Bachmann confidants: With Huckabee out, she’s now very likely to run for president

posted at 8:03 pm on May 16, 2011 by Allahpundit

Lots of 2012 posts today, I know, but ’tis the season. Daniels will make his call this week and then the only remaining question mark will be Palin, who may yet be months away from a decision. Which is to say, at least for the summer, the field will soon be set. (Or will it?) Much like trillion-dollar deficits and nine percent unemployment, from now on just think of 2012 posts as “the new normal.”

With Huck out, Iowa social cons need a champion. Enter the Bachmann:

Senior insiders to Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann say the Republican founder of the House Tea Party caucus is now very likely to run for president.

In the wake of both Mike Huckabee and Donald Trump opting out of the 2012 race, calls to Bachmann’s offices “have been burning up our lines” according to a Bachmann confidant who marveled, “one guy called her our Margaret Thatcher!”

Bachmann has said before that she will likely make a decision by June. She unveiled a new website design Monday that highlights Team Bachmann rather than Congresswoman Bachmann.

Say it with me, veteran Hot Air readers: “You know who this helps? Mitt Romney.”

Like Bob Dole in 1996 or John McCain in 2008, Romney is an establishment-oriented candidate with serious vulnerabilities on his right flank. To get the nomination, he needs (as they needed) to prevent the emergence of a single candidate to his right. So Dole made a tactical alliance with Pat Buchanan in Lousiana, helping to eject from the race the one candidate who could theoretically have denied him the nomination by consolidating voters to his right: Phil Gramm. McCain made a tactical alliance with Mike Huckabee against the candidate against whom both of them were competing and whom both of them hated: Romney…

The candidate who could play the Buchanan/Huckabee role this time is Michele Bachmann. Like her ‘96 and ‘08 counterparts, she cannot win the nomination but can prevent anyone to the establishment candidate’s right from getting it either. (I think she has greater potential strength in the primaries than Santorum, but if he took off he could play the same role.) So watch for Romney to start making a lot of positive comments about Bachmann.

I don’t believe Romney could win a Romney-Pawlenty contest. But he would almost certainly win a Romney-Bachmann race, and could well win a Romney-Pawlenty-Bachmann race.

That’s Ramesh Ponnuru, making a point I’ve made before myself. Just one question: What’s in it for Bachmann? Why would she want to torpedo Pawlenty, whose only chance at the nomination likely requires winning Iowa? Yeah, they’re Minnesota “rivals,” but there’s no bitterness between them that I know of the way there was between Huckabee and Romney. My best guess is that it’s not about Pawlenty (or Palin) at all but about using a win in Iowa to boost her standing on the Hill, where the caucus often seems to treat her as a distraction. Three years ago, Huckabee was just some guy who’d governed Arkansas after Clinton; three years later, after winning Iowa, he’s poised to play social conservative kingmaker. Bachmann’s not going to win the nomination but she doesn’t need to in order to become a national figure.

Actually, another question. What makes anyone think Bachmann is the big beneficiary of Huckabee’s exit? All the buzz among the grassroots lately vis-a-vis current candidates is for Herman Cain. He won that Luntz focus group by a landslide a few weeks ago after the debate and he was the biggest gainer in this month’s HA online poll, far ahead of Bachmann. Nate Silver also pegged Cain as the guy who would most benefit from Huck’s departure. There’s every reason to think he’ll continue to do well at the debates too, especially in contrast with less dynamic frontrunners like Romney and Pawlenty. So why can’t Cain be this year’s Huckabee in Iowa?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

LOL — this is becoming comedy now. Everytime someone else takes a header off the cliff, the haters find someone else to latch onto in desperate hope that that person will finally be the one to eclipse Palin.

It’s not going to happen. If she gets in it, it will be Palin all the way. Deal with it!

NoLeftTurn on May 16, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Sarah did say that she would run if there were no promising candidates. By that logic, she’ll have to run!

Who is John Galt on May 16, 2011 at 8:45 PM

I would vote for her — in a D.C. moment — she would make a great part of any ticket..

wheels on May 16, 2011 at 8:47 PM

canopfor on May 16, 2011 at 8:38 PM
I like my addiction
^_^

Kini on May 16, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Kini:Haha,at first I thought it was addition!:)

canopfor on May 16, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Who is John Galt on May 16, 2011 at 8:45 PM

But there ARE promising candidates.
Cain 2012!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 16, 2011 at 8:48 PM

canopfor on May 16, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Plutonian
Affirmative Action…

annoyinglittletwerp on May 16, 2011 at 8:42 PM

annoyinglittletwerp:Community Organizer WMD,ugh!:)

canopfor on May 16, 2011 at 8:49 PM

On the local level, Bachmann’s been through the same meat-grinder as Palin has on the national level, and for longer.

RBMN on May 16, 2011 at 8:21 PM

You can’t be serious….comparing that the “meat-grinder” in Minnesota…to the national MSM “meat-grinder” that Palin has and continues to go through, are the same?

Are you seriously saying what the both of them went through are the same….and implying that since MB went through it “longer”, her skin is “thicker”?

Come back when you’re off your meds.

tencole on May 16, 2011 at 8:49 PM

wheels on May 16, 2011 at 8:47 PM

i prefer Palin to Bachmann.
Bachmann seems too much of a loose cannon.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 16, 2011 at 8:50 PM

I hope MB runs. It will be a nice way for Palin show others the difference between her leadership skills and MB congressional skills. It will also show that not all women are created the same.

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 8:50 PM

yeah but Palin isn’t a social conservative. She is a Reaganite.

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 8:44 PM

The SoCons are happy enough to call Reagan their own. But like Reagan, Palin has the charisma and optimism to play beyond that audience in a way that someone like Santorum does not.

dedalus on May 16, 2011 at 8:52 PM

oh this isn’t good:

Iowa voter:

“Newt Gingrich, what you just did to Paul Ryan was unforgivable… You undercut him and his allies in the House. You’re an embarrassment to the party.”

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 8:53 PM

i prefer Palin to Bachmann.
Bachmann seems too much of a loose cannon.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 16, 2011 at 8:50 PM

I like Palin better, too. Although I must confess to having an affinity for loose cannons. BTW–Howdy, all!

predator on May 16, 2011 at 8:54 PM

If all of the members of the political punditry class were anywhere close to being as smart as they think they are, why aren’t they doing something worthwhile rather than writing or reciting mostly nonsensical non-fact-based rhetoric?

NoNails on May 16, 2011 at 8:59 PM

predator on May 16, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Howdy back!
Btw: I must admit that my best friends over the years have been guys-rather than other women. Unless Margaret Thatcher -herself- runs or Jeanie Kirkpatrick comes back from the grave to run…I’m not going to gravitate toward chick candidates.
It is what it is.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 16, 2011 at 9:00 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 16, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Well then, you need to take a ride on the train, the Herman Cain train. All aboard!

predator on May 16, 2011 at 9:04 PM

MB is great on the stump and can make a lot of money, I’ll give you all that….but can anyone tell me any of her accomplishments while she’s been in Congress?

She’s been in Conress what 6 terms now? and if I’m not mistaken, I don’t think she’s held a chairmanship on any committee…or held any “leadership” type position her whole tenure

IMHO, MB comes across sometimes as not being the brightest bulb in the box, and speaking to dignitaries on foreign policy kind of scares me a little bit.

I think MB is trying to make a name for herself to get some kind of a “position”…..one that she was denied after the 2008 elections.
MB thought since she was the “Tea Party Candidate”, and the Tea Party DID give the congress it’s majority…she was due. But alas, she never got one and was even embarrassed in the process
To make a long story short….I think MB knows she’ll never get the nomination and she’s just out to get Boehner’s job.

tencole on May 16, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Palin can afford to wait. It’s not like she’ll miss out on all the inside-Beltway consultant mule flesh. She had her fill of that in the braindead McCain campaign, some of which baggage she’ll have to cope with again if she runs, since the lazy media never met a story it couldn’t recycle ad nauseum.

Bachmann should run too. She’d mix it up. Anyone’d be better than the melting wax figures with, or about to have, hats in the ring at the moment.

curved space on May 16, 2011 at 9:10 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 16, 2011 at 9:00 PM

SO your reservations for Palin are because of female jealousy. Got it.

promachus on May 16, 2011 at 9:11 PM

tencole on May 16, 2011 at 9:09 PM

If you’re right, I hope she’s successful. Boner’s a wimp in too many ways. He talks tough, but I’m not buying it until I actually see him come through.

predator on May 16, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Dick Morris on Hannity just thinks if Bachman is in, there is no room for Sarah. Man, he has that backwards. Too funny.

karenhasfreedom on May 16, 2011 at 9:17 PM

dedalus on May 16, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Well, Reagan was staunchly pro-life, which is THE socon tag, it seems.

I think Bachmann though is likely to flame out pretty early if she runs. Flame out or implode.

pseudoforce on May 16, 2011 at 9:18 PM

karenhasfreedom on May 16, 2011 at 9:17 PM

If Palin gets in, it sucks all the oxygen from every other candidate. Mark it down.

pseudoforce on May 16, 2011 at 9:19 PM

SO your reservations for Palin are because of female jealousy. Got it.

promachus on May 16, 2011 at 9:11 PM

I have Asperger’s-remember.

Aspie women especially are ‘wired’ differently than Neuro-typical women.
My favorite animal is a Mako shark-not a kitten- I’ve told my son that hopefully I’ll only get grandsons-because my Aspie brain doesn’t understand how a pretty and pink thing’s mind works-because I was never that way.
wired. differently.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 16, 2011 at 9:20 PM

predator on May 16, 2011 at 9:04 PM

I’m on it, Dude-but not in a ‘Herminator’ way.
That’s not how I jibe. *grin*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 16, 2011 at 9:22 PM

I hope she runs, I think she has a great story and has Presidential potential.

Speakup on May 16, 2011 at 9:31 PM

My best guess is that it’s…about using a win in Iowa to boost her standing on the Hill, where the caucus often seems to treat her as a distraction.

So she’s trying to become Establishment.

itsnotaboutme on May 16, 2011 at 9:38 PM

PLEASE!!!!!!! Obama v. Bachmann 2012: Because Goldwater didn’t get beat bad enough.

ernesto on May 16, 2011 at 9:38 PM

I still don’t think Bachmann will get in. If she runs for the nomination, loses, and then tries to run for Franken’s seat in 2014, couldn’t the perception that she is just another career politician seriously hurt her in the state that gave us Gov. Jesse Ventura? She probably cannot win in 2012, and unlike most of the field she is young and still has a political future after the next election. Why not just wait to take on Franken in 2014?

Lawdawg86 on May 16, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Come back when you’re off your meds.

tencole on May 16, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Minnesota is the martial arts school where liberals go to perfect their political assassination methods.

RBMN on May 16, 2011 at 9:42 PM

karenhasfreedom on May 16, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Remember, this was the guy who was so confident the 2008 race was going to be Condi Rice vs Hilary that he wrote a book about it.

Hate to be one of the poor saps who wasted their hard earned scratch on that…

SuperCool on May 16, 2011 at 9:45 PM

I’m late to the party. Who is Michelle Bachmann?

Seriously, though, I agree with comments above that if Palin gets in, Bachmann is history. I’m not a particular fan of Palin, but Bachmann is Palin’s understudy.

Splashman on May 16, 2011 at 9:57 PM

After the spectacle of 2008, I just don’t think a female candidate can win the presidency.

AbaddonsReign on May 16, 2011 at 10:21 PM

AbaddonsReign on May 16, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Not to mention the 2010 spectacle of Christine O’Donnell. Ugh. “I’m not a witch!” Gives me the willies.

I’m waiting for a female version of Chris Christie: physically unattractive, but fearless and sharp as a tack. But Margaret Thatcher clones are in short supply. Pity.

Palin would have had a decent shot in 2012 if she hadn’t been lured into the 2008 campaign. As it is, her negatives are just too dang high.

Splashman on May 16, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Run Baby Run!! She’s got my vote

Dollayo on May 16, 2011 at 11:30 PM

ernesto on May 16, 2011 at 9:38 PM

If Obama wins, he’ll just squeak past. You can quit your moonbat fanatasy of some Goldwater-type shellacking. Ain’t happening no matter who the GOP nominee is, especially not with 10% unemployment and $5 per gallon gas.

pseudoforce on May 17, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Bachmann should put her family in witness protection soon, the lefties will certainly be preparing to yet again showcase their tolerance for a conservative woman and everyone associated with her.

Bishop on May 16, 2011 at 8:22 PM

The left?

It’s more like “conservatives4Palin” who will showcase their tolerance for anyone not named “Sarah”.

Dreadnought on May 17, 2011 at 12:10 AM

I like Cain, BUT he’s said that he doesn’t want Obamacare repealed. His reasons…and that statement…sound far too much like those of Clyburn’s and I’m really concerned about him for that reason. As in, what ELSE isn’t a charming, capable, charismatic guy such as is Cain not telling us.

I’m really concerned about Cain’s not wanting to repeal Obamacare, that’s my (so far) only hesitation about the guy. It makes me go, hmmmm….
Lourdes on May 16, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Did I miss something he said in the last couple weeks? Because Herman Cain was staunchly behind repealing Obamacare.

I think he still is.

In fact, he was for repealing Obamacare before there was an Obamacare. lol Like in 1994 when he questioned national health care forcefully, but respectfully, to Clinton’s face at a town hall meeting debate.

In case anyone would like to see it again or doesn’t remember it here’s the video. Brought back memories for me. lol

Elisa on May 17, 2011 at 1:43 AM

God bless Michele Bachman.

If Sarah Palin was here, she’d be saying the same thing and not like hearing this good woman being trashed.

Elisa on May 17, 2011 at 1:44 AM

We need to stop eating out own and instead back up everyone who is for our cause.

Elisa on May 17, 2011 at 1:46 AM

*stop eating our own.

Elisa on May 17, 2011 at 1:46 AM

Lourdes on May 16, 2011 at 8:15 PM

I think he still is.

Elisa on May 17, 2011 at 1:43 AM

My link didn’t work. Here is the you tube link.

Cain is not a Johnie come lately on Obamacare. He was out front on it.

Elisa on May 17, 2011 at 1:49 AM

You go girl! Bachmann-Cain or Cain-Bachmann – either one works for me. Or throw Allen West into the mix…

golfer1 on May 17, 2011 at 6:47 AM

tencole on May 16, 2011 at 9:09 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head. She saw the Tea Parties as her chance. She ran to the front of the parade, grabbed the baton and called herself their “leader.” She is hardly alone in this. There is a whole class of such Jacobins. I would name another one, but too many folks here have shown that they can’t handle such talk about their “one” and I just don’t want to deal with them this AM.

MJBrutus on May 17, 2011 at 6:59 AM

Bachmann has my vote. So does Palin. We need a Constitutionalist with balls. All the others are Eunuchs…

Heard Chrissy Matthews talking about Santorum bringing home a dead fetus to show his children. I don’t know if that’s true, but if it is, the creepiness factor with that kind of Right Wing social engineering….Forget it, he’s done.

Ron Paul. I’m a Libertarian so naturally I like some of his ideas. Most of his ideas are insane. Libertarian thought doesn’t work any better than say redistributive justice, without common sense included in Liberatarian thought and policy. RP is not big on common sense. The Paul supporters are the “Libertarian” equivalent of the people passing out at Obamalinsky rallies…

Romney is this cycle’s John McCain. If he gets the nomination, I’ll of course vote for him as America can’t take four more years of Soros killing this nation from behind the Democrat(Communist)Party. I look at Romney as someone who will say anything to get elected, and of course the lesser of two evils, as in Romney v. Soros….

This is getting interesting. The only way Gingrich saves himself to me is staying in the race and beating Obama into the ground for months until he drops out. He broke the 11th Commandment and the only salvation is beating Obamalinsky like a red headed step child for many months and then dropping out endorsing a true Constitutionalist.

As I said, this is getting interesting to me. It would almost be fun if not for the fact that the survival of the US is on the line. I hope not that the Republicans win, I hope America wins by getting Soros out of the Executive Branch. And the other two branches as well…..God Bless America, with these Communist Malcontents, God knows we need all the help we can get…

adamsmith on May 17, 2011 at 7:14 AM

MJBrutus on May 17, 2011 at 6:59 AM

You are, of course, falsely & cowardly referring to the hockey grandmother from Wasilla who has publicly and explicitly said that she is -not- the Tea Party leader?

—–
3. We Don’t Need a Leader
“The tea-party movement has no leader, and … neither did the American Revolution,” thundered talk-radio host Phil Valentine, who spoke before Palin at the gala dinner. Leaving aside poor old General Washington, if there was one thing all tea partiers could agree upon it was that no one is their leader. And that was a condition Palin was happy to encourage. “This is about the people,” she said. “It isn’t about any king or queen of a tea party and it’s a lot more than any one charismatic guy with a teleprompter.”

Bettina Bibiano, a 47-year-old filmmaker from Los Angeles, said the tea-party movement doesn’t need an iconic Obama-like figure. “It’s hard for us to unify behind any one person,” she explained. “We’re not a cult.”

—–

Why do you feel compelled to obsessively lie about a private figure? Don’t you think that merely validates her supporter’s claims?

ebrown2 on May 17, 2011 at 7:22 AM

You are, of course, falsely & cowardly

ebrown2 on May 17, 2011 at 7:22 AM

Thank you for justifying my reticence.

MJBrutus on May 17, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Thank you for justifying my reticence.

MJBrutus on May 17, 2011 at 8:51 AM

You were substantively, factually wrong.

Every time I have heard Sarah Palin say anything about the Tea Party leadership role, it was usually people asking her if she was the leader of the Tea Party, and she always has said there is no one leader, it is about the people who organize and get things done on the ground.

She has done nothing but encourage and support the movement from the beginning to this day.

Brian1972 on May 17, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Lourdes on May 16, 2011 at 8:15 PM

I think you are confusing Cain with West. West made a comment about putting the repeal on the backburner or something. I’m not exactly sure as I didn’t get a chance to read the whole post or follow up in comments. But it wasn’t Cain unless I missed something else.

I would happily support Bachmann. She isn’t my first choice, but certainly won’t have me sitting at home, unlike some others.

pannw on May 17, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Thank you for justifying my reticence.

MJBrutus on May 17, 2011 at 8:51 AM

If you really didn’t want to talk about her, you wouldn’t have made that asinine allusion in the first place. As it is, you stand self-convicted of hypocrisy and obsession with the Wasilla Chillbilly, it’s just that you’re the negative image of the Palinbots.

A middle-aged hockey grandmother is -NOT-going to reverse the damage done to this country by generations of statist stupidity. To her credit, I don’t think Palin has ever claimed that to be the case, nor would she ever be stupid enough to claim to be able to heal the oceans. SP may never have heard of the legend of King Canute and the sea, but she gets the moral of the story.

ebrown2 on May 17, 2011 at 12:43 PM

You have to admit, it would be great to see Hillary see a Republican woman be the first woman president, 4 years after she was supposed to be elected. LOL

The look on her face would be worth it.

jeffn21 on May 17, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Who is John Galt

In which case, we’ll still be left with no promising candidates.

xblade on May 17, 2011 at 5:23 PM