Obama Gets Desperate on Immigration

posted at 4:52 pm on May 6, 2011 by John Sexton

Polls show that President Obama is in a bit of trouble with Latinos. He’s been promising them something on immigration since 2008 and hasn’t delivered yet. With the 2012 campaign underway, it’s no secret that he’s probably going to try once more to pass the Dream Act or something similar to win back support with this crucial constituency. There’s no denying that attractive celebrities make fine looking spokespeople, which explains why Eva Longoria was recently invited to the White House:

You can’t really blame the President for using the most attractive messengers available to him. But why is it there are never any celebrities interested in standing up for taxpayers?

[HT: CNS News for the video clip.]

Comments

Because celebrities have cadres of accountants to do their taxes and handle their other financial arrangements for them. Simple, no?

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 4:55 PM

“Let them eat lobster.” ~ Michelle Obama

Roy Rogers on May 6, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Obama couldn’t get anything passed while he had huge majorities, why should anyone take him seriously now?

ninjapirate on May 6, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Eva Longoria starring in “Desperate Marxists”

DeathB4Tyranny on May 6, 2011 at 4:59 PM

The Longoria family’s roots in Texas run back to a time before Texas even existed. Lorenzo Longoria, Eva’s first ancestor to arrive in the New World, sailed from Spain in 1603.

Fallon on May 6, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Eva Longoria also annoys the p-ss out of me. Plus, using celebrities is dumb in the day and age. A lot of folks understand they’re a bunch of rich lefties living in an adolescent fantasy world. Oh, and they also reside in a state that’s on the verge of insolvency, in no small part due to illegal immigration.

Doughboy on May 6, 2011 at 5:01 PM

So what does a majority of Catholic, pro-life, DOMA supporting Latino’s have in common with liberals?

Roy Rogers on May 6, 2011 at 5:02 PM

I had a beautiful Mexican girlfriend in college – dumb as a rock.

i remember her name was Eva.

Just saying.

gonnjos on May 6, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Im sure Wesley Snipes can be our Anti-Tax celeb.

HowItOughtToBe on May 6, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Being surrounded by illegal alien’s (that’s right, I said “illegal” and “alien”) here in northern Virginistan, immigration “reform” is a pretty hot buttom item for me, and I’m not alone! If B.O. wants a fight, bring this one. You will see people coming out of the woodwork fighting this one.

bernzright777 on May 6, 2011 at 5:03 PM

She is gorgeous.

And that’s all I’ll say on the matter.

nickj116 on May 6, 2011 at 5:05 PM

My impression is that the “business model” for the very successful ones affords them the luxury of not caring. It seems to me that they’re largely separated from the management of their own affairs. How many of them are really generous with their money–and on a consistent basis? Income taxes, to the extent that they are aware of them, are their form of charitable giving. In the end, as long as they’re advisers can assure them that they can continue to live large, what do they care?

BuckeyeSam on May 6, 2011 at 5:05 PM

bernzright777 on May 6, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Not so much in Manassas anymore!

WAY TO GO PRINCE WILLIAM CO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS!!!

Roy Rogers on May 6, 2011 at 5:06 PM

By all accounts public higher education has become a zero-sum, waiting list game for US citizens with just California Community Colleges alone talking about turning away over 350000 students next year. Therefore what the Dream Act boils down to is that illegal aliens get degrees, US citizens get waitlisted.

kd6rxl on May 6, 2011 at 5:06 PM

LOL! This is pathetic. If this is the best Obama can do to sell to his policies, 2012 is ours to lose.

jawkneemusic on May 6, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Fallon on May 6, 2011 at 5:00 PM

So she is descended from European oppressors who were responsible for subjugating native peoples & stealing their lands?
Just sayin’…

Badger40 on May 6, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Some of the new posts on HotAir, like this, I don’t really understand. Didn’t this Longoria thing happen about a week ago?

Also, I guess I’m just used to AP and Ed, but I’m used to seeing more analysis and commentary on stories. Stuff like this seems like it could’ve just stayed in the Headlines. Not sure who all these new people are…

MikeknaJ on May 6, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Yeah, when I want to hear a person speak about politics, I always think of Eva Mendes.

carbon_footprint on May 6, 2011 at 5:08 PM

nickj116 on May 6, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Not even close. Even with makeup.

Christien on May 6, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Just sayin’…

Badger40 on May 6, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Think “the second oldest profession…”

Roy Rogers on May 6, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Someone try to convince me that this is not Obama’s method and one which he has not to a fair degree roped hotair management into?

HalJordan on May 6, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Her good looks are not enough to reframe the immigration reform arguement into an immigration conversation. We are tired of the conversation and need to argue the issue. She can converse with her like minded friends but it is going to take an arguement to settle the debate.

fourdeucer on May 6, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Got my attention. Now what did she say?

Lawrence on May 6, 2011 at 5:10 PM

jawkneemusic on May 6, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Let’s test the hypothesis and nominate Ron Paul!

Nethicus on May 6, 2011 at 5:11 PM

I really don’t think Obama has a prayer here. So he might as well find the most beautiful of celebrities because he has absolutely nothing of substance to offer.

ORconservative on May 6, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Because they believe they will always be there, no matter what. And now that the taxpayer is less than 50% of the population, they can care even less.

JeffWeimer on May 6, 2011 at 5:11 PM

It’s also a way for Obama to get some nice-looking trim visiting the WH for a few hours under the guise of politics without incurring the wrath of MO. After all, there’s only so much one man can take of the likes of Christine Romer, Maxine Waters, Anita Dunn, Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, the women of ACORN, Shirley Sherrod, and the like.

BuckeyeSam on May 6, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Obama: “Don’t get between Michelle and a tamale.”

at the 3:12 mark

Roy Rogers on May 6, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Yes. The only time I can agree with one of Obama’s methods.

redeye on May 6, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Just sayin’…

Badger40 on May 6, 2011 at 5:07 PM

In Puerto Rico waaaayyy back we went through a similar situation…I despise Spaniards for destroying and anihilating my Taino tribe, brought poor Africans to replace/add to slavery, then the English and Americans.

Puerto Rico should’ve become a US State when the American Flag was in the island…As for this crap, let them wait, “take-a-ticket” and follow the US law process; don’t skip the line. They cheat and take advantage of those that do want to become US Citizens the right way. Makes people like ME look bad because Americans think I am an illegal immigrant when I am a 100% bona fide American.

Ticks me off so much-and I don’t hate Mexicans. Keep in mind there are farmers that do hire them for cheap labor who are breaking the law. Like I’ve written before, I drive by in Pennsylvania and their heads pop like daisies thinking I am a “federale” ready to turn them in.

ProudPalinFan on May 6, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Not to worry. All of the ILLEGAL aliens will soon be relocating to San Francisco.

San Francisco Sheriff Michael Hennessey will start releasing illegal immigrants arrested for low-level crimes from jail even if federal officials notified through a controversial fingerprint identification program request that they be held for a deportation hearing.

Of course, lots of ILLEGALS are already taking advantage of San Francisco’s Sanctuary City policy.

San Francisco County inmates from June 2010 to February:

19,058: People booked at S.F. County Jail have been identified through the Secure Communities program as possible illegal immigrants

Source: U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Stopping ILLEGAL immigration is going to require electing different people at the Local, State and Federal levels.

wren on May 6, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Roy Rogers on May 6, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Absolutely! Major kudos to PWC!!

bernzright777 on May 6, 2011 at 5:19 PM

This may end up sounding just a tad pedantic – an over simplification ……. but (big butt),

I’m a big ole taxpayer …. pretty much everyone I hang out with is a big ole taxpayer.

Kind of defined as:

1. Wake up long before you’d really like to,
2. Drag one’s sorry ass off to work,
3. Work really hard so as to facilitate the ability to take financial responsibility for one’s self and one’s family,
4. Drag one’s sorry ass back home and address the honey-do list,
5. Drag one’s sorry ass to bed way later than one would really prefer,
6. Repeat.

In all honesty – I do not have the time or the energy to think of celebrities (for the most part) as anything other than spoiled narcissists who pander to them that have a whole lot of free time to “star-gaze” cause steps 1 thru 6 do not apply to them somehow.

But that’s just me.

oldfiveanddimer on May 6, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Next Obama will have the cast of Grey’s Anatomy to speak about the HealthCare reform.

portlandon on May 6, 2011 at 5:20 PM

She is gorgeous.

And that’s all I’ll say on the matter.

nickj116 on May 6, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Meh…. the fact that she’s a mindless leftist makes her a lot less attractive to me.

Not as bad as Janeane Garofalo, mind you…. but personally, I’d rather spend an evening with Monica Crowley.

UltimateBob on May 6, 2011 at 5:21 PM

….there’s only so much one man can take of the likes of Christine Romer, Maxine Waters, Anita Dunn, Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, the women of ACORN, Shirley Sherrod, and the like.

BuckeyeSam on May 6, 2011 at 5:12 PM

You could’ve saved yourself alot of typing by just saying “the likes of democratic women”.

BacaDog on May 6, 2011 at 5:21 PM

BacaDog on May 6, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Helen Thomas: The end of the road…

Roy Rogers on May 6, 2011 at 5:24 PM

The DREAM act has been around and has never passed it didn’t pass when the dems had majorities in each house of Congress it won’t pass now. The DREAM act won’t pass because people recognize comprehensive immigration “reform”
for what it really is a code word for “amnesty”.

Hera on May 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Story is a week old but the video of Eva Longoria describing the meeting is new.

BTW, I’m John and I’ve been blogging on my site Verum Serum since 2005. I do long analysis posts too, just not all the time.

John Sexton on May 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Eva Longoria starring in “Desperate Marxists”

DeathB4Tyranny on May 6, 2011 at 4:59 PM

WINNER!

mizflame98 on May 6, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Hi, my name is Eva Longoria and I’m for OPEN BORDERS!

Now stay away from me or I’ll have my bodyguards beat you up!

GarandFan on May 6, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Just sayin’…

Badger40 on May 6, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Still are.

Texas Gal on May 6, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Eva Longoria is a Big F****** Deal!

_GaffeBiden

canopfor on May 6, 2011 at 5:36 PM

…. but personally, I’d rather spend an evening with Monica Crowley.

UltimateBob on May 6, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Here’s an even better photo. Black leather. Yum.

UltimateBob on May 6, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Helen Thomas: The end of the road…

Roy Rogers on May 6, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Please. I just finished dinner.

BacaDog on May 6, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Fallon on May 6, 2011 at 5:00 PM

That’s one of your continent stealers right there.

BL@KBIRD on May 6, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Republicans need to hammer home that Obama could have passed any law he wanted in the last two years, and he specifically refused to do anything for them because he wanted to use their pain as a political weapon.

JohnJ on May 6, 2011 at 5:37 PM

John Sexton on May 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Ah. Thanks John. I’ll check your site.

MikeknaJ on May 6, 2011 at 5:38 PM

When Richard Nixon was President, Rich Little, one of the best impersonators ever, did a record album called “Richard Nixon Superstar” a ripoff of “Jesus Christ Superstar” a popular musical at the time.

Anyhow, one of the gags was Nixon was out of touch, so as President he was calling in different people, representing different groups. For Blacks, he called in Mohamed Ali. Really funny stuff.

Nixon, knowing that Ali likes to rhyme, came out with “I know how bad a ghetto can be, la de da, de da de dee”!

I got better from there!

Who knew 40 years later we’d actually have a President doing this for reals.

You can’t make this up.

gary4205 on May 6, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Why is it okay for the colonials who still run Mexico to force their poor citizens to leave their country to find a better life? Mexico is for the rich with Spanish bloodlines, just like Longoria, she should be ashamed of herself promoting the fact that Mexico can’t take care of their own people.

Texas Gal on May 6, 2011 at 5:39 PM

but personally, I’d rather spend an evening with Monica Crowley.

Margaret Hoover, Megyn Kelly, Ainsley Earhardt, Crowley, The Boss, Mary Katharine, ………….., ummm, excuse me a minute…

BacaDog on May 6, 2011 at 5:40 PM

BacaDog on May 6, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Foxy ladies

Roy Rogers on May 6, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Obama: “Don’t get between Michelle and a tamale.”

Roy Rogers on May 6, 2011 at 5:17 PM

I’m thinking that I don’t want to get between Michelle O and just about anything edible.

Sporty1946 on May 6, 2011 at 5:47 PM

If Eva wasn’t the flattest actress on television I’d be more worried. She looks like a very feminine 14 year old boy in drag.

Jaibones on May 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM

“..he [Obama] had an open ear..”

..hell, senora, he got TWO of the largest, open-est ears in the history of the presidency.

The War Planner on May 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Cain had a great answer for the amnesty issue in the debate last night. he said we didn’t need “reform”, as we already have an existing path to citizenship. People need to use the legal path. LOL

karenhasfreedom on May 6, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Politically correct “Americans” love islam. they appreciate the explosive contributions islam has made to Western Europe. islam can do this to the USA! pc-ers want the USA to reflect the diversity of the third world. what brillance – this is how to do it. we also want illegals: see the barrios about the USA – what bastions of scholarship and affulence. see how they have made California public schools the envy of the first world. California has 19K Mexican nationals matriculating in California prisons. pc-ers are brilliant! we are admitting Mexico’s and islam’s best and brightest – what a steal! we will soon be the leader of the third world…

HalJordan on May 6, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Jaibones on May 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM

..since she’s a minor league star and seems dumb as a post, would that make her a hitless wonder or a witless wonder or a titless wonder?

The War Planner on May 6, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Argumentum ad verecundiam.

Bee on May 6, 2011 at 6:05 PM

I guess the optics on having Zeituni speak were less than…attractive.

Christien on May 6, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Hi, my name is Eva Longoria and I’m for OPEN BORDERS!

….. GarandFan

Which explains why Borders had to file bankruptcy.

BD57 on May 6, 2011 at 6:13 PM

for what it really is a code word for “amnesty”.

Hera on May 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Yet the California Assembly just passed the “California Dream Act” and the Democrat controlled California Senate is likely to pass the bill which Democrat Governor Jerry Brown is then expected to sign.

AB 130, among other things, would allow a small segment of illegal immigrants – those who currently qualify for in-state college tuition – to apply for aid from private gifts or endowments that totaled more than $72 million last year.

Assemblyman Gil Cedillo proposed both AB 130 and a pending companion measure – AB 131 – that would open the financial door wider by allowing those illegal immigrants to seek Cal Grants and other public aid.

And here are some numbers from the same article to quantify how many ILLEGALS may benefit from the bill.

Members of the group targeted by AB 130 represent only 1,941 students at the University of California, 3,633 at California State University and 38,302 at community colleges. Of those totals, illegal immigrants constitute about 32 percent of UC’s figure and an unknown but perhaps higher percentage from the other two systems, a legislative analysis of AB 130 said.

Meanwhile, liberal students wonder why the tuition rates for California Universities keep going up.

Oh, and American citizens who don’t live in California are charged the higher out-of-state tuition rates for California universities.

wren on May 6, 2011 at 6:16 PM

“Latinos need to reach out to republicans, not the other way around… they’re not going to get crap without our consent, and their threats aren’t that threatening.
ninjapirate on May 6, 2011 at 4:58 PM”

Great point! Latinos, if you want all of America, or just the reconquista Southwest to end up just like Mexico, keep voting Democrat. Look at Detroit to see what the Democrats have done for Black Americans. That’s what’s coming for you if you keep voting for them.

JimP on May 6, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Obama disrespects the U.S. laws.

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2011 at 6:18 PM

From a leftie, “performance art”

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Eva Longoria was brain storming? I hope she wasn’t hurt.

Rocks on May 6, 2011 at 6:30 PM

So Obama brainstormed with a Desperate Housewife. I feel safer already.

RebeccaH on May 6, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Coming Soon….to TV Programing near you!

Eva Longoria in,

“Desperato’s Latino Housewifes”,

its a tale of Immigration and the struggles that
Progressives face daily,trying to Organize and
Register Latino women into Democrat Voters!
(snark)

“You’ll be blown away”!…-HuffPuff

“I wish,that was my neighbourhood”!
-Daily Kos

“A true meaning of America”!
-Democracy Now News

“I DVD the show,and I watch it every morning
when I have time,in the shower”!

-Rahm Emanuel

“This is the other America,and she is hot”!

-John Edwards

canopfor on May 6, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Hi, my name is Eva Longoria and I’m for OPEN BORDERS!

Now stay away from me or I’ll have my bodyguards beat you up!

GarandFan on May 6, 2011 at 5:33 PM

GarandFan:Lol,Open Borders,oy,multiple meanings..tee-hee!!:)

canopfor on May 6, 2011 at 6:38 PM

It surprises me how so many reporters, when talking about her recent meeting with Obama, treat Eva Longoria like she’s some knockout 10. She is definitely cute, but I’ve seen better looking girls at a dance club. As good looking as she is, she doesn’t have those celebrity good looks or movie star good looks that make her stand out from a crowd.

Pamela Anderson was discovered by a cameraman in a football game with thousands of people around her, he put her on the Big Screen for all to see and all the guys went nuts when they saw her – long before she was anybody. I don’t see Eva getting that kind of reaction, or even being noticed by a cameraman.

Daemonocracy on May 6, 2011 at 6:39 PM

“The King’s Speech” was a great film. But I was watching a program on the making of the film and one of the people speaking was Helena Bonham-Carter. (Lord, what IS it with people named Carter?) But at any rate, I was reminded just how totally stupid these Hollyweird Lefties are unless they are reading something someone has written for them to speak.

oldleprechaun on May 6, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Obama is treating these peoples like a bunch of idiots. Using them and dumping them. They should resent his pandering. On the other hand, that Longoria gal is hot. Maybe that’s what’s behind Obama’s continued invitations.

Mason on May 6, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Unless you’re legal we want you deported!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xler8bmw on May 6, 2011 at 6:56 PM

wren on May 6, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Don’t worry. That California law conflicts with a federal law, so I’m sure Eric Holder will be running to federal court any day now to file suit against California. ;)

AZCoyote on May 6, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Breaking News

Texas, Arizona, Oregon place immigration restrictions on Californians.
“Forget it. You broke it, now live there.”

Caststeel on May 6, 2011 at 7:07 PM

You guys are crazy. The woman is gorgeous regardless of her politics. Mocking someone’s looks is really immature, especially someone as beautiful as Eva is when it’s obvious that you’re wrong.

This is as stupid as people dismissing Rush just because he’s overweight. Talk about the substance of the argument if you want to be taken seriously.

MikeknaJ on May 6, 2011 at 7:12 PM

If we had rejected the immigrants, we would not have had Helen Thomas.

seven on May 6, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Immigration Reform: NO

Immigration Enforcement: YES

profitsbeard on May 6, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Eva Longoria is welcome in, after a little “inspection”. But that is the point isn’t it? That allowing millions to circumvent the appropriate channels allows illegal entrants to bring disease and criminal histories into our country?

Any individual border crosser is just nice guy/gal you’d like to help out. But the demographic realities are that illegal aliens are already criminals ready to commit ID fraud to do work Americans would do… for a decent wage.

DANEgerus on May 6, 2011 at 7:27 PM

But do we know what Evan Longoria thinks about it?

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on May 6, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Because emotion trumps principle, right?

Speakup on May 6, 2011 at 8:14 PM

The California Assembly passed its own version of the Dream Act yesterday which will allow illegal immigrants to receive public scholarship money. Just another example of my tax dollars hard at work. I need to get out of this state!!

Callie C. on May 6, 2011 at 8:48 PM

The way to get what’s misleadingly called “amnesty” is quite obvious: Gain support for legalizing the current wave of illegal immigrants by demonstrating that you can and will prevent the next wave of illegal immigrants.
The reason Latino leaders won’t take this deal is equally obvious: they don’t want to prevent the next wave of illegal immigrants.

itsnotaboutme on May 6, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Democrats always pick one “super model” to trumpet their cause. This hides all the criminals, drunks, welfare cases, food stamp receivers. We then cry for these poor folks, Dems pass a bill and our country gets poorer, Democrats get richer because then they can pass legislation that favors deep pockets and unions. But man, the country feels warm hearted about itself as we sink into oblivion.

Herb on May 7, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Eva brainstorming… not friggin’ likely

Wade on May 7, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Eva brainstorming… not friggin’ likely

Wade on May 7, 2011 at 8:51 AM

She obviously has TWO prominently-displayed brains….

/sarc>