Are you ready for the big Romney health-care speech?

posted at 4:15 pm on May 10, 2011 by Allahpundit

On Thursday, the healing begins.

Mitt Romney won’t be apologizing for Romneycare in his health care speech Thursday. But he will be addressing it, according to a Romney aide.

“He’ll address it, but the main focus of the speech will be what his plans will be going forward,” the aide tells National Review Online…

“What will be clear is that number one, he’s got the same position as every other 2012er when it comes to the repeal of Obamacare,” the aide says. “Secondly, he’ll be the first of those candidates to lay out his plan for replacing Obamacare with reforms that will lower costs, and put the states back in the driver’s seat.”

In other words, he’ll formally acknowledge the elephant in the room so that it doesn’t look like he’s hiding from it and then he’ll try to take it down by firing at it with a double-barrel. Barrel one is the federalism argument, seeking to excuse Massachusetts’ increasingly disastrous experiment on grounds that the states, unlike the feds, need a wide berth in tinkering with policy. (Nikki Haley, whom Romney backed during the South Carolina gubernatorial primary, is trying to help him out with that.) And barrel two is his own proposal for a national health-care program to replace Obama’s, the broad outlines of which you can review here. Federalism, again, figures prominently. Chris Cillizza wonders if this will be his equivalent of Obama’s race speech during the 2008 campaign, in which The One defused a political time bomb by addressing a touchy subject directly. Answer: Why … no, of course not. The race speech was simply O signalling to the media that he’d now “dealt with” the issue of Rev. Wright and it was time for the news cycle to officially MoveOn. Everyone on the left who wasn’t a Hillary supporter was happy to oblige him and Hillary herself didn’t want to dwell on it lest she face even more accusations of playing racial politics, and so (notwithstanding Wright’s surreal performance at the National Press Club shortly thereafter) the issue faded. Not so with Romney on the right; he’s going to be clubbed over the head on health care for the duration of the primaries, with Thursday’s speech sure to provide plenty of new material to club him with. Pawlenty’s already been working to set up a contrast with him by apologizing for his own prior support for cap and trade. Anyone think this speech, lacking any mea culpa, will blunt the force of those coming attacks?

The speech would help him solve his problem if his problem was fundamentally about health-care policy. It isn’t. His problem, especially among the base, is that people don’t trust his judgment more broadly, from RomneyCare to his reversal on abortion to his support for TARP and so forth. Realistically, is there anything he could say on Thursday to undo that skepticism among conservatives? Even if he turned around and issued a groveling apology for RomneyCare, it wouldn’t help. All it would do is signal that (a) even he recognizes that his judgment is poor and (b) he doesn’t have enough spine to defend a a dubious decision when it’s under withering attack. By not apologizing, at least he doesn’t have to worry about that second part. But even if the speech does buy him some goodwill, Romney has the same problem with RomneyCare that Obama has with the economy: There’s always a chance that it’ll deteriorate at some point over the next 18 months and throw his campaign into a tailspin. This item yesterday about growing wait times to see a doctor in Massachusetts was widely linked in the blogosphere; imagine something like that dropping a week before the New Hampshire primary or even in October of next year if Romney’s the nominee and working 24/7 to boost grassroots turnout on election day. There’s simply no escaping this issue, even if Thursday’s speech is a home run. And even a home run will start to look like a single if RomneyCare continues to encounter problems, which seems likely. There’s no way out.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Sarah needed not to engage that crap from day one. She should’ve taken the high road instead of getting down in the gutter with them.

sheryl on May 10, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Ridiculous.

Bush did that in his second term, and let the agenda of the media run away from his ability to get his own message to the people.

McCain’s people did the same thing early in the campaign, and it was not effective in anything but helping the other side.

If you cede the battlefield to the enemy, there is no way to win.

She learned this the hard way, and has been determined to straighten out the lies when necessary ever since.

The media will take over your PR operation and do your messaging for you, if you let them.

Brian1972 on May 10, 2011 at 8:14 PM

The high road? Didn’t work out so well for GWB as evidenced by his approval ratings at the end of his term. If Mitt wins the nomination, the average voter is going to be able to write a Doctoral dissertation on anti-Mormon literature by the time the election day rolls around. We’ll see if he takes the “high road” and how well that plays out.

Kataklysmic on May 10, 2011 at 8:09 PM

lol….I was wondering when the Mormon meme was going to show up….boy you HA/Palin Purity Police People do not dissappoint. Remember to disguise your religious intolerence as flip flopping this time around either.

sheryl on May 10, 2011 at 8:15 PM

So what I’ve learned from HA today:

Paul Ryan isn’t a conservative.
Herman Cain and Jim DeMint voted for a socialist, Marxist when they voted for Mitt in 2008.
Sarah Palin is a goddess conservative Joan of Arc and is the only one who can save America.

sheryl on May 10, 2011 at 8:08 PM

You know I’ve changed my mind. Mitt Romney looks more like Don Draper from Mad Men or Don Draper’s “non-drinking, non- smoking, faithful to his wife” older brother.

And if you’ve never had a man speak French to you, don’t knock it until then….it’s is very sexy….and I don’t really care if that makes me a RINO to HA.

sheryl on May 10, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Put away the MittBeat Magazine centerfold and crossword puzzle. You are making a fool of your self.

Brian1972 on May 10, 2011 at 8:16 PM

sheryl on May 10, 2011 at 8:15 PM

That was making the point that the lib media, whom you would like to surrender to, is going to hammer Romney with all sorts of distortions about Mormonism.

You think they won’t?

They are just waiting until the time is right.

With Palin, they have already tried everything under the sun and nothing has knocked her out yet.

Mitt has yet to taste the sting of this battle, believe me.

Brian1972 on May 10, 2011 at 8:19 PM

sheryl on May 10, 2011 at 8:12 PM

It makes you a bimbo, not a RINO. Making decisions based on how dreamy your candidate is makes you pretty shallow. I guess it’s the hair that does it.

sharrukin on May 10, 2011 at 8:19 PM

sheryl on May 10, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Yeah, well the Ass-U-mption police seldom disappoint either. I am a Mormon, genius. And I may not be able to make every rino-ess swoon with the sound of my Mandarin Chinese, but I do know what issues are going to be used and abused by the MSM in a general election.

Kataklysmic on May 10, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Kataklysmic on May 10, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Dang, that’ll leave a mark. :)

Brian1972 on May 10, 2011 at 8:24 PM

og god you and mit tneed to get a room somewhere. I’ve worked with alot of the several Havard grads. For the vast majority of them . they were blowhards that could tell their as* from a hole in the ground. they always thought they knew the answer even when they ideas were proven failure. They thought they were the brightest bulb in the bunch and they would always make condesensing remarks about those they thought were inferior to their greatness.

In other words they were close minded egotistic aholes that could find their way out of an acre wood with a compass and a gps.

unseen on May 10, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Go back to social climbing. You might miss a rung. Hopefully,someday, you’ll learn the difference between glitter and gold.

katy the mean old lady on May 10, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Her fiscal record is outstanding.

unseen on May 10, 2011 at 6:58 PM

This paid political blog spam was brought to you by C4P, where our blog spammers are too enthusiastic in relation to the accomplishments of our namesake thus hard to take seriously.

rickyricardo on May 10, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Mitt has yet to taste the sting of this battle, believe me.

Mitt has an opportunity to win independents and thus the election; Palin will be burnt toast with indies.

If she runs, she’s already lost – her blind followers don’t know it yet.

rickyricardo on May 10, 2011 at 9:02 PM

If she runs, she’s already lost – her blind followers don’t know it yet.

rickyricardo on May 10, 2011 at 9:02 PM

If she loses, then you have nothing to worry about Ricky.

We’ll get the candyass RINO who inspires no one and ride his cape to defeat.

BTW… I don’t agree with your assumptions/conclusions.

powerpro on May 10, 2011 at 9:08 PM

katy the mean old lady on May 10, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Sorry,unseen. meant for sheryl.

katy the mean old lady on May 10, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Oh and PS…Ricky… please spare us the “he can win the indies” crap.

That’s been used too many times and has an abysmal track record, especially when you consider why he thinks he can win indies.

***flashes back to 2007-8: Only McCain can win because he can pick up the indies! He “reaches across the aisle”… etc.

powerpro on May 10, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Mitt Romney’s RomneyCare plan depends heavily on Federal Dollars to subsidize it.

Although I am in Oregon, Mitt Romney robs from me to pay for his “State Experiment” with socialized healthcare.

portlandon on May 10, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Your argument is idiotic.

Do you realize how much our tax dollars go to subsidize people who get free health care under federal laws such as under COBRA and EMTALA? You already subsidize people’s health care plans in your own individual states.

As much as I’d like to eliminate these programs (and other entitlement programs) all together, you and I know that ain’t gonna happen.

Mitt Romney knows that too. He had a very simple idea. Why not take that money and put it to good use by eliminating ability for people to get a free ride off all of us and make them fully or partly responsible for paying their own health care?

Why not take a liberal program that pumps all of our money to giving away free health care and convert into a conservative program by creating giving medical vouchers to those those who can’t afford it so that they can obtain private insurance for use with private sector health care providers, e.g. doctors.

I predict that Mitt Romney will not introduce the individual mandate when he unveils his new health care plan on Thursday.

Conservative Samizdat on May 10, 2011 at 9:37 PM

“He’s sooooo Presidential-looking!”

(swoons)

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 10, 2011 at 9:55 PM

rickyricardo on May 10, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Her fiscal record is outstanding.

unseen on May 10, 2011 at 10:01 PM

sheryl on May 10, 2011 at 8:15 PM

That’s stupid, even for you…

Gohawgs on May 10, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Well to be fair I think Romney’s view on the auto bailouts was one thing I could agree with.

pseudoforce on May 10, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Which one?…

Gohawgs on May 10, 2011 at 10:36 PM

rickyricardo on May 10, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Her fiscal record is outstanding.

unseen on May 10, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Another 55 cents for “unseen” from the coffers of C4P

rickyricardo on May 10, 2011 at 10:37 PM

What makes me think she’s isn’t going to quit again.

sheryl on May 10, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Ditto my earlier reply…

Gohawgs on May 10, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Conservative Samizdat on May 10, 2011 at 9:37 PM

How’d the interview go?…

Gohawgs on May 10, 2011 at 10:57 PM

unseen on May 10, 2011 at 6:07 PM

The powers not delegated to the federal government is reserved to the states or individual. The states can implement heathcare if their constitutions allow for it. Period.

csdeven on May 10, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Your argument is idiotic.

Conservative Samizdat on May 10, 2011 at 9:37 PM

So your argument to defend Romney’s huge federally subsidized socialized medicine “experiment” is:

“Well, we already spend federal funds badly, so whats another huge hole to shove money into. It’s Mitt Romney He is Brilliant.” ?????

Whose argument is idiotic? It sure sounds like yours is. Idiot.

portlandon on May 11, 2011 at 12:04 AM

How’d the interview go?…

Gohawgs on May 10, 2011 at 10:57 PM

I made it to a second round of interviews. If I pass that one, I’m in for the job.

Whose argument is idiotic? It sure sounds like yours is. Idiot.

portlandon on May 11, 2011 at 12:04 AM

The fact that you keep calling it a socialist program reveals how little you know about socialism is. Just because you use that word doesn’t mean you know what it is. It just reveals small minded you are despite your attempt to use big words.

Secondly, RomneyCare, under Mitt Romney’s watch created no financial hole. When Mitt Romney entered into office, Massachusetts was 2 billion in debt. When he left office, the state had a 2 billion surplus. RomneyCare accounted for less than 1% of the state budget. Moreover, the surplus came a few years after RomneyCare was implemented.

If you want to know where the problems of RomneyCare lies, look to Deval Patrick. He made changes to the program that seriously undermined the effectiveness of the program and went against the basic philosophy of Mitt’s plan.

If anybody f***ed up RomneyCare, and also messed up Massachusetts…its Deval Patrick.

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Good to know everyone is approaching Romney’s speech with an open mind.

Adjoran on May 11, 2011 at 12:27 AM

Good to know everyone is approaching Romney’s speech with an open mind.

Adjoran on May 11, 2011 at 12:27 AM

What is he going to reveal that we haven’t known for years?

sharrukin on May 11, 2011 at 12:33 AM

What is he going to reveal that we haven’t known for years?

sharrukin on May 11, 2011 at 12:33 AM

A new health care plan. One that will not include an individual mandate and that includes more market based solutions.

Who knows. Its best to wait and see what he says on Thursday.

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Hey sheryl,

Mitt’s a quitter…

Gohawgs on May 11, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Best of luck with the upcoming job interview…

Gohawgs on May 11, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Best of luck with the upcoming job interview…

Gohawgs on May 11, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Thanks. I just recently passed the bar and I’m a new lawyer now. The firm that is thinking of hiring me is a criminal defense firm.

Given that the job market for attorneys is extremely tight, the fact that I’m getting a second interview is a miracle.

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 12:49 AM

A lawyer??? That’s all we need…If you were here, I might could help you out some. But, since you’re a yankee…

Gohawgs on May 11, 2011 at 1:03 AM

little patience for elitists like yourselves who can’t stand the fact that you can’t control the base of the Republican party like you can like hired help.

What bothers you more, that my vote is equal to your vote, or that you can’t guilt me into voting for Mitt Romney?

portlandon on May 10, 2011 at 5:52 PM

I’m not an elitist? I’m a working class girl. Your vote doesn’t bother me.

I don’t know why it bothers you that I like a smart, nice successful, rich guy. What chip is on your shoulder.

sheryl on May 10, 2011 at 6:08 PM

We’re here to talk politics, not troll for dates. How embarrassing.

Take your teenybopper crap elsewhere.

kim roy on May 11, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Gohawgs on May 11, 2011 at 1:03 AM

LOL.

Being a lawyer is something I’ve always wanted to be. I did Mock Trial in high school and I’ve worked as a coach for the Mock trial team at the High school I teach at. In fact, our team made it to nationals and took 42nd place which isn’t bad considering it was our first time at nationals.

Next year, I plan on taking our team to be in the top 10 at the National Mock Trial competition.

Anyways, I’m looking for jobs in Utah and Washington D.C. If anyone knows of an attorney looking to hire a brand new attorney, let me know.

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Good luck. I mean it. I graduated three years ago, lost my spot at my firm 18 months ago, and have been applying and scrounging for work as a sole practitioner/contract worker ever since. And I was near the top of my class. It is just horrible out there.

alwaysfiredup on May 11, 2011 at 1:31 AM

alwaysfiredup on May 11, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Thanks. I have law school buddies who passed the California bar and have been unable to find a job for about a year and half now.

Where are you licensed to practice?

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 1:37 AM

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 1:37 AM

Missouri and Kansas. You?

alwaysfiredup on May 11, 2011 at 1:38 AM

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 1:26 AM

I know someone influential at this firm…Not criminal defense, at this point…

Gohawgs on May 11, 2011 at 1:39 AM

alwaysfiredup

You’re in the KC area, right?

Gohawgs on May 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM

Missouri and Kansas. You?

alwaysfiredup on May 11, 2011 at 1:38 AM

I’m getting sworn in as an attorney on May 18th here in Utah. Its also the same day as my birthday.

I’m only licensed here in Utah. At some point, I’d like to go back to California and conquer that bar exam once and for all.

I know someone influential at this firm…Not criminal defense, at this point…

Gohawgs on May 11, 2011 at 1:39 AM

Criminal defense is not what I had in mind when I started law school but with the economy as it is now, I can’t be too choosy where to work.

Besides, criminal defense would be interesting and look good on my resume.

But I am intersted in that law firm you linked. I can work in the D.C. area too.

My email address is at JAllebest at hotmail dot com.

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 1:45 AM

Missouri and Kansas. You?

alwaysfiredup on May 11, 2011 at 1:38 AM

I know someone influential at this firm…Not criminal defense, at this point…

Gohawgs on May 11, 2011 at 1:39 AM

Besides, criminal defense would be interesting and look good on my resume.

But I am interested in that law firm you linked. I can work in the D.C. area too.

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 1:47 AM

Damn…i double posted. My bad.

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 1:48 AM

CS,

Attn to detail is a very important aspect of lawyering…/

Gohawgs on May 11, 2011 at 1:52 AM

CS,

Attn to detail is a very important aspect of lawyering…/

Gohawgs on May 11, 2011 at 1:52 AM

I’ll remember that. ;)

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 2:00 AM

I sent you an email, CS…

Gohawgs on May 11, 2011 at 2:04 AM

I sent you an email, CS…

Gohawgs on May 11, 2011 at 2:04 AM

Thanks. Reply is in your inbox.

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 2:12 AM

csdeven on May 10, 2011 at 11:22 PM

I never said Romney couldn’t. There are plenty of things that look like good ideas, and are unconstitutional, but just because the states can do it doesn’t make it a good idea. Nowhere have I said that Romney’s health care scheme was unconstitutional — precisely because it’s not. I have said that Romney’s advocacy of socialized medicine (Sorry, CS…gotta call ‘em like I see ‘em) renders him unsuitable in my eyes for the presidency. His credibility on repealing Obamacare is ZIP.

gryphon202 on May 11, 2011 at 2:14 AM

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Deval Patrick didn’t sign it into law. Mitt did. And when asked to justify his criticisms of Obamacare, he did a piss-poor job. I don’t buy his spin, and he’s not getting my primary vote. Not this time.

gryphon202 on May 11, 2011 at 2:17 AM

Reply is in your inbox.

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 2:12 AM

And, your resume has been forwarded..

Gohawgs on May 11, 2011 at 2:41 AM

And, your resume has been forwarded..

Gohawgs on May 11, 2011 at 2:41 AM

Thank you.

I’m off to bed. Have a good night, everybody.:)

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 2:52 AM

I will vote for Romney if he is the nominee, but I won’t be excited or happy about it. I likely won’t do much to volunteer for his campaign locally and likely won’t give money to his campaign.

He would be the lesser of two evil vote between him and Obama. I think Mitt would be o.k. as president, but not great and not really conservative.

but, aside from that, he is just boring. He offers no reason for his candidacy – he has no set of principals, no vision for the country, no anything. He doesn’t inspire or excite. I don’t hear him or see him or read about him and think – that guy would make a great candidate or great president.

he would be the typcial “it’s your turn” GOP candidate. I doubt very much he would win b/c he would run an anemic campaign, would be afraid to take on Obama, and would not excite his base or independents. His candidacy would depend entirely on people being completely dissatisfied with Obama. Nobody would vote “for” Mitt, only against Obama. I think that is a recipe for loss.

I’m not saying Palin is the answer (or really anyone that seems to be running right now). Unfortuantely, our current field is less than inspiring.

Monkeytoe on May 11, 2011 at 10:00 AM

You’re in the KC area, right?

Gohawgs on May 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM

Yup. Sorry for the delay, my laptop died.

alwaysfiredup on May 11, 2011 at 12:01 PM

You’re in the KC area, right?

Gohawgs on May 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM

Yup. Sorry for the delay, my laptop died last night.

alwaysfiredup on May 11, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Lol and I’m comment-challenged on the replacement!

alwaysfiredup on May 11, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Lol and I’m comment-challenged on the replacement!

alwaysfiredup on May 11, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Attention to detail is a very important aspect of lawyering? ;)

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Conservative Samizdat on May 11, 2011 at 12:05 PM

alwaysfiredup on May 11, 2011 at 12:08 PM

If Romney doesn’t start out saying “I was wrong” he is completely unacceptable as a Republican candidate.

CatoRenasci on May 11, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Yup. Sorry for the delay, my laptop died last night.

alwaysfiredup on May 11, 2011 at 12:02 PM

About the only person I know in the KC area works for the EPA as an engineer. I have another friend — an atty –, now living in NW Ark., that once worked for the EPA’s Dallas office — he may know someone in the KC office…Most everyone else I know in MO lives either in Spgfld or STL…

Gohawgs on May 12, 2011 at 6:03 AM

Romney’s speech consisted of him defending RomneyCare. He’d do it again.

This guys campaign is over before it started.

Boooo!!!!!!