Michael Steele to MSNBC? The Rapture is surely upon us.

posted at 10:15 am on May 21, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

In a story which will surely have some readers even more convinced that the end days are upon us, The Hill is reporting that former RNC chair Michael Steele is in talks to take a gig with MSNBC.

Former Republican National Committee (RNC) Chairman Michael Steele is in negotiations with MSNBC to be a political analyst, according to sources.

Steele would be a prominent Republican voice on a network known for its liberal television hosts. If the deal goes through, he would join the cable network in time to offer commentary on the 2012 elections.

I know that a lot of the base had their issues with Steele during his tenure as RNC chair, but I’ll confess that I’ve always liked the guy. I didn’t particularly care for the way he wound up being the story while serving as chairman, a position I tend to think of as being better served by acting behind the scenes. But out of the office he’s a smart guy who remains active in political reform efforts. Plus, it certainly wouldn’t hurt MSNBC to get a bit more variety in their lineup, as Bryan Preston points out at PJM.

For all the knocks on his time at the RNC, Steele is very smart and is infinitely more talented and interesting than Ed Schultz or anyone else on MSNBC. He’s certainly less predictable. And he could add a little color to an otherwise blandly monochrome host line-up on that channel.

(Let’s all agree to just give Bryan a pass on the “add a little color” quip, shall we?)

The few times I’ve met Steele I found him to sharp and engaging with a good presence that carries over well on television. Further, he has that rare ability among politicos to not take himself too seriously. After Jon Stewart did a blistering series of bits toward the end of Steele’s term using a neo-hip hop puppet in his place for interviews, he went back on the show and sat down for a very polite, good natured interview.

Sadly, the article indicates that Steele would be an “analyst” for MSNBC if he signs on, similar to the role Pat Buchanan fills for them, meaning that he would show up at various times to comment rather than having his own show as a regular host. That’s a shame, since Joe Scarborough is currently the only watchable “opinion” show on the network, and they could really gain some credibility – at least with the center – by adding him as a regular in the schedule.

Comments

Another reason for me to not tune in to PMSLSD…

OmahaConservative on May 21, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Well, he could do little damage. If a tree falls in the woods, and there’s nobody……

Marcus on May 21, 2011 at 10:23 AM

MSNBC has received sooooo much criticism for their lack of diversity it was inevitable they’d be out tossing money around looking for a black guy.

Tim Zank on May 21, 2011 at 10:25 AM

OUCH…

RalphyBoy on May 21, 2011 at 10:26 AM

That’s a shame… they could really gain some credibility – at least with the center – by adding him as a regular in the schedule.

A shame? Screw msnbc. I think Steele is great for TV, but msnbc will use him to appear more balanced, not to actually be more balanced.

cartooner on May 21, 2011 at 10:27 AM

I wish MSNBC would take Dick Morris.

Marcus on May 21, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Naturally, they seek out a squishy RINO to represent their token conservative. Kind of like The View hiring that dim witted Hassel-something woman to brilliantly argue against liberal-socialism.

keep the change on May 21, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Why? It was a subtle poke about MSNBC’s lily-white lineup that they took a drubbing for when they tried and failed to smear the Tea Partiers. I thought it was great sarcasm.

Dusty on May 21, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I don’t care much, one way or the other, but good luck to Steele. It will be mostly up to him to be successful at it, or not. I blame no man for wanting to earn a living.

Weebork on May 21, 2011 at 10:36 AM

-So Mike, do you agree that the GOP convention resembles a Nazi party rally from 1939?

“Yeah, sure *head nodding* I suppose it does.”

-Well there you go, prominent Republican Michael Steele thinks the GOP are Nazis.

Bishop on May 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Hey Jazz,

Other than you helping Allah hold the fort while Ed was on vacation, I’ve been seeing more of your posts on the front page. Is this going to be a regular thing?

Weebork on May 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Steele would be a prominent Republican

Really, what has MSNBC seen in this gut that I missed? The way he ran the RNC you would have thought he was paid by the Democrats. An inept network is the perfect place for a bungler traitor like him.

Tommy_G on May 21, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Who could have seen this coming. Duh! Me!!

NickDeringer on May 21, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I’ve disagreed with Steele, but think he will fit right in at MSNBC. Still no chance in hell I’d waste my time watching that network.

Angry Dumbo on May 21, 2011 at 10:41 AM

“gut should be “guy”, not wearing my glasses this morning.

Tommy_G on May 21, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Steele, who has very little credibility, to MSNBC which has zero credibility. A perfect match I’d say.

GFW on May 21, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Not. Surprising. At. All.

Good luck, Mr. Steele.

You’re gonna need it.

turfmann on May 21, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Wow…now they will have someone almost as conservative as Joe Scarborough.

NeoKong on May 21, 2011 at 10:50 AM

MSNBC stands for “Michael Steele, New Black Commentator.”

Emperor Norton on May 21, 2011 at 10:53 AM

In 2013 they can draft Obama!

Key West Reader on May 21, 2011 at 10:56 AM

MSNBC stands for “Michael Steele, New Black Commentator.”

Emperor Norton on May 21, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Winner!

Key West Reader on May 21, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Intellectually he’ll fit right in.

darwin-t on May 21, 2011 at 10:58 AM

I can’t help thinking that Mark Levin’s recent screed about NBC and MSNBC being “Blindingly white” is directly behind this hire.

Let’s go look at NBC News. A very, very white guy is in charge of the company that owns NBC News. NBC News is run by very, very white guys. “Meet the Press” has only had white guys in the anchor chair. “NBC Nightly News” – a white guy. Let’s look at their bastard off-child, MSLSD: Chris Matthews – the whitest of the white guys, Joe Scarborough – white, Ed Schultz – fat and white, Larry O’Donnell – mental patient and white, Rachel, what is her name anyway, Maddow – white. It’s so white over there I’m blinded.

Jokes such as the following, haven’t helped either:

In radio days NBC set up a red network and the blue network. Now, in satellite days, they’ve continued that tradition by setting up the white networks.

Winners for the NBC Networks new theme song and motto contest have recently announced. They are “Dixie” and “Yes, we Klan!”.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on May 21, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Steele and Madcow should co-host a show.

disa on May 21, 2011 at 11:00 AM

They say stupid things at MSNBC, so he will fit right in.

Hummer53 on May 21, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Hey Jazz,

Weebork on May 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Ed mentioned this a few weeks ago. Several of the Green Room folks have been given permanent (afaik) main-page privileges.

gh on May 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Steele will be their token conservative Black guy.

itsnotaboutme on May 21, 2011 at 11:10 AM

thought the headline read “The Rapper”….

oops.

ted c on May 21, 2011 at 11:11 AM

MSNBC stands for “Michael Steele, New Black Commentator.”

Emperor Norton on May 21, 2011 at 10:53 AM

And, this thread’s over…

Fallon on May 21, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Token black, token conservative, token sane person.

I hope the pay is good, at least.

Rebar on May 21, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I like Steele. He is far from perfect but so is everybody else.He really missed a chance to restore a little sanity, when he went crawling to Rush after stating the truth that he was just an entertainer.

Southernblogger on May 21, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Jazz said:

I’m shocked, shocked….

jnelchef on May 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Lightweight. Roger Ailes wasn’t interested.

rrpjr on May 21, 2011 at 11:49 AM

keep the change on May 21, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Baba Wawa can’t deal with any woman more intelligent than she is, and that’s a pretty low bar. Coulter should be in that spot, like that’s going to happen.

slickwillie2001 on May 21, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Methinks we are about to see the real Michael Steele.

Christian Conservative on May 21, 2011 at 12:08 PM

I guess that means he will be doing tonights 6PM news show.

percysunshine on May 21, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Nothing but a media whore…

PatriotRider on May 21, 2011 at 12:33 PM

When it comes to the rapture. It will be right around the corner if the Mavericks somehow win the NBA champinship too!

jeffn21 on May 21, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Heard Steele recently (on CSPAN?) trashing the GOP again.

You know the drill: Of course the GOP is racist, but I am bravely trying to show these crackers the light.

mockmook on May 21, 2011 at 1:00 PM

They needed another clown. He’s PC too.

Next they’ll claim “balance” because “he’s Republican”.

Meh, let them have a party, all who work there. No one sane watches.

Schadenfreude on May 21, 2011 at 1:10 PM

I guess that means Ed Schultz is no longer the voice of “African Americans”.

mizflame98 on May 21, 2011 at 1:11 PM

MSNBC? I’d sooner trust my local mugger. I suspect that when and if a black man (Cain or West)shows up on the GOP ticket to counter Obama’s attraction with the black community and the guilty white (Shelby Steele -thank you)liberal community, Steele will be the left’s tool to tell the real black position on matters. I trust him not.

Remember a 10% swing in the black community might very well change the election to the right.

Don L on May 21, 2011 at 1:20 PM

What a shock- MSNBC hires a Republican who has a penchant for friendly fire.
I guess MSNBC is going to be a loss leader for Comcast, too.

jjshaka on May 21, 2011 at 2:41 PM

one of dem chickens goin on home to ROOST……..

GOOD RIDDANCE.

RealMc on May 21, 2011 at 3:10 PM

One of dem chickens goin home to ROOST

GOOD RIDDANCE

RealMc on May 21, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Now he can ignore it when Matthews calls conservatives Nazis. Morning Joe II.

Axeman on May 21, 2011 at 3:31 PM

What required a pass? Steele is black. MSNBC is Wonder-bread white. Are you so skittish around black people that you think walking on egg shells should take the place of facts? MSNBC is racist; say it.

Ronnie on May 21, 2011 at 4:19 PM

They threw in one of Chris Matthews’ towels and the drool bucket that Olbermann left behind.

Oh, and Rachel Maddow agreed to loan her electric razor to him anytime, and Joe Scarbarro is thrilled that with Steele there, they can form a face foursome to go golfing.

TiminPhx on May 21, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Well, you have to take it in small steps, you know. Today a non-white analyst, perhaps tomorrow a non-white anchor! Who knows what breakthroughs in progressive thought they may yet champion! Lean forward, MSNBC…

You might miss fouling your shoes that way.

drunyan8315 on May 21, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Translates to: “Oh please, PLEASE like me, you hip progressive elites. PLEASE! I want to be invited to the parties too!”

bofh on May 21, 2011 at 8:19 PM

It will be a mistake for Mr. Steele to sign on with such a far left org.. He won’t lend credibility to msnbc rather, he’ll lose his own…

Gohawgs on May 21, 2011 at 10:58 PM

I hope he charges them extra if they want to change his name to “Token” like the kid in South Park . . .

Adjoran on May 22, 2011 at 6:34 AM

Remember Steele is more of a rino than a conservative. He bashed the GOP in front of black audiences (everytime) for not having enough blacks in the party(uh, his job BTW). He did this during a time when the GOP had more black canditates than the democrats could dream of, step back in time:

and he lost those opportunities to do his job – convince those blacks in the audiences that the GOP is the party of liberty not the dems (hellooo, how’s that war on poverty working out for them).

Here’s more background:

I wanted Michael Steele to head the GOP at the time until I knew Ken Blackwell was running – he should have been the winner not Steele. Steele is all about Steele and no one else, he left the GOP in debt too while he was writing a book and being paid for speeches. Time wasted for the GOP. Oh, and 2010 still a huge victory for us. In 2012 the will of the people will be heard again.

Herman Cain 2012