Romney’s speech on RomneyCare: I’m not sorry

posted at 4:21 pm on May 12, 2011 by Allahpundit

The moment of truth has come and gone but the horrified real-time reaction in the conservative twittersphere echoes on. These nuggets from Philip Klein, Jonah Goldberg, and Mollie Hemingway will give you a taste; liberal Ezra Klein came closest to capturing the spirit of the thing while our old pal KP wondered whether Mitt’s ever actually met a Republican primary voter. I’m not surprised that he doubled down, though. Read this post from two days ago about the particular pitfall to Romney in apologizing. Pawlenty can afford to eat crow and say he’s sorry about cap and trade because his conservative record is otherwise solid; not so for Romney, who’ll forever be haunted by the seeming opportunism of his reversal on abortion before the last campaign and his transformation from social-con warrior to an economy-minded technocrat before this one. He won’t be able to hide from RomneyCare even if he begs for forgiveness, so why bother? Better to stand firm and at least try to undo the perception that he’ll say anything to get elected. Chris Cillizza:

Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney used a speech on health care today in Michigan to send a broader message about his commitment to authenticity in the 2012 presidential race…

But, it wasn’t just the words Romney used that aimed to push the authenticity narrative.

He spoke without a prepared script and without a TelePrompter, choosing instead to use a PowerPoint presentation to make his case. He wore no tie. He was accompanied to the speech by just three staffers.

The entire presentation screamed openness, pushing the idea that Romney is someone willing to be transparent about what he believes and why he believes it.

No one would have believed him had he apologized so there was no sense in doing it. On the contrary, if I were advising him, I’d tell him to go on the attack and make his opponents be as specific as possible in what they’d do differently. The more he can discredit their plans as unworkable, the more he can reframe RomneyCare as the best choice from a very bad set of health-care policy options. In fact, if he’s feeling extra cheeky, he could use the public’s ruinous love affair with Medicare to his advantage. Under RomneyCare, the state forces you to buy a product from a third party; under Medicare, the state forces you to buy the same product from the state. It simply calls it a tax instead of a mandate, and instead of granting you coverage immediately, it shafts you until you’re 65. Do Pawlenty, Gingrich, et al. also oppose the “mandated” premiums known as FICA? I’m not sure Romney wants to go the Mediscare route since it’ll make fiscal cons even angrier at him than they are now, but if he gets desperate enough, look out. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Wow, talk about thread drift. I thought the article was about RomneyCare and his refusal to apologize for it, not about Sarah Palin and csdeven. But, hey, whatever floats your boat. Bwahahahahaha.

Tennman on May 13, 2011 at 11:45 AM

i have been saying this since Obamacare passed. The madate is involuntary servitude and is outlawed by the 13th amendment. tha tis how you attack Obamacare and the mandates. The government is outlawed from forcing anyone to work to benefit another. With the mandate we are forced by law to work to increase the profits of the insurance industry.

unseen on May 12, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Under that argument, nearly all forms of taxes constitute “slavery”.

There is a legitimate case to be made that the Obamacare mandate is unconsitutional, but yours is absurd.

Hollowpoint on May 13, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Under that argument, nearly all forms of taxes constitute “slavery”.

Hollowpoint on May 13, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Yeah, you get points for creativity unseen, but that line of argument is dead in the water.

Lawdawg86 on May 13, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Tennman on May 13, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I gave up on that yesterday.

Every thread is a Palin thread. Her people congregate here.

We may never be able to do anything but rehash 2008 over and over again.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Under that argument, nearly all forms of taxes constitute “slavery”.

Hollowpoint on May 13, 2011 at 12:08 PM

They do constitute slavery when they are used to buy votes with wealth redistribution schemes. But when they pay for public facilities and benefits that keep me safe, and that I have the option of using, I think that’s far more morally correct than our current system.

gryphon202 on May 13, 2011 at 12:49 PM

And that is ONLY the issue of her abdication! She will then have all the problems any other republican candidate will have is the area of conservatism.

csdeven on May 13, 2011 at 10:53 AM

You call it a bug. I call it a feature. You believe with all the faith of a zealot that the vast majority of Americans feel the same way you do. I’m not so sure about that. The only way to know for sure is for her to run (or decide not to) and let things play out as they will.

gryphon202 on May 13, 2011 at 12:52 PM

I gave up on that yesterday.

Every thread is a Palin thread. Her people congregate here.

We may never be able to do anything but rehash 2008 over and over again.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I blame CS. Your mileage may vary.

gryphon202 on May 13, 2011 at 12:53 PM

gryphon202 on May 13, 2011 at 12:52 PM

To relate the two issues… the Resignation is Palin’s Romneycare.

She really has no satisfying reason.

And there were so many rumours in the wake of it.

This is an issue.

Very few people give Romney a pass on Romneycare… I’m not ruling anyone out but I’m not supporting either.

The stakes are too high.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 1:28 PM

We may never be able to do anything but rehash 2008 over and over again.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Pro-ject-ion. I look forward to her campaign.

alwaysfiredup on May 13, 2011 at 1:31 PM

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Oh gosh, rumors! People are saying things! We must run and hide. /

You are turning into a Palin conspiracist.

alwaysfiredup on May 13, 2011 at 1:33 PM

To relate the two issues… the Resignation is Palin’s Romneycare.

She really has no satisfying reason.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 1:28 PM

This is precisely what I mean when I talk about the confusion of fact and opinion. She may have no reason that satisfies you. I am of the opinion that she did the right thing, not only by herself, but by her state. Between you and I, this is a difference-of-opinion, and I can live with a difference-of-opinion. Where the difference-of-opinion ends and the personal insults begin is with the douchebaggery that suggests that somehow I am stupid and don’t know any better because Palin abrogated her duty without a good reason, and therefore she is radioactive. You lose me in that premise, not because I’m a cultist, but exactly because I believe her reasons for leaving the governorship are quite satisfactory. I can’t deny that her poll numbers are grim, but I just don’t care. I just know that I am called “unthinking” and a “cultist” because I am NOT ignoring her stated reasons for quitting, while the enlightened among us judge her even as they DO ignore them, and think that a clear majority of voters will as well. I just don’t care. If you guys turn out to be right about Palin’s chances for election, and I certainly have my doubts, no one else’s vote is going to determine mine. I’m not a worm, I am not a sheep, and I refuse to be dragged down to that level.

gryphon202 on May 13, 2011 at 1:38 PM

She really has no satisfying reason.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 1:28 PM

That’s because you are obtuse.

And Romney is toast.

Sporty1946 on May 13, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I have never said I don’t think Palin can win. I don’t think we have any idea right now who could win and who could not.

I don’t want Palin to win. I don’t think she is ready to be President. But you know that.

When Palinistas ignore the Resignation. It is a mistake.

It is exactly the same kind of issue as Romneycare.

I don’t think Romney is unqualified by Romneycare, but I do think it could make it impossible to repeal Obamacare and will be a constant problem that may make him unelectable.

Plenty of people think Romneycare is someting Romney can get past and still win. I’m less sure.

I only say that, not because I’m pushing Romney. But rather to get the Palinistas to understand that the resignation is just as big. And in combination with her inexperience is a true problem that can’t be ignored.

I don’t discount you or anyone else who says Romneycare is the end of Mitt’s chances. I have not even looked closedly at Romney since he got in because I think it is such a big deal. I liked his plan yesterday and I think his ideas have merit whether he is the nominee or not.

But the Resignation and all the issues and rumours surrounding it are a big deal, as big as Romneycare.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 2:45 PM

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Yeah, I do. And at least your honesty is somewhat refreshing in that regard. But I do get that vibe from a lot of the ABPers around here (and let’s face it, Petunia, you absolutely are one): Look at those rubes that think Palin has a chance!

I don’t know what Palin’s chances are. Honestly, if scientific polls don’t cut it for me, I don’t know how else I’m supposed to form an opinion this early. I just have two things to say to the current crop of ABP flunkies…

To those of you who don’t think she’s ready: Learn about her record. Her whole record. It’s no secret, and it speaks for itself.

To those of you who don’t think she’s electable: Man up and grow a pair. If you really like her as much as so many of you claim to, it shouldn’t matter. Letting someone else determine how you vote, especially when that someone else is an anonymous poll participant, just makes all the naysaying into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

gryphon202 on May 13, 2011 at 2:58 PM

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Actually, it’s not “her people.” It’s people like csdeven and Bradky and a few others who change the direction and channel by making gratuitous snarky comments, labeling supporters of other candidates as morons, idiots, Palinista’s [sic], and bringing up Sarah Palin as evidence of their winning personalities.

Oh, and csdeven is either a paid astrotufer for Mitt or he just takes it upon himself to be that cicada-like drone that drowns out all other points of view. He may come on and try to deny it, but come on: An Idahoan in hotbed LDS country calling everyone who isn’t for his candidate a bigoted Christian? Well, you can try to sell me a bridge to nowhere, but I haven’t that kind of gullibility cash available.

Tennman on May 13, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Oh, and I finally figured out what ABP means, I guess — anybody but Palin. Am I right? Just for my information so I stop thinking Aggravating Big Person or Annoying Big Pr**k or A Boring Perv or something.

Tennman on May 13, 2011 at 3:36 PM

By the way, Petunia, you were pushing huntsman and I hope you read the article in the desnews this morning about his religious question. It’s a question. He knows what happened to Mitt last time, and so winning is more important to him than his religion.

Bambi on May 13, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Tennman on May 13, 2011 at 3:36 PM

All of the above, as far as I’m concerned.

gryphon202 on May 13, 2011 at 4:50 PM

To relate the two issues… the Resignation is Palin’s Romneycare.

She really has no satisfying reason.

And there were so many rumours in the wake of it.

This is an issue.

The stakes are too high.

petunia on May 13, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Sears called, they want their Phi Betta Kappa Certificate back…

Gohawgs on May 14, 2011 at 6:09 AM