Audio: Newt responds, says conservatives are taking him out of context; Update: Newt’s statement

posted at 11:36 am on May 16, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Did Newt Gingrich get misunderstood in his appearance on Meet the Press yesterday? That’s what Gingrich told Mike Gallagher this morning in a lengthy interview that aired live on Gallagher’s Salem Radio show. Gingrich says that conservatives have taken his remarks out of context, although he admits that the “social engineering” may have been a little too strong. He tells Gallagher that his response was to David Gregory’s question about whether Republicans should force a Medicare reform over public opposition, saying it would be the same “social engineering” mistake Democrats made with ObamaCare:

Well … maybe.  Let’s take a look at the transcript from yesterday’s MTP appearance and give the entire question and answer series.  This was the entire exchange on Medicare and Medicaid, ellipses in the original:

MR. GREGORY:What about entitlements? The Medicare trust fund, in stories that have come out over the weekend, is now going to be depleted by 2024 , five years earlier than predicted. Do you think that Republicans ought to buck the public opposition and really move forward to completely change Medicare , turn it into a voucher program where you give seniors…

REP. GINGRICH:Right.

MR. GREGORY:…some premium support and — so that they can go out and buy private insurance ?

REP. GINGRICH:I don’t think right-wing social engineering is any more desirable than left- wing social engineering . I don’t think imposing radical change from the right or the left is a very good way for a free society to operate. I think we need a national conversation to get to a better Medicare system with more choices for seniors. But there are specific things you can do . At the Center for Health Transformation , which I helped found, we published a book called “ Stop Paying the Crooks .” We thought that was a clear enough, simple enough idea, even for Washington . We — between Medicare and Medicaid , we pay between $70 billion and $120 billion a year to crooks. And IBM has agreed to help solve it, American Express has agreed to help solve it, Visa ’s agreed to help solve it. You can’t get anybody in this town to look at it. That’s, that’s almost $1 trillion over a decade. So there are things you can do to improve Medicare .

MR. GREGORY:But not what Paul Ryan is suggesting, which is completely changing Medicare .

REP. GINGRICH:I, I think that, I think, I think that that is too big a jump. I think what you want to have is a system where people voluntarily migrate to better outcomes, better solutions, better options, not one where you suddenly impose upon the — I don’t want to — I’m against Obamacare , which is imposing radical change , and I would be against a conservative imposing radical change .

Gingrich has an argument, but not a terribly convincing one.  Two weeks ago, Gingrich called the same plan “brave” and said he’d vote for it.  American public opposition to Medicare reform hasn’t undergone some sort of tectonic (or Teutonic!) shift in that period.  While Gregory in part posed the initial question as one of political strategy in the face of public opposition, the follow-up question was about Ryan’s plan specifically — which Gingrich called “radical,” although framing it once again in terms of “imposing” solutions.

Besides, the oncoming entitlement disaster can’t be avoided with incremental adjustments to the current system.  His argument on waste, abuse, and fraud is not a bad point, but it’s entirely insufficient as a solution.  Medicare will cost us a lot more than $1 trillion over the next decade in deficit spending — and Ryan’s plan makes the “waste, fraud, and abuse” a problem for insurers and the private sector to handle.

Update: Newt’s campaign put out a very brief statement on video a few minutes ago:

I am completely opposed to the Obamacare mandate on individuals. I fought it for two and half years at the Center for Health Transformation. You can see all the things we did to stop it at HealthTransformation.net. I am for the repeal of Obamacare and I am against any effort to impose a federal mandate on anyone because it is fundamentally wrong and I believe unconstitutional.

Daniel Foster at The Corner points out that Gingrich wasn’t nearly as categorical yesterday on the general topic of mandates, emphases his:

DAVID GREGORY: Now I know you’ve got big differences with what you call Obamacare, but back in 1993 on this program this is what you said about the individual mandate. Watch.

GINGRICH ON VIDEO [1993]: “I am for people, individuals — exactly like automobile insurance — individuals having health insurance and being required to have health insurance. And I am prepared to vote for a voucher system which will give individuals, on a sliding scale, a government subsidy so we ensure that everyone as individuals have health insurance.” . . .

DAVID GREGORY: You agree with Mitt Romney on this point?

NEWT GINGRICH: Well, I agree that all of us have a responsibility to pay — help pay for health care. And, and I think that there are ways to do it that make most libertarians relatively happy. I’ve said consistently we ought to have some requirement that you either have health insurance or you post a bond. . . .

DAVID GREGORY: But that is the individual mandate, is it not?

NEWT GINGRICH: It’s a variation on it.

We seem to have to parse terms a lot in order to agree that Gingrich got misunderstood yesterday, and I don’t think that voters are in a mood to mince words.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Buh Bye newt!
C’ Ya
Don’t let the door hit ya on the way out
Go away

Man, that was one fast campaign eh?

dinqua on May 16, 2011 at 12:20 PM

. . . .
On his radio program Monday morning, former Education Secretary Bill Bennett, who knows Gingrich well but is also close to Ryan, reacted angrily to Gingrich’s remarks. Referring to Ryan’s Medicare plan as “right-wing social engineering” is, Bennett said, “an unforgivable mistake, in my judgment.” Bennett went on to say that Gingrich “has taken himself out of serious consideration for the [2012] race.” [Full disclosure: I appear on, and sometimes serve as guest host of, the Bennett program.]

Gingrich’s remarks rankled for three reasons. One, they hurt the Republican plan. Two, they were particularly disdainful; Gingrich didn’t just said that he disagreed with Ryan, he referred to Ryan’s plan as “right-wing social engineering.” And three, they contradicted what Gingrich himself has said about Ryan’s budget.

To make that last point, Bennett played a clip of an interview he conducted with Gingrich on April 5, barely more than a month ago. At that time, Gingrich was full of praise for the Ryan budget. “Paul Ryan has stepped up to the plate,” Gingrich said. “This is a very, very serious budget and I think rivals with [what] John Kasich did as budget chairman in getting to a balanced budget in the 1990s, just for the scale and courage involved…”

“Paul Ryan is going to define modern conservatism at a serious level,” Gingrich continued on April 5. “You can quibble over details but the general shape of what he’s doing will define 2012 for Republicans.”

Well, not for Gingrich, at least not for now. On the air, Bennett said he has talked to Ryan about Gingrich’s remarks and that Ryan felt, in Bennett’s words, “blindsided” by the attack. Republicans are particularly angry about the timing of Gingrich’s “Meet the Press” remarks because they came the day before Ryan was scheduled to make a high-profile defense of his budget plan in a speech in Chicago. Gingrich’s attack, those Republicans say, makes it much easier for Democrats to attack Ryan, too.

Elisa on May 16, 2011 at 12:21 PM

[onlineanalyst on May 16, 2011 at 12:07 PM]

I’ll ditto that.

Dusty on May 16, 2011 at 12:21 PM

of course Newt’s intellignece could be greatly overestimated.

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Just my opinion, but I see this as having less to do with intelligence, as it does pandering to what’s popular. Say one thing one week, and then another the next week, just to keep up with the popular opinion. It’s not going to work this time around. At least not on everyone. Right Obama supporters of 2008? Right???

capejasmine on May 16, 2011 at 12:21 PM

but I don’t doubt they fear the conservative woman. without a majority of the women vote the dems will be a minority party.

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Exactly right.

And when Palin announces, there will be Palin Parties all over America.

Instead of hawking underwear, baskets, and tupperware, women will be talking about the issues of the day and how Sarah has plans to fix our country.

Once women begin to see the seriousness of our precarious national situation and hear the truth about the lefts policies and goals, they will be a strong force in 2012.

Palin Parties will be integral events in the 2012 campaign.

Ladies of HotAir, get ready your presentations.

davidk on May 16, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I come back from vaca and see the mess Newt started. Man, wow… Epic failure on the part of the establishment peeps. I guess Mitch is next.

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Minced politicians, on the other hand, are on the menu.

Steve Eggleston on May 16, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I don’t think that voters are in a mood to mince words.

Soooo not in the mood, Newt. Is this a sick strategy to get more airtime? Be unclear and provocative so we’ll have to keep coming back to you for clarification? Go away, please. NOT IN THE MOOD!

BTW, if you were watching the SC debates, the thing people liked about Herman Cain was that he was clear, plain-spoken and did not talk like a politician! The time for your kind has PASSED!

parteagirl on May 16, 2011 at 12:25 PM

REP. GINGRICH:I don’t think right-wing social engineering is any more desirable than left- wing social engineering . I don’t think imposing radical change from the right or the left is a very good way for a free society to operate.

Newt’s a liberal Republican, lets all just get along, is one of the liberal default positions when they’re cornered, its a play off another liberal cornered position, they all do it.

He got caught trying to straddle the fence, an old Republican position, how’s those splinters working out?

To save this country we can’t be apologetic about Conservatism being the only way, no straddling.

Speakup on May 16, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I think I will change my first post a little

Basically Newt set up an IED on the Road to Prosperity. Newt did a Martyrs video claiming he he was as a Moderate, not a right-wing social conservative, but the only thing is, as Newt planted the IED, it blew up.

Now Newt with his wounds is trying to say he did not plant the IED, but we have the Martyrs video.

WoosterOh on May 16, 2011 at 12:26 PM

dinqua on May 16, 2011 at 12:20 PM

LOL!!!

capejasmine on May 16, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Newt wants to be loved by the LSM…

d1carter on May 16, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Is George Soros funding Gingrich, or running his campaign for him?

capejasmine on May 16, 2011 at 12:29 PM

We need to add a “sarcasm” option to the strong, emphasis, quote, etc. tags.

mankai on May 16, 2011 at 12:16 PM

no my fault I didn’t use the /s tag in my comment.

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Inadequate. Anyway, larger issue is his inability to deal with David Gregory.

rrpjr on May 16, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Bennett continued, “And you can bet on it!”

/had to

mankai on May 16, 2011 at 12:30 PM

What is petunia‘s errr the Romney camp’s response?

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2011 at 12:32 PM

After the update,”Newt we’ll call you if we need you, and no we don’t want your number.”

tim c on May 16, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I think Romney would be the best candidate if not for Romneycare. But the simple fact is, with repeal of Obamacare one of the chief goals of the Republican party, you cannot have a GOP party leader be a passionate proponent of government health-care, and Romneycare is it’s spiritual successor.

Likewise, you cannot have the hopeful nominee be someone who calls the GOP’s answer to the financial crisis / entitlement reform “extreme”, especially when that battle is still to be fought.

So goodbye, Newt. You’ve ended your campaign before it really began.

Vyce on May 16, 2011 at 12:35 PM

So goodbye, Newt. You’ve ended your campaign before it really began.

Vyce on May 16, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Add in Mitt and Ron Paul.

I can’t see either of these 3 getting the nomination after their stumbling the last few days.

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2011 at 12:38 PM

So he says one thing to David Gregory and Gregory’s audience, and another thing to conservative audiences. Not buying it.

holygoat on May 16, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Add in Mitt and Ron Paul.

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2011 at 12:38 PM

These guys needs to slow it down , wasilla is running out of popcorn.

the_nile on May 16, 2011 at 12:40 PM

newt=putz…just.go.away.already.

NY Conservative on May 16, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Bwahahaha.They are wetting themselves hoping for scared to death of Palin or Bachmann

Southernblogger on May 16, 2011 at 12:00 PM

FIFY.

I know you are slow, but let me help you. No one, and I mean NO ONE spends the better part of 3 years attacking someone AND THEIR FAMILY 24/7 if they aren’t deathly afraid of them.

I also assume you have no idea how many of those in Obama’s inner circle have first hand experience of what it’s like to tangle with Sarah Palin.

It was Anita Mao Tse Dunn who was the first to freak out when McCain announced Sarah was his running mate. She had been on former (and popular) two term ex-governor Tony Knowles’ campaign when he ran against Sarah. They got slaughtered.

Unlike Obama now, Knowles was still very popular in Alaska.

You seem to forget that Pete Rouse (the cat who temporarily took Rahm’s place) actually runs the smear Palin efforts out of his West Wing office. It was Rouse who got together with Phil Monger and gathered up all of the Alaska blogger to do their dirty work.

There is no “stop Mitt Romney” team that runs out of the WH. None for Daniels, Pawlenty, Cain, or anyone else. Just one dedicated to stopping Palin.

If you would rather believe what the corrupt Obama media tells you, then more power to you. The facts however tell a much different tale.

gary4205 on May 16, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Newt tomorrow…

“What I meant to say was…”

Seven Percent Solution on May 15, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Where do I go to pick up my prize…?

Seven Percent Solution on May 16, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Newt thought he was prettier than Paul Ryan, and he most certainly is not.
In fact Newt thinks he’s the prettiest in Washington DC. I’ve said his ego out Obamas Obama, and this “he is so smart!” crap is just that.

Marcus on May 16, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Is George Soros funding Gingrich, or running his campaign for him?

capejasmine on May 16, 2011 at 12:29 PM

i don’t know but Soros funded the IN SC pick of Daniels

Or maybe he could explain why the official Steven David bio released by his office announced the fact that David is a member of the American Judicature Society, the leading institutional proponent of the Missouri Plan, and beneficiary of more than $1 million in contributions from George Soros’s Open Society Institute since 2000. Daniels may well have chosen the least bad option presented to him by the commission, but that cannot excuse him supporting a system that ties the governor’s hands to such an extent that he can only choose the least offensive of three liberal nominees.

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Awfully hard for Republican primary voters to put you on the top of their ticket when in doing so they will place your own ads for president right next to Democratic ads employing your “right-wing social engineering” sound bite against every Republican member of Congress who has the courage to support Medicare reform, whether as outlined in the Ryan plan or not. In opposing Ryan’s plan, Senators Collins and Brown at least tried to choose their words carefully, or at least by comparison with His Newtness.

Good week for Governor Palin. Governor Huckabee releases all of his socially-conservative evangelicals, none of whom Governor Daniels wants to court. Governor Romney decides to run on ObamaCare Lite. Congressman Paul decides to run against the first American President of African ancestry by refighting the Civil Rights Act of 1964 … on the losing side. And Speaker Gingrich begins his first week of his campaign assembling and executing a circular firing squad in the middle of the biggest budget battle we’ve ever been in.

Mongo Mere Pawn on May 16, 2011 at 12:44 PM

These guys needs to slow it down , wasilla is running out of popcorn.

the_nile on May 16, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Hehehehe

While all of the “know it all”s were sneering at Palin for using the Twitterer Device. we see Mitt and Newt stumbling over one-another to put their foot in their mouth. Epic fail.

As for Ron Paul, well, he’s Ron Paul.

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2011 at 12:44 PM

toast, they name is newtie

cmsinaz on May 16, 2011 at 12:45 PM

TRUMP IS A NO-GO REPEAT TRUMP WON’T RUN FOR PRESIDENT PER STATEMENT FROM TRUMP —>PALIN, MAKE UP YOUR MIND I AM READY! :D

ProudPalinFan on May 16, 2011 at 12:47 PM

It is certainly possible that Gingrich was misunderstood. The fault though, is with Newt and not with the listener. If he speaks in such a difficult to translate manner, such that all who heard him think he meant something he didn’t mean, either he is too smart for the rest of us…or too dumb.

BroncoGuy on May 16, 2011 at 12:47 PM

ProudPalinFan on May 16, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Good news. He did not want to take the pay cut.

kingsjester on May 16, 2011 at 12:48 PM

I guess Trump is out :)

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2011 at 12:48 PM

And when Palin announces, there will be Palin Parties all over America.

Palin party? I’m gonna need new shoes

JetBoy on May 16, 2011 at 12:49 PM

breaking TRUMP is out!

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Palin party? I’m gonna need new shoes…

JetBoy on May 16, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I’m sure Charlie Crist could lend you a pair. ;)

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Palin party? I’m gonna need new shoes…

JetBoy on May 16, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Get a whole new outfit if that’s what it takes, but come join us ‘Nistas, JB.

Kataklysmic on May 16, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Trump is out. One more falls by the wayside. the path opens up…. I love it when a plan falls together….ROFL!!!! bye bye Newt, bye bye Trump, bye bye Huck….who is left?

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 12:52 PM

GOP establishment types like Gingrich thought last November was a one-and-done wave phenomenon. They thought that they could ride it to victory, then re-take the reins of power and turn their backs on the people in favor of the status quo. No one should expect them to go easily, but they must and will be swept away by the second wave.

Christien on May 16, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Newt had no idea that conservatives have access to more than one form of media.

BuckeyeSam on May 16, 2011 at 12:53 PM

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Cain? Seriously, if Palin doesn’t run, who are conservatives going to vote for?

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2011 at 12:54 PM

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Don’t forget a matching hat!

Christien on May 16, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Maybe what Newt meant was that the Ryan plan made the choice for too many people. Maybe he thinks that it’s wrong to force current seniors to accept the existing system while the next generation gets something better.

Maybe he thinks we should offer current seniors the choice to take a voucher if they prefer.

Maybe that’s what he meant. He seems to have meant every other possible interpretation.

Stephen Macklin on May 16, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Cain? Seriously, if Palin doesn’t run, who are conservatives going to vote for?

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Yeap looks like conservatives will have to rally around Cain or Palin. Esp since now the knives are coming out for Bachmann. (which btw is Dainels henchman as daniels makes a play for Huck supporters).

I’m going to say if Cain starts to be a threat the kniives will come out for him. I’m not ready to get behibnd him until I see how he handles that…Trump lasted 2 weeks. Let’s see how long Bachmann and Cain last. We know Palin has lasted 3 years.

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I find this … unpersuasive. Go away Newt, you bother me.

Jaibones on May 16, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Cain? Seriously, if Palin doesn’t run, who are conservatives going to vote for?

MeatHeadinCA on May 16, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Yeah, if Palin doesn’t run, my vote goes to Cain. If she is waiting until July to announce because of the two year thing, she has to be dying right now. I have to hand it to her–she has a good poker face.

Kataklysmic on May 16, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Stephen Macklin on May 16, 2011 at 12:57 PM

now that right there was funny…well played sir, well played

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I think Romney would be the best candidate if not for Romneycare.

Vyce on May 16, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Of course you do. But then, you’re not a conservative.

bw222 on May 16, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Kataklysmic on May 16, 2011 at 12:58 PM

hmmmmmm

Sarah PAC sending direct mail on 2012
By Rachel Weiner
Former Alaska governor Sarah Palin is sending direct mail solicitations nationwide to raise money for her political action committee titled “2012 Can’t Come Fast Enough,” a move that is certain to re-stoke talk of whether she will run for the presidential nomination.

The copy of the letter sent to The Fix came from South Carolina, and SarahPAC Treasurer Tim Crawford said that about 400,000 solicitations were sent out nationwide. While the mailing, which aims to raise contributions for Sarah PAC, says nothing specific about Palin’s own political future the decision to send it will surely raise eyebrows.

“Taking back control of the House last year was only the first step,” Palin writes in the mailer. “Now you and I must fix our eyes on 2012. Our goal is to take back the White House and the Senate.”

Polls of late have shown Palin to be slipping somewhat in popularity among Republicans, and she has faded from the national spotlight in recent months.

Still, if she were to get in the presidential race, it would shake up a field that has just started to settle down. That’s especially true in the wake of former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabe e’s decision not to run in 2012, a move that will almost certainly free up a considerable number of social conservative voters.

Palin remains highly regarded among those voters and her popularity has eroded far less in that critical voting bloc than among Republicans more generally.

Even if Palin doesn’t ultimately run, her continued fundraising for the PAC suggests she is planning to play an active role in the 2012 election.

At the end of 2010, Sarah PAC had $1.3 million on hand after raising $3.2 million during the election cycle. Last month, the PAC’s website was redesigned to encourage more interaction with Palin herself.

she is running folks….grap you hats…

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Trump Not Running for President: ‘Decision Does Not Come Easily Or Without Regret’

ABC News’ Michael Falcone and Sara Just report:

After a roller-coaster flirtation with a presidential bid, Donald Trump bowed out of the 2012 contest in true Trump fashion, sayng that while he would not be a candidate this year, if he had run, he would have been able to win the primary and the general election.

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 1:03 PM

GO AWAY!

You bring NOTHING to the table and are not wanted!

RedNewEnglander on May 16, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Gingrich has shot himself in both feet. “Let’s see,” he says, “I think I’ll run as a RINO! That will win for sure.”

Christian Conservative on May 16, 2011 at 1:05 PM

I don’t think that voters are in a mood to mince words.

We have such an expert “mincer” in office right now so why would Newt think he can do better?

Metanis on May 16, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Newt has had lots of time to figure out his positions, and yet he is already claiming that his recent statements were taken out of context. His weekend statements are unacceptable and unexcusable. They demonstrate that he is out of touch with what is driving We the People. I hope he does not do even more damage to our cause before he figures out that he does not have a chance. I say all of this with some regret in that my now wife and I walked the halls with Newt in 1960 at Stuttgart American High School.

GaltBlvnAtty on May 16, 2011 at 1:07 PM

I don’t think he really meant to take apart Ryan. I just don’t. But he is clear as mud about it. And he is certainly more comfortable with big government than most.

But in this instance,Gregory trapped Newt. Newt is out of practice. But I don’t think he has ever been that good at saying his position… the contract with America was written down, precisely for this reason.

He is lucky this is so early, this can likely be fixed. He is going to have to be far smarter in the future if he is going to be viable.

I am not ruling anyone out, but Gingrich is a lower tier level candidate to start with so we will see how he fairs.

I doubt many people on Hot Air were serious about him anyway.

petunia on May 16, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Was never supporting Newt because he and Hillary got together on healthcare and he and Pelosi got together on global warming not to mention his debacle of a mess he created during Monicate.

Newt has always been a non-starter for everyone I know.

PhiKapMom on May 16, 2011 at 1:09 PM

If Newt always said that, I missed it

At this moment in our nation. providers, at least hospitals, are required to treat the uninsured, not because of law, but because of judges. However, the unfunded mandate is resolved by overbilling others, by tax dollar subsidies, or by going bankrupt and closing the facility

We are still somewhat in the land of the free.

The situation stands as it is, because no one of either party wants to debate the court decisions. This would be worse than debates on creationism

Newt’s idea is so bad, because once mandatory, there is the question of amount of coverage, and the size of the bond. Judges once again will decide because legislators will hide, and the government prongs in the pocket will expand as fast as Obama’s greasy bag of confiscated goodies

Mandated health insurance is as bad as mandated treatment

Once mandated, incentives go out the window

Medicare’s biggest evil was not the fraud, or the cost, it was the fact payment was guaranteed. That is what blew up the balloon

Further, when you get to the point where the bureacracy is holding the purse strings on care, the bureacracy owns your body, and the next level of mandates are imposed on the citizen, to eat what is chosen for him, to desist in activities which might reduce health, and to obey

The trend has already begun, and there is no shame in trimming liberty in the name of the higher good

Newt did everyone a favor, but the GOP now has to clean up his mess. And Ryan did not desrve the kick for taking the risk others feared

entagor on May 16, 2011 at 1:11 PM

she is running folks….grap you hats…

unseen on May 16, 2011 at 1:01 PM

*fingers crossed*

Kataklysmic on May 16, 2011 at 1:16 PM

gary4205

No they don’t. Palin is the one candidate Obama and company would love to run against. They were concerned about her three years ago. Thanks to a little help from their buddies in the msm, they aren’t concerned about here any longer. He wouldn’t even have to campaign to win easily.

xblade on May 16, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Newt 2012, the shortest presidential campaign in history. This is precisely why many felt Newt shouldn’t run, he may be an idea guy but he’s a diarrhea-of-the-brain idea guy. Not the right temperament for the big chair.

Remember, he’s not just stabbing Ryan in the back, the Republican Caucus in the House passed this bill that Newt has now branded as “right-wing social engineering” and “radical”. This makes sitting on the couch with Nancy look like a minor foible. Let’s see if Hannity has the cajones to call him on it.

jnelchef on May 16, 2011 at 1:40 PM

As a veteran republican, Newt, you should have known better. Barely a week into it and the LSM has already “got ya.” Don’t think they will sweep it under the carpet like they did with Rev. Wright and Obama. You’re a republican and they will pound this into the ground for the rest of your campaign.

Your fight should have been with Obama and the liberals. You’re an outsider now, and you don’t go around taking on the current leaders by attacking them. They are not your enemies.

How does a veteran politician make such a rookie mistake?

BruthaMan on May 16, 2011 at 1:49 PM

C’mon y’all quit being so hard on Newt. After all he WAS for the Ryan plan before he was against it! And besides that he now kinda sorta likes Ryan’s ideas-I think? (Ala John Kerry).

3dpuzzman on May 16, 2011 at 2:00 PM

We have a racist, USA destroying, communist in the White House, and this freaking clown get’s his hat in the ring. I am a conservative, but eff you Republicans. You are aiding and abetting the destruction of this country.

frizzbee on May 16, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Just another politician trying to weasel out of what he really said by trying to define the word “is”.

Common Sense on May 16, 2011 at 2:18 PM

This is where he goes off the conservative ranch and heads on over to progressiveville. We do not have a responsibility to pay for other peoples healthcare. No one has a right to my labor.

astonerii on May 16, 2011 at 3:02 PM

We’re looking at a man who believed he could pander to any crowd and get away with it. He just didn’t realize we’re all paying attention thanks to this website and many others like it. I’ll change my mind that he’s Option 1 from the other thread. Newt is just plain stupid. Get out of the race now, save your money, and the humiliation of single digit numbers in the primaries.

TulsAmerican on May 16, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Go away, Newt

golfer1 on May 16, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Govenor Palin can beat President Obama. Latest polls show her 12 points down, and her support among Republican voters will grow, as she unfolds an aggressive campaign about the truth of her record, and articulates her policy postions, as she has been doing for in excess of the last year on her Facebook page, and numerous policy speeches here and abroad.

Twelve points down is nothing with the kind of grass roots support that she will generate. There are only two individuals who can pack a stadium: one is the President of the United States; the other is Governor Sarah Palin. She is as tough as nails, possesses an iron will, an unyielding determination, and a happy warrior spirit, and that is why President Obama and the Democratic Party supporters in the main stream media have had her in the crosshairs for the last two years. They fear Governor Palin like no one else on the Republican side of the isle, as she will unite social conservatives, fiscal conservatives, and national security conservatives. Add the charisma and electricity factor, her fundraising capacity, and it is easy to see why she is still the top target for the Democratic establishment. They expect Governor Palin will come out swinging, and once she starts, she will not relent. They know she can win this fight for America’s soul, and future.

SheetAnchor on May 16, 2011 at 4:47 PM

I think what you want to have is a system where people voluntarily migrate to better outcomes, better solutions, better options

And like Obama’s Administration, then we can break out into focus groups!

Mr_Magoo on May 16, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Sorry but Newt’s manhood was Calista-ed. In my house we play the Calista Game. When Newt is on TV before he opens his mouth we wager bets as to how many times he’ll say Calista.

jeannieology on May 16, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Try the “I’m different than those other GOP wanabees” card -check the next day polls, headlines, and reactions, and then put out a video saying you people are too dumb to understand that what I clearly said wasn’t what I clearly meant. I trust Pelosi more than I trust Newt.

In fact if he ran 3rd party to do damage or even if he ran on the Obama ticket as VP it wouldn’t surprise me at all. Disloyalty is a virtue with the slick-tongued intelligensia.

Don L on May 16, 2011 at 5:37 PM

jeannieology on May 16, 2011 at 5:33 PM

I believe that Newt had some problems with the Callista marriage and as a result of a reconciliation he is bound to do all he can to advance her career, including allowing her to co-author all of his books, etc.

(No evidence that’s not purely based on observation.)

slickwillie2001 on May 16, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Gingrich was “misunderstood” ….

I’m sorry, Gingrich has been around politics & in Washington way too long to be playing the “gee, maybe I could’ve said that better” game.

Gingrich had no problem with accepting Gregory’s premise. He had no problem throwing Ryan under the bus so he could (conveniently) portray himself as being more sober, reasonable, blah blah blah – it just doesn’t occur to him that he’s undercutting the argument against Obama’s re-election.

As the great Casey Stengel said, “Can’t anybody here play this game?”

BD57 on May 16, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Ed sed:

and I don’t think that voters are in a mood to mince words.

That’s about it and anyone that out to lunch to not know this deserves to be ridiculed.

Who was the poster who predicted that he’d be walking it back today? Well done, sir/madam.

kim roy on May 16, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Newt tomorrow…

“What I meant to say was…”

Seven Percent Solution on May 15, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Where do I go to pick up my prize…?

Seven Percent Solution on May 16, 2011 at 12:43 PM

It was you! Not sure if it’s a prize, but you have my appreciation. ;) Well done, sir!

kim roy on May 16, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Compromise is just a reality in politics, but I like the way Newt does it out in the open and he takes his lumps from both sides instead of making secret backroom deals that screw us all. Palin supporters, would picking Newt for veep lose your vote?

mike_NC9 on May 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM

He lost me the day he pandered to the AGW crowd.
The notion of AGW speaks volumes of his abject stupidity.

Badger40 on May 16, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Palin supporters, would picking Newt for veep lose your vote?

mike_NC9 on May 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM

I have gone to auctions before where there is one item in the box that you want.
So you buy the whole box & throw away the garbage you don’t want.
Newt is that garbage.

Badger40 on May 16, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Badger, what is it about AGW. That it doesn’t exist or that there is not enough evidence to make the claim? Newt was simply asking if there is enough evidence to debunk it completely. “Because I say so” doesn’t work for them, and it will not work for us either. I’m with you on Palin though. I wish I could buy her in an auction.

mike_NC9 on May 16, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Another ‘we’re just too stupid to understand a brilliant politician like Newt’. It is difficult to keep up with some of them when they flip flop so quickly but we manage.

Kissmygrits on May 16, 2011 at 7:35 PM

BroncoGuy on May 16, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Yes, I used to be a big fan of his. But his recent crapola with Hillary, Nancy and now this? No frikken way.

I still don’t question his intellect. I question his integrity.

petefrt on May 16, 2011 at 7:49 PM

newt
   [noot, nyoot]
–noun
1. any of several brilliantly colored salamanders of the family Salamandridae, especially those of the genera Triturus and Notophthalmus, of North America, europe, and northern Asia.
2. any of various other small salamanders.

or

Slang Dictionary

newt definition

n.
a stupid person; a dull and uninteresting person. : Don’t act like such a newt.

hmmm. I know which one is right.

Dandapani on May 16, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Statist.

AshleyTKing on May 16, 2011 at 8:33 PM

I only heard him on Hugh Hewitt’s show today, but he seemed kind of unenthusiastic, maybe because of reactions earlier today. He spoke about a foundation he had created to study the financial crisis and had produced graphs that help understand and suggested new ways to deal with the problem, but I think the time for think tans and lectures is past. I don’t see him as a realistic contestants.

flataffect on May 17, 2011 at 2:07 AM

Newt’s problem is not that Republicans are taking his remarks out of context, but that Democrats and their MSM operatives are broadcasting his remarks at their full face value.

kd6rxl on May 17, 2011 at 8:05 AM

Next and Nancy on the couch picture.

Context my azz.

Go away Newt, FAR FAR away.

RealMc on May 17, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Some politicians don’t like being quoted…

Gohawgs on May 18, 2011 at 6:22 AM