Senate to Squander Time on Complaints About bin Laden Raid Code Name

posted at 5:23 pm on May 5, 2011 by Howard Portnoy

As a native American (I was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and have a long-term birth certificate to prove it) I suppose I should be outraged. Other self-described native Americans (aka American Indians) are positively seeing red (whoops, make that “angry”) today. Their pique is over the code name the U.S. military used for the operation to bag arch-terrorist Osama bin Laden, which was “Geronimo.”

Me, I would have been perfectly fine with the code name “Chaim,” which happens to be my Hebrew name, as long as the result of the mission was the same. If you agree that this is much ado about nothing, then you’ll be delighted to learn that the Senate Indian Affairs Committee will be taking this grievous matter up in a hearing on racist Native American stereotypes. Your tax dollars at work!

Loretta Tuell, the committee’s chief (whoops, make that “lead”) counsel, said in a statement:

The hearing was scheduled well before the Osama bin Laden operation became news, but the concerns over the linking of the name of Geronimo, one of the greatest Native American heroes, with the most hated enemies of the United States is an example of the kinds of issues we intended to address at Thursday’s hearing.

These inappropriate uses of Native American icons and cultures are prevalent throughout our society, and the impacts to Native and non-Native children are devastating. We intend to open the forum to talk about them.

Debbie Reese, another American Indian, takes the lunacy a step further, writing on the Wall Street Journal Speakeasy blog:

A Native frame of reference is one that is inundated with appropriation and misrepresentation of who we were, and who we are today. There are research studies that point to the negative effects of this sort of imagery on the self-esteem and self-efficacy of Native children. There are other studies that point to the high rates of suicide, and, to the high drop-out rates of our children.

If your (non-Native) point of view is Geronimo as the courageous leader, then you probably think the use of his name honors him and links him to the courage of  the Navy SEALS who carried out the operation. … If your point of view is Geronimo as the blood-thirsty savage, then you probably think that Geronimo was a terrorist.

So, American Indian children drop out of school and kill themselves because of low self-esteem brought on by stereotypes? I’d love to see those “research studies.” If these kids are that thin-skinned, what they really need is a marathon viewing of South Park. That’ll get their heads on straight.

As to the code name, it was applied to the mission, not the individual. And as for Loretta and Debbie’s hero, they do understand that Geronimo spent the last part of his storied military career fighting us “white men” and died a U.S. prisoner of war?

By the way, on second thought, I retract my comments about the appropriateness of “Chaim” as a code name, but not because it offends my Jewish sensibilities. It is because the word is Hebrew for life—not the best application for a mission to take out a mass murderer. Besides, what possible good could come of giving a mission a fierce Jewish code name, unless the goal was to get bin Laden to die laughing?

Related Articles

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Obama wanted to use “Minnehaha”, but Michelle is just too darn thin skinned…

Roy Rogers on May 5, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Jeez…we are in trouble as a Country.

Has anyone heard of a $14 Trillon debt?

The government that governs the least is the best.

Oil Can on May 5, 2011 at 5:28 PM

How about:

“Operation Unicorn Fairy Farts with Skittle topping since we’re too wussified in this country to offend anyone’s delicate sensibilities for fear of anyone throwing themselves off a bridge since their precious self-esteem might get mussed”

Kinda hard to get that on a patch or flag though…

catmman on May 5, 2011 at 5:29 PM

It couldn’t happen to a ‘smarter’ PC-like bunch. I’ll enjoy the left’s excuses.

Schadenfreude on May 5, 2011 at 5:30 PM

So “Operation Fire Water” – though apt – would be out of the question?

catmman on May 5, 2011 at 5:30 PM

catmman on May 5, 2011 at 5:29 PM

LOL!!!

Wet mop on aisle 5!

Roy Rogers on May 5, 2011 at 5:31 PM

“Operation Get-Over-Yourself”?

catmman on May 5, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Remove everyone from their positions who bothered bringing this to light. I want them barred from public service, except as janitors.

MadisonConservative on May 5, 2011 at 5:32 PM

WTF? Are the SEALs going to be disciplined or censured for using an innocuous mission name?

What a waste of time?

BuckeyeSam on May 5, 2011 at 5:32 PM

The Indians should take note that the name was selected BECAUSE it didn’t have any connection to the target. IT would have been harder to keep a secret mission to hunt bin Laden if it were code named “Secret Mission to Hunt Bin Laden”

MikeA on May 5, 2011 at 5:32 PM

It won’t be the debt that destroys this country, but this politically correct insanity.

Knucklehead on May 5, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I’m secretly referring it to Operation “Mata el Pendejo”. Oh, wait..not any more, I guess.

princetrumpet on May 5, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Knucklehead on May 5, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Same thing.

MikeA on May 5, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Can some one confirm, but I could have SWORN that on that National Geo special “Catching Bin Laden”, he was code named Geronimo too.

HowItOughtToBe on May 5, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Wait until they find out about Apache helicopters, Tomahawk missiles, and Bangalore torpedoes.

Christien on May 5, 2011 at 5:33 PM

It is Italians that should be angry at American Indians for misappropriating the Italian name of Geronimo (means holy name) to their terrorist:

pedestrian on May 5, 2011 at 5:34 PM

“Operation Kill The European White Man” would have been just fine I’m guessing?

catmman on May 5, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Reminds me of the Texas school board meeting where the guy say that comparing spending levels to a “black hole” was racist, or the NAACP idiots who pulled that talking astronomy card because they heard it say “black hoes.”

You can’t make this stuff up. And the more these statists cry “racism!” the less power it has.

Bill Whittle on May 5, 2011 at 5:34 PM

If your first thought after hearing Bin Laden was dead and the operation was named “Geronimo” was, “That’s not nice to Native Americans,” then I question your patriotism, yes.

I was too busy dancing around the kitchen to worry about whether it was named after something that may offend my sensibilities. But that’s just me, I guess.

amerpundit on May 5, 2011 at 5:34 PM

For the record, if they had used the name ‘Joe’ to announce OBL’s death, I wouldn’t have whined about it…

joejm65 on May 5, 2011 at 5:34 PM

So any ‘ethnic’ leader wouldn’t be good but then again you couldn’t name this after an older european leader because the use of any ‘old dead white male’ is by its very nature racist and you couldn’t use any current or recent leaders because they’re just as racist and worse they’re tainted with imperialism too.

How about operation “yippie ki-yay mother ****er”?

Operation “Death to the Jews”, sure that’d be good, same with Operation “Kill Whitey”

Defector01 on May 5, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Christien

_____________________________________________________

Excelente.

princetrumpet on May 5, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Nothing says incompetent more than debating code name selection while the country goes bankrupt.

Vashta.Nerada on May 5, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Operation Gnah’Yea Taŋka Ob’wačhi

(Dances with fools)

Roy Rogers on May 5, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Im almost 99% positive that Geronimo has been his code name sinc 9/11. They sure waited a long time to complain.

HowItOughtToBe on May 5, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Christien on May 5, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Don’t forget Commanche!

catmman on May 5, 2011 at 5:35 PM

MikeA on May 5, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Supposedly Geronimo once escaped from a cave where soldiers were guarding the only known entrance.

pedestrian on May 5, 2011 at 5:35 PM

‘this is the way the world ends
not with a bang but with a whimper.’
-t.s. elliot

annoyinglittletwerp on May 5, 2011 at 5:37 PM

What can be the goal of these Senators? Are they looking for the people responsible for naming this operation so that they can discipline them in some way? In fact, would those people lose any cover they may have today and become specific targets of the enemy?

Obviously, these Senators need to have a hearing to determine if it is even a good idea to have such a hearing!

Freddy on May 5, 2011 at 5:38 PM

This seems a small matter, but when the Senate controls much of what happens in Indian Country, it’s where you need to go to address the issues.

Loretta Tuell worked as a lobbyist for a firm that worked for tribes in California, one being Picayune Rancheria, which actually EXTERMINATED members of their tribe via disenrollment, which seems a more egregious act than simply using a nickname.

These little things could lead to us getting enforcement of the Indian Civil Rights Act, which would help the individual Indian overcome the violations of human and civil rights of their tribes.

originalpechanga on May 5, 2011 at 5:38 PM

I am 1/128 (0.781%) Sioux, 3/16384 (0.018%) Wampanoag, and 1/16384 (0.06%) Naragansett Indian. This allows me to speak for all Native Americans. Using the name of Geronimo greatly offends me (even though he was Apache). I am outraged. OutRAGED!!!1!!!111

steebo77 on May 5, 2011 at 5:39 PM

HowItOughtToBe on May 5, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Took it this long to get the right amount of press coverage.

MikeA on May 5, 2011 at 5:39 PM

You would think they would be proud that over 100 years later, the name still connotates bravery. I would have been proud if they used mine, which means “There is no spoon” in Lakota.

Hiya Ciska on May 5, 2011 at 5:39 PM

From Wikipedia:

Though outnumbered, Geronimo fought against both Mexican and United States troops and became famous for his daring exploits and numerous escapes from capture from 1858 to 1886.[10]… They evaded thousands of Mexican and American troops for over a year, making him the most famous Native American of the time and earning him the title of the “worst Indian who ever lived” among white settlers.[11] According to James L. Haley, “About two weeks after the escape there was a report of a family massacred near Silver City; one girl was taken alive and hanged from a meat hook jammed under the base of her skull.“[12] His band was one of the last major forces of independent Native American warriors who refused to acknowledge the United States occupation of the American West.

amerpundit on May 5, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I don’t know this for a fact, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the mission was named before those involved knew the particulars of the mission. Supposedly there were only three or four who knew the purpose of the mission up until a short time before, what a week or two?

Dusty on May 5, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Screw the pc garbage.

Devastating? Really? Free speech is not “devastating” to these children. Yeah, which hurt the Indians more, treaties with the US or inappropriate uses of Indian Icons?

Wow, I have to say it would pretty insulting to me if I were a descendant of the Indian warrior Geronimo and I was told today that white men in the US congress were here to protect me from “inappropriate uses” of words!

JellyToast on May 5, 2011 at 5:42 PM

pedestrian on May 5, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Yes, and that bass I just missed last fall was at least 27 pounds. Trust me on that.

MikeA on May 5, 2011 at 5:42 PM

I’m part Choctaw – and I’m not a “politically correct” person.

However – the story of “Geronimo” is a very sad tale about a very noble guy who attempted to stand against the impossible in order to preserve his people.

He failed. It really is a kind of a “Braveheart” story. No, Geronimo wasn’t perfect – but he did make his fight with all of his being and accepted his defeat in the end. His people – their DNA still exists in the world – but the Apache are gone, even though you can find them on reservations – that way of life and culture is gone.

Now – I am also part French – and I know the Romans destroyed the culture of the Gauls through conquest. Just as I do for the Apaches – I can lament the loss of the Celtic culture of the European mainland. However – in both cases – I know that the loss produced MUCH gain. The Gauls learned the ways of the Romans – and went on, with other European conquered peoples – to create Western Civilization. This wouldn’t have happened if the Romans hadn’t raped the culture of my ancestors.

And the same applies to Native Americans – it was a brutal and sad affair – the conquest of the West. However, we now live in a nation where a grandson of Geronimo could be elected President. The Apache, and all Native Americans are part of the birthright that all Americans share. You can see this in the letter from the Apache tribe – where they say outright that they are happy that UBL was killed.

It was “insensitive” to use the name “Geronimo” for this purpose. I recognized it as soon as I heard it in the news – and I’m not one that wears my Indian heritage on his sleeve.

The code name for UBL should have been “Buzzard” or “Hyiena” or “Hitler” … it should not have been Geronimo.

“Geronimo” was picked … I know why – and it’s because UBL has been as elusive to capture as Geronimo was in his day. However – that’s no excuse.

Just give the Apache an apology – it doesn’t hurt anything.

HondaV65 on May 5, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Ward Churchill is filing a multimillion dollar lawsuit for the pain and suffering this inflicts upon him.

Roy Rogers on May 5, 2011 at 5:43 PM

So, look at how the Indians faired the last time the U.S. Government got involved in looking out for their “best” interests.

Roy Rogers on May 5, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Do they think there is Money in this?
If not, what’s the point? Oh. There’s not one. Oh…Okay.

bridgetown on May 5, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I just hurt myself laughing. Now, that’s devastating. I’ll sign off with my tribal name.

Sincerely,

Hawkeye Laughs at Turds

Mason on May 5, 2011 at 5:45 PM

How about “Operation Loosest Slots on the Reservation” ?

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 5, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Christien on May 5, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Yeah, the whole Piper aircraft company fought this crap for years… cherokee, tomohawk, arrow, etc. And then there’s my Redskins, well, that’s just never ending.

bernzright777 on May 5, 2011 at 5:46 PM

My high school was home of the Warriors-and while I don’t recall any complaints from the Indian native American community there probably should have been some-mainly because out teams pretty much sucked.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 5, 2011 at 5:46 PM

When Geronimo jumped off a cliff into a river, he yelled “meeeeeee!”.

Chickyraptor on May 5, 2011 at 5:48 PM

pedestrian on May 5, 2011 at 5:35 PM

There is a cave entrance in Nogales, Sonora, Mexico, which may be what you refer to. Apparently Germonimo was related to local Indians by marriage and they helped Geronimo out of the cave/jail he was in, outfoxing hix Mexican captors.

65droptop on May 5, 2011 at 5:48 PM

bernzright777 on May 5, 2011 at 5:46 PM

The only good Redskin…

Roy Rogers on May 5, 2011 at 5:48 PM

HondaV65 on May 5, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Huh, I read that the name Geronimo is not even the man’s name. It was given because dying mexicans were screaming out for St. Jerome. and Geronimo stuck. Is that true?

bridgetown on May 5, 2011 at 5:49 PM

amerpundit on May 5, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Geronimo said that he “took” the lives of at least ten whites for every Apache he lost – but that, even at that ratio – there were too many whites for the Apache to be successful.

Native American warfare was brutal – and the rules were quite different from the “norm” of the European peoples. Gernonimo saw many of his own people – women and children – killed by the whites. I don’t think you can condemn him for doing likewise.

On another note – I see a gentleman above objects to baseball teams being named after Indian tribes, etc. That is a whole different ball of wax and there’s NOTHING wrong with that. Keep the Cleaveland Indians and the Atlanta Braves!

HondaV65 on May 5, 2011 at 5:49 PM

How about “Operation Loosest Slots on the Reservation” ?

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 5, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Too funny!!!

Knucklehead on May 5, 2011 at 5:50 PM

HondaV65 on May 5, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Gotta disagree on this one.

catmman on May 5, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Hiya Ciska on May 5, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Are you Lakota? Just curious (I’m part Yankton)…

steebo77 on May 5, 2011 at 5:50 PM

The only good Redskin…
Roy Rogers on May 5, 2011 at 5:48 PM

….Is one that’s traded to another team.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 5, 2011 at 5:51 PM

“I have never, once, heard anyone yell “Geronimo!” without attempting something AWESOME. These idiots ought to be having a parade to honor the fact that this was the code word for killing that bastard.

Bill Whittle on May 5, 2011 at 5:34 PM”

That’s the way it was when I was a little kid, particularly when leaping from high (i.e., relatively high for a kid) spot into water.

Ira on May 5, 2011 at 5:51 PM

“Operation Don’t Be An Offensive Meany-Poo Or I might Cry”.

catmman on May 5, 2011 at 5:51 PM

The only good Redskin…
Roy Rogers on May 5, 2011 at 5:48 PM

….Is one that’s traded to another team.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 5, 2011 at 5:51 PM

That’s funny right there!

catmman on May 5, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Let’s just change the last line of the Star Spangled Banner:

“…the land of grieved and the home of the whiners.

NickDeringer on May 5, 2011 at 5:52 PM

HondaV65 on May 5, 2011 at 5:49 PM

You have to understand. Osama’s jihadist warfare was brutal — and the rules were quite different from the “norm” of the European and American peoples. Osama saw many of his own people — men, women, and children — killed by infidels in Muslim lands.

There can always be an excuse made for terrorism. But terrorism is terrorism at the end of the day. If you specifically target innocent people — like, say, settler children who have no control over the situation — you’re a terrorist.

amerpundit on May 5, 2011 at 5:52 PM

I confess, the minute I heard the codename I wondered how long it would take before the complaints started. We’ve gone insane as a people.

TheBigOldDog on May 5, 2011 at 5:53 PM

The only good Redskin…
Roy Rogers on May 5, 2011 at 5:48 PM

….Is one that’s traded to another team.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 5, 2011 at 5:51 PM

BOOOYAAAA!!!

LOL!

Roy Rogers on May 5, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Is there any wonder why flyover country is looking for a return of the redcoats…

phreshone on May 5, 2011 at 5:55 PM

The only good Redskin…
Roy Rogers on May 5, 2011 at 5:48 PM

….Is one that’s traded to another team.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 5, 2011 at 5:51 PM

You are on a roll today. Too funny!

Knucklehead on May 5, 2011 at 5:55 PM

It was Nov. 20, 2010 The Senate and Obama paid $3.4 B to settle Indian claims.

Geeze, is nobody grateful anymore?

Caststeel on May 5, 2011 at 5:55 PM

“…the land of grieved and the home of the whiners.

NickDeringer on May 5, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Amen.

I wonder if this is what it was like in Rome or Constantinople near the end.

TheBigOldDog on May 5, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Gotta disagree on this one.

catmman on May 5, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Well – maybe should consider the situation in reverse?

Instead of other people thinking that Geronimo is degraded by using his name as the code for UBL …

Perhaps you should think about UBL being UPGRADED through association with Geronimo. Geronimo was deeply savage in his attacks on whites – but the Apache had been forced to fight Europeans since the Spainiards entered the New World in Mexico. They fought for centuries – and Geronimo wasn’t fighting against any “perceived” slight from whites – he was fighting to maintain the life and culture of his people. This is FAR DIFFERENT from the “holy war” for a worldwide “caliphate” that UBL was fighting for.

UBL didn’t deserve a code name even as worthy as “Geronimo”.

HondaV65 on May 5, 2011 at 5:56 PM

steebo77 on May 5, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Fractionally. It is hard for me to get too much data, as back in the day, the family tried to hide the fact that one of their kids married an indian.

Hiya Ciska on May 5, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Sioux like the wind, Apaches!

Christien on May 5, 2011 at 5:58 PM

And no, situations like Hiroshima don’t qualify.

1) We dropped pamphlets in advance.

2) It served a legitimate military objective.

3) If we could have saved the children we would have. And indeed, we tried.

The terrorism didn’t come with the murder. It came with finding a child alive and then hanging her from a meat hook just to terrify and torture an innocent.

amerpundit on May 5, 2011 at 5:59 PM

amerpundit on May 5, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Are you making the claim that no innocent Indians were slaughtered by whites? Please, there was wrong on both sides however – Osama was fighting for a worldwide Caliphate … Geronimo was fighting for his peoples survival.

In the very end – they even asked to be left alone – to roam the plains and the mountains – just don’t “send us to a reservation”. They agreed to abide by all US laws even.

This was flatly refused – all of Geronimo’s surviving men women and children were imprisoned as POW’s for like 30 years.

HondaV65 on May 5, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Bill Whittle on May 5, 2011 at 5:34 PM

That was actually John Wiley Price a Dallas County Commissioner. He has a past of being a stupid, racist punk.

carbon_footprint on May 5, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Why the crying?All of the military helicopters are named after indian tribes.

docflash on May 5, 2011 at 6:03 PM

You know what’s pathetic Debbie and Loretta? Is that a once powerful people have been reduced to suckling on Uncle Sam’s tit and now prefers it over independence. Put down the fire water, refuse the welfare checks, get off the damn reservation, and stop living vicariously through people you’e never met or known. Maybe then you’ll be more respected if you do for yourselves and blazed your own paths instead of demanding respect while waiting for your hand outs. Also you won’t be so thin skinned if you bothered to earn your way as well.

mizflame98 on May 5, 2011 at 6:03 PM

HondaV65 on May 5, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I made no such claim. Nor did I forgive those who targeted innocent Indian individuals. But we’re not talking about them, we’re talking about the name Geronimo and whether the operation’s name was appropriate.

Terrorism is terrorism. Taking an innocent child and hanging her from a meat hook is terrorism. You felt justified? Lovely. Still terrorism.

Bin Laden could justify his activities, too. He saw American forces in Muslim lands and killing Muslims. He even saw fellow Americans attacking America for doing as much. He felt totally justified, too. But he was still a terrorist for his actions.

And you seem to think the end goal matters as to whether it’s terrorism. Whether you’re doing it for religion or peace for your people, taking a child and hanging her from a meat hook is just as wrong and unjustified.

amerpundit on May 5, 2011 at 6:04 PM

In the very end – they even asked to be left alone

HondaV65 on May 5, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Coincidentally, that’s what the Anasazi told the Apache.

Roy Rogers on May 5, 2011 at 6:07 PM

This is probably just a negotiating tactic to get a few more native casinos permitted. Count on it.

slickwillie2001 on May 5, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Next up: PETA files suit against the DOD for naming “professional killers” after innocent mammals who are also suffering from man-caused global warming and burly mean carrying clubs, i.e. SEALS.

TXUS on May 5, 2011 at 6:09 PM

amerpundit on May 5, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Didn’t Palestinian terrorists do that to Israeli children last March?

Roy Rogers on May 5, 2011 at 6:10 PM

… burly men

TXUS on May 5, 2011 at 6:10 PM

TXUS on May 5, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Spot on!

Roy Rogers on May 5, 2011 at 6:10 PM

This is probably just a negotiating tactic to get a few more native ca$insos permitted. Count on it.

slickwillie2001 on May 5, 2011 at 6:13 PM

HondaV65 on May 5, 2011 at 5:56 PM

And Osama has been forced to fight since the Crusaders (Russian/American) entered Muslim lands. He is fighting to preserve the life and culture of Islam. The colonial powers occupied the Muslim lands but were forced out after World War Two. Then the Russians invaded Afghanistan, the Americans garrisoned troops in Saudi Arabia and intervened many times in their wars and quest for oil. Now they are in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Libya.

The same excuses work for both.

sharrukin on May 5, 2011 at 6:14 PM

I’m sorry Honda, but this seems like the same type of relativistic pap we get from the jihadis.

Just seems to me there comes a point in time when history catches up with all cultures. It did with the Indians. Had they assimilated there would have been less grief for everyone. Religion and cultures go through periods of renaissance and reformation. Many come out stronger and better on the other side.

But this is a case of aggrieved victimization to me. What name would have been better? Do we have to run EVERYTHING through a damn PC committee before getting things done anymore?

catmman on May 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM

catmman on May 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM

We did not have a Seal Team Six back in the day.

BUFFALO SOLDIERS KICK AZZ!!!

Roy Rogers on May 5, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Just give the Apache an apology – it doesn’t hurt anything.

HondaV65 on May 5, 2011 at 5:42 PM

I really liked your comment. I’m not sure of I agree with your conclusion for the need of an apology, though. I hate the pc stuff. I see it for what it is and I an also sick of people being offended all of the time. We have lost so much in this nation and the direction we are headed, if left unchecked, is not good.

JellyToast on May 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM

As a white, conservative, heterosexual, Catholic man let me welcome you to my world.

landshark on May 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Some people need to GET A LIFE! And the rest of the idiots can stop pandering to them!

GarandFan on May 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Geronimo was very hard to catch. In fact, if he had not gotten old and tired of running they might never have gotten him. Maybe that had something to do with the name.

Terrye on May 5, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Hiya Ciska on May 5, 2011 at 5:57 PM

The Indian Census Rolls (1885-1940)at ancestry.com are a good place to start looking.

steebo77 on May 5, 2011 at 6:28 PM

And down in Florida they (my fellow Republicans) got hung up over some kind of legislation involving dog racing of all things, and I think pushed through a small business tax break of around $1100 per annum that probably won’t even lead to job one being created.

Yep. That “November Revolution” is really turning this here country around I’mheretotellya.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 5, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Just out of curiosity, any special reason they couldn’t have called this thing “Operation Custer”, just for the sake of variety?

pilamaye on May 5, 2011 at 6:41 PM

In case it hasn’t been mentioned yet, Geronimo wasn’t even his given name.

He took on the Mexican name when he broke off from the Chiricahua Apache tribe of Chief Cochise who signed a peace treaty with the US Army/Govt.

maverick muse on May 5, 2011 at 6:43 PM

I’m part “Native American” so that gives me some bona fides in this. I recall the U.S. Army paratroopers yelled ‘Geronimo’ as they exited the door invading Europe to defeat the Nazis. I guess they were siding with Hitler? Forever associating/equating Geronimo with der Fuhrer? Funny, gowing up after the war we never understood the paratroops were dissing Indians. We thought it was like a war cry of a fearless warrior. You know, invoking the fearless spirit of a great American Indian warrior chief as you go into battle. Something akin to ‘We’re all in for killing the b@$t@rd$ or we’ll die trying!’ I thought the same of this operation until I heard the whining from my half brothers that it was some kind of racist demeaning codeword forever associated with Bin Laden. So, I propose the next terrorist killing op be named Dixie or Yankee or Gringo or White Eyes to even the PC scales.

JimP on May 5, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Odyssey Dawn is more of an outrage as far as names go.

roy_batty on May 5, 2011 at 6:44 PM

I would have called it OPERATION:BACON.

Cuz that’s how I roll.

birdhurd on May 5, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Sioux like the wind, Apaches!

Christien on May 5, 2011 at 5:58 PM

ROTFL!

If the Sioux’s claims to have the Black Hills given back to them are ever honored I, for one, am planning to sue those thieving SOBs for the portion they stole from my ancestors when they ran the Paiutes off back in the day.

Lily on May 5, 2011 at 6:45 PM

JimP on May 5, 2011 at 6:43 PM

I agree that those who grew up in Arizona respected the name “Geronimo” as no Arizonan scoffed at Geronimo’s clever ferocity.

maverick muse on May 5, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Just as long as they didn’t call it Operation Ole and Lena. That would have been really, really horrible.

Mirimichi on May 5, 2011 at 6:59 PM

slickwillie2001 on May 5, 2011 at 6:13 PM

It has to be. Otherwise, those folks that are that thin-skinned are probably people no one wants to be hanging around with anyway.

As one friend pointed out to me: The ability of ANY native group to get… the respect needed to have these issues taken seriously begins with how we are perceived. Addressing the root of these negative stereotypes that diminish our humanity in the eyes of the larger population is a step in that direction.

originalpechanga on May 5, 2011 at 5:38 PM

That last quote is the best part of this entire thread. However, I feel that nothing will ever satisfy such groups because of the effects of pandering and the ongoing wussification of America.

RMCS_USN on May 5, 2011 at 7:13 PM