, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Tim Pawlenty must make a significant move in the next week or two to show he is viable assuming he is running for POTUS and not VP.

No Huckabee, no Trump, no Daniels. Time to step up to plate T-Paw.

If he doesn’t make a decent move up the polls soon, he might as well pack it in. He will never have a better opportunity to craft a narrative with the GOP establishment that he is the alternative to Romney.

technopeasant on May 22, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Oh my. Herman Cain needs to get media savvy and fast. That was awful.

anniekc on May 22, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Netanyahu/Hannan 2012

BitterClinger on May 22, 2011 at 10:18 AM

besser tot als rot on May 22, 2011 at 10:14 AM

That’s going to be hard.

“The era of small government is over . . . government has to be more proactive, more aggressive.”

– Tim Pawlenty, 2006.

swamp_yankee on May 22, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Mitch Daniels was one of those empty vessels people poured their hopes into. Has that ever worked out?

Ed: Of course, the field could change. Sarah Palin could enter it, which seems more likely than not, and she already has an energized base.

I’m predicting Ed is a Pawlenty guy. Sarah by her attitude can only improve the primary race. For her, it’s not about her, it’s about defeating Obama and saving the country! Now I’m imagining a Pawlenty v Palin contest. I don’t consider Romney a serious candidate. Two 2 “Ps”, and some peripheral candidates as window dressing, that’s a plenty wide field. GOP nomination is officially the week of 8/27/12. Going to be a long process.

Paul-Cincy on May 22, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Oh my. Herman Cain needs to get media savvy and fast. That was awful.

anniekc on May 22, 2011 at 10:18 AM

And ironically, he IS media.

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 10:19 AM

singlemalt 18 on May 22, 2011 at 10:08 AM

“Is there nowhere, in all the kingdom, even one perfectly creased trouser leg on which we can rest all our hopes and dreams…?”

Kent18 on May 22, 2011 at 10:19 AM

YES WE CAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Scott P on May 22, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Not after his disastrous performance on FNS this morning…

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I missed that…will have to catch up…but Cain did well in that last “debate” as sparse as it was, but when he announced, he came off to me like a televangelist pushing snake oil. Just a total turn-off.

JetBoy on May 22, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Bishop on May 22, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Yup… sad to say she is doing the right thing for her family… even if there is nothing big in their family’s closet to drag out… The scumbags will be defending the One Big Mess with every dirty trick known to man…

RalphyBoy on May 22, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Now I’m imagining a Pawlenty v Palin contest.

Paul-Cincy on May 22, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Oooooh. Not pretty for Pawlenty.

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 10:20 AM

If you have to “draft” someone, you’re going to lose.

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 10:15 AM

This.

Perry is not going to run. Christie is not going to run. Ryan is not going to run. There is no establishment RINO white knight riding to the rescue.

The republican base is in no mood for anyone but a true conservative.

Rebar on May 22, 2011 at 10:20 AM

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 10:17 AM

We have T-Paw, Romney, Huntsman, Cain.That aint gonna cut it.Somebody viable needs to get in.I like T-Paw and Cain but I don’t have confidence they can win.

Southernblogger on May 22, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Declines by email in the middle of the night. What courage!!

I am truly disappointed as the media has constantly told me he was our only hope. Now maybe I should cast my lot to the very much afeared (lets not fight too much) Huntsman. I’ll be a good GOP shill, shut up and let Karl and Charles do the picking. /s

kringeesmom on May 22, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Paul-Cincy on May 22, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Mitch Daniels was yet another ABP candidate. All such will fail.

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Isn’t it nice when the so-called Republican elite feel the need to decide who the best candidate is for us? With the introduction of the Tea Party, it’s like the GOP establishment is trying to overcompensate for their lack of influence (since hardly any of them foresaw the Tea Party as a major force) in politics. Sorry to tell you guys “up there”, but the days of relying on experts is, all but, over.

Daniels was not the one to be president. He’s a wimp like Pawlenty, and just as boring too.

Weebork on May 22, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Mandate Mitt must be happy.

artist on May 22, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I’m not voting for a hypercompetent successful executive who wants to run a Nannystate and continue the path of further eroding our liberty via government bureaucracy.

Still waiting for the person who says they will cut government deeply, and start on the non-entitlement side to show they are serious then by winning confidence by showing that government CAN BE CUT and then head on to entitlement cutting. You need consistency, not hypercompetence. A hypercompetent executive that puts their finger up to keep on testing the polling data won’t get that done… I’ve seen a few of those rolling around and really, and for true, do not want competent management of an authoritarian Nannystate. That is still an evil position to be in, and I will stop voting for the lesser of two evils. If the Nation wants evil leadership, then so be it. I will vote for the best qualified person in my opinion. That would be great if they were also running for office, too…

ajacksonian on May 22, 2011 at 10:22 AM

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 10:15 AM

If we wait for the GOP to work its magic, we’ll end up with the candidate whose turn it is to be “next”.

Bob Dole was “next”. Romney seems to be “next”.

SlaveDog on May 22, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Now I’m imagining a Pawlenty v Palin contest.

Paul-Cincy on May 22, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Imagine if this week, Palin announces she won’t run. (Schadenfreude for me ;))

That would mean all the “rock stars” are out. The remnants are a snooooozefest.

JetBoy on May 22, 2011 at 10:24 AM

This GOP campaign is going nowhere fast. I guess next McCain will decide to run again.

Southernblogger on May 22, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Mitch Daniels was yet another ABP candidate. All such will fail.

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 10:22 AM

True dat. ;)

Kent18 on May 22, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Oh my. Herman Cain needs to get media savvy and fast. That was awful.

anniekc on May 22, 2011 at 10:18 AM

McConnell was much worse IMO. Reminded me of why I hate professional politicians. I am ready for a citizen legislature starting at the top.

kringeesmom on May 22, 2011 at 10:25 AM

How I felt this morning when I heard the news…

JetBoy on May 22, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I was surprised, but not that much. Mainly I was just saddened by it.

MJBrutus on May 22, 2011 at 10:25 AM

The semantics of this post bother me: Daniels would have been the conservative candidate not the establishment candidate.

burt on May 22, 2011 at 10:25 AM

ajacksonian on May 22, 2011 at 10:22 AM

True. Warren Buffett and George Soros would also provide that “hypercompetent” contrast. What is going to be needed to beat Obama is a stark IDEOLOGICAL contrast, not a fatter resume in itself.

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 10:25 AM

I’m kind of happy. So is our choice Romney v Pawlenty? Hopefully Perry will jump in.

Tasha on May 22, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I was surprised, but not that much. Mainly I was just saddened by it.

MJBrutus on May 22, 2011 at 10:25 AM

My eye did water up a little. Well, now what do we do?

JetBoy on May 22, 2011 at 10:26 AM

What gives anyone the idea that Rick Perry is an establishment candidate. Some of you would be wise to check before posting. In the last Governor’s primary in Texas the establishment led by Bush 41 put up Kay Bailey to run against Rick. She was the establishment candidate.

Rick was one of the first Governors to reach out to the Tea Party at the huge rally in Austin.

Rick is conservative but not an establishment member. Bush 41 would have loved for him to be defeated so he couldn’t run against his favorite candidate at the time Romney. Not to mention that Karl Rove has been poised to go to work for Romney although recently things seemed to have changed.

Krauthammer has been a Romney supporter for a long time.

PhiKapMom on May 22, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Declines by email in the middle of the night. What courage!!

kringeesmom on May 22, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Wifey probably kicked him outta the bedroom with an ultimatum ‘You can get back in bed after you decline… I don’t care if you tweet it… No freakin way are you running!’

RalphyBoy on May 22, 2011 at 10:27 AM

I’m sticking with Allen West.

Connie on May 22, 2011 at 10:28 AM

i love how every gop governor is automatically “hypercompetent”.

sesquipedalian on May 22, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Besides, what’s the tangible difference between “competence” and “hypercompetence”? Is that like the difference between “dead” and “utterly and completely dead”? Hypercompetence sounds like one of those words only the elite would say to each other to sound so sophisticated.

Weebork on May 22, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Imagine what that would do to the price of a car.

Terrye on May 22, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Not to worry. You can finance it at 3.9% over six years.

davidk on May 22, 2011 at 10:29 AM

My eye did water up a little. Well, now what do we do?

JetBoy on May 22, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Pull yourself together, man! LOL

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 10:29 AM

I was surprised, but not that much. Mainly I was just saddened by it.

MJBrutus on May 22, 2011 at 10:25 AM

My eye did water up a little. Well, now what do we do?

JetBoy on May 22, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Oh my, whatever shall we do? lol

Don’t worry boys all will be clear in due time…..

Resistance is futile.

You will be assimilated.

Palin 2012.

Brian1972 on May 22, 2011 at 10:29 AM

“Seems” is the operative word. What is evident is that Palin is too smart and too patriotic to expect rank and file Americans to vote for someone who abdicated the toughest job she ever had and then have the arrogance to expect to be trusted with an even tougher job. She certainly must realize that if she wins the primary, it would mean taking so far right, that the indies would never support her and Obama will defeat her in a landslide. His win against Palin would make his win against McCain look like a photo finish.

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Imagine if this week, Palin announces she won’t run. (Schadenfreude for me ;))

JetBoy on May 22, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Ah HA! You DO admit you get joy out of the pain felt by the Palinistas associated with Palin not succeeding. It’s OK. It’s OK. Schadenfreude so noted for future reference.

(how’s that stunned feeling workin’ out for ya?)

Paul-Cincy on May 22, 2011 at 10:31 AM

RalphyBoy on May 22, 2011 at 10:27 AM

just wondering if she feels any remorse that she screwed his chances because of all the baggage they have….

cmsinaz on May 22, 2011 at 10:31 AM

WHat happened?

joepub on May 22, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Just moments after saying the Palestinians should get “nothing” in peace talks, he went on to say that they should have a “Right of Return” to Israel and that Israel has no problem with that.

First of all, the contradiction between “nothing” and “Right of Return” is blatant.

Second, Herman Cain didn’t even know what RoR meant and stared blankly until asking “Right of Return…Right of Return?” Totally inexcusable for a presidential candidate not to know.

Third, once Wallace explained it, Cain totally botched the response. Israel has a HUGE problem with the RoR.

Fourth, Cain didn’t challenge Wallace on his assertion that the Palestinians were “thrown out” in 1948.

Fifth, Cain doubled down on his Afghanistan non-answer. He said he refuses to announce a position until AFTER he is elected President.

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Bob Dole was “next”. Romney seems to be “next”.

SlaveDog on May 22, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Jeb… the ultimate next…

RalphyBoy on May 22, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Obama will defeat her in a landslide.

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I smell fear. It’s palpable. Have you tried a cologne?

Paul-Cincy on May 22, 2011 at 10:32 AM

i love how every gop governor is automatically “hypercompetent”.

sesquipedalian on May 22, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I love how a community organizer cum part-time Senator make them seem so hypercompetent.

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Thank you, Lord.

AH_C on May 22, 2011 at 10:34 AM

My eye did water up a little. Well, now what do we do?

JetBoy on May 22, 2011 at 10:26 AM

We do what we can to make sure we win the Senate and keep the House.

MJBrutus on May 22, 2011 at 10:34 AM

She certainly must realize that if she wins the primary, it would mean taking so far right, that the indies would never support her…

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Wait a second. I thought it was because she abdicated, not because she’s “far right”. And how exactly is Palin “far right”? Anything specific?

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 10:34 AM

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Right of Return is a nonstarter embraced by those who want to destroy Israel. To me it’s code words for “push the Jews into the sea”. Cain didn’t even know what it meant?

Paul-Cincy on May 22, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Paul-Cincy on May 22, 2011 at 10:35 AM

That was pretty pathetic. But he was entertaining.

MJBrutus on May 22, 2011 at 10:35 AM

RalphyBoy on May 22, 2011 at 10:27 AM

And our country is better for it. Last thing we need is a squish.

kringeesmom on May 22, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I’m not terribly surprised that Daniels came to this decision, though. He didn’t seem terribly enthusiastic about having his family history turned into campaign fodder, and I can’t say as I blame him.

Mitch did us a favor. Who really wanted to go into November 2012 trying to support the Cuckold-in-Chief?

After hearing the details of his marriage, I’m glad it ultimately worked out for the family, but I would have had to vote for him with a brown paper bag over my head.

BuckeyeSam on May 22, 2011 at 10:36 AM

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 10:36 AM

And how exactly is Palin “far right”? Anything specific?

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 10:34 AM

“Far right” is Vintage Squish-ese for “Any potential Republican candidate even so much as a single micro-millimeter to the political right of Olympia Snowe.”

Kent18 on May 22, 2011 at 10:38 AM

I was surprised, but not that much. Mainly I was just saddened by it.

MJBrutus on May 22, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Why, you’re going to vote for obaka. Again.

ladyingray on May 22, 2011 at 10:39 AM

(how’s that stunned feeling workin’ out for ya?)

Paul-Cincy on May 22, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Ah HA! what? What would you want, a hug and some sympathy? Ain’t gonna happen. But if Palin gets in, runs, and somehow pulls off the nomination (and given the competition so far, that shouldn’t be too hard even for her) I will actively campaign for and vote for her.

Despite the ‘nistas.

JetBoy on May 22, 2011 at 10:39 AM

How I felt this morning when I heard the news…

JetBoy on May 22, 2011 at 10:04 AM

That did not do much to dispel certain stereotypes.

————————-

Septicpigalien-

If Obama is the standard not too many politicians are not hyper competent.

CWforFreedom on May 22, 2011 at 10:39 AM

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 10:31 AM

How about she simply lay out what her beliefs are, what her policy proposals are, in an honest way and let the people decide on that?

All the issues I have seen her position on are right in line with %50-%80 majorities of Americans.

Nothing “far right” about that.

You might be surprised at just how much the so-called “independents” lean conservative on the issues. If they are asked to think about it, it may surprise many of them as well.

Brian1972 on May 22, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Yeah.

Not ready for prime time.

Rebar on May 22, 2011 at 10:40 AM

So Jetboy, who is your next great RINO hope? I’m thinking the “Fat Man” because Perry is far too conservative for you. Maybe you can bring back Charlie Crist. After all, Nixon became President after losing a state election (although it wasn’t a primary). Then, there’s Lamar Alexander; he’s a RINO who wanted to be President once.

Daniels announcement had to be tough for you and the other members of HA’s RINO Brigade (mjbrutus, csdevon, hollowhead, etc.).

bw222 on May 22, 2011 at 10:40 AM

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Kinda of surprised by that. He’s apparently got a lot to learn, but I think he’s up for the challenge.

I really would like to see someone (H.A., hint hint) put together a list of 100 very specific questions regarding personal beliefs, economy, foreign policy, tax philosophy, etc. and submit to all the GOP candidates for comments.

Answers should be required to be in roughly Twitter lengths, so that they’re super pithy. Maybe then compile them into a poll anonymously, so that anyone could vote for the response they like the best for each question.

By the time you’re done, your results are tabulated, then the candidate’s names are revealed to you. You might be surprised by the candidate that most closely reflects your views, who knows?

Scott P on May 22, 2011 at 10:42 AM

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Cain just said that on Fox News Sunday?

Good grief, we have yet another Implosion Alert!

This will not be good for him.

Brian1972 on May 22, 2011 at 10:43 AM

who is your next great RINO hope?

“Second look at Lisa Murkowski!”
/HA Squish Battalion

Kent18 on May 22, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I still prefer Cain’s position over Obama’s. Cain did continue to say that these are Israel’s issues and Israel is in charge of Israel. Obama just threw them under the bus. While I wouldn’t give the Cain interview a solid A, it was at least a B-. I do hope he puts together a good foreign policy team (and soon).

kringeesmom on May 22, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Good grief, we have yet another Implosion Alert!

Brian1972 on May 22, 2011 at 10:43 AM

LOL, it’s getting to be like a pan of Jiffy Pop.

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 10:44 AM

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 10:25 AM

It is the ideology problem that the GOP has with its old-line elites: they do not want to see that the system they have supported has failed and that it needs a chainsaw haircut.

The ‘next in line’ candidate is a loser system for the Republican Party and needs to be jettisoned. Luckily as more of the local parties are being absorbed by Tea Party members moving in, the elites are finding their old ‘base’ shrinking. Every elite backed Republican is now scrutinized no end to see if they align with the current system that is failing, or are working hard to back a stronger ideological basis that existed before the Progressive era. That doesn’t mean trying to push the Union back into the 19th century, it means understanding that the greatest power of this Nation is not in its military, its economy, its government or even in business: it is in the hands of the American people who MAKE all those things possible. The American people need to be set loose from the onerous and officious bureaucrats who now seek to rule everything, including things they cannot comprehend. The self-governing citizen can do that far better than any bureaucrat.

I don’t want an executive that is good at ‘saving’ failed companies, unless it be via serious ‘downsizing’ and ‘getting rid of’ parts of it to get down to a workable core. Nor do I want a ‘sustainable’ tax base for this current system, as it is horrific in every part and parcel that has been handed to bureaucrats to ruin. Give me a Chainsaw Al, not a smooth talking transnational executive… I will vote for chainsaws over machetes and never vote for the politician with the manure and the pruning shears.

ajacksonian on May 22, 2011 at 10:44 AM

I still prefer Cain’s position over Obama’s.

kringeesmom on May 22, 2011 at 10:44 AM

I say we set the bar a little higher than that.

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I still prefer Cain’s position over Obama’s.

kringeesmom on May 22, 2011 at 10:44 AM

I prefer Palin’s over both of them.

Brian1972 on May 22, 2011 at 10:46 AM

It’s going to come down to the RINOs vs the Tea Party.

Sarah Cain v Mitt Pawlenty.

Make your pick(s).

kevinkristy on May 22, 2011 at 10:46 AM

kringeesmom on May 22, 2011 at 10:44 AM

I didn’t see it, but if the repoirts here are accurate, he’d have to get an F. You CAN’T be that clueless on foreign policy and run for president without being a joke.

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Brian1972 on May 22, 2011 at 10:40 AM

There’s strong public support to stop borrowing money. I.E. to not raise the debt limit. But if you ask it another way, do you want X, Y, and Z cut, there’s strong opposition to that. Opposite positions.

I believe the public when they say stop borrowing money. To close the deal they just need a leader who will lead them. If we keep on Obama’s borrowing of $1.6 trillion per year, we’re going to be screwed in 2, 3, 4 years … maybe we’re already screwed. People know the dangers of debt. We just need someone to lead us out of our deficit spending.

Paul-Cincy on May 22, 2011 at 10:47 AM

That was pretty pathetic. But he was entertaining.

MJBrutus on May 22, 2011 at 10:35 AM

For a second I thought you were talkin bout Daniels…
Never mind.

RalphyBoy on May 22, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Go in peace, Mitch. They would have destroyed your wife with glee.

Guess I have to move to Indiana or Brazil to live in a sane economy.

PattyJ on May 22, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Paul-Cincy on May 22, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I agree.

Brian1972 on May 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM

If Cain’s the kind of guy I think/hope he is, he’ll “man up” and say he made a mistake, and he’ll bring on a respected foreign policy advisor to his time immediately. Anything short of that, and he becomes laughable.

Scott P on May 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Guess I have to move to Indiana or Brazil to live in a sane economy.

PattyJ on May 22, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Brazil’s President is a quasi-Eurosocialist.

Brian1972 on May 22, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Hamlet finally made a choice.

wow I didn’t think he would ever make a choice.

I guess it’s time for the redneck woman

unseen on May 22, 2011 at 10:51 AM

If Cain’s the kind of guy I think/hope he is, he’ll “man up” and say he made a mistake, and he’ll bring on a respected foreign policy advisor to his time TEAM immediately. Anything short of that, and he becomes laughable.

Oops.