Quotes of the day

posted at 10:45 pm on May 16, 2011 by Allahpundit

“‘It’s absolutely moved the needle in the political landscape,’ said Rep. Steve Israel (D., N.Y.), who heads the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, noting that all but four House Republicans voted for Mr. Ryan’s plan last month.

“‘Whenever you get a far-right Republican like Newt Gingrich saying House Republicans are too far to the right, we will remind people of that.’ The DCCC, which coordinates the Democratic House races, said Monday it is launching automated phone calls in 20 districts saying that people between 44 and 54 have already paid into Medicare for years and wouldn’t get all the benefits they deserve under Mr. Ryan’s plan.

“The Gingrich broadside also could undercut the GOP bargaining position in debt-cutting talks being led by Vice President Joseph Biden. The government hit its debt limit of $14.29 trillion Monday, and lawmakers and the administration are working to craft a deficit-cutting plan that would be linked to an increase in the legal borrowing limit.

“Republicans say Mr. Ryan’s Medicare plan should be part of those talks, though earlier this month they seemed to back away from that insistence before reaffirming it. A prominent Republican like Mr. Gingrich slamming the plan could hurt that position.”

***
“In an interview with us yesterday, Mr. Gingrich conceded that he ‘probably used too strong language’ on TV but that ‘I have thought about this for a long time and I am very, very worried.’ He explained that he was trying to articulate ‘a political strategy for long-term, sustainable change’ and that Mr. Ryan ought to have focused on ‘incentives rather than punishments’ and ‘the right to choose versus being forced to choose.’ He added that ‘I think it would be politically catastrophic to pass the bill in its current form’ at a moment when conservatives have an opportunity ‘to break the left for the first time since 1932.’

“The irony is that Mr. Gingrich’s own history of political failure on health care has made Mr. Ryan’s proposals all the more necessary…

“Yet now he is trashing Mr. Ryan for thinking far more deeply about health care, and in a far more principled fashion, than Mr. Gingrich ever has. The episode reveals the Georgian’s weakness as a candidate, and especially as a potential President—to wit, his odd combination of partisan, divisive rhetoric and poll-driven policy timidity.

“In his recent campaign book, ‘To Save America,’ he describes Mr. Obama as bent on leading a ‘secular–socialist machine’ that ‘represents as great a threat to America as Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union once did.’ Mr. Ryan speaks softly but proposes policies commensurate with America’s problems. Mr. Gingrich speaks loudly but shrinks from hard choices. Who’s the ‘radical’ and who’s the real leader?”

***

***
Click the image to listen.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

BuckeyeSam on May 17, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Cindy Munford on May 17, 2011 at 12:24 AM

… et al.

You all have valid points, my friends, and please don’t get me wrong…

… I agree on most points.

All I am saying is that right or wrong, Newt brought this issue up now, and the wonderful “law of unintended consequences” puts the issue on the table…

… Don’t forget, part of that discussion is Obowmacare and all of the “waivers” for a policy that should not need any.

Meaning that it is an issue that the Left can’t bring up as another “October Surprise”…

… I said earlier in another post that I hope Newt doesn’t drop out, for any other reason that if he does represent the political elite ruling class, it would fire up the TEA Party base like no body’s business.

Don’t let the media tell us who to vote for…

… Make our candidates understand that “business as usual” isn’t going to fly anymore.

Seven Percent Solution on May 17, 2011 at 1:35 AM

This is not Newt’s first major blunder or second or even his fourth major blunder. Remember Cap-and-Trade, Amnesty, DeDe, the couch, AGW and teaming up with Ted Kennedy? Newt likes thinking so far outside the box that he ends up in the next box. Newt, switch parties, you’ll be happier. Or better yet, start your own party. The main reason his latest blunder is unforgivable is that he’s smeared ALL the Republicans running in 2012. Every single Democratic candidate is now busily working up ads saying basically the same thing: that if even a right wing bomb thrower like Newt thinks the other Republicans are extreme they must be far-right fanatics.

Fred 2 on May 17, 2011 at 1:38 AM

We’re not radical, the elites are out of touch. They have no friggin’ clue.

ronsfi on May 17, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Thanks a lot, Callista-and-I!

steebo77 on May 17, 2011 at 2:57 AM

Newt needs to take a lesson on handling hecklers from Allen West, Herman Cain, or Chris Christie. Not well played at all by Newt.

ldbgcoleman on May 17, 2011 at 3:16 AM

Palin

WordsMatter on May 17, 2011 at 4:49 AM

There are many times in the past that I have cringed when Newt spoke – particularly in the last year on Fox. He’s no conservative. Dede. Global warming. Amnesty. Botox lover. Republican basher. Mandate supporter!!!!

So, while I feel a bit sorry for him for his (most recent) f up, I ultimately don’t.

When will establishment repubs recognize that we’re just not that into you? You don’t represent us. IOW: you’re toast, along with every single one of your newts. You are not our betters. You are not intellectually superior to flyover country, populated with the best this country offers. You are not smarter than us. In fact, the stupidity you offer with your Roves and Krauts, Newts, Daniels and Romneys is mind numbingly dumb.

That the left will twist this out of all proportion, claiming newt is far right wing, is preposterous. [Wonder what newt's NWO check totals?] But that’s what they’ll do, thanks to newt and crew. Better sell a lot of books, newt. /Good luck with that, too.

Go home, sit with Callista and stew.

Opinionator on May 17, 2011 at 4:53 AM

Palin

WordsMatter on May 17, 2011 at 4:49 AM

Opinionator on May 17, 2011 at 4:54 AM

***

Don’t let the media tell us who to vote for…

Seven Percent Solution on May 17, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Look, you’re a very good commenter at HA. I stop to read you quite often. But your concerns simply don’t apply to this Gingrich fiasco.

The media ain’t telling me who to vote for. When the Ohio primary rolls around, I’ll vote for the most conservative candidate I like. And in the unlikely event Gingrich is steamrolling to an inevitable nomination, I’ll stay at home. Beyond that, I’ll vote for my GOP congresswoman, Jean Schmidt, and I’ll vote for anyone the Ohio GOP throws up against the POS liberal we have in the Senate–Sherrod Brown.

But Gingrich didn’t merely take an innocuous swipe at a current GOP position that’s very important. And it’s unclear to me how much damage that he’s done to the eventual GOP presidential nominee–I think that election will largely turn on the economy. But I sincerely believe that Gingrich has severely undermined the 18-month educational effort that Republicans need to inform congressional and senate voters about the reality of our annual deficits and our total debt and how Medicare and other entitlements affect both.

I don’t know what damage Gingrich has done with regard to the presidential race, but I think he’s severely damaged GOP member of the House and those in the Senate who are up for election in 2012.

Gingrich committed a colossal blunder. The attack ads write themselves, and they’ll be played and repeated from now until Election Day 2012. Even if Obama were to win in 2012, I was confident that the GOP would hold the House and regain the Senate. I am now worried that the door has been shut on capturing the Senate, and I’m terrified of a Democratic House. The economy will not improve between now and 2012, and scared swing voters may do some very strange things to protect what they believe they are entitled to.

Thanks, again, Newt.

BuckeyeSam on May 17, 2011 at 4:55 AM

go away Newt, go away, go away…

OmahaConservative on May 17, 2011 at 4:55 AM

Just returned from my early morning walk.

I think Gingrich’s comments are damaging enough that GOP leadership in the House and Senate need to gather en masse for a statement essentially proclaiming that Newt has gone off the reservation to join Democrats in their 18-month attempt to demagogue Republicans on this issue. Ryan has offered a perfectly reasonable revision to the Medicare system while Obama and Newt have offered nothing. If Obama and Newt choose to doze off in the crow’s nest of the U.S. economy, fine. The GOP will sound the alarm and chart a course to avoid the iceberg.

Why bother? The district next to mine is a purple district won by a POS in the Obama wave of 2008 but regained narrowly by the GOP Steve Chabot because of the Dem’s Obamacare vote. It’s very blue collar, and it has a fairly significant black constituency. I will bet any amount of money that Chabot’s Dem opponent has already decided to run and has Debbier Wasserman-Schultz scheduled to come to town to scream that Newt Gingrich has confirmed a GOP dirty secret that they are stealing grandma’s Medicare. To most low-information swing voters, Gingrich is mainstream establishment GOP. This is going to kill GOP candidates in purple areas.

The GOP needs to cut Gingrich off at the knees.

BuckeyeSam on May 17, 2011 at 5:58 AM

Newt seems not to understand that being a conservative is not about being ‘Left’ or ‘Right’ but adhering to the eternal values of the Liberty we each have as individuals to build a good life with our skills and ability to prosper by them and to protect our Rights to do so by restraining government from taking that capability from us. Government is to govern, not rule us, and when it tries to set the agenda in our lives, when it seeks to punish the rich to ‘help’ the poor then we are all impoverished as we are then told that our Liberty to build the good is now limited by the very government that was to protect the unfettered abundance that Liberty provides.

No Taxation Without Representation is the credo that brought an end to the Monarchs rule in this land, and yet our own government becomes our oppressor by removing who pays for it, thus letting the untaxed have a say on those who are taxed. That is not ‘progressive’ and it is not even ‘good’, but a pure anathema to force the rich to be the keeper of the poor: no good can come of that.

The Gadsden Flag is of the one animal that is absolutely fair to all as it gives warning that you are to back away or face the consequences from intruding upon it.

I do not like the ‘Left’ or ‘Right’ when either or both, together, expand government at the expense of personal Liberty and earning a good life without having what I make, how I make it, and how much it is worth, plus then deciding if I am worthy of paying for the government that is supposed to protect my Liberty and Freedom to use my Positive Natural Rights for the good of myself, society and all of mankind. When government does those things to restrict me in the free exercise of my Positive Natural Rights then it goes from a necessary evil to a pure evil.

This is not about healthcare, not about the debt, it is about the evil that is promulgated by government by the sweet sayings of it being ‘good’ and ‘helpful’ while impoverishing us all and diminishing the individual from citizen to subject. Many have learned the lessons of the Roman Republic and how its leaders cooed sweet words about it being a Republic even after it had become an Empire. Conservatives conserve knowledge and lessons of the past so we don’t repeat them, and that is neither ‘Left’ nor ‘Right’ nor seeks to extend out a hand to the poor by making them wards of the rich, but learning from the mistakes of history so we do not repeat them.

It isn’t about politics.

It is about survival.

ajacksonian on May 17, 2011 at 6:38 AM

and folks are going to believe you? i don’t think so…

cmsinaz on May 17, 2011 at 7:04 AM

The GOP needs to cut Gingrich off at the knees.

BuckeyeSam on May 17, 2011 at 5:58 AM

Exactly this.

You mirror the thoughts I’ve had since Sunday. I’ve never had much regard for Gingrich unlike most conservatives. I’ve watched him be touted for years for coming up with “The Contract”. I’ve also watched as he has promoted himself as the one who seemingly single-handedly got all the Republicans elected in 1994.

The fine point was put on this for me during the 2009 – 2010 election cycle. Haley Barbour was head of the RNC when all those Republicans were elected in 1994. He was head of the Republican Governors’ Assn. in the last few years and starting with the day Christie and McDonnell were elected in NJ & VA, presaging all the Republican wins in Gubernatorial races in 2010, Barbour has done the hard, behind the scenes recruiting, fundraising, and politicking necessary to secure those wins.

Fundamentally, Newt is the same as Obama when it comes to (1) taking credit for the hard work of others; and, (2) adjusting his message for whatever audience, constituency, etc., he happens to be addressing at that moment (meaning he has no true principles).

BUT IF the GOP does call him out, they are going to have to do it by pointing out that Newt is “of a bygone era — the last of the Big Republican Spenders”. Otherwise, that harpy Wasserman-Shultz will be screeching about how the Repubs are now so far right that they have disowned the far right Gingrich. To get rid of him, he has to be discredited and assigned blame for the beginning of the era when Republicans lost their way.

I look forward to the fading away of all the faux conservatives who have made their way for the last 30 years just by saying they are (but not embodying the ideal of) “Reagan Republicans”.

Greyledge Gal on May 17, 2011 at 7:07 AM

OT: More good news for the GOP. Ahnuld has a 10-year-old love child.

BuckeyeSam on May 17, 2011 at 7:13 AM

BuckeyeSam on May 17, 2011 at 7:13 AM

just saw that…for the love of pete

*shaking the head*

cmsinaz on May 17, 2011 at 7:23 AM

Seven Percent Solution on May 17, 2011 at 1:35 AM

He has a real opportunity to excel here. I didn’t want to him out, he is endlessly interesting. I think the heat here is because we didn’t expect this kind of rookie mistake.

Cindy Munford on May 17, 2011 at 7:32 AM

Thanks for the Levin link, AP. Newt sounded sincere in his explanation but I still don’t understand WTF he was thinking. Politically he should just say, ‘Hey, I had a rectal cranial inversion while talking to a liberal. Mea culpa’ (we’ve all had RCIs before), and then move on avoidnig this kind of mistake in the future. Instead he’s doing a Mitt on Romneycare.

JimP on May 17, 2011 at 7:33 AM

just saw that…for the love of pete

*shaking the head*

cmsinaz on May 17, 2011 at 7:23 AM

Joseph Kennedy, JFK, RFK, and Teddy Kennedy are rolling over in their graves…oh, wait.

BuckeyeSam on May 17, 2011 at 7:41 AM

BuckeyeSam on May 17, 2011 at 7:41 AM

heh

cmsinaz on May 17, 2011 at 7:42 AM

BuckeyeSam on May 17, 2011 at 7:13 AM

How very Hollywood, sleazy politician of him! I don’t think he is much of a threat as the face of the GOP.

Cindy Munford on May 17, 2011 at 7:43 AM

just saw that…for the love of pete

*shaking the head*

cmsinaz on May 17, 2011 at 7:23 AM

And this was before Ahrnuld for prez.

the_nile on May 17, 2011 at 7:48 AM

the_nile on May 17, 2011 at 7:48 AM

it’s sad really…

cmsinaz on May 17, 2011 at 7:50 AM

My take.

kingsjester on May 17, 2011 at 7:52 AM

Newt is going to be on Dr. Bennett’s show at 8:00.

Cindy Munford on May 17, 2011 at 7:52 AM

Cindy Munford on May 17, 2011 at 7:32 AM

Cindy Munford on May 17, 2011 at 7:43 AM

You’re a very good commenter, but I disagree with you adamantly in both cases for essentially the say reason. Arnold, I suppose, who cares. But to liberals along the West Coast and to low-information swing voters, Arnold is mainstream GOP. Hence, along with Ensign, he’s just another example of GOP hypocrisy.

But as I’ve commented at length just above, I sincerely believe Gingrich’s MTP interview will be devastating to GOP members of Congress as they try to function in the next 18 months. And it will greatly damage the prospects of Republican candidtes in purples states and purple congressional districts. I’ll bet Ohio-1 (Steve Chabot’s current seat) is already lost to the guy he beat this past November.

I couldn’t care less about Newt’s presidential prospects. He, like Arnold, is considered mainstream, establishment GOP in the eyes of uninformed swing voters. And, mark my words, they’ll believe the story that the Dems will tell–and that the media will giddily echo–namely, that Gingrich inadvertantly spilled the GOP’s dirty little secret: the GOP will steal grandma’s Medicare.

Downplay it if you choose. But Newt screwed some GOP candidates running in 2012.

BuckeyeSam on May 17, 2011 at 7:56 AM

BuckeyeSam on May 17, 2011 at 7:56 AM

He screwed fiscal responsibility too.

the_nile on May 17, 2011 at 8:00 AM

Cindy Munford on May 17, 2011 at 7:52 AM

going to suck up….Dr B was really upset yesterday

cmsinaz on May 17, 2011 at 8:04 AM

BuckeyeSam on May 17, 2011 at 7:56 AM

I agree with you on the damage Newt has wrought. I think it is and will be awful and my remark about his ability to tap dance out of this was mostly tongue in cheek. I disagree about Arnold, he left mainstream GOP when he got into the governorship and folded like a cheap suit. On everything! I know that he was dealing with a Democrat state legislature but he didn’t even put up a struggle. I do see Ensign being a real problem. Acting like a total cad and then requiring Mommy and Daddy to bail you out is not the image needed. I’m sick of the establishment push also, it’s hard to get excited. As I mentioned in another thread, all our “serious” candidates for the nomination will probably vote for Obama. No one is speaking for the people.

Cindy Munford on May 17, 2011 at 8:05 AM

kingsjester on May 17, 2011 at 7:52 AM

another fine analysis of newtie KJ

cmsinaz on May 17, 2011 at 8:06 AM

cmsinaz on May 17, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Thank you, ma’am!

kingsjester on May 17, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Newt on Bill Bennett: so full of ****. “A threat to the Washington establishment” indeed.

Marcus on May 17, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Marcus on May 17, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Dr B is laying it into him…

cmsinaz on May 17, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Newt Gingrich is a RINO enabler.

America can no longer sustain “Business as Usual” politicians like Newt.

Perhaps Obama’s base will embrace him?

Roy Rogers on May 17, 2011 at 8:18 AM

cmsinaz on May 17, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Dance Newt, dance!

Cindy Munford on May 17, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Roy Rogers on May 17, 2011 at 8:18 AM

obama/gingrich 2012?

cmsinaz on May 17, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Cindy Munford on May 17, 2011 at 8:20 AM

he sounds desperate imo…

cmsinaz on May 17, 2011 at 8:21 AM

ldbgcoleman on May 17, 2011 at 3:16 AM

The difference is that was’nt a heckler Newt was dealing with but someone who was telling the truth.

heshtesh on May 17, 2011 at 8:23 AM

It’s the Rebuke from Dubuque!

Time to hang it up, Newt! Thanks to your big fat loud mouth, you are through before you even got started!

pilamaye on May 17, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Poor Newt. All that kissing up to the Iowa corn ethanol lobbies was all for nothing.

mizflame98 on May 17, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Let’s face it, Newt was a disaster when he was in the Congress, and now as a candidate. You can’t stand on principles and try to be all things to all people. He has a center for health that has studied this situation for years. Maybe he should go back to Georgia and study something else for a few years and then write a book.

Kissmygrits on May 17, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Disaster?!!!

Newt’s candidacy is the literal embodiment of the sinking of the Titanic, the bombing of Hiroshima, and the explosion of the island of Krakatoa, all in one package!

pilamaye on May 17, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Whatever way this plays out, one thing for sure, with this “gaffe,” Newt has shown he cannot be trusted to talk on the world stage.

davidk on May 17, 2011 at 9:49 AM

cmsinaz on May 17, 2011 at 8:21 AM

I didn’t get to hear the whole thing, how did it end?

Cindy Munford on May 17, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I did too…sorry :(

cmsinaz on May 17, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Ever since Newt came up in discussions as a possible candidate I have been concerned about this very thing. For him to blast the Republicans (Tea Party mostly) for being too far Right is unforgivable. He is unelectable from the day he walked in and now he has armed the Democrats with the best weapon against the Republicans for the rest of this session and the election as well.

old war horse on May 17, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Way to go, Newt. D0uche…

Dopenstrange on May 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM

It’s the Rebuke from Dubuque!

pilamaye on May 17, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a thread-winner!

Newt has forgotten that he is no longer Speaker of the House, and that he hasn’t been elected for 13 years, and new Republican ideas and leaders have emerged to take back the House after the disasters in 2006 and 2008.

The 2010 elections were a reaction against spending and deficits, but mostly against ObamaCare and its mandates and Medicare cuts. The Ryan plan embodies most of what carried Republicans to victory in the House–sharp spending cuts, reduced deficits, and opposition to ObamaCare–what could Newt, a former House Speaker, possibly gain by undermining the plan of the House that American voters elected only 6 months ago?

Let’s face it, Ryan and Boehner are current leaders of a MAJORITY in one House of Congress, while Newt is a has-been nobody. Ryan and Boehner need to come out and forcefully denounce Newt, and state that they, and the rest of the House majority stand behind the Ryan plan, and they will support a Presidential candidate who agrees to sign it into law in 2013.

With this blunder by Newt, and Huckabee deciding not to run, and Romney saddled with his own health-care woes, this looks like the perfect time for a strong conservative to jump into the race. There may be others, but has Sarah Palin’s time finally arrived?

Steve Z on May 17, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Kissmygrits on May 17, 2011 at 9:02 AM

He could hang out with his ol’ buddy Jimmuh Carter!

Steve Z on May 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Wow. Who is that “bigger fool of yourself” guy?

Joe the Plumber part two, anyone?

RedNewEnglander on May 17, 2011 at 2:35 PM