Video: Transparency on parade!

posted at 10:55 am on May 16, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

This video comes courtesy of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, which was a little surprised to see a White House aide claim the need for secrecy when it comes to a proposed Executive Order on transparency. Barack Obama wants more transparency on political contributions from executives at government contractors, but apparently his staff believes in “transparency for thee, opacity for we” in the West Wing. Here’s Daniel Gordon attempting to explain that there isn’t any irony at all in invoking executive privilege over their efforts to promulgate an unprecedented intrusion into political thought in the private sector:

“I think there are discussions, even about transparency and developing rules about transparency that we need to be able to have quietly and behind closed doors.” – Daniel Gordon, White House staff

Comments

Arrogance, thy name is Obama.

Breathtakingly so.

VelvetElvis on May 16, 2011 at 10:58 AM

When it suits them, they talk about the need for privacy. When it suits them, they talk about the need for transparency. Transparency is the opposite of privacy.

gryphon202 on May 16, 2011 at 10:59 AM

This EO proposal sounds like an attempt to blackmail industry.

OldEnglish on May 16, 2011 at 11:00 AM

A story you won’t hear on TV.

“WH hides transparency initiative”

I’m reminded of a song:

It rained so hard the day I left, the weather is was dry,
It was so hot, I froze to death, Suzannah don’t you cry….

BobMbx on May 16, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I think this president, and his policies, are very transparent…

right2bright on May 16, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Barry receives an award for transparency and good-government in an undisclosed ceremony behind closed doors at the White House just six weeks ago and somehow the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee is ‘a little surprised’ to see a claim to secrecy by Barry when it comes to a proposed Executive Order on transparency.

Yeah. A real shocker.

FlatFoot on May 16, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Our tyrant has to get all his ducks in order before campaign season. He’s letting everyone know they have to pay to play.

Do the Dems in Congress have any integrity left, will they allow this to stand? If not out of virtue, do any at least have enough foresight to see that this will come back to bite them in the behind?

obladioblada on May 16, 2011 at 11:07 AM

If you say it fast enough, it makes sense.

a capella on May 16, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I look forward to the day these people are led out of the WH in handcuffs.

VegasRick on May 16, 2011 at 11:09 AM

That picture of bho makes him look like a spoiled brat that mom told him he couldn’t have his ice cream and he is pouting! I really don’t like bho at all!
L

letget on May 16, 2011 at 11:10 AM

“Let me be clear as mud. Transparency…”

cartooner on May 16, 2011 at 11:10 AM

@right2bright

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not.

Here’s a simple test: Can you please tell me how the Govt decides who gets an Obamacare exemption and who does not?

Fish on May 16, 2011 at 11:11 AM

obladioblada on May 16, 2011 at 11:07 AM

That is the question that puzzles me, too. I mean, not all Dems are bad (seriously)…we just disagree on policy and philosophy. But this kind of arrogance just gives the populace the middle finger, and we won’t stand for it…regardless of which side of the aisle we’re on.

search4truth on May 16, 2011 at 11:11 AM

I think this president, and his policies, are very transparent…

right2bright on May 16, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Yes, this.

SouthernGent on May 16, 2011 at 11:12 AM

At least the clothes this emperor wears have become transparent.

cartooner on May 16, 2011 at 11:12 AM

It is wrong to assume that “transparency” meant that you would know, or be privy to, information that you previously did not know. That is not what it means.

ted c on May 16, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Why did that guy even bother to show up if he wasn’t going to answer anything?

That one congressman looked like he was ready to jump over the counter and shake the guy.

gophergirl on May 16, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I look forward to the day these people are led out of the WH in handcuffs.

VegasRick on May 16, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Yes! PERP WALK!

Timothy S. Carlson on May 16, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Look out there’s a dead cat bouncing…

Gallup has The One back to 48%, right where he was pre-Osama assassination. That didn’t last very long now did it?

angryed on May 16, 2011 at 11:14 AM

I look forward to the day these people are led out of the WH in handcuffs.

VegasRick on May 16, 2011 at 11:09 AM

I,too, am looking forward to the perp walk.

tim c on May 16, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Look out there’s a dead cat bouncing…

angryed on May 16, 2011 at 11:14 AM

48%?

*VR shakes his head.

VegasRick on May 16, 2011 at 11:18 AM

@right2bright

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not.

Fish on May 16, 2011 at 11:11 AM

He was not being sarcastic.

MackDaddy’s goals are clear. He wants to be the dictator of a marxist run country.

davidk on May 16, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Heh…Obama’s “transparency” reminds me of that Ninja Parade…kinda like you know it’s there, but can’t see it.

JetBoy on May 16, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I quite look forward to the day after inauguration the new Conservative Republican president rescinds and revokes all these EO’s.

NJ Red on May 16, 2011 at 11:22 AM

a capella on May 16, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Now that was funny!

ORrighty on May 16, 2011 at 11:26 AM

OT only slightly: We’ve reached the debt limit. Emergency actions are being implemented.

I hope to see a post soon.

Dusty on May 16, 2011 at 11:26 AM

‘in my best Obama voice’

As I have said in the past the only thing you need to see is that “This whole f*ckin country is my grift now, you earn when I say you earn. Until then everything gets kicked to the top. Another thing, if you have anything to say to me again you go through Holder.”

Obama was Hoffa’s best student.

MJZZZ on May 16, 2011 at 11:27 AM

48%?

*VR shakes his head.

VegasRick on May 16, 2011 at 11:18 AM

51% voted for him. Now only 48% approval, according to Gallup (which is skewed), so it is probably more like the low 40s. Bad news for Obamao. It’s so bad here in Florida that many people who voted for Obamao won’t admit to it now.

Timothy S. Carlson on May 16, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Well, if you subscribe to the Obama administration’s definition of transparency, this makes perfect sense:

Everything we do is need to know. As in, you don’t need to know.

Simple…

catmman on May 16, 2011 at 11:29 AM

“I don’t feel comfortable…”

Oh, so this is about comfort, not transparency. Funny thing, that. Shall we address how uncomfortable the Obama administration’s policies are making the private sector?

Maybe future hearings involving Barry’s pals should be held at exclusive spas and resorts, so they don’t feel uncomfortable.

Christien on May 16, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Why don’t the Republicans ever play hard ball? On this issue there is even democrat support. Boehner could say: “Until you, Obama, drop all discussion of this proposed executive order and publicly announce that you will never again propose it or anything like it, we are going to withdraw from any discussion of raising the budget ceiling”?

GaltBlvnAtty on May 16, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Dusty on May 16, 2011 at 11:26 AM

“Emergency action” equals hang on to your wallet and your Constitution because the Left is going to try to relieve you of both at any moment.

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Years ago, there was a website called Famous Idiot, where they would quote a leftwing showbiz type, or a politician saying something stupid. It was the first blog I ever visited on a daily basis (it was around even before the word blog).

On occasions like this, I really miss it. I think this video would be perfect for them.

Johnny 100 Pesos on May 16, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Obama is about as transparent as Mike Huckabee.

Conservative Samizdat on May 16, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Cannot congress subpoena this tool, and make him talk?

Rebar on May 16, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Timothy S. Carlson on May 16, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Thanks for making my morning, I don’t get why this guy is not around 12% approval but I guess drugs and welfare props up those #’s.

VegasRick on May 16, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Ed, I think you can skip next weekend’s “Obamateurism of the Week” contest; this has got to be an automatic winner.

irishspy on May 16, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I understood their case to be the Executive Order being discussed is only in a “draft” phase, and he won’t talk about it until it’s “finished”. That, anyway, is their position. To me in indicates a true “Us vs. Them” mentality. They won’t reveal what they’re thinking, because it might give others some kind of leverage or advantage. The govt is SUPPOSED to be working together with others, not hiding their thought process to avoid criticism.

Paul-Cincy on May 16, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Just to be “transparent” in my train of thought…

Is it wrong to want the moronic Mr. Gordon and his Jug-Eared Dope of a boss to be hit by a truck?

Tim_CA on May 16, 2011 at 11:35 AM

[Cindy Munford on May 16, 2011 at 11:30 AM]

LOL. That’s about right, but we’ll see. I was half expecting the WH to just ignore the limit just to see what Congress could/would do. As it is they are postponing some pension funding (and maybe some other things, I didn’t read it through yet) so I’d be interested in some analysis of what Administration is doing. But I’m not seeing any legs on the story much of anywhere and wonder why.

Dusty on May 16, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Just to be “transparent” in my train of thought…

Tim_CA on May 16, 2011 at 11:35 AM

VegasRick on May 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM

“I don’t feel comfortable…”

I’m collecting funds to buy a Lazy-Boy recliner for use at Congressional and Senatorial hearings. Who’s with me?!

Shy Guy on May 16, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Barack Onbama is becoming more and more like Joseph Stalin.

HalJordan on May 16, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Oops.

Obama’s administration of looters and thugs got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Good Lt on May 16, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Do you know what?

I am starting to think that, perhaps Satan exists and has take on the form of Barack Hussein Obama II Barry Soetoro Idi Amin.

How else can a man as incompetent, rude, arrogant, condescending, ugly, mean spirited, selfish, self absorbed, narcissistic, crude, vicious, disrespectful, venemous, vindictive, dishonest, salacious, disingenuous, manipulative, off putting, distrustful as The Messiah, Savior of Mankind, The One, Mister Hope and Change, Barrack Barry Soetoro Hussein Obama II Idi Amin have risen to the position of President of the United States, and, by his ownwords and actions, virtually singlehandedly destoryed ournation’s economy, security, values, morals, mores, and more, pitted person against person, race against race, class against class, and so forth, and still be so beloved by people and even expected to win a reelection bid in 2012?

This man is over rated, under whelming, not in any way a leader, a lousy communitator, a terrible speaker – even though were are supposed to believe what we are told by pundits, the press, the entertainment industry, et al, that he is supposed to be a great orator – no, he isn’t!

We are repeatedly fed the propaganda that Obama is a very likeable guy. No, he isn’t. He is repulsive! He is the type of person I would be put off by in his mannerisms, his appearance, his method of speech, the sound of his voice, the offensive look on his face, his dishonesty, and his extreme self centeredness.

It isn’t his racial history which bothers me. I am of mixed race, my wife is a member of one of the smallest minorities living in the USA. When it comes to blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Arabs, Caucasians, etc., there are so many brighter, more pleasant, more intelligent, more honest, more trustworthy individuals than Barack Barry Soetor Hussein Obama II Idi Amin. It isn’t a matter of race, nationality, language, income level, or education level. It is a matter of the individual who is terribly offensive and repulsive, especially after more than 2 years of his destructiveness and his poisonous diatribes and actions.

Yes, Obama could be Satan in human form, for how else can he get by and be praised and applauded by so many after he has such an horrific stench about him, and such an air of malevolence, destructiveness, deception, dishonesty, and vindictivness.

William2006 on May 16, 2011 at 11:44 AM

“…touch tones of this presidency.”???
ET phone home.

Open The Door on May 16, 2011 at 11:44 AM

@right2bright

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not.

Fish on May 16, 2011 at 11:11 AM
He was not being sarcastic.

davidk on May 16, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Crystal clear.
He hates America.
He wants to take her down a peg. Or two.
Or altogether.

Badger40 on May 16, 2011 at 11:45 AM

…an unprecedented intrusion into political thought in the private sector

Un-Constitutional. Who will lead the challenge?

petefrt on May 16, 2011 at 11:46 AM

William2006 on May 16, 2011 at 11:44 AM

That pretty sums up any evil person I’ve ever met.

Badger40 on May 16, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Un-Constitutional. Who will lead the challenge?

petefrt on May 16, 2011 at 11:46 AM

NO ONE.
And that is the problem.

Badger40 on May 16, 2011 at 11:47 AM

If they’re thinking of a new Executive Order, wouldn’t you think they’d be proud of it? Wouldn’t you talk the idea up, explain how it beneficial? Why WOULDN’T you? If your motives weren’t honorable, that’s why.

Paul-Cincy on May 16, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Someone tell Obama that “1984″ was a warning about the menaces of totalitarianism and not a “How To’ book.

NickDeringer on May 16, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I’m afraid of that too. Probably the only thing slowing him up is the 2012 election. But if he wins a second term…

petefrt on May 16, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Badger40 on May 16, 2011 at 11:47 AM

So it appears.

petefrt on May 16, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Are you going to believe me or those lying eyes and ears.

rjoco1 on May 16, 2011 at 11:58 AM

petefrt on May 16, 2011 at 11:52 AM

We have to take Congress and with enough people to account for squishes. I don’t know if it’s possible but we need to work hard.

Cindy Munford on May 16, 2011 at 12:01 PM

William2006 on May 16, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Nicely written.
If he is not the devil he is at least an agent of marxism or communism who is intent on destroying the United States. Either way, he is evil.

GaltBlvnAtty on May 16, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Let me say this clearly, transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstone of this presidency.

Let me say this clearly, healthcare will be the touchstone of this presidency.

Let me say this clearly, the deficit will be the touchstone of this presidency.

Let me say this clearly, unemployment and jobs will be the touchstone of this presidency.

Let me say this clearly, the environment and global warming/cooling will be the touchstone of this presidency.

Let me say this clearly, immigration will be the touchstone of this presidency.

Let me say this clearly, getting bin Laden will be the touchstone of this presidency.

Let me say this clearly, restoring America’s standing in the world will be the touchstone of this presidency.

Let me say this clearly, getting re-elected for four more years and getting my friends cushy jobs will be the touchstone of this presidency.

Mo_mac on May 16, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Yeah. A real shocker.

FlatFoot on May 16, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I believe they said they gave him the award for things he said he was going to do, not for anything he’s done yet, and that they hoped he’d follow through on some of them in the future. Very Nobelesque.

Patrick S on May 16, 2011 at 12:05 PM

William2006 on May 16, 2011 at 11:44 AM

I would suspect that the devil himself would be a little more intelligent. Little Bammie is an idiot. That doesn’t mean he’s not a radical Marxist though, in fact to be a Marxist you have to be mentally deficient.

slickwillie2001 on May 16, 2011 at 12:09 PM

“Comrades!” he cried. “You do not imagine, I hope, that we pigs are doing this in a spirit of selfishness and privilege? Many of us actually dislike milk and apples. I dislike them myself. Our sole object in taking these things is to preserve our health. Milk and apples (this has been proved by Science, comrades) contain substances absolutely necessary to the well-being of a pig. We pigs are brainworkers. The whole management and organization of this farm depend on us. Day and night we are watching over your welfare. It is for your sake that we drink that milk and eat those apples.”

- G. Orwell

TugboatPhil on May 16, 2011 at 12:10 PM

They are OUR DOORS!

Lock this guy up!

golfmann on May 16, 2011 at 12:16 PM

………….and still be so beloved by people and even expected to win a reelection bid in 2012?

I have a hard time beleiving (without a Significant improvement in the economy and unemployment) that this Dufus will be re-elected.

People are smarter than that. I was in college during the Carter Admin.

We certainly weren’t stupid at the end of his first term….I’d have voted for a sack of rocks over that dumb@ss.

Tim_CA on May 16, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Obama, and company do realize who gives the money that pays their paychecks…..right??????

capejasmine on May 16, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Talking out both sides of his mouth!

mizflame98 on May 16, 2011 at 12:50 PM

TRUMP SAYS HE WON’T RUN, CUZ HE MIGHT WIN !

Hehehe.

pambi on May 16, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Forget the interest on the debt. Forget the unfunded entitlement liabilities. We’re going to go broke paying royalties to the Orwell estate.

Stephen Macklin on May 16, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Something transparent is invisible; i,e, it cannot be seen and if something cannot be seen, it must be hidden. Got it? Why do you even bother to ask questions?

KW64 on May 16, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Not shocking at all coming from this Administration though it doesn’t make it any less infuriating.

Yakko77 on May 16, 2011 at 1:06 PM

VegasRick on May 16, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Polls have a 2-1 margin of democrats answering. I’m so tired of hearing what the democrats like.

tinkerthinker on May 16, 2011 at 1:10 PM

OT : in other news … Despite the disengenousness of his comments,
Oil prices fall after the Prez ‘says’ he’s willing to drill …

SNORT !

pambi on May 16, 2011 at 1:31 PM

“I don’t feel comfortable…”

Shy Guy on May 16, 2011 at 11:38 AM

“So you think you are strong because you can survive the soft cushions. Well, we shall see. Biggles! Put her in the Comfy Chair!”

Ditkaca on May 16, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Into action folks. Do everything you can to make sure every one of these horrible communist, America haters are flushed from our government. From Barry down to the racist DMV clerk. Get them ALL out.

frizzbee on May 16, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Barry excels at talking out of both sides of his mouth.

GarandFan on May 16, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Timothy S. Carlson on May 16, 2011 at 11:27 AM

..not to be a blue sky kinda guy, here, but a lot of the 48% is due to the Bradley Effect.

The War Planner on May 16, 2011 at 3:26 PM

So it appears.

petefrt on May 16, 2011 at 11:54 AM

And if you look over on the Hoosier thread, you’ll notice GM will definitely not be someone to stand uo against any tyranny.

Badger40 on May 16, 2011 at 4:04 PM

How about being as transparent about Bin Laden and CIA interrogation as about transparency?

It’s all about the O(bama)-pacity.

Steve Z on May 16, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Speaking of transparency, what do you make of this?

disa on May 16, 2011 at 5:36 PM

He even denies the irony in this. How can you deny the obvious irony in secret transparency discussions?

disa on May 16, 2011 at 5:42 PM

I keep waiting for it to sink in to more of the 40 some percent of Obama supporters that his whole Presidency is based on a pack of deliberate lies.

DaMav on May 16, 2011 at 8:41 PM

TRUMP SAYS HE WON’T RUN, CUZ HE MIGHT WIN !

Hehehe.

pambi on May 16, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Vintage Øbama. He read it off Øbama‘s teleprompter.

petefrt on May 16, 2011 at 8:55 PM