The obligatory “still no idea if Mitch Daniels is running for president” post

posted at 9:57 pm on May 12, 2011 by Allahpundit

Remember all those news stories this morning about Mrs. Daniels’s big speech to the Indiana GOP tonight and how it maybe hopefully possibly might finally offer an inkling as to whether the Hoosier Hamlet was ready to jump in?

Nope:

At an Indiana GOP dinner featuring first lady Cheri Daniels as keynote speaker, Mitch Daniels spoke for a few minutes — and gave little away about his 2012 plans.

“This whole business of running for national office … I’m not saying I won’t do it,” he said, talking about how he had planned to go “to some quiet place … [like the] outdoors cable network” after his term as governor was over…

Cheri Daniels said little that alluded to 2012 in her keynote speech. (Although Daniels fans may want to note that she said: “If Mitch wants me to do something and he thinks the answer’s going to be no, he tells Cindy [Hoye, the executive director of the Indiana State Fair Commission] to ask me.”)

“Look, just make a decision. It’s time,” grumbled Larry Sabato afterwards. Today would have been the perfect moment, not only giving his wife a chance to quell media doubts by publicly blessing his candidacy but capitalizing on the contrast with Romney’s widely derided health-care speech this morning. As one establishment favorite was melting down, another would have been riding in to replace him. Instead, another day of diffidence. I don’t get it.

To atone for this latest entry in the endless excruciating will-he-or-won’t-he Daniels speculation dreariness, I offer you a piece of mindless video joie de vivre. This dude’s skills are downright … Huntsman-esque.

Comments

Dick Lugar without the hair. Arlen Specter without the snarl.

NoNails on May 12, 2011 at 9:59 PM

The obligatory “I’m not interested in McCain 2008, Part Deux” comment.

powerpro on May 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Well, did he at least say he’s sorry for RomneyCare?

Rocks on May 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Daniels has done some good things and seems to be mainly conservative. However his timing, political instincts, and foot-in-mouth disease may be his undoing.

Kataklysmic on May 12, 2011 at 10:02 PM

We’re rapidly approaching the point at which I will no longer care at all.

myrenovations on May 12, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Gutsy.

He’s a deep thinker.

He’s sleeping on it.

Just like his BFF Barry Soetoro.

SouthernGent on May 12, 2011 at 10:02 PM

The Great 2012 GOP Hope? Nope.

No charisma. Politically anemic. Not terribly conservative. Behaving downright weird and antisocial. Next.

Terrie on May 12, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I know a lot more about the Daniel’s family dynamics than I ever wanted to.

This coy BS is getting tiresome. We are not asking him to the prom.

Make a damn decision, or shut up.

sharrukin on May 12, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I guarantee that today I could get a majority of the public in America to shake their heads and talk about the mother who gives her 7 year old beauty contestant daughter botox injections and waxings, and get a blank stare with who “Mitch Daniels” is.

Marcus on May 12, 2011 at 10:05 PM

So we’ve got the absolute worst president in the history of this country sitting in the white house, and we have the opportunity to hand him his ass by electing a dynamic candidate who should be conjured from our collective ids, and the best we can do is a bunch of also-rans and hem-hawers?

If you don’t know if you want to be president, then YOU’RE NOT PRESIDENTIAL.

effin judas priest. Can’t anyone good step forward?

Anyone?

somewhatconcerned on May 12, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Speaking as someone who might very well be a Daniels guy in the primaries, I am bloody WEARY of this nonsense by now. “Well, maybe I will, maybe I won’t, it’s a big decision to make, etc.” WEEKS of this sh!t. Either declare, or SHUT UP about how you might be considering thinking about maybe choosing to possibly decide to throw his hat into the ring. Can I get that, Mitch? Declare, or shut up until you are ready to officially declare. Enough with the damn c0ckteasing.

Vyce on May 12, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Don’t tell me. As a kid, his nickname was “Lightnin”, right?/
Squish city.

kingsjester on May 12, 2011 at 10:14 PM

MITCH Daniels reminds me of LINUS without the blanket!!!

…..or did Daniels keep one in his RV while campaigning for Indiana Gov?

LINUS DANIELS 2012!!!
Blankies for All

PappyD61 on May 12, 2011 at 10:14 PM

This dude’s skills are downright … Huntsman-esque.

It took three weeks to shoot that stuff… And Mitch is going for Obama’s voters… the ones who think Barry’s sleeping on important stuff is a good thing…
So yup… I get the connection.

RalphyBoy on May 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM

If Cheri wears the pants, no thanks.

John the Libertarian on May 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Who…?

Seven Percent Solution on May 12, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Does anyone know what Linus became when he grew up?

PappyD61 on May 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Norton block an attack when I followed that link… Twice (yes I double checked)…

RalphyBoy on May 12, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Perpetual LOSER.

davek70 on May 12, 2011 at 10:23 PM

I’m not sure which interests me less: Daniels’ decision, or the ‘trick-shot’ video.

In that sense, it’s appropriate Allah put both in this post.

Next up, Trump’s latest intimate revelation, paired with a video of a doorknob collection.

Splashman on May 12, 2011 at 10:25 PM

and the voters say…

… ZZzzzzz

Lawrence on May 12, 2011 at 10:26 PM

John the Libertarian on May 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Good to see you!..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Vyce on May 12, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Exactly. From my perspective, Daniels is one of the frontrunners, assuming he runs, but this hemming and hawing does not reflect well on him at all.

Splashman on May 12, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Make a damn decision, or shut up.

sharrukin on May 12, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Why does Daniels have to makea decision yet and not Palin?..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 10:33 PM

I feel bad for him. He’s probably a good man and couldn’t be any worse than what is there now, but does he want to put his family through it? His wife will be called a wh*r# from here to the ends of the earth. Plus, he has to catch the attention of those with the attention spans of gnats and he’s just not that compelling for those people.

kim roy on May 12, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Make a damn decision, or shut up.

sharrukin on May 12, 2011 at 10:05 PM
Why does Daniels have to make a decision yet and not Palin?..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 10:33 PM

SFTT!..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 10:35 PM

There’s something mawkish and eerie about him. He says he was open for a draft committee. It’s not as if he wants to run or not, he wants reassurance from the thought leaders, from Bush, from everybody on the earth kneeling down before him and begging hom, oh mitch, thou art the greatestand do us a favor and be our president so that you can spend trillions where you previously spent only billions. He seems too needy for attention and adulation.

promachus on May 12, 2011 at 10:38 PM

And to think for midgets like this, the GOP establishment kept slandering a bondafide superstar.

promachus on May 12, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Why does Daniels have to makea decision yet and not Palin?..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Because he’s the one playing the constant “am I going to run, or am I not” game. Its just a look at me, look at me sort of annoyance that makes you want to slap him.

It may seem strange to you that we judge people on what they really say and what they really do, but thats how we roll.

SFTT!..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Are you talking to yourself now?

sharrukin on May 12, 2011 at 10:43 PM

promachus on May 12, 2011 at 10:39 PM

It’s okay. I don’t take it personally.

Splashman on May 12, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Are you talking to yourself now?

sharrukin on May 12, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Maybe Daniels is not going to run?..Maybe he is?..Looks like he will let us know when he gets ready!..:)

PS..Just apologizing for the typo!..

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Sounds like its up to his wife to decide for him.

sharrukin on May 12, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Sounds like its up to his wife to decide for him.

sharrukin on May 12, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Maybe it is a family decision!..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 10:51 PM

The suspense is killing me. LOL

JimP on May 12, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Speaking as someone who might very well be a Daniels guy in the primaries

Vyce on May 12, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Why does this not surprise me?

bw222 on May 12, 2011 at 10:57 PM

The window of opportunity for Mitch is closing. Is he serious? We don’t see him under attack by Obama’s media horde as yet. Both Rove and Axelrod are tempting him into a suicide run. For his sake he better leave the fighting to a girl.

jimw on May 12, 2011 at 10:58 PM

I don’t think Daniels is running..IMHO!..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Maybe it is a family decision!..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Yep. As soon as he consults the wife, the kids, the basset hound, the flabby tabby and the smarter of the two goldfish, he’ll let us know “his” decision.

Ugh. Quite simply, there isn’t any upside to this publicly drawn-out decision, and plenty of downside. If he has this much trouble with a comparatively simple decision, do we want him in the White House? Regardless, he should have kept his mouth shut until he made his decision. What a concept, eh?

Splashman on May 12, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Oh, boo hoo for everybody here. You’re getting tired of waiting for Hamlet to make his decision. You must know! This is an outrage!

Spare me your outrage. Daniels’ decision can come when he damn well feels like making it.

MaxMBJ on May 12, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Mitch is afraid of his wife. I don’t know if that means he is very smart or very dumb…..

unseen on May 12, 2011 at 11:10 PM

MaxMBJ on May 12, 2011 at 11:08 PM

No we are saying that if Hamlet cannot make up his mind then he has no business asking anyone to vote for him, or allowing us privileged glimpses into his family dynamics.

If he can’t make the call, then he sure isn’t going to do well in the White House. We already have a ditherer in chief.

sharrukin on May 12, 2011 at 11:16 PM

sharrukin on May 12, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Well we do know that if Daniels runs and wins who the power behind the throne will be. I think Cheri will be the most powerful First Lady in the history of the Republic.

unseen on May 12, 2011 at 11:18 PM

The Google link was to an image of the original Linus with his blankie.

Just Google Images: LINUS.

Striking similarities.

PappyD61 on May 12, 2011 at 11:22 PM

unseen on May 12, 2011 at 11:18 PM

That’s not a comforting thought given that she bailed out on her children and left them behind for some guy.

sharrukin on May 12, 2011 at 11:23 PM

sharrukin on May 12, 2011 at 11:23 PM

true but i doubt she will invite copkiller supporting poets to the WH either so ther eis that….

unseen on May 12, 2011 at 11:47 PM

unseen on May 12, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Very excited by the choices we have.

sharrukin on May 12, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Vyce on May 12, 2011 at 10:13 PM

ROFL…well at least there’s SOMEone who’s worked up about it…

pseudoforce on May 13, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Enough with the damn c0ckteasing.

Vyce on May 12, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Quite a thing to hear coming from a Palin detractor. You must be lacking a sense of irony. Given any thought to who you might vote for in the primaries if Mitch Daniels doesn’t run?

gryphon202 on May 13, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Great. Just what the MSM ordered, somebody waiting for a hall pass from the Mrs.

Limerick on May 13, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 10:32 PM

You too! Love the SFTT acronym! Keep it up!

John the Libertarian on May 13, 2011 at 12:06 AM

Limerick on May 13, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Well just think. If Mitch won him and the speaker can have tear jerk session nightly on the news.

Can we get some freaking men to run? It is a damn shame the candidate with the most testerone is a woman from AK.

the elites mistake betaness for seriousness. I think the dems are placing estorgen in the GOp’s water in DC.

unseen on May 13, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Here we are, with a President who is socialist in all but name, facing almost certain and immediate economic disaster, foreign policy in a shambles, and prominent GOP career politicians are playing idiotic ‘will he or won’t he’ games disguised as nuanced campaign strategy. It’s time, fellas (and ladies). Quit fooling around: either you want it or you don’t. Grab for the big brass ring and make your intentions known or politely shut up and step aside.

troyriser_gopftw on May 13, 2011 at 12:17 AM

FORD 1976!!

BUSH 1992!!

DOLE 1996!!

McCAIN 2008!!

MITCH 2012!!

The GOP establishment never tires of losing elections!!

PappyD61 on May 13, 2011 at 12:25 AM

PappyD61 on May 13, 2011 at 12:25 AM

Take Jerry off the list and I’ll applaude. I worked for him and his nemisis and I can tell ya that the country was pretty borked in 76. It wasn’t Jerry who lost it. It was OUR meltdown that put Jimmah’s hand on the key to the WH.

Limerick on May 13, 2011 at 1:00 AM

ummm forgive me for asking…but who are the dem candidates, are they all afraid to offend The One? Wheres the same media scramble.

malkinmania on May 13, 2011 at 7:09 AM

People! The election is more than a year away. There is no reason to declare this early, none at all. If I were Daniels, I would hold out as long as possible to protect my family from the intense media scrutiny to follow. Why have it last 18 months when it could only be 12 or 10 month?

In the meantime, this is a great opportunity to watch these potential contenders at their current jobs. If Daniels starts commenting on foreign issues, it means that he is studying them in depth and positioning himself. Until then, his potential candidacy is one of media design, not his own choice.

piglet on May 13, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Why does Daniels have to makea decision yet and not Palin?..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Because she isn’t boring or balding. Don’t you know what matters?

MJBrutus on May 13, 2011 at 7:30 AM

sharrukin on May 12, 2011 at 11:16 PM

unseen on May 12, 2011 at 11:18 PM

The primary reason I will never vote for him, even if he hit the jackpot and won the nomination. He has no respect from me as a man, and like so many world leaders and the current POTUS, he will be mocked, laughed at and have no respect abroad after being cuckolded and then taking her back. I want Palin to run and I’d back her or Cain, but I’d vote for most of the empty suits not one of them.

Newt and his parkbench, Daniels and his absence of cojones are two people who will never get my vote, even if they are the only that stands between us an Four More Years.

/palin12

elcapt on May 13, 2011 at 7:34 AM

I don’t think his vacillation hurts anything. Outside a few political junkies and people in his own state, how many people know or care about him anyway? So whenever he gets in, he’ll be building from scratch as far as public perceptions go.

In doing that, social issues are off the table of course, and he doesn’t seem to have any kind of personality or looks, so it’s down to endorsements. Important people will say, “you ought to vote for Mitch Daniels,” and Republican primary voters will obey or not obey.

Given that, his focus on having insiders like him and his seeming indifference to the public are simply rational. He has one shot, and he’s giving it all he’s got.

David Blue on May 13, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Why does Daniels have to make a decision yet and not Palin?..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Exactly!

The Palinistas love to keep saying “She’ll decide on her own time” etc etc etc.

JetBoy on May 13, 2011 at 8:37 AM

elcapt on May 13, 2011 at 7:34 AM

I’m sorry, that is a bunch of BS. This marital hiatus happened in the ’90′s. Clearly, Mrs. Daniels realized that she screwed up and returned to the good guy. You have NO IDEA what went on behind closed doors to resurrect that marriage. I would imagine it had a lot to do with 4 YOUNG DAUGHTERS, so it might be that Daniels put their feelings ahead of his own. Some people might call that a SACRIFICE, and I would agree with that.

If this happened 3-4 years ago, I might be more concerned. As it is, they obviously have survived the situation with a strong marriage and that security in family is going to be essential for the next GOP candidate.

I have a lot of respect for Mitch Daniels and it grows as I get to know his record and his demeanor. He is the antithesis of our current office holder, he is not photogenic, he does not have a glamor seeking spouse, he is measured in tone and, apparently, strong in action. He had a clear course of action he wanted to take in Indiana and he succeeded. That is why his name is bandied about as a presidential contender.

To be frank, I think his marriage signals his true beliefs about the important of marriage and family, just as Sarah Palin having Trig signals that she lives what she believes. We need leaders like this.

piglet on May 13, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Why does Daniels have to make a decision yet and not Palin?..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 10:33 PM

This.

I bet the huge majority of people bitching about this are Palinbots.

Oh, but it’s different when it’s Sarah not deciding yet. Because she’s playing the media like a fiddle or something…

KeepOhioRed on May 13, 2011 at 9:30 AM

I will repeat what I said in the headline thread: He is a pale pastel when we need bold colors.

SKYFOX on May 13, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Daniels should be doing all this considering privately.

My first reaction was to think he was a jerk who was trying to use public pressure against his own wife!

He probably wishes this weren’t so public, but now that it is, he is not handling it very well.

I want to support him, but this makes him look really weak!!! And very vulnerable to the circus treatment!!!! I don’t want more circus!

And his wife is not going to get nice treatment. She will be a target and they have given them the weak spot right up front. She may not have what it takes to do this.

The left is sucessfully wounding each and everyone of our candidates! The opposition research was done long ago and they know first impressions last. So they are hitting hard early.

And they are doing it so slyly! Killing some with kindness, Romney and Huntsman, they know the buttons to push on those… and now leaking messy personal issues about Daniels wife.

All but Pawlenty. They don’t consider him a threat yet. If they do start to feel threatened I’m sure Pawlenty will be shown to be Obama’s best friend… a possible running mate… just like Huntsman and Romney. That is their scandal of last resort. Turn our own dislike of Obama against us, clever.

And boy do they know the buttons to push to get the unstable “conservatives” to throw conniptions.

The left must have been planning this for a long time.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 10:50 AM

People are probably done with this thread, but I can’t help but feel like Daniels is getting a raw deal here. He might have been talking to others in GOP leadership about pursuing higher office, but as far as I can tell, he hasn’t been telling the media 24/7 that he’s thinking about it. They are asking him.

They are asking him.

Just like when Trump had them asking him in every interview about Obama’s birth certificate, he didn’t have to bring it up because they did first.

Frankly, what the left does to our candidates doesn’t amount to a hill of beans if we don’t have closed primaries because they already have their guy, so they will cross over and make mischief in our primaries. That has to be the beginning of the battle.

I don’t intend to let the media decide who I vote for by using this measure of perfection that the media decides on. I trust my BS reader and can assess who I think is a true leader.

piglet on May 13, 2011 at 12:47 PM

somewhatconcerned on May 12, 2011 at 10:11 PM

In that case, check out Herman Cain. You’ll like what you see, methinks.

OneGyT on May 13, 2011 at 5:29 PM