Tom Coburn: Why are we paying disability to “adult babies”?

posted at 10:13 pm on May 18, 2011 by Allahpundit

On the one hand, yeah.

On the other hand, watch the clip below. If this guy’s not “disabled,” who is?

“Given that Mr. Thornton is able to determine what is appropriate attire and actions in public, drive himself to complete errands, design and custom-make baby furniture to support a 350-pound adult and run an Internet support group, it is possible that he has been improperly collecting disability benefits for a period of time,” Mr. Coburn wrote in a letter Monday to Inspector General Patrick P. O’Carroll Jr…

In an email response to The Washington Times, Mr. Thornton threatened to kill himself if his Social Security payments are taken away, and said the television episode showing him doing woodwork oversold his abilities.

“You wanna test how damn serious I am about leaving this world, screw with my check that pays for this apartment and food. Try it. See how serious I am. I don’t care,” the California man said. “I have no problem killing myself. Take away the last thing keeping me here, and see what happens. Next time you see me on the news, it will be me in a body bag.”…

In his email to The Times, Mr. Thornton said he is not capable of working. He said running the website only takes four hours a month, and he said his craftsman skills were overstated by the program, which showed him working on his adult-sized high chair.

He’d rather die than lose his entitlements, notwithstanding the fact that they’re driving a crushing debt burden that threatens to destroy the country. This makes him different from everyone else … how?

Hey, remember in the marriage post this afternoon how I couldn’t tell if the guy was an alpha male or a beta male? In this case — not so difficult.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I was on a VTA city bus here in San Jose, CA a few years ago, when, surprise! 6 adults(@~20-30yrs old) got on, all dressed head-to-toe in infant wear, I mean the whole kit&kaboodle: diapers, baby bonnets, each one sucking on pacifier & holding either a blanket or teddy bear.

I assumed they were not coming/going to from some weird costume party, but could only guess they were part of some kind of ‘group therapy session’ or something. Damnedest thing I had ever seen. This was years before anyone had cellphones that took pictures or I would have definitely taken some.

auzerais on May 19, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Did he seriously just threaten to hold his breath until we give him what he wants?

JadeNYU on May 19, 2011 at 8:09 PM

That’s a lot of baby, but I won’t miss him when he’s gone. Bye, Bye, Baby!

rockerpeople on May 19, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Some perspective: if you think the “adult baby” guy is disabled then the same or more should be the case for men wanting to become women. Here in California some cities pay for sexual reassignment surgery. So why not pay Mr. Baby’s bill?

Blue Collar Todd on May 19, 2011 at 10:59 PM

California: The land of fruits and nuts.

shorebird on May 20, 2011 at 1:36 AM

And what exactly is his disability? I work with people who barely know how to work the computer yet he runs some sort of group on the web? Next time he throws a tantrum maybe he should bang his head against the wall till he gets what he wants.

TturnP on May 20, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Let’s be honest here. The guy is a parasite.

RebeccaH on May 20, 2011 at 12:47 PM

are you effing serious oh my gawd no really are you kidding me right now not only should we let him hold his breath we should help him if needed.I can’t believe our tax dollars are being used in this way unfricking belivable

lees on May 20, 2011 at 12:53 PM

When I saw the picture I thought at first it was a pic of a birther drinking the sweet sweet koolaid of conspiracy theories…

Bradky on May 20, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Bradky on May 20, 2011 at 12:59 PM

conspiracy loves your kind of thinking.

lees on May 20, 2011 at 3:00 PM

ajacksonian on May 19, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Keep up the fight, man.

AshleyTKing on May 21, 2011 at 1:09 AM

blink on May 21, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Actually I realized it was the average palinbot being comforted with promises of unicorns and electoral victories.

Bradky on May 21, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Bradky on May 21, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Forget unicorns and elections; more like “reset the clock to 1960″. A right-wing Obama.

Some conservatives really need to face reality. We’ll be lucky to reset the clock to 2000!

Uncle Sams Nephew on May 22, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Thank you Hot Air for showing the epitome of liberalism.

Jabba the Hutt and his ilk, have changed benefits into a mandatory lifestyle, vice becoming a productive member of society.

This leech and others like him have turned Constitutionally enumerated rights, into a status of discretionary spending. Meaning, what ever is left over paying for Jabba’s feedings, go to pay to Defend U.S., improve our Immigration programs , etc.

If Jabba thinks that his self serving plea to continue providing him his entitlement is going to fall on sympathetic ears its not. I hope he holds his breath.

Because I’ve been looking for a shade of blue to paint my car. I think as he goes through the color spectrum I’ll find the right color.

MSGTAS on May 23, 2011 at 10:50 AM