Luntz focus group landslide: Herman Cain won the debate

posted at 4:12 pm on May 6, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Johnny Dollar, so overwhelming is the reaction that Luntz is visibly taken aback. I thought Cain did well but never would have guessed that he connected this deeply. But then, he was the only true grassroots conservative onstage. Paul and Johnson are off-the-beaten-path libertarians, Santorum is an ex-Senator regarded by many (unfairly) as a one-dimensional social con, and Pawlenty is an establishment fave whose goal is to play it safe to preserve his core virtue of electability. Cain’s the one guy among them who’s in sync with the base across the board, plus he has the virtue of being the only one who hasn’t held elected office. If you’re looking for a political outsider, look no further. Cain’s also a radio host and frequent public speaker so he’s probably the most practiced, accomplished communicator among the five. That was a valuable advantage, especially with that group setting the bar low. And — here’s my half-assed pet theory — it could be that he benefited from being the only southern candidate onstage, either because some in the audience knew that he’s from Georgia or because they picked up regional cues in his accent, choice of idioms, etc. (Yes, I know Paul is from Texas, but he grew up in Pennsylvania and isn’t a conventional Texas Republican.) Liberals will scoff at the idea of a South Carolina audience favoring a black candidate over four white ones simply because he’s from the south, but SC just elected Tim Scott and Nikki Haley in November and Allen West is probably the biggest grassroots rock star in conservative America these days. I don’t like regional politics as a rule, but given the way righties are frequently demagogued as racist, it’s sweet to think that Herman Cain could have had de facto home field advantage — in South Carolina.

The best evidence that he made a mark last night isn’t the video, actually. It’s the fact that a person or persons unknown started circulating oppo research on him today. Did you know that he wrote a column around the time that TARP passed defending limited bank stock purchases by the feds? Heart-ache.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Its funny, but folks like Herman Cain and Paul Ryan supported TARP, yet the tea party still demonizes it. But hey, emotion will always prevail over reason within the tea party.

NoStoppingUs on May 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Cain/Bolton

BitterClinger on May 6, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Now that would make an excellent combination. Bolton has the foreign policy experience and Cain the economic background.

mizflame98 on May 6, 2011 at 5:58 PM

I gotta believe that’s a big factor really pathetic.

Enrique on May 6, 2011 at 5:17 PM

There.

Jaibones on May 6, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I thought what he said about his foreign policy was okay considering he has some time and besides , one of the keys to a great president IS great advisors.

ohiobabe on May 6, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Heads up to pollsters: start manufacturing polls that say he can’t win. Heads up to MFM: report aggressively!

winston on May 6, 2011 at 6:03 PM

I wonder if any of the Cain-is-a-better-black-guy-than-Obama club can tell me, a befuddled I-don’t-get-the-Cain-buzz conservative voter, exactly what it is you seen in him.

Jaibones on May 6, 2011 at 6:03 PM

They all agreed they’d pull the lever for him and that he’s great. WLS is the number 1 talk radio in Chicago the Nation, they also broadcast Rush.

Knucklehead on May 6, 2011 at 5:50 PM

FIFY.
It’s Friday. Time for the Canarble Wagon. *WLS fans know what I mean*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2011 at 6:05 PM

FIFY.
It’s Friday. Time for the Canarble Wagon. *WLS fans know what I mean*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2011 at 6:05 PM

It’s Friday and I’m busy packing for the big trip.

Knucklehead on May 6, 2011 at 6:08 PM

I think I was so dispirited when Obama was inaugurated that I can’t bare to watch this toupee’d Bob Barker and his panel of idiots ONE TIME for the 2012 election. Just tell me who the final nominee is, and I’ll vote the anti-Obama. But don’t expect me to fill in a blank next to Romney.

Marcus on May 6, 2011 at 6:12 PM

It’s Friday and I’m busy packing for the big trip.

Knucklehead on May 6, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Be safe. Btw: It looks like I’ve got the job at Walmart. I haven’t worked in 2 1/2 years.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2011 at 6:15 PM

1)He supported TARP and the bailouts.

2)He was chairman of the KC fed.

Sorry. No Thanks.

I’m sick and tired of supporting big government progressives who parade around as conservatives.

Nelsen on May 6, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Jaibones on May 6, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Maybe you should stop focusing on his color and you might not be so confused.

Daemonocracy on May 6, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Good for Herman. This doesn’t bode well for Mitt. Huck is dusting off his ‘I’m a conservative former preacherman. Glenn Beck is nuts.’ schtick and how, but his skeletons, oh those skeletons. ‘Curse you Club for Growth and CATO institute!’, not to mention every Repub in Arkansas. The rest of the guys look positively irrelevant at the moment. I wonder what Palin will do.

JimP on May 6, 2011 at 6:25 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2011 at 6:15 PM

That is great news!..:)

PS..It is good to see you!..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2011 at 6:26 PM

NoStoppingUs on May 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Think for one moment, even if it strains you to do so, and you’ll realize that Cain is a little known candidate which means as more find out about the article he wrote which expressed support for TARP will lead to him being questioned and challenged on the issue more.

Was it really that hard to figure out? Or were you just looking to troll by likening Tea Partiers to Liberals?

Daemonocracy on May 6, 2011 at 6:26 PM

It’s Friday and I’m busy packing for the big trip.

Knucklehead on May 6, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Big Trip?..:)

PS..Good to see you !..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2011 at 6:27 PM

That is great news!..:)

PS..It is good to see you!..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Back at ya Sweetie-kins.
*ducks*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Dire: Knuck’s going on an international trip.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Big Trip?..:)

PS..Good to see you !..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Sailing across the Atlantic to Barcelona tomorrow, on to Dover UK, on to the fjords, Denmark, Sweden, Estonia, Germany, Finland, Russia.

Knucklehead on May 6, 2011 at 6:37 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Good for you on the job too.

Knucklehead on May 6, 2011 at 6:38 PM

It looks like I’ve got the job at Walmart. I haven’t worked in 2 1/2 years.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Congratulations!

mizflame98 on May 6, 2011 at 6:40 PM

1)He supported TARP and the bailouts.

2)He was chairman of the KC fed.

Sorry. No Thanks.

Nelsen on May 6, 2011 at 6:21 PM

He’s also stated we should be on the gold standard and has called for congressional oversight of the Federal Reserve.

mizflame98 on May 6, 2011 at 6:44 PM

It’s Friday. Time for the Canarble Wagon. *WLS fans know what I mean*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2011 at 6:05 PM

It’s 5pm…time to leave City Hall for some canarbles before heading home!

Hannibal Smith on May 6, 2011 at 6:46 PM

FYI, not only did SC elect Tim Scott, they picked him over Strom Thurmond’s son in the primary.

Jorge Bonilla on May 6, 2011 at 6:46 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Feels good after all that time, doesn’t it? Congrats.

MadisonConservative on May 6, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Knucklehead on May 6, 2011 at 6:37 PM

That should be a great trip!..I wish you well!..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2011 at 6:52 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Dire Straits on May 6, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Knucklehead on May 6, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Damn! That sounds like an awesome trip. Since you’re going to Barcelona first:

mizflame98 on May 6, 2011 at 6:56 PM

THis quoted from commentators on another blog

STG58: 5/6/11 9:46 AM:
Northern Observer: 5/6/11 8:52 AM:
Is anyone here participating in the Money Bombs for this round?

Anyone familiar with Herman Cain?
Yes. Herman Cain is a past President of the Kansas City Federal Reserve, a member of the North American Competitiveness Council (NACC), a Security and Properity Partnership (SPP) steering group, and was a huge backer of the TARP in 2008. He also wrote an article about how it wouldn’t be all bad, in fact beneficial for the government to nationalize the banking system. Being a member of the NACC means you are de facto a supporter of the Trans Texas Corridor.

No matter how he presented himself, his history speaks louder. I want nothing to do with a candidate who puts forwards such positions. He’s charismatic alright, and manages to say some nice honeyed phrases, but forgive me if I already have seen what happens when we vote for such people.

CTDeLude on May 6, 2011 at 6:56 PM

mizflame98 on May 6, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Good for him, he “called” for things. But there’s the problem of what he’s actually done.

When will we finally learn the maxim that actions speak louder then words and that they are the true measure of a man?

CTDeLude on May 6, 2011 at 6:59 PM

CTDeLude on May 6, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Oh yeah. No bias coming from a Ron Paul website. No sir. Paul hasn’t a dog in this hunt.

mizflame98 on May 6, 2011 at 7:02 PM

CTDeLude on May 6, 2011 at 6:56 PM

From a Ron Paul website? Seriously?

***eye roll***

Knucklehead on May 6, 2011 at 7:05 PM

mizflame98 on May 6, 2011 at 7:02 PM

OT:..I enjoyed your posts on the Royal Wedding last Friday..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2011 at 7:06 PM

*Sigh* This is why I’ve gone beyond Hot Air’s rather slight balloon of info. Ron Paul website or not what changes the fact that he actually DID what the website says? Doesn’t change this column: http://004eeb5.netsolhost.com/hc133.htm by Cain. Doesn’t change the fact he opposes an audit of the Fed. Stop being so damn lock step and go beyond the nice things you hear out of his own mouth and look at what he’s done. That is what matters and that is the character of a man.

CTDeLude on May 6, 2011 at 7:24 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Congrats & good luck!

Red State State of Mind on May 6, 2011 at 7:46 PM

I love AP, but this southern stereotype that he keeps bringing up (without merit) is getting old. Does he really think people who live in the “south” are so stupid that they aren’t going to vote for anyone who isn’t from the “south”?

Vigilante on May 6, 2011 at 7:46 PM

I grew up in upstate SC over 40 years ago, and listening to the Luntz focus group, I was thinking how that they didn’t appear to be at all like what I remember people being like ‘back then’. Race wasn’t an issue with these folks. They liked what he had to say, and his not-being-a-politician was a big plus with that group.

Red State State of Mind on May 6, 2011 at 7:50 PM

The MSM have done their best to supress this candidate.

Good luck Katie!

This is a REAL AMERICAN. So is Allen West.

FUMSM.

Key West Reader on May 6, 2011 at 7:53 PM

It’s really pathetic.

If Repubs aren’t trying to rally their own Obama-like unqualified celebrity that reads a speech well (Palin), they are trying to rally their very own black guy candidate (Cain ).

Copying Obama will get you nowhere.

Moesart on May 6, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Vigilante on May 6, 2011 at 7:46 PM

I don’t think that is what Allah is saying. And it’s a reasonable assumption to infer that many people ‘connect’ with candidates who share some of their background or experiences, if not their geography, and are more open to accepting their statements.

Red State State of Mind on May 6, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Barack Obama was last seen in his closet. Afraid of someone like Herman Cain coming to rip his chit out the closet and into the limelight.

Oooooh. Just wait to see what the WH is going to come up with to schmear Herman Cain. And Allen West? Don’t you EVEN thank about running.

Heh. These are good men. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.

Key West Reader on May 6, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Moesart on May 6, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Yet another racist liberal, can’t resist the color comments.

Daemonocracy on May 6, 2011 at 8:36 PM

DUUUDE, people! Herman Cain has a masters in mathematics and called Bill Clinton on his phony math during a live nationally televised townhall on Hillary care! He brought Godfather’s pizza from the brink of bankruptcy to major profits!

Their second dream was realized when I proudly accepted my degree in mathematics from Morehouse College in 1967 and my brother graduated from Morris Brown College. Both of my father’s American Dreams were achieved. Now, I set off to achieve mine.

One year after graduating, I married the love of my life, Gloria. And together, we started our journey to achieve our Dreams. This meant relocating to Indiana where I would begin my Master’s degree program at Purdue University, while working full-time as a mathematician at the Department of the Navy.

After earning my Master’s degree and six years working for the Department of the Navy, we returned home to Atlanta, where I began to climb the corporate ladder with the Coca-Cola Company. I faced challenges, but I always remembered the values my parents taught me. With enough faith and determination, I knew I could go as high in corporate America as I desired.

Good stuff.

In 1994, as chairman of the National Restaurant Association, I had the opportunity to speak with President Clinton during a nationally televised town hall meeting. Here, I challenged the President regarding the impact on businesses if his health care overhaul proposal were passed.

President Clinton attempted to assure me and the millions of viewers watching at home that his legislation would not harm American business owners and their employees.

I was skeptical. “Quite honestly Mr. President, your calculations are incorrect,” I said. “In the competitive marketplace, it simply doesn’t work that way.”

Through these and other appearances on behalf of the National Restaurant Association, I began working with business leaders across all sectors of the American economy. This led to my acceptance of a position on the Board of Directors of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, and I was subsequently elected their chairman.

We need someone who leads like this guy does. We can’t keep launching into new endeavors without having our goals explicitly defined. I like Cain.

NTWR on May 6, 2011 at 8:37 PM

It looks like I’ve got the job at Walmart. I haven’t worked in 2 1/2 years.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Very happy for you. And proud.

hawkdriver on May 6, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Very happy for you. And proud.

hawkdriver on May 6, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Thanks to you all.
It’s only a produce clerk-I’ve been a produce clerk before-but it’s a JOB!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Choose someone based on RECORD, ABILITY, and matching what you believe, not race or gender.
gary4205 on May 6, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Ok. Herman Cain it is.

rukiddingme on May 6, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Jaibones on May 6, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Not being a member of this club of which you speak, you are cordially invited to expand your knowledge base about the man here.

rukiddingme on May 6, 2011 at 10:00 PM

CTDeLude on May 6, 2011 at 6:59 PM

The rest of we have learned this maxim and wait patiently for you to pass the test.

rukiddingme on May 6, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Doesn’t change the fact he opposes an audit of the Fed.

Yep.

Stop being so damn lock step and go beyond the nice things you hear out of his own mouth and look at what he’s done . That is what matters and that is the character of a man.
CTDeLude on May 6, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Having looked at what he has done, thank you for approving of Herman Cain’s character.

rukiddingme on May 6, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Copying Obama will get you nowhere.
Moesart on May 6, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Agreed.

That’s why should Cain win the party nomination, it is doubtful he chooses Biden as his VP. West or Palin would make fine choices for VP. Who would you recommend?

rukiddingme on May 6, 2011 at 10:05 PM

rukiddingme on May 6, 2011 at 10:05 PM

West intends on staying in the House. He has said so REPEATEDLY!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 7, 2011 at 12:24 AM

West intends on staying in the House. He has said so REPEATEDLY!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 7, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Okay then, Palin it is. :-)

rukiddingme on May 7, 2011 at 2:13 AM

WELL SOME ONE IS NOT TELLING THE TRUTH!!!
1)He supported TARP and the bailouts.

2)He was chairman of the KC fed.

Sorry. No Thanks.

Nelsen on May 6, 2011 at 6:21 PM
Cain is againts bail outs here dont take my word.

Do your own research people cain has the left shitting their pants. They are spreading dissinformation.
again don’t take any ones words for it, do your own research” This video took me 5 seconds to find.

ColdWarrior57 on May 7, 2011 at 2:53 AM

From Cain’s op-ed supporting TARP:

Unprecedented problems require unprecedented solutions. The actions by the Treasury are a win-win for the taxpayer. But the mainstream media does not get brownie points for reporting win-win solutions for the taxpayers. Their focus is doom and gloom.

These actions by the Treasury, the Federal Reserve Bank and the actions by the Federal Depositors Insurance Corporation (FDIC) are all intended to help solve an unprecedented financial crisis. Unlike steps taken prior to and during the Great Depression, these actions have a high probability of success.

That was not a very popular thing to say back on October 20, 2008. As much as I was against TARP at the time, in retrospect I’m glad Cain’s view carried the day and not mine. If we had we let the banks and insurance companies collapse, we would be mired in a depression while fighting two wars and structural deficits, Europe probably would have collapsed by now, and the Democrats would have wreaked even more damage than they did. Cain was right, TARP spared the country a depression and was paid back within five years. It plays right into his campaign as a serious, straight-talking, conservative problem-solver who isn’t going to let politics get in the way of reality. An op-ed by Cain in 2008 warning that the capitalism itself would cease to exist if TARP passed would be far more damaging.

If his presidential campaign doesn’t work out, there will be an opening on the Federal Reserve Board of Governors in 2012. If we take the White House, he could be nominated for the vacancy and as chairman for 2012-2016. I’m not yet convinced he’s presidential timber, but I’d love to see him replace Bernanke.

Lawdawg86 on May 7, 2011 at 3:10 AM

Jaibones on May 6, 2011 at 6:03 PM

He’s a Christian and conservative. He’s pro-life. He is for lower taxes in every sector and supports across-the-board budget cuts to force govt. restraint. He’s a happy guy and quite sincere, and he’s from the south. What’s not to love?

I don’t get your “Cain-is-a-better-black-guy-than-Obama club” reference. Is there a large group of people saying this? I don’t believe you can be either good or bad at being black, but Cain is a much better person in general than Obama in that he doesn’t have a giant chip on his shoulder nor hate white people; he’s not an angry, bitter, horses arse. Cain loves this country and the fact that it leads the world economically; views this as a good thing rather than a country of thieves who have only gotten ahead by plundering pour nations. I could go on…

Cheesestick on May 7, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Cheesestick on May 7, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I agree and thanks for that.

I wasn’t looking at him as black the other night, but now that I think about it, how great would it be to take the race card off the table in 2012, since that is all Obama has to play.

They might try and call Cain an “oreo” or some such nonsense, but it will have little traction. And Cain is a big boy and this wouldn’t deter him.

When someone looks at Mr. Harvard Obama who has been treated with kid gloves all his life and then looks at a real mature and intelligent man like Mr. Cain, you just know that Cain has suffered more from racism in his real world life than the joke we have in office now.

I’d love to see a debate between them. Obama would look like a little boy being spanked by his elder for being a fool. Mr. Cain would be the only adult in the room. Mature and confident and no chip on his shoulder. And a good natured demeanor and charm like Reagan.

I think a good number of black people are quietly embarrassed by Obama’s performance. A President Cain wouldn’t hurt as much as Obama being thrown out of office by someone else. And he would be a man who earned the job and would do them proud in office.

All this is just icing on the cake. Because Cain would be one of my top 3 picks whatever color he was.

Elisa on May 7, 2011 at 11:09 AM

for anyone who still hasn’t seen the debate or wants to again hear Herman Cain’s answers from last night,

here is a 12 minute you tube of ONLY his answers:

Elisa on May 7, 2011 at 11:12 AM

* the other night, not last night.

Elisa on May 7, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Jaibones on May 6, 2011 at 6:03 PM

You’ve obviously never heard Cain speak or respond to free-form, unscripted questions (something which Obama cannot do).

Cain has no need for a Teleprompter.

landlines on May 7, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Maybe you should stop focusing on his color and you might not be so confused.

Daemonocracy on May 6, 2011 at 6:23 PM

I might be suggesting that his supporters find his color to be his greatest strength, ironically.

Cain has no need for a Teleprompter.

landlines on May 7, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Sure I have. And then on Thursday I heard him respond to scripted, formulated questions, too, and he wasn’t any better at that. Again, Cainans, simply question here. Stop trying to discredit the people who are asking questions and just address the questions: what is it that you see in Cain?

Jaibones on May 7, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Cheesestick on May 7, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Elisa on May 7, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Asked and answered. I have seen this sentiment many, many times with Cain. And given his non-existent resume, I keep wondering why people like him so much. I have heard many supporters claim that his business experience is compelling, but if that is so, then there are 10,000 other guys out there whose business experience is far superior, and no one is pushing them to run, except for noted horse’s arse Donald Trump.

Just asking why, since nothing I have seen from Cain seems to answer the question, and I sense an affirmative action program going on here.

Jaibones on May 7, 2011 at 2:35 PM

The Tea Party is so racist they want two men of African descent to run against each other in the general election.

V-rod on May 7, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Jaibones on May 7, 2011 at 2:35 PM

My quote was not what was “asked and answered.” My quote CLEARLY was saying that the “race card off the table” thing was an after thought 2 days after the night of the debate. I came into the debate liking Cain and came out with him as one of my top 3 choices out of a field of many declared and undeclared.

You are hearing what you want to hear. “Non existent resume” ? ? ?

Here is where it was “asked and answered.”

. . . . . Cain loves this country and the fact that it leads the world economically; views this as a good thing rather than a country of thieves who have only gotten ahead by plundering pour nations. I could go on…

Cheesestick on May 7, 2011 at 10:45 AM

And there are more reasons than those I don’t have the time to list now. He is a true conservative all around and he has been effective and successful throughout his life.

We need a leader and he is a leader. Something that is rare today.

I don’t know how many have business experience “far superior.” As experienced? Sure. “far superior?” A few perhaps.

But I know none of those others are running for President or are conservative or are Republican for that matter. Trump and Romney seem to be the only other 2 successful businessmen running. And Cain is far better than them. So this 10,000 number of yours vanishes in reality.

Of the true conservatives running who have the guts to tell things the way they are, he is one of the tiny few who may be electable. And he has Reagan’s likeability and common sense for the general public.

There is a partial answer to your question.

Elisa on May 7, 2011 at 11:11 PM

I almost forgot.

This year more than ever “it’s the economy, stupid” specifically JOBS.

We need someone with real world successful experience in that area and someone who the general public would recognize as such.

Elisa on May 7, 2011 at 11:19 PM

4 years ago, when people were marching on Washington to try to stop TARP, I would have been called a loon if I had predicted that conservatives would jump to back a corporate lobbyiest ex-Federal Reserve banker who was instrumental in the next step of the corporate open-borders movement, the SPP. Now we’re being called loons for not doing exactly that.

I liked Herman Cain in the debates, but a little research into his history quickly changed my mind. He’s more of the same – nothing but a snake oil salesman. Long on charisma, but short on credentials. I’m passing.

Why oh why didn’t Demint run???

angelat0763 on May 8, 2011 at 9:29 AM