Arianna Huffington’s going to win some elections!

posted at 2:40 pm on May 6, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

Jeff Dunetz takes a look this week at the long game being played by Arianna Huffington after the highly profitable sale of HuffPo. The real story, apparently, has little to do with her old site or with AOL, but with the less noted patch.com.

Four months ago, AOL gave to Arianna Huffington $315 million and the keys to its news operations as part of their purchase of her progressive internet behemoth. At the time I contended that the most significant news property to be controlled by the Huffington Post’s progressive machine was the least known, Patch.com, a network of 500+ hyper-local websites covering 800 communities which combines national/regional information with local community news editors filing stories and updating community-specific within the communities they serve. The Patch network is concentrated mostly in the larger states.

Apparently, Ms. Huffington isn’t making any bones about it either.

“We are going to dramatically accelerate this in 2012,” said Huffington, who discussed the idea on a conference call yesterday with Patch.com employees. “We will have thousands and thousands of people covering the election. Covering the Republicans. Covering the Democrats. Just being transparent about it.”

From there, Dunetz goes on to ask whether or not somebody in Arianna’s position could “fairly” cover both sides of the election. I’m not entirely sure, of course, but I can only assume that our old friend Jeff was engaging in just a bit of snark there. But then, it’s not like we’re exposing some vast left wing conspiracy here. I’m not sure how many people could take a look at any information coming off such a network and confuse it CSPAN.

Money talks. And Arianna’s got enough of it to do a lot of speaking. Let’s face it… the argument up to this point has been that money is fair game in political speech and that goes for both sides. This is predictable, but not particularly sinister.

Comments

Vote for my candidates or we’re going to start mailing out all those AOL CDs three times a week to everybody in America again. Bwhaahaahaa!

jon1979 on May 6, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Isn’t that basically the Examiner.com’s premise?

alwaysfiredup on May 6, 2011 at 2:44 PM

My suggested caption for the accompanying picture:
“The air gap between my ears is this big!

Mary in LA on May 6, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Not this tiny boy’s one

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2011 at 2:47 PM

They’ll bash Republicans for not being liberal, they’ll bash Democrats for not being liberal enough. See? Transparent.

rihar on May 6, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Is Arianna expected volunteers again, because I understand that the last batch of such people “working” for her isn’t all that happy about being sold out.

Bishop on May 6, 2011 at 2:49 PM

jon1979 on May 6, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Here are just some of the things you can do with a CD:

Christmas light reflectors
Bird scarers, if you have fruit trees
Emergency signal mirrors
Jewelry
Disco ball
etc.

Don’t say I never gave you anything. :-)

Mary in LA on May 6, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Let me translate that:

“We’re going to call the Republicans evil, grandma-hating racists who just don’t like the president being black, while ignoring corruption in the Obama Administration, Obama’s broken promises, and his failed policies.”

In related news, AOL still exists. For some reason.

amerpundit on May 6, 2011 at 2:49 PM

So she is replacing Kos?

pgrossjr on May 6, 2011 at 2:49 PM

They’ll even have a reporter in Hootersville.

slickwillie2001 on May 6, 2011 at 2:50 PM

And Arianna’s got enough of it to do a lot of speaking.

The socialist/communist frumpy talks a lot, gratis.

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Bishop on May 6, 2011 at 2:49 PM

The irony of the left , blaming capitalists for exploiting underpaid workers…

the_nile on May 6, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Bird scarers, if you have fruit trees

Mary in LA on May 6, 2011 at 2:49 PM

True. My mother uses them among her grape vines.

rihar on May 6, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Perfect picture of an older leftie liberal female.

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Somebody got paid to do that drawing??? Yeesh. :-P

Mary in LA on May 6, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Give Arianna some credit. She has come a long way from where she started as a rich dude’s beard.

Hiya Ciska on May 6, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Unless she uses her own filthy loot to create jobs, her influence will be nil. Bottomline, most people are hurting in this economy and the donk’s solution is to raise taxes and kill jobs.

Blake on May 6, 2011 at 2:55 PM

It’s funny how she seems to think that dying her hair will make her more attractive someone.

Sorry, Huffington; You’re ugly, plain and simple, you are ugly.

Machiavelli Hobbes on May 6, 2011 at 2:55 PM

The irony of the left, blaming capitalists for exploiting underpaid workers…

the_nile on May 6, 2011 at 2:51 PM

They don’t need no steeenkin laws.

Roy Rogers on May 6, 2011 at 2:56 PM

So she is replacing Kos?

pgrossjr on May 6, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Excellent observation. While they’re both in it for the money under the guise of a completely different premise, look for a partnership rather than a replacement in the run up to 2012. There is puh-lenty of corporate, lobbyist, and campaign money, and no shortage of shills, to go around if it will get the desperate Left what they tantrum and scream for so relentlessly.

FlatFoot on May 6, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Why is it whenever I see or hear Arianna Huffington I’m reminded of this?

mizflame98 on May 6, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Sorry, Huffington; You’re ugly, plain and simple, you are ugly.

Machiavelli Hobbes on May 6, 2011 at 2:55 PM

She’s ugly because she has an ugly soul. I’ve met physically disfigured people who nonetheless radiated beauty.

Mary in LA on May 6, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Throwing good money after bad…

… Can’t wait to see how they try to spin $5+/gal of gas, high food prices, unemployment back up to 9+ %, and the coming hyperinflation as a reason to re-elect that thing in the White House.

Seven Percent Solution on May 6, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Not this tiny boy’s one

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2011 at 2:47 PM

From the site:

Barack Obama

In The Review
This drawing originally appeared in the May 26, 2011 issue.

So that drawing “appeared” in an issue that hasn’t happened yet?

ornery_independent on May 6, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Once again, someone sucking the ether in the ruling elite.

They are missing what is going on throughout the country at the kitchen tables of a vast majority of Americans trying to balance their budgets. They just have NO IDEA what real American families are going through right now.

Just because she can write content on 8000 local websites does NOT mean she can change the conditions from which American families are struggling. They WILL be voting their pocketbooks and checkbooks this election cycle. No amount of far left propaganda will change that.

karenhasfreedom on May 6, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Mary in LA on May 6, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Thanks! I still have a buncha those things :P

ornery_independent on May 6, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Give Arianna some credit. She has come a long way from where she started as a rich dude’s beard merkin.

Hiya Ciska on May 6, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Sorry… couldn’t resist.

FlatFoot on May 6, 2011 at 3:01 PM

One would think with all the money this gal has, SOMEONE could do something with that hair! I really hope she blows all her money trying to get bho and other d’s elected.
L

letget on May 6, 2011 at 3:01 PM

I get allergic smelling hay.

Del Dolemonte on May 6, 2011 at 3:03 PM

The definitive honey badger.

rrpjr on May 6, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Patch.com is a joke. There is a local South Suburban Chicago version in my neighborhood and I’ve been there, but it’s a nothing. I guarantee it costs more to run than it generates, and it doesn’t appear that anyone reads it.

Jaibones on May 6, 2011 at 3:04 PM

I get allergic smelling hay.

Del Dolemonte on May 6, 2011 at 3:03 PM

She broke Arnold’s heart

Roy Rogers on May 6, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I wished people like Huffy, and Soros would just stay in their homelands. Why come here, and f’ it up for us?

Time to get the word out about these people. Email everything you go on these people to everyone you know. Even if they’re liberal. It won’t take long to get the word out on the communist takeover.

capejasmine on May 6, 2011 at 3:06 PM

I, for one, will be watching very carefully who they promote. Once someone has an endorsement or is otherwise being promoted by Arianna et al. I will know that person believes in exploiting unpaid workers and making millions from The Workers without sharing the fruits of that work.

The other candidate must, therefore, believe in exploiting the workers by giving them paying jobs and benefits and in some cases profit sharing arrangements.

Lily on May 6, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I love how patch.com avoids all of the red states.

mizflame98 on May 6, 2011 at 3:09 PM

mizflame98 on May 6, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Nice! Should I go there a lot and click the ads like a fiend to cost them money, or would that be wrong? :-)

Mary in LA on May 6, 2011 at 3:13 PM

ornery_independent, here’s the article. Scroll down to see the picture.

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2011 at 3:16 PM

ornery_independent, here’s the article. Scroll down to see the picture.

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2011 at 3:16 PM

My 5 year old does a better job drawing stick people.

mizflame98 on May 6, 2011 at 3:28 PM

just look what she did for AOL’s stock…

mjbrooks3 on May 6, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Oh, it gets better.

mizflame98 on May 6, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I follow a couple of the Patch sites for my area and so far there has been very little coverage of political events beyond school board meetings or county commission meetings, and all of the reporting so far has been straight down the line with no editorializing by the writers.

Most of the articles on the Patch sites I visit are restaurant reviews, human interest type and local events. The folks that do the Patch sites, to my knowledge are not paid which seems to be Arianna’s modus operandi.

And yes when I found out Huffington was the overseer of the patch network I sent an email to my local one expressing my uneasiness with that.

Just A Grunt on May 6, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Christmas light reflectors
Bird scarers, if you have fruit trees
Emergency signal mirrors
Jewelry
Disco ball
etc.

Don’t say I never gave you anything. :-)

Mary in LA on May 6, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Better yet, I had my cubs scouts make hover disks with AOL CD.
-You take the top of a water bottle with the sliding top and hot glue gun it to the disk over the CD hole.
-Blow up the ballon.
-Put the ballon over the nozzle and set on the ground.
-Open the nozzle and viola… hover craft.

The kids will race them and chase em.

mechkiller_k on May 6, 2011 at 3:45 PM

We just had a hometown patch.com website try to demean and eviscerate the local tax day tea party. The writer didn’t even attend the meeting and yet he was snarky and dismissive, telling people the tea party is not worth their time.

Now, it makes sense…

Fallon on May 6, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I quit AOL when Arianna Huffington came on board, after probably 15 years with them (told them why, too).

I only wish I could quit it again.

Alana on May 6, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Now, it makes sense…

Fallon on May 6, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Collaborating with George Soros buying “political reporters” for NPR.

Control the messenger and you control the message.

Roy Rogers on May 6, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Sorry, Huffington; You’re ugly, plain and simple, you are ugly.

Machiavelli Hobbes on May 6, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Yeah that picture is a little scary. I’m not sure there’s a hair color that could help her, but the blond is definitely making her even LESS attractive.

NoLeftTurn on May 6, 2011 at 4:16 PM

mizflame98 on May 6, 2011 at 3:09 PM

I checked the patch.com site for Virgina and it’s all, ALL, Northern Virginia except for Fredericksbug. Nothing for Richmond, nothing for Greater Hampton Roads, nothing for The Valley, The West or Martinsville / Henry County.
It’s all the liberal enclave of Northern Virginia, surrounding DC communities even though Greater Hampton Roads is all in for Ø.

ExpressoBold on May 6, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Why is it whenever I see or hear Arianna Huffington I’m reminded of this?

mizflame98 on May 6, 2011 at 2:58 PM

LOL – hence why Rush refers to her as the missing Gabor sister.

NoLeftTurn on May 6, 2011 at 4:21 PM

…said Huffington Fox, who discussed the idea on a conference call yesterday with Patch.com employees. “We will have thousands and thousands of people foxes covering the election henhouse….

FIFY, Ahreeahna!

TugboatPhil on May 6, 2011 at 4:28 PM

One-world international socialist/communist pigs.

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Obama’s “plausible deniability”:

Obama DID NOT order Osama hit

Roy Rogers on May 6, 2011 at 4:50 PM

The Italian word for “left” is “sinistra”, so maybe this is a little sinister!

Steve Z on May 6, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Ever notice that all the links on Huffpo take you to another page at Huffpo? Not like here, where if you post a news article, the link goes to the article.

I think her site is popular is because it’s important to know what people like Wanda Sykes, Michael Moore, Tina Fey, etc. have to say about current events. /

scalleywag on May 6, 2011 at 5:39 PM

She’s wacky.

CWforFreedom on May 6, 2011 at 5:49 PM

“The air gap between my ears is this big!

Mary in LA on May 6, 2011 at 2:45 PM

I like it! My suggestion would have more like, “This is how big my ego was when I was three! It’s MUCH bigger now!”

oldleprechaun on May 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Checked the patch.com site for Michigan and they only had local sites for the SouthEast part of the state, which is where the blue voters reside. Nothing outside of the detroit metropolitan area. So this website syndication is just blue state areas preaching to the choir.

karenhasfreedom on May 6, 2011 at 8:50 PM