Huckabee to announce decision on campaign tomorrow; Update: Ed Rollins thinks he’s not running

posted at 1:44 pm on May 13, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Looks like announcement season has heated up.  Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul both made announcements this week, and Herman Cain has a rally scheduled in eight days for his formal announcement.  Now the producer of Mike Huckabee’s television show says that the 2008 GOP runner-up will use his show tomorrow night to announce … something:

Mike Huckabee, the former governor of Arkansas, will announce on Saturday whether he will run for president, the producer of his show on the Fox News Channel said Friday.

“Governor Huckabee will announce tomorrow night on his program whether or not he intends to explore a presidential bid,” Woody Fraser, the executive producer of “Huckabee” said in a statement. “He has not told anyone at FOX News Channel his decision.”

Senior political aides to Mr. Huckabee also said Friday they do not know what he will decide, raising suspicions that Mr. Huckabee will take a pass on another campaign.

If he’s announcing an exploratory committee launch, then it will be his last show for the next 18 months, at least.  Fox had supposedly been pressuring Huckabee for an answer (which Huckabee denied).  If he wants to take the pressure off and stay out of the race, then a quick announcement on a Saturday night makes a lot of sense.

On the other hand, Huckabee does pretty well in polling, usually running neck-and-neck with Romney for the top spot.  Not too many people would pass on that kind of opening, not unless they really didn’t want to spend the next year fighting for the nomination.  That kind of temptation would normally keep someone in the maybe column for as long as possible.

Last thought: Michael Shear sounds pretty skeptical in his report that Fox would allow any of its contributors to launch a campaign on their platform, which Republican strategist Ed Rollins also questions.  They probably wouldn’t mind the ratings, but I’d guess that Shear and Rollins are correct, and that Huckabee will take a pass.

Update (AP): If he’s running, he’s kept it an awfully tight secret:

Ed Rollins, who directed his 2008 campaign and has been organizing his 2012 campaign-in-waiting, said he has not been consulted.

“I’ve heard nothing, which indicates to me he’s not running,” Mr. Rollins said in an interview…

“He has by far the clearest path to the nomination of all the 2012 candidates,” one of the would-be Huckabee team said.

But several member of the inner circle said Friday that they had no knowledge of what Mr. Huckabee planned to announce, and were dumbfounded that he had kept his own would-be campaign in the dark. Mr. Huckabee has already seen most of his main operatives in Iowa and New Hampshire gobbled up by competing campaigns.

Rollins told the NYT, “There was a tremendous opportunity for him to be a viable, credible candidate. I think Mike has got unique talents but he just didn’t have the fire in the belly. I can’t want it more than the candidate does.” Either this is the head fake to end all head fakes or, yeah, he’s really not running. Having Huckabee swoop into Iowa and lock up a chunk of social conservatives would have made things very hard for Palin, especially since he’s got the skeleton of a successful state operation left over there from 2008 and she doesn’t. Now the social con field is wide open and waiting for a big name to enter. If she was thinking of staying out, this should tilt her in the other direction.

Update (AP): Thinking this through a bit further, if he’s really decided not to run, why announce it publicly now? The 2012 speculation is good for his media profile and, presumably, for his ratings. If the Fox people are pressuring him, he could reassure them privately that he’s sticking with his show; they have an incentive to keep that hush-hush for the same reason Huck does, to keep his name in the news. The only reason I can come up with is that he doesn’t want his 2008 team stuck in limbo when there are high-paying campaign jobs out there for the taking right now. But that only makes it stranger that he hasn’t tipped his inner circle to his decision yet. Unless he decided literally within the past few hours, he should have told them ASAP that they’re free to look for 2012 work elsewhere.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Is clear as sunlight that the candidates are Romney, Daniels, Pawlenty and Huntsman the others pretenders are just that pretenders. You have your choices take your pick.

Falz on May 13, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Dire Straits on May 13, 2011 at 4:23 PM

awww man…

SO, one of my favs of ’86

cmsinaz on May 13, 2011 at 4:32 PM

LOL. Well, henceforth, I promise to think of you as “Sargon the True King,” and not “Sharon the Conservative Lesbian.”

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 4:27 PM

I am moving on up in the world!

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Good riddance, Huck! And now that Romney has effectively killed his own chances, the field is pretty wide open, and that isn’t a bad thing at all, despite the lamentations of those who keep expecting another Reagan to pop up out of nowhere to lead us to the Restoration.

Adjoran on May 13, 2011 at 3:58 PM

That is exactly why Daniels and Pawlenty are so attracive, when they aren’t personally attractive.

They are the anti-2008 candidates.

But Daneils connection to Bush’s financial programs might be the decider between them.

As much as I still repect Bush, his financial programs were not enviable. And if Daniels was behind them that could be a problem.

But from what I’ve read he was good for Indiana.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Upinak for example. I always assumed she was a native Alaskan because of her name. Until someone pointed out the obvious Up In AK.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 4:10 PM

crap, I am now an example. LOL

upinak on May 13, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Falz on May 13, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Do you read Jay Cost? He picked those and I have been trying to figure why he is wrong and I can’t… I don’t think Huntsman is one of them though. So I think it is only those three.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 4:36 PM

I am moving on up in the world!

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 4:33 PM

(:-D)

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 4:49 PM

crap, I am now an example. LOL

upinak on May 13, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Hey at least you are still a member in good standing of the CSS — Conservative Sisterhood Solidarity. I apparently have been drummed out of the organization for prejudicial reasons.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I apparently have been drummed out of the organization for prejudicial reasons.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Umm, I had no clue you were female. I just assumed you were black and white.. and text all over.

upinak on May 13, 2011 at 4:55 PM

upinak on May 13, 2011 at 4:55 PM

I am NOT female!!11!!!

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I am NOT female!!11!!!

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM

damnit, see that assumption!

upinak on May 13, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Gomer Pyle not running?

We need someone with leadership experience, strong military supporter, Conservative and FEARLESS.

THOR 2012 !!!!

PappyD61 on May 13, 2011 at 5:01 PM

I am NOT female!!11!!!

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM

damnit, see that assumption!

upinak on May 13, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Why do I think we are a part of this conversation.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I am NOT female!!11!!!

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM
damnit, see that assumption!

upinak on May 13, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Upinak, sharrukin is a great king! We must all bow down before his wisdom and might! Also, he sometimes writes real purty.

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 5:10 PM

We shall fight for your right to have babies, even though you can’t have babies, dear sharrukin.

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 5:13 PM

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Also, this saddened me, so I am prepared to make an example of exception for you. You may consider yourself to be a full-fledged member of the CSS, with all the attendant rights and privileges of that organization, bearing in mind that it exists only in my mind, and then, only vaguely, at that. Congratulations, Sister!

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 5:16 PM

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 5:10 PM

I bow to no man.

elect me!

upinak on May 13, 2011 at 5:16 PM

No I am not a girl. Why did you think that? I’m insulted. Are you calling my manhood into question? I need a lawyer!

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 3:38 PM

At your service, ma’am sir. :)

alwaysfiredup on May 13, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Actually, I’ve seen some evidence that Frum does sort of have a majority.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Yeah, the same one that propelled Dole and McCain to the White House.

Falz on May 13, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Unfortunately, too many people are going to pick “none of the above”. Then we’ll see how that “serious and electable” thing worked out for ya.

pseudoforce on May 13, 2011 at 5:20 PM

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Can my membership name be Loretta?

P.s. What time will Huckabee be on tomorrow? Does anyone know?

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 5:21 PM

I bow to no man.

elect me!

upinak on May 13, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Well, okay, but you have to make up something that you want us to name you as.

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Can my membership name be Loretta?P.s. What time will Huckabee be on tomorrow? Does anyone know?

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Best. Thread. Ever. You even incorporated a Monty Python sketch. *wipes away a tear* I may never come back after today. BTW, I don’t know what time Huckleberry’s appearance is slated for, but it’s smart to find that out ahead of time, so you don’t accidentally come upon it.

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 5:23 PM

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 5:23 PM

This one I may watch. Come to think of it, I have never seen his show.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Strongest Fearless REAL Conservative that beats OBAMA.

That’s who we need. I don’t care if it wears a skirt, has white hair, is bald, is overweight, has an overbite, rolls the toothpaste out the wrong way, or speaks with a horrible accent.

We must defeat Obama. And frankly, if you’re a GOPer and you talk about how the Chicago Messiah is ruining the country and YOU’RE NOT WILLING TO RUN….

….THEN SHUT UP!!

PappyD61 on May 13, 2011 at 5:26 PM

This one I may watch. Come to think of it, I have never seen his show.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 5:25 PM

So, remind me, Loretta, which of our illustrious candidates sends a thrill up your skirt?

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 5:26 PM

….THEN SHUT UP!!

PappyD61 on May 13, 2011 at 5:26 PM

A-bleeping-men.

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 5:27 PM

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 5:26 PM

The one that wears a skirt.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Someone suggested he might be moving to Beck’s spot.

I vote for that, over a run.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 1:47 PM

If he takes Beck’s old slot, I’ll start watching Judge Judy or someting like that during that time.

mizflame98 on May 13, 2011 at 5:30 PM

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 5:26 PM

stop blowing hot iar up shar’s uni-kilt

upinak on May 13, 2011 at 5:31 PM

The one that wears a skirt.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 5:28 PM

So you get the same vibe from Newt that I do, huh? Still, I can’t see myself voting for him, although his emails begging for money are starting to wear me down. I can’t figure out how to unsubscribe…

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 5:34 PM

If Huckabee is not running then it is the perfect opportunity for Palin to try to take it. Um, why isn’t she in Iowa?

terryannonline on May 13, 2011 at 5:42 PM

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Gingrich will fold under Democratic pressure. He talks a good game but its just talk. I have a sneaking suspicion that Cain may be the same. Suspicion is probably too strong a word. Worry I suppose that he isn’t what he claims.

Palin and Rand Paul are the only ones who I have a little confidence in that they will at least try to cut the debt and spending. Trump oddly enough comes in a distant third in that he is enough of a SOB that if things went badly wrong he might do what is needed if forced into it. The rest are a waste of time. They are weak men like General Weepy (Boehner).

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 5:44 PM

terryannonline on May 123, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Three letters: FEC

The Left intends to use the same tactics against Palin as it used in Alaska to file frivolous complaints against her to keep her bogged down.

By not going to the early primary states, she cannot be accused of running for President even by Leftists.

Palin has learned her lesson from 2009. She has to be so, so careful in everything she does. There are least 2000 eyes watching her on a 24/7 basis.

technopeasant on May 13, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Um, why isn’t she in Iowa?

terryannonline on May 13, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Its a caucus state dominated by GOP flunkies who don’t want an outsider like her. The longer she waits and the fewer alternatives running the better she will do.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 5:47 PM

terryannonline on May 13, 2011 at 5:42 PM

She told Martha MacCallum 2 days ago that she thinks it’s still too early.

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Hmmm. Pretending that I didn’t imply that Newt Gingrich is a cross-dresser doesn’t make it not have happened! So, SP, eh?

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 5:49 PM

terryannonline on May 123, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Three letters: FEC

technopeasant on May 13, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Huh? Are u saying she doesn’t want to run for president?

terryannonline on May 13, 2011 at 5:51 PM

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 5:44 PM

It was Newt that got Clinton re-elected.

What they meant was Newt’s policies were very popular and Clinton got credit for them and got re-elected.

I’m not going to support him… but I could vote for him if I have to.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 5:53 PM

terryannonline on May 13, 2011 at 5:51 PM

On her own timetable and after she gets ALL her ducks in a row and can’t be undermined by the Left with the FEC.

The Left will file a million complaints with the FEC if they have to stop Palin from being a viable candidate.

technopeasant on May 13, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Um, why isn’t she in Iowa?

terryannonline on May 13, 2011 at 5:42 PM

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 5:47 PM

But what if the longer she waits….some one else swoops in and wins them over.

terryannonline on May 13, 2011 at 5:54 PM

It was Newt that got Clinton re-elected.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 5:53 PM

That could be taken several ways.

In any case he folds under pressure and we need someone who will fight.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 5:56 PM

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 5:49 PM

I… didn’t know that about him. Giuliani I recall, but not Newt. Live and learn.

Yeah, Sarah Palin or maybe Rand Paul.

But what if the longer she waits….some one else swoops in and wins them over.

terryannonline on May 13, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Who? No one is gaining any traction.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 5:58 PM

But what if the longer she waits….some one else swoops in and wins them over.

terryannonline on May 13, 2011 at 5:54 PM

That’s definitely a risk. But there’s also risk in putting herself out there too early. She will be in Iowa by August at latest to participate in the Ames Straw Poll.

alwaysfiredup on May 13, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Now if we can just get Palin to stay away we can start to have a real discussion.

If not the circus continues.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 2:03 PM

In my opinion YOU are the circus clown!

Amjean on May 13, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Yeah, Sarah Palin or maybe Rand Paul.
Who? No one is gaining any traction.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 5:58 PM

I’ve got to say, Rand Paul is growing on me. Of course to admit that here is to invite scorn and vitriol from some corners. His foreign policy ideas don’t sound as wacky lately, do they? Did you happen to read that Lawrence Wright piece on Pakistan? It’s here, if you didn’t.

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 6:16 PM

technopeasant on May 13, 2011 at 5:54 PM

What does she have to hide?

/concerned ABP

(After all, dem operatives wouldn’t dream of filing a false complaint just to injure a conservative candidate)

Kataklysmic on May 13, 2011 at 6:17 PM

You and I are rarely here at the same time… and I’ve heard all the same thing over and over and over.

I’m so weary of the Palinistas.

But what is so very tiring is the gang behavior. So I will point it out when I can.

Palinistas are apparently pack animals. And they seem to have internalized Alinsky’s rules. They excel at singling out one person and attacking.

But if there is more than one… they usually will back off.

Palinistas are only happy when the numbers favor them at least 2 to 1. Then they are truly able to demonstrate the true nature of their version of “conservative” and “social conservative”.

They put the left to shame on their expert use of Alinsky tactics.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 2:31 PM

You put the stamp of “idiot” on almost every one of your
Palin bashing postings. Now and then, when you are not bashing Palin
or her supporters, you post something with context.
Either you are a guy who can’t get a gal like Palin or
you are a gal who when looking in the mirror, doesn’t see
anything resembling Palin; quite frankly, all I see is
jealousy and envy from you. Each post is quite telling.

Amjean on May 13, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Where is cschande?..I would have figured he would have here by now!..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2011 at 3:51 PM

He’s getting ready for a big speech he has to make tomorrow.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Haha, I wish. Actually, no, I don’t. I don’t need that kind of pressure yet.

I had a big research paper due today at 5, and I’ve been trying to digest the news of Mike’s big announcement before commenting on it too much.

I’ve been saying forever I think he’s running, as he’s done everything it would take to position himself well for another run. Yesterday I even joked that if he wasn’t off the fence yet, watching Mitt self-destruct in his speech probably knocked him off it, and that he was likely laughing hysterically the whole way down.

Honestly, I just wasn’t expecting an announcement this soon, but when Huck makes his mind up about something, he doesn’t wait around to act on his decision. Reading what Rollins had to say, my first thought was that he must have decided not to run, but Huckabee told Cavuto this afternoon that he hadn’t even told his family until this afternoon, and Rollins may be just playing political games to build up the hype.

At this point, I’d still say he’s running, but I’d be wrong to pretend like I’m not a little nervous about tomorrow night. I really don’t want to have to join the “I’m not excited about any of our candidates” crowd.

We’ll see!

cschande on May 13, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Ed Rollins on MSNBC just said that Huckabee is too fat to run this time.

Boy, oh boy, is Rollins’ one sick or disappointed puppy!

technopeasant on May 13, 2011 at 6:24 PM

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 6:16 PM

I am not an isolationist but I do think we need to balance the books before we go crusading. Rand isn’t a nut like his father that I have seen.

In the two World Wars we had a cushion to expand spending that due to the social programs no longer exists. If a serious war came we couldn’t pay for it. That is a national threat and needs to be dealt with IMO. Even if we want to make the universe safe for social programs we still have to make those cuts. It has to be done and we need someone willing to face the fire when they act. There just aren’t that many choices out there.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 6:24 PM

cschande on May 13, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Glad you could join the party!..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Will he or Won’t he? Mike Huckabee to announce his decision on Huckabee Show

Mike Huckabee said that even his executive producer does not know his decision on a 2012 presidential run. Only his family members were told.

texasconserv on May 13, 2011 at 6:27 PM

cschande on May 13, 2011 at 6:23 PM

I agree..I think this annoucement by Huckabee has taken a lot of folks by suprise whether they are willing to admit it or not!..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Thanks for asking! After several intense headaches, body out of whack, a medicine was not working and Mr. PPF almost over the edge with me, I had a physical done. I mean I had the Dr. check me on anything and everything. Divine Providence squeezed me in with the Dr. to get me something else.

To add insult to the injury, I had a root canal this week and yesterday a headache so bad it was from the right side of the back of the neck all the way up to my right eye. Tylenol didn’t fix it, Aleve didn’t fix it, can’t take aspirin b/c of the root canal so I go my nuclear way:

Tiger Balm on the forehead with a bandanna wrapped around my head VERY tight and move it around where the pain is. That’s the only way I could sleep last night.

Now as I type on this I feel another headache coming up. I stepped off reading and took another Aleve. If this happens tomorrow I will check with the neurologist b/c he knows about this but this doesn’t have anything to do with my epilepsy.

I joke with Mr. PPF that it’s time to “trade me in”. This morning my sis and I were joking about pulling a “Michael Jackson” on me, lol! According to lab work she told him he’s toast that I will make it till 80.

He has the patience of Job, God bless him!

ProudPalinFan on May 13, 2011 at 3:09 PM
I realize everyone’s situation and body are different,
however, would like to share my little headache story
in case it might help you or someone else.

I would get severe headaches bordering on migraine. Nothing
would help; they would come on suddenly; severe pain above
the eyebrow with nausea. Although I do not have allergies
that had been diagnosed or sinus issues, my doctor gave
me a prescription for Allegra. Any time I feel one coming
on I take one and the onset of a headache disappears.
Allegra is sold over the counter now; I still have some
pills left from my prescription so I haven’t tried those
yet. For what it is worth! Hope you feel better.

Amjean on May 13, 2011 at 6:28 PM

There just aren’t that many choices out there.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Yeah, but I think they’d really crucify Rand Paul in the media.

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 6:29 PM

texasconserv on May 13, 2011 at 6:27 PM

This is not a trap question..What do you think it will be?..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2011 at 6:30 PM

There just aren’t that many choices out there.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 6:24 PM

BTW, you know that bit about Newt being a cross-dresser was just a joke, right? I don’t want to start any untoward rumors…

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Looks interesting I have it bookmarked. I think he isn’t taking Islam into account as to the disparate outcomes but haven’t really read it yet.

Yeah, but I think they’d really crucify Rand Paul in the media.

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 6:29 PM

They will crucify anyone who isn’t Democrat. It doesn’t matter in any case. We have to elect someone who will make a difference or… it won’t make any difference.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 6:33 PM

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Yeah I know. Heck at this point that would probably help him.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Yeah I know. Heck at this point that would probably help him.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 6:34 PM

OHHH EWWWWW! My Mental Image is now BADDD!

upinak on May 13, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Go to the link I posted above. The New Yorker page (if you bookmarked that one) is messed up. I found it fascinating and also disheartening.

Yeah I know. Heck at this point that would probably help him.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 6:34 PM

LOL Riiight. With that all so important demo.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 6:33 PM

I know. I guess what I mean is that Rand is something of an unknown quantity and I’m not sure what there is in his background that might come back to haunt him (other than the hilarious college-type abduction hijinks from the Senatorial campaign.)

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 6:39 PM

If Palin would just drop of the race that she isn’t in yet, there would be peace on earth and good will to men…..

idesign on May 13, 2011 at 4:01 PM

But will it make the muslims like us? Because, that is what is most important.

lonestar1 on May 13, 2011 at 6:42 PM

But will it make the muslims like us? Because, that is what is most important.

lonestar1 on May 13, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Oh, so not cooling the earth anymore? Okay, gotcha.

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 6:43 PM

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 6:39 PM

He is and we aren’t sure his fathers nuttiness didn’t infect him as well. Maybe he’s just got more self control. That’s why I like Palin. She will fight. She has been vetted as no one has ever been vetted before and she might (30% chance) actually cut something.

Personally I think we are doomed to an economic collapse before the average voter wakes up. Hope I am wrong about that.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 6:46 PM

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Economic collapse or social collapse? Those ‘crisis garden’ ads at theBlaze.com are weighing heavily on my mind!

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 7:02 PM

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Economic. Society never really collapses. Even in Somalia they had a functional society of a sort. It won’t get that bad but it will mean that the socialisms may be brought out and given a spin. International socialism, or national socialism. Who knows? The US will be swamped by Hispanics and/or Islam. Islam is growing in Latin America as is the influence of Liberation theology and I suspect it will be one of those who end up as top dog.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 7:15 PM

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Either way, I worry about the society my children will inherit. What do you do for a living? You can decline to answer if that’s too inquisitive, but you sound like an academic (no, not in a bad way, Mr. Sensitive!)

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 7:16 PM

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Investments. I manage a personal portfolio that supports me and my brother (he’s schizophrenic). My niece has moved out now with a baby and boyfriend (NOT married, grrrr). If an economic downturn hits I will be worried at the losses but I think we can survive IF the government doesn’t start grabbing everything it can. That’s a big IF.

Not an academic in any sense but an amateur one. I just like learning new things.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 7:22 PM

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Ah. Buying lots of gold these days?

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Ah. Buying lots of gold these days?

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Equities invested in copper, silver and gold.

I have thought about purchasing physical gold but if they seize gold you are out of luck which they very well may do. With gold stocks you have more flexibility and you can shift to what’s hot more quickly.

Still wouldn’t mind owning some but I would prefer to purchase it anonymously so they don’t know you own it.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 7:30 PM

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 7:30 PM

And anyway, it’s starting to feel like a bit of a bubble..

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 7:32 PM

And anyway, it’s starting to feel like a bit of a bubble..

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 7:32 PM

It keeps going up. People are afraid and fleeing to safety. Thats not going away soon. If gold is a good idea then a well researched gold stock should do well. If gold starts to fall you can shift it into timber or back into treasuries or even the Singapore or Canadian dollar.

sharrukin on May 13, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Whatever benefits Huckleberry most……..

PappyD61 on May 13, 2011 at 11:31 PM

I wonder if I should say anything. No, I can’t. You’ll just have to tune in to find out (cue theme song).

apacalyps on May 14, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Has anyone explored the possibility of Mike running for the U.S. Senate to unseat Bill Nelson in Florida?

Maybe it’s just me; but everyone has been speculating for some time that Mike was in the mix for running for President so if he announces this tonight, I’m not sure how much of a shock or surprise this would be for anyone. There seems to be a lot of hype about the show tonight for something that has been known was a possibility for some time ago.

tdavisjr on May 14, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Will Mike Huckabee and Apacalyps make another run for the White House? Tune in tonight at 5 p.m. Pacific, that would be, um, 8 p.m. Eastern. It won’t be long now. I’m so NERVOUS!!!

apacalyps on May 14, 2011 at 7:05 PM

cynccook on May 13, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Thanks for the link. I’m getting to like Rand too; he’s milder than his father (a bit too much so in some ways IMO) but he’s a hell of a lot more electable. Ron’s been tweaking too many establishment noses for too long to have any real chance.

Uncle Sams Nephew on May 16, 2011 at 4:42 PM