Romney’s speech on RomneyCare: I’m not sorry

posted at 4:21 pm on May 12, 2011 by Allahpundit

The moment of truth has come and gone but the horrified real-time reaction in the conservative twittersphere echoes on. These nuggets from Philip Klein, Jonah Goldberg, and Mollie Hemingway will give you a taste; liberal Ezra Klein came closest to capturing the spirit of the thing while our old pal KP wondered whether Mitt’s ever actually met a Republican primary voter. I’m not surprised that he doubled down, though. Read this post from two days ago about the particular pitfall to Romney in apologizing. Pawlenty can afford to eat crow and say he’s sorry about cap and trade because his conservative record is otherwise solid; not so for Romney, who’ll forever be haunted by the seeming opportunism of his reversal on abortion before the last campaign and his transformation from social-con warrior to an economy-minded technocrat before this one. He won’t be able to hide from RomneyCare even if he begs for forgiveness, so why bother? Better to stand firm and at least try to undo the perception that he’ll say anything to get elected. Chris Cillizza:

Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney used a speech on health care today in Michigan to send a broader message about his commitment to authenticity in the 2012 presidential race…

But, it wasn’t just the words Romney used that aimed to push the authenticity narrative.

He spoke without a prepared script and without a TelePrompter, choosing instead to use a PowerPoint presentation to make his case. He wore no tie. He was accompanied to the speech by just three staffers.

The entire presentation screamed openness, pushing the idea that Romney is someone willing to be transparent about what he believes and why he believes it.

No one would have believed him had he apologized so there was no sense in doing it. On the contrary, if I were advising him, I’d tell him to go on the attack and make his opponents be as specific as possible in what they’d do differently. The more he can discredit their plans as unworkable, the more he can reframe RomneyCare as the best choice from a very bad set of health-care policy options. In fact, if he’s feeling extra cheeky, he could use the public’s ruinous love affair with Medicare to his advantage. Under RomneyCare, the state forces you to buy a product from a third party; under Medicare, the state forces you to buy the same product from the state. It simply calls it a tax instead of a mandate, and instead of granting you coverage immediately, it shafts you until you’re 65. Do Pawlenty, Gingrich, et al. also oppose the “mandated” premiums known as FICA? I’m not sure Romney wants to go the Mediscare route since it’ll make fiscal cons even angrier at him than they are now, but if he gets desperate enough, look out. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

i’m not watching the speech…but it has always seemed to me that there are many ways of getting past this problem…and if you are a pol it should be pretty easy (since pols are the master of speechifying and nuance)

There have been many attempts, TennCare, Hawaii, etc. so this was yet one more experiment. So now we have empirical evidence that barrycare will be a nightmare…and we need to get some better, market based, solutions. This is not hard

r keller on May 12, 2011 at 5:10 PM

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I hope the drugs you are taking are low cost. Because you are going to need a grea tmany of them over the next 2 years.

unseen on May 12, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Toast

Mr. Grump on May 12, 2011 at 5:11 PM

embrace yourself mitt. It’s all you got.

upinak on May 12, 2011 at 5:11 PM

i’m worried. I think Obama might kick biden off the ticket and get Mitt to run on his ticket. The bipartisan polictal class ticket…..

unseen on May 12, 2011 at 5:12 PM

So… what’s Huck’s plan? Where is Palin’s?

Even the real contenders… Pawlenty… Daniels… Newt… Cain… what comes after repeal Obamacare… then what?

We have a lack of ideas, only complainers.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Even without the albatross of Romneycare, he’d still be a terrible candidate who couldn’t win the primary.

With it – fugetaboutit.

Rebar on May 12, 2011 at 5:13 PM

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Palin endorsed Ryan’s plan, petunia. Keep up.

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 5:13 PM

buh bye!

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:13 PM

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:09 PM

unseen on May 12, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Why is that? I’m okay with whoever wins… I want the best, but I am not tied up in knots personally over it, like you are.

And what do you know about strep throat for the next two years that I don’t know?

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:14 PM

We have a lack of ideas, only complainers.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Personal responsibility? BTW, you’re the one complaining.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM

O/T

Newt is on hannity atm he is bombing.

He sounds very tired. His comments are all over the place and simply repeating talkign points. Hannity is stumping him on a couple easy questions….

unseen on May 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Palin endorsed Ryan’s plan, petunia. Keep up.

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Paul Ryan has a plan to replace Obamacare?

He had a few ideas before it was passed but I didn’t see a plan.

He does have a plan for the budget.

So basically Palin is an opportunist who waits for others to have a good idea then she jumps on the bandwagon? I see.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM

So… what’s Huck’s plan? Where is Palin’s?

We have a lack of ideas, only complainers.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:12 PM

You’re deflecting.

Focus on Romney’s self destruction.

portlandon on May 12, 2011 at 5:17 PM

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM

She endorsed his plans to reform Medicare. And it’s hardly a bandwagon; she’s the only (potential) prez candidate who did so. why do you have to bee so nasty?

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 5:17 PM

So, Romney has dug his own (subsidized) grave, Pawlenty is too freakin’ bland, Daniels is too much like Pawlenty, Gingrich is deluded, Trump is a clown, Ron Paul is Ron Paul, Huntsman is a moderate, Cain is a political newbie, Palin’s negatives are insurmountable, Bachmann is Palin without the charisma, and Huckabee has the last name “Huckabee”.

Did I miss anyone?

Sigh.

Splashman on May 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Personal responsibility? BTW, you’re the one complaining.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM

OH the ostrich plan. Of course. We just pretend everything is fine… That is how we got Obama.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Somehow she didn’t pick Romneycare!

the_nile on May 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I really believe that Mitt just torpedoed his presidential chances. As a Palin supporter, I hear all the time that “perception is reality.” Well I’ve got news for all you Romney supporters who have yourself convinced that Romneycare isn’t socialized medicine: Perception is reality.

gryphon202 on May 12, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Boom. Losing.

somewhatconcerned on May 12, 2011 at 5:20 PM

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM

No, ma’am. We got Obama because the Republican Party abandoned Reagan Conservatism and fielded a Moderate Candidate, like all those you so vociferously support.

Conservatism wins. Every time. Please reference the 2010 Midterm Elections.

kingsjester on May 12, 2011 at 5:20 PM

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM

No. Are you even a conservative? Privatize, privatize, privatize (read personal responsibility).

Of course, you keep talking about “replacing” Obamacare… hmmm with what? Some other form of central planning?

Yeah, I can see why you have no problem with Mitt.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:20 PM

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 5:17 PM

So she’s good with Obamacare then? Where’s the beef?

And I don’t ask lightly… Romney probably can’t pull this out, but he can start a conversation we need to have!

We are going to repeal Obamacare… then what? If we dont’ have a plan… because healthcare is a real issue… if we have nothing to replace it with… so much for Republicans being any better at governing than Democrats.

The slogan is Repeal and Replace. Not Repeal and twiddle our thumbs.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Somehow she didn’t pick Romneycare!

the_nile on May 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Yeah, go figure. While Palin has dabbled in a few Statist approaches, she’s a much better advocate of small gov’t in comparison to the corporatist Mitt.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

petunia: I think ‘Keep the government OUT of health care’ is a pretty good idea.

Personally, ‘reforming’ entitlements is silly. Just REMOVE them. And cut taxes in half at the same time.

If the Democrats can then return to power by promising money to those who’ll vote for them, we’ll know if this country can even be saved.

The GOP needs to put their ideals into action. Until they do so, I certainly won’t vote or fight for them.

Scott H on May 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

petunia: As soon as you say that we should retain any government control over health care (and ‘repeal and replace’ certainly sounds like that), you have parted ways with conservatism as a political philosophy.

Get rid of the government involvement with personal affairs. And I can think of few things more personal than someone’s health.

Scott H on May 12, 2011 at 5:25 PM

The slogan is Repeal and Replace. Not Repeal and twiddle our thumbs.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Keynes would be proud.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Your GOP nominee for 2012.

I’ll be writing-in my dog.

Bishop on May 12, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Me too! What’s his name?

FloatingRock on May 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Yeah, go figure. While Palin has dabbled in a few Statist approaches, she’s a much better advocate of small gov’t in comparison to the corporatist Mitt most other Republican candidates.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

By way of clarification, Meat.

gryphon202 on May 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Yeah, I can see why you have no problem with Mitt.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:20 PM

I see you are right on top of the issues…

You don’t even bother to listen or read or anything…

Why not just pay for insurance by yelling, “I’m a conservative.”

Republicans said they can do it better… Repeal and Replace. Big driver of the 2010 elections! Did you miss the 2010 elections to repeal and replace?

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Paul Ryan has a plan to replace Obamacare?

He had a few ideas before it was passed but I didn’t see a plan.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM

capejasmine on May 12, 2011 at 5:28 PM

The slogan is Repeal and Replace. Not Repeal and twiddle our thumbs.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Of course we need a replacement for Obamacare. We were dying all sorts of horrible and painful deaths before it was enacted./

gryphon202 on May 12, 2011 at 5:28 PM

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Why are you spinning so hard for Mitt and against Palin? It gives away your “Oh, I’m fine with whoever wins” garbage. If you don’t know Palin’s position on Obamacare then you’ve been living under a rock since she’s been going on about “death panels” since before it passed. Educate yourself.

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM

By way of clarification, Meat.

gryphon202 on May 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM

True. I can’t say this about Ron Paul (but, er he’s in another league). There are some exceptions. Cain, for example. The sad thing is that Palin isn’t even that conservative. She’s right of center, but she’s not hard right.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Keynes would be proud.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Did you listen to the plan? It’s on C-span. It is in no way Keynesian. I’m actually talking about a plan that Romney put out today. Not some made up thing.

Of course you are against it because he isn’t Sarah Palin but besides that problem what specifically is the problem?

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:30 PM

petunia: I think, if you asked a lot of people, that you’ll find that the ‘repeal’ part of that slogan resonated a LOT more than the ‘replace’ part.

I think I could pay for healthcare if I had the money I _wasn’t_ paying to the government for Medicare and Social Security.

I note that you are already conceding parts of the argument. There is a need for transparency in healthcare costs. Inasmuch as you pay for insurance, you are obfuscating those costs.

I find it very interesting that you immediately talk about paying for ‘insurance’, rather than paying for what that insurance pays for…

Scott H on May 12, 2011 at 5:31 PM

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Read my lips: Mandates are the problem.

I can’t say it any clearer than that.

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Why are you spinning so hard for Mitt and against Palin

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Congratulations! You win today’s daily Most Unintentionally Hilarious Comment of the Day here at Hot Air.

Hollowpoint on May 12, 2011 at 5:32 PM

petunia: Not directed to me, but my problem with Romney is that he isn’t conservative. Considering the fact that people who say that they’re a lot more conservative than he is have disappointed me since the 2010 election… why should I listen to Romney at all if I want a conservative in office?

Scott H on May 12, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Hollowpoint on May 12, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Awesome. You and all the Morons can go have big laughs about it. But you will be eating crow when she announces.

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Why not just pay for insurance by yelling, “I’m a conservative.”

At least I’d be attempting paying for my own insurance instead of looking to the gubmint for some handouts.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I will only support “replace” if it means replace with a competitive private sector approach. It’s really not that hard. You just simply start planning to cut off the big gov’t entitlements – hey they’re going broke anyway.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:33 PM

It doesn’t matter what you say, Mitt – I’m never voting RINO again.

disa on May 12, 2011 at 5:33 PM

So Allah, did you like it or not?

Lori on May 12, 2011 at 5:33 PM

He should just say “I’m a Tenther. Mass can do what it wants and I wouldn’t do it nationally so shut up” Having said that, I still want to recruit Bobby Jindal.

nazarioj001 on May 12, 2011 at 5:34 PM

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Petunia hates Palin with a burning white passion.

Here is the link to some of her spittle covered Palin hate tirades.

portlandon on May 12, 2011 at 5:34 PM

capejasmine on May 12, 2011 at 5:28 PM

That is very similar to what Romney suggested today. At least someone is trying to talk about a real thing instead of just knee jerk “we hate Mitt, so nothing he says is of any value”

And by the by… this isn’t about Romneycare. I guess you missed this. No mandate. It is Free Market…

Never mind, it is too much to ask from this group.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:34 PM

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Show me where he gives up the mandate. I’ll wait.

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 5:35 PM

petunia: Given Romneycare, and the fact that Romney defends it at every opportunity, why should we believe him when he says something different?

Given a track record, and words that disagree with that track record, which do you trust?

Scott H on May 12, 2011 at 5:36 PM

portlandon on May 12, 2011 at 5:34 PM

No, portland, you hate me with a burning passion. You make that clear each opportunity you have.

I don’t want Palin to win the nomination, but I don’t hate her.

I’m talking about healthcare… not Palin.

But you win… go ahead with the worship service I thought this was a thread about Mitt’s speech today, my bad.

All hail Palin… amen amen amen…

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Tim Pawlenty on Romney’s speech:

“I wouldn’t have done it.”

Mr. Wednesday Night on May 12, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I’m talking about healthcare… not Palin.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Except…

So… what’s Huck’s plan? Where is Palin’s?

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:12 PM

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Scott H on May 12, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I haven’t been supporting Romney precisely because I don’t like the way he has been about Romenycare.

Today. I listened… he has new good ideas. I’m not on board for anyone yet. But I though at least a few people would have gone beyond the sound bite and actually listened to the new stuff… I was wrong.

But by all means rehash all the old stuff.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:39 PM

The problem is that health care is too EXPENSIVE. Why? Waste, fraud and abuse. So naturally, let’s get the government involved.

Why don’t we fix why it costs so damn much before pounding our fists over who’s got the better way to pay for it.

somewhatconcerned on May 12, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I’m talking about healthcare… not Palin.

All hail Palin… amen amen amen…

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:37 PM

So… what’s Huck’s plan? Where is Palin’s?

We have a lack of ideas, only complainers.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Oh Really?

portlandon on May 12, 2011 at 5:40 PM

portlandon on May 12, 2011 at 5:40 PM

You owe me a Coke.

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 5:41 PM

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:30 PM

I’m familiar with what he did in MA. It has strong Keynesian flavors. It was not the approach of a capitalist.

I’m against Romney for promoting crony capitalism. That’s it. I’m still not sold on Palin, but she is at the top of my list simply because most of her competition is at the bottom or off.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Yes, because if they had one then we could compare them.

That is what I would like to do.

Because that is what is called an issue…. hard concept for you I know, talking about issues. Instead of the the wonderful world of Palin… clouds part, seas stop rising, the earth is healed…

But still have 18% of our GDP going to healthcare.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Agreed. RomneyCare is a noose around his neck, and now that he’s doubled down, there’s no way out of it.

Honest question for y’all: What’s Pawlenty’s biggest gotcha? Is it merely his bland, Minnesota-nice image? Or is there some big policy issue, a la RomneyCare, which he can be crucified upon in the general election?

Splashman on May 12, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Pawlenty wanted to have his own version of RomneyCare (Mitch Daniels does) but was smart enough to stop once RomneyCare imploded.

Pawlenty was all about cap and tax, taxing cars by miles driven.

He evidently signed into a law that made for Sharia compliant banking, but the jury is out on whether he knew it or not, and whether he fixed it or not. I’ve read several versions and don’t know what to believe.

Suffice it to say, Pawlenty sucks just as bad as the rest of the establishment hacks, but is more boring while doing it.

gary4205 on May 12, 2011 at 5:43 PM

somewhatconcerned on May 12, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Because fixing cost would lessen the government’s power. And they know better than you, rube./

gryphon202 on May 12, 2011 at 5:44 PM

I have told you that Ryan has a plan. Others have linked to it. Please stop ignoring answers to your questions.

Now…show me where there is no individual mandate in Mitt’s plan. I’m a Missourian, you have to show me. I will wait.

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Scott H on May 12, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Today’s “health insurance” is really not insurance. If car insurance were like health insurance, then car insurance would (by law) be required to pay for oil changes, bulb replacements, sound system upgrades and car washes, and would cost five times as much.

If Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security went away, we could afford to pay for our own day-to-day health care, and also afford true health insurance — meaning, catastrophic coverage, which most everyone can afford.

But the primary goal of a government program has never been to provide a service. The primary goal has always been power and control.

Splashman on May 12, 2011 at 5:45 PM

But still have 18% of our GDP going to healthcare.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Palin could talk about 82% of GDP and you still wouldn’t be happy unless she was for heavy gov’t involvement in healthcare.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:45 PM

But still have 18% of our GDP going to healthcare.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM

So what percentage is the statist optimum…

the_nile on May 12, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Charles Krauthammer on Romney’s speech:

“Serious speech. Serious guy. Thoroughly vetted. My patented Giant Brain now gives him seriously good odds of winning the GOP nomination. Seriously!”

Mr. Wednesday Night on May 12, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Splashman on May 12, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Thank you.

I’m reminded of the recent (gags) Ron Paul interview on The View where he had to explain to Whoopi rape-rape Goldberg and Joyless how things have gotten worse as gov’t got involved in HC.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:47 PM

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Romney was not going to win no matter what he said..Looks like he is going a different route from flip-flop!..IMHO!..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 5:48 PM

If that’s the case, he’d be better dropping out and giving some money to someone that has a chance of winning.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Romney wasn’t going to win because he has to sell himself as something he’s not: a real conservative alternative to Obama. His presidential aspirations should have ended with due haste upon his signing of Romneycare as Teddy “Chappaquidick” Kennedy stood over him.

gryphon202 on May 12, 2011 at 5:50 PM

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:49 PM

You may have a point!..:)

PS..Good to see you!..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 5:48 PM

I will never understand why he chose this issue to make a stand. Immigration, abortion, the environment, all would have been more logical issues on which to flout the GOP line.

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 5:50 PM

But still have 18% of our GDP going to healthcare.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM

It’s 18% for three primary reasons:

1. We invent most of the world’s high-tech drugs, procedures, and equipment.

2. We have better access to high-tech health care than anyone in the world.

3. Government meddling (mandates, restrictions, prevention of inter-state competition, etc.)

Only one of those three is a bad thing. Guess which?

Splashman on May 12, 2011 at 5:51 PM

gryphon202 on May 12, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Romney has never tried to come across as a far right person..IMHO!..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Petunia, It doesn’t matter the thread; you start
throwing out nonsensical drivel that demonstrates your
lack of skill in critical thinking.

Amjean on May 12, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Romney finally opts for consistency, but for once he should have flip-flopped.

steebo77 on May 12, 2011 at 5:52 PM

PS..Good to see you!..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 5:50 PM

I can’t see you. My head is in the sand ;)

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Scott H on May 12, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I’m actually not supporting Romney. Yet. I might… the rest are just not stepping up.

But you hit one of the things I find incredibily annoying!

You do not have the right to decide who is and who isn’t conservative.

If you keep using that false accusation you make “conservative” a dirty word. And all “conservative” means is mean and nasty enough to call Obama names. If that is what it means to be conservative you will suceed in making it a term everyone will run from.

And I’m am sick of having to tell you what conservitive is.

You all have this group consensus to ignore the records of people and just call names. Unless it is someone you like then you make every excuse under the sun to explain why that in that little circumstance was so brave… and not liberal in anyway. Conservative means nothing.

There is no candidate in the race or considering the race who is not conservative.

It is like a code word… a tribal word… a way of bonding together. But it is meaningless.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Romneycare is the biggest problem..I guess Team Romney has been doing some internal polling..So therefore the stand!..IMHO..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 5:54 PM

gryphon202 on May 12, 2011 at 5:44 PM

With the added fun of insurance companies and the government one-upping each other in the process. And we get boned. Already saw that this past year when our premiums went up $150 a month, we were told, you know… because of… some reason.

Eventually, buh-by insurance companies. Hello single payer. Last stop, hell.

somewhatconcerned on May 12, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Romney has never tried to come across as a far right person..IMHO!..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Hmmm he may never have come across that way; but whenever a Republican tries to wear Reagan’s shoes, they are either trying to come across as far right or they don’t believe Reagan was far right. ;)

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Romney gave the sppech today in Michigan where Republican Governor Snyder and the Republican party had the biggest tax raise on individuals in Michigan history.
Lesson learned. The only time raising taxes is bad is when Democrats are in power.

Goodale on May 12, 2011 at 5:55 PM

I can’t see you. My head is in the sand ;)

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Mine too!..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 5:55 PM

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM

…what?

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 5:55 PM

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:54 PM

No one will be Reagan again..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 5:56 PM

You do not have the right to decide who is and who isn’t conservative.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM

You’re wrong there. And we most definitely have the right to say it. Unless you want to start policing our minds now. Heckava conservative you are, petunia.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:56 PM

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM

*sigh* Another HotAir regular who deserves another four years of Obama. This is getting depressing.

gryphon202 on May 12, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Paul Ryan has a plan to replace Obamacare?

He had a few ideas before it was passed but I didn’t see a plan.

He does have a plan for the budget.

Yes. Paul Ryan has a market based solution.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM

No. She’s someone who recognizes and supports good ideas when she sees them even if they don’t come from her originally.

That’s not an opportunist. That’s a leader who is okay with supporting ideas that come from other people if they’re sound.

“There is no limit to what you can accomplish if you don’t care who gets the credit.” – Ronaldus Magnus

powerpro on May 12, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Mitch Daniels on Romney’s speech:

“Let’s face it, my chances of finishing 2nd in the GOP primary are quite good.”

Mr. Wednesday Night on May 12, 2011 at 5:57 PM

gryphon202 on May 12, 2011 at 5:56 PM

When I think ‘conservative’, my mind immediately jumps to Gary Johnson and Ron Paul. Doesn’t yours?

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 5:57 PM

…what?

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Hey, she’s even a fan of Huntsman. All I can say is she’s either delusional or a moby of some sort.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:58 PM

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 5:57 PM

I hope you’re kidding.

gryphon202 on May 12, 2011 at 5:59 PM

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Your post is overloaded with FAIL.

powerpro on May 12, 2011 at 5:59 PM

gryphon202 on May 12, 2011 at 5:59 PM

LOL. Yes.

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Goodale on May 12, 2011 at 5:55 PM

I was just up in the liberal haven of Ann Arbor. Sucks big time. The roads were really rough. Hey, let’s get the gov’t involved in more stuff!!!!!

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 5:59 PM

You do not have the right to decide who is and who isn’t conservative.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Um . . . do I really have to specify the blatant contradictions?

Yeesh.

Splashman on May 12, 2011 at 6:00 PM

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM

It’s NOT the government’s responsibility to “fix” health care, or should I say how we pay for it.

If the government would get out of the way, the free market would correct all of the problems.

The ONLY thing I want from the government on health care is lawsuit reform and the ability for all companies to sell across state lines.

Texas reformed lawsuits, and went from the Ambulance Chaser Capitol of the World to a place where Doctors flock, hospitals expand, and health care is good.

Face it, you’re a Big Government liberal, whether you understand it or not.

gary4205 on May 12, 2011 at 6:01 PM

No one will be Reagan again..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 5:56 PM

I’m pretty sure that’s genetically impossible; however, in a lot of ways Palin’s policies come close. Not hard right but still fairly conservative.

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Only one of those three is a bad thing. Guess which?

Splashman on May 12, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Those are the exact issues Romney addressed in his speech!

You don’t disagree with him, you just hate him and refuse to hear him!

He wants individuals to have the same tax breaks as business to buy insurance, he wants to make it so people can buy accross state lines…

And since Obama has given the President power to give waivers he says he will give a waiver to the whole country. So we don’t have to deal with congress. Obama wrote in the plan the way to repeal it. Waviers!

I’m talking about healthcare… not Palin.

All hail Palin… amen amen amen…

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:37 PM

So… what’s Huck’s plan? Where is Palin’s?

We have a lack of ideas, only complainers.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Oh Really?

portlandon on May 12, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Sorry I forgot we can’t treat her like she has the ability to actually do the job, because that would point out that unless we give her a break she can’t cut it.

So not Palin… just the others.

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 6:01 PM

MeatHeadinCA on May 12, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Maybe!..Guess we will see!..:)

Dire Straits on May 12, 2011 at 6:02 PM

petunia on May 12, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Found that anti-mandate language yet?

alwaysfiredup on May 12, 2011 at 6:02 PM