The obligatory “Schwarzenegger did a bad, bad thing” post

posted at 4:17 pm on May 17, 2011 by Allahpundit

A reader e-mailed this morning claiming this was definitive proof that he’s a RINO, because if he was a conservative in good standing, the media would have sniffed out the story and destroyed him with it ages ago.

Can you feel awful for his wife and kids while still grimly enjoying zingers like InstaGlenn’s? I’m now able to confirm that the answer is yes.

Former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and his wife, Maria Shriver, separated after she learned he had fathered a child more than a decade ago — before his first run for office — with a longtime member of their household staff.

Shriver moved out of the family’s Brentwood mansion earlier this year, after Schwarzenegger acknowledged the paternity. The staff member worked for the family for 20 years, retiring in January.

“After leaving the governor’s office I told my wife about this event, which occurred over a decade ago,” Schwarzenegger said Monday night in a statement issued to The Times in response to questions. “I understand and deserve the feelings of anger and disappointment among my friends and family. There are no excuses and I take full responsibility for the hurt I have caused. I have apologized to Maria, my children and my family. I am truly sorry…

[The staff member] said she voluntarily left her position with the couple earlier this year after reaching a longstanding goal of working for them for two decades. “I wanted to achieve my 20 years, then I asked to retire,” she said, adding she received a severance payment and “left on good terms with them.”…

Schwarzenegger took financial responsibility for the child from the start and continued to provide support, according to a source who declined to be identified because of the former governor’s request for privacy.

She told the Times initially that her former husband was the child’s father; when they called her back and read her Arnold’s statement, she … declined to comment further. At first it seemed unlikely to me that Schwarzenegger’s wife could be kept in the dark for more than 10 years, especially when he was paying child support under the table, but the Daily Beast says that’s easily explained: He and Maria Shriver had apparently always kept their money separate. Oh, and another charming detail:

[A] source close to Shriver tells The Daily Beast exclusively that when Schwarzenegger came clean, he still didn’t exactly do the right thing. “She asked him to leave the house and he refused,” this person says.

Which is why Schwarzenegger stayed in their home and she moved into a hotel.

So to recap: This guy already had a love child that his wife didn’t know about before he decided to run for governor. Knowing full well that running for office would place him and his family under an even stronger media microscope than he faced as a movie star, he went ahead and ran anyway, risking an earth-shaking revelation of his secret while in office. Meanwhile, he actually kept the child’s mother on staff in his house for 10 more years, interacting with her daily right under the nose of poor Maria Shriver, and refusing to tell his family about the child until his term in office was safely over. And then, to top it off, when he finally told Maria the truth, he basically forced her to kick herself out of the house by refusing to leave. Does that sum it up? Darn that natural-born citizen clause in the Constitution. To think how close we came to a John Edwards presidential campaign meltdown of our very own.

Here’s the “View” crew stomping on him for a solid three minutes. A lingering question: Was the staffer’s former husband in the dark too?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I guess if you are filthy rich, you can have a 10yr old bastard and serve 2 terms as Governor without it getting out.

jp on May 17, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Hey, let’s change the Constitution so he can be eligible as a foreign born American for the White House!

englishqueen01 on May 17, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I have facebook friends who try to use that argument. To which I say, “So, if 100%, or even 80% of heterosexual marriages were successful, would that mean that there is no reason for “gay marriage”. And if 50% of gay marriages were to fail, would we than say that Polygamy should be legal?”

Buy Danish on May 17, 2011 at 5:23 PM

The Sperminator. Coming soon to a bedroom near you.

TXUS on May 17, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Jokes and snide comments aside, I think Arnold just became the living embodiment of the classic cliche “Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely!”

In his case, that power cost him big time.

With interest.

pilamaye on May 17, 2011 at 5:25 PM

suprised Maria didnt notice the kid’s bulging bicepts and glutes.

hanzblinx on May 17, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Also the fact that the kid was diddling the nanny, the two maids, and the gardener’s daughter.

But hey, a mom can’t watch her son every minute, can she?

Splashman on May 17, 2011 at 5:26 PM

The entire thing is sad.

First…Arnold. Yes, he paid support for the child, but has he ever acknowledged the child as his child? Probably not. This child is 10 years old now, and has a better understanding. It’s just a matter of time before this child is outted in the press.

Secondly…and I’m sorry for Maria and her children. However, I find it so hard to believe that she didn’t know or suspect. 10 years is a long time, and never once she supspected? Forget about the seperate accounts….intuition I’d think would kick in somewhere. Something had to have been seen, heard, or noticed. Perhaps the story being told right now is to protect her, because she helped keep the secret? Maybe she really enjoyed being first lady, and didn’t want that messed with? Dunno. Just throwing that one out there.

Third, and lastly….the woman. As someone above said….how do you work for Maria for 10 years, knowing you have her husbands child? Sick! Arnold and this woman are BOTH guilty, and unfortunately, and as has been said…this child, and Arnold and Maria’s children will be the ones who suffer the most from this.

capejasmine on May 17, 2011 at 5:29 PM

pilamaye on May 17, 2011 at 5:25 PM

I agree with that aphorism, but Arnold’s behavioral pattern was well established long before he had any power.

In order to marry him, Shriver had to be either completely brain-dead or power-hungry. Probably some of both.

Splashman on May 17, 2011 at 5:30 PM

FYPI (For your prurient interest):

cynccook on May 17, 2011 at 5:30 PM

And he was a lousy governor.

Cindy Munford on May 17, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Howard Beale just gave him a humorous salute and then moved on.

MJBrutus on May 17, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I suspect Maria, with her Kennedy connections knew all about it. And she stayed with Arnie as long as he was useful politically.

MetaThought on May 17, 2011 at 4:56 PM

THIS.

C’mon people. Arnie was a body builder AND a movie star. A member of, not one, but TWO categories of human beings that are replete with the biggest narcissists on the planet. With people like Arnie, it’s ALL ABOUT ME! She knew what she was in for long before she married him. If not, then she must be one of the biggest morons on earth.

My collie says:

So Arnie was SPENT (politically) and simply outlived his usefulness to the Kennedy clan?

Ockham’s razor, collie. It’s the simplest and, therefore, the most plausible explanation.

CyberCipher on May 17, 2011 at 5:44 PM

pilamaye on May 17, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Nah, at least it was consenting. I say the pride goes to the Frenchie from the IMF.

MJBrutus on May 17, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Yep, the Dems in Caulifohrniah must have known about this and had him by the ‘nards the whole time he was Governator. No wonder he was so lame.
Ugh. Now we have “flush it down Brown” trying to raise property taxes and effectively nuke our state’s GDP.

NTWR on May 17, 2011 at 5:48 PM

NTWR on May 17, 2011 at 5:48 PM

what GDP? From printing IOU notes?

hanzblinx on May 17, 2011 at 5:55 PM

NTWR on May 17, 2011 at 5:48 PM

I’d believe that except even after he left office he’s still talking like Nancy Pelosi. He was a libtard on his own, Dems didn’t need to blackmail hi,.

angryed on May 17, 2011 at 6:00 PM

jp on May 17, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Libs have to be fit to be tied over this; they are screaming at their oppo-reseach PIs and demanding to know how this was missed. I expect the old media will also be doing a top-to-bottom review of procedures to find what went wrong. This could have sunk Arn and they missed it.

slickwillie2001 on May 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM

And he was a lousy governor.

Cindy Munford on May 17, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Don’t blame me, I voted for Tom McClintock…

OmahaConservative on May 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM

slickwillie2001 on May 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Arnie was the MSM’s and Dems’ best friend. He was the perfect governor. An ultra lib. But also a GOPer. It was a 2 for 1. They got the liberal bills signed and they could still use him as a whipping boy for fundraising.

angryed on May 17, 2011 at 6:10 PM

CNN leaves out Eliot Spitzer from own report.

Communist
News

Schadenfreude on May 17, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Don’t blame me, I voted for Tom McClintock…

OmahaConservative on May 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM

..how could you do that? Did they install an out-of-state voting booth in the bar at Johnny’s?

The War Planner on May 17, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Do these people not know how Arny lived his life.

This shocks them? Really?

catmman on May 17, 2011 at 6:40 PM

And to think we could’ve had that ol’ fuddy duddy Tom McClintock as governor.

I’ll be kicking myself in the ass forever on that one.

The Ugly American on May 17, 2011 at 4:42 PM

One of the biggest mistakes I’ve ever made voting, too.

trigon on May 17, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Hey, does this mean that Arnold Schwarzenegger action figures are worth more money now?

Where’s the HumpBot when you need him? It? Whatever….

CatchAll on May 17, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Fitting that Allah’s title refers to the title song of Eyes Wide Shut.

John the Libertarian on May 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Where’s Gloria Alred? She’s sleeping on the job!

OxyCon on May 17, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Don’t blame me, I voted for Tom McClintock…

OmahaConservative on May 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM

The War Planner on May 17, 2011 at 6:39 PM

I lived in San Diego from Aug 1980-Sept 2005. Was not present for Ahhhnuld’s re-election vote or Sen Ma’am’s further Bullsh!t.
Sooooo glad I shook the CA dust off my feet and returned to my home, Omaha…

OmahaConservative on May 17, 2011 at 7:02 PM

And to think we could’ve had that ol’ fuddy duddy Tom McClintock as governor.

I’ll be kicking myself in the ass forever on that one.

The Ugly American on May 17, 2011 at 4:42 PM

One of the biggest mistakes I’ve ever made voting, too.

trigon on May 17, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Shame on both of you.
And my cousin Sandy in Fresno too…
What a circus that recall of GrayOut Davis was.
Cruz Bustamante, Arrianna Huffington, Arnold, Tom Mc, that p0rn wh0re, et al….

OmahaConservative on May 17, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Wow. He continues to prove that I can think less of him than I did yesterday.

Esthier on May 17, 2011 at 7:22 PM

This is absolutely VIRAL out here in SOCAL…

Khun Joe on May 17, 2011 at 7:24 PM

BABYGATE!

ProudPalinFan on May 17, 2011 at 7:37 PM

This is absolutely VIRAL out here in SOCAL…

Khun Joe on May 17, 2011 at 7:24 PM

If there’s a smog problem in Cali imagine all the garbage cans burning Guv stuff, movies, etc. Bonfire! Boy oh boy I am almost afraid to go to TMZ.

ProudPalinFan on May 17, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Splashman on May 17, 2011 at 5:30 PM

She is part of the Kennedy clan.

‘Nuff said!

pilamaye on May 17, 2011 at 7:42 PM

I dont know what the fuss is ? its not like this is all new to her, she is a kennedy after all!.
and in defense of aunuld ( whom I cannot stand) I wouldn’t do skeletor either.

ColdWarrior57 on May 17, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Who really cares?
HE IS BEHAVING just like his uncle’s in law.
Who was the bag-O-bones Maria sleeping with during this time?
YAWN, another Kennedy scandal…

OmahaConservative on May 17, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Wonder what his come-on line was.

It had to have been “I’m Ah-Nuld! And I’m here to PUMP (Clap hands) YOU UP!

pilamaye on May 17, 2011 at 7:51 PM

CyberCipher on May 17, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Uh… I’ll go along with the bold part… She is a Kennedy woman after all. Remember what happen when we were dazzled by Princess Caroline as she screen tested for the New York Senate seat after Hillary had used it… Typical.

RalphyBoy on May 17, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Any Kennedy “shocked” at any kind of scandal would be analogous to a Mafia Don squeamish at the thought of violence. The truth is that The Ahhnold, the proverbial muscle-bound Dumb Cluck, flopped as governor and his political (and acting) careers are over. Infidelity is the perfect excuse to chuck this “loser” and retire on community property proceeds. With that kind of money an aging Kennedy chick can have a handsome boy-toy or two or three.

MaiDee on May 17, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Oh, big deal.
He effed somebody.
She told him she was pregnant.
He supported the child.
He supported the child and allowed the woman to work to retirement.
He didn’t destroy his family to clear his conscience and give you
text troll punks a thrill.
Now its out after he has been a Governor, hell, he kicks Sara’s ass.

:: ))

Observation on May 17, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Sooooo glad I shook the CA dust off my feet and returned to my home, Omaha…

OmahaConservative on May 17, 2011 at 7:02 PM

..was at Offutt (Bellevue) from 1969-1973 and could not stand the Midwest and Omaha in particular. Being a SoCal kid, I just had to get back to the surf and the babes.

But lately, with Flush-it-down Brown re-in-charge, I have been thinking..

..how were the waves on the banks of the Missouri today, anyway?

The War Planner on May 17, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Now its out after he has been a Governor, hell, he kicks Sara’s ass.

:: ))

Observation on May 17, 2011 at 10:19 PM

..I think it’s time for you to go back on your meds.

The War Planner on May 17, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Oh, big deal.
He effed somebody.
She told him she was pregnant.
He supported the child.
He supported the child and allowed the woman to work to retirement.
He didn’t destroy his family to clear his conscience and give you
text troll punks a thrill.
Now its out after he has been a Governor, hell, he kicks Sara’s ass.

:: ))

Observation on May 17, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Do the nurses there on the floor know that you’re using the computer at their desk?

kingsjester on May 17, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Ahhnud is a cad.

Why do American women always blame only the cheating man? Why didn’t The View gals come down on the female staffer also? It takes two to tango. Actually, I know the answer to my question, but it is very politically incorrect. So, I won’t post it, tonight anyway.

JimP on May 17, 2011 at 10:40 PM

He brought the child to term.

Arnold should be the poster child for the pro-life movement.

rickyricardo on May 17, 2011 at 11:32 PM

and in defense of aunuld ( whom I cannot stand) I wouldn’t do skeletor either.

ColdWarrior57 on May 17, 2011 at 7:45 PM

I was wondering the same thing, but then realized that she is a female Kennedy who was cheated on by her equally famous husband.

Most of the Kennedy cheating has been Kennedy men cheating on their wives, who only became “Kennedys” after marriage.

But how many times in the past has a Kennedy woman been cheated on by her husband, and then kicked him out of the house?

Del Dolemonte on May 17, 2011 at 11:56 PM

I wonder how his 10 year old kid feels when he hears his dad say that he “made a mistake” and “did a bad thing” and has regrets and whatnot.

To a ten year old that’s basically like looking him in the face and saying “you’re a mistake, I did a bad thing in creating you, I have regrets. I wish you’d never been born.” Not exactly the kind of thing you should be telling your kid…especially not in front of the whole world.

Not only is Arnold a terrible husband, he’s clearly a deranged father.

dczombie on May 18, 2011 at 10:04 AM

He won’t be back is right. And while he was here, he reeeeeeally overstayed his welcome.

SukieTawdry on May 18, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Isnt she a kennedy? You think she would expect this type of thing. Oh its only men born with the Kennedy name who get the blind eye and the shoulder shrug.

Greed on May 19, 2011 at 5:29 PM