Mike Huckabee: Only Mike Huckabee knows what’s going to happen tomorrow night

posted at 6:45 pm on May 13, 2011 by Allahpundit

Not even the executive producer of his show knows, he tells Cavuto. Dude, it’s like “The Decision” all over again — one solid suspenseful hour of unbridled egomania and melodrama. The more I think about it, in fact, the more unlikely it seems that he’s going to make a crowd of fans sit through an entire 60-minute program on pins and needles and then tell them he’s not running for president. That would be like LeBron having announced his decision to go to Miami at the end of the Cavs’ final playoff game in front of a packed house. My prediction for how the show will end: These guys will come out to play their Huckabee “Let It Be” rewrite, then Huck will casually unbutton his dress shirt to reveal a “HUCKABEE 2012″ tee underneath. Pandemonium.

At NRO, Robert Costa reports that the word around Little Rock is that Huck is out, partly due to the extra scrutiny that would come with being a frontrunner. Here’s the clip from “Your World,” which naturally ends with a few jabs at his old pal Mitt Romney. If Huck doesn’t run and Romney somehow ends up with the nomination, how deeply on a scale of one to 10 will Huckabee regret not having joined the race to stop his old nemesis? I’m thinking 11 or 12.

Comments

My guess!

He will announce he will make an announcement about his decision in July!

amazingmets on May 13, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Wouldn’t it be a thumb to the eye of Fox management if he runs? They kicked Newt off the air a while back because they don’t want these entanglements. Huck announcing his candidacy on his own show will cause headaches for the Fox folks, and he really can’t afford for them to turn on him.

Number 2 on May 13, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Pandemonium.

Huck-ta-phon-ium.

upinak on May 13, 2011 at 6:47 PM

What’s Hugh Hewitt up to nowadays?

Dusty on May 13, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Question for the Internet Purity Brigade- gun to your head (i.e. you can’t stay home or write in Cain, Palin, etc), if you had to choose between Romney or Huckabee, which would you pick?

And you’re not being funny if you say “go ahead and shoot”.

Hollowpoint on May 13, 2011 at 6:52 PM

On MSNBC a few minutes ago Ed Rollins was too fat to run this time.

technopeasant on May 13, 2011 at 6:54 PM

woop te doo

ted c on May 13, 2011 at 6:55 PM

And you’re not being funny if you say “go ahead and shoot”.

Hollowpoint on May 13, 2011 at 6:52 PM

If it’s either of those vs. Dear Liar, I’m voting Libertarian.

rbj on May 13, 2011 at 6:55 PM

He’s running. You can sense it in that interview.

JetBoy on May 13, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Huckabee needs to refer to himself in the 3rd person, like Bob Dole.

portlandon on May 13, 2011 at 6:57 PM

I still believe he will run. The timing, plus the fact that he constantly polls well.

Vyce on May 13, 2011 at 6:57 PM

On MSNBC a few minutes ago Ed Rollins was too fat to run this time.

technopeasant on May 13, 2011 at 6:54 PM

I didn’t know Ed Rollins was running!..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2011 at 6:57 PM

I could never vote for him.

The reason being (and I hate to say this) he is George W. Bush.

A “compassionate conservative” that will throw out money we don’t have on things we don’t need.

I don’t hate the man, but I don’t respect him either.

Machiavelli Hobbes on May 13, 2011 at 6:58 PM

[Hollowpoint on May 13, 2011 at 6:52 PM]

Don’t look now but you forgot to load …

Serious, I’m not part of the purity brigade. (Sure, someone could go back to the comments where I said I gave money to the witch, but that was out of spite for the nutty Castle lady here, I forget her name now.) …

How long do I have before you pull the trigger?

Nice weather we’re having, ain’t it?

Dusty on May 13, 2011 at 6:59 PM

if you had to choose between Romney or Huckabee, which would you pick?

And you’re not being funny if you say “go ahead and shoot”.

Hollowpoint on May 13, 2011 at 6:52 PM

There is no difference. It’s a choice without meaning.

Go broke spending money on social programs because its our Christian duty to do so… OR, go broke spending money on social programs because its the best way to pander to the bureaucratic leftists and corporate welfare leeches.

Go ahead and shoot.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Mike Huckabee: Only Mike Huckabee knows what’s going to happen tomorrow night

I didn’t watch it, 5 minutes is way too much Huck, but did he speak of himself in the third person?

Fallon on May 13, 2011 at 7:00 PM

That would be pretty jerky to make people watch an hour of his show to say “I’m not running.”

terryannonline on May 13, 2011 at 7:01 PM

I find it hard to believe that Fox would let him announce his candidacy on his show. Seems problematic for them and also has possible FEC issues.

Therefore, I find it even harder to believe that “no one knows” what’s going to happen tomorrow.

Chris of Rights on May 13, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Only Mike Huckabee knows what’s going to happen tomorrow night…

And so many of us don’t care … Creating excitement FAIL

deepdiver on May 13, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Go ahead and shoot.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 6:59 PM

well, I think I have holes in both feet.

upinak on May 13, 2011 at 7:02 PM

I don’t give a flit what huck does, we won’t vote for him if he runs. He just wants people to watch his show tomorrow, which we don’t do.
L

letget on May 13, 2011 at 7:03 PM

I think Mike Huckabee is going to announce that he will be the new Bass Player for The Who tribute band.

portlandon on May 13, 2011 at 7:03 PM

And you’re not being funny if you say “go ahead and shoot”.

Hollowpoint on May 13, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Oh, that’s easy.

I’ve made it plain over the past few months that I will never vote for Romney. In fact, I will do everything legally within my power to make sure that he is not elected

I could pull the lever for the Huck if I had to. I would have serious misgivings about it, but I could do it.

Here’s how I vote if it comes to any of these situations:
Obama vs. Romney: Obama
Huckabee vs. Romney: Huckabee
Obama vs. Huckabee: Huckabee

Chris of Rights on May 13, 2011 at 7:04 PM

He’s running. You can sense it in that interview.

JetBoy on May 13, 2011 at 6:55 PM

I agree, he was fighting back a smile the whole time Cavuto was asking him about it. Also, he’ll be on Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace on Sunday. Hmm…I wonder why.

I said yesterday I think watching Mitt’s self-destructive speech and the reaction to it from conservatives probably pushed Huck off the fence.

Rollins is either angry that he wasn’t told about Huckabee’s plans or trying to hype up the announcement.

I’ve been saying it all along, if Huck runs, he wins.

And I think he’s running.

cschande on May 13, 2011 at 7:04 PM

” if you had to choose between Romney or Huckabee, which would you pick?
Hollowpoint on May 13, 2011 at 6:52 PM”

I’d pick Mitt. Why? CATO Institute rated Mitt higher than Huck when comparing their terms as governor. Mitt got a C, Huck got a D overall with an F for his last year in office. In fact there were 15 Dem governors that they rated better than Huck. Then too Mitt isn’t a hypocritical, religious bigot, erstwhile preacherman who misinterprets scripture to justify growing government while lining his own pockets.

JimP on May 13, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Huck’s not running. He literally got in fighting shape to run in 2008 and hasn’t done the same this time. He’s making too much money and having too good a time to muck it up with a long-shot run for the presidency.

I always respected Huck for the effort he made in 2008 to run. Contrast that with fat-ass Bill Richardson – he’d be VP today if he had dropped 50 pounds and spent $5,000 on some decent looking suits.

PatMac on May 13, 2011 at 7:07 PM

If conventional wisdom is that he is out… I’m going opposite. I think he is in.

But it isn’t he end of the world… I’m going to keep an open mind… for five minutes at least.

And I will do my best not to trash him.

I am resolved to find some place in my heart for Mike Huckabee.

Not for his sake of course, but for mine.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Maybe he isn’t’ going to run but is going to announce an early endorsement … would that cause an FEC problem to endorse someone on his show?

deepdiver on May 13, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Alternatively, he will announce he’s not running, due to the constraints of a Presidential campaign, and he will casually reach down, grab his ax and he and his band will launch into “Free Bird,” as they have been wont to do in the past. NAUSEA will ensue.

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 7:09 PM

I’ve been saying it all along, if Huck runs, he wins.

And I think he’s running.

cschande on May 13, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Okay, but couldn’t his reaction be that Romney has hurt himself so badly that he has no motive to run now?

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Mike Huckabee announces he will support Mitt Romney and a player to be named later for president.

In trade Mike is assued he will be Ambassidor to the foreign Embassy in the Ozark mountains.

William Amos on May 13, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Fallon on May 13, 2011 at 7:00 PM

You read my mind…If he did, that will have added a whole new layer of creepiness to his ‘People don’t know ah’ve got frogs in mah pockets’ persona.

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 7:11 PM

deepdiver on May 13, 2011 at 7:09 PM

No, Sean and Rush and Ann C. and all the others endorsed Romney last time.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Huck is moving to FL to avoid the AR taxes?! Do we need more evidence he is a RINO? Why didn’t you fix the taxes when you were gov, Huck? ROTFL

What a POS.

JimP on May 13, 2011 at 7:12 PM

William Amos on May 13, 2011 at 7:10 PM

No! He is going to endorse both Mitt and Huntsman! And Donny Osmond!

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Chris of Rights on May 13, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Well, couldn’t Huck just announce he is leaving Fox as of this show’s end. That might surprise Fox, in the sense that they don’t know what he will decide, but that is what they want him to decide.

Then tomorrow or the next day he announces he’s running.

Dusty on May 13, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Mitt Romney vs Mike Huckabee. A blue blooded nanny stater vs a Redneck nanny stater.

or as stated in the Nevada Marque

Ritt Momney vs Hike Muckabee.

William Amos on May 13, 2011 at 7:14 PM

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 7:09 PM

If his only goal all along has been to keep Mitt out of the White House, then yes. But that hasn’t been his only goal all along. Now, I don’t doubt it made its way onto his wish list sometime before the Iowa caucuses, but he was in it to win it for himself from the beginning.

cschande on May 13, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Oh I came back to say that Huckabee stepping on Ron Paul’s announcement is too funny.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 7:16 PM

WGAF. And that’s not my local Fox station, Huck.

VastRightWingConspirator on May 13, 2011 at 7:18 PM

but he was in it to win it for himself from the beginning.

cschande on May 13, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Oh so that is why he stayed in until he got more delegates than Mitt… for himself… not to ust be able to say he won his race against Mitt.

Okay, I’m sorry. I wish Huckabee the best and if he wins the nomination I will vote for him.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 7:19 PM

man its fun mixing the first letters of their names.

Parah Salin
Pon Raul
Him Juntsman
Jim Tohnson
Bichelle Machmann

William Amos on May 13, 2011 at 7:20 PM

I agree with this. I am already kind of ticked about having this drama of waiting when he already knows. I will be relieved and happy if he says he is in. Not so much if he just says no.

Southernblogger on May 13, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Soooo shouldn’t that quote be:

Mike Huckabee: Only Mike Huckabee and God knows what’s going to happen tomorrow night

Ig uess it’s ok to ask his supporters to pray for him but Huck can’t share the spotlight with God on this important announcement.

Imagine that…

unseen on May 13, 2011 at 7:22 PM

CATO Institute rated Mitt higher than Huck

How did the CATO institute like Romneycare?

Emperor Norton on May 13, 2011 at 7:22 PM

but he was in it to win it for himself from the beginning.

cschande on May 13, 2011 at 7:15 PM

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 7:19 PM

I think he genuinely thought he had a chance to win Texas, and he dropped out right after he didn’t.

cschande on May 13, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Just what Republicans DONT need: a folksy, southern, former preacher. Ugh. Spare us.

Go RBNY on May 13, 2011 at 7:23 PM

PatMac on May 13, 2011 at 7:07 PM

This is dumb. The man’s got a bum knee and stays busy as all get out.

cschande on May 13, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Imagine that…

unseen on May 13, 2011 at 7:22 PM

So the prayer thing didn’t take long. Which means he either got a very strong “no”… or he already knew what he was going to do before he prayed.

Because a “yes” this big… takes a while to sink in.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 7:29 PM

He is such a used-car-salesman.

stenwin77 on May 13, 2011 at 7:29 PM

I guess we will find out tommorrow. Sounds like he is running to me. but if the only person that knows is huck himself no one knows.

unseen on May 13, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Because a “yes” this big… takes a while to sink in.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 7:29 PM

yeap. That is what gives me the hesitation about Huck. he seems to use God to further his politcal goals instead of allowing God to use him…

unseen on May 13, 2011 at 7:32 PM

I really can’t stand Huckabee. I’d vote for him if I had to but it would be as unhappy a vote as my vote for Arnold here in California. His personal vendetta toward Romney doesn’t speak well of his Christian character/witness. You will never convince me that he didn’t play the shhhhh…..mormon…..shhh….card against Romney last time around. When he started playing footsie with McCain in the primaries it gave us McCain as a candidate. I don’t know if anyone could have beat Obama last time out but I’m certain that Romney’s business background would have given him a better chance than McCain when the financial meltdown hit.

PrincipleStand on May 13, 2011 at 7:33 PM

He’ll never give up the FOX bucks. Plus, Jet Boy says he’s running. Need I say more?

katy the mean old lady on May 13, 2011 at 7:46 PM

if you had to choose between Romney or Huckabee, which would you pick?

Hollowpoint on May 13, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Romney, for the simple fact that he’s smarter and run a complex organization before. I don’t agree with either of them ideologically so practicality is all I have left. But I really don’t want to have to vote for Romney.

alwaysfiredup on May 13, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Meh

m0nkeyb0y on May 13, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Jim Tohnson

William Amos on May 13, 2011 at 7:20 PM

How about Jary Gohnson and Pim Tawlenty instead.

alwaysfiredup on May 13, 2011 at 7:52 PM

From the NRO piece referenced:

“If Huckabee got into the race, he would be treated like the frontrunner,” Sanders says. “Yet he was never the frontrunner in 2008; he never got the hard media scrutiny that often comes with running for president. He was more of a media darling, in many circumstances, since he engaged a policy matrix that was unusual for a conservative Republican, from his cap-and-trade position to his big fights with the Wall Street Journal editorial page and, from time to time, with National Review.”

Exactly. It’ll be rougher on the Huckster this time around.

pseudoforce on May 13, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Exactly. It’ll be rougher on the Huckster this time around.

pseudoforce on May 13, 2011 at 8:00 PM

The MSM gave Huck the kid glove treament in ’08 because they knew they could use him to neutralize Romney by splitting the conservative vote (back when Romney was feigning conservatism–as Huck still is). McCain they knew could easily be beaten. Romney they weren’t sure about because of his financial acumen.

Kataklysmic on May 13, 2011 at 8:09 PM

God help us

PappyD61 on May 13, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Huckabigot will never live it down if a Mormon occupies the White House. That in itself is enough for him to enter the primary.

csdeven on May 13, 2011 at 8:35 PM

I find the suspense too much to bear.

slickwillie2001 on May 13, 2011 at 8:38 PM

“How did the CATO institute like Romneycare?
Emperor Norton on May 13, 2011 at 7:22 PM”

They didn’t, which shows you how awful Huck must have been that Mitt was rated higher.

JimP on May 13, 2011 at 9:19 PM

“HUCKABEE 2012″

I don’t know if I should tell you or not. No, I don’t wanna spoil the surprise. You have to be really patient. Have a nice day/night everyone.

apacalyps on May 13, 2011 at 10:11 PM

And you’re not being funny if you say “go ahead and shoot”.

Hollowpoint on May 13, 2011 at 6:52 PM

I’d vote for Romney-not for Schmuckabee.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 13, 2011 at 10:12 PM

I don’t know how any of you could vote for Obama. Ever.

I would vote for whoever runs against him. I would vote for Britney Spears before him. Heck, I would vote for Meghan MCCAIN before him.

I would vote for a potted plant before him.

Anybody who votes for Obama for any reason whatsoever is my my bad books for time immemorial.

What’s the deal, anyway – you don’t get your favorite guy so you show them?

Now I admit the choice is often between going to hell in a handbasket slower or going to hell in a handbasket faster. But I still prefer slower.

I would even vote for any democrat before I ever voted for Obama, even if he had a come-to-Jesus moment and became a conservative and ran on the Republican ticket.

I mean, if for no other reason, how could anyone ever vote for someone who is such a total jerk, who made it a point to snidely insult half the people?

Anyone who would vote for someone who insults them to their face … well, I just don’t understand it.

Alana on May 13, 2011 at 10:21 PM

I think he is running.

Huckabee was in Dallas yesterday giving a speech at the NCPA Distinguished Lecture Series. He touched on all the important topics and laid out a platform:

A President Mike Huckabee: What you See is What you Get

We will know for sure tomorrow night.

texasconserv on May 14, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Mike, Huckabee 2012 died the minute the first body hit the floor in that triple homicide in Washington committed by a guy you gave clemency to.

Ever heard of Willie Horton?

SuperCool on May 14, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Oh, spare us the dramatics, Huckleberry; you with your sense of exaggerated self-importance. You’re unelectable. You got a pass from the press last time (one might even say you were something of a media darling) because you made it your mission to take down the guy they considered the most formidable candidate. This time they’ll give you–and yours–a colonoscopy. And, like Mr. Cool says, there is the matter of that pesky little clemency.

On the one hand, if he’s the nominee, I won’t vote for him. Period. On the other hand, I live in California, so it won’t matter.

SukieTawdry on May 14, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Will Mike Huckabee and Apacalyps make another run for the White House? Tune in tonight at 5 p.m. Pacific, that would be, um, 8 p.m. Eastern. It won’t be long now. I’m so NERVOUS!!!

apacalyps on May 14, 2011 at 7:05 PM