Romney: I think Obama was right not to release the Bin Laden photos

posted at 10:10 pm on May 6, 2011 by Allahpundit

Before you guys start RINO-stomping him in the comments, let’s be honest. If he sincerely believed “damn right Obama should release the photos!”, we’d all be accusing him anyway of pandering to try to ingratiate himself with the base, right?

You wanted a more “authentic” Romney? You got it:

Mitt Romney said Thursday that he agrees with President Barack Obama’s decision not to release photos of Osama bin Laden’s dead body.

“It’s best not to release the photo because it has the potential to incite retaliatory violence against Americans,” Romney, the nominal front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination, said in a statement to POLITICO…

The tone of Romney’s statement on the issue is much less bombastic than some other Republican presidential hopefuls. On Wednesday, former Sarah Palin tweeted that Obama should stop “pussy-footing” on the issue.

Fear of retaliation is a bad argument against releasing the pics, especially from a would-be C-in-C. Al Qaeda’s already vowed revenge for Bin Laden’s death and cretinous sympathizers worldwide are demagoging it to the hilt. If Romney’s going to float that line, he needs to explain what else he’d be willing not to do in the name of not inciting the sort of degenerates who’ll always find something worth feeling incited by. A question for the next GOP debate, perhaps?

Exit question: Are there any prominent Republicans who could take this line and not be hammered for squishiness by doing so? Herman Cain, surprisingly, also said he agreed with Obama’s decision, and his grassroots cred is such that he’s basically RINO-proof. Anyone else?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Yeah, sure it does because you WANT it to mean that. Of course that would not mean people all over the country including Alaska. Naaaaaa, that would have no connection to my previous remarks would it?

Jeeze, and you wonder why you are called delusional!

csdeven on May 8, 2011 at 7:23 AM

Good grief. You’re still here evangelizing against a woman who presumably won’t even win a single primary?

“People all over” means, I would assume, exactly what you typed. If you meant “Indies would’ve supported her” then that’s what you should’ve typed. In any case, no one was exactly running to her defense except her prior supporters. You know it, moonbat.

pseudoforce on May 8, 2011 at 9:20 AM

pseudoforce on May 8, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Every time these sanctimonious jerks say something to the effect of “and if she wins the primaries, she’ll get stomped in the generals,” that’s all the proof you should need to knwo that a) they think she stands a non-zero chance of winning the primaries, and b) they don’t want her to run because of that.

gryphon202 on May 8, 2011 at 9:23 AM

pseudoforce on May 8, 2011 at 9:20 AM

If you weren’t so combative and taking every criticism of Sarah as a personal insult to yourself, you might have asked me the context of the comment rather than take it in a way that feeds your outrage.

Running to her defense when? After she quit or before she quit? I certainly was defending her against the attacks during her VP run. Then she quit, and I knew her political career was over. I see her role now as the one pushing the field toward responsible rhetoric. Hopefully a candidate will emerge that will bring the same message but not have the political baggage.

csdeven on May 8, 2011 at 10:20 AM

pseudoforce on May 8, 2011 at 9:20 AM

I think Sarah has a chance of winning the primaries because the field is so big. But against Obama, when there are basically two choices, she has no other candidate that can winnow enough votes away from Obama to give her the win. If Hillary or some other high profile demrat were to run as an independent against Obama, She could win with less than 50% of the vote. That wont happen. There will be just as many fringe demrats pulling votes from Obama as there will be fringe groups pulling votes from the GOP candidate. Maybe she could promise Hillary a position in her white house if Hillary would run as an indie? lol

csdeven on May 8, 2011 at 10:25 AM

This man has no chance of getting elected president. He is a follower, not a leader.

BrideOfRove on May 8, 2011 at 10:31 AM

csdeven on May 8, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Awwwwww. Of course. One of the “I LOVED Palin until she became a QUITTERRRR!!!!1!!!!!!111!!!!!” types.

pseudoforce on May 8, 2011 at 10:37 AM

csdeven on May 8, 2011 at 10:25 AM

OK, here’s a thought. Convince us to vote for someone else by NOT tearing down Palin but rather than selling this alternative candidate. Think you can do it? I doubt it.

pseudoforce on May 8, 2011 at 10:38 AM

* minus “than” above

pseudoforce on May 8, 2011 at 10:39 AM

csdeven on May 8, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Call me a “moron” and accusing me of having my “head in the sand” is personally insulting me, Bub. Spin it a hundred ways from Tuesday, but your disdain for Palin supporters is as transparent as Obama’s hatred for American tradition is.

gryphon202 on May 8, 2011 at 10:52 AM

pseudoforce on May 8, 2011 at 10:38 AM

And here’s a little tip: “They can win the indie vote” probably won’t work on most of us.

gryphon202 on May 8, 2011 at 10:53 AM

pseudoforce on May 8, 2011 at 10:37 AM

See, your assumptions make an @ss out of you…well, it just confirms what an @ss you are. I was against Palin when the Palinista’s were hoping McCain would tap her for the VP slot. Then I listened to her and really liked what she said. I wished she was the top of the ticket, but was okay with the VP slot until 2016.

Then she quit and I knew her political career was over.

See, the problem with you delusional Palinista’s is that you cannot abide any opinion of Sarah that isn’t in lockstep with yours. I know many people who have properly vetted her and found her abdication an insurmountable problem to overcome with much of the voting block that she must have to beat Obama.

It’s must be embarrassing for you to take the criticism of Palin as a personal attack on you. Don’t you see how utterly childish that is? She is not you and you are not her. You need a reality check as to what your identity is.

csdeven on May 8, 2011 at 11:52 AM

pseudoforce on May 8, 2011 at 10:38 AM

I have yet to decide on my choice. For the primaries, I want to take a serious look at all the field and have only ruled out Ron Paul because of his unrealistic views on foreign affairs. So far each one has pros and cons that I am bothered by. But I don’t think all who will run have announced yet. So it is blatantly irresponsible to make a choice so early in the game.

csdeven on May 8, 2011 at 11:58 AM

gryphon202 on May 8, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Get it right….DELUSIONAL Palinista’s. Palin supporters acknowledge that her abdication is going to be a tough nut to crack and don’t insult those who don’t support her for the same reason.

YOU are a delusional fool and can only articulate a rabid view that ignores reality.

csdeven on May 8, 2011 at 12:04 PM

I have yet to decide on my choice.

csdeven on May 8, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Of course you haven’t. You’re too busy with your street-corner anti-Palin preacher routine to give it much thought.

pseudoforce on May 8, 2011 at 12:36 PM

csdeven on May 8, 2011 at 11:52 AM

WHich is pretty much what I said. And it’s a pretty standard line from the Palin-deranged. Anyway, you’ve amply demonstrated your own assiness with about, what, 817 different posts saying the same thing? That Palin’s QUITTER!!!11!111!!1!! who can’t win and therefore she shouldn’t run because she might win?

pseudoforce on May 8, 2011 at 12:39 PM

One lasr time -if they can win the indie vote is the criterion to save the nation – then we must always elect an indie -never a conservative, which means the nation is done for. Let the indies get their own nation-France,Greece, Morocco etc.

Don L on May 8, 2011 at 12:59 PM

csdeven on May 8, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Reality is that you have called me a moron. Reality is that you have accused me of having my head in the sand. Reality is that you have patted yourself on the back for being non-judgemental, even as you judge Palin AND her supporters. But I guess since you’ve told me none of that is true, I just have to believe you, right?

gryphon202 on May 8, 2011 at 1:26 PM

And by the by, nowhere have I said that her abidcation (resignation, quitting, whatever the f**k you wanna call it) wouldn’t be a tough nut to crack. What I said, and what I meant, is that it’s not enough to influence my vote. Nor am I going to vote based on anyone else’s opinion — whether it be CS’s or the anonymous poll participants. How that makes me “delusional” is beyond me; I’ve never said you weren’t wrong, CS. What I’ve said, over and over ad nauseum, is that I don’t care. I’m not going to roll over and concede, even if most of my countrymen are morons. There’s too much at stake here this time.

gryphon202 on May 8, 2011 at 1:30 PM

pseudoforce on May 8, 2011 at 12:36 PM

As opposed to your street-corner preacher routine for a person who isn’t even a candidate?

csdeven on May 8, 2011 at 2:37 PM

pseudoforce on May 8, 2011 at 12:36 PM

csdeven on May 8, 2011 at 2:37 PM

I’m not pushing Palin. All I’ve said is if she’s as hated as you imagine her to be, she won’t get anywhere. Which sort of makes your constant sermonizing a little puzzling.

pseudoforce on May 8, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Leadership — I see little positive to be gained by releasing the OBL photos. (Or a not so self obsessed version “There is little positive to be gained by releasing the OBL photos”.

Aka, a leaders statement should not give rat’s behind what Obama did or didn’t do!

Losership — Obama was right not to release the OBL photos.

For those in the losership, it’s all too often about getting along to go along…

drfredc on May 8, 2011 at 4:07 PM

So I see the palinhater instead of talking about what boneheaded mistake this was for their man mitt instead turn the thread into an attack on Palin and her supporters once again. Note to the mitt supporters if you think your guy is going to win by making stupid gaffes like this and then attacking Palin to change the subject you are wrong.

unseen on May 8, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Wow, yet another reason not to vote for Romney again. How many do we have now? Masscare, Kerry-esque flip-flopper. The Minnesota Dynamic Duo of Bachmann-Pawlenty or genuine outsider Herman Cain look better and better all the time.

mizzoujgrad on May 8, 2011 at 5:05 PM

unseen on May 8, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Really dude? REALLY? lol

csdeven on May 6, 2011 at 10:41 PM

csdeven on May 8, 2011 at 5:41 PM

csdeven on May 8, 2011 at 5:41 PM

yes really:

So I see the palinhater instead of talking about what a boneheaded mistake this was for their man Mitt instead turn the thread into an attack on Palin and her supporters once again. Note to the mitt supporters if you think your guy is going to win by making stupid gaffes like this and then attacking Palin to change the subject you are wrong.

further the 2012 winner of the primaries will not be a “leasser of two evils” If you think you can tear all the candidates down instead of lifting your candidate above the others and win I got some nice beachside property to sell you.

Mitt screwed up here. badly. He screwed up when he stated we are a nation at peace while we are fighting 3 wars. He screwed up when he said he wanted to “hang” Obama. that is three screw ups in less than 3 weeks. the old saying three strikes and your out rings a bell.

unseen on May 8, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Really dude? REALLY? lol

csdeven on May 8, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Who else do we know who debates like that? “Are you serious, dude?”

/facepalm

gryphon202 on May 8, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Sorry but besides being against Mitt statements like this don’t exhibit much political acumen. So either he or his team or both are not ready for prime time. He’s trying to win GOP primaries and you don’t need focus groups to be able to calculate that this will lose you more votes than you’ll gain. Even setting aside the actual subject matter, the act of agreeing with this president will lose you votes. Not smart (and that will lose you even more.) Sayonara, Mitt.

curved space on May 8, 2011 at 9:35 PM

curved space on May 8, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Can you imagine Mitt’s campaign slogan?

In 2012 vote Mitt! Cause he didn’t quit!

Could it be the next “I like Ike?”

gryphon202 on May 8, 2011 at 10:09 PM

unseen on May 8, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Blah, blah, blah…..you accusation was spurious, I called you on it, and you act like you never said it? My first comment was what an idiot Romney was.

Do the country a favor will ya? DO NOT VOTE! You clearly cannot be trusted to comprehend the easiest of subjects.

csdeven on May 8, 2011 at 11:56 PM

csdeven on May 8, 2011 at 11:56 PM

At least we can tell the difference between objective facts and subjective opinions, geniusboy.

gryphon202 on May 9, 2011 at 12:24 AM

csdeven on May 8, 2011 at 7:26 AM

You are delusional…You’d fit right in with the MoveON.org/Koskids/take your pick crowd, where emotion — not facts — rule…

Gohawgs on May 9, 2011 at 2:04 AM

The more I look at the pic of Mitt, the more I think he’s trying to do this

Gohawgs on May 9, 2011 at 2:11 AM

emotion — not facts — rule…

Gohawgs on May 9, 2011 at 2:04 AM

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

You clowns are really something ya know?! lol! You’re the ones that get all emotional about poor wittle Sarah Palin and all the meanies who say bad stuff about her! You all make emotional appeals for people to “understand” Sarah’s choice to abdicate her governorship!

Good gravy!! lol!!!!!

csdeven on May 9, 2011 at 12:49 PM

…right after:

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

pseudoforce on May 9, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Romney only said Obama was right because Palin said Obama was wrong…

Newsflash Romney… It’s campaign season… You don’t utter the words Obama is right and lie like that…

CCRWM on May 9, 2011 at 1:40 PM

csdeven on May 9, 2011 at 12:49 PM

You are like the kid in the back seat just waiting for his parents to take their eye off you so that you can “touch” your sibling. A one note Johnny, nothing of substance, just pure brat…

Gohawgs on May 9, 2011 at 10:11 PM