War: Spud industry resists USDA effort to yank potatoes from school lunches

posted at 8:33 pm on May 17, 2011 by Allahpundit

Remember when food was tasty and being a kid was fun?

In my own hazy, rose-colored memories of lunchtime at school, we used to eat ice-cream pizza with french-fried sprinkles. Learning was a pleasure.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture is proposing to eliminate the “white potato”—defined as any variety but the sweet potato—from federally subsidized school breakfasts and to limit them sharply at lunch…

With the USDA set to release final rules in coming months, and put them into effect in the 2012-2013 school year, the National Potato Council in Washington, D.C., is urging the “entire potato industry” to mobilize.

In its “Tell USDA to Keep Potatoes in Schools!” campaign, the National Potato Council calls the spud affordable and “kid pleasing,” adding “familiar shapes make lunchtime fun.” It bills potatoes as a “gateway,” that can introduce students to other vegetables “in, around, and on top of the potato.” The Maine Potato Board similarly touts the spud as a “conduit” veggie, which because of its “immense popularity” can propel people to eat broccoli or spinach as toppings…

Last year, the government said participants in the USDA’s program for low-income pregnant women and their children couldn’t use federal money to buy white potatoes. The Institute of Medicine, an arm of the National Academy of Sciences, made the recommendation, arguing most people already eat enough potatoes and should be encouraged to eat other vegetables.

And to think, some people find the Obama administration to be a bit of a drag. Here’s the National Potato Council’s ode to the school-lunch spud; Ed wrote about the “war on potatoes” back in October and what it might portend for greater government intrusion into dietary choices. There does seem to be an uptick lately in stories about the state obsessing over kids’ weight, from curiosities like this to moronic attempts to ban Happy Meals to eyebrow-raising technology in which kids’ semi-empty plates are actually videotaped so schools can make sure they’re not consuming too many calories. The next step, I take it, will be to make five-year-olds keep daily diaries on one of those online calorie-counting websites, and then somewhere down the road we’ll presumably eliminate the middle man and just chip ‘em to make sure they’re not overeating.

And as always, where there’s government meddling, there’s waste:

The regulations would also require schools to spend more money for fresh fruits and vegetables. Many districts now serve cheaper canned fruits or frozen vegetables…

What the government sees as a drive for more nutritious meals, some in the states see as an unfunded mandate from Washington…

Ms. Castaneda said her district’s food budget, including breakfast and lunch programs, would increase by $111,234 under the guidelines taking shape. Federal school lunch program reimbursements would cover $32,460, leaving the Pennridge district little choice but to raise lunch prices to come up with the remaining $78,774.

A food-service director in Maine told the Journal that she tried swapping out french fries for sweet-potato fries, but most of them ended up in the garbage. Get her a videocamera, stat. Exit question: As much as I want to be on the potato industry’s side here, is it remotely true that potatoes are a “gateway drug” to green/healthier vegetables? I’ve consumed many a fry in my time, and for me they’ve never been a gateway to, say, broccoli. They’ve been a gateway to more fries.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Spud gun!

profitsbeard on May 17, 2011 at 9:42 PM

canopfor on May 17, 2011 at 9:05 PM

cmsinaz on May 17, 2011 at 9:45 PM

How else are they going to get tomatoes if not for ketchup?

I’m surprised John Kerry isn’t trying to block the legislation for Theresa’s sake.

John the Libertarian on May 17, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Like incandescent lightbulbs, white potatoes will be in my ‘black market’.
Sixty dollars for a dime bag…that’s a ten pound bag for you newbies!

HornetSting on May 17, 2011 at 8:51 PM

I’ll be your connection!

I have three 5gallon buckets of potatoes hanging out in the dining room, a laundry basket full in the closet, and 4 rows out in the garden.

We grow our own potato smack ’round here. And I feed them to my child (on an almost daily basis).

They are cheap, nutritious and yummy, they stretch out meals beautifully and can be cooked a gizzilion different ways.

What sounds good right now is a big plate of french fries (fried in beef tallow of course).

I’m glad my kid is not going to be subject to gubmit telling her what to eat (that is my job thanks very much).

kringeesmom on May 17, 2011 at 9:53 PM

My g’kids love broccoli… I’m certain they each ate mashed potatos for months prior to endulging in the harder ‘green’ stuff… So yes, potatos are a gate way food…

RalphyBoy on May 17, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Kids’ taste buds find blander foods more palatable. It takes a while for them to grow to appreciate the stronger flavors of some vegetables. They will eat raw carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli. It takes a while for them to accept vegetables in the cabbage family.

onlineanalyst on May 17, 2011 at 9:55 PM

They’ve been a gateway to more fries.

They are a gateway to lettuce and tomatoes. Raw potatoes are great to snack on.

Vince on May 17, 2011 at 9:55 PM

How else are they going to get tomatoes if not for ketchup?

John the Libertarian on May 17, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Pizza.

malclave on May 17, 2011 at 9:59 PM

kringeesmom on May 17, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Sold!

HornetSting on May 17, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Wait a sec. I’m like 165, 5’11, OLD, bp is like 110 over 70, all my joints work, and I’ve been eating spuds since Truman was holding up newspapers for the press.

What the hell did I miss about the ‘white potato’? Was it caught burning bell peppers on someone’s lawn? Were they harvesting kidney beans on the black (ooops) market?

Limerick on May 17, 2011 at 10:11 PM

I’m glad somebody somewhere is mobilizing!
The freaking potato company can mobilize more effectively to save it’s potato business than the GOP leadership can to save America!
They have more passion and determination to fight for potatoes than the GOP seems to have for their country!

JellyToast on May 17, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Heh, they have skin in the game.

onlineanalyst on May 17, 2011 at 10:15 PM

What is uniquely bad about potatoes? Is it somehow better if what’s fried is chicken? French fries aren’t even dipped in batter.

Esthier on May 17, 2011 at 10:18 PM

It is not potatoes making kids fat. It is their sedintary lifestyles.

Carbohydrate rich foods are essential for energy and the overall feeling of well being. Kids used to play sports, ride bikes, run and play active physical games. Now, kids sit all day in front of a video screen.

DeathB4Tyranny on May 17, 2011 at 10:25 PM

HornetSting on May 17, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Got a closet full of light bulbs too!

kringeesmom on May 17, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Spud gun!

profitsbeard on May 17, 2011 at 9:42 PM

You start making those guns and they just get bigger and bigger… we have some really great potato guns, alas my sons grew up… they gather dust, the guns, not the boys.

But in their hey day… we put a hole in my father-in-law’s shop wall! A big hole, that was a big enough gun…. it went through a fiberglass part, but still!

As a former potato grower… this is simply sacriledge. Blaspheme!

Why does the Obama administration hate farmers? Burn corn and ban potatoes. Wow. Talk about social engineering!

Besides, it is the deep frying that is the problem, not the spud! Bake the fries, problem solved.

petunia on May 17, 2011 at 10:34 PM

RalphyBoy on May 17, 2011 at 8:46 PM

They push broccoli on Seaseme Street now. My grandson swore he loved Broccoli, you should have seen his face when he tasted it!!!! Hillarious.

I had a secret for getting my kids to like cooked vegies… my mom did too. Butter. Yep. Smother the brussel sprouts in butter… I mean drown them in butter.

I love vegies and so do all my kids… my husband not so much. His mom made him sit at the table all night if he didn’t eat his peas. Still hates peas.

We don’t even need much butter anymore. That’s the secret.

petunia on May 17, 2011 at 10:40 PM

I’m going to confess something, that I haven’t told many people. I don’t know if I’ve ever told ANYONE. When I was a kid … I’m ashamed about this, but I’m going to come out and say it. When I was a kid, I ate french fries. I did. Usually I put ketchup on them. And here’s the kicker — I LIKED them. I did. I enjoyed eating them. *buries head in hands and sobs*

Paul-Cincy on May 17, 2011 at 10:42 PM

My name is Lily and I’m Addicted to Spuds.

Lily on May 17, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Many districts now serve cheaper canned fruits or frozen vegetables…

Ummm, frozen veggies are healthier because they’re washed flash frozen right after picking so they’re fresher and haven’t been man-handled over thousands of miles during transport.

Common Sense on May 17, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Home cut fries tossed in egg whites, sprinkled with seasonings, and baked. Yummy and healthy, too. Even Michelle would probably be fooled into thinking they were fried.

spudmom on May 17, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Common Sense on May 17, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Same thing with fish. They’re all thrown on ice immediately, so “fresh fish” just means it’s thawed to room temp.

John the Libertarian on May 17, 2011 at 11:50 PM

If I can quote Justice Alito: “It’s not true.”

maineconservative on May 18, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Another government agency goes off half-cocked to mandate behavior…with no evidence whatsoever that the mandate will produce any desirable outcome.

“Health” is subjective, and individuals in a free society should be allowed to determine what is “good” and/or “healthy” for themselves. If someone wants to engage in skydiving or be a steeple-jack or be the world’s largest consumer of fries, there is absolutely no justification for the government to interfere.

Life belongs to the individual and not government. People need to be free to make tradeoffs between a “fun life” and a “long life,” and no government nanny has the right to interfere and force an individual into an unhappy situation. This is what “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” is all about!!!

landlines on May 18, 2011 at 12:35 AM

The USDA, a corporate moneyline to Monsanto.

They support people who have farmland and then pay them not to farm.

Those that do farm are penalized if they aren’t on the select list of ‘good’ foods set up by bureaucrats who use the latest shinola from advocacy groups to create ‘meal plans’.

Remember the ‘food pyramid’ that had so many servings of grain at the bottom you couldn’t choke through a meal to get to the tiny steak at the top? Mix a high-carb diet with less exercise and you get: fat. That was going on BEFORE the computer and kids were just sitting in front of the tube most of the day… and it was happening to adults, too.

I’ve seen huge swings in my blood glucose level due to carb rich meals: a quick disassembly and those starches become sugars very quickly. I’m just a type I diabetic, I don’t have the insulin resistance problem due to high blood glucose swings… I have the ‘must moderate carbs downward to stop getting swings in bg levels or face the consequences’ problem.

Spuds are great, spuds are wonderful, and spuds done in oil slow the uptake of their carbs into the bloodstream to be turned into sugars. Fried carbohydrates retain that lovely fat that slows down the uptake of the carbs and, therefore, their change into sugar in the bloodstream. Get enough fat and protein in your meal and you slow down the digestion rate no end… which has the side effect of slowing down alcohol uptake as well, so be warned that your drinks last longer with those fried chicken wings and french fries, which is why they are such a good combo with the beer of your choice.

Keep the freaking food police away from our children because diet plans must be tailored to an individual, not a group. As Mark Twain said about diets, he loved them but never followed a single one as if you did so you could die from a misprint. Learn how your body reacts to food… not just if it is good, but measure what it does to you. Learning about how your uptake differs from those even in your own family and why it does so can lead to moderation in a diet.

I followed Atkins long enough to get my baseline settled and then slipstreamed in just enough carbs into my diet so as to minimally disturb that baseline. Any slow uptake baseline diet allows this, just don’t cheat no matter how much you want to as your life is in your hands. Be careful to understand how your body reacts to food as it is something you can learn… and that old world diet of kraut and sausages with some potato on the side suddenly sounds like an excellent meal… too bad the food police want to get rid of the salt, fat, meat and potatos… hope you like cabbage!

ajacksonian on May 18, 2011 at 7:08 AM

If we cannot control these government agencies, they must, by design, control us. Whatever “good intentions” existed when USDA was formed, they died long ago in the quest for power and increased funding.

SKYFOX on May 18, 2011 at 7:35 AM

Yes, potatoes can be used as a gateway to other vegetables. You can take a baked potato, top it with salsa, broccoli, and other vegetables. You can also remove the cooked potato, mash it, and combine the potato with spinach, a little cheese and seasonings, restuff the baked potato skin with the mixture, and brown a bit in the oven, absolutely delicious. You can make a soup or stew with potatoes and get creative with the vegetables, adding parsnips, green beans, tomatoes, zucchini, you name it. Those veggies will be eaten up along with the potatoes. The Japanese embraced beef stew, and made it their own, by creating a curry flavored roux, and they use potatoes and carrots in it, as well as other vegetables, and it’s considered a comfort food in Japan.

Potatoes are extremely good for you. The lefties in the ’70s bad mouthed the potato, giving it a bad rap, but it’s an extremely versatile and healthy food, and when you prepare it and serve it with your meals, you’re adding a good source of vitamins and minerals. The taste is so good, you don’t need to add a lot of fat to induce kids to eat them. A more serious threat to our kids health is margarine, which we’re learning contains carcinogens, and the worst kinds of fat. Real butter is healthier and when eaten in moderation does not make you fat.

Consider the fact, in the ’70s, leftists attacked milk, blamed it for making people fat, yet we’ve since seen a huge spike in women being diagnosed with osteoporosis in the years since it became the norm for women to consume less milk and dairy products. The left has long sought to undermine and weaken Americans. In the 20th century, Americans were known to be healthier, taller and stronger than people in other countries, even in Europe, and the left have long sought to undermine that, by discouraging us from eating what is truly healthy, and made us strong. We’ve since learned that consuming a proper amount of milk and dairy products actually helps with weight loss. I can’t believe there isn’t more of an effort to take a stand against this BS.

Ceolas on May 18, 2011 at 7:39 AM

Idaho, the “Potato State” is solidly Republican, so of course this makes sense.

Spartacus on May 18, 2011 at 7:52 AM

Huh? so its not the potato – its the magic potato that poor people are eating… off the fed subsidy, late at night in an alley???

So its not the health issue – but in fact a knock against 1 industry, while favoring another.

Now everyone guess what state 30% of Americas veggie supply comes from….

Odie1941 on May 18, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Schools lunches that cost more that kids won’t eat. The libs can then point to kids going hungry as the need for more funds for education. My parents couldn’t force me to eat or pay me to eat spinach. Love it today, but the govt won’t let the kids make their own choices.

Kissmygrits on May 18, 2011 at 8:32 AM

I fed my kids all the potatoes they wanted. We didn’t serve french fries at home. My daughter went to the olympic tryouts in heptathlon and NCAA finals in track.

From my psych background, it seems to be a behavioral issue and not a nutrition issue.

seven on May 18, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Let’s just get rid of public schools, and let the food problems solve themselves.

Slowburn on May 18, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Jimmuh Cahtah is smuggling all of them over to North Korea. Just admit it Commies.

adamsmith on May 18, 2011 at 10:59 AM

If schools get rid of potatoes as part of their lunches, what are kids going to use to dip into their Ketchup, the lunch tray’s only vegetable?

Just thought I’d ask.

Jack Deth on May 18, 2011 at 11:28 AM

darwin-t on May 17, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Expand your mind, darwin-t. Imagine — just imagine — the ppossibility of school lunches subsidized solely by the local government, without any money from the feds.

That’s how it was when I was a kid. You brought your lunch from home, or bought a lunch that was subsidized by the local taxpayers (through property taxes) because otherwise families would have to pay full price for the lunches. For my first 8 years of school, I almost always brought lunch from home. This was in the 1960s and ’70s.

Or even imagine the schools not providing lunches at all. That’s how it was when my grandparents were kids, in the 1910s and ’20s.

J.E. Dyer on May 18, 2011 at 12:00 PM

J.E. Dyer on May 18, 2011 at 12:00 PM

And in this day & age, with all of the cheap food available, as well as the fact that it’s pretty easy for people to be eligible for food stamps & wa lah! Poor people are obese! Bcs they have access to lots of food, as well as processed food, and lots of grains & other carbs.
Our small rural school stopped the school breakfast program.
I do not think it is the government’s job to feed children who are dependents of adults who should be responsible for feeding their own children.
And those that are poor, well they are often getting some sort of govt assistance for it & so it is unneccessary for them to get double assistance.
In the high school, kids rarely eat well.
In fact, our school allows a student to have a schedule where they have NO lunch period (which I think is WRONG).
Feed your own damned kid.
And if a local govt wants to do it, that’s up to a vote with teh taxpayers.

Badger40 on May 18, 2011 at 12:18 PM

This is extremely ironic, considering most food stamp programs in many states allow the recipient to purchase soda, chips, ice cream, etc.

Badger40 on May 18, 2011 at 12:19 PM

A new front: the war on salt.

When will this insanity end?

PattyJ on May 18, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Mmmmmm… mashed arugula.

Ward Cleaver on May 18, 2011 at 12:27 PM

A new front: the war on salt.

When will this insanity end?

PattyJ on May 18, 2011 at 12:27 PM

When we get to Soylent Green.

Ward Cleaver on May 18, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Moronic. Fresh vegetables lose nutritional value quickly, and have a very short shelf life. Frozen vegetables are frozen shortly after being picked, retaining most of their nutrtional value. To eliminate frozen vegetables in favor of fresh is just stupid.

Also, there is a big difference between baked potatoes, and deep fried french fries. Healthy “baked” french fries can also be made, using sliced, unpeeled potatoes, a little olive oil, and a baking sheet. It’s stupid to equate all potatoes with deep fried french fries.

mbs on May 18, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Ed, potatoes can be fries, but fries are not necessarily all potatoes. I’m sure you’ve had baked potatoes topped with other kinds of vegetables. I know I have.

Ryan Anthony on May 18, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Or rather . . . Allah . . . Sigh . . .

Give me a break, I still need to wake up. Gotta get that second coffee into my veins somehow.

Ryan Anthony on May 18, 2011 at 1:01 PM

At my high school in the 1970′s, the mashed potatoes were the only thing that tasted halfway good.

If they’re afraid of childhood obesity, cut out the pizzas and hamburgers and serve the food from way back in the 60′s and 70′s. There were hardly any obese kids mainly because most of the food was inedible.

moonsbreath on May 18, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Police state!

madmonkphotog on May 18, 2011 at 1:25 PM

moonsbreath on May 18, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Or serve the stuff I got at my old religious school. I literally BEGGED to be allowed to pack my own lunch more than 2x a week. And the lunch monitors could have given the SS lessons on strictness.

Uncle Sams Nephew on May 18, 2011 at 1:26 PM

End subsidized school lunches. If you can’t afford to feed your kid, then you shouldn’t have kids. While you’re at it, eliminate the cafeteria too. Pack your kid a brown bag lunch. I did so for years as a child. It was better than the crap at school and cheaper too.

BierManVA on May 18, 2011 at 1:29 PM

War: Spud industry resists USDA effort to yank potatoes from school lunches

USDA has a MASH unit?

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on May 18, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Uncle Sams Nephew on May 18, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I usually always took my lunch growing up.
It wasn’t until HS I started buying.
And they had all kinds of yummy things like pizza, hamburgers, fries, baked potatoes, salad bar, fried burritos,you name it.
It was awesome.
I ate like a hog.
And I was skinny.

Badger40 on May 18, 2011 at 1:52 PM

It’s my understanding that frozen vegetables actually retain more nutrients than even fresh, since they’re flash frozen immediately upon harvest. Fresh veggies lose nutritional value over time from the moment they’re harvested.

cheeflo on May 18, 2011 at 1:55 PM

cheeflo on May 18, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Of course you are correct.
But please, let’s not let us confuse facts with the real issue here and that is idiotic control of the populace.

Badger40 on May 18, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Ryan Anthony on May 18, 2011 at 1:01 PM

The Ministry if Dietary Choice has determined that coffee, in any amount, is bad for you. Therefore you will be sent to a dietary re-education camp so we can gently suggest you make other choices (or else).

runawayyyy on May 18, 2011 at 3:35 PM

More potatoes = cheaper vodka.

Eff it. Pass out the cheap tater juice and the Marxist programs will go down a lot smoother. Ask the Russians.

hillbillyjim on May 18, 2011 at 3:46 PM

When will this insanity end?

PattyJ on May 18, 2011 at 12:27 PM

It won’t end so long as we allow the government to control (i.e. fund) so much of our healthcare.

What we eat impacts how healthy we are, which impacts how many healthcare resources we consume. As long as government remains in the healthcare business, it will also try to control other areas of our lives that impact our health, such as what we eat, how much we exercise, how often and with whom we have sex, etc. (essentially, every other aspect of our lives, since they all affect our health).

We won’t stop this crap until we get government out of the healthcare business, where it has no business being in the first place.

AZCoyote on May 18, 2011 at 4:05 PM

As someone who grew up in Ireland, I find the idea of banning potatoes completely racist. It is nothing more than a shameless attempt to oppress my people and erase our cultural heritage.

CityFish on May 18, 2011 at 4:51 PM

My dad’s fondest memories of his maternal grandmother (who lived in a shack in the CA mountains with no running water or electricity until she was very very old) include her serving him a baked potato with either stewed tomatoes or canned spinich (ick!). I don’t like that, but I do like ‘em with corn, and a little salt and pepper. Mmmmmm!

Yeah, I also like them with butter and gravy, but who doesn’t?!

Bob's Kid on May 18, 2011 at 5:02 PM

As someone who grew up in Ireland, I find the idea of banning potatoes completely racist rootist. It is nothing more than a shameless attempt to oppress my people and erase our cultural heritage.

CityFish on May 18, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Corrected.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on May 18, 2011 at 8:57 PM

War: Spud industry resists USDA effort to yank potatoes from school lunches

Tuber or not tuber? That is the question.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on May 18, 2011 at 8:58 PM

moonsbreath on May 18, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Huh, I was in several schools in the ’60s and ’70s (Air Force brat)…the food was surprisingly awesome. In particular, the hamburger pizzas, peanut butter squares and the fresh-baked rolls.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 18, 2011 at 11:55 PM