Poll: 60% think Bible forbids celebrations over Bin Laden’s death

posted at 9:55 pm on May 13, 2011 by Allahpundit

Really? In this atheist household, we had a keg. We were doing Bin Laden keg stands.

Six-in-ten (62%) Americans agree it is wrong to celebrate the death of another human being, no matter how bad that person was. There is strong agreement across party and religious lines.

60% of Americans believe the Bible’s admonition not to “rejoice when your enemies fall” applies to how Americans should react to bin Laden’s death. There is strong agreement across party and religious lines.

The breakdown:

I’ve read a few stories this week citing religious authorities as saying it’s okay to rejoice in Bin Laden being neutralized so that he can’t plot terror anymore, but rejoicing in him getting popped in the skull by a Navy SEAL is a strict no-no. Is that what our readers have been celebrating for the past two weeks — neutralization, not just desserts? If not, if we’re all actually high-fiving over Osama being shot like the deranged animal he was, then of course forgiveness is available — provided that forgiveness is earnestly sought. Is it? I’m honestly curious about this. How many readers exulted in Bin Laden’s demise and … don’t feel guilty about it, quite frankly? That’s precisely how I feel, but then I’m not being held to any more exalted standard.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

A Christian–although admittedly not a very good one–I didn’t exactly exalt when I heard of Bin Laden’s death, but I did feel satisfaction, and while I didn’t revel in that satisfaction, I can’t deny I felt it and don’t feel guilty for feeling it.

We should all feel good when justice is done or when a battle is won or–as in this case–when an enemy leader is removed from the picture. Forget about Hitler or Mussolini or some other monster we’ve faced in the past, and think instead of Imperial Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, considered an honorable man by all who knew him, not some cartoon villain dreamed up by wartime Hollywood. Yamamoto was deliberately targeted and killed by the United States, his plane ambushed by a squadron of P-38s when news of his flight was intercepted by Naval Intelligence. Yamamoto was a strategic genius, a planner and thinker of the first order. Killing him hastened the end of the war. I imagine the vast majority of Americans at that time rejoiced at the news of his death–not just because a bad guy had died, but because the threat he represented had been eliminated.

Same thing here, although I would imagine no one other than fellow true believers would ever think Osama Bin Laden was an honorable man.

troyriser_gopftw on May 14, 2011 at 4:56 AM

Oh, did he fall? I though he got blasted through the eye!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ronnie on May 14, 2011 at 6:07 AM

Since you asked, AP, I admit that I celebrated at first, but after having a chance to reflect, I repented. It would have been far better if he had been captured & somehow turned to faith in Jesus Christ.
Those who are appalled at the thought of a repentant Bin Laden being forgiven & on the road to Heaven have no idea how wicked their own sins are to an infinitely holy God, & have no idea how awesome his grace & mercy are.

itsnotaboutme on May 14, 2011 at 6:58 AM

Yeah, and seven in ten think if you can’t say something nice about somebody, you shouldn’t say anything at all.

Now, try cutting those people off in traffic.

S. Weasel on May 14, 2011 at 7:09 AM

I’m still celebrating!

Blake on May 14, 2011 at 7:54 AM

You’re insane.

Blake on May 14, 2011 at 7:54 AM

Now, try cutting those people off in traffic.

S. Weasel on May 14, 2011 at 7:09 AM

You are probably projecting a bit. I am amazed how many times I see people cut off and they don’t even look fazed . Most seem to take it in stride. Now me-that is a different story.

CWforFreedom on May 14, 2011 at 8:00 AM

As long as you don’t celebrate with someone of the same sex, it’s fine.

RightOFLeft on May 14, 2011 at 1:13 AM

You’re a hilarious little twit.

CWforFreedom on May 14, 2011 at 8:02 AM

All I can do is quote George Orwell….

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”

IF there is ever a day (and I seriously doubt there will be) that patriots have to stand and be judged for killing bad guys, I will be standing next to them willing to accept whatever judgment the receive onto myself also!

csdeven on May 14, 2011 at 8:02 AM

This is so simple. Yes the Bible says it’s wrong to celebrate adeath. But then it also says you shouldn’t lie or “covet.” Unfortunately we are all sinners and will break the rules. Fortunately there is forgiveness. See, really pretty simple.

Deanna on May 14, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Hey – this is in the bible, too. Book of Esther, Chapter 9 verses 20 thru 28. If it was good enough to celebrate Haman’s death, it’s certainly good enough to celebrate OBL’s demise.

Works for me.

Grantman on May 14, 2011 at 8:15 AM

To understand Christianity, one must realize that Mosaic Law was fulfilled with the coming of Christ. The rules he set forth are the guidepost. If there is a contradiction in the message between the Old and New Testaments, Christ teachings prevail.

The 2nd greatest commandment is to love thy neighbor as thyself. The parable of the Samaritan comes to mind. First, Osama was not a trod upon beaten and robbed stranger. He was actively seeking to kill us. 2nd, we honored his traditions after he was placed in Gods hands. So as far as I care, there is nothing wrong with killing him and celebrating the fact that he can’t kill more people. As far as rejoicing at his death goes, I’ll follow the Saviors advice (NOT Obama The Savior) and understand that redemption works in everyone’s life and who am I to judge them? I need to put my own house in order.

csdeven on May 14, 2011 at 8:24 AM

What are we talking about here?

Are we supposed to feel guilty because we’re glad he’s dead, or are we supposed to feel guilty because our team/side/the good guys killed him?

Lets explore a bit, shall we?

When the Pope(s) ordered up the several crusades with the explicit authorization to kill, how does that square up with the quoted Proverb or the Commandment “thou shall not kill”? Should we assume the Pope ordered “no celebrations” or “all soldiers must feel very guilty and be quiet after victory” to comply with God’s word?

But, if you’re feeling guilty about feeling good that Bin Laden is dead, I suggest a big fat donation in the offering plate tomorrow, and then maybe a minute or two in the confessional. Then party down.

BobMbx on May 14, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Gee, I love how the first thing everyone does is go after the Christians. How about a poll on whether most muslims in America think Osama went to “paradise”?

Spartacus on May 14, 2011 at 8:42 AM

huh?

This Christian is thankful that our mightieth swordsmen slew the punk-ass terrorist with shots througheth his head.

Lord forgive me and pass that tapper, Allah…

ted c on May 14, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Based on the research performed by the HA scholars above, the Bible seems to provide mixed messages on the subject.

I wrote my thoughts on the subject on the first thread about the celebrations.

dogsoldier on May 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM

I felt no guilt, shed no tears and was perfectly happy celebrating the death of OBL. In a proper society, his head would’ve been chopped off, smeared in pig’s blood, placed on a spike, and mounted at the gates of 1600 Penn until nothing but bits of skull remained.

Guilt and/or death of a vile man is either a case of unwarranted piety or selective reading – either way, I’m thoroughly unconcerned. To semi-quote Sam Jackson from one film, “I’m glad he’s dead and I hope he burns in hell.”

Or, better yet, SJ in another – Ezekiel 25:17: Tarantino Edition, which incidentally won my group’s contest as to what would have been the most appropriate thing for the SEAL who shot OBL to say before shooting him, at least by cinematic standards … path of the righteous indeed!

elcapt on May 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM

I’m not celebrating his death. I’m rejoicing the lives that have been saved because he no longer lives.

Shiny_Tiara on May 14, 2011 at 9:27 AM

God does not require us to forgive EVIL in fact we are supposed to push back against EVIL. Fight the good Fight, and that’s just what the U.S. has been doing. Should we celebrate when we are successful, when we have dispatched EVIL? Absolutely. Who is surprised that moral relativism is alive, and well in “Modern interpretation of religious doctrine?” How odd that the religion of Peace doesn’t preach the same to their followers.What does the Koran state, kill the infidel in the name of Allah?

Turning the other cheek in reference to an enemy is not the same as fighting EVIL. If religious leaders expect their followers to believe in the ultimate good, it stands to “reason” that at the other end of the spectrum is ultimate EVIL, and that’s what OBL embodied. Was OBL in possession of any of his humanity at the time of his death? Only his maker knows what condition his soul was in at the time of his death. No one is beyond God’s Grace.

Al Qeada is not a religious movement it was birthed out of the Muslim Brotherhood movement to spread Sharia across the planet. Al Qeada has been consistent, non believers will convert, pay a tribute or die. Al Qeada was created by Bin Laden as an instrument to attain power. Like other power mad-men, he tried to murder his way to ultimate power. Should we celebrate when they are defeated – Hell Yeah.

Al Qeada is not a sophisticated group far from it – if people had a comparison in the west it might help put Al Qeada in perspective. The ultimate goal was power, the way to attain that power was through murder. They just got done killing 80 Muslims in a supposed revenge for OBL. I thought that was against the Koran’s teachings killing another Muslim? Murder as a tool is not about religion it’s about Power.

I state supposed revenge because I am 99.9% sure they had that attack planned way ahead of time of OBL’s death, but if they can’t Murder in the name of a live Bin Laden, than they will Murder in the name of a dead Bin Laden. Nothing has changed Al Qeada is nothing more than Power Attaining Murderers. What is interesting is their top tier leadership appears to have turned out to be some kind of sexual deviants. 9-11 the result of Osama Bin Laden, and his Egyptian Doctor’s warped sex drives?

OBL = Mass Murderer, the powers that be, can try and put lip stick on that pig, but that’s all he was, and I do celebrate his demise and disposal. Again my apologies to the Marine Life.

Dr Evil on May 14, 2011 at 9:42 AM

As I got the news from Geraldo that night I witnessed enough inane chattering and fist-pumping to last me a lifetime. Maybe if I’d heard it from some relatives whose depressive son killed himself after they were bombed out if their apartment on 9-11 I would have had a less squeamish reaction, but “celebrate” (high fives, toothy grins all around?) still seems somehow incongruous.

Seth Halpern on May 14, 2011 at 9:44 AM

There is a distinction between celebration at the death of someone because we want revenge and celebrating that justice was administered. Christian are to desire justice in this life as it is a shadow of the true justice that will take place on judgment day, but we are not to seek revenge.

RonDelDon on May 14, 2011 at 9:47 AM

I was pleased that Osama Bin Laden was killed, but I did avoid rejoicing over his death.

I felt it was inappropriate.

However, I also felt that those who went around scolding Americans for their jubilee were arrogant and hypocritical, and it angered me to hear them.

I guess I see it as being better to not celebrate, but it’s something that should be taught by example, not scolding.

Sackett on May 14, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Feelings are not right or wrong, they are just feelings. It’s not until someone acts on their feelings – they are turned into actions. People’s actions can be judged. as right or wrong or insignificant. OBL’s father died in a plane crash, when he was 9 years old, that plane was piloted by an American pilot. OBL targeted America out of hatred and revenge, that’s a feeling turned into an action. America on the other hand rid the world of a Mass Murdering Evil – that promised more mass murder. That’s a U.S. victory – victory’s are celebrated.

Dr Evil on May 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Bin Ladin’s Dead!

High Fives!
Time to Parteeee!
Firework show starts at dusk!
Let’s Celebrate!
Time to get this party started!

Blake on May 14, 2011 at 10:11 AM

King David was a man of God’s heart. Read his claims against his enemies,

Then read how he killed Goliath and used the sword of Goliath to cut his head off. After he was dead.

seven on May 14, 2011 at 10:18 AM

You’re insane.

Blake on May 14, 2011 at 7:54 AM

Though his sins may be greater and are certainly more reprehensible, if you are without Christ, your soul is just as dead in trespasses and sins as Bin Laden’s.

Christ came to save vile sinners and grace is for the guilty…like me.

Stayright on May 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Yes, a Christian should not rejoice in the killing of a man, any man. It’s clearly spelled out in God’s Word. You should read it sometime and you wouldn’t have to ask these silly questions.

j_galt on May 13, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Umm. Sorry, but my cognitive dissonance meter’s twitching a bit….

nukemhill on May 14, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Christ came to save vile sinners and grace is for the guilty…like me.

Stayright on May 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM

You’re insane, too.

Blake on May 14, 2011 at 11:13 AM

itsnotaboutme on May 14, 2011 at 6:58 AM

As much as that is a beautiful idea, you realize that Osama would NEVER have accepted Christ.

It is just not realistic.

Conservative Samizdat on May 14, 2011 at 11:33 AM

The only thing better if OBL had suffered when he was killed. He did not.

Blake on May 14, 2011 at 11:54 AM

100% of pro American adults could care less about these ridicules polls.

frizzbee on May 14, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Christ came to save vile sinners and grace is for the guilty…like me.

Stayright on May 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM

You’re insane, too.

Blake on May 14, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Hardly, I’m just a Christian, saved by grace.

Don’t misunderstand me, I’m glad Osama is gone. And I celebrated when I heard the news. Right or wrong, I even took pleasure in that certain knowledge that outside of Christ, his soul is damned forever.

My only point to you was that without Christ, you and every other man alive are in the same exact hard spot with God as Bin Laden, as ME. Bin Laden will get what he deserved for eternity, and so will every other sinner whose sins have not been laid on the Savior, Jesus Christ. I take no glee in that. I only tell you because it’s true. But Scripture says whosever will may believe on Him and have life.

Stayright on May 14, 2011 at 12:18 PM

itsnotaboutme on May 14, 2011 at 6:58 AM

It is just not realistic.

Conservative Samizdat on May 14, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Of course, but that’s the ideal for all men. Absent grace, no man accepts Christ. As it says in Romans 3:11, There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

And in John Christ said, No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him… Unless a man is drawn by the Father he will never come, indeed he cannot.

Stayright on May 14, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Stayright on May 14, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Spin it anyway you like, but it’s still religion based on threats and extortion. I’ll pass.

Blake on May 14, 2011 at 1:21 PM

I was happy he is gone. I didn’t take credit for it and I am glad someone did it – if indeed, they did it. No body after all

If Obama was killed, he is yet alive, having been sent forward to judgement by his Maker. That is the purpose of ‘May God have mercy on your soul’ spoken to condemned killers, and that is the reason they are dispatched to their Maker.

Behind each mad dog taken down is the tragedy of a human being gifted by God with a soul and a purpose, who threw it all away to follow the Prince of Darkness. That part is sad. The waste.

Bush described the situation correctly: Wanted, Dead or Alive

The cumbaya churches focus on self criticism to the detriment of society. I don’t see it. Jesus repeatedly spoke of the sorting of the tares, the harvest and many would go into the lake of fire

In the New Testament, it was Christ who spoke this way more than any other

entagor on May 14, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Blake on May 14, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Oh no my friend. Those hopelessly burdened by the weight of their sin run to the cross, run to Christ.

Stayright on May 14, 2011 at 1:37 PM

This is the same religion that tells the story of an army that literally played music and shouted its way into battle where it went on to kill everyone, not just those who “deserved it” by any standard we’d apply.

I’m more happy that he’s “neutralized” than that he got what was coming to him, much like I assume the munchkins felt after Dorothy’s house landed, but I am happy that evil has been punished. This guy agrees with me:

Psalm 73

I envied the arrogant
when I saw the prosperity of the wicked[...]
When I tried to understand all this,
it troubled me deeply
till I entered the sanctuary of God;
then I understood their final destiny.
Surely you place them on slippery ground;
you cast them down to ruin.
How suddenly are they destroyed,
completely swept away by terrors!

Psalm 76:10

Surely your wrath against mankind brings you praise,
and the survivors of your wrath are restrained.

I could go on. Really, a good 50% of the Psalms mention King David having some enemy that he’s praising God for destroying (even to possible genocide). King David, though lustful, was said to be a man after God’s own heart.

Esthier on May 14, 2011 at 9:16 PM

May my accusers perish in shame; may those who want to harm me be covered with scorn and disgrace.”
[Psalm 71:13]

Terp Mole on May 14, 2011 at 9:19 PM

I’m still trying to understand why the Tucson Memorial Service morphed into a Rock Concert atmosphere?

I still don’t get it: Why were Leftist college students hooting and cheering orgiastically at a memorial service replete with souvenir T-shirts and concession stands?

Why the demands for sober reflection over UBL, versus all the rejoicing then?

These appeals for calm reflection over UBL sure are hard to figure out.

Terp Mole on May 14, 2011 at 9:24 PM

What would Jesus do?

But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!
[Matthew 18:6-7]

Terp Mole on May 14, 2011 at 9:28 PM

You blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.”
[Matthew 23:24]

Terp Mole on May 14, 2011 at 9:30 PM

I’m a Christian and I’m glad he’s dead. Does the Bible frown on this attitude? Perhaps. But then, I’m also resigned to the fact that I’m a sinner and will always be dependent on Christ’s forgiveness, rather than my own futile efforts, for salvation.

Cylor on May 15, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Addendum to my last comment: interestingly, the only people I know personally who did not welcome the news of Osama’s passing, and cast aspersions on those who did, happen to be atheists.

Cylor on May 15, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Since you ask…

As Bible-believing, independent fundamental Baptists, the news of bin Laden’s demise was heartily welcomed in our house, but not emotionally celebrated. As a military household, the accomplishment of a long-awaited and essential objective in the GWoT was gratifying.

Did I jump up from my seat and run around the house? No. Neither did I kneel down and pray that bin Laden’s soul would find eternal peace in God’s loving arms, both because such prayers are useless after the point of death, and
because it is not what he had earned.

Do I believe that a murderer may still find salvation? Absolutely. I have met Tex Watson, a member of the Manson family who participated in the Tat-LaBianca murders in 1969, and came to Christ in the 70s. There are few finer preachers of God’s Word in America. He remains under a life sentence as does Manson, but Watson has never sought parole. He believes that God’s work for him is within the prison system, and that it is both his punishment and his mission to be there.

Do I believe that bin Laden could have been saved, in the Biblical sense? Academically, yes, I know that any soul who repents and accepts Christ’s death as substitutionary punishment for their own iniquity is redeemed from the eternal judgement of a righteous Creator. Pragmatically, I know that one who has killed and terrorized, who has taught others to do the same, for the sake of wealth, nation, or a false religion, while mistakenly believing it is in God’s name, is horribly unlikely to recognize the truth.

A rabid dog must be put down. You take no visceral pleasure in its death, but you praise God that it can do no more harm.

Ask me if I’m glad that it was an American bullet that terminated his consumption of oxygen. Absolutely, and as previously asked, I would have been under no confliction about pulling the trigger if given the opportunity. He was my enemy in every sense of the word, as he was the enemy of anybody who loves liberty. We were at war against him and his kind, and they have made it clear that the fight is to the death.

Freelancer on May 15, 2011 at 8:59 PM

*Raises hand*

catmman on May 16, 2011 at 8:49 AM

I believe in celebrating that justice has been done, but not that another soul has been lost. God wants people to turn from their sin, but He will not allow them to walk in it forever.

“Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign LORD. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?” Ezekiel 18:23

“For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.” Romans 13:4

Kelli_D on May 16, 2011 at 10:07 AM