Tom Coburn to Gingrich: If you can’t offer a Medicare plan better than Ryan’s, keep your mouth shut

posted at 7:15 pm on May 19, 2011 by Allahpundit

I want to call this a palate cleanser, but it’s so acidic — especially his memory of the sign in Newt’s office on the Hill — that it’s more likely to burn your tongue. Can’t use it as evidence of the upswell in conservative anger towards Newt after his MTP appearance either, I’m afraid: Coburn is a Gingrich critic of loooongstanding, which makes this less of a standard “what happened to Newt?” lament than a bitter “I told you so.” To follow up on an earlier analogy, it’s as if Coburn jumped into the ring, pushed Drago aside, and started punching Apollo in the face himself. Brutal — yet amazing.

He’d be pleased to know, I think, that Nancy Pelosi and the left are willing to meet his challenge and produce a plan of their very own. That plan: Ruinous complacency followed by bankruptcy and fiscal catastrophe. Gosh, I hope she gets to be Speaker again someday.

Comments

I think it’s now just piling on. Why didn’t Coburn speak out earlier?

Time to leave this and Newt in the “dustbin of history.”

davidk on May 19, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Is the interview done on the magic Congress train?

portlandon on May 19, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Gingrich should tell Coburn to STFU with his tax and spend liberalism.

Southernblogger on May 19, 2011 at 7:22 PM

(Gingrich) used to have a little deal in his office, “Listen, learn, help and leave.” And, he rarely followed it. He went the other way. And, instead of ready, aim, fire, you got a fire, ready, aim.

Fallon on May 19, 2011 at 7:22 PM

If you can’t offer a Medicare budget plan better than Ryan’s, keep your mouth shut

Coburn: We have to raise taxes in order to pass spending cuts

Maybe Coburn should also keep his trap shut.

sharrukin on May 19, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Coburn should shut the eff up as well.

tetriskid on May 19, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Colburn is a serious politician. He doesn’t need the job, like 90% do…he can do honest work.

r keller on May 19, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Yeah. After that tax hike story, looks like Tom Coburn is peeing on a dead horse in order to divert attention from himself.

HornetSting on May 19, 2011 at 7:28 PM

I think Tom Coburn shold follow his own advice.

44Magnum on May 19, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Gosh, I hope she gets to be Speaker again someday.

DON’T EVEN!

disa on May 19, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Senator, raising taxes is not an improvement over the Ryan plan.

Terrie on May 19, 2011 at 7:35 PM

‘Hey, never mind my stupid comments. Look at Newt. Boy, he makes me look good right?’

Not working.

JimP on May 19, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Are they on a train for some reason?

amerpundit on May 19, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Oops,friendly-fire!!(Sarc).

canopfor on May 19, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Paltry men at every turn.

Waiting for Palin.

rrpjr on May 19, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Newt’s Twitter is sort of fun to read.

“Big crowd in Waterloo today, 100 people.”

Replies: “How appropriate for you to be in Waterloo.”

“I had more people listening to me when I was running for Class President in high-school.”

Marcus on May 19, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Very funny AP.

This should be the standard for every candidate: what’s your plan. And give details, platitudes get you kicked out.

rbj on May 19, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Coburn is usually pretty conservative. Don’t know what’s going on w/ the tax increase deal.

therightwinger on May 19, 2011 at 7:52 PM

STFU EYE OF NEWT RINO!!!

OmahaConservative on May 19, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I like Newt…I think if some one could wave a magic wand and he had the job he’d do just fine….

..but damn if he doesn’t do/say the wrong things….

That side by side thing with that blinking idiot Pelosi…that right there…

gah!!!!

BigWyo on May 19, 2011 at 7:55 PM

A tax increase may not be preferable, but we’re beyond preference now. It’s a serious proposal. If Newt – or anyone – doesn’t like it, they can counter with another serious proposal.

A serious proposal is defined as one that a) closes the deficit completely and produces a surplus to apply to the existing debt and b) can pass the House, Senate, and White House.

Anything less is just self-immolation for the sake of politics.

HitNRun on May 19, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Re: The train

They’re on the subway from the Capitol to the Dirksen/Hart office buildings. It’s quite a long walk, but I’m sure one of you folks will demand we shut it down.

NoStoppingUs on May 19, 2011 at 8:20 PM

someone forgot the 11th commandment

KZnextzone on May 19, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Gingpoor.

profitsbeard on May 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Thanks Tom, well said. Now go f@#$ yourself over your earlier ‘have to raise taxes’ nitwittery.

Midas on May 19, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Gingrich should tell Coburn to STFU with his tax and spend liberalism.

Southernblogger on May 19, 2011 at 7:22 PM

That’s great. Gingrich with his tax-and-spend “conservatism” vs. Coburn with his tax-and-spend “liberalism.” Two peas in a pod if you ask me.

gryphon202 on May 19, 2011 at 9:54 PM

I’ve got a better plan… let’s hope we win 30 trillion dollars in the lottery so we can keep all our current spending and don’t have to do cuts, or default, or somehow cripple the economy taxing a huge chunk of the GDP.

Oh, sorry; that plan is the Democrat’s plan already? Well I’ll have to think of another one.

I figured relying on winning a lottery that doesn’t exist would be out there enough for nobody to have staked out that ground… Guess I was wrong.

gekkobear on May 20, 2011 at 3:18 PM

As an old Aussie friend would say, “He’s the kind that would throw a razor-blade boomerang.”

Uncle Sams Nephew on May 20, 2011 at 7:28 PM