Gallup: For first time, majority of Republicans support third party

posted at 5:09 pm on May 9, 2011 by Allahpundit

Imagine what the numbers will be after the inevitable GOP cave on the debt ceiling.

This is the first time Gallup finds a significantly higher percentage of Republicans than Democrats in favor of a third party. During much of President Bush’s term, the opposite was true, with Democrats more likely to favor the formation of a third party. That gap narrowed in 2007, after the Democrats’ victories in the 2006 midterms, and there has been a minimal difference between the two parties until the current poll.

The increase in Republican support for a third party since 2008 could be an outgrowth of the Tea Party movement, which is closely aligned with the GOP. The poll, which also assessed Americans’ orientation toward the movement, finds 60% of those who identify themselves as Tea Party supporters in favor of a third party, compared with 44% of Tea Party opponents. The opinions of those who say they are neither supporters nor opponents fall in between those of the two groups.

The partisan trend lines are dramatic, especially the GOP’s, but curiously — and despite heavy tea party support for a third party — there’s no corresponding split in ideology. Liberals, moderates, and conservatives are all at either 51 or 52 percent, and support for a third party has declined among all three groups since last year. What gives?

My assumption is that partisan support for a third party should spike when a party is out of power and has nothing to lose by splitting (or flirting with splitting) over ideology. That’s what you’re seeing, I think, in the Democratic trend line from 2003 to 2006: Anti-war liberals were frustrated that their leadership hadn’t done more to check Bush and to convince the public that progressivism is the truth, the light, and the way, so they fantasized about going rogue. Once Democrats took back Congress, they put that aside and focused on influencing the new congressional majority. And indeed, you see a dip from 2006 to 2008, when Pelosi took over and everyone rallied behind their party’s nominee in a presidential election year. Conversely, partisan support for a third party should crater when a party is in power and looking to hold together to preserve its legislative majority — or so I would have guessed. But neither the Democratic nor the Republican trend line follows that prediction. From 2008 to 2010, despite total control of government, Democrats’ support for a third party rose seven points. Republican support for a third party also rose by seven points when they had total control of government from 2003 to 2006; my hunch is that’s because conservatives rallied around Bush after 9/11 and the invasion of Iraq, which artificially depressed third-party support at the beginning of the decade. But check out the numbers from 2010 to 2011, after the great tea party tidal wave: An increase of five points, notwithstanding the fact that Boehner and company now have de facto veto power over the Democratic agenda.

The takeaway here, I assume, is that neither party’s base trusts its leadership much anymore. Republicans are probably irritated at the slow pace of spending cuts after the big GOP victory, especially after Boehner had to come down from his $100 billion pledge in reaching a deal with Obama and Reid. Democrats, meanwhile, were disappointed in Obama’s first two years in office, maybe because of the economy’s sluggishness (the stimulus wasn’t big enough!), maybe because he’s basically been Bush 44 on most counterterrorism matters, or maybe because ObamaCare isn’t quite the single-payer socialist system (yet) that they’ve dreamed about. Granted, their support for a third party cratered after the GOP’s victory in November, but I take it that’s less because of newfound satisfaction with O than from abject terror that the country’s turned against their agenda and therefore they can’t afford to dilute their strength at a precarious moment. And yet, and yet, I can’t reconcile any of that with the stasis in the numbers by ideology. Shouldn’t conservative support for a third party be leaping from disappointment with the House on budgetary matters? In fact, it’s actually dropped slightly since last year. Any theories?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Its a general contempt for the beltway and the belief that top Republicans are content that the base is labeled as racists, evil and bitter clingers.

rob verdi on May 9, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Uh huh. Until the prospect of splitting the right-wing vote and letting Obama win reelection strikes home. Then you’ll see the numbers change dramatically.

And as we know, they were split in 2008 and couldn’t win. Or not.

Just more temporary polling noise. Like Gallup’s poll that has Obama’s approval at 51% and disapproval 10 points lower. These numbers will change.

amerpundit on May 9, 2011 at 5:12 PM

by the, way, just take the party over by primaries rather then splinter, it makes more sense.

rob verdi on May 9, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Or if the nominee is Mitch Daniels thanks to open primaries.

Goodbye GOP

Norwegian on May 9, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I can see Palins evil smile from my house…

the_nile on May 9, 2011 at 5:16 PM

As Rush was saying to, it’s time for Reagan Conservatism. The American people are eager to embrace it once again. And the GOP Elite are just as eager to sweep it into the dustbin of history…and that ain’t happenin’.

kingsjester on May 9, 2011 at 5:16 PM

United we stand, divided we fall.

JetBoy on May 9, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Shouldn’t a third party be discussed after the primaries, after a selection is made…what happens if the third party ends up winning the Republican primary…third party once removed?
We don’t even know who is running, and I don’t see any “third” party candidates worth voting for, except for John Kerry…

right2bright on May 9, 2011 at 5:19 PM

better hurry and get your fit together repubs… barry is counting on you to do the wrong thing.

RalphyBoy on May 9, 2011 at 5:20 PM

“Any theories?”

Fond memories of Ross Perot…?

Seven Percent Solution on May 9, 2011 at 5:20 PM

I have a funny feeling that the dems have picked Daniels as the republican nominee.

creek on May 9, 2011 at 5:21 PM

And as we know, they were split in 2008 and couldn’t win. Or not.

They weren’t split about a third party, though, just over two potential party nominees.

Allahpundit on May 9, 2011 at 5:21 PM

United we stand, divided we fall.

JetBoy on May 9, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Except when its time to support a conservative candidate and then they run a John Anderson.

sharrukin on May 9, 2011 at 5:22 PM

I can see Palins evil smile from my house…

the_nile on May 9, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Me too….

idesign on May 9, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I can see Palins evil smile from my house…

the_nile on May 9, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Me too….

idesign on May 9, 2011 at 5:23 PM

You guys think she is going to run third party?

sharrukin on May 9, 2011 at 5:25 PM

I would favor a third only if there was a fourth…

mjbrooks3 on May 9, 2011 at 5:26 PM

My thought is that this shows dissatisfaction with the “establishment GOP” who tend to foist candidates on the rest of us without regard to what the people feel about them.

In other words, if the GOP blows it this time then there could be a new party in place by 2016.

teke184 on May 9, 2011 at 5:26 PM

sharrukin on May 9, 2011 at 5:22 PM

I have a John Anderson for President button. Hey, when I was in college they promised us a nice meal at a fancy fundraiser if we pretended to be college students for John Anderson…

Fallon on May 9, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Allahpundit on May 9, 2011 at 5:21 PM

I was sarcastically saying that the “during much of Bush’s term” split carried over to the 2008 election. Except it didn’t. When it came time to take back the White House, they were able to hacktastically unite. Even despite the “Clinton’s voters will stay home!1!” hoopla.

My point being that polls over split parties change rather quickly when it comes down to the wire. When people see the other main option, they retreat to safe ground and try again for perfection next time.

amerpundit on May 9, 2011 at 5:27 PM

kingsjester on May 9, 2011 at 5:16 PM
///
Great show wasn’t it! When the media loves you,run the other way fast!

ohiobabe on May 9, 2011 at 5:28 PM

O.k……. So four more years of Obama, swell. :(

ThePrez on May 9, 2011 at 5:29 PM

United we stand, divided we fall.

JetBoy on May 9, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Heh! JetBoy, the great uniter!

I will save this for the next time you’re on the attack.

chief on May 9, 2011 at 5:29 PM

O.k……. So four more years of Obama, swell. :(

ThePrez on May 9, 2011 at 5:29 PM

And I say this because I`ll bet we get Romney and the base doesn`t come out for him.

ThePrez on May 9, 2011 at 5:30 PM

You guys think she is going to run third party?

sharrukin on May 9, 2011 at 5:25 PM

No , or will she, GOP establishment shouldn’t be so sure.

the_nile on May 9, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Eh, most people will vote for whoever the GOP throws up there. They could run Obama as an R and people would still vote party line for him.

Not gonna get my vote again GOP, to paraphrase “I hope you fail!”

MadDogF on May 9, 2011 at 5:32 PM

ThePrez on May 9, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Well, it’s his turn.

Fallon on May 9, 2011 at 5:32 PM

This is all about dems desperately searching for a narrative against the Republicans. It can’t be the failing economy or 3 wars or Obamacare. People can get by on Osama dead euphoria for so long til they are bored. Gotta have a narrative to distract from obamas failures and the birther distraction is over.

txmomof6 on May 9, 2011 at 5:32 PM

O.k……. So four more years of Obama, swell. :(

ThePrez on May 9, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Well, if you’re gonna kill me, do it quickly!

MadDogF on May 9, 2011 at 5:32 PM

minimal difference between the two parties

This.

Like many have stated in better terms than I, the dhimmicRATs will take us to socialism quickly; the current GOP leadership will take us there slowly.

I will not vote for another McCain.

(Yes, the quote is out of (AP’s) context, but it is none-the-less true.)

davidk on May 9, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Well when Newt or T-Paw wins the nomination, then Ron Paul can run 3rd party and give both neocons (Newt-Paw & Obama) a run for their money. Yes, that’s right, Obama is a neocon.

iamse7en on May 9, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Gallup: For first time, majority of Republicans support third party

If there isn’t a Tea Party candidate and the Republicans are running a conservative, I’ll happily vote Republicans.

McCain was my last vote for the least bad candidate and in 2008 I actually voted for Sarah Palin in spite of McCain not because of him.

RJL on May 9, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I do not think anyone would be foolish enough to suggest running a third party. If the Republicans disappoint their base once again after making promises on the campaign trail the the voters will simply go after Republican leadership and primary them out if possible. Why start a third party when it is much easier just to seize the party we already have….?

NeoKong on May 9, 2011 at 5:39 PM

The Republican party is over.

They ruined their brand by running McCain.

Boehner is just finishing the job of playing “one party rule” with the Democrats.

tetriskid on May 9, 2011 at 5:39 PM

I can’t wait for Gallup to tell me who to vote for…

Seven Percent Solution on May 9, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I can’t wait for Gallup to tell me who to vote for…

Seven Percent Solution on May 9, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Huntsman.

tetriskid on May 9, 2011 at 5:41 PM

United we stand, divided we fall.

JetBoy on May 9, 2011 at 5:18 PM

The majority of Republicans are far more conservative than the party leadership and the Congressional wing of the GOP. It’s the leadership and the RINOs who are out of step.

You don’t know any RINOs, do you?

bw222 on May 9, 2011 at 5:42 PM

This should serve as a WARNING to the current feckless GOP leadership (yeah, looking at you Boehner et al) that are more enamored with praise from the MSM than doing what they were elected to do.

Fool me once… and all that.

My preferred strategy, though, is to kick out of office every single one of the current leaders. Primary them… McConnell, Boehner, and all the RINO committee heads. Do NOT give them an opportunity to fill the Senate positions too if we do take over in 2012! Put real fighters in their place and watch approval for Congress climb higher and higher…

TheRightMan on May 9, 2011 at 5:42 PM

NeoKong on May 9, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Open primaries gave us Lindsy graham because the Dems knew whoever they put up would loose in SC, so why not ensure someone you could manipulate get’s put in instead.

Each and every one of the GOP “leaders” are being manipulated by the Dems. Both Boehner and McConnell have been huge failures thus far.

Close the primaries and then maybe, just maybe, I might vote/support GOP leadership.

MadDogF on May 9, 2011 at 5:42 PM

I agree!..:)

Dire Straits on May 9, 2011 at 5:43 PM

They ruined their brand by running McCain.

McCain did win the nomination thanks to open primaries (which remain open due to inaction by the RNC) and a majority of Republican voters.

A Mitt McHuckabee candidate must be stopped in the primary. If not, the establishment must know the consequences.

Valiant on May 9, 2011 at 5:44 PM

A true conservative will attract other conservatives, moderates, independents, and even blue dog democrats. We should welcome them and all get behind our nation again.

mike_NC9 on May 9, 2011 at 5:44 PM

One of my favorite Simpsons episodes when Kang and Kodos invade earth and they both run for president.

Kodos: It’s a two party system! You have to vote for one of us!

Man: He’s right, this is a two-party system.

Man 2: Well, I believe I’ll vote for a third-party candidate.

Kang: Go ahead, throw your vote away.

angryed on May 9, 2011 at 5:44 PM

United we stand, divided we fall.

JetBoy on May 9, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Excellent point!..:)

Dire Straits on May 9, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Not gonna happen. People played the “I don’t like McCain so I won’t vote for him” card last time. This time I believe no matter who the Rep. nominee is those people will be crawling over glass to vote for ABO(anyone but Obama.)

sandee on May 9, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Maybe there needs to be a Conservative party. Moderates though would “infiltrate” it since they’d never win otherwise. The husk of GOP left would be about as big as the Libertarian party.

pseudoforce on May 9, 2011 at 5:48 PM

The GOP has nobody to blame but themselves.

portlandon on May 9, 2011 at 5:48 PM

sandee on May 9, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Anyone but Obama or McCain as in last time. Be careful who you nominate.

Valiant on May 9, 2011 at 5:49 PM

United we stand, divided we fall.

JetBoy on May 9, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Insert Feel Good Slogan Here.

portlandon on May 9, 2011 at 5:49 PM

This should serve as a WARNING to the current feckless GOP leadership …

TheRightMan on May 9, 2011 at 5:42 PM

You’re right, they are all feckless. So feck ‘em! :-)

Mary in LA on May 9, 2011 at 5:50 PM

O.k……. So four more years of Obama, swell. :(

ThePrez on May 9, 2011 at 5:29 PM

ThePrez on May 9, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Well, the base may be tired of having to hold its nose for the same ol’ same ol’. It’s not the base’s fault. It’s the “party establishment”.

pseudoforce on May 9, 2011 at 5:51 PM

The establishment also said the base would flock to Dole in ’96.

Valiant on May 9, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Insert Feel Good Slogan Here.

portlandon on May 9, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Up with People!
Sorry…flashing back to the 70s.

kingsjester on May 9, 2011 at 5:51 PM

United We Stand… and we have to stand united to carry the load of $20 trillion in debt, ObamaCare, ever increasing entitlements, and 60% of the nation not paying income taxes.

Bishop on May 9, 2011 at 5:52 PM

United we stand, divided we fall.

JetBoy on May 9, 2011 at 5:18 PM

We don’t need no education. We don’t need no thought control.

Valiant on May 9, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Gallup: For first time, majority of Republicans support third party

Great news for the Republican Party.

They can now openly and happily ignore Conservatives and key on the undecided middle 20% of voters that they have long coveted while the Tea Party takes the 40% on the right.

RJL on May 9, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Palin comes out and declares the establishment of a Conservative party. I wonder how it does. I’ll bet that gives the establishment nightmares.

pseudoforce on May 9, 2011 at 5:55 PM

United we stand, divided we fall.

JetBoy on May 9, 2011 at 5:18 PM
Excellent point!..:)

Dire Straits on May 9, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Heh again! Another great uniter.

chief on May 9, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Awhile back, there was an article in NRO about the GOP, title, “The Way of The Whigs”, by Henry Olsen.

It may not be too far off, if the RINOs keep driving.

Ward Cleaver on May 9, 2011 at 5:56 PM

No holding my nose this time, I tried that in 2008. If the GOP throws up some milksop noodle demorat lite, I’m voting the down ticket and the 2012 choice for POTUS can be blamed on everyone else.

Bishop on May 9, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Bishop on May 9, 2011 at 5:56 PM

I’m convinced that the establishment couldn’t care less. They much rather see another Obama term than to have some sort of conservative takeover.

pseudoforce on May 9, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Palin/Cain – If Romney, Gulianni,Gingrich,Huck, or any of these “too-nice to fight them for freedom” perennial candidates and non-leaders get the nod, a third party won’t be necessary -there will only be one allowed from then on.

We are at the precipice and waivering, and our modern-day moderates are pushing us off. There has never been a greater threat to this nation because now the enemies have come out of the closet and they come from within. It is we who no longer care for our freedom in great enough numbers to keep it. We have grown fat, hedonistic, money-centered, deceit lovers.

Don L on May 9, 2011 at 5:59 PM

*They’d

pseudoforce on May 9, 2011 at 5:59 PM

The desire is not for a 3rd party but for a party that actually represents the base and not the elites…we are not sending Republicans to DC to compromise and make nice to the Socialists governing us.

JIMV on May 9, 2011 at 5:59 PM

RJL on May 9, 2011 at 5:36 PM

ABSOLUTELY! If a non-conservative is nominated for the GOP, then I will go third party. Those who do not understand history are doomed to repeat it.

dominigan on May 9, 2011 at 6:00 PM

United we stand, divided we fall.

JetBoy on May 9, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Why do I get the feeling that RINOs only quote this when the person most likely to be affected is a fellow RINO? The principle does not seem to apply if it is a dyed-in-the-wood conservative.

Would you, JetBoy, be prepared to vote for Palin if she is the nominee?

TheRightMan on May 9, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I’m convinced that the establishment couldn’t care less. They’d much rather see another Obama term than to have some sort of conservative takeover.

pseudoforce on May 9, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Probably why Huntsman & Newt are gaining traction.

tetriskid on May 9, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Up with People!
Sorry…flashing back to the 70s.

kingsjester on May 9, 2011 at 5:51 PM

LOL!

portlandon on May 9, 2011 at 6:01 PM

So…

When the GOP decides to stop being Populists, and start being Federalists again, I bet this negative trend changes for the better.

As long as the elections are about Liberal Democratic Populism versus Conservative Republican Populism, the GOP leaves little to offer in terms of choice.

To bad the Libertarians can’t get any decent Federalist platforms rolling. That would be interesting.

Lawrence on May 9, 2011 at 6:02 PM

JIMV on May 9, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Another factor is the spectacle of Republicans trashing conservative candidates in their own party. That’s really left a bad taste in my mouth.

pseudoforce on May 9, 2011 at 6:02 PM

pseudoforce on May 9, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Yup. They stay in power either way. Now, what can be done about that?

Fallon on May 9, 2011 at 6:03 PM

pseudoforce on May 9, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Then it’s ‘Lizard Man 2012′ for me and I’ll watch as the nation finally crumbles under the weight of the establishment fuds.

Bishop on May 9, 2011 at 6:07 PM

United we stand die a death marked by a slow metastasis that eventually supplants all personal freedoms with government controls, divided we fall suffer another hundred stab wounds, and realize it’s better to take a stand & live free.

JetBoy on May 9, 2011 at 5:18 PM

No more Progressives. No matter what party they label themselves.

batterup on May 9, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Any theories?

It’s the fact that both parties represent the politcal class and neither represent the country class. Infact within the majority of DC politicans you find a wise and deep dismissiveness of We the People. the politican that can tap into that split wins regardless of which party label they run under.

unseen on May 9, 2011 at 6:08 PM

pseudoforce on May 9, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Bingo!! I’ve been saying this on this forum for quite some time.

There is only ONE party in DC – the Elites™ composed of both Dems and Reps.

The Elites™ will fight like hell against anyone seeking to upend their order. If you think the treatment of O’Donnell (vs. Coons) by Rove et al was shabby, wait till the GOP nominates either Palin or a similar conservative!! You would see prominent GOP members come out of the closet in support of Obama against Palin – a similar thing happened in Nevada with Angle vs. Reid.

And that is why Obamacare is still standing today. If the GOP leadership seriously wanted to defund Obamacare, they could do it but alas… they must protect their nest eggs.

TheRightMan on May 9, 2011 at 6:11 PM

I was told over on the Allen West thread that he and his fellow Republicans wouldn’t cave on the debt ceiling cause “that’s the really important vote.” Unfortunately, I’m with AP on this one. Once you catch the compromise flu, it’s terminal.

gryphon202 on May 9, 2011 at 6:14 PM

All that tells me is that people thought Republicans and Democrats were the same when Bush was in charge, but people are seeing a difference between the two with Obama in charge. Hence, I think it’s just more evidence that Bush was more moderate than Obama is. You’ve got to give Obama credit for being so radical and partisan that he’s making the Republicans look good.

JohnJ on May 9, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Well if the GOP is going to continue to be Democrats-Lite then you’re really just talking about two parties.

curved space on May 9, 2011 at 6:20 PM

I have great faith that a third party would win in a landslide simply by naming it the All-Night Party.

Christien on May 9, 2011 at 6:23 PM

sharrukin on May 9, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Ugh. Did Anderson have several illegitimate children named Chris Buckley, Kathleen Parker, and John Huntsman?

fiatboomer on May 9, 2011 at 6:30 PM

How about the Stuff Is Messed Up party? (NSFW)

Christien on May 9, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Let a thousand flowers bloom.

Bugler on May 9, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Would you, JetBoy, be prepared to vote for Palin if she is the nominee?

TheRightMan on May 9, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I’ve said repeatedly…If Palin were the GOP nominee, I would not only vote for her, I would support her fully…campaigning my arse off for her.

JetBoy on May 9, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Because, TheRightMan, only a RINO would sit and pout about their nominee not winning the nomination, and either not vote, hold their nose and vote, or vote for Obama.

Now THAT’S what a RINO would do.

JetBoy on May 9, 2011 at 6:37 PM

GOP puts up another RINO and I’m out of here.
McCain was the last straw and I refuse to swallow another media darling who worries more about being loved by the media and “independents.”
I will be independent of the GOP permanently!
Third party better than turd party.

chickasaw42 on May 9, 2011 at 6:40 PM

There’s a difference between what people want and what they will choose out of practicality. Bitter experience with (Clinton enabler) Ross Perot warns tea party associates away from third party or independent candidacies. The Republican Party will not be abandoned. But its frightened, status quo establishment supporting, crony loving office holders will be.

exdeadhead on May 9, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Yes we are setting up for third party disaster like Perot and just guaranteeing another 4 years of the worse President we have ever had.

The alternative is listening to Lucy saying that this time she really will hold the football.

I think the Republicans just blew their last chance.

I too used to try to convince everyone that the only hope was to vote Republican.

Not any more cause it really makes no difference. Might as well feel good while the Titanic sinks.

enginemike on May 9, 2011 at 6:42 PM

It is difficult not to find a 3rd party interesting when someone this morning floated a Newt/Huckabee ticket……..or Huckabee/Newt ticket.
I am not voting for a McCain again. The dems and elites seem to the interested in picking the candidate again. It will work just as well. The Dems know that, the elites are just stupid.

ORconservative on May 9, 2011 at 6:43 PM

The Republican Party will not be abandoned.

exdeadhead on May 9, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Yes it will. If they don’t get it together that is exactly what will happen and no amount of scary doomsday talk will change that.

sharrukin on May 9, 2011 at 6:45 PM

If a third party happens, Sarah, not ‘the donald’ will get my vote. I do not want bho to win in 2012. We can not stand as a nation with this…(I would get banned with the words) person as president! In my over 55 years of seeing what is happening in our Republic, we have to to stop bho, period!
L

letget on May 9, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Boehner, Cantor, McConnell McCarthy Kyle aren’t up to the job…we need new, real, non corrupted Conservatives in the government…. We need to clean house and of course all the Democrats have to go but as with the Repubs, I’guess I’m dreaming….

CCRWM on May 9, 2011 at 6:57 PM

There’s many ways to split a vote. Perot in July of ’92 was taking half of the democrats with him and half the republicans. Until he dropped out, he had a plurality of the vote. The right third party candidate can do the same. And the dynamic for that is more ripe now than ever.

Obama is not popular enough, and the economy is not good enough, for him to get more than just the base. The Reagan democrat vote, and the independent vote, is up for grabs.

keep the change on May 9, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Boehner before the November 2010 elections: “We get it.”

Boehner after the November 2012 elections: “We lost it.”

madmonkphotog on May 9, 2011 at 7:08 PM

It this (very bad news) is true, I can only conclude that the majority of Republicans are now allowing emotion to trump reason.

Buy Danish on May 9, 2011 at 7:10 PM

CCRWM on May 9, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Vote out all incumbents, no exceptions.

Christien on May 9, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Bitter experience with (Clinton enabler) Ross Perot…

exdeadhead on May 9, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Bush 41 made Ross Perot a political force when he alienated his base voters by working across the aisle to raise taxes and sign gun control.

Rinos are exactly what created and are driving the Tea Party. If Republicans continue to play that game they will be the new Whig Party.

RJL on May 9, 2011 at 7:13 PM

And this inaction is not deliberate?

The GOP probably justify to themselves that they’re being more representative this way. In any case, the fact they haven’t closed open primaries says a lot about their real agenda.

Ozwitch on May 9, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Buy Danish on May 9, 2011 at 7:10 PM

I am not sure it is totally true. I think it is a way of sending a message..people like to do that. It is just like the people who say that they don’t want the debt ceiling raised, but they don’t want spending cuts for entitlements but they don’t want taxes raised..unless of course it is on the super rich.

I think Republicans thought that when they won big in the midterms they would get everything they want immediately. Of course it does not work that way. The Democrats still have the Senate and Obama is still in the White House. That means that even if Boehner could get $500 billion cut in the House, the Senate would just kill it. Dead. In the water.

It is a process and people do not have a lot of patience. Besides, most voters think that the government should cut spending, but not on them or their families. There in lies the real problem.

I also think Gallup and the rest of the polling people can be a little dishonest about these things.

Terrye on May 9, 2011 at 7:16 PM

I keep hearing this, but I am not buying it. Not all of those primaries were open and besides the same system that got McCain nominated, got Reagan nominated. And the guy who came in number 2 was Huckabee and I hear people complain about him just as much, and after him was Romney.

I did hear that the primaries will not be winner take all anymore, and that might change the outcome.

Terrye on May 9, 2011 at 7:20 PM

My years of hard work here and elsewhere is beginning to show it’s effect.

Years of warning you all that the GOP will betray, with years of them proving my predictions, has begun to sway many of you.

Just wait till you see who really owns the media…shhh…it’s the same guys that own Hollyweird…keep it on the downlow though…

True_King on May 9, 2011 at 7:22 PM