Video: Texas teacher stands by while bully repeatedly slugs student in class

posted at 8:48 am on May 11, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Should teachers intervene to break up fights in classrooms? That’s the question posed by Fox News in Dallas-Fort Worth last night after a YouTube video showing a very one-sided fight made the rounds. In the video, which picks up the altercation in progress, one boy punches another with the requisite bully flourishes while the victim stands as passively as the teacher off to his side. Teacher groups responded by saying intervention is a “tough call,” as school districts don’t always compensate for injuries in breaking up fights. Better to wait until an administrator wanders by, they say:

Video: Teacher Watches as Students Fight: MyFoxDFW.com

The video shows 17-year-old Michael Milczanowksi getting punched over and over during geometry class. His teacher stands by watching as he appears to take several blows to the head.

While it may seem the teacher could have intervened, a teacher’s union president said that is not what teachers are told to do.

“In today’s society which is a violent society, you do not touch the student. That should be left up to the administration,” said Rena Honea of Alliance-AFT. “I believe that that is for the safety of number one the students, but for the individual teacher as well.”

The district said it has no policy on how teachers should handle student fights because every situation is different.

Today’s “violent society” in schools might be violent precisely because schools don’t exercise authority like they did 40 years ago. Contra the notion aired in the second half of the spot, schools have always had big kids that presented disciplinary problems.  What they used to have were teachers who took charge, not stand passively by while mayhem ensued.  And if the argument is relative compensation as the determining factor, well, perhaps we should go back to what compensation profiles looked like 40 and 50 years ago.

This case doesn’t fit those weak rationalizations, anyway.  The kid involved is not some huge linebacker; it’s a skinny teenager who appears to be no more than half the bulk of the teacher.  Moreover, this isn’t even really a fight.  It’s one kid beating on another.  The risks of intervention seem rather low in this instance, while the long-term risks of non-intervention are much higher.  Every kid who sat in that classroom and saw their teacher either be too afraid or uncaring to stop a bully will never look at that teacher or school in the same way ever again, and probably authority as well.

If we want to teach that violence is its own reward, is “today’s violent society” any surprise?

What do you think?  Should teachers stop fights in schools?  Take the poll:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Passivity in a situation like this is really repulsive to behold. It looks like the teacher is off in a happy place, probably daydreaming about when he can vote for Barack Obama again.

Kensington on May 11, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Today we refuse to admit that some of the little b*stards need to be left behind and keep rotten kids that don’t want to learn and don’t want to be there in school instead of expelling them. Sure, they get suspended for a few days here or there or moved to the “alternative” school in the district for a semester, but eventually they end up back in “gen pop” disrupting classes for everybody else. As a society we’ve bought into the fantasy that every hood rat is a potential Nobel prize winner if only we don’t give up on them. Until we realize that it’s a fool’s errand to pretend that every kid, no matter how poor, dumb, or psychotic needs to prepare for college we will never clean up our public schools. Bring back more Votech classes, make it easier to get a GED, and run the stupid, violent, and lazy kids out of the schools. Somebody’s got to pump gas, dig ditches, and be cannon fodder.

Dukeboy01 on May 11, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Pretty disappointed to see option #1 on the survey running away with it when #2 is clearly the only viable answer for the teacher as things now stand.
RedNewEnglander on May 11, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Yeah, when did the “I was just doing my job” Nuremberg defense fall into such disfavor anyway???

whatcat on May 11, 2011 at 1:34 PM

“Until we realize that it’s a fool’s errand to pretend that every kid, no matter how poor, dumb, or psychotic needs to prepare for college we will never clean up our public schools. Bring back more Votech classes, make it easier to get a GED, and run the stupid, violent, and lazy kids out of the schools.
Dukeboy01 on May 11, 2011″

Yup. Works for me.

whatcat on May 11, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Zero tolerance for violence in the classroom includes zero tolerance for those who tolerate violence. That teacher should be fired — contract not renewed at end of year.

unclesmrgol on May 11, 2011 at 1:36 PM

The “protecting students” budget has already been consumed by the “searching for tweezers,” “searching for nail clippers,” and “searching for aspirin” initiatives, where, in contrast to “protecting students,” every situation is the same and they can automatically expel violators for life without the confusion from having to think or actually deal with the situation.

The teacher was obviously waiting for the victim to curse, at which time he could be expelled for “hate speech”.

But don’t call the teacher and the school administrators “do nothings”: they have already mounted an effort to find and punish the student who took the pictures of this attack (and thus embarrassed the educatorazis).

/SARC>

landlines on May 11, 2011 at 1:37 PM

unclesmrgol on May 11, 2011 at 1:36 PM

So, you’re willing to punish the teacher because he happened to have a little bastage in his class AND because the teacher followed the rules set forth for him? What are you – a Democrap?!? :/

RedNewEnglander on May 11, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Ever wonder why our educational quality and bility is so poor?

Classes are taught at a level so the bully can pass vs. kicking him out if he causes problems and/or won’t keep up, aren’t they? Teachers, please correct me if I’m wrong.

rogerb on May 11, 2011 at 1:43 PM

If, after the first punch thrown, the primary aggressor is knocked upside the head with a baseball bat kept behind the teacher’s desk, there will be no more problems in that classroom. But, as good teacher’s union members, the teachers are more interested in asking the bully how he feels.

sgtstogie on May 11, 2011 at 1:44 PM

RedNewEnglander on May 11, 2011 at 1:23 PM

The teacher, if physically unable to intervene, could have called the cops!!!

Sitting there and taking no action is an irresponsible dereliction of duty…and warrants dismissal for not understanding her job.

Worse, failure to take action teaches those who disrupt classes that they…not the teachers…are in charge. The inevitable consequence is more chaos.

landlines on May 11, 2011 at 1:47 PM

So, you’re willing to punish the teacher
RedNewEnglander

Only after a prolonged public shaming. Then fire his sorry azz.

whatcat on May 11, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Years ago I subbed in a kindergarten class where one kid spent most of the day with an aide next to him, whilst curled in a fetal ball. In the bus line to go home at lunch he hauled off and punched the girl next to him in the stomach so hard she nearly threw up. He then acted perfectly normal like nothing had happened. The rest of the class assured me that this was standard behaviour for this particular little snowflake. I wrote everything up, and the next time I was at that school the principal hauled me over the coals for not following the detailed behaviour managment plan, the one that was NOT left out for me to read. By not following it I had set little snowflake back by months. Personally, (especially since I had met mom) I thought that little snowflake needed a good spanking. However I was too stunned to point out to her that if one of my kids was in that class, the first time snowflake punched her I’d be in the principal’s office. The second time, my lawyer would be serving the school board. So far they had been lucky no one else was as much of a cranky bitch as I can be. And this sort of crap is one of the reasons why I didn’t persue a teaching certificate.

I do understand the liability issues.

However….

If one of my daughters is ever the victim of a sustained physical assault at school and I find out that there was a teacher or other adult just standing by doing nothing, I will be finding a lawyer, and the school will be facing all the hell I can rain down upon them. They are supposed to be providing my child with a safe learning environment, and if they won’t even try to protect her… If they try to punish any adult who does try to help my kid, they probably won’t be happy either.

Also, both of my girls know that I don’t ever, ever want to hear that one of them started anything. But if someone else does, they have my blessing to do their best to end it, and I will support them fully.

LibraryGryffon on May 11, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Cowards.

jawkneemusic on May 11, 2011 at 1:51 PM

The teacher, if physically unable to intervene, could have called the cops!!!

landlines on May 11, 2011 at 1:47 PM

1. Is calling the police allowed by the admin’s current rules or are the teachers to notify admin and let THEM decide what to do?

2. The teacher is a “he” AND, as has been explained, he did what his job description allows him to do – not intervene physically. Did you even watch this vid or read the article? :(

3. The little prycks already know they are in charge – thank a lawyer and/or liberal near you!

RedNewEnglander on May 11, 2011 at 1:52 PM

So, you’re willing to punish the teacher
RedNewEnglander
Only after a prolonged public shaming. Then fire his sorry azz.

whatcat on May 11, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Wow. That’s so wrong-headed, I think there’s only one thing I can say. . .

“CHECK, PLEASE! WE’RE THROUGH HERE!”

RedNewEnglander on May 11, 2011 at 1:54 PM

So what would the parents of the punching bag do if the kid ended up with a broken jaw, or some sort of brain injury? They would sue the school!! Might as well have the teacher step in and stop it before something happens.

tommer74 on May 11, 2011 at 1:54 PM

With this and zero tolerance rules we can replace teachers and school administrators with robots. No need to use judgement, just follow the rules and not worry about consequnces of action/in-action.

tommer74 on May 11, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I am now a retired public school teacher but in my 38 year career I broke up more than my fair share of fights. One thing I noticed from the time I first started my career until the time I retired is that the scope and the ferocity of the incidents became increasingly severe and increasingly difficult to ” break up” with fights often involving more than two students. Arrests for felonious assault were almost the norm after a fight.

I stopped breaking up fights after I was arrested for defending a student from another student who was obviously trying to hurt the other. The aggressive student did not appreciate my intervention and began a violent struggle with me punctuated by various cursings that would have turned the saltiest sailor red faced with embarrassment. As we struggled we both fell to the floor and the student I was trying to control was slightly injured. His parents pressed charges against me for assault and battery even though I never struck the student and my career was in danger. Fortunately the school division defended me and all charges were dropped as well as my arrest record purged but it was still a truamatic experience.

I can certainly understand the teacher that does not want to get physically involved but, given what I can see on the video, this particular one sided “fight” would have been relatively easy to stop. The aggressor wasn’t that aggressive and was a typical cowardly bully who identified someone he could intimidate and did so impressing his classmates with his veracity. He was probably hoping that someone would intervene and when no one did, he just stopped.

sdd on May 11, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Ed, that’s the best reason I’ve seen in this post why he should have intervened.

RMCS_USN on May 11, 2011 at 2:10 PM

“Grandma, cover your eyes! They are scaring me.”

Lily on May 11, 2011 at 12:53 PM

LOL! You made my day with that!

I’m also quitting as a teacher. I work at a high school here in Utah.
Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 1:01 PM

It’s very sad you have to.
I’m not there yet. But it might be coming. We’ll see. I’m already in it for another year at least.

That is what today’s public schools allow. And it will only get worse, unless the government gets out of education. Period.

DINORight on May 11, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Agreed. It is up to the individual states & the local communities how they want to teach their young.
The Fed has no business in it whatsoever.

Badger40 on May 11, 2011 at 2:14 PM

sdd on May 11, 2011 at 2:06 PM

You were fortunate they backed you.
How many stories have happened where the teacher was abandoned?
Terrible.
Thank God you were vindicated.

Badger40 on May 11, 2011 at 2:16 PM

The kid taking the punches is going to have to learn that he must defend himself and that relying on someone else for protection will leave him the victim every time. He should have backhanded the bully first for surprise, then drilled him in the chest second to take the effer’s breath away and put him on his heels and then delivered the coup de gras right on the bully’s nose for intense pain memory impulse. Only untill you stand up to bullies, will it stop.

Teachers or suspension be damned.

44Magnum on May 11, 2011 at 2:19 PM

If they were only overweight, the government could do something.

nico on May 11, 2011 at 2:36 PM

sdd on May 11, 2011 at 2:06 PM
You were fortunate they backed you.
How many stories have happened where the teacher was abandoned?
Terrible.
Thank God you were vindicated.

Badger40 on May 11, 2011 at 2:16 PM

And what if he weren’t? He would not be a “retired” teacher but a former teacher with a criminal record. Good luck getting back in to teaching with an assault charge on your record.

But, you know, that would have been fine to the majority here based on the poll. After all, “it’s part of the job.”

Shockingly naive for a conservative crowd. And sad. :_(

RedNewEnglander on May 11, 2011 at 2:49 PM

sdd on May 11, 2011 at 2:06 PM

You were fortunate they backed you.
How many stories have happened where the teacher was abandoned?
Terrible.
Thank God you were vindicated.

Badger40 on May 11, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I’m with Badger on this. You were very lucky that they backed you. Most of the time they don’t. I work at a great school district with a very supportive administration. I once even had a principal back a parent down who was threatening me. (Which was good, it probably saved my husband from having to take matters into his hands and that punk was not worth going to jail over.)

But I know that I can’t always count on that happening because principals come and go, which is why I am a member of the union. Just in case. I have to say that I know very few educators who are members of the union because they like it, or because they want to give money to the union, they just want someone to have their back. We have been watching the goings on in Wisconsin with horror.

Lily on May 11, 2011 at 3:00 PM

It was the second fight in this teacher’s class in three weeks.

Whew. It’s a relief to know he had the kids’ best interests in mind.

CO2 Producer on May 11, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Sadly, lawyers have dictated most teacher’s position on this. My wife taught public school in Texas for ten years and eventually quit for a variety of reasons, including the increasing restrictions being placed on teachers. As an elementary teacher it got to the point where she couldn’t hug her kids without the fear of a law suit for inappropriate behavior, or at a minimum a warning from an administrator. It’s truly sad that teachers are forced to behave this way.

Here’s the realistic scenario: Assume the teacher intervenes and they fall to the ground. The fall injures the bully, or the victim, or both. It is completely realistic that one or both of the parents could sue the teacher and the school for damages. Most likely the bully would sue for assault on a minor, and the victims parents will sue for failure to protect the student. It’s a lose-lose situation.

cannonball on May 11, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Shockingly naive for a conservative crowd. And sad. :_(

RedNewEnglander on May 11, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Umm..do you ever read any of my posts?
Perhaps you are not including me in your summarization of ‘conservatives’ here, but it sure sounds like it.
If you are, then please get a clue.
The man is damned lucky he was vindicated.
I’ve been arguing that’s not what always happens.
Sheez.

Lily on May 11, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Me too.
When a principal can lie about you & get away with it & smear your name so bad you can’t get another job & have to change professions, you sure as he!! want someone who’s got your backside.
Plus the fact that we work with KIDS who actually do lie & misrepresent things all of the time, whether on purpose or not, the liability factors we have to deal with is insane.
THAT’s why a lot of teachers join the union.
Bcs the union has legions of lawyers that will protect you.
And yes, I know that’s a double-edged sword there bcs those same lawyers will protect an incompetent idiot that deserves punishment.
But I’ll take any protection I can get.

It’s a lose-lose situation.

cannonball on May 11, 2011 at 3:23 PM

And like I said earlier, this is where zero-tolerance policies came from.
How many schools can really afford even one major lawsuit?
They can’t.
So they come up with this stuff, usually at the urging of insurance lawyers bcs it helps with their insurance rates.
Pretty much everything is decided on insurance risks/liability issues.

Badger40 on May 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Here in Colorado, if the victim defends himself, he is also suspended/expelled and ticketed by the cops. I don’t mean hitting back, I mean just putting your arms up to block a blow, it happened to my son his freshman year, and yes, there was a teacher in the room.

We had a talk with all of our kids after that and made it clear that they were to defend themselves and that we’d deal with any suspension. It didn’t happen again.

It reminds me of the UK where the victims of violent crimes are arrested.

Common Sense on May 11, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Student Bully = Future cop.

Teacher = Public claiming the kid probably asked for it.

Sammy316 on May 11, 2011 at 3:43 PM

“Until we realize that it’s a fool’s errand to pretend that every kid, no matter how poor, dumb, or psychotic needs to prepare for college we will never clean up our public schools. Bring back more Votech classes, make it easier to get a GED, and run the stupid, violent and [disruptive]lazy kids out of the schools.
Dukeboy01 on May 11, 2011″

Fixed.

Einstein failed math, and I’ll bet numerous posters here are “late bloomers” as far as lazy goes. Not wise to give up on anyone unless they are violent or disruptive in class.

scotash on May 11, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Blame it on racism. That’s what a democrat would do.

BelchSpeak on May 11, 2011 at 3:55 PM

We passed HB-375 in the New Hampshire House, which would give civil and criminal immunity to teachers and administrators who use reasonable force to stop such an incident where a student is harming himself or another student. The bill is now with the State Senate.

Bruce MacMahon on May 11, 2011 at 4:07 PM

By the Way: No touching the students do not apply to Dallas ISD teachers when it comes to raping children or having sex with them. 25 cases of sexual misconduct with children have been recorded in Dallas ISD in the past few years.

BelchSpeak on May 11, 2011 at 4:11 PM

At least call the cops and tell the kids to stop fighting, this brave union member just stood there and got paid, go figure.

Dollayo on May 11, 2011 at 4:20 PM

sgtstogie on May 11, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Oh, that’s realistic…

And if that were the case, we’d be hearing about “union thug teachers” threatening the poor children with baseball bats.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 11, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Larr on May 11, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Hey, I’m from Newport too! And my parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc. Now live in Texas, but I’ve been sooooo homesick for Newport.

mrsmwp on May 11, 2011 at 5:10 PM

As a red head in a ’50s country school, I solved problems myself. Just sayn’ but twice was not an option.

Caststeel on May 11, 2011 at 5:11 PM

I have a friend who was injured during an altercation.
The school didn’t fire her, but they refused to cover her injuries bcs of it.
It was their policy of not getting involved that way that they were able to do this to her.
She broke her elbow & incurred a LOT of medical expense, lost wages, etc.
She is still fighting worker’s comp over this after 2 years.
I don’t see her winning.
Now do you all understand WHY people don’t want to get involved?

Badger40 on May 11, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I know these things vary by state. The People’s Republic of Maryland always pays workers comp.

disa on May 11, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Maybe we should hire retired Marines to keep order in the classroom.

This is disgraceful.

disa on May 11, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Maybe we should hire retired Marines to keep order in the classroom.

This is disgraceful.

disa on May 11, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Just remember this will not work bcs they cannot use their tried & true methods of discipline. They will be fired for it.
Please see all my voluminous posts on this subject, ad nauseum.

Badger40 on May 11, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Sorry, I have thrown myself between combatants more time than I can count, and will probably do so many more times before I finally retire. They are generally very reluctant to hit the teacher, because hitting a classmate will just get them suspended. If they hit me they go to jail–it’s a felony. Sure, I’ve been hit, shoved, threatened, and verbally abused, but never actually seriously hurt. It’s unfortunately part of the job. I protect my students.

Bob's Kid on May 11, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Lord of the Flies coming to a classroom near you!

Scrappy on May 11, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I love their matter-of-fact attitude about the entire incident This is why Dallas in general and their school system specifically sucks.

Zaire67 on May 11, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Oh, and I’m 5′ 2″, mid fifties. Not at all imposing. I am diligent about classroom management, but you’d be amazed how quickly a couple of students can go after each other, particularly when there are 40 students in the room. We can say that yeah, some kids shouldn’t be there for a whole host of reasons, but our reality is that they ARE there and we’re expected to teach them.

I’m always amazed that on one hand people complain about how problem students are allowed to soil the educational nest and howbadthatisweshouldgetthosekidsoutoftheclassroomabdbygodsomeoneoughttodosomethingaboutit, but on the other hand the exact same people criticize us for poor classroom management, belonging to the union, poor test scores, and overall uselessness. The two sides of that coin are directly related, and there’s little or nothing the teacher can do about it.

As I always say, conservatives, stop complaining about us and join us–if it’s as easy as some people claim it is and the pay’s so good, why not?! :)

Bob's Kid on May 11, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Meanwhile Nutpolitano thinks veterans are terrorists….

Think of this as what to expect from government health care. The “show me the money” indifference of the IRS with the financial discipline of the Post Office, decrepitude of Chicago judges and politicians Liberally ((sic) and I do mean sick) seasoned with the brutality of union thugs.

viking01 on May 11, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Agreed. But you know when a situation such as Columbine occurs nobody saw it coming… with the age of youtube, cell phones and webcams we are learning differently. They saw it coming, they just did nothing to stop it.

canditaylor68 on May 11, 2011 at 7:22 PM

If you set your classroom straight from the get go and let students know who is in charge most of this crap can be avoided. Some teachers have zero classroom management skills and let students run their class. I own my classroom and my kids know it. Those who step over the line find out real quick. I’ve had a few kids drop mid semester because they don’t like the fact I get after them for offenses. I teach electives, so if they don’t like having to follow the rules they can go find a different class with a pushover teacher who won’t make them. As for the “don’t touch the students” nonsense, that’s a load of BS. If a student is endangering another student like the video you can physically control and subdue the student. A competent administrator will tell you that. Besides, if a student hits you its a felony and you can send his little ass to jail.

For those inquiring about military methods in the classroom, yes you can use them without being physical. Not every reprimand I received in the military was physical.

Logboy on May 11, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Adams vs. Chicago established that the POLICE have no legal responsibility to intervene on your behalf in the event that you are in peril.

With that in mind, you can’t expect a teacher to be ‘forced’ to throw themselves into the fray if a fight breaks out. I think most decent people will try to get between them and break up the fight but the law is on the teachers’ side in this case unfortunately. You can’t require someone to put their bodies in jeopardy to break up altercations whether you promise to pay for their injuries or not.

Again though, I think any good person would try to do something to stop the fight in a one sided fight like this.

MannyT-vA on May 11, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Maybe we should hire retired Marines to keep order in the classroom.

This is disgraceful.

disa on May 11, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Perhaps this kid just shouldn’t be around other children to begin with?

Just a thought…

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 11, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Second look at Little Zangief?

ZK on May 11, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Please, somebody stop the stupid! “The teacher won’t be indemnified if injured while breaking up a fight?” “The student taking the video may also be disciplined because using a phone in classrooms is prohibited”.

Also loved the comment about how there is no hard and fast policy about breaking up fights because each case is different and needs to be handled on a case by case basis. Really? A school district actually made a comment about unique situations and the need for case by case determination of appropriate response [when applied to a teachers actions]? This from the same entities that thrive on “zero tolerance” policies, punishing a child who brings a kitchen knife to school to cut her apple so she can eat it since she wears braces the same as a gangbanger bringing a knife to intimidate? That entity is now talking “case by case” and “each case is unique”?

Stop it, just stop it now. So much stupid!

AZfederalist on May 11, 2011 at 10:34 PM

I did not peruse the entire thread folks – simply not enough hours in a given day!

Hopefully someone beat me to the simplest explanation of all:

THANKS FOR NOTHING DOCTOR SPOCK!!

Katfish on May 11, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Every time I see a video like this it pisses me off to no end, particularly when some fat ass teacher (supposedly an adult and in authority) stands by and lets it happen. That punk in the hat has been getting away with this for years because he hasn’t had his ass beat yet. The other kid stands meekly and does nothing whatsoever because he grew up in public skrools with their rules, and he believed he would be in trouble if he reacted.

The public school system is pathetically broken, and nothing will fix them unless they follow the example in Wisconsin, then go further and start firing some of these slugs who refuse to act as an authority in their classroom.

That fat union skank would be singing a different tune if it were here son.

After homeschooling my kids for years, my son and daughter wanted to try public schools. My son started as a Freshman, my daughter in the 6th grade.

Within the first three days of school, my son got into a fight on the school bus with a senior bully. Luckily he was strong enough to hold his own and get the better of the bully.

I get a call from the principle that my son was in his office, and the police were on their way to question him about the fight. Zero tolerance policies and all.

I told the principle nobody was questioning my juvenile son without my presence, and said I would be there in 10 minutes. He was shocked I not only wanted to be there, but would actually show up.

When I got there, the punk and his friends who protected him had already been questioned by Mr. principle. Then my son was questioned in his presence, and the cop showed up but lessened his presence as if his time was being wasted by administrative buffoons. After my son was questioned, the principle had the guts to say someone was not telling the truth, and suggested it was my son. He also suggested the police report was so if it ever happened again, the police would take further action and there would be an expulsion.

Nothing happened other than my son had to ride in the front of the bus, at my insistence. The bully didn’t ride the bus for a few days.

A couple days later, my son said all his teachers asked him about the fight, and once he said who he fought with, they all said he (the bully) had started several fights.

So much for zero tolerance. And so much for that bastard principle who suggested my son was at fault.

My son left after one semester, tired of the illegal aliens, the drug dogs in the school and the rest of the chaos. My daughter left at the end of the years, and we have home-schooled them since.

Long post, but I thoroughly despise public schools, public school union hacks like this fat bag, and worthless public school administrators.

91Veteran on May 12, 2011 at 2:13 AM

Bob’s Kid on May 11, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Excuse after excuse. Public school teachers like you are the reason why schools have gotten so pathetic.

You look for any crutch to use as a BS excuse.

Try doing your job and maybe the public would have a different opinion.

…and before you come up with another excuse, my wife has a PhD in Botany, and has taught everything from grade school to college, and NEVER had a problem in the classroom.

91Veteran on May 12, 2011 at 2:25 AM

I imagine the same “hands-off” policy would follow in a medical emergency as well, i.e. let the kid bleed to death.

Damn liberals. Damn them.

drjohn on May 12, 2011 at 8:04 AM

Today’s “violent society” in schools might be violent precisely because schools don’t exercise authority like they did 40 years ago. Contra the notion aired in the second half of the spot, schools have always had big kids that presented disciplinary problems. What they used to have were teachers who took charge, not stand passively by while mayhem ensued. And if the argument is relative compensation as the determining factor, well, perhaps we should go back to what compensation profiles looked like 40 and 50 years ago.

Well written, Ed!!! Discipline disappeared from many schools at the same time as corporal punishment. Is it any wonder that fistfights have been replaced with school shootings as authority figures shrink from their duty to enforce discipline?

Ed, you are

mizzoujgrad on May 12, 2011 at 8:09 AM

RedNewEnglander on May 11, 2011 at 1:52 PM

You seem to caught up in the rules as set forth by the unions and PHD’s in the school district admin. Ever thought about what would be the right thing to do, morally/socially/ethically???

Gohawgs on May 12, 2011 at 8:10 AM

What the fed govt intervention has done in our schools, they are also trying to do in our society. They separate us into groups by adding a hyphen and assigning victim status and then pit those groups one against another. They demogogue the rich now since they want the victims to vote for them and take more money from the rich to pay for goodies. See how socialism works.

Kissmygrits on May 12, 2011 at 9:03 AM

The problem isn’t necessarily schools or unions. It’s society as a whole. The problem always belongs to someone else. We don’t get involved. TV, media and such help that out. We distance ourselves from the pain of others. I know this is true because I’m a coward myself. I have to push myself to intervene on the behalf of others. We are a generation of narcissists.

God help us.

shick on May 13, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Any wonder why private schools and homeschooling are so popular now?

shick on May 13, 2011 at 2:08 PM