Romney’s speech on RomneyCare: I’m not sorry

posted at 4:21 pm on May 12, 2011 by Allahpundit

The moment of truth has come and gone but the horrified real-time reaction in the conservative twittersphere echoes on. These nuggets from Philip Klein, Jonah Goldberg, and Mollie Hemingway will give you a taste; liberal Ezra Klein came closest to capturing the spirit of the thing while our old pal KP wondered whether Mitt’s ever actually met a Republican primary voter. I’m not surprised that he doubled down, though. Read this post from two days ago about the particular pitfall to Romney in apologizing. Pawlenty can afford to eat crow and say he’s sorry about cap and trade because his conservative record is otherwise solid; not so for Romney, who’ll forever be haunted by the seeming opportunism of his reversal on abortion before the last campaign and his transformation from social-con warrior to an economy-minded technocrat before this one. He won’t be able to hide from RomneyCare even if he begs for forgiveness, so why bother? Better to stand firm and at least try to undo the perception that he’ll say anything to get elected. Chris Cillizza:

Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney used a speech on health care today in Michigan to send a broader message about his commitment to authenticity in the 2012 presidential race…

But, it wasn’t just the words Romney used that aimed to push the authenticity narrative.

He spoke without a prepared script and without a TelePrompter, choosing instead to use a PowerPoint presentation to make his case. He wore no tie. He was accompanied to the speech by just three staffers.

The entire presentation screamed openness, pushing the idea that Romney is someone willing to be transparent about what he believes and why he believes it.

No one would have believed him had he apologized so there was no sense in doing it. On the contrary, if I were advising him, I’d tell him to go on the attack and make his opponents be as specific as possible in what they’d do differently. The more he can discredit their plans as unworkable, the more he can reframe RomneyCare as the best choice from a very bad set of health-care policy options. In fact, if he’s feeling extra cheeky, he could use the public’s ruinous love affair with Medicare to his advantage. Under RomneyCare, the state forces you to buy a product from a third party; under Medicare, the state forces you to buy the same product from the state. It simply calls it a tax instead of a mandate, and instead of granting you coverage immediately, it shafts you until you’re 65. Do Pawlenty, Gingrich, et al. also oppose the “mandated” premiums known as FICA? I’m not sure Romney wants to go the Mediscare route since it’ll make fiscal cons even angrier at him than they are now, but if he gets desperate enough, look out. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

So not Palin… just the others.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 6:01 PM

I’m gobsmacked. Absolutely jaw-droppingly gobsmacked.

gryphon202 on May 12, 2011 at 6:03 PM

petunia: Actually, I can decide whether of not someone follows the ideals of conservatism. That is called making a judgement call.

If you wish not to make that judgement call, that is your choice. But don’t attack me for choosing to make it.

Or you can, as you say, believe that words have no meaning. However, if you believe that, then you should not be trying to have a discussion in a forum, as there is no way of agreeing on anything if the words used have no meaning.

Romney is not conservative because he supports (or, at least, supported) an individual mandate. That is, he believes that people are entitled to things that are not theirs.

And yes, before you tu quoque, I don’t believe 80+% of the GOP would pass that test, either.

That does not, however, necessarily mean that the test is faulty. It could mean that, but it can (and IMO does) mean that the GOP is failing conservatism.

More and more, it is clear that the Republican party does not support conservative ideals. To expect conservatives to blindly vote for them as ‘better than the other party’ is how we got 8 years of big government ‘conservatism’ in Bush 43.

Now, as to Romney’s ‘new plan’. You already said that you mistrust him for Romneycare. So I ask again. Why do you trust what he says now over what he’s done in the past, without a clear repudiation of that past?

Scott H on May 12, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Found that anti-mandate language yet?

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Mitt wants to treat people and businesses the same – with the same mandates or something.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Watching Romney’s speech almost makes me hope Huck gets in the race; he truly revels in tearing down Romney.

Lawdawg86 on May 12, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Lawdawg86 on May 12, 2011 at 6:05 PM

I just wish Huck, Mitt, Obama(s), and Trump would compete for the Democratic nomination.

Michelle Obama: “Can you say food fight?!”

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Tap and double tap = Mitt’s finished

OhioCoastie on May 12, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Why does the media constantly tell us Romney is the frontrunner? Every poll I see puts him in the bottom 3rd. The only polls he does well in are the pundit polls.
Next, they’ll tell us Barack Obamnesty has a favorable rating of 60%. Ok, strike that, they already did.

lonestar1 on May 12, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Sorry I forgot we can’t treat her like she has the ability to actually do the job, because that would point out that unless we give her a break she can’t cut it.

So not Palin… just the others.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Right because other than health care, the dollar, quantitative easing, cap and trade, immigration/border security, China, debt, government waste, fraud, unions, the Tea Party, energy independence and national security concerns, she hasn’t gotten anything right!

What breaks, exactly, do you presume she’s been getting?

powerpro on May 12, 2011 at 6:07 PM

And I’m am sick of having to tell you what conservitive is.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Actually, I don’t think anyone here really understands your definition of the term. Please, enlighten us.

steebo77 on May 12, 2011 at 6:09 PM

steebo77 on May 12, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Was thinking the same thing. I’m pretty sure petunia will say something along the lines of Conservative = Republican.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 6:11 PM

A MUST READ from the Great One regarding Conservatism.

Please read the article he links to as well from the American Thinker.

Here’s a taste from Mark Levin’s piece:

…the attempt to diminish the most successful conservative candidate and president in a century, Ronald Reagan, as a way of defending philosophical incoherence and unprincipled compromise, whether practiced in the Bush administration or by others, will not win the day; nor does it contribute in any useful way to the serious substantive debate going on in this country. The American people are craving a conservative leader.

powerpro on May 12, 2011 at 6:14 PM

steebo: Something I have learned in the course of studying rhetoric is that when someone does not believe that words have intrinsic meaning, asking for definitions is a futile exercise.

I am all for obtaining definitions of terms before entering a discussion. I am surprised that the term under discussion needs definition here, though.

Scott H on May 12, 2011 at 6:15 PM

George Costanza on Romney’s speech:

“He risked his life to show us how dangerous government healthcare is! You should all be thanking him!”

Mr. Wednesday Night on May 12, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Riddle me this: If Palin’s running, why hasn’t she organized her massive grassroots support into a formidable network of campaign volunteers? I’m not talking about the primary, Palin has always been able to win the primary. I’m talking about organizing to defeat Obama in the general election. A lot of people presumed that’s what she was doing when she left office… but she didn’t. The writing is on the wall, she’s not running.

Furthermore, if she hops into the election after squandering two years when she could have been organizing and re-gaining lost ground with indies, how is that not gross campaign malpractice?

Lawdawg86 on May 12, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Mitt Romney tried to turn water (Romneycare and the individual mandate) into wine (legitimate spokesman for the repeal of Obamacare) with his speech today, with the GOP primary voters and GOP pundits soon realizing that miracle was performed a long, long time ago and not capable of being replicated.

technopeasant on May 12, 2011 at 6:18 PM

I like Romney but I don’t know he can run against Obama with Romneycare on his record.

terryannonline on May 12, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Lawdawg86 on May 12, 2011 at 6:18 PM

The fact that we are still debating the merits of her run and memes that she started years ago, it speaks for itself. At this stage in the game, as Trump and Newt have shown us, no publicity is bad publicity.

gryphon202 on May 12, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Law: I would prefer my ideal candidate to spend their time between electoral cycles making policy statements, not working on their campaign dynamics.

While I do not trivialize electoral issues, wanting a candidate that runs a seamless campaign, management speaking, above a candidate that holds the right values seems to contribute to why we are afflicted with the political class right now.

Scott H on May 12, 2011 at 6:20 PM

OH the ostrich plan. Of course. We just pretend everything is fine… That is how we got Obama.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM

My proposal… Health Savings Plans + aid for excessive costs after average life expectancy. Charities to help the poor.

How is this ostrich?

dominigan on May 12, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Lawdawg86 on May 12, 2011 at 6:18 PM

It’s called organize4palin and most of its activity is happening beneath the radar and away from cameras and the press. They are organizing in all 50 states.

technopeasant on May 12, 2011 at 6:22 PM

And more to the point, I can’t say for certain that Palin will run. She just happens to be my favorite so far. If she comes out and says “I’m not running,” then at least I’ll have kept my powder dry and ready for the rough-and-tumble of the primary season.

gryphon202 on May 12, 2011 at 6:22 PM

You are obviously unfamiliar with:

Lawdawg86 on May 12, 2011 at 6:18 PM

She regularly appears in interviews; publishes books, op-eds, and Facebook notes; has traveled to Hong Kong, India, Israel, and Haiti; and her speeches continue to draw tens of thousands wherever she goes. How negligent of her!

steebo77 on May 12, 2011 at 6:22 PM

How is this ostrich?

dominigan on May 12, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Petunia seems to have a better grasp of conservatism than the rest of us rubes, so I think she knows what an ostrich with its head in the sand looks like./

gryphon202 on May 12, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Don’t worry, Mister AP, I’m sure Mittens will be giving positive consideration to the application you sent him.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 12, 2011 at 6:24 PM

ZZZZZ….Any Republican is better than Obama. I don’t even care who the nominee is anymore.

McCain got 46%, so I figure we’ve got a shot at least .

therightwinger on May 12, 2011 at 6:26 PM

therightwinger: While that may be true, at this point I think I can say ‘Any conservative is better than any Republican.’

Scott H on May 12, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Lawdawg86 on May 12, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Apparently you don’t understand what the term “unconventional” is.

BTW… she hasn’t squandered anything.

But you know… if it makes you feel better to believe she isn’t running? Then more power to ya.

I, however, am seeing a long string of signs that point into the other direction.

powerpro on May 12, 2011 at 6:30 PM

technopeasant on May 12, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Yep.

And you can reach me at tennessee@organize4palin.com

The site is in the works. :)

powerpro on May 12, 2011 at 6:31 PM

And you can reach me at tennessee@organize4palin.com

The site is in the works. :)

powerpro on May 12, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Does anyone know anything about O4P in Pennsylvania?

steebo77 on May 12, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Like watching political suicide…

Caper29 on May 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM

I wonder if he wore his magic undies ?

stenwin77 on May 12, 2011 at 6:34 PM

You do not have the right to decide who is and who isn’t conservative.

[...]

And I’m am sick of having to tell you what conservitive is.

[...]

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM

ROFL! You don’t have the slightest idea what a conservative is. Here’s a hint… a REAL conservative can justify their policy views from our US Constitution.

Prove to me that you’re a conservative. Because I haven’t seen a conservative post yet from you… on this thread or any other.

What is the Article, Section and Clause in the US Constitution that ALLOWS the Federal Government to meddle in healthcare?

dominigan on May 12, 2011 at 6:36 PM

technopeasant on May 12, 2011 at 6:22 PM

You got it. Los Angeles for me.

rrpjr on May 12, 2011 at 6:39 PM

dominigan on May 12, 2011 at 6:36 PM

The Good and Welfare Clause!

steebo77 on May 12, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Does anyone know anything about O4P in Pennsylvania?

steebo77 on May 12, 2011 at 6:34 PM

There is a state coordinator for PA.

Send an email to info@organize4palin.com and let them know that you’re interested in getting involved on a local level!

powerpro on May 12, 2011 at 6:43 PM

I’m still waiting for that list of breaks that Palin has been given… you know, because she’s just so incompetent and fragile we just have to keep covering for her deficiencies!

powerpro on May 12, 2011 at 6:48 PM

In other words…

“I joined with Democrats in passing socialized healthcare for my state, which is now bankrupting our state.”

“Let me repeat my success as President!”

–Mitt

Petunia: OK!

dominigan on May 12, 2011 at 6:50 PM

powerpro on May 12, 2011 at 6:48 PM

And I’m still waiting for petulantnia to define conservatism…

steebo77 on May 12, 2011 at 6:50 PM

The Good and Welfare Clause!

steebo77 on May 12, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Conyers should have been laughed out of office, and then tarred and feathered! Its a shame we’ve lost some of the best parts of our American culture…

dominigan on May 12, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Do you all remember hearing Palin’s acceptance speech? Wasn’t it awesome? Find it on YouTube and listen again. Imagine the Dems crapping their diapers when they heard it.

That’s the Sarah that will be running – bank it. She will fire up the base and the indies like no body else since Reagan.

You think she’s going to let the Soros Media stop her? No way.

I will give as much money as I am legally able to give. I will work my butt off for her. I will crawl over broken glass for her. And there are thousands like me me waiting for her to announce. (i.e. Organizing4palin.com)

So folks, get ready for PRESIDENT PALIN ! She’s the only conservative left with proven results from her state.

stenwin77 on May 12, 2011 at 6:52 PM

You think she’s going to let the Soros Media stop her? No way.

stenwin77 on May 12, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Great post. I ditto every sentiment.

Kataklysmic on May 12, 2011 at 6:54 PM

petunia must be on staff with Mitt or else heavily networked into his campaign. It’s difficult to imagine another scenario.

INC on May 12, 2011 at 6:56 PM

You are obviously unfamiliar with:

Really? Is anybody not aware of those sites? You are obviously unfamiliar with what a really organizational effort looks like. Promotion of Palin’s statements is not the equivalent of organization. Those sites are part of the reason I say she isn’t taking this election seriously. Organize4Palin in particular is straight-up awful, it looks like it was assembled by an amateur fan as part of a basic HTML/CSS class. Its so… 2006.

If you want to see a real campaign operation, ObamaForAmerica/OrganizingForAmerica is the gold standard. It has its own social networking system (that can plug into Facebook and other social media outlets), blogs, a regional identification and local chapter system, a meetings page, etc. Its very dynamic, and it was exciting to Obama 2008 supporters. Palin could easily afford to build a similar network, why hasn’t she?

You misunderstand me. Those actions are not negligent, I am not faulting all of Palin’s activities since leaving office. I am saying that if she wanted to run, then she could have done all of that while building a campaign operation to rival Obama. Why hasn’t she?

Lawdawg86 on May 12, 2011 at 6:56 PM

You do not have the right to decide who is and who isn’t conservative.

If you keep using that false accusation you make “conservative” a dirty word. And all “conservative” means is mean and nasty enough to call Obama names. If that is what it means to be conservative you will suceed in making it a term everyone will run from.

And I’m am sick of having to tell you what conservitive is.

You all have this group consensus to ignore the records of people and just call names. Unless it is someone you like then you make every excuse under the sun to explain why that in that little circumstance was so brave… and not liberal in anyway. Conservative means nothing.

There is no candidate in the race or considering the race who is not conservative.

It is like a code word… a tribal word… a way of bonding together. But it is meaningless.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM

And yet you told somebody on a thread here late last night that he was a Palin supporter, so he wasn’t even a conservative! OMG WTF!!!

Aitch748 on May 12, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Lawdawg86 on May 12, 2011 at 6:56 PM

That’s the point, Dawg. For all you know, she has. For every person such as yourself that wonders what she’s been up to while she’s been so quiet, I can find three people who think she’s an attention whore. Whatevs. Until things change, I’m staying on the straight-and-narrow.

gryphon202 on May 12, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Ahhhh. The lost art of Seppuku.

Nicely done Mittens. Nicely done.

KMC1 on May 12, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Then I don’t feel sorry for not supporting him for President. Not like I did before but now I have ammunition for several neighbors who don’t understand why I didn’t support him the first time.

PhiKapMom on May 12, 2011 at 7:09 PM

I wish that Mitt would save his money and donate it to a good cause. He’ll never be in the running again so if he is in a charitable mood, perhaps he could donate to the Global Warming cause, or the Van Jones cause or to Think Progress.

If he was a true conservative, he might think of donating to a Children’s Shelter or to a homeless mother’s shelter or to Men’s drug rehabilitation program.

Key West Reader on May 12, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Lawdawg86 on May 12, 2011 at 6:56 PM

So I go to look at the site this guy is sniggering at, and right at the top I see:

NEW SITE COMING SOON

We’re now in the process of updating this site in preparation for upcoming elections. This should be completed shortly.

In the meantime you can browse through and see what we did in 2010.

Yeah, I’m totally sure Palin’s not running.

(And what the heck is wrong with http://www.sarahpac.com/ as a website that makes it look as if Palin can’t be serious about running?)

Aitch748 on May 12, 2011 at 7:16 PM

I’d still vote for him over Obama if it came down to it.

Hope it doesn’t.

profitsbeard on May 12, 2011 at 7:17 PM

NRO just shredded Mitt’s speech:

MikeknaJ on May 12, 2011 at 7:13 PM

When you’ve lost National Rino Online…

Kataklysmic on May 12, 2011 at 7:17 PM

The sub-headline for this story should be “D.O.A.”

NoLeftTurn on May 12, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Palin has always been able to win the primary
Lawdawg86 on May 12, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Wow the truth is starting to come out now isn’t it. A ABP person finally admitting the truth. amazing as Mitt falters and fails, as the next great RINO hope enters and leaves the stage one afte rthe other the ABP people are NOW starting to acknowledge the truth. The only way they can win the nomination is if Palin stays out of the race.

As far as the rest of your post. Palin unlike the RINOS know you have to win the primary before you worry about the general.

unseen on May 12, 2011 at 7:21 PM

“Under RomneyCare, the state forces you to buy a product from a third party; under Medicare, the state forces you to buy the same product from the state.”

There’s that word again…

… I just can’t find it in the Bill of Rights, nor the Constitution.

Seven Percent Solution on May 12, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Aitch748 on May 12, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Look at this! These are fans. There is nothing more or less conservative about Palin than any of the rest of them!

What sets the Palin groupies apart is that they have no issues. They just spew hate about every single other candidate. Palin fans have no respect for any one else.

Every single thread. Hate, RINO, Conservative, no arguements. Just hate.

How is that in any way, shape, or form conservative?

But now the gang is all here, bully away. I have other things to do.

I wanted to talk about healthcare in a healthcare speech thread… but the “conservatives” (the haters) came out in force.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 7:31 PM

gryphon202 on May 12, 2011 at 7:01 PM

If she announces her candidacy and unveils a campaign operation months/years-in-the-making then I will humbly eat crow and vote for Palin. But I’m just saying, she’s relatively young and uses her Facebook profile as a primary communication channel — she’s with the times. Her organization/fan sites are decidedly behind the times, and I don’t think that Palin would allow them to continue in their present states if she were planning a run.

Basically, I’m saying that if she’s planning a run, her failure to better organize her supporters (and reach out to new ones) is grossly irresponsible and reckless. I don’t think Palin is grossly irresponsible or reckless; thus, I don’t think Palin is running.

Lawdawg86 on May 12, 2011 at 7:32 PM

This is a re-post from the other thread, since I would like to see what HA people say:

First off, I think we’ll wind up with O.care then single payer in about 10 years (once O.care destroys the private sector).

Despite the caterwauling from the anti-Romney people (and no the NRO piece was hardly “withering”), we must try to improve the current situation.

Romney’s main points:

Step 1: Give states the responsibility, flexibility and resources to care for citizens who are poor, uninsured or chronically ill. This reform speaks to the central advantage of our federalist system — that different states will experiment with and settle on the solutions that suit their residents best.

Step 2: Reform the tax code to promote the individual ownership of health insurance. The tax code offers open-ended subsidies for the purchase of insurance through employers. This subsidy is unfair — as it doesn’t apply to insurance purchased on one’s own.

Step 3: Focus federal regulation of health care on making markets work. This means both correcting common failures in insurance markets as well as eliminating counterproductive federal rules.

Step 4: Reform medical liability. We should cap non-economic damages in medical malpractice litigation.

Step 5: Make health care more like a consumer market and less like a government program. This can be done by strengthening health savings accounts that help consumers save for health expenses and choose cost-effective insurance.

Now I would like for people to tell me exactly what they object to in his plan….aside from the fact that he did no apologize for MassCare.

r keller on May 12, 2011 at 7:33 PM

technopeasant on May 12, 2011 at 6:22 PM

You got it. Los Angeles for me.

rrpjr on May 12, 2011 at 6:39 PM

You got it….Illinois for me.
Yep, you all read that right, there actually is an O4P in Illinois….who’d of thunk. :)

tencole on May 12, 2011 at 7:34 PM

But now the gang is all here, bully away.

the “conservatives” (the haters) came out in force.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Poor Pitiful Petunia.
Wipe those tears and know you are fighting the good fight for RINO’s everywhere.

sharrukin on May 12, 2011 at 7:35 PM

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 7:31 PM

I have asked you three times to show me where Mitt’s plan does not involve an individual mandate. You have declined to do so. I can only conclude you are not interested in talking about Mitt or his plan.

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 7:36 PM

I don’t think Palin is running.

Lawdawg86 on May 12, 2011 at 7:32 PM

She’s more like prowling.

the_nile on May 12, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I wish that Mitt would save his money and donate it to a good cause.

Key West Reader on May 12, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Maybe he can invest in some local businesses, so they put some people to work instead. :)

tencole on May 12, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Meanwhile, somewhere off to the north, the huntress bides her time patiently and waits. . .

NoLeftTurn on May 12, 2011 at 7:39 PM

technopeasant on May 12, 2011 at 6:22 PM
rrpjr on May 12, 2011 at 6:39 PM
tencole on May 12, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Western Missouri is covered too. :) And I think Dr. Gina Loudon is running the eastern Missouri show.

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 7:39 PM

unseen on May 12, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Unseen, I don’t know who you were really addressing there. I’m more a “Anybody But Mitt” guy myself. I’ve never said Palin couldn’t win the primary. Hell, I’ve only been posting on this site for about two months. Please don’t group me in with whoever else you consider anti-Palin. I’m not anti-Palin, I’ve always thought she could win the primary and would be willing to give her a shot in the just like the rest of the field (except Mitt, of course). Frankly, I’d like to see her run just to see how she does without McCain’s team of dunces advising her.

I just see mounting evidence indicating she is not running. But if she runs, I’ll buy you a Coke and smile.

Lawdawg86 on May 12, 2011 at 7:40 PM

From that NRO link:

Mitt Romney just gave a more articulate defense of Obamacare than President Obama ever has. He continues to believe that the individual mandate is a good idea, despite the fact that the “free-rider” problem is a myth. His effort to make a distinction between Romneycare and Obamacare was not persuasive: If anything, he convincingly made the opposite case, that Romneycare and Obamacare are based on the same fundamental concept.

Mitt’s candidacy is DOA.

INC on May 12, 2011 at 7:44 PM

MItt Romney: “Yeah, I’ve flip flopped a lot – but I really don’t give enough of a damn about the Tea Party and the GOP base to even bother flip-flopping for them!”

Look – RomneyCare is Socialism. He can say what he wants about the “state” not being the federal government – yeah … yeah …

And he can say what he wants that RomneyCare is better than ObamaCare … yeah … yeah – well, RomneyCare has already failed and ObamaCare has yet to …

But in any case – whatever he says – he can’t escape the fact that RomneyCare is a Socialist plan – and he’s supposed to be a Conservative Republican …

Real Conservatives SHUN THE HELL out of anything Socialist. They don’t “experiment” with it – not even for shirts and giggles.

HondaV65 on May 12, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Lawdawg86 on May 12, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Don’t fret. unseen has a light trigger. There’s no need to have your mind made up just yet.

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 7:46 PM

r keller on May 12, 2011 at 7:33 PM

It’s really not the fact that he didn’t apologize – it’s the fact that he STOOD BY a Socialist healthcare system that is currently bankrupting his state.

THAT’S THE ISSUE. If Mitt Romney can’t see that what he did was stupid – then I can’t trust him as a President …

Don’t give a damn about his “plans” or what he “says” on the campaign trail in order to weasel votes. I have ONE GOOD EXAMPLE that the man’s a Socialist and I don’t trust him not to return to those ways when he becomes President.

Is that clear to you?

HondaV65 on May 12, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Herman Cain
Allen West

Key West Reader on May 12, 2011 at 7:49 PM

INC on May 12, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Isn’t she a Mormon?

Stayright on May 12, 2011 at 7:49 PM

The GOP will betray you

Looks like Newt was for the individual mandate before he was against it. http://www.theblaze.com/blog/2011/05/12/newt-was-a-fan-of-the-individual-mandate-too-a-really-big-fan/

True_King on May 12, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Lawdawg86 on May 12, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Ass-U-Me. That is all.

gryphon202 on May 12, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Americans can easily change their health care system using common sense principles.

1. For every MediCAID recipient that calls EMT’s to their government paid housing project to transport them to the nearest emergency room for the sniffles? Drug test.

2. For every MediCAID recipient that is not an American Citizen? E-Verify.

3. For every MediCARE recipient that is not an American Citizen? Bill Mexico.

4. For every Social Security recipient that is not an American Citizen? Deport the individual.

5. Individual states can fund their own Sanctuary Cities. With no aid and comfort of the Federal Government.

6. End all American Taxpayer Assistance to illegal Aliens.

7. Enforce E-Verify for each and every applicant for public assistance. No match? No bene’s.

8. Before re-loading any Gubmint Assistance EBT card, a drug test must be performed.. using hair samples.

Key West Reader on May 12, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Isn’t she a Mormon?

Stayright on May 12, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Yes, you filthy not-conservative hater person. /

I imagine she thinks that is the secret reason we don’t like Romney.

sharrukin on May 12, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Lawdawg86 on May 12, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Laying low doesn’t mean she’s not running. Sarah’s already said that she wouldn’t be doing an exploratory comm…she doesn’t need to.
You’re not the only person I’ve heard say though, that Sarah needs to “upgrade” her technology on her sites/use more video and such, and I agree. But Sarah’s said numerous times that hers will be a very unconventional campaign.
So until Sarah actually says that she’s not running, I’m thinking she is.

tencole on May 12, 2011 at 7:57 PM

r keller on May 12, 2011 at 7:33 PM

No problem.

Step 1: What does ” give states the responsibility, flexibility and resources to care for citizens who are poor, uninsured or chronically ill” mean? Is that a federal mandate on the states to make sure there citizens are insured? Give the states resources? What kind of resources? Like giving them a framework for intrastate exchanges? Giving them money? And what is that blather about the benefits of a federalist system? Isn’t he just calling for the repeal of Obamacare so that states can continue regulating their own markets as they did before Obamacare?

Step 2: He intentionally remained vague when he said “reform the tax code.” There are two approaches: we could eliminate the deduction for employer-provided insurance, or we could extend the deduction to individual plans. Which one does Romney support?

Step 3: “Focus federal regulation on making markets work.” Jeez, who doesn’t like to “correct failures” and make “markets work.” How does he propose we do that? What if making markets works requires the federal government to usurp traditional state functions, such as setting limits on medical malpractice torts? This would conflict with Step 1 of Romney’s plan to return power to the states. Which value prevails in that scenario?

Step 4: See Step 3. If he’s talking about at the national level, that would totally conflict with his argument in Step 1. This exposes just how shallow Mitt’s federalism-argument is. Romney doesn’t give a hoot about federalism, he’s just using it as a buzzword defense for his MA plan. Medical malpractice limits are traditionally a state issue. A national limit conflicts with Romney’s supposed federalist principles. In terms of federalism, how does Romney distinguish between the government usurping a field of law traditionally reserved to the states (medical malpractice), and the government usurping the state’s plenary police power to compel individuals to purchase insurance? Romney once argued that the individual mandate was a “conservative” plan because it encouraged responsibility. Will he argue that abrogating state power to set medical malpractice limits is “conservative” because it lowers cost? Would a Mitt Romney candidacy leave the definition of “conservative” in shambles?

Step 5: No disagreements in principal on this one, but again, its one thing to say make it more like a market and less like a government program, its another thing to achieve it.

But those are just minor squabbles with Romney. My real concern is that he’ll get elected, lose Congress in the midterms and then spend the rest of his presidency caving in to the Democrats.

Step 4:

Lawdawg86 on May 12, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Isn’t she a Mormon?

Stayright on May 12, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Yes, you filthy not-conservative hater person. /

I imagine she thinks that is the secret reason we don’t like Romney.

sharrukin on May 12, 2011 at 7:57 PM

As I said in another thread, there are many many reasons for a constitutional conservative to reject Mitt long before his Mormonism is ever mentioned.

I have noticed that few Mormons will say a negative word about Mitt, much as blacks are about Obama. Another thing I’ve noticed, I live in the South and am a lifelong Southern Baptist. I attend a large prominent church, received my undergraduate degree from a Southern Baptist University, and I know Southern Baptists all over the U.S. Despite that, I don’t know a single Baptist who voted for Huckabee.

Stayright on May 12, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Herman Cain
Allen West

Key West Reader on May 12, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Cool! I love the “who won’t be President in 2013” game!

I’ll play too:

Sarah Palin
Donald Trump
Ron Paul
Gary Johnson
Michelle Bachmann

Hollowpoint on May 12, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Hollowpoint on May 12, 2011 at 8:06 PM

You think Kraut’s Serious Republicans ™ can beat Obama? (seriously, Gingrich?) Or are you the kind of defeatist who thinks Obama is a lock for a second term?

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 8:09 PM

r keller on May 12, 2011 at 7:33 PM

There is nothing to object about. I say that as Palin supporter, and one that wanted to vote for Romney in the 08′ primaries but he quit too early, imo.

Hell, if I were Palin I’d use all of those ideas in my platform, and maybe add a thing or two to it.

All Mitt had to do today, was admit that it was a mistake to adopt and sign Romneycare, point out the mistakes in the plan, admit that in most peoples mind, it’s the baby to Obamacare, and then point out that it’s failing, miserably.

But he didn’t.

CTSherman on May 12, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Stayright on May 12, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Did you happen to catch my final post in our headline thread conversation earlier today?

Kataklysmic on May 12, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Stayright on May 12, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Kataklysmic? is Mormon and he has no use for Romney. I think it is just those who bring up Mormonism tend to be the ones using it as a Romney defense.

sharrukin on May 12, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Key West Reader on May 12, 2011 at 7:56 PM

I like that :)

CTSherman on May 12, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Kataklysmic is Mormon and he has no use for Romney.

sharrukin on May 12, 2011 at 8:13 PM

That is correct. Here are my presidential picks in order:

1) Sarah Palin
2) Palin, Sarah
3) Ryan (Not running)
4) Cain
5) Rand Paul (not running)
6) Bachmann
7) Pawlenty
8) Gingrich
9) Christie (not running)
10) Santorum
11) Daniels
12) Romney
13) Ron Paul
14) Gary Johnson
15) Huntsman
16) Charly Sheen
17) Buddy Roemer
18) Charles Manson
19) Huckabee
20) Satan Himself
21) Obama

Kataklysmic on May 12, 2011 at 8:31 PM

No city, no state, no United States has the legitimate power to force me to buy healthcare. That is my bloody business.

Romney has come out openly and without apology for force.

So now at least Mitt is honest: he is a Brylcreem Statist.

AshleyTKing on May 12, 2011 at 8:33 PM

I put Mitt’s life successes up against the accomplishments of Palin, Pawlenty, Huckabee combined and I see those three wholly lacking.
Get serious
jawbone on May 12, 2011 at 4:57 PM

It makes me sad when you know he is a descent, honorable man and that he’s far from a socialist or anything like the poseur in office and is a smart business man who could straighten out the mess we are in. He would bring the best and the brightest into the white house to help and not just professors who have never worked at a business in their life. He would never have that rapper desecrate the halls of the white house or the minds of the children.
If he is the one and you stay home you might as well go and vote for the person who would nominate another socialist for the supreme court. That would do more damage to our country then dufus has already done!

Bambi on May 12, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Kataklysmic on May 12, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Huck comes in below Charles Manson? That’s harsh.

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Kataklysmic on May 12, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Pretty close to my list except Santorum would be ahead of Pawlenty and Charlie Sheen would take his place.

sharrukin on May 12, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Kataklysmic on May 12, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Your list looks a lot like mine!

NoLeftTurn on May 12, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Kataklysmic on May 12, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Sheen-Satan 2012: The Power of Winning Compels You

Lawdawg86 on May 12, 2011 at 8:37 PM

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 7:31 PM

I’m sure there are some great policy articles over at Reason or maybe NRO if you really wanted to read about a conservative/libertarian approach to healthcare costs.

But, something tells me you’d fit in more over at Huffington Post.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Cool! I love the “who won’t be President in 2013” game!

I’ll play too:

Sarah Palin
Donald Trump
Ron Paul
Gary Johnson
Michelle Bachmann

Hollowpoint on May 12, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Oh, by all means let’s not leave off the top of that list:

Mitt Romney
Mitch Daniels
Tim Pawlenty
Mike Huckabee
Newt Gingrich

pseudoforce on May 12, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Sheen-Satan 2012: The Power of Winning Compels You

Lawdawg86 on May 12, 2011 at 8:37 PM

The scariest part? It would be an improvement over what we currently have.

Kataklysmic on May 12, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Here’s a link for petunia

You can break out your share of spending for defense, Medicare, Social Security, and other areas and calculate what you could be earning if you were able to keep the money and invest it at a 6 percent rate of return.

I wonder what the people in Massachusetts would think…

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Kataklysmic is Mormon and he has no use for Romney.

sharrukin on May 12, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Well there’s one–and in fairness I know a few others, too. My comment was obviously a generalization.

Stayright on May 12, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Stayright on May 12, 2011 at 8:48 PM

I am just pointing out that the squeaky wheel gets noticed but those who simply vote their conscience don’t make an issue out of it.

sharrukin on May 12, 2011 at 8:50 PM

You wanna see a boring website?

bw222 on May 12, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Get serious

jawbone on May 12, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Mitt’s life successes also stemmed from being part of a very privileged family. His father was very wealthy. Pawlenty, as he has stated, grew up in a blue collar family, Sarah’s father was a teacher, dunno about Huckabee, but probably it wasn’t a rich family, either.

When you start from a wealthy family, you have a HUGE head start in life. Access to better schools, better connections, better experiences growing up, better everything.

But that has NOTHING to do with why Romney blew it today. Obviously he either has a judgement problem or a stubborn to admit he was WRONG problem.

karenhasfreedom on May 12, 2011 at 8:56 PM

karenhasfreedom on May 12, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Either way, he has a big political problem: Romneycare.

gryphon202 on May 12, 2011 at 8:59 PM