Quotes of the day

posted at 9:00 pm on May 21, 2011 by Allahpundit

“Some leading Republicans are trying to entice a more established candidate to jump into the presidential race, a courtship that’s aggravating tensions between tea partyers and the GOP’s traditional business wing, a deep-pocketed source of financial support in the campaign…

“The behind-the-scenes efforts have been taken as a snub by some tea party organizers who favor the anti-establishment messages of Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, businessman Herman Cain and Texas Rep. Ron Paul, who are in the race or are considering it. New contenders could undermine their chances for donors and for success…

“We’re trying to lead the big money with the small money, and they won’t let it,” said [Connecticut tea party leader Bob] MacGuffie, who helped coordinate confrontational town hall meetings with members of Congress in 2009 about federal health care legislation…

“Joan Fabiano, a tea party leader in the Lansing, Mich., area, weighed in about Bachmann and the other more confrontational candidates. ‘The establishment believes they aren’t controllable. And that’s a big problem with us,’ she said.”

***
“Tea Party favorite Herman Cain announced his long-shot presidential candidacy to a raucous crowd in Atlanta Saturday, yelling, ‘I’m running for president of the United States and I’m not running for second.’…

“‘Let me tell you some of the reasons why I’m running for president of the United States. We have become a nation of crises,’ he said, citing morals, the economy, entitlement spending, immigration and foreign affairs as among the crises facing the nation.

“‘And we’ve got a deficiency of leadership crisis in the White House,’ he said to roaring cheers.”

***
“Americans know that ‘solving for x’ simply means using the right formula. What’s that formula, you might ask? Working on the right problems. Asking the right questions. Removing barriers to success. Surrounding yourself with the right people.

“This is my ‘common sense’ approach to real leadership. This approach is coupled with a steadfast belief that politics should never compromise principles. And my principles are rooted in the Constitutional guarantees of limited government and individual freedom.

“I believe in a strong military and clear foreign policy that ensures the safety of our country. I believe in lower taxes, less regulation and private sector job creation that ensures the economic stability of our country. And I believe in the moral foundation upon which this nation was based and continues to make Her strong, independent and free.”

***

***
Via the Right Scoop.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I think you exaggerate JUST a wee bit.

There was only one person…well two if you include Huck, …that I would NEVER vote for and that was Trump.
Otherwise, If Romney is the candidate, I’ll be really pissed off but hold my nose, with the others I’ll just cross my fingers.

tencole on May 22, 2011 at 3:45 AM

I’m not exaggerating at all. If anything, I was being conservative, even if it doesn’t apply to you personally.

I’ve read at least a dozen comments on HA from Palinistas (and not from one or two commenters) who very explicity claimed that they’d either vote Obama or sit the election out rather than Romney, Huckabee, and others who do not happen to be unelectable Alaskans.

I don’t recall ever reading a single comment that suggested they’d sit out the election or vote Obama if Palin was nominated. Suggestions that she’d be a near guaranteed loss? Many, and for good reason.

Could it be that out of the thousands of comments there was one who was that opposed to Palin? Maybe, but the number pales in comparision to similar sentiments by the delusional “lose at all costs” St. Sarah worshippers.

Hollowpoint on May 22, 2011 at 3:54 AM

I know right where this is at. It’s within walking distance of the best golf course in AZ and 5 min away from a fantastic steak house (Mastro’s). Definitely the neighborhood to live in if you are in the PHX area.

Kataklysmic on May 22, 2011 at 3:36 AM

Based on the map, it looks very close to Cave Creek and Carefree. When did that start to be considered “north Scottsdale”? I used to own a home near 35th avenue and greenway in NW Phoenix. At the time I built it, I asked my builder how big I could go and not pay more than $200 per month for air conditioning. I got about 1339 square feet. That was back when the rates were around 10 cents (1987). Can you imagine the cost to cool 8000 square feet? Zowie.

Based on the research I did for that house, I think it was bank owned and someone bought it last year and put some bucks into it. Previous pictures didn’t have the full wall around the property, no grass, no pool, no pool house, no front, paved courtyard, etc. I imagine they made a nice profit fixing it up and it looks move in ready based on those pictures.

karenhasfreedom on May 22, 2011 at 4:14 AM

Hollowpoint on May 22, 2011 at 3:54 AM

Come on…..you don’t think they really meant it do ya?
When push comes to shove, they’ll vote against Obama.

tencole on May 22, 2011 at 4:22 AM

NO matter what, Obama can NOT be re-elected. SCOTUS depends on it!!!!!!!!

karenhasfreedom on May 22, 2011 at 4:25 AM

karenhasfreedom on May 22, 2011 at 4:14 AM

Zowie is right….obviously Sarah is not used to air conditioning.
Maybe they’re just renting?…what will they do with that monstrosity when the election is over?

tencole on May 22, 2011 at 4:26 AM

Here is a link to 25 pictures of the new house rumored to have been purchased by the Palin’s this week:

karenhasfreedom on May 22, 2011 at 3:15 AM

That is a nice house. I’ll be moving my residence status from Maryland to AZ this year. Only for the drivers license and voting though. I still live overseas. Anyway, nice to know the Palin’s will have some nice digs in the lower 48.

Dongemaharu on May 22, 2011 at 4:29 AM

karenhasfreedom on May 22, 2011 at 4:14 AM

Yeah, looking at the pics, whoever did the flip put some serious cash into it. It is flawless and looks to be a bargain at 1.7 mil, especially for that area. To keep 8000 sq ft at 74 degrees in July and August, depending on how well it’s insulated…well, your monthly power bill is going to have a comma in it, lets put it that way…

That area started to be considered N Scottsdale around the time the Troon North golfcourse went in.

Kataklysmic on May 22, 2011 at 4:29 AM

Kataklysmic on May 22, 2011 at 4:29 AM

Tell me…..why do you need 3 fireplaces in a place like Scottsdale Arizona?…just asking.

tencole on May 22, 2011 at 4:38 AM

tencole on May 22, 2011 at 4:38 AM

Dec-Feb can be pretty chilly. I have owned homes here with fireplaces and we used them. It’s not always scorching here (thank goodness).

Kataklysmic on May 22, 2011 at 4:42 AM

Kataklysmic on May 22, 2011 at 4:42 AM

I live in northern Illinois and we don’t use our fireplace all the time….it gets bitter cold around here.
With Sarah coming from Alaska…..I can’t imagine that it would get cold enough there for her to use a fireplace…..she might even keep the windows open. ;)

tencole on May 22, 2011 at 4:47 AM

tencole on May 22, 2011 at 4:47 AM

You’re probably right. Growing up in Alaska, we would be outside in shorts and t-shirts when it was 30 degrees. I spent some time in Taiwan and Hawaii before moving to AZ though and that thinned my blood right out.

Kataklysmic on May 22, 2011 at 4:49 AM

NO matter what, Obama can NOT be re-elected. SCOTUS depends on it!!!!!!!!

karenhasfreedom on May 22, 2011 at 4:25 AM

So do your children, grandchildren, 401k, guns and so much more.

Schadenfreude on May 22, 2011 at 5:04 AM

So do your children, grandchildren, 401k, guns and so much more.

Schadenfreude on May 22, 2011 at 5:04 AM

Actually…our country’s whole future is a stake. As overly dramatic as that sounds it true.
If Obama gets another term, this country that we know and love, will be unrecognizable.

tencole on May 22, 2011 at 5:17 AM

Don’t hate Palin I just think she can’t win. We need to
settle for Tim Paw or Huntsman or Mitt Romney will steal the nomination from us.

TimeTraveler on May 22, 2011 at 2:22 AM

The fighting instinct of sheep.

powerpro on May 22, 2011 at 6:23 AM

ANYONE but 0bama…

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 6:48 AM

A good indication of what the US will look like after a second Obama term, just picture Detroit. That’s the final outcome of Socialism.

adamsmith on May 22, 2011 at 7:29 AM

Yes, but it doesn’t play well in the media if you’re shouting at kids while doing it. Maybe Herman needs a voice coach, or something.

steebo77 on May 21, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhah!~!!!!!!!!

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Palin said tonight that the USa is now on the wrong side IRT to Israel thanks to the TEMPORARY Leader Obama. said the only way to get back on the right side is to vote his butt out of office and called for the american people to rise up and refute this WH’s insane policiy IRTs to Isreal.

unseen on May 21, 2011 at 9:58 PM

So what? This isn’t a Palin thread.

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Cannot wait for the Chris Wallace show with Cain as a guest…
Wonder who will comprise the panel this week?

OmahaConservative on May 22, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Well then he should’ve tried again until he won.

pseudoforce on May 21, 2011 at 10:54 PM

As opposed to what? Getting elected and then abdicating?

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 8:27 AM

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 8:27 AM

This isn’t a Palin thread.

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Then, why are you posting about Palin?…

Gohawgs on May 22, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhah!~!!!!!!!!

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 8:12 AM

If that’s how you laugh in real life, you could probably use a voice coach, too.

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Wow, Herman Cain doesn’t know what the Palestinian “Right of Return” is…

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 9:12 AM

And he’s doubling down on the Afghanistan non-answer…

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Don’t think too hard about the Palin’s buying a house in AZ. A lot of people who live in cold country also have a 2nd place in warm country. There’s a bigger airport there, tho, so if someone were to say run for public office, they’d have an easier time gettin’ round.

Kissmygrits on May 22, 2011 at 9:14 AM

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha!!!!!

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Well then he should’ve tried again until he won.

pseudoforce on May 21, 2011 at 10:54 PM

As opposed to what? Getting elected and then abdicating?

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Yeah, exactly.

pseudoforce on May 22, 2011 at 9:26 AM

My take.

kingsjester on May 22, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Cain botched a couple of important foreign policy questions on Fox News Sunday.

When asked about whether or not Palestinians should have the “Right of Return,” he stared blankly for a few seconds, then had to ask “Right of Return?” He showed that beyond sound bites and slogans, he has almost no familiarity with the issues at play in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

He also doubled down on his non-answer to Afghanistan, saying that he wouldn’t articulate a position until after he was elected President but before he was inaugurated.

Furthermore, on economic issues, he was vague as ever. Until prompted by Chris Wallace, he did not mention debt or deficits. As usual, the economic plan he articulated consisted entirely of implementing a (currently unconstitutional) national sales tax while simultaneously cutting other taxes.

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 9:29 AM

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 9:19 AM

You do get that my original comment about a voice coach was sarcasm, right?

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 9:29 AM

CAIN/PALIN

White out the MC from last go-’round’s signs and save a bundle!

honsy on May 22, 2011 at 9:32 AM

So do your children, grandchildren, 401k, guns and so much more.

Schadenfreude on May 22, 2011 at 5:04 AM

Everything depends on it. We may be past the point of no return already; another 4 years of Obama and our nation will never recover. Period.

Uncle Sams Nephew on May 22, 2011 at 9:36 AM

And he’s doubling down on the Afghanistan non-answer…

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Of all of the promises that Obama made about the Afghan/Iraq/Gitmo. How many did he keep?? How long did he take to make a decision on Afghanistan once he was presient?

kringeesmom on May 22, 2011 at 9:36 AM

‘Not controllable” means they haven’t sold their principles in the usual sellout compromises necessary to acheive favor with the establisment puppet masters.

Take a ticket Herman, Sarah,Michelle, and don’t ever dare jump the line again!

This is precisely the problem. The GOP and the entire washington ruling class are “uncontrollable by the citizenry - that which is the rightful process in running this once great nation

Don L on May 22, 2011 at 9:38 AM

How long did he take to make a decision on Afghanistan once he was presient?

kringeesmom on May 22, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Too long. Which would tend to support the idea that clarity and forthrightness on the issue are called for in the primary and general election campaigns.

If Cain has any chance, he has to take an actual position on Afghanistan. He has to be able to discuss the history of the engagement under the two previous Presidents. He has to at least have SOMETHING to say about it. His non-answer can’t cut it for long, but he’s already defended it so many times, I don’t think he’s ever going to say anything different.

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Palin has also been mentioned as a possible candidate for the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by Senator Jon Kyl.

via national journal

i’d be ok with that if she doesn’t run for prez :)

cmsinaz on May 22, 2011 at 9:41 AM

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 9:41 AM

he better get crackin’…we can’t have another squish running for office

cmsinaz on May 22, 2011 at 9:43 AM

“The candidate for president who best stands the chance of earning the gadfly-with-breakout-potential trophy is Herman Cain,” John says.

Maybe. On Fox News Sunday this morning, however, Cain imitated Sarah Palin’s blank stare when Chris Wallace asked him about the right of return. “The right of return?” he said. After Wallace explained the Palestinian demand to return to the homes they were “thrown out of” [sic!] in 1948, Cain said that would be negotiated between the Israelis and Palestinians. “I don’t think Israel has any problem with Palestinians’ returning,” he said.

Even though Cain had told Wallace just a few moments before that he would offer the Palestinians “nothing,” because he is not convinced they are committed to peace and democracy, his cluelessness on the right of return suggests that Cain is more blowhard than gadfly.

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 9:46 AM

“I don’t think Israel has any problem with Palestinians’ returning,” he said.

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 9:46 AM

ruh roh

cmsinaz on May 22, 2011 at 9:47 AM

I understand just what Sarah Palin means when she says, “I like Herman Cain, even hearing his name.” I’m one of the many people who had never given a moment’s thought to Herman Cain before the first GOP debate, but who came away thinking, “Goodness, he’s likable.”

But alas, I don’t think he’s ready to be president. Since we’re talking clueless comments about Israel, here’s one that should really make people think:

I feel a bit crushed, actually. I like him and want so much to like someone. But that’s too clueless.

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Yeah that’s very frustrating, it seems like every candidate is letting me down. Cone on Herman, how hard is it to get a briefing on the major foreign policy issues and have a general position?

I guess it’s Pawlenty.

commodore on May 22, 2011 at 9:56 AM

thanks for the linkies steebo

cmsinaz on May 22, 2011 at 9:57 AM

thanks for the linkies steebo

cmsinaz on May 22, 2011 at 9:57 AM

You bet. Also:

Herman Cain: I’d offer Palestinians ‘nothing’ in peace deal

(Nothing, that is, except for the Right of Return!)

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 10:00 AM

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 10:00 AM

*sigh*

cmsinaz on May 22, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Well, it was nice knowing you… that “Right of Return?” clip is going to be played over and over and over. Deservedly so, I’m afraid. I like you, HC, and even sent you money but that was not good and you’re going to have to do better than that performance. Jesus, man… if you can’t get it right on FOX News, then fugeddaboutit.

princetrumpet on May 22, 2011 at 10:06 AM

The right of return is considered to be an ambit claim by the Israeli government. An exaggerated demand meant to be the basis for negotiations. I don’t normally quote wiki, but for what it is worth, it sounds like the Israelis will consider the right of return as a negotiating point.

The government of Israel regards the claim as a Palestinian ambit claim, and does not view the admission of Palestinian refugees to their former homes in Israel as a right, but rather as a political claim to be resolved as part of a final peace settlement

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 10:23 AM

I know the right of return was a cringy thang.
He’ll have to get a bit better @ explaining that the US does NOT dictate anything in this conflict… Then it might not have such a negative aspect to it.
As for no Afghan plans, I actually respect that better than point-blank declaring something, then finding out that ‘Presidentin’s hard’, once facts on the ground dictate that you, oh, idunno … Keep gitmo open, etc etc.

pambi on May 22, 2011 at 10:28 AM

The right of return for 900,000 Palestinians is up for negotiation? How about the 850,000 Jews who were forced out of Arab lands from Morocco to Iran in 1948-49 and were resettled in Israel WITHOUT any UN assistance? Any compensation for them?

honsy on May 22, 2011 at 10:33 AM

I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if Will voted Obama over Palin. I have certainly seen Daniels supporters on this site claim that they would.
Kataklysmic on May 22, 2011 at 2:21 AM
Show me one. Just one.
For every one you find- if any- I’ll show you five Palin supporters who said they’d either sit out the election or vote for Obama over a different Republican candidate.
Hollowpoint on May 22, 2011 at 3:35 AM

Haha

From the piehole of hollowhead

Good turfing bro

Sonosam on May 22, 2011 at 10:35 AM

honsy on May 22, 2011 at 10:33 AM

of course not

when dealing with morally bankrupt muzzy monkeys one must ignore the obvious

like the obvious aggressive killing and driving out of other superior races and religions from their supposed lands

they foul other countries and will not intergrate making them no more than an opposing army

of course it sure isn’t an open society in their monkey warrens where if you are other than a muzzy your life could be measured in days

nope, they sheet up their lands and force their cancer on superior societies with territorial aquisition as the goal

fight hard Israel and drive the beasts to the far reaches

They only offer death

Sonosam on May 22, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Any compensation for them?

honsy on May 22, 2011 at 10:33 AM

A negotiating point to be sure.

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Had me before the Dylan Thomas line.
Do not go gentle into that good night….
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Open The Door on May 22, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Trump, part II.

albill on May 22, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Wow, Herman Cain doesn’t know what the Palestinian “Right of Return” is…

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 9:12 AM

And he’s doubling down on the Afghanistan non-answer…

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 9:13 AM

I was up all night, on this very site, pointing this very fact out to the Cain supporters…..all I can say is
I.TOLD.YOU.SO!

tencole on May 22, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I.TOLD.YOU.SO!

tencole on May 22, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Is this the same Cain mentioned in the Cain/Palin ticket I’ve seen posted?

Uncle Sams Nephew on May 22, 2011 at 12:44 PM

kringeesmom on May 22, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Good gravy…..Because Obama is a terrible CinC, that makes Cains ignorance on basic foreign policy okay?
Setting your standards pretty low.

tencole on May 22, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Setting your standards pretty low.

tencole on May 22, 2011 at 12:49 PM

So our choices are lousy, how very observant of you.

Uncle Sams Nephew on May 22, 2011 at 12:50 PM

honsy on May 22, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Far more than 900,000. The United Nations has a unique definition for palestinian ‘refugees’, and only for ‘palestinians’, such that it includes all successive generations.

That’s such a loose definition that the ‘palestinians’ could stretch it to many millions. Enough to take over Israel, which is the objective. Think about the Pigford definition of a ‘farmer’ and apply it to ‘palestinian’.

slickwillie2001 on May 22, 2011 at 1:44 PM

So I just saw Cain’s interview for the first time. It can be summarized in 2 little words, oy vey!

Can this man really be so ignorant about the one issue that the Pallies have never and will never budge on? Can he possibly not know that Israel can never agree to a Pally “right of return” as it would mean their destruction by a wave of Pallies who would simply take the country over? Does he not know that this one issue is and has been the impassable roadblock to peace that moots every other consideration? I don’t expect him to be an expert on foreign policy, but oy vey!

MJBrutus on May 22, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Nonsense, Cain gave a perfectly good answer.

slickwillie2001 on May 22, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Nonsense, Cain gave a perfectly good answer.

slickwillie2001 on May 22, 2011 at 2:27 PM

You mean, “right of return?” I’m sure that Stewart, Leno, Letterman, Fallon, O’Brien and the rest are all digging that answer too. You’re meshugina!

MJBrutus on May 22, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Cain’s problem may just be that he has not had to endure the kinds of specific questions about policy that become normal during a presidential race. He may not have a seasoned foreign policy advisor to brief him on these matters either. This is what can and does happen to people who have not been operating within the political realm as a candidate at this level before.

If Cain is smart he will immediately issue a correction on the Right of Return, and develop a policy on Afghanistan. He must understand that as a CEO in the private sector, one can focus on decision-making process, and this approach is expected and normal in the corporate environment. But in the political environment, the expectation is that you have concrete policy positions; decision-making process is a subordinate matter which is hardly addressed. This is the usual problem with a candidate who has a strong business background, and great success in the private sector, but little political experience.

In short, Cain’s lack of political seasoning was exposed in an important interview. He may be able to recover, but he needs to act quickly to do so. He needs to be all over the airwaves tomorrow issuing corrections; and he needs to obtain a top tier foreign policy advisor as soon as possible, if he does not have one on staff.

SheetAnchor on May 22, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Wow, Herman Cain doesn’t know what the Palestinian “Right of Return” is…

steebo77 on May 22, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Ummm… the two “r”s in that term are capitalized only in the case of Palestinian Jews. Otherwise they are lower case.

unclesmrgol on May 22, 2011 at 5:13 PM

And Over and Out.

profitsbeard on May 22, 2011 at 5:28 PM

This was an unnecessary swipe at Palin, and a dishonest one too.

Even some in the media were willing to concede that there was no singular “Bush Doctrine”, as Gibson was trying to imply while he looked down at her from his all-knowing perch.

The “right of return” however, is not ambiguous. Even I know what that’s about.

Especially after Friday, when the Israeli Prime Minister schooled our President on that very topic, among others.

powerpro on May 22, 2011 at 5:58 PM

This was an unnecessary swipe at Palin, and a dishonest one too. Even some in the media were willing to concede that there was no singular “Bush Doctrine”, as Gibson was trying to imply while he looked down at her from his all-knowing perch

Right you are.

SheetAnchor on May 22, 2011 at 6:32 PM

I just watched the Wallace interview.
Cain would not be intimidated by his attacks.
He had a solid response that “it is up to Israel.”

HERMAN CAIN still rocks.

balkanmom on May 22, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Setting your standards pretty low.

tencole on May 22, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Yeah. That’s going around a lot. Especially with many of the Palin supporters.

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Yeah. That’s going around a lot. Especially with many of the Palin supporters.

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Actually, if facts meant anything to you at all, she’s been consistently on target on both domestic and international issues.

powerpro on May 22, 2011 at 9:04 PM

It already is after 3 years.

Heard just 10 minutes of Cain with Chris Wallace and I was ready to cast my vote! With a bit more listening he may have some positions I cannot support, but for now, he’s my man.

katablog.com on May 22, 2011 at 10:19 PM

powerpro on May 22, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Actually, that is only your opinion.

csdeven on May 22, 2011 at 11:52 PM