Quotes of the day

posted at 10:45 pm on May 18, 2011 by Allahpundit

“The mainstream media hammers Republicans all the time — often very unfairly — and rarely do conservatives care. Newt’s comments were so perilous, simply because every conservative out there hit him for them.

“So this wasn’t the ‘lamestream media’ dictating things, as Palin claims, but instead right of center outlets exerting their influence.

“It should also be mentioned that Palin’s remarks weren’t just a rebuke to the media, but a very clear one to Gingrich himself.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8

If Cain can match enthusiasm with good fundraising numbers, perhaps Palin need not run at all. But I am having a hard time seeing the man getting to the next level based upon the current landscape as we see it. Maybe it will change in the months ahead, and I hope it does. Meanwhile, Palin can afford to wait to see what happens. She knows what her impact will be upon entry into the race, assuming she does in the first place.

itzWicks on May 19, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Yeah the ball is in Cain’s court if he becomees a major candidate or fails. I’m hoping he brushs up on his foreign policy cred.

I saw this happen in 2008 when a candidate was weak on an issue and that issue just like magic became the central theme of the general election. Mccain’s statement that he didn’t know how the economy worked and then like majic the economy crashed…imagine that….it was almost like Obama framed the election on McCain’s worse subject.

I worry that if a Candidate like Cain that has zero foreign policy experience or even a basis of a policy on subjects like Afganistian would set up Obama again to make the election about the GOp’s nominee weakest issue.

Cain has plenty of time to fix the issue.

unseen on May 19, 2011 at 11:21 AM

I may have missed it, but in all of the comments about Sarah’s appearance with Eric Bolling, I’m surprised there wasn’t more discussion about something that Sarah emphasized strongly about Ryan’s budget plan.

She brought up that the plan will save $1,200,000,000 per day and to really hammer it home, she talked about the per day savings within that $1.2 billion including the savings in medicaid, debt service, and non-security discretionary spending. She showed that she has studied Ryan’s budget.

I thought it was interesting that she chose the word “non-security” as opposed to “non-defense”. I think she recognizes that the word “security” is far less controversial than the word “defense” because the left and some in the middle paint defense spending as a bad thing.

NoNails on May 19, 2011 at 11:24 AM

NoNails on May 19, 2011 at 11:24 AM

yeah thought the detail of her points was very strong. she will be hammering this theme over and over.

unseen on May 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Wow. Just…Wow.

I must say, I rarely find my ‘sensibilities’ affected by comments around here (I’m not sure I have any), but I’m a little stunned by how we’re treating each other here.

I personally like Palin, but I recognize her flaws as I do in any candidate. That’s how I determine who is the best person to vote for.

Yet I feel obligated to virulently defend her (and others who endure similar treatment) when I’d rather focus on the issues and what kind of leader she’d (or they’d) be.

For example, why is she no longer a viable candidate because Bristol was on Dancing with the Stars? Seriously? That’s an argument? Okay, well…Reagan’s daughter posed for Playboy, Gerald Ford’s son was Soap star. Does the same argument apply to them?

I recall a coworker who told me of her dislike for GWB’s manner of speaking. Is she content now? Obama’s completely different…was that good enough for her? Or did she focus on what he stood for and how it meshed with her own values?

I have no issue with us arguing the pros & cons of each candidate, and I know I’ve argued fervently (and sometimes forcefully, with some regret that I was probably too blunt for some to handle), but do we really need to tear down each other in the process? Isn’t the media & the Left already doing that?

Based on the tone I’ve seen among Conservatives lately, I’m really discouraged about our future…I’m concerned we’ll never learn to identify the talking points we need to articulate to & resonate with Independents/Conservative Democrats (a la Reagan), and as a result we’ll lose the election (and our country to Marxism).

I have no hope left.

Miss_Anthrope on May 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM

My take on Palin’s comments about Gingrich is that after
one states a position, do not waffle all over the place when the media attacks you about it. Don’t pull back if you believe in your principles. In essence, she is saying
that Newt’s principles are suspect.

Amjean on May 19, 2011 at 10:01 AM

The LSM didn’t change Newts mind, the conservative media did. She specifically pointed to the LSM and I think she should walk that back and specifically name the conservative media as the culprit who Newt kowtowed to.

That would be the consistent thing to do.

csdeven on May 19, 2011 at 10:10 AM
Why? What point would that make? You don’t think that

What I find interesting about Palin is that she owes noone, has firm
convictions, will say what she thinks; why do you think
the repub estab is afraid of her? In Alaska she banned
lobbyists from her office and sent corrupt politicians
to jail. She will work with the other side if their intentions on serving the public are good. She won’t work with her side if their intentions are “in it for themselves”. With Palin it will never be “politics as usual”.

Amjean on May 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM

I have no hope left.

Miss_Anthrope on May 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Don’t give up hope. Reagan won conservative Democrats not by pandering to them, but by laying out a bold vision of America. If we select the right nominee, we can see that phenomenon duplicated. What you are witnessing in the comments is a battle for the soul of the Republican party that is long overdue. Don’t despair.

Kataklysmic on May 19, 2011 at 12:01 PM

unseen on May 19, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Gawd you’re insufferable fool. I wasn’t perplexed because what she said was beyond the reach of my intellectual capacities and thus I was unable to understand her profound analysis. It was “perplexing” that she blamed the lamestream media, when the lamestream media was not responsible for the backlash against Newt. Frankly, I think it was a knee-jerk reaction on her part to blame the media – it’s one of her talking points, but she pulled it out at the wrong time.

Can’t you just admit for once that she was wrong about something?

Buy Danish on May 19, 2011 at 12:09 PM

She should consider covering her hair too, since female beauty is a distraction to serious thinking.

…wait, what?

alwaysfiredup on May 19, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Quick! Someone get her a burka!

steebo77 on May 19, 2011 at 12:17 PM

The incense on my Sarah Shrine needs changing out, and
I have to kneel on my handmade Upik Eskimo prayer rug, facing Wasilla of course, and say the Five Blessings of Sarah, as I do 5 times daily.

Later.

lol :)

Brian1972 on May 19, 2011 at 11:07 AM

lol

csdeven on May 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Why? What point would that make? You don’t think that the LSM contains some conservative media too? Are you saying that the liberal media was silent on Gingrich?

Amjean on May 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Why? To be consistent.

Conservative media got it’s name because it is not part of the LSM.

The liberal media didn’t criticize Newt for not being conservative enough. They loved that part of it. They wanted to focus on the talking points it gave the demrats and the so-called racist remarks.

csdeven on May 19, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Buy Danish on May 19, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Yep.

csdeven on May 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM

It seems that Governor Palin may not have understood or known that Speaker Gingrich was hammered by conservative media, and that this is what triggered his apology to Chairman Ryan. She seems to have been focused on the original interview with the Speaker, and may have assumed that the MSM placed the pressure on the Speaker, which subsequently triggered his apology.

One can reasonably argue that the Governor should have known about, and/or addressed the negative reaction from the conservative media in her commentary. Then again, one can reasonably argue that the Governor cannot be aware of everything in a timely manner, given her likely obligations and demands; or that she will never mispeak – which all public figures do on camera or radio from time to time.

In any event, the Governor certainly made a strong defense of Chairman Ryan and his plan, which is in itself a rebuke of the Speaker’s “social engineering” comments in the original interview. This is probably the more important dimension of the matter.

SheetAnchor on May 19, 2011 at 12:56 PM

In any event, the Governor certainly made a strong defense of Chairman Ryan and his plan, which is in itself a rebuke of the Speaker’s “social engineering” comments in the original interview. This is probably the more most important dimension of the matter.

SheetAnchor on May 19, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Just by way of clarification there, Sheet.

gryphon202 on May 19, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Buy Danish on May 19, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Yep.

csdeven on May 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM

And you both continue to show how very much you do not get things. Which I contend is your problem not hers. I’m really concerned that you people are starting to really show us how profoundly unable you are to understand things that are not dressed up in a pretty pink bow.

unseen on May 19, 2011 at 1:19 PM

SheetAnchor on May 19, 2011 at 12:56 PM

It seems that “some people” may not have understood or known that Speaker Gingrich was hammered by the lamestream media both from the right and left, and that Newt’s spinelessness is what triggered his apology to Chairman Ryan. They seem to assume that the “conservative”/Rino media of the Weekly Standard/NRO types are not part of the lamestream media.

About the only media that I “saw” who handled the story correctly was Rush and talk radio.

But continue on.

unseen on May 19, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Conservative media got it’s name because it is not part of the LSM.

csdeven on May 19, 2011 at 12:39 PM

ROFL…stop please. You are just embarrassing yourself now.

unseen on May 19, 2011 at 1:29 PM

csdeven on May 19, 2011 at 12:39 PM

ROFL…stop please. You are just embarrassing yourself now again.

unseen on May 19, 2011 at 1:29 PM

gryphon202 on May 19, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Please! The basis of your current positions – that Palin
made a mistake and doesn’t know the difference between
the lamestream media and conservative media is most
certainly “grasping at straws”. I believe Palin coined
the phrase “lamestream media”, therefore, she would know
its definition.

Amjean on May 19, 2011 at 2:45 PM

unseen on May 19, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Yeah, right. Us, The Hill, and millions of other people else who heard her assign Newt’s misfortune to the Lamestream Media. Damn, life would be great if only we were as smart as you. Halp us, unseen!/

Buy Danish on May 19, 2011 at 2:54 PM

This is probably the more important dimension of the matter.

SheetAnchor on May 19, 2011 at 12:56 PM

For some yes. But if she continues with these errors, she is just going to have an even deeper hole to climb out of. As we have seen with Obama, a politician can say the right things to get elected, but once they have to speak extemporaneously, things can get pretty embarrassing real fast.

The last thing we need is a feature on Hot Air entitled Palinology of the Day and week.

csdeven on May 19, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I believe Palin coined
the phrase “lamestream media”, therefore, she would know
its definition.

Amjean on May 19, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Nope.

csdeven on May 19, 2011 at 3:20 PM

I believe Palin coined the phrase “lamestream media”, therefore, she would know its definition.

Amjean on May 19, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Nope.

csdeven on May 19, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Not a chance, it’s been around at least ten years. I thought at one time someone on Lucianne coined it.

slickwillie2001 on May 19, 2011 at 3:24 PM

slickwillie2001 on May 19, 2011 at 3:24 PM

LOL…but Palin gets the blame for using it.

pseudoforce on May 19, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Buy Danish on May 19, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Millions also apparently heard her assigning blame to Gingrich himself.

pseudoforce on May 19, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Miss_Anthrope on May 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Honestly, I think the root of a lot of that is the bitterness of some Romney supporters who are still disappointed with what happened to their guy in ’08, and who deep down are afraid that the same thing is going to happen in ’12.

pseudoforce on May 19, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Miss_Anthrope on May 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Just remember that Bristol did not do DWTS all alone; Sarah Palin was in the audience cheering her on (even for the dominatrix-type number to “Cell Block Tango”).

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on May 19, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Buy Danish on May 19, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Yes, just like it was a knee-jerk reaction to call Santorum a “knuckle-dragging Neanderthal” over a completely innocent comment, and her jumping out ahead on Libya.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on May 19, 2011 at 5:17 PM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on May 19, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Big friggin’ deal.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on May 19, 2011 at 5:17 PM

She didn’t. Anyway, if Santorum’s comment was “completely innocent”, then so was her response. Notice how the blame always seems to go one way.

pseudoforce on May 19, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I swear, if Romney’s religion ever unfortunately gets bandied about in the media again, or if Daniels’ wife becomes fodder, it’ll be interesting to see how those who are constantly preaching “grow a thicker skin…shut up and take it” respond.

pseudoforce on May 19, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I don’t get why what Bristol does matters a bit. Obama can hang with a domestic terrorist and an America hating racist preacher and nary a word is spoken by the LSM.

csdeven on May 19, 2011 at 8:09 PM