Video: Texas teacher stands by while bully repeatedly slugs student in class

posted at 8:48 am on May 11, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Should teachers intervene to break up fights in classrooms? That’s the question posed by Fox News in Dallas-Fort Worth last night after a YouTube video showing a very one-sided fight made the rounds. In the video, which picks up the altercation in progress, one boy punches another with the requisite bully flourishes while the victim stands as passively as the teacher off to his side. Teacher groups responded by saying intervention is a “tough call,” as school districts don’t always compensate for injuries in breaking up fights. Better to wait until an administrator wanders by, they say:

Video: Teacher Watches as Students Fight: MyFoxDFW.com

The video shows 17-year-old Michael Milczanowksi getting punched over and over during geometry class. His teacher stands by watching as he appears to take several blows to the head.

While it may seem the teacher could have intervened, a teacher’s union president said that is not what teachers are told to do.

“In today’s society which is a violent society, you do not touch the student. That should be left up to the administration,” said Rena Honea of Alliance-AFT. “I believe that that is for the safety of number one the students, but for the individual teacher as well.”

The district said it has no policy on how teachers should handle student fights because every situation is different.

Today’s “violent society” in schools might be violent precisely because schools don’t exercise authority like they did 40 years ago. Contra the notion aired in the second half of the spot, schools have always had big kids that presented disciplinary problems.  What they used to have were teachers who took charge, not stand passively by while mayhem ensued.  And if the argument is relative compensation as the determining factor, well, perhaps we should go back to what compensation profiles looked like 40 and 50 years ago.

This case doesn’t fit those weak rationalizations, anyway.  The kid involved is not some huge linebacker; it’s a skinny teenager who appears to be no more than half the bulk of the teacher.  Moreover, this isn’t even really a fight.  It’s one kid beating on another.  The risks of intervention seem rather low in this instance, while the long-term risks of non-intervention are much higher.  Every kid who sat in that classroom and saw their teacher either be too afraid or uncaring to stop a bully will never look at that teacher or school in the same way ever again, and probably authority as well.

If we want to teach that violence is its own reward, is “today’s violent society” any surprise?

What do you think?  Should teachers stop fights in schools?  Take the poll:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

On WFAA, they showed another fight that occurred in this same classroom in front of this same teacher. The two guys were taking off their shirts and pants to fight like either UFC or actual boxers. The teacher only told them to quit when one of them crashed into a desk and another student.

I grew up afraid of my teachers, mostly because they all hated being where they were, made sure you as a student knew they hated it, and they could send you to detention for absolutely no reason at all. I went to a couple of schools where spanking was used, and there were rarely any disciplinary problems to speak of. I’m glad I don’t have kids, because from what I’ve seen of current Texas public schools, I wouldn’t want them to go anywhere near them. If I could afford Christian education, I would probably do that.

cebj25 on May 11, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I have no sympathy for any teacher that cries and whines about the system, or threat of lawsuits etc…. Use the system to change it. If you’re going to lose your job because of intervention in a fight, sue the school district for millions. a bright lawyer can figure out something to sue for.

Sue the kid’s parents also and file assault charges against the kids.

Or do something to change the system.

Vince on May 11, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I see a sternly-worded letter in that young man’s future.

mankai on May 11, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Here’s a link to last night’s story on WFAA (with an accompanying video). The teacher’s name is Lindale Muse, and he teaches geometry. He says it’s not his responsibility to break up fights.

Ward Cleaver on May 11, 2011 at 9:55 AM

I know that law suits are the thinking behind this action or inaction but aren’t teachers immune unless they are the perpetrator? Maybe that is done state by state. But there is still a possibility of a law suit if the the punchee gets hurt. How would lack of action work into the court battle?

Cindy Munford on May 11, 2011 at 9:55 AM

The solution to this and most education problems is to get the State out of the school. The more the State is involved the worse it gets. Privatize. Homeschool.
This guy apparently has a history of setting up fights in his class . The DISD has a rule noted in that article that teachers are not required to break up fights. This guy not only didn’t make a move to break it up, he encouraged the fights.
The only way the public schools in this country will get back to educating our children and not training them to be liberal activists is when we remove the State from the classroom and put the parents and teachers back in control.

FoByFo on May 11, 2011 at 9:55 AM

It is actually hard to determine if teachers should break up fights. On the one hand, order needs to be maintained to teach children, on the other hand, many children are monsters and have access to guns through gangs, as well as peer pressure from gang members to seek revenge on anyone who “embaraces” them.

I would have to say it is a district by district call on my end.

astonerii on May 11, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Ward Cleaver on May 11, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Would love to see the statistics of his students knowledge base before and after taking his class.

Cindy Munford on May 11, 2011 at 9:56 AM

…and as far as the bully is concerned.
When you get 2 free punches at someone just standing there and all you do is move their head a little bit…. you need to take up playing the flute or look into the debate club.

I can only hope the kid in this video taking the punches gets mad enough one day to take up for himself and unleash all the anger he is holding in on some douche bag like the Spicoli wanna-be in this video.

Baxter Greene on May 11, 2011 at 9:57 AM

YES, WITHOUT GODDAMNED QUESTION.

Jesus Christ…where have we gotten as a society? I was in high school only 11 years ago. I got into my share of fights(always the defender), and the teachers always took control as soon as they saw what was happening. My freshman year I was pushed around by some six-foot-plus senior, I fought back, and he started wailing on me. The teacher, who was shorter than me, ran up and yanked the kid out of the classroom and dragged him to the principal’s office. He wasn’t afraid of anything. Nor should any teacher be. They’re supposed to be the ones in control.

Hell, I remember walking down a hall and seeing one of the most troublesome students fly backwards out a room, with the teacher coming after him warning him never to take a swing at him again. The kid cried and swore up a storm and ran off, and as far as I know nobody touched the teacher(nor should they have). What a pussified society we are quickly becoming.

MadisonConservative on May 11, 2011 at 9:57 AM

I teach at a college, but I used to teach high school. One day in the band room two students, both of whom were bigger than me, start fighting each other. I picked up a pair of crash cymbals and started smashing them together making a helluva racket right next to the two idiots. They were so stunned they forgot about fighting and were very compliant about going to the office with me.

Little Boomer on May 11, 2011 at 9:58 AM

This is no different than the thugocracy the White House dishes out! RINOs stand there and wait for an admin./adult to come by! Or worse want to reach across the aisle!!

shov74 on May 11, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Wow. Lot’s going on here. Maybe the ‘victim’ here didn’t want to get kicked out of school. One of my sons was assaulted, took three punches before finally saying to he!! with the rules and defended himself. In the eyes of the school “administrators” he was equally guilty of violating “school policy” so he received the same punishment as his attacker.

The teacher probably knows he would get sued to he!! by parents for putting his hands on the kid throwing the punches as well as risking injury. Then he’d likely be fired from the school system too as they desperately try to avoid being sued also, so they’d blame it all on the teacher. Also, as Ed pointed out, what’s this bull about today’s society being violent? It was much more violent when I grew up and we boys were taught the “manly art of self defense”, to not tolerate bullies and defend the weak? We had fist fights outside of school regularly. The bullies learned to behave or get their rearends kicked. Since bullies are cowards, they quickly learned to mind their manners. Back then this kind of incident would never have occurred. The teacher would have interveened, with the full support of the school system and the law and the attacker would get expelled, and prosecuted if it was deserved.

JimP on May 11, 2011 at 10:00 AM

But here’s my question… If the teacher doesn’t physically intervene, shouldn’t he at least be calling security? Or telling the bully to get out of the classroom? From what I could see, the teacher literally just stood there.

Outlander on May 11, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Yes and if he did the video didn’t capture it. He isn’t in control of his classroom, would you want your child in his class? That’s what all the other parents are asking their children. is he your teacher? It’s near the end of the year so there won’t be a mass demand for transfers out of his class, but come next year watch all the people who have children changing their child to another class if they got him for their teacher. This teacher now has a reputation for non intervention of any kind. It’s not as if he needed to touch either child he could have simply placed his body between them. He could have sent a child next door to call for a Vice Principal – this couldn’t be the first time a teacher would be put in this position. To stand there watching doing nothing isn’t an option either. This school got caught this one time, how often does it go on there? Parents with children in this school are asking this question. This is Dallas, at one time they wanted to make it part of their criteria, that if you were hired for a DISD administrative position, you had to be bi lingual, and in bi lingual they meant your second language had to be Spanish. I am north of Dallas.

One of my neighbors is a teachers aide, and she gives me the run down on the teachers, who is good who isn’t, her children are in grades above mine, the word gets out if at the start of the year you get stuck with a teacher who is a lemon, the first week of school you change your child’s schedule.

Dr Evil on May 11, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Little Boomer on May 11, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Did they keep saying “What?” That’s a great story and very quick thinking on your part.

Cindy Munford on May 11, 2011 at 10:01 AM

I blame the kid taking the beating as much as the teacher that stood by.

DEFEND YOURSELF. My 3 Son’s would have and most likely the bully would have had all 3 of them on him……

I’d have dealt with the chickenscat teacher and principal, and their take a beating rules be DAMNED. NOT MY KIDS.

RealMc on May 11, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Couldn’t agree more. Taking a suspension is better than taking a beating. If that boy doesn’t respect and value himself, no one else will either.

flyfisher on May 11, 2011 at 10:03 AM

And all this hoo rah about stopping bullying is just that – hoo rah. This kid knows he has a choice: Let the bully pound him until he gets it out of his system or fight back, in which case the victim will be thrown out of school. The schools, the law, and the teachers wont protect him. His only alternative is to protect himself. And I’d go to the mat with my kid over something like this and sue the pants off the school system too.

abcurtis on May 11, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Cindy Munford on May 11, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Texas ranks #44 in the country – rating for public schools.

I live north of Dallas, in a “commended” school system. Here it’s all about testing and TAKS. It’s a three ratings system, meets requirements, commended, and excellent. The tool our system uses is alternative school, they boot the chronic problem children, and if they can’t be retrained at alternative school, the judge steps in and it’s off to boot camp which I understand isn’t fun at all ;) So little Johnny and Janney finally get the discipline they don’t receive at home from permissive parents.

Dr Evil on May 11, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I wonder what the teacher’s reaction would have been had the student on the receiving end was black or Muslim and also, how different this would have been reported.

Syd B. on May 11, 2011 at 10:13 AM

#44 we are 6th from the bottom – it’s not because of lack of money to the school systems, we have some of the highest property taxes in the country- and insurance premium cost.

Dr Evil on May 11, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Dr Evil on May 11, 2011 at 10:09 AM

It sounds like your alternative schools might be similar to those in Virginia Beach. Not that I can speak to what they are now since I’m no longer there. The sad thing is that for the majority of the students in alternative schools, staff is the closest thing to a “normal” adult that they see. You have the occasional regular student that made a big mistake but for the most part the kids are totally out of the mainstream or are so far behind academically that acting out is the only way they know to cover up. It’s a whole different conversation but parents and teachers don’t do anyone any favors with social promotions.

Cindy Munford on May 11, 2011 at 10:14 AM

So the teacher just stands there watching another student being assaulted. Nice!

Either the teacher gets his kicks from this, or is just a total moron, who just aided and abetted a crime, by doing nothing as the only authority in the class. Did he even verbally warn the punk to stop? (Sorry, no audio)

This is disgusting, and it’s high time to stop this crap. Call the frickin police and have the bully arrested for Gods sake.

capejasmine on May 11, 2011 at 10:17 AM

The teacher should have immediately yelled, sent another student running for security if not calling himself, and done *something* to try to stop it. But teachers at my school are warned not to get between students and not to try to stop it unless one of the kids goes down, in which case any kicking could lead to death.

My mentor was disabled from an injury she received while breaking up a fight, and she had to use a cane to walk very painfully and slowly. She can’t physically stop fights and she isn’t a small woman, and while she is retired Navy, she’s also fairly old. I wouldn’t want her trying to stop two seventeen year old boys from fighting.

They tell us that yelling at boys will often stop them, and she can do that. She mentioned in one meeting that she had to get almost right next to the boy while yelling at him to get him to stop beating another kid, and while it worked, she would not have been physically able to stop him if it had come to that. Another colleague had been teaching middle school when she went to the door to call security to stop a fight. When she turned around, a desk was flying through the air. She called security multiple times, but no one ever showed up. Later on while talking to the administration, she found out that they had expected a fight because two rival gang members had been put in her classroom. We can’t always expect administrators and security to support us, and we can’t always stop a fight.

Part of the problem is this idea that what happens in school is just kids being kids. When there’s a fight, charges need to be pressed, and those charges need to come from the teachers, too. But unfortunately you have some people who believe that because we’re the authority figure, we have the ability to stop a fight simply through yelling or through physical interference. Most of our students are taller and heavier than we are. A tongue lashing from the teacher is not going to deter some kids, and things usually have to progress to this point just to get noticed by people who would usually blame the victim for raising the ruckus in the first place. Tons of victims are blamed because it inconveniences the administration/teachers and yes, even their parents.

However, as a practical solution, I will say that if possible, a teacher should keep a bucket of water in their classroom. One of my colleagues kept one in the class since she was out in the portables, and security may take awhile to get to her. A pair of girls started fighting, she doused them, and the fight stopped. She said it was how her mother stopped her siblings from fighting. On the other hand, I can just see a lawsuit rising out of some parental concern that her child had been assaulted by the teacher, etc.

kc-anathema on May 11, 2011 at 10:18 AM

abcurtis on May 11, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Amen! Let’s start sueing the school for not protecting the kids.

Vince on May 11, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Definitely not a teacher’s job! Nothing in job description about being a cop, bouncer, security guard, etc. Their should be some kind of alarm button for a teacher to press…in class rooms, maybe even a camera to obtain evidence in order to imprison offenders (let them fight other prisoners or be their young punk).

Karmi on May 11, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Like many responders, I was bullied too in school. Mine was initially being the wrong skin color, but later for being too smart to be a jock or whatever was the convenient reason that day. Hell, every one who was not at the top of the bullying food chain was bullied sooner or later. Here is how I stopped it: I became a good fighter. I eventually got in enough fights and took out a guy 30 pounds heavier and 4 inches taller. I made sure I beat the hell out of that guy as a lesson to everyone else. I was never bullied again. And…I never served a second of suspension for any of it (go figure). When I left campus to get a McDonalds lunch late in my Senior year, then I was suspended (again, go figure).

Oh yeah, and I graduated in the 98th percentile.

Madison Conservative said it best: we are becoming pussified as males.

Bigurn on May 11, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I went to Catholic school. The priest would have had that kid out of the classroom and expelled in quick time. Today’s teachers are filled with excuses and a union to back them up. My elementary school class had fifty-six kids in it, and one nun. Somehow it all worked, public schools don’t anymore.

Hening on May 11, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Cindy Munford on May 11, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Here it’s falling along ethnic lines, it’s sad but culturally there is a join a gang trend as if this is part of a rites of passage. Then there is cross contamination because of other children copying the trend, who might otherwise not be exposed to an unhealthy subculture. Texas has created a tier system it’s not really an unfair system it’s just sad to see how much it’s needed because people’s parenting skills are not working or non existent. I would consider Dallas a sanctuary city, the cities surrounding it have constantly tried to do something about illegal immigration, Farmers Branch, Irving etc…The teachers are already dealing with regular student issues, then throw in children from immigrants legal and non legal, that don’t seem able to adapt to the country their parents brought them to. They bring their culture with them – and it’s not that healthy a culture it involves gang membership and drugs.

Dr Evil on May 11, 2011 at 10:25 AM

All of the arguments here scream for a free market education system solution. Unders such a system, if you wanted your kid to attend a school where the teachers were ninjas and would intervene in a beating, you could pay to do that. If you wanted teachers to never touch your kids no matter what, you could pay to send your kids to that school. If you weren’t happy with the way teachers responded to your kid getting picked on or assaulted, then you would take your money elsewhere.

King of the Britons on May 11, 2011 at 10:30 AM

I suppose zero tolerance only applies to students who wear “McCain Girl” shirts, share asthma inhalers or point fingers at each other and say “Bang!”.

Beating up another kid? We don’t need to get in the way of that – let the little tyke punch himself tired – once he’s all tuckered out we can all get out our carpet squares and have nap time.

Schools and the supposed educators associated seem to have an uncanny ability to teach the exact wrong lesson as re: dealing with such situations. Much like the way they wring hands over obesity and then dump phys ed courses, they bemoan the horrors of bullying but do not intervene and certainly do not teach kids to deal with it.

RDuke on May 11, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Maybe the teacher was intervening from behind.

InterestedObserver on May 11, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Teachers having control over their own classrooms is above their pay grade. Maybe the teacher was on his union break when the bully decided to punch the kid.

mizflame98 on May 11, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Sorry if this was brought up already.. But what happens when the teacher intervenes, the kid falls and gets hurt. Now the parents sue the teacher and hes out of a job. Fear of litigation stops a lot of teachers from intervening

offroadaz on May 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Ward Cleaver on May 11, 2011 at 9:55 AM

I’m not surprised that someone named ‘Lindale Muse’ is afraid to break up a fight. He could get a run in his hose or something.

slickwillie2001 on May 11, 2011 at 10:40 AM

The teacher should do what he or she can to intervene yes. If that student then harms the teacher, that student should be severely punished by law enforcement and the school. Enough to set an example that this sort of behavior will get you screwed royally.

Dash on May 11, 2011 at 10:44 AM

offroadaz on May 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Public Schools have insurance to cover many eventualities. This isn’t the first time this has come up it’s foreseeable. Something both the people in the video know full well, they are blowing smoke and hoping people will buy the non intervention policy as acceptable “Our hands are tied” There are states with Good Samaritan laws, where people on public property can be sued for non involvement witnessing a violent event like the one above and doing nothing. The teacher had options, he did nothing.

Dr Evil on May 11, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Any injuries would be covered by workers comp so the non-compensation is a non-issue.

miConsevative on May 11, 2011 at 10:46 AM

This is a major reason why IMO teaching is a sucker’s job, especially for people with math & science degrees who might be able to find better work. When the kids know the teacher can’t touch them, students are more vulnerable. Rules are made largely to protect the school district from lawsuits, and in some public school districts, from racial political trouble – e.g., awful “zero tolerance” policies to ward off NAACP desperate impact hassle because black students are more often creating & being punished for disruptions. It can be too often a no win situation for the teacher who might receive trouble from all directions.

It seems it takes too much courage for politicians to try to change the situation.

Chessplayer on May 11, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Nothing that hard labor in extreme heat or cold can’t fix. Work ‘em until they’re bone tired, and they won’t have enough energy left for this nonsense.

Christien on May 11, 2011 at 10:47 AM

A friend of mine was principal for a Catholic parochial elementary school for some years. He’d have broken up the fight and ejected the bully from school. This incident is reason number 4,580,298,139,321 why the public school system should be abolished. It can be done on a state by state basis and the system replaced with vouchers.

theCork on May 11, 2011 at 10:48 AM

One thing not clear is whether student getting punched was a regular student or not. That video of the kid from Australia would have looked quite different if the first minutes were removed and all that was shown was the body slam.

When I was in Junior High, we had a new kid move to the school who was a real jerk. He mouthed off in class, picked on smaller kids – he was huge – and challenged anyone and everyone to fight him. One day in the hall, he made the mistake of calling one of the stronger kids in class a “dumb Polack”. Truth be told, he was Polish and was pretty dumb, but didn’t take kindly to being called that.

A great fight, better described as a beating commenced in the hall when the Polish kid took the jerk in a head lock and got numerous punches to the face in. As the teachers arrived on the scene, one moved to quickly break the boys up, but another grabbed him to let the fight go on a bit longer. It was only when the punches turned to ramming into the lockers that the two teachers finally broke it up. Couldn’t damage school property, you know.

The thing was, no one, except the new kid, got in trouble at all. The teachers allowed “street justice” or in this case “Hallway Justice” to prevail for a bit. When the new kid returned to class after his suspension, he was changed. No longer talking big and he actually started to rein in his cousin – also a new kid, much smaller, who also had the same deficiencies as his bigger, older, and now wiser cousin.

BroncoGuy on May 11, 2011 at 10:53 AM

I attended a large public high school and our teachers broke up fights. If one of the coaches was around they sent the boys to the gym and put boxing gloves on them and watched the show. The ladies usually sent them to one of the coaches or to the office to see the principal.

Sometimes a punch or two would be thrown and other kids would stop it. There would be an agreement to finish the fight in a field after school. A convoy of cars would travel from school to the predetermined spot. Dozens of us would stand in a circle and watch the two kids finish their fight.

No one got ever got suspended for fighting. And in our wildest dreams, we wouldn’t have thought of suing or involving police. The only time I remember anyone getting suspended for anything was the time a couple of boys put some stinkbait into the air vents, forcing them to cancel school until the vents were clean and the school aired out. The time a boy burned a giant curse word on the football field during homecoming week he was made to do some work around the school, not sent home.

Of course back then everything was different. We always carried pocket knives and no one gave a shotgun or rifle in the window of a vehicle a second glance. Girls always had aspirin in their purses. We had designated smoking areas for the smokers and some boys chewed tobacco during lunch. We had prayers at football games and explicitly Christian songs were performed at Christmas programs and graduation. I remember the assistant principal said a prayer over the loud speaker when President Reagan was shot.

Today my old high school is more like a prison than the school I attended. Kids pass through a metal detector and it has a police substation. There are security cameras around the perimeter and in the hallways. They are so fearful of drugs and weapons that they have welded the doors shut on all of the lockers. No one has ever overdosed on drugs and no one has ever been shot or stabbed, either. But if it ever happens, they are ready to make an arrest.

flyfisher on May 11, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Watch the school board stand by while the teacher is repeatedly sued.

Simple solution boot all hints of liberalism out of the education system.

Its the agenda stupid.

Speakup on May 11, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Shouldn’t it be incumbent on the teacher to stop class and call the school security officer. Teachers who feel physically intimidated by their students should not have to intervene in fights but, they do have to be the adult in these situations. My daughters high school has a police officer assigned there that walks around all day acting like a hall monitor. I am sure he would come running (literally) at the chance to police students. In my observation teachers surrounded by juveniles begin to adopt juvenile conduct (passively observing physical violence) rather than acting as adults.
In other words this “Teacher” failed at being a decent human.

notalemon on May 11, 2011 at 11:04 AM

The “yes” part is worded incorrectly.

It should not be “yes, that’s part of their job”. It should be “yes, it’s part of being an adult and responsible caring individual regardless of job description”.

ButterflyDragon on May 11, 2011 at 11:06 AM

“In today’s society which is a violent litigious society, you do not touch the student.

There. Fixed it for him.

KMC1 on May 11, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Teacher should have called the cops and let them sort it out. There have been teachers beat up by student criminals and if the teacher ends up fighting then the criminals parents start legal action against the school and teacher. The teacher can’t win.

Greed on May 11, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Am I missing something here? The kid should fight back if he values his status in life? Teachers should watch fights and not break them up? So what if the kid is a wimp – it doesn’t matter because he should be able to attend school without worrying about being beat up. If the bully pulls out a pistol the wimp should pull out a shotgun? And the fact the teacher just watched without intervening just shows how bad American’s school systems have become.

Our society has become morally bankrupt.

Texasrocker on May 11, 2011 at 11:13 AM

They’re supposed to be the ones in control.

MadisonConservative on May 11, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Exactly. How can you respect or even learn from a teacher that would allow this to happen?

And as far as lawsuits are concerned, I’d think the teacher who let a kid get beat up would be the most in danger, not the one who stopped a fight.

Esthier on May 11, 2011 at 11:14 AM

File criminal charges, and let the juvie system handle the little thug. If there are no repercusions for that kind of behavior in the school, there need to be somewhere else.

Should be a slam-dunk case, it’s all on video.

iurockhead on May 11, 2011 at 11:14 AM

offroadaz on May 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Horsesh1t.

Can you even imagine the number of fights broken up across all the schools in this nation on a daily basis?

The reason why this story is news is because it isn’t the norm and it happened to be caught on video.

What’s to stop someone from suing a teacher for inaction? This video evidence would clearly show negligence on this teacher’s behalf if the victim in this video crops up some type of injury from the assault.

If everyone is going to be scared of being sued, all of us might as well hole up in our homes and have no contact with anyone.

The threat of a lawsuit is a lame excuse for being a crappy human being.

ButterflyDragon on May 11, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Scary thing is, as of this typing, 13 ‘people’ taking the poll voted ‘Unsure/No Opinion’. I guess those 13 morons took their voting cue from Precedent Present. If I was the parent of the bullied child, I’d sue the pants off that teacher, that administration and that school district for neglect and child abuse. Time to throw their rules back at them.

RickZ on May 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Dr Evil on May 11, 2011 at 10:25 AM

We saw that creeping in in Virginia Beach also. Constant vigilance for “gang attire”. I would continually remind them the students that we were in Virginia Beach, not Compton. But things were getting rough.

Cindy Munford on May 11, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Such a large segment of our society is so averse to responsibility and consequences and I strongly suspect this adds to the difficulty in controlling students.

As stated earlier, there were big kids, mean kids and bullies even years ago. The differences, it seems, can be traced pretty clearly to accountability and consequences.

Since I’m not the first to do it, I’ll feel less old saying “in my day”, but when I was in school a kid starting a fight was quickly dealt with – a suspension or some kind of consequence was always the result. A kid being picked on who decided not to take it was never punished, but was told it’s OK because you were defending yourself – a smart and admirable thing. Accountability now is all koyaanisqatsi – we are afraid to punish the bullies but treat the victim who simply stands up for himself as though deserving of some form of discipline.

Without accountability some kids will be unafraid of acting like the bully in this story. Knowing teachers can’t step in and that nobody will fight back makes a pretty sweet setup for a bully.

(now that I think of it, the situation kind of reminds me of the liberal take on another self-defense issue – rules that only affect the people who actually obey rules and effectively render them without defense)

RDuke on May 11, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I don’t know how this information is getting so screwed up in the delivery. A good friend of mine is a high school teacher in Texas. Getting involved in a physical altercation with a student or between two students is one of the major things they are not allowed to do. It is one of the few things that can result in almost immediate termination. They are told that the only ones that should be intervening in situations like this are the associate principals.

bj1126 on May 11, 2011 at 11:25 AM

This is the ultimate destination of where libbies/lawyers/government want us to be. Basically, you just have to take it; whatever it is, just take it. Do not resist, do not fight back, just suck it. If someone is going to kill you, oh well, we’ll have a nice trial where people in expensive suits can talk about it and you can look down from heaven. Oops! We don’t believe in heaven! Oh well, sorry about you being dead and all. If the government wants to seize your private property to build a mall, just take it. They know best about the general welfare and the people’s happiness. Besides, they have friends that need to be rewarded for past favours. Need more examples?

yubley on May 11, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Why don’t you do something about it?

Vince on May 11, 2011 at 9:29 AM

What would you suggest?
I am not an administrator.
If I were to have seen a fight like that, I would most certainly have done something other than what this idiot did.
What I am saying is that if those of you who are so quick to judge think that the answers to some of these questions are so easy, I would say that they are most certainly not all of the time.
I am the 1st teacher here to give other teachers their criticism.
I am pointing out a huge problem in our society.
We are forced to educate kids who should not be in school bcs they are a danger to others & do not want to learn.
And yet these kids are not usually permanently removed until something horrendous occurs.
So while I can assure you, Vince, that I AM doing my job & what I can about things like bullying & preventing confrontations in school, I cannot do much beyond that when the administration doesn’t do its job & the community keeps voting for the same brain dead idiots for school board positions.
You can relate this directly to politics.
Why don’t you do something about the political situation in this country instead of coming here to talk about it?
Bcs you do what you can.
I am almost insulted that you would even remotely suggest I am not doing anything.

Badger40 on May 11, 2011 at 11:30 AM

bj1126 on May 11, 2011 at 11:25 AM

All well and good but it does not excuse this clown for passively standing by.

notalemon on May 11, 2011 at 11:32 AM

We are no longer a society when we refuse to come to aid of the attacked young people and enforce the basic laws to protect them in the schools. We are only a huge government internment camp for worthless sub-humans. The Administrators who are paid 400,000 and early retirements will not do anything except ride the system for their own benefit, and that leadership style flows down to the privileged teachers. Any attack in a school by a bully is handled as a mandatory suspension of the attacker and the victim. That is all they will do to keep the worthless sub-humans in line.

jimw on May 11, 2011 at 11:34 AM

And yet schools maintain a zero tolerance policy on guns that causes them to suspend students who draw a picture of one. Brilliant.

SKYFOX on May 11, 2011 at 11:39 AM

How about summoning an administrator rather than wait for one to “wander by”.

Buttercup on May 11, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Fighting we can live with…

… but don’t you EVER bring a cell phone that may record what actually goes on inside the classroom!

Seven Percent Solution on May 11, 2011 at 11:41 AM

WTF is wrong with people? A fat, lazy, wuss of a teacher watching a kid

Tim_CA on May 11, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Disgusting, from start to finish.

GaltBlvnAtty on May 11, 2011 at 11:50 AM

The system should indemnify the teachers. And, frankly, the teacher should, in this case, be an accomplice to the beating.

This is just insane!!

What the hell is wrong with people?

Pablo Snooze on May 11, 2011 at 11:51 AM

What, no body slam at the end?

tommer74 on May 11, 2011 at 11:52 AM

It’s a mixed response for me. If I wasn’t protected by the law and the rules then I wouldn’t have physically broken up the fight. However I still would attempted to move in front of the kid that was being hit or at least moved as if that’s what I was going to do. I wouldn’t have stood as still as Al Gore and watched it happen like that teacher did.

If we are going to expect teachers to break up fights then we have to protect them from lawsuits and discipline from doing so.

Also, the school threatening to discipline the kid that recorded the fight is obviously an attempt to squelch any further leaks of teacher or administrative stupidity.

Benaiah on May 11, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Karmi on May 11, 2011 at 10:18 AM

So only cops, bouncers & security guards etc. should step in and help victims being beaten?

tommer74 on May 11, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I voted Only if they are covered, but I could have easily said Yes, it’s part of their job. The school should protect their teachers.

What do they tell kids when they are being bullied? FIND A TEACHER! That cannot be the answer if the teachers do nothing. What can parents teach their kids to do? FIGHT BACK! This leads to the bullied kids getting suspended because of fighting.

I guess I will have to teach my kids how to fight to harm any other kids who attacks them. Aim for the face, stomach, kidney, straigten out their elbow til it is locked, then hit the elbow with everything you have to dislocate it. That is all they can do. If they get suspended, then I will simply tell them, it’s okay, they were defending themselves.

jeffn21 on May 11, 2011 at 12:03 PM

They said the Teacher was a “Personell issue”, which means they are now training teachers to confiscate cell phones and cameras.

jeffn21 on May 11, 2011 at 12:04 PM

bj1126 on May 11, 2011 at 11:25 AM

So they should just stand by and watch as a helpless child gets killed by another one?

What if someone pulled out a gun? Are you allowed to interfere then?

Remember this the next time these teachers claim they are underpaid.

This is just disgusting.

WisCon on May 11, 2011 at 12:13 PM

If you want to control your classroom you have to set the standards and adhere to them (hot stove analogy: touch a hot stove it burns you with no do overs). It really was that easy. I left teaching when the administration began interfering with my classroom standards and decided I couldn’t teach chemistry anymore because my students were doing to well and it was embarrassing to the other district chemistry teachers.

I have never had an issue in 9 years with discipline on my classroom. Even when I had a bunch of Indian drug-using criminals in class.
They respect me. I give them the respect they deserve & crab at them when necessary.
I will always intervene, no matter.
But I think someday I’m probably going to have to quit teaching bcs of the PC BS.
And when I quit, they’ll get a substandard individual to replace me.
Like this teacher in the video.

I have to say this is where the union shines in protecting teachers from these complaints.
Mr. Bingley on May 11, 2011 at 9:20 AM

The ONLY reason I’m a union member in a right-to-work state. Liability insurance in case the school district doesn’t back me. Bcs they are cowards. Which happens all the time.

I will never step back into a high school classroom. Never. And I was a fantastic teacher. We’re lucky anyone at all is willing to teach high school because it’s gotta be one of the suckiest jobs out there. It’s like asking a truck driver to do his job without a steering wheel or brakes. He’s going to fail because you’ve set it up so that he can’t possibly succeed.
aero on May 11, 2011 at 9:24 AM

After 9 years, I’m already getting burned out from the constant stupidity & waste I am surrounded by.
I challenge ALL of the people with quick judgements here about teachers to come & teach for just a few weeks.
Then’ they’ll understand.
Not everyone is good at this.
How many of you have ever had continual time with a roomful of other people’s kids day in & day out from all different backgrounds?
It ain’t easy.

Her response was no. She loved teaching, would love to continue but administrators had given her a bad review for interfering in the fight and the chances of being retained at the end of the year were slight. She also hinted there was just a slight tinge of accusations of racism also. You see she was white and the combatants were black and in some worlds that is all it takes. With her being a former Marine I am pretty sure she didn’t see black or white. She saw two thugs in serious need of an attitude adjustment. And then there was the whole Marine thing. Administrators made it clear that they didn’t think somebody trained in creating violence was a good fit in the world of academia. Her career field in the Marines was communications, not exactly known for fixing bayonets and charging into enemy fortifications.
Just A Grunt on May 11, 2011 at 9:28 AM

I’ve know a few teachers this has happened to.
How can any of you wonder why there is such incompetence in public schools when those are the only people who stay?
Those of us who are competent get burned out & LEAVE.

Clearly, when a child can’t be protected by the all-caring teachers…it is not “about the children” but “all about myself”. And don’t give me this “I don’t want to get suspended” crap. One teacher that gets disciplined for defending a kid just needs to go to the local news. A local news station would LOVE to run a story of local teacher helping someone’s kid being victimized by bureaucrats. It’s called doing what’s right, even if it breaks a rule.
search4truth on May 11, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Please see the Marine lady story above.
I have stood up against an administration.
It cost me my JOB.
And I did nothing wrong.
I did what was right.
And I was non-renewed for it.
So pray tell what quality of educators do you think schools end up with when this garbage happens?
The good teachers get forced out of the profession one way or another.

On the other hand, this is the environment that teachers that have created by apologizing for and teaching acceptance and tolerance of any kind of behavior. So this kind of incident is largely of the teacher’s own making.
jjrakman on May 11, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Evidently you have never taught, or have a clue what goes on in schools.
It CAN be a teacher’s own making.
But incidents will still happen no matter who’s in charge.
Those of us who do what is right & get fired for it cannot stop this.
YOU & everyone else need to stop blaming & do something to help us out.
Bcs it isn’t going to get any better.

I, and I am assuming, many others here choose to get involved….I just can’t stand by and watch someone get beaten or tormented.
Baxter Greene on May 11, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Yep. I would, too.
And then after I lose my job, I’ll go out & getter a better paying job & be much happier.
Unfortunately, the kids I used to teach, & thiose behind them, will lose out bcs I left & they’ll get a moron in my place, like the guy in the video.

Its called having control of your classroom.
red131 on May 11, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Works for me.
But not everyone. It’s real easy to judge when you’re not there everyday.

The teachers in public schools do not care about anything except pay and benefits.
NoDonkey on May 11, 2011 at 9:51 AM

There are a lot of us who do not fit under your blanket statement.
I care about my students. But I don’t lay awake at night either worrying abt things I have no control over.
I do what I can. But some things are out of our hands.
Like my pregnant 15yo student who was a foster kid being allowed to skip school all of the time & the district did NOTHING, even though I tried to do something.
Hard to get $hit done when EVERYONE ignores you.

Sue the kid’s parents also and file assault charges against the kids.
Or do something to change the system.
Vince on May 11, 2011 at 9:51 AM

You are living in a fantsy world if you think it’s that easy.
You know damned well the real world doesn’t always work that way.
It’s sure easy for you to throw stones from the sideline.
Get your a$$ in here & help us out instead of pointingfingers & charging that we’re all lazy or don’t care enough to do something.

kc-anathema on May 11, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Even the best teacher can lose control through no fault of their own.
Like the best parents in the world can turn out a rotten, worthless adult.

Chessplayer on May 11, 2011 at 10:47 AM

If I get pushed any further by my admin, I will quit teaching. With my BS degree, I will have no problem getting a job in ND right now.
But I love teaching.
People in our society need to make a bigger fuss to support those of us who ARE doing our jobs well.
Not enough of that happens.
Which is why I am ready quit teaching.

The threat of a lawsuit is a lame excuse for being a crappy human being.
ButterflyDragon on May 11, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Sure. But not everyone is as great as you are.
Not everyone assumes risk the same way that we do.
It’s very easy to judge teachers in general. This guy is an easy target.
But how ’bout me?
I will not, in the end, knowingly risk my family’s financial security if I don’t have to.
Having said that, I am ready to protect ANYONE from violence if I know I can.

Badger40 on May 11, 2011 at 12:13 PM

FoByFo on May 11, 2011 at 9:55 AM

If the government won’t get out of the public school system, replace the teachers with people from the military.

I guarantee you there won’t be a fight after that.

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 12:14 PM

That policy section was probably substituted for the ever important policy section on how to handle discipline a student with a Christmas related utterance.

anuts on May 11, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Badger40 on May 11, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Wow. I hope you copied that post before hitting submit. Would have sucked to lose it.

BadgerHawk on May 11, 2011 at 12:18 PM

SKYFOX on May 11, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Zero tolerance policies are a RESULT of lawsuits being brought against schools in this nation for stupid $hit.
It is for the same reason that insurance for various things is so expensive.
If America is disgusted with Zero Tolerance policies, which
I am, then we all have to make legislators do something about it.
We need TORT reform.

Badger40 on May 11, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Sue the kid’s parents also and file assault charges against the kids.

Or do something to change the system.

Vince on May 11, 2011 at 9:51 AM

The problem is a teacher would never win that lawsuit.(you cant sue a 16 year old, and you wont win a suit against parents like that) If a t3eacher broke up a fight and injured one of the combatants in the process the teacher would be fired and successfully sued.

snoopicus on May 11, 2011 at 12:25 PM

BadgerHawk on May 11, 2011 at 12:18 PM

LOL!
I did.
I just felt I had to respond to all of that.
Sorry it was so long.
But I am a teacher in HS going through this.
I really get sick of the same old a-holes attacking ALL of us when teachers like me are busting our a$$es trying to do everything that the administration should be doing.
Maybe you know what it’s like, but I feel absolutely helpless when I want to stop bullying behavior in our school & when I tell the principal, he does NOTHING about it or even takes it seriously.
From now on & I am putting EVERYTING on PAPER about ANY incident to the principal so I don’t get sued.
I cannot do my job effectively when the admin does not do their job.
Our little rural school’s discipline has gone down the toilet since we got our principal.
And our suptd is just as worthless.
The kids here know they can get away with anything.
I have so far had no problems bcs my students respect me.
I also think they know I WILL kick their a$$e$ if they pi$$ me off.
Maybe not literally.
Tho there is a 6’8″ kid here that is pure trouble.
I verbally disciplined him yesterday in the hall & he smarted back to me.
I told him to STFU, literally. And to NEVER talk to me that way again OR ELSE.
He was so shocked by my use of the F-word he had no comeback.

Badger40 on May 11, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I remember when Joe Ward pulled a knife on Lenny Paglio in my sixth grade math class and our teacher, small little Herb Carpenter, jumped over the chairs and wrestled him to the ground. A different time.

rrpjr on May 11, 2011 at 12:26 PM

snoopicus on May 11, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Not to mention you have to come up with a chunk of cash in the 1st place on your own if you can’t get anyone to help you, which is likely.

Badger40 on May 11, 2011 at 12:27 PM

A different time.

rrpjr on May 11, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I want that time back.
A time when parents backed the teacher.
Bcs they knew their kid probably deserved punishment or the whack on the head.
I have no problem with disciplining a kid.
I’ve never had to be physical bcs I have the ‘look’ that makes them feel like garbage.
Got it from my mom. My mother never had to strike me bcs she’d just give you the ‘look’.
It made you feel like a lowly worm.

Badger40 on May 11, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Badger40 on May 11, 2011 at 12:25 PM

The thing that amazes me is the fact that a teacher isn’t repsonsible for the safety and security of kids IN THEIR OWN CLASSROOM.

I never even pondered how that could be the case. I still don’t quite get it.

Maybe the military needs to push TroopsToTeachers a bit more.

BadgerHawk on May 11, 2011 at 12:30 PM

replace the teachers with people from the military.

I guarantee you there won’t be a fight after that.

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Even the military has these kinds of issues.
Don’t fool yourself.
I’ve watched the military get wussified, too.

Badger40 on May 11, 2011 at 12:31 PM

BadgerHawk on May 11, 2011 at 12:30 PM

i think it depends upon school policy.
In our school, there’s nothing in our policy about fights & how a teacher should act.
It’s a pretty religious, conservative community I live in.
But it only takes one jerk to cause a school to implement retarded policies like zero tolerance, which we have not, yet.
I cannot imagine teaching in like Boston, where my girlfriend teaches. After only 4 years of teaching, she is quitting.
Her hands are always tied.
She hates it.
And so there’s another talented teacher, gone from the system.

Badger40 on May 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I’m employed in the workers comp biz (recession-free!) and I can’t tell you how many injuries are sustained by teachers (especially by “paraeducators”) breaking up altercations in the classroom.

When I was in grade school, there might have been one or two kids in the whole school who would slug someone in the course of a school year. It was generally agreed that they were from “bad families” where the parents were indifferent.

disa on May 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM

disa on May 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I have a friend who was injured during an altercation.
The school didn’t fire her, but they refused to cover her injuries bcs of it.
It was their policy of not getting involved that way that they were able to do this to her.
She broke her elbow & incurred a LOT of medical expense, lost wages, etc.
She is still fighting worker’s comp over this after 2 years.
I don’t see her winning.
Now do you all understand WHY people don’t want to get involved?

Badger40 on May 11, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I watched the link to the second fight video, and still wonder: where are the students in the class(es)?! What do they say about what is happening in their class?

In the second video, the newscaster quoted a student (but didn’t use the audio) that this was “like a fight club.” When you watch the second video, it does indeed appear that the teacher is allowing the fight, and is perhaps condoning this happening. Does he use this as a method to “keep control” over hot-headed thugs he has to teach? Horrible as it is to believe, it’s a possibility.

What do the other students say? What does this teacher do on a regular basis? Don’t just ask the victim; he is obviously hurt, and has a stake in this situation’s outcome. Talk to the other students (those with the cameras, for example); they know what goes on in there every day. Any “geometry” being taught? Does (or did!) the teacher condone this, allow this to happen?

More information needs to be known. Reporters, do your job!

Regardless, this teacher is NOT wimpy. He has a thick neck, looks like he could clock and take out anyone he wants to take out. Why isn’t he intervening in these outbreaks of violence? Does he think this is the best way to handle the non-stop hostility that seems to define this generation of teens? He should have intervened – why didn’t he?

More information, please.

DINORight on May 11, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Badger40 on May 11, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I have a good “look” too. I look over the top of my glasses and frown. I had no idea how good it was until my grandson once said to me “Grandma, cover your eyes! They are scaring me.”

It works well in my job at the In School Suspension room. If the Look itself isn’t enough, the Look and placing my hands on my desk as if I am going to have to get up and Come Over There usually works.

Although I did once almost get my nose broken when I didn’t duck fast enough and caught a flying elbow. Dropped me to my knees. But that was a special education student and he wasn’t fighting or even trying to hit me, he just lost control in the classroom and was flailing around.

Which leads me to my next point. I have no idea what the status of the students were in the video, but if the aggressor was on and IEP, there may be a reason the teacher stood by. They get a pass for all kinds of behaviors that other kids have to answer for. That may explain the other student just standing there and not fighting back too. Even the kids will put up with stuff from Sped kids that they wouldn’t from other kids.

Not always, but more that I would have thought before I worked at a school.

Lily on May 11, 2011 at 12:53 PM

The stupidity of some students in not considering the likelihood of being caught & punished also makes being a teacher, even an elderly teacher, dangerous:

Chessplayer on May 11, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Maybe the military needs to push TroopsToTeachers a bit more.

BadgerHawk on May 11, 2011 at 12:30 PM

That program, which was in fact started by Bill Clintoon, basically ignored by the Democrat Media for the 8 years following his pResidency.

Why did they ignore it? Because incoming First Laura Laura Bush made it one of her official causes. So they couldn’t continue to publicize it, and concentrated instead on how as a teenager she ran a stop light and killed a high school classmate.

The fact that this took place 14 years before she even met Chimpy was irrelevant in their strange world.

Del Dolemonte on May 11, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Badger40 on May 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I’m also quitting as a teacher. I work at a high school here in Utah. I love the job and the staff are great but I put in more hours outside the classroom than in the class room and I don’t get paid for that.

I used to teach Deaf students but the system works against the teacher and the kids. I left that job because the school policies and curriculum do not educate our children.

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Now do you all understand WHY people don’t want to get involved?

Badger40 on May 11, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Related to the above quote:

I read a bio/article by a Los Angeles city teacher who was attacked by her students. These “boys” were not 18 yet, but they were over 6 feet, hulking, muscular, and had no desire to be in school. She had to teach them, or try. They had no respect for her, for the school’s disciplinary system, no fear of anyone. No fear. No morals. No shame.

When they beat her up, putting her in the hospital, causing her life-time physical damage, they celebrated. They were suspended, not expelled.

As for the teacher, she never went back. Being a person of minority status, she had gotten into teaching to help the underprivileged students, and chose to work with people who she hoped would “want” to learn from someone who “cared” and “believed in them.” She believed the lies fed her that these kids “just need a chance in life.” She is living proof that it was all a lie. A big lie.

They took her out. And they were proud of it.

The school system did not fully compensate her for lost wages; her health insurance was maxed out; her quality of life is forever changed.

That is what today’s public schools allow. And it will only get worse, unless the government gets out of education. Period.

DINORight on May 11, 2011 at 1:03 PM

If this kid is determined to serve as a human punching bag, this isn’t the first or last time in his life that he’s gonna get his lights punched out. He could at least learn to throw a good, hard sucker punch. The punk hitting him should be locked up until he’s 21, at least.

whatcat on May 11, 2011 at 1:05 PM

rrpjr on May 11, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Yup, in my junior high days we had one teach who would take a troublemaker out of class and vigorously introduce him to the nearest row of lockers.

whatcat on May 11, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Can’t touch the kids? Fine…

Pull the fire alarm, and then bill the bully’s parents for the cost of having the cops and the FD show up…

Khun Joe on May 11, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Lily on May 11, 2011 at 12:53 PM

“SpEd”, my derriere – “punks who need to be thrown in jail (or “institutionalized”, for the actual crazies)” is the correct term.

whatcat on May 11, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Public Schools have insurance to cover the cost of law suits. The teacher could have broken up the fight. He looks like he didn’t have any control over his classroom. He should be replaced with someone competent that can control a classroom.

Dr Evil on May 11, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Im assuming you have taken the time to read every insurance policy for every schoold district in texas? Of course you haven’t. You’re just making sh*t up and pretending to know what your talking about

snoopicus on May 11, 2011 at 1:21 PM

My understanding of this situation is that:

1. The school won’t legally back teachers if they physically break up a fight and have been told, explicitly, not to do so.

2. If they DO physically break up a fight and someone gets hurt due to their interference, all liability is then on them personally.

3. If they DO physically break up a fight and get hurt, any missed work time or medical bills aren’t covered by the school.

If the above is all accurate, why in the holy hell would anyone here vote “yes, it’s part of the job” on that survey?!?

The teachers have rules, rules that may suck but they are the rules, that they have to follow regarding fights in the classroom. To break those rules is stupid beyond belief due to what can happen in terms of injury and litigation.

Now, should the teacher verbally order the kids to knock it the hell off – yes. Then, when they don’t, the teacher has followed the rules and the little rat bastages can get their well-deserved suspensions for fighting in class AND disobeying a direct order from a teacher.

Pretty disappointed to see option #1 on the survey running away with it when #2 is clearly the only viable answer for the teacher as things now stand.

Pizz poor, people. Pizz poor. :(

RedNewEnglander on May 11, 2011 at 1:23 PM

I’da bent that lil prick over, yoked down his drawers, and spanked him like the toddler he is. Then I would march his @zz, sans pants, down to the ‘administrators’ office and called the cops on the arrogant pecker.

StompUDead on May 11, 2011 at 1:24 PM