Report: Mitch Daniels wants to run, simply waiting for wife’s okay

posted at 7:18 pm on May 9, 2011 by Allahpundit

What if we ended up in a two-man race between this guy and Romney? Which way would grassroots conservatives break?

If you think those Gallup numbers on Republicans who support a third party are high now, just wait.

Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels wants to run for president and is not in the process of convincing himself to do it, a close adviser said. The last hurdle remaining is ongoing discussions between him and his wife, Cheri Daniels, over whether she is ready to face questions about their past.

“I think he would like to do it,” the Daniels adviser told The Huffington Post by phone. “I actually think he’d have a decent chance of getting the nomination.”

The insight from a source close to the governor contradicts many of the reports that have focused on whether Daniels will run or not. Daniels has been portrayed — and has in some ways portrayed himself — as a reluctant potential candidate, someone who had hoped the GOP would find someone else to be their standard-bearer but is unimpressed with the candidates who have so far declared their intent to run.

The confirmation that the Daniels’ marriage is the last hurdle in front of a bid for the White House highlights the delicate situation in which the Governor finds himself.

I hope he runs just because I’m really curious to see if he’s able to build any support among base voters. In theory it’s a perfect match between man and moment, the fiscal specialist emerging to tackle the debt crisis. But he already has a bunch of strikes against him: The truce talk on social issues, the taint of “elite” support, a rhetorical style that eschews partisan red meat, and an awful lot of liberal verbiage in the media about how superior he is to tea partiers, which naturally makes grassroots righties suspicious. Via Freedom’s Lighthouse, here’s 10 minutes from Rush Limbaugh’s show today wondering why the dreaded MSM would be tossing so many bouquets at a “boring and moderate” candidate like Daniels. That’s not fatal to Mitch the Knife — if talk radio decided primaries, we would never have ended up with McCain as nominee — but he probably needs a crowded field with votes split several different ways in order to win. If he ends up head to head against virtually anyone else in the race, the base will likely line up behind his opponent. Exit question: What if it boils down to Daniels versus Huckabee?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Of all the potential GOP candidates, there are just three that make me seriously consider leaving the GOP for good if their nomination came to pass:

1. Huckabee
2. Daniels
3. Huntsman

I could live with a Bolton candidacy. Survive a Romney nomination. Even be semi OK with Pawlenty.

But those other three? HELLS to the NO.

Norwegian on May 10, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Daniels. No Romneycare albatross.

Kataklysmic on May 9, 2011 at 7:21 PM

The Healthy Indiana Plan, signed by Mitch, is really not so great…

steebo77 on May 10, 2011 at 1:09 AM

His record in Indian speaks for itself.

JetBoy on May 9, 2011 at 7:39 PM

But not in the way you wish it did.

Prepare to eat a hat, JetBoy.

steebo77 on May 10, 2011 at 1:11 AM

The Healthy Indiana Plan, signed by Mitch, is really not so great…

steebo77 on May 10, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Right. I read your posts on the school choice thing in another thread as well. Don’t get me wrong: Mitch is at the bottom of my list. He just happens to be avove Huck and Mitt.

Kataklysmic on May 10, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Kataklysmic on May 10, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Ditto.

steebo77 on May 10, 2011 at 1:17 AM

My country is in serious trouble and desperately needs my leadership to save it . . . oh, but wait, I have to check with my wife first.

Gimme a break.

rplat on May 10, 2011 at 4:59 AM

Remember how decent Republican First Ladies who didn’t really get out front were treated? Pat Nixon, Laura Bush, even Mamie Eisenhower got a load. And Rosalyn Carter, Hillary Clinton, and Michelle Obama got their share, too. Nancy Reagan put herself out there, although she never deserved the kind of vitriol she received. Betty Ford and Barbara Bush escaped most of the nastiness, but they were the exceptions. So I don’t blame a guy for giving his wife the choice as to whether she wants to undergo that sort of treatment.

For me, from what I know right now, if it’s Daniels vs. Romney, Huck, or Newt, I’ll take Daniels. I’d reserve judgment on T-Paw for now.

But my gut tells me if we can put up a dull, boring guy with a resume with results, we will win. If the election is about the economy and competence and budgeting, we win. If it is about the Republican nominee, we can easily lose.

Right now, “Dull – but Effective!” sounds like a good slogan.

Adjoran on May 10, 2011 at 6:03 AM

Adjoran on May 10, 2011 at 6:03 AM

Somebody gets it! If we turn this election in to a popularity or beauty contest we lose. If we present a credible, acceptable alternative to PBHO and keep the election about how he has failed us, we win. We don’t need a “fighter” who will distract the nation for a month arguing about he/she used some phrase like, “blood libel” in a novel (inappropriate) way, or “death panel.” We need someone who will keep the debate about PBHO’s record.

MJBrutus on May 10, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Right now, “Dull – but Effective!” sounds like a good slogan.

Adjoran on May 10, 2011 at 6:03 AM

point taken but sure would like someone who has a little hummph in his demeanor that would perk up voters…can merge him with cain?

cmsinaz on May 10, 2011 at 7:34 AM

Romneycare=DumbØcare

Daniels is no fiscal conservative.
It has frequently been said about Mitch Daniels that he “turned deficits into surpluses” as governor. The only problem with this claim is that it’s not true. According to the CNBC/Forbes.com, which annually ranks states according to business climate, Indiana has a $1.4-billion budget deficit as of FY2011.
That same CNBC/Forbes.com list ranked Indiana as barely 21st out of 50 states trailing Democrat-run states such as Massachusetts and Washington. Indiana is 42nd in terms of the quality of its workforce, 44th in quality of life, 26th in access to capital, and 22nd in technology and innovation.
This is how badly Indiana ranked in late 2010, more than five years after Daniels was sworn in as governor. A state that ranks 44th in terms of quality of life? No, thanks.
When Daniels was director of the OMB, he performed equally miserably: he turned budget surpluses (America’s first since FY1969) into deficits. He also oversaw the enactment and funding of the No Child Left Behind Act, the prescription drug entitlement, and increases of funding for the ED and the DOT, as well as the reinstatement of farm subsidies (which were largely abolished in 1996 under the Freedom to Farm Act) and the creation of ethanol subsidies (later increased by his successors). Daniels’ response to the OMB’s critics was that a balanced budget “is not the highest priority.” The deficit continued to grow during Daniels’ entire tenure, and it peaked in FY2004 at $400 billion under the last budget devised by Daniels. It was later reduced to $162 billion in FY2007 by his successors.
He also believes in anthropogenic global warming and that humanity needs to act urgently to stop it. Daniels also supports a tax on imported oil, which would only hike gasoline prices.
Mitch Daniels is not a conservative; he’s a liberal. He would be a bad nominee and an even worse president. Nominating him would be a betrayal of every conservative principle the GOP used to stand for.

Jayrae on May 9, 2011 at 10:32 PM

…The post that was completely ignored.

Dongemaharu on May 10, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Jayrae on May 9, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Excellent post!

kingsjester on May 10, 2011 at 8:00 AM

Adjoran on May 10, 2011 at 6:03 AM

Your gut is wrong. Very wrong.

pseudoforce on May 10, 2011 at 8:09 AM

^ If people are so in love with dull and boring with resumes, why can’t Daniels and Pawlenty get out of the single digits among Republicans, even?

pseudoforce on May 10, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Prepare to eat a hat, JetBoy.

steebo77 on May 10, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Like I’m ever making that bet again…

JetBoy on May 10, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Gimme a break.

rplat on May 10, 2011 at 4:59 AM

thread winner shut her down its over..

unseen on May 10, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Gimme a break.

rplat on May 10, 2011 at 4:59 AM

thread winner shut her down its over..

unseen on May 10, 2011 at 8:24 AM

And if Sarah Palin said that, unseen would be claiming that she’s just looking out for her family.

JetBoy on May 10, 2011 at 8:26 AM

JetBoy on May 10, 2011 at 8:26 AM

And what would you be saying if she said that? Like you’re the very model of consistency.

pseudoforce on May 10, 2011 at 8:30 AM

I hope Daniels runs..Let’s see him on the political stump and in debates..The more the merrier!..:)

Dire Straits on May 10, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Right now, “Dull – but Effective!” sounds like a good slogan.

Adjoran on May 10, 2011 at 6:03 AM

Are you serious? boring gets you no money, no GOTV, no volunteers at phone banks, no TV coverage to get your message out, no inspirational speeches to rally the troops. Boring gets you one big ZERO in the win colume. You do not fight Obama’s charisma by offering boring, stale, whitebread. Nobody works their butt off for boring, no one undertakes weeks/months of grueling work for boring. No one cares about boring.

If the gop establishment’s idea to win the election is to sit down shut up and hope the voters vote against Obama because he played 67 rounds of golf, or because gas is $4.00/gal they will lose. Because Obama will not be sitting down and shutting up. He will be using his charaism on the campaign trail to explain how the GOp congress stopped his hope and change, how the evil oil speculators made gas so expensive, how he killed OBL, how he gave everyone healthcare etc etc.

And what would Mr. boring’s answer be? “While I’m not as bad as Obama” Vote for me to return to the Bush policies?

Yeah boring gets you a loss. A big loss as Obama’s $ billion dollars drowns you out, suffocates your talking points, attacks your record and all around destorys your campiagn. Boring does not win elections. Ask Al Gore and John Kerry how that boring theme works. Ask Dole and McCain how that boring strategy works. Ask Anderson and bush the 1st how boring wins you election after election.

Sometimes I wonder how stupid our “thought leaders” are and then something like “we need boring candidates” come along and I have my answer.

unseen on May 10, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Maybe it’s just me but this guy is as exciting to watch as molasses going uphill.(Yeah, I’m a Southerner alright). The left wants to run against him for obvious reasons. They say that about Palin too(no, I’m not trying to hijack thread)but for a different reason. She’s a victim of the Alinskyite process of ridiculing the enemy. They know she’d kill Obamalinsky in a debate and truly fear her. The Dhimmis know she’d come to Washington with a fire hose and like at the Zoo with the Llama cages, she’d hose out a lot of the corruption. Currently reading David Horowitz’ 2006 book “The Shadow Party” and see that the Clintons ran the White House along with the mob and union cooperation and cash. Hillary controls a lot of that corruption, with Soros’ approval. Sarah not being a Washington insider, has the corrupt Republicans(cue John McCain)in her sights as well. It seems lately that people on these posts have cooled on her as she’s taking a low profile lately. Big Mistake. Palin and Bachmann are the only candidates willing to tell the Dem/Commies that CHANGE is the only way this country survives economically. THEIR version of change. These are interesting times. The very soul of a Constitutional United States is on the line. Soros is looking for the big trophy. Just ask England,Indonesia,Russia,France and Switzerland…..

adamsmith on May 10, 2011 at 8:38 AM

JetBoy on May 10, 2011 at 8:26 AM

I highly doubt that.

unseen on May 10, 2011 at 8:43 AM

sorry you liberal republicans made your bed. You further went all in when you did not rise to defend Palin and the Tea party from the blood libel. I will go so far as to say the GOp party is broken and I don’t see the king’s men being able to put it back together. you all declared total war on Gov Palin. You all refused to support and vote for the GOp nominee in DE, you all maligned and caused both angle and Miller to lose close races that could have been won. you all have attacked and smeared conservatives since before Reagan. we allowed it. We tried it your way and you all threw it back in our faces when it was your turn to be team players. You all showed your true colors and I will never forget. If your liberal candidates want the conservatives behind you it will take a great deal to get the base back on your side.

unseen on May 10, 2011 at 12:34 AM

This says it all for me, too ….. if the GOP establishment schemes to get this guy at the top of the ticket, I’m done. I’ll do nothing to help, donate no money, and just fill out an absentee ballot (I have enough principles to just not vote) ……. but that won’t do any good anyway, because Obozo will sweep New Jersey anyway, so I won’t waste precious time and expensive gas going directly to the polls.

Jerome Horwitz on May 10, 2011 at 8:44 AM

adamsmith on May 10, 2011 at 8:38 AM

And the asnwer of the Gop establishment to the very soul of the USA to be at stake is “we need a boring guy”
amazing isn’t it.

unseen on May 10, 2011 at 8:52 AM

This is why boring will lose by double digits:

Despite the pain at the pump, Obama’s energy dis-information campaign has been quite successful, with a new poll showing that only 9% of Americans believe that Obama is responsible for rising gas prices.

Got that? Only 9% of the public thinks Obama is the caus eof high gas prices. Boring means that Obama is never called to account, boring means the MSM will continue to give Obama a pass, boring means that Obama can continue to lie and spin however he wants and the American people will never see, nor hear the gop’s answer to Obama’s tall tales.

those that want boring are telling you they don’t think they can beat Obama and the only answer is to slide in under the radar. those that want boring have already in their minds made Obama unbeatable.

unseen on May 10, 2011 at 9:01 AM

I highly doubt that.

unseen on May 10, 2011 at 8:43 AM

I don’t doubt it for one second.

JetBoy on May 10, 2011 at 9:01 AM

I prefer not to have a leader who has to ask his wife permission…I would assume a real leader will have the support of his family before he even entertains the thought.

“Babe, I am thinking about being the most powerful man in the world, would that be all right with you?”

right2bright on May 10, 2011 at 9:10 AM

I don’t doubt it for one second.

JetBoy on May 10, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Then you have no idea what you are talking about. first of all unlike Mitch Gov Palin has never said only she can save the country. In fact Gov Palin has stated repeatly she is hoping to see someone enter the stage that she can support but if no one does she will most likely enter. She has never stated Todd has veto power over the decision Or that Todd rules/makes her decisions. she has stated she would take her family’s wishes into consideration but she was never politcally stupid enough to state Todd had veto power over her. The MSM would have a field day with that comment if she was politcally stupid enough to make it.

Two for me personally I have stated repeatly if Gov Palin doesn’t run most of her power to enact change will be lost, that her politcal power will be hurt. And my support most likely would be gone.

So if Gov Palin decides not to run becaus eTodd said no. I highly doubt I would be on here defending that decision. Most likely I would be on here attacking that decision.

unseen on May 10, 2011 at 9:18 AM

All candidates do this, but it is really stupid to make it public.

unseen on May 10, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Is this how the Palinistas are going to spin her giant loss to Obama if she wins the nomination? Whine whine whine. None of the people you mentioned were able to get enough Independents or conservative Democrats to not lose, but its liberal Republicans fault?

Speedwagon82 on May 10, 2011 at 9:21 AM

This is why we don’t want boring. boring tends to work with the dems when they are state elected officals becaus e they don’t like to fight:

Republican presidential hopefuls pointing the finger at President Barack Obama over rising gas prices could ultimately stumble in a political tar pit themselves: their own records of hiking gas costs back home.

When it comes to the current and former governors angling for a shot at Obama, adding fuel to the Obama gas attacks risks reopening the books on the decisions they made as state executives. Mitt Romney, Tim Pawlenty, Mike Huckabee, Jon Huntsman and Mitch Daniels all either increased state gas fees or voiced support for raising state gas taxes, providing Democrats, and possibly their GOP primary opponents, an easy retort when the politics of oil get hotter: You deserve blame, too.

It will be the McCain campaign all over again. The RINO attacks Obama, Obama’s answer would be well you did it too. Game set matach. It is why rino’s like Daniels and mitt need not apply and why being boring is not an asset its a negative.

unseen on May 10, 2011 at 9:22 AM

He and his wife, Cheri, divorced in 1994, and she moved away and married someone else. Daniels soldiered on, raising his four daughters, who at the time ranged in age from 8 to 14.

Actually, this makes me like the guy. His wife, meh. But she will not be the Prez. I ain’t too crazy about the current FL either.

humdinger on May 10, 2011 at 9:26 AM

but its liberal Republicans fault?

Speedwagon82 on May 10, 2011 at 9:21 AM

18% of the gop voted for Coons over COD, 11% of the gop voted for Reid over angle. You figure it out on who’s fault it is we have conns and Reid.

unseen on May 10, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Yeah about that gas price thing…don’t look for Daniels to lower your gas prices either; nor your taxes:

While Daniels is often credited with having sterling fiscal credentials for his stewardship of Indiana, he may come to regret suggesting last year that he’d back a tariff on imported oil.

Daniels, who made the suggestion in conjunction with floating support for a Value Added Tax, took a beating from the right for that position.

“Absent some explanation, such as large quantities of crystal meth, this is disqualifying. This is beyond the pale,” Americans for Tax Reform President Grover Norquist told POLITICO at the time.

A Daniels spokesman did not respond to a request for comment.

unseen on May 10, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Come on Allah,

When a pol steps down and says, “he wants to spend more time with his family,” do you believe him? Daniels has his reasons for not announcing just yet if he is in or out and doesn’t want to broadcast them.

MJBrutus on May 10, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I was listening to Hugh Hewitt last night who had a guest on from Indiana who said that Daniels will NOT run because his wife has repeatedly said she does NOT want to go through the work. How you gonna be President if you don’t have a willing First Lady? When I heard that I breathed a sigh of relief. Plus he said that his a policy wonk and NOT an attractive man on TV. He said he may make it through the primaries but he is NOT attractive or dynamic enough to win a General Election. That being said, let me point out that the folks pushing for Daniels are the type who like looks and flash over substance. So Goidelic luck getting principled people to follow the haphazard beliefs of people who get their views from polling data to jump on board a guy they’ll ultimately treat like teh Fred! and dislike in the end because THE HOLY GRAIL OF INDEPENDENTS won’t like him.

As a side note, this dude also said The Huckster ain’t running. Others who work for Fox who may have an interest in running have already changed up their contracts. The Huckster has gone under the radar and has done no such thing. He said that reports of his run are merely those WHO WANT him to run trying to force him into feeling pulled or compelled to run by the demand. Believe me, there isn’t enough demand for him to run.

Sultry Beauty on May 10, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Goidelic=good my iPhone does the strangest things when auto correcting… *sigh*

Sultry Beauty on May 10, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Good gravy! We don’t need a mealy mouth establishment republican as our candidate! We need a bold speaking Tea Partier that is unapologetic about being a conservative!

csdeven on May 10, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I think I’d probably break wind. Preferably upwind of both of them.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on May 10, 2011 at 11:28 AM

It’s OK if he chooses to not run. We have more than our share of McCain-like monumental GOP disappointments in the wings this year. His absence will be unremarkable.

SKYFOX on May 10, 2011 at 11:36 AM

If it winds up Daniels v Huck for the nomination? I’d vote Daniels. Then go third party or not pull the lever if Huck won the nom. Rush is correct that the GOP elite like this guy, which makes him completely untrustworthy. But, even with that going against him, he’d still be better than Huck. Huckabee if nominated would be a true setback for the GOP and conservatism. If elected he would be a disaster, but I’d still bet Huck with his skeletons and hypocrisies and his dissembling would get destroyed during a general campaign and lose. Why trade an untrustworthy, narcissistic, messianic, boob from Harvard for the same guy, but from the barnyard instead of Harvard yard? Don’t think it will happen.

JimP on May 10, 2011 at 11:44 AM

There’s stuff in the marriage history, which is why Cheri is so reluctant to enter. Who wants to relive all the junk?

She left him and the 4 daughters and married someone else. They broke up. She came back and remarried Mitch.

Can’t say as I blame her.

stenwin77 on May 10, 2011 at 3:16 PM

I’ll take Mike Huckabee for the win!

texasconserv on May 9, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Mike Huckabee for $500… the answer is:

“the gov. let me out of jail cause I “found Jesus” and then I went on to murder 4 police officers in cold blood”

“Who is, GOV. MIKE HUCKABEE”

ding, ding ding that is corrrrect !

stenwin77 on May 10, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Daniels is a milquetoast who will get pummeled in a debate with any decent conservative.
I’m saving this one…forgive me when I shove that statement back at ya after the first real debate.

JetBoy on May 9, 2011 at 8:42 PM

JB, I believe your fingers have mis-typed the web address several times over the past few years. i believe you want: http://www.democraticunderground.com

stenwin77 on May 10, 2011 at 3:24 PM