Suffolk poll: With Huckabee out, Romney’s now the clear frontrunner

posted at 8:39 pm on May 18, 2011 by Allahpundit

I’m … pretty sure that’s not true.

In the GOP primary, Romney’s 20 percent was followed by Sarah Palin (12 percent), Newt Gingrich (9 percent), Rudy Giuliani (7 percent), Ron Paul (5 percent), Michele Bachmann (4 percent), Herman Cain (4 percent), Mitch Daniels (4 percent), Tim Pawlenty (3 percent) and Rick Santorum (3 percent), with 20 percent undecided. Jon Huntsman, Gary Johnson and Buddy Roemer all received less than 1 percent.

“With Huckabee and Trump out of the race, the whole dynamic has changed,” said David Paleologos, director of the Political Research Center at Boston’s Suffolk University. “Romney is the clear front-runner now; that’s a position he’ll have to be prepared to defend over the coming months.”…

When asked if the president deserved to be re-elected, 48 percent of respondents said it is time to give someone else a chance, while 43 percent said Obama deserves re-election. Regardless of their personal preferences, 46 percent of likely voters said they expect Barack Obama will remain president in 2012, compared with 37 percent who felt that one of the Republican candidates will be the next president.

An eight-point lead — at just 20 percent! — over a candidate who’s not even a candidate yet must surely be the thinnest “frontrunner” status in political history. In fact, not one but two major stories online today are devoted to how even Romney’s ostensible base among the Republican establishment is eager for alternatives. Kirby Wilbur, chairman of the Washington GOP, reacted to his $10 million single-day fundraising haul by telling the AP that “A lot of Republicans are hoping someone new pops up.” And Politico, in a classic bit of link-bait aimed directly at pushing the buttons of grassroots conservatives, addressed the desperate schoolgirlish yearning of the GOP elite for Mitch Daniels to jump in and give them someone to rally behind. The money quote:

Romney’s support remains lukewarm. “People say, ‘I wrote him a check, but I’m not going to kill myself for him, like I did last time,’” a well-connected Republican said. “If you listen long enough, to enough people, you pick that up a lot.”…

There is one other scenario, and it terrifies Washington Republicans. That is the possibility that some very conservative, insurgent candidate will become the Romney alternative: former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum or former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, if she defies conventional wisdom and winds up going for it.

“Republicans could have the situation that Democrats did in 1972, when the base of the party was so far outside the mainstream,” said one top Republican. Back then, George McGovern was the Democratic nominee and lost 49 states to President Richard Nixon.

What if Palin jumps in and instantly siphons off the bulk of support from “true conservative” all-stars like Bachmann and Herman Cain? The elites will go into panic mode and look to rally around a single centrist-type candidate in hopes of heading her off, but there are potentially four prominent governors in the race capable of filling that role — Romney, Pawlenty, Daniels, and Huntsman. How will the establishment choose one and then clear out the rest in order to pose a clear “Palin/Not Palin” choice for primary voters? The answer, presumably, lies with New Hampshire. If the winner in Iowa looks like he/she could sweep all the way to the nomination, then the winner of the de facto centrist primary in NH will be anointed the best bet to stop them. If, as expected, that’s Romney, there’ll be tremendous pressure on the other three to drop out and endorse him before South Carolina, where the Iowa winner will have a social-conservative advantage. But then, precisely because the emphasis after Iowa will shift among the establishment towards stopping the winner of the caucuses, you may see a massive push on Pawlenty’s behalf before New Hampshire to make sure he wins and heads into South Carolina with a head of steam. He’s the guy regarded as most electable among the centrist four, I think, and electability will be at a premium if the results in Iowa throw a scare into the elites. So there’s T-Paw’s back-up plan in case he flames out in Iowa and disappoints everyone — sheer terror among Republicans that Romney or Daniels can’t stop the Iowa winner in South Carolina, even if one of them wins NH.

As for Iowa itself, I keep hearing rumblings about Bachmann but it’s Herman Cain who has the grassroots juice, first in our own straw poll a few days ago and today in the Daily Caller’s new poll. His share of the vote is small — just 15 percent — but it’s enough to lead, and proof that he’s making an impression. Here’s video of Mitt from his big moneybomb in Vegas a few days ago. I wonder at what point grassroots sentiment towards him will change from “RINO!” to “yeah, I guess I could vote for him if I had to.” I’m thinking … victory in South Carolina. Nothing less.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

petunia, my first choice — by a mile — is Palin. Am I to be excommunicated, too?

OhioCoastie on May 18, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Did you condone the calling me a Trig Truther earlier today? Then yes, please go.

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Republicans need to quit bashing eachother and focus on the real target.

therightwinger on May 18, 2011 at 8:57 PM

NOOOOO!!!! We must have an endless stream of purity tests from here until the election.

Vyce on May 18, 2011 at 9:16 PM

If by “purity test” you mean finding a candidate that isn’t Democrat Light with pandering flip flopping, than yes. Let’s keep this up.

portlandon on May 18, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Hey, Allah and Ed, don’t worry when these people are really gone the others will be back. No one can do anything when the site is filled with Palinistas.

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 10:16 PM

I will not vote for this man. The GOP is 2012 DOA with this man.

AshleyTKing on May 18, 2011 at 8:52 PM

..so you and the others will vote for Obama or a throwaway candidate and we will give the current Pantload another four years to work his magic?

I can’t stand Mittens either but I want to throw that piece of festering garbage out on the streets even if it means Romney or — *gulp* — Gingrich.

But I do not think it’ll come to that.

The War Planner on May 18, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Petunia:

Heh.

hillbillyjim on May 18, 2011 at 10:18 PM

But I do not think it’ll come to that.

The War Planner on May 18, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Ditto. The only person I would have had a tough time pulling the lever for announced last Saturnday night that he wouldn’t be running.

Kataklysmic on May 18, 2011 at 10:19 PM

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Yawn. Why are you still here Buttercup? All you do is whine about Palin & her supporters. Step away from the computer for awhile. Find a hobby.

portlandon on May 18, 2011 at 10:19 PM

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 10:15 PM

OK, a “Trig Truther” is somebody who believes that Trig is not Sarah’s son. You didn’t go there, did you?

Aitch748 on May 18, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Poor little attention starved. PaliNISTAS

LIFE SUCKS WHEN YOUR CANDIDATE IS A NO SHOW

It’s going to be Romney vs Perry

Deal with it or whine

Nobody cares

windansea on May 18, 2011 at 10:21 PM

And by the way, that poll shows Rudy with 7%. I have never seen another poll this cycle with Rudy in it. Why don’t you stick up Mitten 2012 under your name, AP?

promachus on May 18, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Rudy still has near universal name recognition and lots of supporters in the New York area. If Daniels doesn’t run, Rudy should give it a shot.

KW64 on May 18, 2011 at 10:21 PM

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Jeez, petunia. You’re really smearing us Palin supporters. Yes, I’m a Palinista. I don’t put others down for their GOP choice. I don’t even know if Sarah will run. I hope so. Why don’t you chill out?

Paul-Cincy on May 18, 2011 at 10:21 PM

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 10:15 PM

No clue what that’s about. I can’t claim to be up-to-date on the commenting habits and related drama of your time here. Care to throw me a link so I can see if you’re a Trig Troofer or not?

OhioCoastie on May 18, 2011 at 10:22 PM

windansea on May 18, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Obvious troll is obvious.

Aitch748 on May 18, 2011 at 10:22 PM

LIFE SUCKS WHEN YOUR CANDIDATE IS A NO SHOW

It’s going to be Romney vs Perry

windansea on May 18, 2011 at 10:21 PM

So Perry and Mitt officially announced?

Kataklysmic on May 18, 2011 at 10:23 PM

windansea on May 18, 2011 at 10:21 PM

I wondered when you’d come back. You were notably absent when Mitt Romney gave his “RomneyCare Speech of the Century” last week and backed up his support of Mandates and Obamacare.

portlandon on May 18, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Hi!

So…

Which will it be tonight? “She raised taxes on oil,” “she ONLY had 1.5 million cash on hand (while Romney had 800k at the same point),” or “Quitter!”

Balls in your court…

cs89 on May 18, 2011 at 10:04 PM

At any point did I mention her family? Did she raise taxes on Oil companies? I have never called her a “Quitter” I said her resignation was a negative, is it not negative? I don’t remember the context of the money, but I said she was a rainmaker for others in 2010.

How did that make me a Trig Truther?

And I saw you get congratulated for making me leave… you all should be so proud that when you out number people 10 to 1 you can force people to go away. You are so smart and strong in your 10 to 1 status.

You don’t belong in the Republican party we are not haters. We are not like you. We are people of ideas and solutions we don’t gang up and we don’t need to call names.

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Poor little attention starved. PaliNISTAS

LIFE SUCKS WHEN YOUR CANDIDATE IS A NO SHOW

It’s going to be Romney vs Perry

Deal with it or whine

Nobody cares

windansea on May 18, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Did they do an open commenter registration recently, or something? From under what rock did you crawl, sweetie?

OhioCoastie on May 18, 2011 at 10:25 PM

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 10:24 PM

This from Miss All-2012-Candidates-Are-Conservatives? I don’t think you get to speak for all of us, honey. Some of us plan to fight hard in 2012.

alwaysfiredup on May 18, 2011 at 10:29 PM

OhioCoastie on May 18, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Windandsea is an old time Mitt-troller/Palinbasher. He only appears in Positive Mitt Threads or Any Palin thread so he can help shore up a losing Romney vs. Palin battle.

I almost expect drballard & sheryl to show up and help out with the Mitt is our Savior crowd.

portlandon on May 18, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Oh no you don’t! You Sais you might vote for some one else? You said she might not even run?
You are a Trig Truther.
petunia on May 18, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Petunia, you’re thought processes are hard to follow. In case you don’t remember, and so others are up to speed, I asked you on p. 4 of that earlier thread if the Trig question was your next talking point- after you threw out multiple old lines (lack of fundraising ability, ethics questions, resignation, oil taxes etc.) but didn’t follow through when your comments were challenged. You just shifted gears and threw the next old talking point.

Sorry if you found my question offensive.

Don’t expect to spout that garbage & have it go unchallenged, though.

cs89 on May 18, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Deal with it or whine

Nobody cares

windansea on May 18, 2011 at 10:21 PM

In the words of the immortal bard: “To thine own self be true, and stuff.”

hillbillyjim on May 18, 2011 at 10:33 PM

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Since I know my registration & voting pattern quite well, I can confidently assert that I am a Republican.

Are you?

cs89 on May 18, 2011 at 10:34 PM

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Petunia’s past “niceness”:

She does not walk on water either.

And I think she is weird.

Your devotion to Palin is sick, by the way.

But your infatuation with her has blinded you to her flaws.

I can’t imagine how someone with her lack of experience in everything is going to do any better than Obama is doing in foreign policy!

She hates people who know anything about anything.

She has a blind spot to thinking people who have experience or education

You have not a shred of love for this country.

I don’t see Palin as all that honest either really. I don’t even like her well enough to track all the stuff.

But I remember she was pretty dishonest

I don’t know that I’d buy a car from her.

I can’t imagine how she seems so honest to you.

I think you all must feel sorry for her. Like she’s the ugly duckling running for homecomming queen. I really don’t understand why people are so nuts for her. She is nothing special.

She doesn’t even try to educate herself.

Having her in the Whitehouse would be such a circus.

I do truly think that many of you do not see Sarah Palin.

Petunia is a hypocrite and a mega Palin hater. Its documented.

portlandon on May 18, 2011 at 10:35 PM

portlandon on May 18, 2011 at 10:30 PM

I was kind of hoping for cameos from chudi and Meredith

Kataklysmic on May 18, 2011 at 10:37 PM

portlandon on May 18, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Ah. Thanks.

We really need a better class of troll around here. There’s no sport in squashing these. ‘Bout as challenging as racing a snail.

OhioCoastie on May 18, 2011 at 10:38 PM

I was kind of hoping for cameos from chudi and Meredith

Kataklysmic on May 18, 2011 at 10:37 PM

How could I forget Meredith & chudi.

They are always so pleasant. /

portlandon on May 18, 2011 at 10:39 PM

J-E-D B-A-B-B-I-N.

HalJordan on May 18, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Paul-Cincy on May 18, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Did you cheer when he called me a Trig Truther? If so you don’t belong in this party.

Aitch748 on May 18, 2011 at 10:20 PM

I am so angry that you would even suggest that! I can not tell you how angry that makes me! I would never in 500 million say anything like that. No real Republican would ever say anything like that. And to accuse me of it is like being called a racist. It is used to just shut me up. And it did. And now I’m back and I’m mad!

The truth is it doesn’t matter what I say.

Earlier today:

I was suggesting that another person who said, Palin isn’t in the race because she is waiting out the statute of limitations on the ethics charges is not very smart…

I said they should stop saying that if they don’t want to give the impression that she is one step ahead of the law.

I was giving good advice. I was saying it in good faith, expecting that they would say, oh yeah that doesn’t sound very good does it.

But no– I hate Sarah Palin and I am a T. Truther!

There is no way to have a converasation with you people.

I have said a million times she isn’t my first choice but I haven’t ruled her out… but no–I hate Sarah Palin.

You have completely saturated this site. You have free rein to beat up on people as you please. You say the cruelest things. And you gloat over it as though you had done something wonderful.

You out number evey one else by 10 to one.

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Hmm. In that case, please allow me the honor of being the first to say shitt upon Mitt.

hillbillyjim on May 18, 2011 at 10:41 PM

I am sure Palin getting in will benefit, you guessed it, Romney! /

Apparently everything else does as well. I remember reading like 10 pages on a Romney thread and coming to a simple conclusion, he still sucked in my opinion. He has for the most part hidden from the public since he backed out of the primaries last round. Hey, you know who has benefited from other peoples peoples hard work and leadership over the last two years, Romney! Now I am supposed to believe he is some great leader, please, he is another pretender.

bluemarlin on May 18, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Excellent…Thanks for posting.

P. Monk on May 18, 2011 at 10:42 PM

You out number evey one else by 10 to one.

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 10:41 PM

If so, then you have a wonderful opportunity in this free market of ideas. You can refuse to slum with all of us icky Palinista Palin-worshiping Palin fans.

OhioCoastie on May 18, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Petunia,

Get that chip off of your shoulder and your opinions will be welcome, I’m sure. Just a friendly suggestion, OK?

hillbillyjim on May 18, 2011 at 10:48 PM

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Palin.

Fallon on May 18, 2011 at 10:51 PM

My favorite Flip Flopney gag so far.

OhioCoastie on May 18, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Sorry if you found my question offensive.

Don’t expect to spout that garbage & have it go unchallenged, though.

cs89 on May 18, 2011 at 10:31 PM

I spouted no garbage and no talking points. I responded to other people comments.

So you been feeling all proud all day? You disgust me.

Petunia is a hypocrite and a mega Palin hater.

portlandon on May 18, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Everyone has seen the same old quotes from February 14th over and over and over again. Hours and hours of thread and you pulled out the worst things I ever said. I have seen you say far far worse. That thread was probably ten pages long. And not a word of context for any of it.

I don’t know who you think is impressed by your same old tricks.

Do you feel proud and good that you can chase off someone else who disagrees with you?

Is this some kind of King of the Moutain for you?

Does doing this make you feel like a man? I really don’t get why you would butt in with a fight we had in February yet again. And I did apologize for some of it, but since it didn’t matter why should I bother again?

We do not need people like you in this party. No one needs people like you on this planet.

If you had anything of value to say you could say something original rather having to post and re-post a late night argument I had with you and about ten others Palin bullies… yes you out number everyone here so you can get people riled up and angry by attacking them and attacking them. You are not good and smart because you do that.

This is a list I have gone over line by line over and over and over and over and over again.

It proves that you are a moral reprobate. So.

There ladies and gentlemen… is the worst that has ever been said about Sarah Palin…

Gee I don’t see anything about me hating her. And I didn’t say anything about her family. Oh there must be something wrong.

I’ve explained each little slight, a million times. What do you want blood? You first.

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 11:01 PM

OhioCoastie on May 18, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Oh my gosh you mean they let in someone who isn’t in love with Palin? The shame.

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 11:05 PM

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 11:05 PM

They’re discussing Palin on QOTD, join in the festivities!

darwin-t on May 18, 2011 at 11:09 PM

canopfor on May 18, 2011 at 9:29 PM

ARe you a Palinista? if you are I mean you.

I got called a Trig truther yet again today. And I am inviting all Palinistas to leave the party and start your own. We don’t need you. Your kind of hate is exactly like the left using the word racist. You do not belong in the same party as people who have brains. So leave now please.

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 9:32 PM

petunia:

NO,I’m with the SarahCudian Revoltionary Voter Guards,
awaiting for Sarah to run for President,and take back
America,from the Socialists who have hi-jacked the Liberal
Party!!

canopfor on May 18, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Palin is not running

Sorry HA groupies true cons and assorted trolls

Romney or Perry.

windansea on May 18, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Ummm. then he better do somethng drastic soon to remind people he is in the race!

CCRWM on May 18, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Because of how he has allowed his surrogates to attack Palin I will never vote for him. I would cast my vote for Obama and just hasten the demise of this country so that maybe we could start rebuilding a la Europe…

CCRWM on May 18, 2011 at 11:18 PM

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 10:24 PM

In defense of Petunia:

I think what the wildflower is trying to say and that most of you understand, some maybe not so much is that it is we conservatives who are the usurpers in the Republican Party
not the Rockefellers. When she says go form your own party,
I have to admit that the thought has crossed my mind. I think that if this election goes poorly for conservatives after all of the work we have put in propping up a party;
which day after day is looking more like a pathetic dinosaur wedded to crony capitalism. We should seriously consider our own conservative party. I know that Rush says no but if liberty and freedom are to be preserved, it may be the only way. Conservatives and Rockefellers are like fire and water…. We’ve got the fire and they are the water!

P. Monk on May 18, 2011 at 11:22 PM

canopfor on May 18, 2011 at 9:29 PM

ARe you a Palinista? if you are I mean you.

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Do you have any friends …do your co-workers sneak off to lunch without you? You lady are bat guano crazy… you leave the party, we made it!

CCRWM on May 18, 2011 at 11:29 PM

CCRWM on May 18, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Everyone says that 4 more years of Obama would be a disaster but I’m not convinced. I’m not saying that it would be the most desirable but it maybe more preferable than a RINO. But only if and I repeat only if we capture both houses. Divided government may be more preferable.
Consider this…we have a strong but inexperienced bench.
In four years you could have a field of true conservatives,
such as Marco Rubio, Niki Haley, Allen West and possibly
Bobby Jindal etc. Would, that scenerio be preferable to 4 or even 8 long yrs with Willard?

P. Monk on May 18, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Sorry if you found my question offensive.
Don’t expect to spout that garbage & have it go unchallenged, though.
cs89 on May 18, 2011 at 10:31 PM
So you been feeling all proud all day? You disgust me.

A. No, I haven’t been “feeling proud all day.”

B. Actually, from my vantage point you did much more of spouting talking points than “responding” in that earlier thread. When your comments were challenged, rather than responding or acknowledging you simply moved on to the next criticism.

YMMV.

cs89 on May 18, 2011 at 11:37 PM

P. Monk on May 18, 2011 at 11:35 PM

CCRWM on May 18, 2011 at 11:44 PM

In defense of Petunia:

not the Rockefellers. When she says go form your own party,

P. Monk on May 18, 2011 at 11:22 PM

You are not far off either.

They far right haters act like they have a right to say what is conservative. Well I am conservative, but they only think Palin is conservative so since I’m not crazy in love with her I am not conservative…

I don’t consider rudness and meaness a conservative trait.

They think they are scaring us into voting for Palin by saying they won’t vote for anyone else.

So fine. For a long time today I thought the worst thing that could happen is for Obama to stay in office.

But I don’t anymore.

If these self-styled “conservatives” for whom conservative means nothing more than if you like Palin… if they take over it will be just as bad.

Only it will be my fault for allowing them to dictate that Republican now means you can never say anything respectful or nice about any one you disagree with and you must never utter a word about Palin unless you say “peace be upon her”.

Not one of the proposed candidates is liberal. That isn’t good enough. They have to be Palin.

Since they aren’t interested in any one else. They could have a Palin party… all by there little lonsomes, then we could pick another candiate.

Obama would win, but we wouldn’t have to kow tow to Palinistas.

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 11:51 PM

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 11:05 PM

I mostly stay off these threads because they usually all turn out the same, but if I might offer some advice? Back off a bit on the offense and defense, particularly with the personal stuff. Lighten up and chill a little. Folks can’t help baiting you when you offer them opportunity. Grow that skin a bit thicker. FWIW, I’m not a Palinista, although I think she would make a fine president, as would several of the others. I’ve been around here since before Ed arrived, and I hate to see someone get dog piled…best way to avoid that is not to be quite so strong in your opinions and give the other fellow credit for possibly being right. Moderation in all things, IIRC you are Mormon, so you know how that goes.
Carry on.

a capella on May 18, 2011 at 11:56 PM

I predict Haley will endorse Romney.

The Ugly American on May 18, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Mitt endorsed Haley as well, for the record. Don’t get me wrong, I hope Haley endorses Palin, but Haley has been acting strange as of late–I think she will wind up endorsing someone else unforunately.

Kataklysmic on May 18, 2011 at 9:41 PM

It won’t matter.

pseudoforce on May 19, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Obama would win, but we wouldn’t have to kow tow to Palinistas.

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 11:51 PM

I think you missed his point a bit, it is not about a Palin party, it is about conservative principles.

bluemarlin on May 19, 2011 at 12:28 AM

bluemarlin on May 19, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Which in your brains is the same thing.

Fine. Go have your Palin party. The rest of us conservatives would like to pick a candidate. And we would like to consider all of them.

petunia on May 19, 2011 at 12:34 AM

YMMV.

cs89 on May 18, 2011 at 11:37 PM

I wasn’t talking about Palin herself. I was talking about the way palinistas talk about her– and the way it sounds to others… so of course it sounded like I was saying something bad, but I wasn’t. I was trying to get you to understand that sometimes when you are defending her you make her look worse.

I thought it was constructive. And it had almost nothing to do with Palin. And everything to to do with the packaging of what you say about her.

But that was too complicated for anyone to follow apparently, and you called me a Trig Truther.

Unseen called me that a while back. And that just burns me up! As you may have noticed.

petunia on May 19, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Which in your brains is the same thing.

petunia on May 19, 2011 at 12:34 AM

How on earth did you get that out of what I said? I have not attacked you directly tonight. You griped about people not engaging in conversation and I have asked you questions or made specific comments not pointed attacks. You reply with an attack! If you do not understand that there are plenty of conservatives, not just Palin fans, that are unhappy with the GOP and are tired of being used then my talking to you is pointless. All I tried to do was what you asked and you attack, which is what you have griped about all night. Make up your mind,!

bluemarlin on May 19, 2011 at 12:43 AM

petunia on May 18, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Thank you for your reply. I think that you have hit the crux of the problem, which as I see it is this: You are a strong Republican, no doubt. But what you seem to be failing to realize is that Republicanism and Conservatism
are not synonymous. Also, even among conservatives there exists a schism. There are people like the Bushes who believe in what is referred to as “Compassionate Conservatism”, which to a small government federalist like me is an anathema. The candidates that you tend to champion always seem to come from the Compassionate, we Republicans can do big government better than Democrats side of the argument.
When you dismiss Sarah Palin out of hand as unelectable with no explainable reason why, I’m left to believe that you are a Compassionate Conservative and to us Palin backers Compassionate, Big Government Conservatism is what
brought us Obama and the mess we are in. But you are smart and already know this. So the answer has to be that you like to fight.

P. Monk on May 19, 2011 at 12:55 AM

But I do not think it’ll come to that.

The War Planner on May 18, 2011 at 10:17 PM

They’ll do what they did last time and sit it out. Even with Palin on the ticket the fringe right sat it out and gave us O’Bonehead, and they’ll do it again for sure if it’s Romney.

Of course, the liberal GOP voters will do the same thing if it’s Palin or (somehow) one of the other fringe right candidates. Actually, they will vote for Obama.

Jaibones on May 19, 2011 at 1:05 AM

P. Monk on May 19, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Which I have never done.

I do not think her style is appealing. And I think she needs to get much more executive experience.

I think that about Bachman, and West and Christie and a whole bunch of others.

I do think she is electable. I just don’t think it would be a good idea.

I am not a big government conservative. I am every bit as conservative as you. I just don’t force others to be.

I listed all the things that I think make me conservative… and you know what I got.

Because I have been married for 30 years and all my children were born in wed-lock… I meant it as a nod to abstinece education… they accused me of judging them.

My life was lived in such a way that I judged them with it.

I am not a compassionate conservative. But I a do believe in being nice. Which puts me out of the Palin faction.

As to liking to fight… I felt I was talking about some issues of the way people describe Palin… and that other’s outside their group might not see things as positive that they see as positive… it wasn’t even that I believe the bad stuff but that they were bringing attention to them… that is when they called me a Trig Truther.

I said nothing at all about Sarah’s family, which I think is very lovely.

No I dont’ like to fight, and I would love to talk about something else but… everything revolves around Palin around here.

And I hardly dare suggest another person such as Daniels or Pawlenty might be good as President.

I don’t think you are as conservative as you think you are either and I doubt anyone could pass the litmus tests that have sprung up out of nowwhere.

The only ones who look pure are the ones without a record.

YOu should think about why that might be.

petunia on May 19, 2011 at 1:09 AM

petunia on May 19, 2011 at 1:09 AM

What executive experience does Romney have that Palin lacks?

alwaysfiredup on May 19, 2011 at 1:20 AM

Jaibones on May 19, 2011 at 1:05 AM

What policy positions Palin has taken are “fringe right”? What IS “fringe right”? It would be just as accurate (or inaccurate) to say that Romney and Daniels are “fringe left”.

pseudoforce on May 19, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Jaibones on May 19, 2011 at 1:05 AM

By the way, I’d be willing to bet that there were far more self-described “moderate” Republicans who jumped ship than there were “fringe righties” who sat it out.

pseudoforce on May 19, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Allah! You magnificient bastid you!!! YOU seem to finally have come around to seeing that Sarah is no one to laugh at. I cannot tell you how much that excites me.

Sir, you’ve come a looong way, baby, and I mean that only in the best way and with the kindest intentions imaginable. Indeed, if nothing else shows that Sarah is gaining traction, your 180 degree turn about on her certainly does that trick.

There is one other scenario, and it terrifies Washington Republicans GOP Elitists. That is the possibility that some very conservative, insurgent candidate will become the Romney alternative: former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum or former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, if she defies conventional wisdom and winds up going for it.

How is that for a FIFY. ;o)

DannoJyd on May 19, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Jaibones on May 19, 2011 at 1:05 AM

I worked in that election cycle as a GOP volunteer, and I can tell you that the people stopping into our victory headquarters were excited ONLY by Sarah being the potential VP., BUT soon after that McLame began working to daily afree with 0bama on the issues, and in the end that is what killed his election chances.

Americans decided that if they were going to end up with a lefty moderate then they would choose the real thing [according to the Lame stream media] instead of taking second best. ;o)

DannoJyd on May 19, 2011 at 1:32 AM

It won’t matter.

pseudoforce on May 19, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Yeah, I think if Palin wins SC she wins with or without Haley’s endorsement. It’s just frustrating that no one of national stature ever seems to maintain their loyalty to her.

Kataklysmic on May 19, 2011 at 1:35 AM

petunia on May 19, 2011 at 1:09 AM

See right here is a good example. You say you are a small gov. con. then you list Pawlenty as an example. That just makes me think you haven’t done your homework or you aren’t what you think you are. Pawlenty was for Cap & Tax. Now he says “OH wait, I was wrong about that”, the problem is as a Gov. of a state why would you get your state to invest in Green on it’s own. Spending tax dollars frivolously is not conservative to me. Signing a bill that forces your constituents to buy gasoline with 20% ethanol by 2013 is not conservative it is pandering to the ethanol lobby that
which is a big contributor. It’s things like that that make me consider him to be a finger in the wind politician and not a committed small government conservative and by extension,
you either.

P. Monk on May 19, 2011 at 1:38 AM

petunia on May 19, 2011 at 1:09 AM

I’m with you petunia.

The sad thing about everyone here labeling Romney as a moderate is everything he has said and done for the last four years has been conservative.

There were some people here admitting earlier that Reagan would not have been elected with this crowd because of his past mistakes such as signing an abortion law and then regretting it. Think of that! The best president of at least the last 100 years would not have been elected by the Hot Air crowd! Many would vehemently deny this fact but not give a logical rebuttal.

I think they could take a page from Palin’s play book and notice that she is not attacking Romney. Not one bit.

scotash on May 19, 2011 at 1:51 AM

P. Monk on May 19, 2011 at 1:38 AM

The only thing conservative about the ones you like–is that they don’t have a record. When they have a record they will be just as RINO as the others.

I don’t get why you can’t see the difference between being in office and giving speeches. You have put your faith in talk.

When someone has a record then you can see when they made compromises… which all of them will have to do in office. And even the most conservative politicians have to make compromises.

See– that is why you need your own party. You guys are out of touch with reality. You call conservatives moderates because you put your faith in the talk of untested people.

petunia on May 19, 2011 at 1:58 AM

Jaibones on May 19, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Those “fringe right” that may have voted Bob Barr or sat home were probably offset by the Noonan, baby Buckley, Frum, Brooks, Colin Powell followers who, though claiming to be R’s, voted FOR the obamanation…

Gohawgs on May 19, 2011 at 2:05 AM

What executive experience does Romney have that Palin lacks?

alwaysfiredup on May 19, 2011 at 1:20 AM

I’m very weary of discussing Palin.

Romney’s main claim to fame is as a turn around guy. He made his millions doing for companies exactly what needs done in our government.

He has both government and business experience. There is a reason he looks like your boss. Because he knows how to make jobs happen. A lot of unemployed people would be thrilled to see Romney as their boss right about now.

I am not getting sucked into supporting anyone just yet.

I’m waiting to see all the choices… Romney has some serious problems. Romneycare, and lots of people hate his guts.

So let’s see what he can do.

I’m open to any of them, but I have my priorities as to what I think is important.

Experience is very important. And the right kind of experience.

petunia on May 19, 2011 at 2:06 AM

One would think that a Phi Beta Kappa would use intellect to make their “points”, rather than resort to emotion…

Gohawgs on May 19, 2011 at 2:10 AM

scotash on May 19, 2011 at 1:51 AM

Absolutely true. Reagan appealed to the middle because he was nice. Not a compassionate conservative, but a nice person who didn’t take joy in humliating others. He allowed others to be wrong and was still friends with them.

Reagan said anyone who agreed with him 85% of the time was his friend and he could do business with.

Now nobody could pass the litmus tests put up. Because they are as out of touch as the left is about human nature and the way the world works.

And if they insist on getting things their way it will be just like the Democrats have now.

Someone heavy on ideology and low on ability to actually do the job.

petunia on May 19, 2011 at 2:15 AM

Gohawgs on May 19, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Call me a Trig Truther and I’ll punch you in the face. You want emotion? I got it. I’ve been steamed all day by the way you think!

petunia on May 19, 2011 at 2:17 AM

petunia on May 19, 2011 at 1:58 AM

Sorry that you find me so shallow.

I have tried to be respectful. I guess we will just have to agree that we disagree.

Good luck with your fight.

P. Monk on May 19, 2011 at 2:20 AM

pseudoforce on May 19, 2011 at 1:21 AM

At the risk of getting in another fight… I don’t think Palin’s history is all that conservative. That seems to be a more recent development. And she was not considered all taht conservative when she was first elected. And I think I would call her pragmatic rather than conservative. But then I would be called a hater.

I know I said that in some way that proves my undying hate for her… so let me just slap my own face for suggesting such a thing.

petunia on May 19, 2011 at 2:21 AM

petunia on May 19, 2011 at 2:17 AM

Go cry somewhere else. I just got here. I haven’t called you an Andrew Sullivan. I haven’t seen where you may have even said anything close to him. Yet, your comment reveals much…

So, now go and try to do something else besides respond with emotion.

Btw, keep up the threats (real or not) and you won’t be at HA much longer…

Gohawgs on May 19, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Good luck with your fight.

P. Monk on May 19, 2011 at 2:20 AM

How was I desrespectful? I didn’t like you calling me a big government conservative either.

I didn’t mean to disrespect you. I guess I don’t know how to talk to you guys because that is how it looks from my point of view.

I know Bush wasn’t conservative in fiscal matters. But I like him anyway. He took a bad turn with the compassionate conservative thing.

But that was a different time.

I doubt Bush would be like that in this political climate.

petunia on May 19, 2011 at 2:26 AM

Gohawgs on May 19, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Okay… you were probably not here. Fair enough… but you didn’t start out nicely.

I have been very emotional today. Over what I just said and you sounded to me like you would like to pick a fight.

If that wasn’t your intention, I’m sorry.

You and I seldom get along. I jumped to conclusions.

petunia on May 19, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Where do I send money to the “Anybody but Romney” fund?

Seriously, we had a great RINO last time and he lost. Why would we want another one this time?

We need a conservative, not a liberal-lite!

Theophile on May 19, 2011 at 3:22 AM

I prefer perennials…

Gohawgs on May 19, 2011 at 3:24 AM

Having just gotten up, and not having read any other comments, this:

McCain Part Deux. I didn’t know anyone who voted for McCain in a primary last time. As Yogi once said, “I’m having Deja Vu all over again…

adamsmith on May 19, 2011 at 7:54 AM

It is like McCain deja vu! Not another hold-my-nose candidate, PULEEZ!! We must not let the media and democrats decide who our candidate will be especially Romney! Otherwise, we need to focus on winning the Senate because the White House will be a lost cause and I’m not wasting my vote on another McCain milquetoast like Romney.

mozalf on May 19, 2011 at 9:08 AM

I’m just wondering if these 20% of “likely Republican voters” are really Republicans, since their preference is for the godfather of Obamacare.

littleguy on May 19, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Mittens people are the ones who started calling Palin a diva

That’s not correct. We started calling her a quitter, and a reality TV show star.

Probably because she is both, check her record.

hanzblinx on May 19, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Probably because she is both, check her record.

hanzblinx on May 19, 2011 at 10:56 AM

You weren’t any better as a nuke inspector, Hanz. Check yourself before you wreck yourself:

Some former Romney aides were behind the recent leaks to media, including CNN, that Governor Sarah Palin was a “diva” and was going off message intentionally. The former and current Romney supporters further are pushing Romney supporters for key Republican jobs, including head of the Republican National Committee.

(ps. being a quitter and reality tv star > having a socialized medicine plan named after you)

Kataklysmic on May 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Hilarous to see people who supported Romney in 2008 act like he’s some kind of horrible socialist RINO this time around.

therightwinger on May 18, 2011 at 8:51 PM

I supported Romney in 2008 and now I am considering other candidates.

Having Obamacare as the law of the land changes the landscape enough to be skeptical of Mitt. We need our next president to sign a repeal of it, but with Mitt’s unapologetic support for Romneycare and his history of flip-flopping, it’s hard to take him at his word that he is a federalist.

I want to see him asked point blank in a debate to clarify his position because in that forum his statements can be challenged immediately.

csdeven on May 19, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Kataklysmic on May 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Not according to the poll at the top of this post. It’s all pointless anyway. Huck, Palin, Trump are just cashing in by stringing people along. Palin will mil it a few more weeks, sell a few more books, then fess up. She’s not running.

hanzblinx on May 19, 2011 at 1:12 PM

hanzblinx on May 19, 2011 at 1:12 PM

If you and others are right, and that is all Palin is doing, I will be here on every thread loudly proclaiming that I was wrong and my opinion of Palin will at that time be aligned with yours.

Now what do I get if I’m right?

Kataklysmic on May 19, 2011 at 1:17 PM

43 percent stuck in stupid.

davidk on May 19, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Now what do I get if I’m right?

Kataklysmic on May 19, 2011 at 1:17 PM

You get the pleasure of knowing that the hardcore Palin detractors will be too embarrassed to show their virtual faces here. That should be enough.

gryphon202 on May 19, 2011 at 1:21 PM

gryphon202 on May 19, 2011 at 1:21 PM

I’m not sure what will be more delicious: those who don’t show up anymore or those who switch memes fast enough to pull a G. I can’t wait for those who currently swear she won’t run to switch over to the inevitable “she’s only decided to run to fill her campaign coffers with the filthy lucre of her ignorant cultists as she knows she can’t possibly win”.

Kataklysmic on May 19, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Now what do I get if I’m right?

Kataklysmic on May 19, 2011 at 1:17 PM

You will get to watch her wink and smile through the debates I betcha.

hanzblinx on May 19, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Kataklysmic on May 19, 2011 at 1:33 PM

I’ve tried explaining myself ad nauseum, but the Palin detractors just don’t get it. It must be willful stupidity. I support Palin not because I’m sure she can win, but because I want her to win with every fiber of my being. If you support someone because they “can win,” then WTF do they need your support for?

gryphon202 on May 19, 2011 at 2:29 PM

gryphon202 on May 19, 2011 at 2:29 PM

So that you can have the ego-stroking satisfaction of being on what you perceive to be the “winning team”. I can remember back in the mid-90s when the Nebraska Cornhuskers were such an awesome football team, people in Delaware or Connecticut who had never set foot on the U of Nebraska campus were saying they’re Cornhusker fans.

I don’t know if Palin’s running or not. If she does, I hope she wins. If she doesn’t, I’ll be disappointed but I’ll still like her, and I’ll go for Bachmann or Cain or whatever other conservative is in the race.

pseudoforce on May 19, 2011 at 3:22 PM