Krauthammer on Gingrich: This is a capital offense against the 11th Commandment

posted at 8:38 pm on May 16, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Fox News Insider, I’m posting this mainly to give the Palin, O’Donnell, and Rush fans in the comments a chance to say “look who’s talking.”

How much longer can the beatings of Gingrich go on? Judging from this, at least another couple of days, I’d guess:

Republicans say they were largely blindsided by the comment, which came on NBC’s “Meet the Press” Sunday. But some in Congress said they’ve heard Gingrich say this before. Campbell, a staunch conservative, said that the Georgian told a group of Republicans in a closed meeting earlier this year that they shouldn’t “be messing with entitlements.”

“I’m not inclined to support somebody that makes our jobs harder rather than easier, personally,” said Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.), a member of the Budget Committee and former Republican National Committee chief of staff who considers Gingrich a serious candidate. “I don’t know what other people think.”…

“It’s typical of Newt to be whimsical,” [former Gingrich rival Dick] Armey said in a phone interview with POLITICO on Monday. “We always say: Newt always has so many great ideas. Well yeah, but then he shifts between them at such a rate it’s pretty hard to track it let alone keep up with it.”…

“My view right now is he has joined the ‘don’t care’ crowd, “Armey said. “It isn’t about the nation’s health care — the nation’s fiscal health care — it’s about [Newt’s] presidential race.”

So there’s his campaign slogan in the making. “Newt 2012: Don’t Be Messing With Entitlements.” A surefire winner with 80-85 percent of the 65-and-over vote.

Two clips for you here, first Krauthammer and then Brit Hume. If you thought the Foxies might go easy on one of their own (former) contributors, think again.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Meanwhile in Wasilla….

Lily on May 16, 2011 at 8:40 PM

A trifecta.

Trump, Huck and Newt.

Fallon on May 16, 2011 at 8:41 PM

“look who’s talking.”

sharrukin on May 16, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Also I love Dick Armey’s characterization of Newt as “whimsical.” I cannot think of a more important quality for our commander-in-chief.

cynccook on May 16, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Yeah, but no-one other than you beltway types cares, Dr K. And, you got punked by Trump. Eat your hat please.

Fortunata on May 16, 2011 at 8:44 PM

I bet you that fundraising for Newt is drying up fast… But guess who is raking in the cash….Some just as bad as Newt…

Rndguy on May 16, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Oof. And then Brit Hume calls him a “promiscuous talker.” Nice mental associations with that.

cynccook on May 16, 2011 at 8:47 PM

CK is doing what Newt did, have a double standard…

Gohawgs on May 16, 2011 at 8:47 PM

ditto

golfmann on May 16, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Newt erred.

profitsbeard on May 16, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Dear Newt,

STFU

esblowfeld on May 16, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Looks like ‘the crowd’ is going to be thinned early.

GarandFan on May 16, 2011 at 8:49 PM

My mother hangs on CK’s every word. She also bristles at the mere mention of Palin. Coincidence?

Kataklysmic on May 16, 2011 at 8:50 PM

and then a Dark Horse appeared out of nowhere…

maineconservative on May 16, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Bonsoir Le Newt.

SlaveDog on May 16, 2011 at 8:53 PM

“look who’s talking.”

Oh, wait…!

Seven Percent Solution on May 16, 2011 at 8:53 PM

they shouldn’t “be messing with entitlements.”…

Any conservative that says this IS most likely a beltway politician and not worthy of any considerable debate, nor a candidate for any office. Gingrich is still in the 90’s and has no respect for grassroots Tea Party folks who would eat him alive in a rally.

Rovin on May 16, 2011 at 8:57 PM

“…I’m posting this mainly to give the Palin, O’Donnell, and Rush fans in the comments a chance to say “look who’s talking.”

Well done, sir!

SouthernGent on May 16, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Newt’s been hanging around Al Sharpton and Arne Duncan too long.

lonestar1 on May 16, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Of all the things Reagan gave us, I got to say, that the 11 commandment is probably the one that he looks down from heaven and thinks he should have never uttered.

I have not researched his use of it, but I think it may be being taken out of context by the RINO establishment in order to keep cover for themselves. As it never factually applies or is argued that when a RINO attacks a conservative it is valid. Like I said, should research Reagan’s use of the term.

The 11 commandment needs to be amended out of the lexicon of Republican discourse. We all know the art of war saying, when your enemy is busy destroying himself, never interrupt. Well, what the 11th commandment means is that when your ally is destroying himself, never interrupt.

The Republican party has been and is still in self destruct mode, and the whole idea of not being able to point this out is just helping it continue.

Newt Gingrich is not speaking as a Republican when he makes statements like he did and has in the past. There is no constitutional power of the government to enforce a mandate on citizens spending. Attacking this self destructive behavior is in fact good the Republican party, as it sets the platform, and this part of the platform says unconstitutional mandates are not included. It is good for Gingrich because he is self destructing from making the statement, and I do not mean his chances to win nomination, but his straight out credibility as a human being.

Just say no to the 11th commandment, as it is either being misapplied or it was a big mistake by the one who uttered it.

astonerii on May 16, 2011 at 9:02 PM

If not now, WHEN?

clement on May 16, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Kataklysmic on May 16, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Are you missing a sister? That sounds like my mom.

Mutnodjmet on May 16, 2011 at 9:03 PM

This just shows that Paul Ryan is an establishment boy and the entitlements is a carrot dangled before our eyes not to cut any current spending. I think the GOP supports entitlement reform only for corporatist reasons.

promachus on May 16, 2011 at 9:04 PM

ScuzzaFavva!!! FTW!

ted c on May 16, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Iowa voter:

“Newt Gingrich, what you just did to Paul Ryan was unforgivable… You undercut him and his allies in the House. You’re an embarrassment to the party.”

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 9:06 PM

**ahem…AP may want to take a look at this, redlining on drudge right now.

can anyone say, venezuelan missile crisis??

ted c on May 16, 2011 at 9:08 PM

This is just Newt being Newt. Remember, DeDe, the red couch, Cap-and-Trade? Newt can always be depended upon to be undependable. Why in the world would anyone spend a second working for Newt? Whatever, they were hoping to get out of it would inevitably be given away in one of his efforts to obtain a tactical advantage in the next debate or primary or TV interview or poll or campaign ad.

Fred 2 on May 16, 2011 at 9:09 PM

astonerii on May 16, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Egg on my face about who Krauthammer was talking about 11 commandment about, but the rest of my argument stands.

astonerii on May 16, 2011 at 9:09 PM

News was so infatuated with Clinton while speaker that every time he met with WJC, the House Leadership had to detox him for a few hours. He would give Clinton almost anything he wanted for a pat from Bubba.

lonestar1 on May 16, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Rush starts off the beat down with a double bitch slapping. Britt softens up the doughy newt with some well placed shots to the flab and one or two to the kidney…..KHammer, working hard to restore his own credibility, delivers a breath taking round house and knocks dough boy to the canvas. Time to tap out, newtard.

David in ATL on May 16, 2011 at 9:11 PM

I don’t even want to read what he says any more. Krauthammer has become utterly useless should just get lost.

HalJordan on May 16, 2011 at 9:13 PM

I’m starting to see 4 more years coming at us down the tracks.

Kissmygrits on May 16, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Well, if he’s lost Krauthammer…/

SuperCool on May 16, 2011 at 9:14 PM

I love “The one who shall not be named” but your post made me think of this:
Meanwhile in Wasilla….

Lily on May 16, 2011 at 8:40 PM

P. Monk on May 16, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Well so much for the “smart” one

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Krauthammer nailed what made me so mad when Newt dumped on Ryans plan- it really does nothing but give aid and comfort to the political enemy (the big part of Reagans 11th Commandment).
Gingrich has shown himself to be a martinet and not trustworthy.
Loved that some guy in Iowa told him the truth to his fat face.

jjshaka on May 16, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Well, Newt, Dick Morris is a fan!

You know his tract record, though.

:-(

Marcus on May 16, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Newt has always reminded me of the Greek politician Alcibiades: a character who is brilliant and egotistical, but willing to shift with the political winds and not stay true to any particular person or cause.

PackerBronco on May 16, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Castle 2012 /

Jon Fezzik on May 16, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Gingrich has shown himself to be a martinet and not trustworthy.
Loved that some guy in Iowa told him the truth to his fat face.

jjshaka on May 16, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Oh you mean what Ck and ROVe did to COD?

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Hannity and Dick Morris are UNWATCHABLE. UNWATCHABLE.

Hannity: “Did Newt get himself in trouble?”
Morris: “Oh I don’t think so!…………..We have ten years to do this!”
Hannity: “We need to fix things now.”
Morris: “Oh, we have ten years.”

Morris is THE biggest hack.

Marcus on May 16, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Yep, the Gingrich campaign can see the Pale Horse approaching.

jaime on May 16, 2011 at 9:21 PM

serious people. If the elites have been telling us Newt is the “smart one” I sticking with the “stupid one”.

I don’t think the words mean what they think they mean

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 9:21 PM

“Newt 2012: Don’t Be Messing With Entitlements.” A surefire winner with 80-85 percent of the 65-and-over vote. – AP

Sorry, Allah. What polls are you looking at. Most of the ones I have seen, especially the ones regarding Ryan’s plan, seniors are overwhelmingly in favor of it.

Sporty1946 on May 16, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Forget about violating the Eleventh Commandment, what he said doesn’t make any sense. First of all, the creation of social security and medicare was a piece of social engineering. A reform which reduces the scope of an entitlement hardly qualifies as social engineering. Conservatives reject the welfare state even if Gingrich doesn’t. Gingrich knows his history. He’s trying to play to the middle, but he’s done it in such a ham-fisted way. I love how people always talk about how brilliant he is. Uh, sure he is. He’s brilliant if you guys say so, but he’s got a profound case of Asperger’s Syndrome to go with it. Newt is on the spectrum folks.

An Objectivist on May 16, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Kataklysmic on May 16, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Your Mom sounds like a smart, sensible woman :-)

MJBrutus on May 16, 2011 at 9:23 PM

“look who’s talking.”

sharrukin on May 16, 2011 at 8:42 PM

This.

Rebar on May 16, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Would it kill Hannity for once to be objective and call Newt out? He totally glossed over the matter. Even Bill Bennett took Newt to the woodshed.

TxAnn56 on May 16, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Oh you mean what Ck and ROVe did to COD?

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 9:19 PM

My understanding of the 11th commandment was that it was intended for politicians during primaries, not pundits.

Bee on May 16, 2011 at 9:25 PM

CK is doing what Newt did, have a double standard…

Gohawgs on May 16, 2011 at 8:47 PM

No kidding. When CK started spouting Reagan’s “11th commandment” almost sprayed coffee all over my screen.

tencole on May 16, 2011 at 9:25 PM

ted c on May 16, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Ted, what is the date that the world is supposed to end?

Interesting times we live in.

lukespapa on May 16, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Bee on May 16, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Well Paul Ryan isn’t a participant in the 2012 primaries, and probably won’t be. So that kind of torpedoes that idea, doesn’t it?

gryphon202 on May 16, 2011 at 9:27 PM

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Last time I looked ,Rove and Krauthammer aren’t running for anything.
There is a difference between a candidate and a scribe- right?

jjshaka on May 16, 2011 at 9:28 PM

…a capital offense against the 11th Commandment

Indeed it is. Inexcusable. Indefensible. Game over, Newt. I used to love ya. Now I question your integrity. Sad, but over.

petefrt on May 16, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Kataklysmic on May 16, 2011 at 8:50 PM

I like your mother very much.

petunia on May 16, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Krauthammer is right. The guy is toast.

Really, he’s just a Republican version of Joe Biden, albeit a smarter one. He speaks without thinking, and it just cost him big. Four days in, and he’s already done.

Murf76 on May 16, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Last time I looked ,Rove and Krauthammer aren’t running for anything.
There is a difference between a candidate and a scribe- right?

jjshaka on May 16, 2011 at 9:28 PM

not really esp with Rove who is invovled deeply with GOP politics at the state, congressional and Pres level.

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Daniel Morgan, via Twitter:

“Comparison: @SarahPalinUSA says Ryan plan is good start. @NewtGingrich thinks Ryan plan goes too far. You decide.”

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Morris is THE biggest hack.

Marcus on May 16, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Yes, and, Morris said something nice about Mitt Romney. What is up with that? Morris hates Mitt Romney!

And Huckabee was nice too.

I wonder if Romney is not a threat anymore or they think he will be the last man standing.

Or maybe he is dying of cancer, people get nice to dying people.

petunia on May 16, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Last time I looked ,Rove and Krauthammer aren’t running for anything.
There is a difference between a candidate and a scribe- right?

jjshaka on May 16, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Rove’s position as a political adviser kind of makes him unique amont pundits, though. Not many pundits have ever had an office at the White House.

gryphon202 on May 16, 2011 at 9:32 PM

TxAnn56 on May 16, 2011 at 9:24 PM

I think it would. I gave some thought to watching him, but I knew he will hamhandedly try to obfuscate this and it’s so clearly out of line. Decided I couldn’t take it. Just want to know, did he tell us that Newt is a great American?

stldave on May 16, 2011 at 9:33 PM

ted c on May 16, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Ted, what is the date that the world is supposed to end?

lukespapa on May 16, 2011 at 9:27 PM

I’m told that would be the day that the debt ceiling was reached.

Was that today?

Ruh roh…

petefrt on May 16, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Ted, what is the date that the world is supposed to end?

lukespapa on May 16, 2011 at 9:27 PM

This coming Saturday. I’m already drunk with lots more to finssh form the cupboar … pantstry (hic)

Screw nest … toot .,,,, newt. Grindrich. Makse know difference

Rod on May 16, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Memo to Gingrich Staffers: Keep your resumes current. You may want to circulate them before you add your current positions to them.

obladioblada on May 16, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Murf76 on May 16, 2011 at 9:31 PM

explain to me again what “smart” means. because what Newt just did was one of the most stupid things I have ever seen sinc eron Paul’s denial that he would hav eordered the OBL raid and that was the most stupid thing I had seen since mitt poured gasoline on his head and lite the match during his I’m the “father of Obamacare” speech

I’m not seeing much “smarts” out of thse we have been told are smart. I am however seeign a lot of “smarts” out of the one we have been told is “stupid”

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 9:35 PM

gryphon202 on May 16, 2011 at 9:27 PM

What did Reagan mean? My point is simply that Kraut, Rove, et al, are pundits and not “bound” by the 11th, from my limited understanding.

Bee on May 16, 2011 at 9:36 PM

What’s the over/under of newbie leaving the race early

cmsinaz on May 16, 2011 at 9:36 PM

A trifecta.

Trump, Huck and Newt.

Fallon on May 16, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Trump is for Trump. At least Huckabee didn’t attack his own party.

AshleyTKing on May 16, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Bee on May 16, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Nobody is. It’s just something he said.

MJBrutus on May 16, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Rod on May 16, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Good one. Bottoms up!

petefrt on May 16, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Everything old is Newt again.

TXUS on May 16, 2011 at 9:40 PM

MJBrutus on May 16, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Hence the quotes. I realize that. :)

Bee on May 16, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Bee on May 16, 2011 at 9:36 PM

I’m specifically referring to Gingrich’s treatment of Paul Ryan, which I find absolutely atrocious, uncalled-for, and hypocritical. I really don’t give a bloody blue waffle what Krauthammer thinks. My respect for the cabbage pounder has plummeted over the last several months.

gryphon202 on May 16, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Krauthammer is such a hypocrite!

I don’t remember him dumping on Rove when he dumped on Christine O’Donnell and K-hammer himself is guilty of dumping on Palin.

What a shod.

HondaV65 on May 16, 2011 at 9:41 PM

It’s not like I’m giving him some great compliment. My cat might actually be smarter than Joe Biden. lol

What he did was stupid. And it was also inexcusable in a politician of his experience. We expect more from guys who’ve been around the block a few times. We’re not talking about some green political ingenue here. He should have known better than to run his mouth without thinking it through.

Murf76 on May 16, 2011 at 9:42 PM

just want to know, did he tell us that Newt is a great American?

stldave on May 16, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Dick Morris did. Said Newt could “Break out of the pack!!!” and feigned ignorance at Sean was saying “might have hurt him yesterday and today”, then said “Oh, that doesn’t matter.” Dick Morris, who promised President Gore, Senator Lazio, and over 100 seats in the Congress last election “guaranteed!”.

Marcus on May 16, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Just want to know, did he tell us that Newt is a great American?

stldave on May 16, 2011 at 9:33 PM

No, but when Angela Tarantino (or something like that) said that Newt just poured gasoline on himself and set himself on fire, Hannity said that it was still early. Hannity is such a wimp.

TxAnn56 on May 16, 2011 at 9:43 PM

HondaV65 on May 16, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Psst. It’s his job to give his opinions and make judgments.

MJBrutus on May 16, 2011 at 9:43 PM

I wish Krauthammer would just leave the room. He has nothing to add to the conversation.

promachus on May 16, 2011 at 9:44 PM

cynccook on May 16, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Exactly. And Newt is a political zombie who has yet to figure out that his campaign is mortally wounded.

And an aside: I miss Brit in the anchor chair.

itzWicks on May 16, 2011 at 9:47 PM

gryphon202 on May 16, 2011 at 9:40 PM

I agree. Even with the rapid backtracking, it’s still egregious. Then he hopped on Hannity and started talking about the need to have national “conversations” and…I puked.

But I can’t say I’m with you on Kraut. Granted, I don’t watch a lot of Fox, I still don’t think he deserved the treatment he received for simply doing his job as a pundit. I might not agree with his analysis 100% of the time, but I still respect his opinion. (Totally googled cabbage pounder, by the way. heh.)

Bee on May 16, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Psst. It’s his job to give his opinions and make judgments.

MJBrutus on May 16, 2011 at 9:43 PM

And sometimes those opinions and judgments materially harm the side he claims to belong to. Krauthammer is NOT a non-partisan pundit.

gryphon202 on May 16, 2011 at 9:49 PM

He should have known better than to run his mouth without thinking it through.

Murf76 on May 16, 2011 at 9:42 PM

See I think he thought it through and said excatly what he wanted to say. I think he was stupid because he didn’t really understand the ramifications of what he was saying. Newt was trying to thread the needle. To back away from the Ryan plan to support senior’s and to steal some of mitt’s supports. He failed.

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Bee on May 16, 2011 at 9:49 PM

That, my dear Bee, is a simple difference of opinion. I can handle a difference of opinion. ;-)

gryphon202 on May 16, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that this may be just a tad to early to write off Newt…?

… There is a loooooonnnnnnggggg way to go until November 2012, and Obowma has his media machine very well funded.

Maybe we should not be eating our own so quickly…

… Newt still has the ability to pressure Obowma on other issues.

Sure, he may not win the nomination, but why help the Democrats silence his voice…?

Seven Percent Solution on May 16, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Levin verbally “puked” at that directly to his face (over the phone). Had him speechless more than once.

Marcus on May 16, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Seven Percent Solution on May 16, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Newt’s unsuitability for elected office as it stands now is completely irrespective of any Democratic narrative the donks might cook up between now and Nov. ’12. Newt cooked his own goose, and the libbies will have little to do with him except pointing that out.

gryphon202 on May 16, 2011 at 9:54 PM

gryphon202 on May 16, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Nor is he a shill. The man had credibility because of it. If you want cheerleaders, listen to the people they call “strategists” rather than “analysts.”

MJBrutus on May 16, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Seven Percent Solution on May 16, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Silence his voice? As Dr. K said, every Democrat is going to use Newt Gingrich in their campaign ads.

Marcus on May 16, 2011 at 9:55 PM

promachus on May 16, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Well actually he does: he offered his opinion that Newt is his own worst enemy. And, unlike you or me, he was paid to do so.

How about trying, “I don’t agree with Krauthammer because … ” .

Rod on May 16, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Your Mom sounds like a smart, sensible woman :-)

MJBrutus on May 16, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Actually she is shockingly uninformed. She assumes that watching Fox News 4 hours per day will help her understand politics yet I have to explain simple government and civics principles to her all the time. Poor Dear doesn’t realize Fox morphed into the Rino News Network (other than Beck) in mid ’08.

Kataklysmic on May 16, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Newt acted stupidly.

chewmeister on May 16, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Kataklysmic on May 16, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Ah yes, good old Howard Beale. Now there is a paragon of wisdom!

MJBrutus on May 16, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Seven Percent Solution on May 16, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Because he threw the guy who is speaking the truth most clearly right under the bus on NBC. Any traction he gets after saying that comment is instantly spun into “Republican voters don’t even want entitlement reform”.

stldave on May 16, 2011 at 10:00 PM

How about trying, “I don’t agree with Krauthammer because … ” .

Rod on May 16, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Just to be clear, I agree with the cabbage pounder on a lot of things. Maybe even most things. But I believe he has spoken from a standpoint of political expediency on more than one occasion, and political expediency =/= principle. And before you jump all over me for criticizing a pundit who gets paid to have an opinion, if pundits don’t have a real impact on the body politick, then why do we have punditry?

gryphon202 on May 16, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Gingrich is a brilliant man, at least he used to be.
He performed a great service to the US as speaker.

I was going to support him for President. No More. Krauthammer is right. Newt is done and he did it to himself.

Since when is balancing the budget a radical idea?
Since when is fiscal responsibility “social engineering”?

Ryan is correct, with Gingrich shooting off his mouth like that who needs the left?

The Rock on May 16, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Ah yes, good old Howard Beale. Now there is a paragon of wisdom!

MJBrutus on May 16, 2011 at 9:58 PM

The establishment fanboy doesn’t like Beck of Palin, color me shocked. I’m going to go ahead and go out on a limb and say you don’t like Rush either. I have about as much in common with you as I do a Democrat.

Kataklysmic on May 16, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Gingrich’s been drinking our of Pelosi’s glass again.

The Ugly American on May 16, 2011 at 10:03 PM