Bad news: CDC now issuing advice on how to prepare for the zombie apocalypse

posted at 8:28 pm on May 19, 2011 by Allahpundit

First, a religious group claims that the Rapture will happen this Saturday. Then this post mysteriously appears on the CDC’s official blog.

If I see any locusts tomorrow, I’m barricading the door.

There are all kinds of emergencies out there that we can prepare for. Take a zombie apocalypse for example. That’s right, I said z-o-m-b-i-e a-p-o-c-a-l-y-p-s-e. You may laugh now, but when it happens you’ll be happy you read this, and hey, maybe you’ll even learn a thing or two about how to prepare for a real emergency.

We’ve all seen at least one movie about flesh-eating zombies taking over (my personal favorite is Resident Evil…), but where do zombies come from and why do they love eating brains so much? The word zombie comes from Haitian and New Orleans voodoo origins. Although its meaning has changed slightly over the years, it refers to a human corpse mysteriously reanimated to serve the undead. Through ancient voodoo and folk-lore traditions, shows like the Walking Dead were born…

If zombies did start roaming the streets, CDC would conduct an investigation much like any other disease outbreak. CDC would provide technical assistance to cities, states, or international partners dealing with a zombie infestation. This assistance might include consultation, lab testing and analysis, patient management and care, tracking of contacts, and infection control (including isolation and quarantine). It’s likely that an investigation of this scenario would seek to accomplish several goals: determine the cause of the illness, the source of the infection/virus/toxin, learn how it is transmitted and how readily it is spread, how to break the cycle of transmission and thus prevent further cases, and how patients can best be treated. Not only would scientists be working to identify the cause and cure of the zombie outbreak, but CDC and other federal agencies would send medical teams and first responders to help those in affected areas (I will be volunteering the young nameless disease detectives for the field work).

If you’re a “Walking Dead” fan, you know just how effective the CDC would be in the event of a true zombie outbreak. A few points, then. One: While normally I’d be outrageously outraged that taxpayer money was being spent on something as fanciful as this, (a) it’s actually a clever way to spread tips on emergency awareness (the site has been swamped with traffic) and (b) the sheer awesomeness of the zombie genre justifies any expense. Two: Elsewhere in the piece, the author claims that once you’re bitten by a zombie, you’re a goner. Not true, actually; quick action to amputate the bitten limb can isolate the infection before it spreads to the brain. Amiright, “Day of the Dead” fans? Three: There’s simply no way, in a world where Romero classics like “Night of the Living Dead” and “Dawn of the Dead” exist, that this guy’s favorite zombie movie is “Resident Evil.” Nor is it true that zombies have any special appetite for brains, as even casual zombie-flick fans would happily tell you. They’re not picky in what they eat. They’re dead. They’re all messed up. Which means the author of this piece is either dangerously misinformed about the true threat from the zombie menace or this is government disinformation designed to reduce the public’s capacity to respond effectively. What is Obama up to now?

Exit question: Can anyone explain quickly in the comments who’ll allegedly be saved and who won’t on Rapture Day Saturday? Is it all theists, or just Christians, or just some Christians? I want to gauge how many of us will be left behind to battle the zombie hordes come Sunday. Luckily I live in New York City, so … pretty much all of us will still be here.

Update (Ed): You think you have it bad, AP?  I’ll be in Vegas on Saturday.  I’d bet on the number of people being Raptured out of there on Saturday, but I doubt the bookies are taking bets on anything above the number … oh … one.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

===================

The Zombies already exist,Arab Spring thingy!

And,Rapture thingy,yup,thee chosen ones!!

canopfor on May 19, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Hell they have not figured out the Zombie attack on Nov. 4, 2008. Fix that one first.

CWforFreedom on May 19, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Funny. New York is one of the first places I want to see wiped out.

KMC1 on May 19, 2011 at 8:32 PM

I’ve been stocking up on guns, ammo, food and booze. You can come stay with me in the country, but its BYOB. No sissy “I’m scared of guns the government will save me” liberals allowed.

Logboy on May 19, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Funny. New York is one of the first places I want to see wiped out.

Terrific.

Allahpundit on May 19, 2011 at 8:35 PM

I think this is actually a very effective use of taxpayer funds. Part of the CDC’s mission is emergency/disaster prep & response, and educating the citizenry. This does that in a very clever way, for basically pennies.

Mad props to the CDC.

Purple Fury on May 19, 2011 at 8:36 PM

CWforFreedom on May 19, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Those weren’t zombies. Those were Obama supporters. Zombies at least have an interest in brains. Obama supporters? Not so much.

amerpundit on May 19, 2011 at 8:36 PM

I doubt they put this up to raise awareness of emergency planning. Anyone who follows the zombie threat knows that guns are first on your list of must haves. I doubt the government wants to send THAT message.

keep the change on May 19, 2011 at 8:38 PM

…how many of us will be left behind…

Mimi Rogers

The Ugly American on May 19, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Exit question:

According to the Camping Camp (came up with that on my own!), the only ones raptured will be Camping and his devout followers, who have left the Church (which, according to Camping, is now in league with satan) and followed Camping’s interpretation of Scripture. So it looks like we’re both hosed AP!

CurtZHP on May 19, 2011 at 8:39 PM

One serious note: Imagine how this would be skewered as idiotic and a waste of taxpayer expense if the Bush Admin did the same. It’d be the latest evidence that he’s an idiot, as are the members of his admin.

But Obama doing it? How clever! How funny! How genius!

amerpundit on May 19, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Yeah, I actually really like this. It educates people in a fun way and is more effective than 10 lame PSA’s could ever be.

Good job, CDC.

Vera on May 19, 2011 at 8:40 PM

just talk it out

CWforFreedom on May 19, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Is the CDC a govt entity?

darwin-t on May 19, 2011 at 8:41 PM

New York is one of the first places I want to see wiped out.

Which borough do you want to see destroyed first?

I know, it’s a tough call.

Emperor Norton on May 19, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Zombie apocalypse = Obama voters who are still clinging to the hopenchange.

mizflame98 on May 19, 2011 at 8:42 PM

im ready!

moonbatkiller on May 19, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Noteworthy: the CDC site omits the most critical emergency items you’ll need.

A firearm and plenty of ammo.

Rebar on May 19, 2011 at 8:43 PM

I read on the Internet that it’s supposed by 1% of Christians.

SouthernGent on May 19, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Well, since you idiots let them take your guns, I guess you can fight off the horde with your wicked tongues and your bad attitudes.
Your cats will be saved.

HornetSting on May 19, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Rapture Day Saturday May 21 2011 Interview!
===============================================

Judgment Day May 21 2011 Part 1
*******************************

———————————-

Judgment Day May 21 2011 Part 2
********************************

———————————

Judgment Day May 21 2011 Part 3
********************************

**Begins at the (6:34 Minute mark)

canopfor on May 19, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Dog owners. Cat owners, on the other hand, are going to a far different place. Those who own both? That’s not clear.

Good thing I’ve got The Zombie Survival Manual and day by day desk calendar. You know, a cynic might see “zombie” as a metaphor, and to learn survival tactics in a fun way, because some serious sh!t is coming. . .
Just don’t tell Glenn Beck this theory.

rbj on May 19, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Dare I say it: ZOMBIE SPRING!

HornetSting on May 19, 2011 at 8:47 PM

UghaRoo,That interview,is from George Noory,CoastToCoast
Radio Show!!

canopfor on May 19, 2011 at 8:47 PM

I`ll take a stab at this,I`m thinking of Raptured Virgins,
er wait,that will help the Jihady`s,nevermind!(snark)

canopfor on May 19, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Dude, Resident Evil is awesome, and I’m a huge zombie fan.

Now, I played the games, admittedly, which makes the movie even more awesome. But the guy is on solid ground for saying it’s his favorite. (The sequels are just so-so.)

Nessuno on May 19, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Southern Baptist-turned-atheist-as-ateen here – those with Chirst in their hearts go to heaven, the rest of us endure the three stages of tribulation. The first one cleans out most of us, then those who can endure through the final two stages … profit? Seems like Jews are dealt with differently in tribulation depending on who you ask.

See ya in hell, AP.

elcapt on May 19, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Zack Snyder’s remake of Dawn of the Dead. Best zombie flick ever.

John the Libertarian on May 19, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Vampire spit cures strokes.

OmahaConservative on May 19, 2011 at 8:51 PM

See you in hell.

MadisonConservative on May 19, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Oops. Wrong thread.

OmahaConservative on May 19, 2011 at 8:51 PM

how the hell can you perpare for zombies with out guns, ammon, and booze?

what the hell is ducttape going to to to stop a zombie? are you suppose to use it like flypaper or something?

unseen on May 19, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Sorry, AP. NYC will be gone. Only a few Christians will be saved from what I was told. Granted, I was trying to extricate myself from an unexpected, unwanted conversation (years ago) in a book store, so I didn’t catch all of the details. It was rather odd because I was actually looking for a Bible. Some woman grabbed my arm and started in on me. I told her that I wished her a good trip and much happiness and to shove off. She called me a YANKEE!! lol

Guess we’ll be left behind, or I’ll see you in he//,

Cody1991 on May 19, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Funny. New York is one of the first places I want to see wiped out.
KMC1 on May 19, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Yeah, the late bin Laden kinda felt the same way…

joejm65 on May 19, 2011 at 8:52 PM

The whole idea of a ‘rapture’ is actually not in the Bible. Anywhere.

Christians had never heard of such a thing until the weirdo explosion in New England and New York in the 19th century. No kidding.

And yeah, the CDC’s advice is strictly beta. In the first place: NO FREAKING WEAPONS! And where’s the advice that you can usually escape zombies by simply pushing out from shore on a boat???

I want me a yacht and a shotgun! After that, it’s all details.

Scribbler on May 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM

From an informed Christian’s perspective, the Rapture is B.S.

If Jesus is coming Saturday, you’ll have plenty of time to believe in him and be saved before you die from the many plagues befalling humanity. The idea that believers are zapped away is unsupportable in scripture or tradition, and is an entirely modern idea spread, in part, to sell books.

Nessuno on May 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM

A firearm and plenty of ammo.

Rebar on May 19, 2011 at 8:43 PM

I prefer an over/under double barrel Browning for maximum brain spray.

John the Libertarian on May 19, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Dare I say it: ZOMBIE SPRING!

HornetSting on May 19, 2011 at 8:47 PM

That pretty much sums up the last 2.5 yrs of this administration.

Cody1991 on May 19, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Scribbler on May 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Way to go, Lutheran Pastor.
Love your politics.
Craig…

OmahaConservative on May 19, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I’m ready for the Rapture!!!! Are you?

Rovin on May 19, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Vampire spit cures strokes.

OmahaConservative on May 19, 2011 at 8:51 PM

OmahaConservative:I heard you were fully operational,early morning thread,great news,excellent!-:)

canopfor on May 19, 2011 at 8:56 PM

I’m in deep doo-doo. /Jew

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on May 19, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Allah, if Saturday is really goodbye for you, then spend your final hours at McSorley’s. Have fun, and don’t worry about paying the tab.

joejm65 on May 19, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Saturday? I’m so pi$$ed. I have to work. It would be much better to die at home, no? Not to mention that it’s only ten days before my birthday. Bummer!!!!

Cody1991 on May 19, 2011 at 8:57 PM

canopfor on May 19, 2011 at 8:56 PM

The Good Lord has made my cup overfloweth.

Blessed be the NAME of The Lord.
And THE WORD was!

OmahaConservative on May 19, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Maybe Progressives will get Raptured,and….and…
when they get there……they`ll find out,there in
the wrong place…and its hot,really hot…and….(snark).

canopfor on May 19, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Us zombies are not amused.

unclesmrgol on May 19, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Blondie – Rapture
*******************
********************

canopfor on May 19, 2011 at 9:01 PM

The Zombie-In-Chief will not like being outed by his government minions.

Don’t get between his wife and a tamale human bicep.

profitsbeard on May 19, 2011 at 9:02 PM

After the zombie thing, do we, like, get a t-shirt or something?

BobMbx on May 19, 2011 at 9:03 PM

How will I differentiate between the real zombies and my co-workers who fry my brain?

Saturday will be another long, long day.

Cody1991 on May 19, 2011 at 9:03 PM

CDC: How to prepare for a Thriller Night.

mizflame98 on May 19, 2011 at 9:03 PM

And THE WORD was!

OmahaConservative on May 19, 2011 at 8:58 PM

OmahaConservative:Hope?!:)

canopfor on May 19, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Funny. New York is one of the first places I want to see wiped out.

KMC1 on May 19, 2011 at 8:32 PM

F*ck you, jackass

blatantblue on May 19, 2011 at 9:04 PM

And THE WORD was!

OmahaConservative on May 19, 2011 at 8:58 PM

OmahaConservative:Hope?!:)

canopfor on May 19, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Assurance.
Read John I, I.

OmahaConservative on May 19, 2011 at 9:05 PM

As a Christian, I’ve always LOL’ed when I hear all the announcements of the end of the world being on some day or another. Year 666, didn’t happen. Year 1000, nope. 1666, no way. 1966, uhuh. 1996, some Chinese dumbass in TX said that God would appear on cable TV . . . You get the idea.

Ryan Anthony on May 19, 2011 at 9:06 PM

I can’t wait until Sunday morning.

I really can’t. Then all these fools can stop talking about the end of the world.

blatantblue on May 19, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on May 19, 2011 at 8:56 PM

/But didn’t Obama already screw us over today? I guess I’m looking forward toward Rapture Saturday.

Lance Murdock on May 19, 2011 at 9:06 PM

F*ck you, jackass

blatantblue on May 19, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Personally, I think New Jersey should be first. New York can be second.

mizflame98 on May 19, 2011 at 9:07 PM

No zombie thread would complete without some JoCo:

Re: Your Brains

Purple Fury on May 19, 2011 at 9:08 PM

F*ck you, jackass

blatantblue on May 19, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Nice.
Not so much…

OmahaConservative on May 19, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Allahpundit on May 19, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Lol…nothing personal AP….

KMC1 on May 19, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Breaking news from BendOver BackWards News(BBN)

According to Obama,he already is perpared,he has the
gear shift,in ‘R’,for Rupture,sh*t,I mean Rapture!

And,Michelle Omama Obama,is having a Rapture Party
in the White House,and she stated,

‘Will have enough food,extra,to bring`!!
(snark).

canopfor on May 19, 2011 at 9:09 PM

I’m not a Bible scholar, but I think this passage from the Gospel of Luke, Chapter 17, is the source of the narrative of the Rapture:

26 “Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. 27 People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the ark. Then the flood came and destroyed them all.

28 “It was the same in the days of Lot. People were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building. 29 But the day Lot left Sodom, fire and sulfur rained down from heaven and destroyed them all.

30 “It will be just like this on the day the Son of Man is revealed. 31 On that day no one who is on the housetop, with possessions inside, should go down to get them. Likewise, no one in the field should go back for anything. 32 Remember Lot’s wife! 33 Whoever tries to keep their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life will preserve it. 34 I tell you, on that night two people will be in one bed; one will be taken and the other left. 35 Two women will be grinding grain together; one will be taken and the other left.” [36]

However, Mark 13:32 states that “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.”

I conclude that any human prediction regarding apocalyptic events will be automatically wrong.

Mary in LA on May 19, 2011 at 9:09 PM

I can’t say anything about the rapture thingie since I don’t really believe in it.

On the other hand, my collie has received something of a “revelation” which MAY be more accurate than anything that the Camping camp has been peddling. Collie, you want to tell them?

My collie says:

Those are NOT zombies. The images you see are simply a vision of our future. Those are just ordinary citizens from the year 2024, some 10 years after ObamaCare takes full effect.

CyberCipher on May 19, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Personally, I think New Jersey should be first. New York can be second.

mizflame98 on May 19, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Ha ha ha

blatantblue on May 19, 2011 at 9:09 PM

F*ck you, jackass

blatantblue on May 19, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Personally, I think New Jersey should be first. New York can be second.

mizflame98 on May 19, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Any place on that list for, oh, Iran or North Korea?

joejm65 on May 19, 2011 at 9:10 PM

blatantblue on May 19, 2011 at 9:04 PM

That’s a good little “Liberal”…

KMC1 on May 19, 2011 at 9:10 PM

next thing you know we’ll have Zombie deniers…..

Renee on May 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM

That’s a good little “Liberal”…

KMC1 on May 19, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Hah! A liberal!
That’s a good one.

blatantblue on May 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM

The rapture is a hoax. See Lutheran theology 101.

OmahaConservative on May 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM

blatantblue on May 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Actions speak louder than words.

KMC1 on May 19, 2011 at 9:13 PM

next thing you know we’ll have Zombie deniers…..

Renee on May 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Zombie units of textile measurement?

Mary in LA on May 19, 2011 at 9:14 PM

White Zombie

Kini on May 19, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Actions speak louder than words.

KMC1 on May 19, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Not my fault you don’t display your jest.

blatantblue on May 19, 2011 at 9:15 PM

The rapture is a hoax. See Lutheran theology 101.

OmahaConservative on May 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Thanks for the link! But I’d like to know: How do Lutherans interpret that passage from Luke?

Mary in LA on May 19, 2011 at 9:16 PM

canopfor on May 19, 2011 at 9:04 PM
==============
Assurance.
Read John I, I.

OmahaConservative on May 19, 2011 at 9:05 PM

OmahaConservative:D*mmit,but I was close,haha!:)

canopfor on May 19, 2011 at 9:16 PM

blatantblue on May 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM
Actions speak louder than words.

KMC1 on May 19, 2011 at 9:13 PM

You’re a whiny one, pork chop.

HornetSting on May 19, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Mary in LA on May 19, 2011 at 9:16 PM

I’d ask Pastor Scribbler. He graduated from St. Louis or Ft. Wayne ore somewhere…

OmahaConservative on May 19, 2011 at 9:20 PM

White Zombie

Kini on May 19, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Kini:I haven`t heard that tune for a long time,thanks!:)

canopfor on May 19, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Only atheists get in to heaven. The rest of you are sooooooo screwed.

MJBrutus on May 19, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Zombi preparedness without discuss of the best weapons to use on zombies (looters) can’t be trusted. Ammo measured in number of footlockers seems to be the order of the day for most zombie movies.

michaelo on May 19, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Blondie – Rapture

canopfor on May 19, 2011 at 9:01 PM

The Zombies – She’s Not There

Bigfoot on May 19, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Any place on that list for, oh, Iran or North Korea?

joejm65 on May 19, 2011 at 9:10 PM

total annihilation would only improve those countries.

mizflame98 on May 19, 2011 at 9:21 PM

blatantblue on May 19, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Um. Who said I was kidding??

maybe we could let them wipe out Chicago or L.A. before NY, but I’d still love to see the tax eating zombies replaced with flesh eating.

KMC1 on May 19, 2011 at 9:22 PM

next thing you know we’ll have Zombie deniers…..

Renee on May 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM

You mean you’ve never heard of “deaders?”

MJBrutus on May 19, 2011 at 9:22 PM

May I suggest,Vermount (any part of),Rio Linden,
or Quebec,as an alternative,to Snuffing out the Big
Apple,er,New York!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jus say`n!!

canopfor on May 19, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Well if zombies live by eating brains, the Democrats will be safe. All they have to do is flash their DNC membership card.

GarandFan on May 19, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Mary in LA on May 19, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Not to mention I’m pretty sure Revelation itself talks about people getting sucked up into the sky.

But I’m pretty sure anyone claiming to absolutely know, one way or another, how the end of days is going to go down, is trying to sell you something.

apollyonbob on May 19, 2011 at 9:23 PM

KMC1 on May 19, 2011 at 9:22 PM

You’d love to see NY wiped out period, zombies or not.

blatantblue on May 19, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Any place on that list for, oh, Iran or North Korea?

joejm65 on May 19, 2011 at 9:10 PM
====================

total annihilation would only improve those countries.

mizflame98 on May 19, 2011 at 9:21 PM

mizflame98:Yes,a gapeing smoldering hole!:)

canopfor on May 19, 2011 at 9:24 PM

ornetSting on May 19, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Think so? Not sure I care about what a guy named “sting” thinks.

KMC1 on May 19, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Mary in LA on May 19, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Well, in a bit of tongue-in-cheek, we deal with it this way (but the point made is valid): http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLutheranSatire#p/a/u/0/j5MDqUAfPcI

Enjoy!

Scribbler on May 19, 2011 at 9:24 PM

blatantblue on May 19, 2011 at 9:23 PM

True.
And the rest of the blue state “Liberal” cities as well.

KMC1 on May 19, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Frank Sinatra – New York, New York (1982)
*****************************************

canopfor on May 19, 2011 at 9:26 PM

As a Lutheran I am deciding to back out of this thread.
I’d rather drink scotch or smoke or something…

OmahaConservative on May 19, 2011 at 9:26 PM

HornetSting on May 19, 2011 at 9:17 PM
Think so? Not sure I care about what a guy named “sting” thinks.

KMC1 on May 19, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Bwahhahahaha. Yep, pork belly.

HornetSting on May 19, 2011 at 9:27 PM

GarandFan on May 19, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Lol…as garlic is to vampires….

KMC1 on May 19, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Ingredients:

1 1/4 oz lemon juice
1 oz dark rum
3/4 oz orange juice
1/2 oz cherry brandy
1/2 oz light rum
1/2 oz high-proof dark rum
2 dashes grenadine

Preparation:

Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice.
Shake well.
Strain into a highball glass with crushed ice.

MJBrutus on May 19, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Finally we are going to stop pretending their isn’t a zombie problem.

Dr Evil on May 19, 2011 at 9:29 PM