Mitch Daniels passes on 2012 run

posted at 10:00 am on May 22, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

It may go down as one of the more ironic turns on the 2012 campaign trail. The one man who seemed to have the world beating a path to his door, offering to largely pay his tab for fundraising, some essentially begging him to toss his hat in the ring, was the one guy who honestly didn’t want to do it and had good reasons to decline. Mitch Daniels issues his “no thank you” for a presidential run.

Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels told supporters in an email early Sunday that he will not run for president in 2012, a decision he said ultimately came down to his family’s reticence about a campaign.

The announcement by the former Office of Management and Budget director and favorite of much of the Republican establishment will again roil the unsettled GOP field—and likely intensify efforts to convince another major candidate to join the race, such as former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush or New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

The e-mail he sent to supporters was short and polite, but to the point.

“The counsel and encouragement I received from important citizens like you caused me to think very deeply about becoming a national candidate. In the end, I was able to resolve every competing consideration but one, but that, the interests and wishes of my family, is the most important consideration of all. If I have disappointed you, I will always be sorry.”

This will come as a disappointment to a lot of establishment party regulars who seemed to see Mitch as their next best hope. (Though not to the more energized wings of the base who are lining up behind their own favorites, some of whom are seen as more dark horse candidates.) But in the end, it’s pretty hard to argue with the governor’s reasons. Running for President is a draining, 24/7 affair and it affects their entire family, not just the candidate. If his wife and the rest of the Daniels clan were seriously opposed to it before he even got out of the gate, it would drain a lot of the fire out of his belly. (Or that of any potential nominee.)

The exit question, just as it was with the last several high profile departures, is who does this benefit? Will Mitch be endorsing anyone else any time soon or just taking more of a Haley Barbour approach and “support the eventual nominee?” Since he was never officially in the race, which segment of the base is left looking for a home, if any? Honestly, I didn’t see that much buzz about him outside of would-be beltway kingmakers. Call me crazy, but I really don’t think an exit by Daniels shakes up the early stages of the race all that much.

Update (Ed): In the beginning of this cycle, I expected the GOP to nominate a hypercompetent successful executive as the logical contrast to Barack Obama’s inexperienced incompetence.  So who has dropped out of the running early?  Three multi-term governors: Mike Huckabee, Haley Barbour and Mitch Daniels.  If the field doesn’t change after Monday when Tim Pawlenty officially enters the race, that will leave him as the hypercompetent executive choice against Mitt Romney’s money and established inside position.

Of course, the field could change.  Sarah Palin could enter it, which seems more likely than not, and she already has an energized base.  Rick Perry might take notice of the room in the field for multi-term successful governors and for Southern candidates.  Daniels’ withdrawal makes a candidacy from both more attractive.

I’m not terribly surprised that Daniels came to this decision, though.  He didn’t seem terribly enthusiastic about having his family history turned into campaign fodder, and I can’t say as I blame him.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

Hey speaking of AnninCA, now in TX I guess. Where did she go?

I think I’ve shared this. I’m a Kaiser baby for over 35 years.

I love it. I’m an expert at knowing how to work that type of system. *haha

I’ll have an advantage over some of you. :)

AnninCA on November 21, 2009 at 1:49 AM

Abusing the system in Texas, done had her fill in CA.

Jerome Horwitz on May 22, 2011 at 6:29 PM

My guy’s in it to win it!

itsnotaboutme on May 22, 2011 at 6:35 PM

I think I’ve shared this. I’m a Kaiser baby for over 35 years.

I love it. I’m an expert at knowing how to work that type of system. *haha

I’ll have an advantage over some of you. :)

AnninCA on November 21, 2009 at 1:49 AM

Abusing the system in Texas, done had her fill in CA.

Jerome Horwitz on May 22, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Wow.
There’s an oldie but goodie. I remember the day she posted that.
Where on earth did you dig that up from?

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 6:37 PM

I love it. I’m an expert at knowing how to work that type of system. *haha

I’ll have an advantage over some of you. :)

AnninCA on November 21, 2009 at 1:49 AM
Abusing the system in Texas, done had her fill in CA.

Jerome Horwitz on May 22, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Guess it does take a lot of time & hard work to game the system.
LEECH.
Gwen Ifill. Now THAT was an impartial journalist!/

Badger40 on May 22, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Why on earth are the libtard-leftist MSM in charge of the Iowa Republican debate????

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Pathetic, right?

I’m guessing that The Des Moines Register is a libtard-leftist news paper. If true, why are they hosting a Republican debate?

P. Monk on May 22, 2011 at 6:40 PM

And when T-Paw chooses Bobby Jindal as his hypercompetent executive running mate, the deck will be stacked against Obamatuer & Jolted Joe.

itsnotaboutme on May 22, 2011 at 6:40 PM

My guy’s in it to win it!

itsnotaboutme on May 22, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Wow…and after the beating you just took?

P. Monk on May 22, 2011 at 6:41 PM

I’m guessing that The Des Moines Register is a libtard-leftist news paper RAG. If true, why are they hosting a Republican debate?

P. Monk on May 22, 2011 at 6:40 PM

They want to *frame* the debate…

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 6:42 PM

They want to *frame* the debate…

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 6:42 PM

LOL…

P. Monk on May 22, 2011 at 6:46 PM

itsnotaboutme on May 22, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Why would Bobby Jindal ever let himself get messed up with someone who would make this quote?

“The era of small government is over . . . government has to be more proactive, more aggressive.”

– Tim Pawlenty, 2006.

P. Monk on May 22, 2011 at 6:49 PM

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Is Judy Woodruff that plastic-botox-faced anorexic elderly-Barbie looking ol’ hagula from CNN?

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 6:50 PM

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Shouldn’t TV personalities be forced to retire when they begin to look too haggard? You know, like they used to do to stewardesses back in the good old days. If my words offend
any haggard old stewardesses, my apologies but flying was much more fun back then.

P.S. If this is ban-able I take back every word. ;)

P. Monk on May 22, 2011 at 6:59 PM

If my words offend

P.S. If this is ban-able I take back every word. ;)

P. Monk on May 22, 2011 at 6:59 PM

LOLZ.

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Maybe we need a dose of Putin. Wake people the he!! up.
Oh crap-I mean:

Main Entry: crap
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: nonsense
Synonyms: baloney, bunk, bunkum, claptrap, drivel, foolishness, hogwash, idiocy, ludicrousness, poppycock, ridiculousness, rigmarole, tomfoolery, twaddle

LOL!
Twaddle!
Wake people the eff up!

Badger40 on May 22, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Putin decides to retake presidency

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Great. This is what happens when we have weak president,
all the Alpha-dogs scramble to fill the void.

P. Monk on May 22, 2011 at 7:06 PM

If my words offend

P.S. If this is ban-able I take back every word. ;)

P. Monk on May 22, 2011 at 6:59 PM

They sure as he!! do dagnabit!
I know some haggard old stewardesses who are very offended.
Bannign offense!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK-smart a$$ mode OFF.
Must. Grill. Food.

Badger40 on May 22, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Putin decides to retake presidency

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Did you ever really think he wasn’t in charge?

darwin-t on May 22, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Must. Grill. Food.

Badger40 on May 22, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Lucky me. ;)

P. Monk on May 22, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Must. Grill. Food.

Badger40 on May 22, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Lucky me. ;)

P. Monk on May 22, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Beaver Tail, anyone?

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Beaver Tail, anyone?

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 7:10 PM

LOL….most definitely.

Had it stew, never had’er grilled.

P. Monk on May 22, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Palin will struggle to crack 40% in a general versus Obama.

However, I do think the Republicans will sweep Congress. Hopefully, the Tea Party will increase it’s numbers in the chambers.

rickyricardo on May 22, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Has a Jazz Shaw thread ever generated 600+ comments before?

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Has anyone else heard that Mitch Daniels passed on a 2012 Presidential run…?

… Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on May 22, 2011 at 7:32 PM

rickyricardo on May 22, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Hmmm….
One troll clocks out and another clocks in.
Perfect.

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Has a Jazz Shaw thread ever generated 600+ comments before?

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 7:16 PM

As my charcoal gets ready, I am blissful knowing I did my part to help make this happen.
*takes a gulp from a black cherry lemonade Mike’s*

Badger40 on May 22, 2011 at 7:43 PM

So are you saying Independents are
(right-leaning to extreme right) voters
??

Of course some of them are, slow one.

nottakingsides on May 22, 2011 at 7:52 PM

*takes a gulp from a black cherry lemonade Mike’s*

Isn’t that a little tart for a person so sweet? ;)
Do you make it yourself? Or is “Mike’s, a brand?

P. Monk on May 22, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Hmmm….
One troll clocks out and another clocks in.
Perfect.

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Of course some of them are, slow one.

nottakingsides on May 22, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Roht Roh. It’s back. Do you think that they maybe working in tandem?

P. Monk on May 22, 2011 at 7:56 PM

My hubby does say I must have been a man in my last life.

Badger40 on May 22, 2011 at 6:14 PM

nottakingsides on May 22, 2011 at 7:56 PM

What a phoney statement coming from someone who has made many postings bashng Palin for the most stupid of reasons. If you actually researched her record in Alaska you would have a good opnion of her (that is if you have the capability of critical thinking). However, you, like some others, are to lazy to do any research.

This next presidential race is about getting rid of socialism that has threatened to take over our country.
If you want this country to be socialist then vote for your choice of liberal or rino idiot. If you want free market principles, conservative capitalism, then vote for the best candidate. However, do your homework.

Amjean on May 22, 2011 at 4:23 PM

For the umpteenth time, the people Sarah must have to win in the general are too lazy to research her record. They will vote on perception only. It is a sad state of affairs, but it is the reality and Sarah must find a way to appeal to the base and still attract the indies. So far as we have seen and every poll bears it out, she is not connecting to those voters. I keep hoping someone will come up with a way to defend her abdication of her governorship without the convoluted explanations about staffers, Alaska law, her possible financial ruin, creating her own lame duck status, then complaining she couldn’t govern as a lame duck, etc, etc, etc. It simply WILL NOT FLY with anyone EXCEPT those whom are already convinced she is legitimate. Anyone she has to convince to even look at her as a possible candidate WILL NOT sit through those explanations. PERIOD.

Additionally, it is unclear why you feel the need to address me as if you know me. I would prefer you deal with the facts and leave your personality out of it.

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Roht Roh. It’s back. Do you think that they maybe working in tandem?

P. Monk on May 22, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Gotta’ be, sharing half a brain each.

nottakingsides on May 22, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Badger40 is a sweetheart and patriot while you are a POS troll…

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 8:25 PM

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Yawn….

idesign on May 22, 2011 at 8:32 PM

My hubby does say I must have been a man in my last life.

Badger40 on May 22, 2011 at 6:14 PM

nottakingsides on May 22, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Cheap shot troll-lady.
Now *that* was a bannable offense.

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 8:36 PM

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Concern duly noted.

Kataklysmic on May 22, 2011 at 8:45 PM

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Concern duly noted.

Kataklysmic on May 22, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Her and rickyricardo get very nervous, very easily by Sarah.
She really gets under some thin skin…

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Yawn….

idesign on May 22, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Cheap shot troll-lady.
Now *that* was a bannable offense.

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Concern duly noted.

Kataklysmic on May 22, 2011 at 8:45 PM

LOL…..The thread that keeps on givin’.

P. Monk on May 22, 2011 at 8:52 PM

LOL…..The thread that keeps on givin’.

P. Monk on May 22, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Lazy Sunday entertainment…
How was that grilled beaver tail?

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 8:55 PM

How was that grilled beaver tail?

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Wow man! Wha’ did I ever do to you?

That is cruel and unusual punishment. LOL

P. Monk on May 22, 2011 at 9:15 PM

That is cruel and unusual punishment. LOL

P. Monk on May 22, 2011 at 9:15 PM

You wound up with the ancient piece of tail…

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 9:19 PM

You wound up with the ancient piece of tail…

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Dried up piece of haggard old buga buga tail and I was in the middle eatin’. Scared the livin’ sh!t outta me not to mention what it did to my appetite.

P. Monk on May 22, 2011 at 9:26 PM

itsnotaboutme on May 22, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Jindal belongs at thetop of the ticket-any ticket-and he’s going to be reelected Gov. of LA in Nov.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 22, 2011 at 9:32 PM

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Tell me that Romney won’t be similarly tarred if he’s the nominee witha straight face.

And how in hell does he get Romneycare out of way? He won’t. Are you saying people who oppose Obamacare by 70% will support who fathered it’s predecessor? Delusional.

If all Sarah’s opponents have to throw at her is the MSM treatment then we are doing pretty good. If you can argue, argue about issues. Otherwise, don’t bother.

promachus on May 22, 2011 at 9:58 PM

One less clown in the circus. 2012 may be less crazy than I originally thought!

Uncle Sams Nephew on May 22, 2011 at 10:16 PM

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 8:22 PM

If she can’t answer the “quitter!” theme effectively, she won’t make it through the primary.

If she can, some of those voters (who “won’t research” according to you) just may hear her points via debates, ads etc.

She may or may not win the primary or the general, if she even runs.

But, IMHO polls well over a year prior to the campaign are about as reliable as my local TV weatherman trying to predict whether it will be raining at 3 PM two weeks from tomorrow. We’ll have to get closer before the probabilities come into clearer focus.

cs89 on May 22, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Seven Percent Solution: “Has anyone else heard that Mitch Daniels passed on a 2012 Presidential run…?”

Not sure.

I heard about some accident prone guy who put his foot in his own mouth repeatedly then walked into a gym door, put sixteen stitches in his head, and decided he wasn’t feeling lucky. If that was this “Mitch Daniels” then Mitch Daniels was right: it wasn’t his lucky year.

David Blue on May 22, 2011 at 11:03 PM

promachus on May 22, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Didn’t you see his announcement last week? He said he didn’t regret Romneycare. He opposes Obamacare because he is a federalist.

That is very concise even though it’s a load of horse crap.

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Now I’m just…apathetic.

JetBoy on May 22, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Let’s snap you out of that. We’ll have a duel on July 29. Georgie’s Alibi? Parking lot. Epee or saber?

katy the mean old lady on May 23, 2011 at 12:02 AM

That is very concise even though it’s a load of horse crap.

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Nobody is gonna buy horsecrap even if its concise. Stop tying yourself into knots.

She has answered the questions effectively. Just because you don’t think so doesn’t change the question. Huntsman and Gingrich running takes off the issue off the table. In the general, even Obama quit his job to get to where he is. He lied as well. It won’t even come up. Even if it does, she just has to point Obama’s hypocrisy.

It’s not an issue to anyone except desperate trolls who cannot attack her on the issues.

promachus on May 23, 2011 at 12:26 AM

She has answered the questions effectively.

promachus on May 23, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Nonsense. Her negatives are through the roof. And she has had 3 years to address the issue and she has made little or no progress with the indies.

csdeven on May 23, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Her and rickyricardo get very nervous, very easily by Sarah.
She really gets under some thin skin…

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Yet you don’t ask yourself why it makes me nervous?

Perhaps it’s because she can’t answer questions with clarity, she’s antional punch line, and her negatives with a large group of Republicans and independents are through the roof.

Don;t let the facts get in the way of your Super Woman fantasies.

rickyricardo on May 23, 2011 at 1:04 AM

Anyone know if Palin is being gifted Kyl’s seat to keep her from running for POTUS?

We really do need a conservative Senate. She would be so much more likely to win that race with far less strain on her family.

Palin would be freer to speak her mind as a Senator, they are suposed to be partisan and noisy. She would be freer to travel around and her family would not be nearly the target it is now.

And she would be building her bonafides for the future!

I could see her running for POTUS from the Senate because she has been a governor… that would be one impressive resume after a term or two as a Senator.

It could completely overcome some of the problems she has now. And make her the allies she needs.

But dang, I wanted Jeff Flake!

Oh well I have no control anyway…

petunia on May 23, 2011 at 1:10 AM

Her media-generated negatives are through the roof.

csdeven on May 23, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Clarity, please.

John the Libertarian on May 23, 2011 at 1:22 AM

So, Mitch as confirmed that British Style Socialist Tabloid tactics against family members of candidates works.

Egfrow on May 23, 2011 at 1:25 AM

petunia on May 23, 2011 at 1:10 AM

No. That’s not happening.

alwaysfiredup on May 23, 2011 at 1:35 AM

I’m glad Daniels decided against running for POTUS, but I don’t think his political career is over. Might he consider opposing Lugar for the US Senate seat? Less addlepated than Dinosaur Dick but still a bit too squishy for my tastes. Still, if he’s the Senate candidate, I’ll vote for him over any Democrat. I can make that compromise for one of one-hundred, but not for President.

SKYFOX on May 23, 2011 at 7:18 AM

As a senator Mitch Daniels makes sense.

As a Presidential candidate I think he was always just Tim Pawlenty but accident prone and with worse hair. So his getting out of T-Paw’s way is a good thing.

David Blue on May 23, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Clarity, please.

John the Libertarian on May 23, 2011 at 1:22 AM

1) Fair or no, the media is generating it.
2) The media will not suddenly do a 180 and tell the truth.
3) She has had an open mic to present her case for 3 years.
4) She has made little or no progress in those 3 years.

Question: Exactly what media outlet will present the facts about her and is watched by the people who she must sway in order to beat Obama?

csdeven on May 23, 2011 at 8:09 AM

About T-Paw

First, he’s an unknown outside of the Northeast Corridor.

Second, he’s about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Other than that, he’s got a great shot at being nominated.

kingsjester on May 23, 2011 at 8:18 AM

I’m not terribly surprised that Daniels came to this decision, though. He didn’t seem terribly enthusiastic about having his family history turned into campaign fodder, and I can’t say as I blame him.

And that is what is wrong with “establishment politics.”

To nasty for a serious family man with any kind of dirt (which is nearly everyone,) in their past. And too dirty for anyone that has morals.

Keith_Indy on May 23, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Why would anyone be glad that Mitch Daniels is not running for the GOP nomination.
Here is my list.
Too short.
Not enough hair.
Marrage problems years ago.
Other long time conservitives like him.

TomLawler on May 23, 2011 at 9:32 AM

csdeven on May 23, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Here is a better question: She is currently behind in polls not only for the national election, but also for the republican nomination. If, as you say, it is impossible for her to move up in the polls, then it is thereby impossible for her to win the Republican nomination since Romney currently leads her.

That being the case why do you spam every thread with 71 posts about how she quit and no one will ever vote for her? If she’s no threat to win either the nomination or the general, isn’t this a big waste of time for you?

Kataklysmic on May 23, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Here is my list.
Too short.
Not enough hair.
Marrage problems years ago.
Other long time conservitives like him.

TomLawler on May 23, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Here is my list:

Foot-in-mouth disease
Other long time conservitives Republicans who claim to be conservative but who actually brought us “compassionate conservatism” and dramatically grew the size of government like him are pushing him extremely hard, probably so they can continue to have some control over the white house.

Kataklysmic on May 23, 2011 at 10:17 AM

So are you saying Independents are
(right-leaning to extreme right) voters
??
Of course some of them are, slow one.
nottakingsides on May 22, 2011 at 7:52 PM

One question answered.
Thank you.
Now how ’bout the others?

Isn’t that a little tart for a person so sweet? ;)
Do you make it yourself? Or is “Mike’s, a brand?
P. Monk on May 22, 2011 at 7:52 PM

If I had another bathtub I’d make something of my own!
That Mike’s is good stuff! ;)

My hubby does say I must have been a man in my last life.
Badger40 on May 22, 2011 at 6:14 PM
nottakingsides on May 22, 2011 at 7:56 PM

See? There ya go.
I knew the nastiness would come out.
Notice, I have more guts & ba!!$ than you do.

Badger40 on May 23, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Kataklysmic on May 23, 2011 at 10:12 AM

No, the question I asked actually addresses the assertions by her supporters that all we have to do is nominate her and then she will have the opportunity to speak to the American people. So my question still stands:

And an additional question: How exactly is responding to her supporters considered spam? I respond to what her supporters say or some other relevant comment concerning her candidacy. It is also baffling that you continually inject your personality into the debate.

csdeven on May 23, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Probably none when it’s just left to them to editorialize. (ditto for any Republican) However, there are still going to be many people who don’t like her, based solely on the MSM created caricature of her, who will get to hear her in her own words during interviews and debates and realize they have been sold a bill of goods.

How exactly is responding to her supporters considered spam?

Responding to her supporters isn’t what I would consider spam. Making the same point countless times in countless threads (the point about how she “abdicated” her governorship and won’t be able to satisfactorily explain why in a 15 second soundbite) is what I would consider spam.

csdeven on May 23, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Does beginning numerous posts with “HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA” count as injecting one’s personality into the debate?

Kataklysmic on May 23, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Kataklysmic on May 23, 2011 at 11:14 AM

And really, this $hit is getting really old.
The reasons have been explained.
Take it or effing leave it Palin haters.
Every argument I’ve seen against this point is really lame & stupid.
She had her reasons & lots of people understand them.
For those that don’t, tough $hit & go somewhere else for your perfect candidate.
Let’s sort it out in the primaries.

Badger40 on May 23, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Here is my list:

Foot-in-mouth disease

Kataklysmic on May 23, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Foot and mouth disease?
About what?
Just post here to tell everyone why daniels and all other conservitives and/or republicans are not fit to serve as POTUS.

TomLawler on May 23, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Abdication is not a created caricature. She actually did that. That is a serious event and will be questioned. Exactly how much patience will people have in the political atmosphere? I ask you to remember how long it takes you to explain her resignation and to answer the follow up questions that your initial explanations raise. Folks are tired of slick politicians with convoluted pasts. And they don’t subscribe to conspiracy theories. It appears to most people that there is some vast conspiracy being perpetrated on her. Trying to explain that never turns out well.

The 15 second sound bite and snappy slogans are a staple of politics. And if a candidate isn’t careful, they will end up with a “I am not a witch” moment. I am waiting for a realistic scenario from her supporters that addresses the abdication issue etc.

But what I get are people injecting their personalities into it by leveling personal insults and name calling.

csdeven on May 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Badger40 on May 23, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Is that what Sarah is going to say to the people who have yet to be convinced that she is authentic?

If she were to give that response, it would be a hat tip to her already convinced supporters. Simply a way to fire up the base. But alienating the indies? No way does she do that! She would be better off slamming Obama and not the voters.

csdeven on May 23, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Foot and mouth disease?
About what?

Examples of foot-in-mouth disease:

-His suggestion of a truce on social issues. I don’t believe they are more important than fiscal issues at this moment, but I also believe that we can walk and chew gum at the same time. Daniels, after further reflection, must agree with me because he signed a bill defunding Planned Parenthood in Indiana a few weeks ago.

-His suggestion of a VAT tax. To assume the Democrats would accept a VAT in lieu of ALL other taxation (the only way it could work) is the very height of naivete.

-”I am probably not ready to debate Obama on foreign policy”. That type of aw shucks delf deprecation might wash in the midwest but it is suicide in a nationwide election against the most arrogant, aggressive campaigner in history who plans to raise a billion dollars (which will be spent exclusively on smearing the nominee since he can’t run on his record)

Just to name a few…

TomLawler on May 23, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Thank you for your permission by the way, and I will. New here?

Kataklysmic on May 23, 2011 at 12:03 PM

csdeven on May 23, 2011 at 11:47 AM

I’m not saying she should say that at all.
I am the one saying it.
Only so much a$$kissing & careful stepping is going to convince ‘Indies’ of what is right or wrong.
If they don’t know by now, they’ll never be convinced.
Sarah isn’t going to speak everything she’s thinking.
I speak what I’m thinking bcs I’m not running for office.
I come up against many people in person that I particularly loathe, but I usually don’t tell them bcs what is the point?
I am speaking this to all those out there that cannot think for themselves, but keep whining about the same old crap.
If you do not like Sarah, then please bring out your own perfect candidate for us to slobber over.
If you do not have one & refuse to support her, then let the primaries sort it out.
No matter who wins the GOP nomination, I’ll probably vote for them bcs 4 more years of BO is worse than just about anything I can imagine.

Badger40 on May 23, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Listen, you have been round and round with myself and many other commenters about this. We don’t need to go over it again. The reason why some have lost patience with you is because it appears that you don’t really believe what you are saying. Your style strongly hints of shilling for another candidate by tearing town who you percieve to be his competition. Criticizing candidates when you have stated who you support is accepted because your agenda is known and people can filter your remarks accordingly. To mask those intentions as “just asking questions” is the very definition of concern trolling.

Bottom line: you don’t think she can win. Her supporters do. There is nothing left to say about it.

csdeven on May 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Nice to know “rabid irrational cultist Palinistas” isn’t considered a personal insult or name calling.

Here is some more “personality” for you: if you insist on continuing to post the same thing over and over on each thread, this should come in handy:

Main Entry: abdicate
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: give up a right, position, or power
Synonyms: abandon, abjure, abnegate, bag it, bail out, cede, demit, drop, forgo, give up, leave, leave high and dry, leave holding the bag, leave in the lurch, opt out, quit, quitclaim, relinquish, renounce, resign, retire, sell out, step down, surrender, vacate, waive, withdraw, yield

Kataklysmic on May 23, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I’m not saying she should say that at all.
I am the one saying it.

Badger40 on May 23, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Then that is a mistake if you want to help your candidate.

csdeven on May 23, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Bottom line: Her supporters do. There is nothing left to say about it.

Kataklysmic on May 23, 2011 at 12:16 PM

So you’re not going to talk about Sarah any longer?

csdeven on May 23, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Personally I hope that Sarah Palin stays out of the GOP nomination thing.

I’d like to see her run third party.

I really want to see the GOP and all the Palin-haters attempt to take the White House with the baggage of RomneyCare. I want to see them attack ObamaCare while they defend RomneyCare.

That is a comedy that I want to see!

HondaV65 on May 23, 2011 at 2:26 PM

So you’re not going to talk about Sarah any longer?

csdeven on May 23, 2011 at 2:25 PM

There is nothing left to say about Sarah to you.

Kataklysmic on May 23, 2011 at 2:28 PM

There is nothing left to say about Sarah to you.

Kataklysmic on May 23, 2011 at 2:28 PM

What is that supposed to mean?

csdeven on May 23, 2011 at 4:57 PM