McDonald’s CEO to food police: The clown’s going nowhere

posted at 6:40 pm on May 20, 2011 by Allahpundit

He drew the line. Right over Ronald’s floppy red shoes.

McDonald’s Corp. CEO Jim Skinner came out swinging Thursday when asked about Ronald McDonald and whether the burger chain hooks children with junk food…

“We believe in the democratic process and our government officials believe in the democratic process,” he said to applause from the audience of McDonald’s shareholders. “This is about choice, this is about personal, individual right to choose in the society we live in. That’s where we play, that’s where you play, and we have every right to do so.”

Skinner also got applause when he called Ronald, the burger chain’s smiling spokesclown, “an ambassador for good” and noted that he is the face of Ronald McDonald House Charities.

“He does not advertise unhealthy food to children,” Skinner said. “We provide many choices that fit with the balanced, active lifestyle. It is up to them to choose and their parents to choose, and it is their responsibility to do so.”

A shareholder resolution that would have required the company to study the financial impact of defending its meals for kids got just six percent of the vote, which is almost a death blow to the “ban Ronald” movement. I say “almost” because there’s a crucial detail buried in the Journal’s report about this, a detail that makes McDonald’s and the “ban Ronald” crowd somehow look equally dopey.

Turns out America hates Ronald McDonald:

“Ronald is recognized by more than 99% of U.S. consumers. Clearly, that’s his strength,” says Chris Anderson, communications director for The Marketing Arm. “Of course, just because consumers know someone doesn’t mean they like them or trust them.”

When it comes to likeability, Ronald McDonald ranks No. 2,109 out of more than 2,800 celebrities in the agency’s index, scoring in the same neighborhood as actor David Spade and NFL quarterback Vince Young, and behind Mickey Mouse, Shrek and Cap ‘n Crunch.

Mollie Kerr, an 11-year-old sixth grader from a suburb of New York City, has strong opinions on Ronald McDonald. For starters, she says, he lacks authenticity.

“It’s very fake, the whole, like, all his commercials, where he’s jumping up and down, where he’s always happy. You know that no one’s always happy. It’s silly,” she says. “We have, like problems, we have earthquakes and tornadoes, we have money problems and financial problems. But in Ronald McDonald World, we have no problems, it’s just happy all the time.”

If you’re wondering why you tend not to see him in ads anymore, there you go. If you’re also wondering why the “ban Ronald” crowd would be obsessed with him then, I have no answers for you. Two points, though. One: If America’s 11-year-olds have reached the point where they can’t enjoy a clown because he’s not socially conscious enough, then I’m actually okay with this Rapture thing tonight. Two: What could have happened to Ronald’s brand to put him in the same tier of likeability as an SNL alum whose comic niche is fast-talking snottiness? Is Ronald at least more highly rated than, say, Rob Schneider? Note to Jim Skinner: If your corporate mascot has a favorable rating roughly on par with Joe Dirt’s, you’ve gone very, very wrong.

Here’s Neil Cavuto and some food-cop nanny yelling at each other about Ronald on yesterday’s show. Exit question: Time for McD’s to replace Ronald with the Hamburglar, maybe? Or is his criminality too much for the sensitive, civically-minded modern 11-year-old to handle?

Comments

Back off slowly and leave the clown alone.

GrannyDee on May 20, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Now there’s a kid who has been allowed to grow up too quickly.

Oh and the clown is a bit creepy but to think he is the reason kids are fat or even eat at MickDs is just silly.

CWforFreedom on May 20, 2011 at 6:46 PM

The clown’s going nowhere.

I think we have some strong contenders who could take him out this year! What? Oh, you meant… sorry.

sharrukin on May 20, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Note to Ms. Kerr. You are 11. You are supposed to live in magical happy world. What has happened to make you so jaded? Is it the fact that your parents gave you an obnoxious name and made you live in New York?

Vera on May 20, 2011 at 6:49 PM

The snark is coming fast and furious tonight. Might as well enjoy it while we can.

Slublog on May 20, 2011 at 6:50 PM

One of our problems is people having decided that “like” needs to be overused.

amerpundit on May 20, 2011 at 6:51 PM

They be McHatin’…

JetBoy on May 20, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Ronald can make a comeback. Hell a clown won our last Presidential election.

CWforFreedom on May 20, 2011 at 6:52 PM

All clowns are freaky (we all float down here..). But Ole RMcD
ain’t so bad. He’s Americana at it’s finest. I’m glad Mickey D’s is telling these nanny state beyotchez where to go.

bernzright777 on May 20, 2011 at 6:54 PM

A lot less creepy than the braying jackass of Communism of the Democrat Party.

The Burger King identity took a sharp dive when they gave him / it the creepy shades, overall swishiness and immobile facial features. Creepy in a “drives slowly past schools whilst leering” sort of way.

viking01 on May 20, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Ah, the logic of a know it all 11 year olds. Cavuto’s guest likens Mikey as some drug dealer on the street.

It’s people like this guy that will destroy what freedoms we have left. We have a congress that listen’s to this happy meal nutcase into forcing the government to regulate personal responsibility.

I’m sure it’s written in Ocare somewhere.

Kini on May 20, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Darkness, death, pessimism and despair — that’s over at Burger King, isn’t it?

Cicero43 on May 20, 2011 at 6:56 PM

We need to go back to the days where mom’s cooking was the only thing that made a kid fat.

GoodBoy on May 20, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Wasn’t he in KISS?

melchitt on May 20, 2011 at 6:56 PM

They be McHatin’…

JetBoy on May 20, 2011 at 6:51 PM

They see him McRollin’, they be McHatin’.

Mary in LA on May 20, 2011 at 6:56 PM

I’m glad Mickey D’s is telling these nanny state beyotchez where to go.

bernzright777 on May 20, 2011 at 6:54 PM

To be fair it was not the state-yet- that took issue with the clown but yes I am glad they told the do-gooders to shove it.

CWforFreedom on May 20, 2011 at 6:56 PM

I have to admit, I’m only rooting for Ronald M. because he’s pissing off a bunch of do-gooders. If there was no controversy and McDonalds decided to just retire the guy, I don’t think I’d care one bit. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. So, Ronald McDonald is my friend. Other than that, I prefer the flame-broiled yumminess of The Whopper. But, the Burger King dude is wayyyyyyyyy too creepy. Staring in windows with that scary frozen expression on his face. Ugh. Whoever came up with that one should be put up against a wall and shot.

joejm65 on May 20, 2011 at 6:57 PM

The bit about the Ronald McDonald House Charities was the first thing I thought of when I read the original post on here about the call to get rid of him. Just how did CAI expect McD’s to keep the charity intact without him? Oh well, I guess it’s something they never felt the need to consider. Real world consequences aren’t their business.

Mark V. on May 20, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Exit answer: Grimace

Poor kid, bet her parents are liberals.

rbj on May 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Vera on May 20, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Don’t get her started on the damn Happy Meals… she’s constantly begging her parents to leave the right-wing hell that is New York City for a better place like San Francisco.

malclave on May 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM

joejm65 on May 20, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Anybody besides me miss Bob’s Big Boy? He of the checkered overalls and unrepentant spare tire?

Mary in LA on May 20, 2011 at 6:59 PM

What is this responsibility of which you speak?

I want the gub’mit to tell my kids no so I can be their friend.

BacaDog on May 20, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Is the Hamburglar any more criminal than Mayor McCheese, who padded his pension fund to get extra fries?

malclave on May 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Gird your loins Ronald. There will be a full frontal assault by the “nutritionists”, nanny-staters, and the bloated tyrannical federal bureaucracy.

The Community Organizer and Chief and his minions will bully, cajole and threaten until McDonald’s capitulates.

DeathB4Tyranny on May 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM

They’d probably be more successful if they went after the BK King. That dude is C-R-E-E-P-Y!

rw on May 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM

ha!
Allahp-this is a great post!

bridgetown on May 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM

So clowns are not supposed to be happy. Invasion of the child brain eaters liberal education edition.

canditaylor68 on May 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM

I like David Spade.

di butler on May 20, 2011 at 7:04 PM

AP, you can still turn a phrase. …Even after all of the feminine rejection you’ve suffered all these years.

BacaDog on May 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM

They should run ads of Ronald and the entire gang making ‘nah nah!’ faces at the government goons.

Uncle Sams Nephew on May 20, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Stop and think about what has happened in this country over the past 70-years. We are rapidly turning into a Euro-style bankrupt, socialist state. The governmet has moved way too agressively into our daily lives. Now they want to tell companies what sort of mascots are appropriate????

We are as upside down as mortgages in way too many regions of this country. Planned economies always fail. Even China has brand new ghost towns, after spending billions to create cities with no people to populate them!!! Don’t worry about the Chinese econmy overtaking us, they too will implode!

tomshup on May 20, 2011 at 7:08 PM

A

Mary in LA on May 20, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Hellz yeah I miss him!, What was his demise anyway, more doo-gooderness?

bernzright777 on May 20, 2011 at 7:08 PM

“If America’s 11-year-olds have reached the point where they can’t enjoy a clown because he’s not socially conscious enough, then I’m actually okay with this Rapture thing tonight…”

I guess you missed the Mom giving her 8 year old daughter Botox shots to the face the other day…

… See you at the Rapture party.

Seven Percent Solution on May 20, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Isn’t Hamburglar the thug Union Boss and Mayor McCheese the Daley Gang family representative? Grimace grimaces because he used to be McHitman before the Untouchables finally got him to go state’s evidence. Now he does counseling at Hamburger University.

viking01 on May 20, 2011 at 7:09 PM

I’d say kudos to Ronald, but McDonald’s supports hamburger on hamburger action, so I’m indifferent on its stance.

madmonkphotog on May 20, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Cavuto has a good point. This is an effort to shutdown Mickey D’s and pin childhood obesity on the clown’s food.

Where do people like this happy meal stop? Burger King, Wendy’s, Zippy’s, L$L, it just won’t end.

What about Play Station, and those other electronic games that keep you rooted to the couch? Everything, but personal responsibility is considered fattening. Shouldn’t there be a government regulation for the whiny?

Kini on May 20, 2011 at 7:10 PM

McDonalds should just update the clown’s image, make it edgy, with lo-rider pants, tee shirt an’ all. Give him a new name… R-Mac. Have him cut a couple of gangsta rap songs, with lyrics about ho’s and biches and poppin’ cops.

The controversy will disappear in no time at all, and the clown opponents will move on down the line to another chain, like the guy named Jack who lives in a Box.

TXUS on May 20, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Stand by your man.

Funny.

and it is their responsibility to do so.”

Money quote.

davidk on May 20, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Clowns scare the heck out of me, but Ronald McDonald doesn’t scare me.

ladyingray on May 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM

McDonald’s Corp. CEO says ‘Supersize THIS!’.

BHO Jonestown on May 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM

He should have been a write in candidate in the last presidential election.

Dhuka on May 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM

We could have Michelle Obama put on some silly clothes and a fright wig and….uh…..nevermind, been done (daily).

Tim_CA on May 20, 2011 at 7:13 PM

To be a democrat today, you have to believe:

Too many kids are too fat and eat unhealthy foods. Blame McDonalds, not the parents.

Too many kids don’t/won’t perform well in school. Blame the parents, not the teachers.

In other words, democrats believe that whichever argument supports government controls without assuming government responsibility is the right one.

Note also, that while we voluntarily pay for the goods and services at McDonalds, we are forced to pay for the non-responsible performance of the government schools.

LooseCannon on May 20, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Yeah, really. If we’re still here by tomorrow I’m going in the garage, closing the door, and running the car.

The big sleep.

Cynical 11-year olds are a bit much to take.

SteveMG on May 20, 2011 at 7:15 PM

First they killed Speedee, then they came for Ronald…

unclesmrgol on May 20, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Ronald McDonald is too happy? What do they want him to say in a commercial, “Eat here, don’t eat here, whatever. I don’t care.” Do they want a depressed Ronald talking about all of the world’s problems? Why can’t people just leave other people alone and let us eat our Big Macs in peace?!

Lizzy on May 20, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Q. What could have happened to Ronald’s brand to put him in the same tier of likeability as an SNL alum whose comic niche is fast-talking snottiness?

A. They tasted the food.

Slowburn on May 20, 2011 at 7:16 PM

canditaylor68 on May 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM

I hate to say this but I suspect that little Mollie Killjoy is likely not invited to too many parties.

CWforFreedom on May 20, 2011 at 7:16 PM

The fascistic anti-McDonalds crowd should consider a spokesman that’s less jowly.

theperfecteconomist on May 20, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Cynical 11-year olds are a bit much to take.

SteveMG on May 20, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Good point. If they become the majority of kids we are done.

CWforFreedom on May 20, 2011 at 7:17 PM

The doom and gloom Mollie “To hell with Santa Claus and screw the g-d Tooth Fairy” Kerr kid sounds like she’s itching to run an Obamacare Death Panel someday…. with all the warmth and sensitivity of Elsa Klebb in From Russia with Love.

viking01 on May 20, 2011 at 7:18 PM

I’ve never been a fan of the clown, but this goes way past that. This is about freedoms, and choices. This government is going way off the map with their regulations, and rules. Enough already.

If you want a dictatorship, then come out with it, and let America decide. But something tells me, they already know what Americans would decide.

capejasmine on May 20, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Exit answer: Grimace

Poor kid, bet her parents are liberals.

rbj on May 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Grimace perpetuates the negative racial sterotype that purple individuals are overweight and unintellgent. Definitely a no-go.

WisCon on May 20, 2011 at 7:24 PM

The kid is 11, the clown isn’t intended for an 11 year old. My 11 year old thinks the clown is for children, my 13 year old thinks all clowns are. 5 years ago he loved dancing to his get fit commercials and answering his questions out loud. When I read this yesterday I was amazed that they would even ask an 11 year old.

She wants him to wear skinny jeans and better styled, wtf? Rich pretentious little t………………….

LifeTrek on May 20, 2011 at 7:25 PM

re replacing Ronald with the Hamburglar……..

It’d never happen, the only people doing the robbing are our elected officials; they’d never welcome the competition.

RealMc on May 20, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Clowns scare the heck out of me, but Ronald McDonald doesn’t scare me.

ladyingray on May 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM

They you never saw Willard Scott as Ronald McDonald.

Tommy_G on May 20, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Poor kid, bet her parents are liberals.

rbj on May 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I’d bet big money.

CWforFreedom on May 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Glad someone mentioned the creepiness of Willard Scott way back when as R Mc-D. In the various still photos I’ve seen of him in that character he always looked like someone who wandered in from under the overpass.

viking01 on May 20, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Nah, if they were – at least hard-core – she’d have blamed global warming and Bush for everything.

JEM on May 20, 2011 at 7:37 PM

With the world ending tonight, I require a pureed McRib, fries, and Dr. Pepper in my bottle. And Scarlett Johannson to feed it to me. I’ll just go change into my jammies now.

See what I did there? Three comments combined into one.

Mr. Wednesday Night on May 20, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I’m lovin’ it…

golfmann on May 20, 2011 at 7:39 PM

That kid is a typical New York whiny liberal.

Philly on May 20, 2011 at 7:39 PM

I like David Spade.

di butler on May 20, 2011 at 7:04 PM

UGH….

ladyingray on May 20, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Poor kid, bet her parents are liberals.

rbj on May 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I’d bet big money.

CWforFreedom on May 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM

I’ll wager the kid probably gets a nutritional printout on every tray of festive wheat grass juice and exciting falafel her parents Strobe and Cosmic slide in front of her each morning before heading off to their flag burning jobs at the ACLU.

viking01 on May 20, 2011 at 7:43 PM

How come a fatso is telling a restaurant what to sell?

John the Libertarian on May 20, 2011 at 7:47 PM

@viking01 on May 20, 2011 at 7:43 PM

reading my mind……

RealMc on May 20, 2011 at 7:49 PM

I don’t have any great love for Ronnie M. He just reminds me too much of Pennywise the Clown from Stephen King’s ‘It’, which then reminds me that Tim Curry played the clown with a more colorful costume than the one he wore in Rocky Horror, which then reminds me … Wait, what was the question?

sirnapsalot on May 20, 2011 at 7:51 PM

I wish Cavoto had asked food police John Banzhaf that if he’s so concerned about eating right… then why the hell is he so obese! What a BIG hypocrite that professor is.

centre on May 20, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Ronald! Ronald!
He’s our Man.
Si se puede
Yes we can!

Caststeel on May 20, 2011 at 8:01 PM

First they killed Speedee, then they came for Ronald…

Nah… First it was the Frito Bandito.

Mary in LA on May 20, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Hellz yeah I miss him!, What was his demise anyway, more doo-gooderness?

In my neck of the woods, Bob’s Big Boy was purchased by Shoney’s. They became Shoney’s Big Boy with the same guy in the checkered pants as the logo. It took a few years of hard work, but eventually Shoney’s made the delicious Big Boy practically inedible. Go figure. Apparently they did not buy the entire chain as I would still find a Bob’s occasionally while traveling.

Hazzard on May 20, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Hellz yeah I miss him!, What was his demise anyway, more doo-gooderness?

bernzright777 on May 20, 2011 at 7:08 PM

His picture is still on the menu, and the comic book “Adventures of Big Boy” is still apparently in publication (thank you, Wikipedia!), but back in the ’90s most of the remaining bob’s Big Boy restaurants got rid of the larger-than-life Big Boy statue out front, riding the wave of health nannyism.

Mary in LA on May 20, 2011 at 8:10 PM

All you SOB’s who supported the attacks on the cigarette companies a decade ago brought this on.

Some of us tried to tell you that then.

HondaV65 on May 20, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Anybody besides me miss Bob’s Big Boy?

Mary in LA on May 20, 2011 at 6:59 PM

He’s right down the street from me — the original restaurant. Bob’s there, spare tire and all, and every Friday night the parking lot is full of antique cars from the 50s. It’s pretty cool.

John the Libertarian on May 20, 2011 at 8:15 PM

I’m more concerned about that 11 year old kid than anything else in this piece.

Why in the world should an 11 year old be so serious about life.

Enjoy childhood for heaven’s sake. This kid will have plenty of time to worry about tornadoes and money problems once they’re an adult.

ButterflyDragon on May 20, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Let’s face it, Micky D’s has been total crap since they re-formulated the french fries. The old fries were the only good thing about that place.

trigon on May 20, 2011 at 8:30 PM

John the Libertarian on May 20, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Cool! Perfect spot for a SoCal Hot Air meetup… those who are left after 11pm tonight, that is! :-)
(Most of Los Angeles would be left behind in any rapture event, I’m pretty sure…)

Mary in LA on May 20, 2011 at 8:30 PM

And somebody should smack that little 11 year old up the side of the head with a Happy Meal.

trigon on May 20, 2011 at 8:31 PM

The old fries were the only good thing about that place.

trigon on May 20, 2011 at 8:30 PM

I do miss the old McD’s fries… but the new, improved coffee is something of a compensation.

Mary in LA on May 20, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Good Lord. What they hell are they teaching kids today. Maybe we can fix this problem by including mood altering drugs with every happy meal.

JavelinaBomb on May 20, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Some of us tried to tell you that then.

HondaV65 on May 20, 2011 at 8:11 PM

???

Cigarette companies have been under attack since at least the ’70s. I’m juuuuust old enough to remember the cigarette ads on TV before they were banned. (“Taste me! Taste me!” sang the sexy animated Doral girl cigarette — not “cigarette girl”, girl cigarette!)

Mary in LA on May 20, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Mary in LA on May 20, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Not much of a coffee person I’m afraid. I’ll take your word for it, though. I do confess I kind of like those fake strawberry shakes once in a while. I don’t know what flavor that really is, but I can deal with it every now and then.

trigon on May 20, 2011 at 8:35 PM

trigon on May 20, 2011 at 8:35 PM

It’s… um… pink-flavored! :-)
(I like them, too.)

Mary in LA on May 20, 2011 at 8:36 PM

JavelinaBomb on May 20, 2011 at 8:32 PM

We have schools for that…

trigon on May 20, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Does not look like many here watched the video, and I think AP should focused on it more, because while that key is a Moonbat to the n’th degree he is right about 1 thing

They are winning…. And that is sad

the_ancient on May 20, 2011 at 9:16 PM

kill Ronald McDonald

Here’s how Ronald responded to the threats on his life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q16KpquGsIc

itsnotaboutme on May 20, 2011 at 9:36 PM

To the McHaters of Ronald…..

McHarharhar…..

itsspideyman on May 20, 2011 at 11:54 PM

I am thinking that McDonalds probably has internal market research that shows Ronald is liked quite well by their target market – kids.

Whoever wrote this silly article did a good job of finding a marketing survey that didn’t address the target market, and also a girl who realizes that clowns are not realistic in their portrayal of the grim denizens of New York City.

lacerta on May 21, 2011 at 12:05 AM

They be McHatin’…

JetBoy on May 20, 2011 at 6:51 PM

They see him McRollin’, they be McHatin’.

Mary in LA on May 20, 2011 at 6:56 PM

I’m Superbad McLovin the fries. And the McD’s Playplaces – awesome pitstops on the road with kids.

mdenis39 on May 21, 2011 at 12:19 AM

Some idiots nominate themselves as food cops……

itsspideyman on May 21, 2011 at 8:01 AM

First they killed Speedee, then they came for Ronald…

Nah… First it was the Frito Bandito.

It’s time for someone make a video of Michelle Obama as the leader of a Seal team trying to kill Ronald McDonald in Hamburger land.

trigon on May 20, 2011 at 8:35 PM

I like McDonalds but once my kid left a milkshake in the car and three days later, it still hadn’t melted

Uniblogger on May 21, 2011 at 8:08 AM

The 11-year old isn’t cynical or jaded. She’s stupid.

Attention all 11-year olds: Advertising campaigns are not supposed to reflect reality. You should be more concerned about your local MSM affiliate’s distortions of reality than Ronald McDonald.

dkmonroe on May 21, 2011 at 8:57 AM

There are always a few Bozos that want to challenge Ronald

J_Crater on May 21, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Most of what I see Ronald used for now is “active kids” messaging — he’s usually on a skateboard or something.

And we should all lay off little Ms. Kerr. It’s obviously punishment enough just letting her be herself.

DrSteve on May 21, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Ronald was at my local McDonalds this morning in NW Indiana. Take that food nazis! ha!

aikidoka on May 22, 2011 at 1:45 AM