Oh my: Romney raises $10.25 million — in a day

posted at 6:40 pm on May 16, 2011 by Allahpundit

America’s got a fee-vah and the only prescription is … Mitt Romney?

The all-but-declared Republican presidential contender, who has kept his head low for much of the year as he collected cash, raised $10.25 million in a single day Monday after bringing together his network of wealthy donors to dial for dollars in a city with no shortage of them. It’s a hefty one-day total that Romney’s team hopes will show his strength in the emerging GOP field…

During his 2008 run for the GOP nomination, Romney used more than $40 million of his own money to pay for campaigns in Iowa and New Hampshire. Victories there never materialized, and Romney ended up losing the nomination to McCain.

Romney launched that bid with a phone bank fundraiser in Boston in which 400 supporters and Romney raised more than $6.5 million. But while that event was open to reporters, Romney’s camp was much more guarded this time in Las Vegas. Aides refused to allow reporters into the phone bank room, and they wouldn’t say how much his second White House bid would cost.

Says John Podhoretz, “I remember when Romney raised $6.5 million in one day in 2007. That really worked.” His team claimed this morning that they expected to raise only $2-3 million, but those expectations were as genuine as GOP spin doctors last fall declaring that any net gain in the House over, oh, say, 20 seats would be a big deal. The lower the bar is set, the more impressive the high-hurdling seems. The thing is, Romney doesn’t need to flex his muscles with this; everyone understands that fundraising is his big strength, thanks to a stable of wealthy donors. And doing it via the same sort of event he held four years ago only invites the sort of comparison made by J-Pod about his chances.

I guess he figured that after months of bad press on the right about RomneyCare and how his frontrunner status is paper thin, it was time to force the media to say something positive. Meanwhile, though, with Huckabee now out and Iowa suddenly in play, there’s pressure on him to get in the race there and prove that he can win even in social-con strongholds — and a big fundraising day like this only increases that pressure. If he’s lapping the field on money, there’s less of an excuse him for not to compete, which means ironically that by trying to set the bar low this morning for his fundraising haul, he’s inadvertently now set it higher for states like Iowa and South Carolina where he’ll have a tough time winning.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

He’ll need many more millions to try ducking past RomneyCare. Good luck with that.

littleguy on May 17, 2011 at 10:19 AM

How much of it came from his own money? That’s what he did in 2007/2008 and claimed it was donations from others.

PhiKapMom on May 16, 2011 at 8:52 PM

All of that money came from individual donors both big and small.

Mitt Romney has not decided if he will use his personal finances to fund his campaign.

Conservative Samizdat on May 17, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Thinking of 2008 era Inevitable Hillary

juanito on May 17, 2011 at 10:43 AM

PhiKapMom on May 16, 2011 at 8:52 PM

If that were true he would be in jail. And you know that.

petunia on May 17, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Yay! A candidate who owes a lot of rich people favors – just what America is looking for!

miConsevative on May 17, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I know it’s still early in the game and most of the conjectures are kind of comical, but Romney is damaged goods for sure. We can definitely do better and hopefully we won’t get McCained again with the media and republican good old boys sticking us with a retread like Romney. He may talk a good game, but why vote for him when there’s Obama offering the same – slicked up package who talks a good game, but ends up doing something else.

mozalf on May 17, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Mitt is a tired retread. A bland and boring flip-flopper who can’t motivate the Southern base. If by some miracle or mischief he wins the nomination, he will lose gracefully to the Obungler. Kick this loser to the curb and move forward.

SurferDoc on May 17, 2011 at 11:04 AM

friends, the base of either side no longer matters. the political game is ruined. broken. both sides can blow me. what we need is a last line of defense against complete and utter economic meltdown. i know, i know “someone’s a rosy optimist.” but for reals, we need to prevent financial armageddon. this is the guy that does that. so he flipped on a social issue and flopped on another social issue. it’s economy, economy, economy. . .

TruthBeTold2 on May 17, 2011 at 12:05 PM

TruthBeTold2 on May 17, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Somehow this level of organization at this early point really does make him look like he might be the one who could fix our economy.

The man knows money.

Still not committing but this message is the first one that I have felt in my gut.

I need some perspective. I don’t want sucked in. I am not a groupie for anyone!

petunia on May 17, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Last election around, the Club hated Romney so much they spent a bunch of valuable reputatios to take him down

This time the Club fears Palin et al so much, Romney is beginning to look a lot better (to them)

First, because the Club Ducks are getting blown up like ducks at a shooting gallery, or balloons at a balloon testing ground

Second, because Romney is a pragamatic fellow, willing to forgive and forget to some extent, and willing to make deals. The proof is Massachusetts

So the question is, where is the moolah coming from. Probably not just Romney, but Club Getmo stalwarts hedging their bets

Romney has a lot of capability. If I were President I would put Romney in charge of Homeland Security. In my dream world I would get Congress to reorganize that sinkhole and return independence and redundancy to the various agencies forced to mind meld. The lack of data sharing came from the Clinton stooge and does not have to be, but lack of trust between agencies is good, not bad, for survival of the larger organism, the nation. One bad agency can spoil the bunch. Romney would be great at this, genius even. Replace the stupid bolshevik title ‘Homeland Security’ with a familiar American name like Federal Defense Link and make it the link between independent agencies. Romney has the ability to handle such a large task, and save money in the process

Romney wouldn’t be a bad President but he would be a great fixit guy. He is still a cipher on amnesty, guns etc and that is a lot of trust to give a guy

Just heard Rush’s analysis of why Newt dropped the obamacare bomb on himself. Insightful. Rush is getting better every year

entagor on May 17, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Pattosensei on May 17, 2011 at 10:02 AM

No, actually he labeled us as idiots BECAUSE we were talking about Palin.

You missed the context and the logic. Double idiocy.

nottakingsides on May 17, 2011 at 1:31 PM

I realize that the uber conservatives among us will shudder and threaten to stay home on election day, but Romney can win. America is STARVING for a capitalistic leader!

anniekc on May 16, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Well, I can only speak for this particular uber conservative, but when I say I’ll stay home rather than vote for $50 abortion/guaranteed PP seat on the board Romney, it isn’t a threat. It is a promise. But I guess that doesn’t matter, since you and the other Romney supporters are so confident he can win. He will have to do it without me and I can’t believe I’m the only one, either. I think America is starving for an honest solid conservative whose actions match their rhetoric, not a Massachusetts ‘conservative’ whose rhetoric matches the particular audience he’s addressing.

We need an economic turn around.
petunia on May 17, 2011 at 8:53 AM

it’s economy, economy, economy. . .
TruthBeTold2 on May 17, 2011 at 12:05 PM

What we need is a complete cultural turn around. Liberalism is a cancer with many tumors, not just economic, and they all eat away at the body and soul of a country, none more aggressively than social liberalism. We have embraced the sacrifice of some 25% of our nation’s children on the altar of greed and selfishness for almost 40 years. 40…a significant number…and I don’t think it is a coincidence that as we near the end of this 40 years we find ourselves on the brink of complete disaster. We were warned.

And all the economic conservatives/social liberals, moderates, or just don’t give a crap-ers, remind me of the merchants watching Babylon burn. They cry, not for the destruction of the city, but for the economic loss to themselves.

That so many can look at what is happening in our world and not see the connection baffles me. It seems so obvious and it’s all right there in that little book. We don’t just need an economic turn around; we need the protection of Divine Providence and the only way we’ll get it is a return to the founding father’s principle of appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions… It worked pretty well for them.

And rectitude-less, flip flopping Mitt Romney obviously doesn’t do that.

pannw on May 17, 2011 at 1:46 PM

No doubt he can raise money, he has a lot of big dollar cronies, and he gave away big dollars to get those “supporters”…and if ever their was a chance a person like him could win, it would be now with Obama and his lack of support.
But even with that, Romney won’t win, that’s the sad part, it isn’t how much money, or how talented, or if you look the part, it’s that elusive “it factor”, he is missing it, people may be forced to vote for him because of Obama, but it will be like McCain, they will look for a reason not to vote for him.

right2bright on May 17, 2011 at 2:42 PM

The man knows money.

I need some perspective. I don’t want sucked in. I am not a groupie for anyone!

petunia on May 17, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Soros also knows money…

right2bright on May 17, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Glad to see Romney have a good day. I’m willing to support his bid. We need somebody to turn this economy around. I doubt he will implement a ObamaCare system, but I do think he will implement reforms to save our economy and bring back capitalism.

WyoMike on May 17, 2011 at 4:25 PM