Krauthammer: C’mon, Herman Cain’s candidacy is for entertainment purposes only

posted at 9:50 pm on May 20, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via the Right Scoop, I’m not nearly as sure as Kraut is that this is true. If Palin surprises everyone by staying out, Iowa will be wide open for a “true conservative” to emerge. And if Cain finishes well there, he’ll be well positioned to surprise people in his backyard of South Carolina. Doesn’t mean he’ll be the nominee, but it’s very easy to imagine him being a factor in the nomination given his grassroots support. If Palin does jump in, I don’t know how the base goes about trying to decide between them. Palin has held public office and Cain hasn’t, but Cain doesn’t have the sort of image problem out of the box that she has to overcome. How does the vote split between the two of them and Bachmann in Iowa? Somewhere Romney and Pawlenty consultants are reading that question and thinking: “Hopefully very evenly.”

I guess Kraut figures that since he’ll soon be alienating the base by criticizing Palin after she announces, he might as well go the whole nine yards and tweak Cain too. Speaking of which, the Herminator is now officially in. His formal announcement will come tomorrow.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 7

Okay Cain lovers who critizied us ‘Nistas for writing off Krauthammer for the rino tool he is, what say you?

Kataklysmic on May 20, 2011 at 9:54 PM

We just don’t understand that it’s ROMNEY’S TURN!

Don’t you get it?

golfmann on May 20, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Racist.

Scotsman on May 20, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Krauthammer’s job is for entertainment purposes only. (OK he’d probably admit that himself, lol)

Keep chopping down the conservatives and complain when the eventual winner isn’t conservative enough. Such a great strategy we have.

clement on May 20, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Why say that, seriously why smash the dude before he has had a serious chance to make his case?

Bishop on May 20, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Krauthammer never fails to bring the stupid. I have a number of reservations about Cain, but he is far from a joke candidate. I guess he has to join Palin the ‘Not Serious’ gallery.

sharrukin on May 20, 2011 at 9:56 PM

I love Herman Cain! I just knew that when this subject came up today on Brett Bair that kraut would pour cold water on it. Too bad Kraut, it’s we the people who get to decide.

Conservalicious on May 20, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Cue the Romnoid dog whistle.

OhioCoastie on May 20, 2011 at 9:57 PM

If only Charles was this “RACIST” during Obama’s campaign…

katy on May 20, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Well since you started a thread down here, I’ll ask my ? again down here:

I’d like to bring up something, respectfully.
Herman Cain has had Stage IV colon cancer that spread to his liver, resulting in both a portion of the colon and liver being removed. He’s now “cancer free” and had received chemo. Well, so did Elizabeth Edwards.

Won’t this be a factor?

Marcus on May 20, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Just curious. Nothing malicious meant. But Stage IV colon cancer patients are monitored regularly for recurrence.
“In general, approximately 8-15% of people with stage 4 colon cancer are still alive five years after their diagnosis.”

Marcus on May 20, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Sweet Bippy,the HammerMiester is Trumping Cain!

Le Ugh!

canopfor on May 20, 2011 at 9:58 PM

I don’t think Cain has a prayer, but Kraphammer is simply wrong.

Dain will bring good ideas to the debate, and when Palin wins the nomination, he will be a good allie.

davidk on May 20, 2011 at 9:58 PM

I don’t believe Herman Cain is a citizen- so why are we even talking about this?

sartana on May 20, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Krauthammer is wrong. It’s not Entertainment. He’s there to make sure candidates stay true to Conservatism because there will be a candidate who will remind the audience when someone strays Left.

That is, of itself, important. We should welcome Cain.

Nethicus on May 20, 2011 at 10:00 PM

I’m interested in Herman Cain, but it’s so dang early. Krauthammer is really talking some heavy crap for a while now. No reason to say such things this early in the game.

Keemo on May 20, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Krautdog worked for Carter and Mondale, what else needs to be said. Being a doctor in a wheelchair doesn’t make one the smartest emeffer in town.

darwin-t on May 20, 2011 at 10:00 PM

The man is not entertainment.

AshleyTKing on May 20, 2011 at 10:01 PM

And Huntsman is “frontrunner”….LOL

DeathB4Tyranny on May 20, 2011 at 10:01 PM

****************BROKEN ARROW***************************

Its coming from all Flanks!!!!!

canopfor on May 20, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Bishop on May 20, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Bishop: For F…$%^&*()*&^%$#%^&* sakes,the hammering,
is a com’n,Left,Right,Centre,and Moderates!(sarc).

canopfor on May 20, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Time for another presidential assassination movie?

Tell me again, Obama is, or is not, a Constitutional lawyer?

Kini on May 20, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Because he is not in the “in” crowd and he might really believe in conservative ideals, can’t risk that. CK really has that beltwa ruling class attitude and he still has zero understanding of the mood of the country, IMHO.

bluemarlin on May 20, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I’ll tell what is going to be intertainment: watching KHammer and Will see who can outdo the other in verbally fellating Daniels once he announces.

Kataklysmic on May 20, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Krauthammer: C’mon, Herman Cain’s candidacy is for entertainment purposes only

This coming from the one whose opinion is for entertainment purposes only.

rukiddingme on May 20, 2011 at 10:05 PM

If Cain is our nominee, I cannot wait to call leftists who criticize him racists.

Aquateen Hungerforce on May 20, 2011 at 10:06 PM

“They love him, I don’t think they’ll vote for him” Karen Tumulty.

Gotta agree with her. Krauthammer could have been more tactful.
If he’s there to keep everybody else on track Conservatively, more power to him.

Marcus on May 20, 2011 at 10:06 PM

I’ve got a question that’s not nearly as trivial as it sounds: When Cain was running Godfather’s, how was the pizza?

PersonFromPorlock on May 20, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Everybody is so eager to talk about who can’t win right now. Not particularly productive at this stage.

stldave on May 20, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Krauthammer isn’t saying anything that a ton of people on here haven’t said or hinted at.

But I don’t agree.

MikeknaJ on May 20, 2011 at 10:08 PM

sartana on May 20, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Is he from “Keynesian”?

bluemarlin on May 20, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Shut up Dr Kraut. You old Jimmy Carter supporting Hack. You wouldn’t know what the Reagan Revolution looked like if it hadn’t kicked your stupid A$$ in 1980.

Herman Cain is a good man, and a good candidate I would be PROUD to support!!!!!

portlandon on May 20, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Wow, Charles needs to get out beyond that beltway ever now and then.

Out of touch.

Elite.

carbon_footprint on May 20, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Anyone that votes for Palin over Cain is delusional. Cain doesn’t have a ton of negative baggage, has better fiscal knowledge, is more charismatic, and will talk circles around the talking heads on MSNBC, CNN as well as whomever he might be debating.

If you are a Republican fiscal conservative you only have one real option. Don’t blow it.

/third party conservative

Benaiah on May 20, 2011 at 10:09 PM

PersonFromPorlock on May 20, 2011 at 10:06 PM

LOL. Pretty damn good IMO. (Not trivial at all btw. At least as important as what healthy alternatives Moochelle is promoting when she’s not shotgunning baby back ribs)

Kataklysmic on May 20, 2011 at 10:10 PM

STFU dr….go play with newt!

winston on May 20, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Who does Kraut like for POTUS, has he ever said?

Bishop on May 20, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Kataklysmic on May 20, 2011 at 9:54 PM

He is wrong, he’s been wrong before and he’s admitted when he is wrong (he thought the Tea Party movement was a flash in the pan and admitted he was dead wrong).

Just because he is wrong here and there does not mean he is a Rino. He is a bad political analyst, that much is clear, but when it comes to articulating Conservative principles, he is a valuable ally.

Daemonocracy on May 20, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Has Heir Krautheimer decided who we should vote for and contribute to? We really need to know soon.

dragondrop on May 20, 2011 at 10:12 PM

We really must get rid of these pompous asses like kraut and rove. Seriously, we do.

texanpride on May 20, 2011 at 10:12 PM

I still prefer West, failing that I’d like Palin to stand aside and endorse Cain, but failing that I hope that there are so many Rino’s grabbing for the nomination in Iowa that both Palin and Cain can make it to the next hurdle instead splitting the conservative vote and knocking each other out leaving only the the likes of Newt and Romney to challenge Obama. How soon until we get that Mars colony up and running again?

Browncoatone on May 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I don’t think Cain is going to win and I doubt I vote for him, but I’m glad he’s in the race… he’s a far more serious candidate than many of the people in it… (including Bachmann)…

ninjapirate on May 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM

/third party conservative

Benaiah on May 20, 2011 at 10:09 PM

1.Bash Palin supporters
2.Cain hasn’t been attacked by the media….YET.
3.Vote for Cain because I said so.

1+2+3= 0

portlandon on May 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Krauthammer: C’mon, Herman Cain’s candidacy is for entertainment purposes only

what’s wrong with that? with gingrich walking around playing a greek hero and st. sarah’s endless dithering, we need a bit of comic relief.

sesquipedalian on May 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM

CK is an analyst..calling it like he sees it..Nothing more ..Nothing less!..:)

Dire Straits on May 20, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Why doesn’t this surprise me? Joke’s on you, Kraut. Herman Cain is going to surprise a lot of people. He’s stirring up enthusiasm like no one else in the race right now. So far he has my vote. Although, if Palin announces I will have a very hard time deciding between the two. Of course it’s still early and a lot can change in a very short period of time. We shall see…

Nikkia2112 on May 20, 2011 at 10:14 PM

ninjapirate on May 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM

You said you would vote for Obama if Palin was the Republican nominee.

I think its cute that you still think people take your opinion seriously.

portlandon on May 20, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Time for another presidential assassination movie?

Tell me again, Obama is, or is not, a Constitutional lawyer?

Kini on May 20, 2011 at 9:10 PM

bluemarlin on May 20, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Oops, that was supposed to be in reply of this

Bishop on May 20, 2011 at 9:56 PM

bluemarlin on May 20, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Who does Kraut like for POTUS, has he ever said?

Bishop on May 20, 2011 at 10:11 PM

I don’t know who he likes, but he has mentioned Daniels and Pawlenty in a favorable tone as well as Christie. I’m not sure about Romney, but Krauthammer seems to focus on who can raise the most money as having the best chance to win the nomination.

Daemonocracy on May 20, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Kataklysmic on May 20, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Racist.

Scotsman on May 20, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Both criticisms have equal (lack of) merit.
Cain comes across as angry, which won’t attract the moderates one needs to win the presidency.
The American people vote for presidents who appear likeable & amiable.
Reminder: Cain is 0 – 1, lifetime, in elections.

itsnotaboutme on May 20, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Krauthammer: C’mon, Herman Cain’s candidacy is for entertainment purposes only

sesquipedalian on May 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I thought that is what you were here for!

bluemarlin on May 20, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Coming from a man who worked for Mondale…Come on!

At least Reagan’s Republican conversion was authentic!

b1jetmech on May 20, 2011 at 10:18 PM

You said you would vote for Obama if Palin was the Republican nominee.

I think its cute that you still think people take your opinion seriously.

portlandon on May 20, 2011 at 10:14 PM

If Palin ran for president, she would lose Alaska… you Palin cultists are hilarious…

ninjapirate on May 20, 2011 at 10:19 PM

That is good news, you see Kraut didn’t support Regan when he announced, so that just means he doesn’t know how to pick em…

right2bright on May 20, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Krauthammer is but one guy with a megaphone. Cain is the one who is throwing his hat into the ring. It is time the candidates take a page from the book of Palin and not worry about the MSM talking heads. Raise the coin, gather your forces, hide your kids, hide your wife, and just run a decent campaign. If the fire in your belly is strong enough, you will weather the inital storms and sail into the calm harbors of victory.

If Palin DOES get though, everything changes.

itzWicks on May 20, 2011 at 10:19 PM

when she’s not shotgunning baby back ribs

lol

golfmann on May 20, 2011 at 10:20 PM

ninjapirate on May 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I just gotta ask…and your pick would be???

right2bright on May 20, 2011 at 10:20 PM

sesquipedalian

YOU are our comic relief, retard. Don’t you know that?

JAM on May 20, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Who does Kraut like for POTUS, has he ever said?

Bishop on May 20, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Daemonocracy on May 20, 2011 at 10:15 PM

So what is going to do if Sarah gets in and is a money machine? If you are correct that will be some walk back to watch!

bluemarlin on May 20, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Krauthammer is a buttwipe of the first degree. Why he gets any airtime puzzles me. His opinions stink, and his attitude is insulting. His task is to totally eff up the conservative effort. Ignore him.

frizzbee on May 20, 2011 at 10:21 PM

I like kraut… with spareribs and some caraway seed and a few slices of rye bread.

But I like Herman for the potential of saving my country.

Not conservative enough? Give me a choice of someone MORE conservative. Then, maybe we can have a discussion.

Crusader Rabbit on May 20, 2011 at 10:22 PM

I just gotta ask…and your pick would be???

If Rick Perry got in, it would be a tossup between him and Mitch Daniels… though maybe a slight edge to Daniels… and Pawlenty as a backup…

ninjapirate on May 20, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Isn’t Kraut on tv most every night? Doesn’t that make him an entertainer?

right2bright on May 20, 2011 at 10:22 PM

we need a bit of comic relief.

sesquipedalian on May 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Were you not so pathetic, you could provide it.

massrighty on May 20, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Herman is both entertaining and a serious candidate. Not sure where angry comes in though. He doesnt come across as angry to me.

ldbgcoleman on May 20, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Amazing how many people respond to an opinion with the verbal equivalent of a temper tantrum.

Krauthammer started his comments with “I like the guy ….” What followed was – truthfully – pretty standard “Inside the Beltway Conventional Wisdom” about Cain’s chances of winning the nomination.

Cain will be “entertaining” because he’s a solidly conservative Black businessman with an ‘entertaining’ public personality. His lack of political experience will be a “plus” for some, a “minus” for others; thing is, past history at least ‘suggests’ candidates with no political experience are very unlikely to win a major party presidential nomination.

I like Cain. I want to hear more from him. But I don’t blame Krauthammer for thinking it unlikely he’ll win the nomination.

BD57 on May 20, 2011 at 10:25 PM

1.Bash Palin supporters
2.Cain hasn’t been attacked by the media….YET.
3.Vote for Cain because I said so.

1+2+3= 0

portlandon

Palin supporters are like Hillary supporters. They are backing a person who has NO shot of being in the WH because she’s too divisive. If you’re going to vote for someone who has NO shot then why not find a real conservative third party option and vote for that person?

Benaiah on May 20, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Thanks for the insightful analysis, Dr. Strangelove.

Ward Cleaver on May 20, 2011 at 10:26 PM

I fear that under a Cain presidency, we really would be just a nation of people delivering pizzas to each other.

sartana on May 20, 2011 at 10:26 PM

ninjapirate on May 20, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Daniels, good idea, the Bush’s director of budget…yeah he really helped turn that surplus to a deficit, and now he is the “fiscal conservative” with a track record of a spending whore.

right2bright on May 20, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Wasn’t the last one GENERAL Eisenhower? A bit different from a pizza company.
I think Krauthammer could have been less flippant, but Cain’s realistic chance of winning are close to nil, without every other candidate imploding.

Marcus on May 20, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Benaiah on May 20, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Your premise is flawed…thus it’s not really a surprised that your conclusion is crap.

But thanks for playing.

powerpro on May 20, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Seconded. I do not know why people see Mr. Cain as angry. He does get fired up, but he has never lost his cool. In fact, more then once when Herman has lambasted Obama you can see the twinkle in his eyes. That’s control.

Shogun144 on May 20, 2011 at 10:29 PM

sartana on May 20, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Between the manufacturing going overseas, the H-1Bs, and the illegal aliens, we’re already headed that way.

Ward Cleaver on May 20, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Benaiah on May 20, 2011 at 10:25 PM

You think too highly of your own opinion. Sarah is the most feared person out there by the WH and every libtard disguised as a human.

Keemo on May 20, 2011 at 10:31 PM

I don’t think he can win but I would not be surprised to see him have a Howard Dean type wave for a while. I am not ruling the man out as my pick.

Southernblogger on May 20, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Wasn’t the last one GENERAL Eisenhower? A bit different from a pizza company.

Marcus on May 20, 2011 at 10:29 PM

And you don’t see that people are fed up with professional polititians?
Basically that is how Obama got elected, he pretended he was just “one of the brothers”…one of the “guys”.
He couldn’t run on his record, what he had was so dismal…

right2bright on May 20, 2011 at 10:32 PM

bluemarlin on May 20, 2011 at 10:20 PM

What is he going to do? He’ll make note that her campaign is serious business and she had a legitimate chance to win the nomination, he will also most likely claim that Pawlenty or Daniels or a candidate with less baggage would stand a better chance against Obama. If Palin wins the nomination, he will support Palin.

The man is not a mystery, he has made how he thinks pretty clear.

Daemonocracy on May 20, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Who the hellp does Kraut think he is?

stenwin77 on May 20, 2011 at 10:33 PM

The massive gulf between Washington, DC people and the rest of us keeps getting wider. Far greater than political philosophies. They know what’s best and we don’t.

Of course, based on their ‘wisdom’, Reagan would never have been elected.

michaelo on May 20, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Geeze Kraut, could you be more sour?

I like Palin, I like Bachman, and I like Cain. Any of the three would make fine candidates, and an even better President.

You stick with Romney if you must.

capejasmine on May 20, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Benaiah on May 20, 2011 at 10:25 PM

ROFL Your concern is noted.

Bishop on May 20, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Republican 1st hacks must be sent to pasture. The Republican Party as you know it is a totalitarian Regime just like the Dems.

Krauthammer is a part of the Republican totalitarian regime and must be ridiculed and harassed at every opportunity.

To save the US the conservative base must disassociate itself from the Republican party, otherwise, our complete destruction is imminent.

Throw out the establishment GOP and fight all liberals wherever they are.

MadDogF on May 20, 2011 at 10:35 PM

bluemarlin on May 20, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Sarah Palin could raise a billion dollars and there is ZERO chance she will EVER be the president of the United States. She is unelectable. I will literally vote for anyone against Obama, but I am never voting for Palin (Never in 2012, but if she did certain things she could earn my vote in the future). There are a TON of conservatives and moderates who feel the same way I do.

thphilli on May 20, 2011 at 10:35 PM

I know we’re all supposed to genuflect at Krauthammer, but I really think he needs to step out of the room.

Kensington on May 20, 2011 at 10:37 PM

I see an immediate 10 point bounced in the polls based solely on Chuck’s ringing endorsement. Let’s all hear it for Chuck,…

P. Monk on May 20, 2011 at 10:37 PM

There are a TON of conservatives and moderates who feel the same way I do.

You weighed them, right?

Emperor Norton on May 20, 2011 at 10:38 PM

frizzbee on May 20, 2011 at 10:21 PM

There are those who dwell on Krathammer’s every word. They are impressed by his affected, elitist accent. They are looking for their betters to tell them what to think and whom to vote for.

I read a comment by someone (on another site) who said if Krathammer disagrees with him on something, it causes him to rethink his opinion. That’s sad.

bw222 on May 20, 2011 at 10:38 PM

One of these days, Krauthammer is going to look down and discover that someone has let the air out of his tires.

Emperor Norton on May 20, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Not one serious debate yet, no real advertising, no question and answer sessions between candidates on a round table basis, no hardball to test everyone’s ability to answer the hard questions, yet so many are ready to say “Game over” to almost every GOP contender.

Why is that, don’t you at least want to see the campaigns unfold a bit before tucking tail and running?

Bishop on May 20, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Do these Noonan, Brooks, Will types understand that they only have their jobs because they are Whores for the Media to use to trash real Conservatives?

THEY are sellouts!

PappyD61 on May 20, 2011 at 10:41 PM

thphilli on May 20, 2011 at 10:35 PM

I am certain that Sarah Palin stays awake nights worrying about getting your vote and will work tirelessly to “earn” it by 2032.

What a tool!

bw222 on May 20, 2011 at 10:42 PM

thphilli on May 20, 2011 at 10:35 PM

You’re no better than the Palin lovers you deride. You’re a hater and nothing more.

Daemonocracy on May 20, 2011 at 10:43 PM

I will literally vote for anyone against Obama, but I am never voting for Palin

Huh? Scratches head……

By the way, I actually will vot for anyone against Obama, I don’t have caveats.

bluemarlin on May 20, 2011 at 10:45 PM

“The problem with Herman Cain is that he doesn’t quite look like the other guys on the dollar bills.” — Obama

John the Libertarian on May 20, 2011 at 10:46 PM

“I can’t think of one single “Conservative” Beltway Pundit that doesn’t just suck!!”

Beltway “conservative” pundits usually serve liberal masters: Krathammer – the Washington Post; Will – the Washington Post and ABC News; Noonan – MSNBC, etc. They have a great-paying gig and they don’t want to mess it up. They are plantation Conservatives. They know exactly how long their leash is and they won’t pull too hard.

bw222 on May 20, 2011 at 10:47 PM

I will literally vote for anyone against Obama, but I am never voting for Palin

Huh? Scratches head……

By the way, I actually will vot for anyone against Obama, I don’t have caveats.

bluemarlin on May 20, 2011 at 10:45 PM

That was @thphilli on May 20, 2011 at 10:35 PM

bluemarlin on May 20, 2011 at 10:48 PM

That is so much nonsense! Palin has no image problem because it is all lies!!! Lies! Lies! LIES!!!

csdeven on May 20, 2011 at 10:49 PM

All these arguments go nowhere until everyone who is in is in. Weeks ago it was Huckabee Huckabee Huckabee because he led all the polls.

We have to wait for Palin, Perry. I think he’s running, she’s not (but is supporting HIM). My opinion, and I’m just as right or wrong as you are at this point.

Marcus on May 20, 2011 at 10:49 PM

The entertainment will be watching them explode when Palin picks Cain as her running mate. Then, their true love for Barry Soetoro will once again surface and we’ll have to endure more uppity pontificating about how austere Barry is.

SouthernGent on May 20, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Kraut doesn’t view Cain as a serious candidate?

Cain’s stock just shot up in my book.

Hey, Kraut, hows your old boss Wally Mondale doing these days?

SuperCool on May 20, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Herman Cain = American Cincinnatus.

BuckeyeSam on May 20, 2011 at 10:50 PM