Q-Poll: Is Sarah Palin unelectable?

posted at 7:52 pm on May 5, 2011 by Karl

If you took the latest Quinnipiac University poll at face value, you might think so:

However, there is ample reason to not take this poll at face value.

As political scientist John Sides has noted (with little effect on the establishment media, much to his chagrin) about 90% of the public is partisan and about 80-90% of those voters vote for their party’s candidate. Thus, presidential elections tend to turn on the difference in turnout between Republicans and Democrats and the distribution of the so-called Independent vote. On the latter factor, it is important to note that pollsters often treat Independents synonymously with swing voters, when only 7-10% of Independents are truly indepenedent. The rest are weak partisans who overwhelmingly vote their partisan sympathies. Incidentally, the folks at Quinnipiac know this and have been known to separate leaners out from true Indies — but it does not appear that they did so in this poll.

Accordingly, when turning back to the Q-Poll, it’s a good bet that some or most of the 24% of Republicans who told Quinnipiac they would never vote for Palin are fooling themselves. Conversely, 50% of Democrats may say they would consider voting for Mitt Romney, but the real answer is probably closer to the 91% who say they would never vote for Palin.

Palin also scores badly with so-called Indies in the Q-Poll: 58% say they would never vote for her. However, we don’t know how many of the true independents are in that group, as opposed to Democrat leaners. Indeed, with Democratic Party ID hitting a 22-year low at the same time as a high for Independent ID, it is a fair bet that the number of Democrat leaners has been on the rise.

Nevertheless, the Q-Poll does hold some basic lessons about a prospective Palin candidacy. Because partisan turnout is a key factor to winning, Sarah’s supporters often claim that she energizes the GOP base in a way that her potential rivals do not. The Q-Poll (and most polls about hypothetical 2012 fields) suggest Palinistas are overstating their case. The number of voters — both in general and among Republicans — who say they are enthusiastic about voting for Palin are not significantly higher than those for Romney or Mike Huckabee. Moreover, some GOPers who say they would never vote for Palin may be fooling themselves, but that 24% suggests a lack of enthusiasm for Palin as a standard-bearer (dismiss such folks as RINOs, but they also affect turnout).

Similarly, while Palin’s problems with Indies may be overstated, her showing with them remains at least a caution flag. Based on the Q-Poll, we simply don’t know to what extent Palin has turned off true Independents, which is crucial in her case because she (unlike all of her potential rivals) is near-universally known. If she has lost that 7-10% of the electorate, it would take a much bigger shift in the overall political environment to win them over, relative to other possible GOP nominees. Furthermore, her poor score with so-called Independents — even if we acknowledge that many are Democrat leaners — may also speak to enthusiasm and turnout. Palin certainly excites a segment of the GOP base, but she may also boost Democratic enthusiasm.

Reading the Q-Poll against the fairly strong trends in presidential elections discussed here, I would hypothesize that Palin’s actual profile probably resembles that of another candidate tested in the poll: Newt Gingrich. He is well-known. Roughly 12% of Republicans say they will not vote for him. He scores poorly with Independents and worse with Democrats. If this hypothesis is correct, we would expect the percentage of voters who would never vote for Palin to be somewhere in the high-30s to low-40s (Republicans would be more enthused about Palin than Gingrich). Is such a candidate electable? You betcha — but if you imagine trying to elect Newt, you can imagine that it might not be easy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

First of all her fate is in her hands not ours. This time around she will be the boss. She has said repeatedly that if she runs she wants to judged on the quality of her campaign, and she has said that a competitive primary is the best way to choose the GOP nominee. So we can help her, or hinder her, but she will be in the driver’s seat. It will be something to watch and to participate in. If she gets the nomination NO ONE will be able to say she didn’t earn it. She will do it over the dead bodies of a significant chunk of the GOP establishment, the other primary candidates, the MSM, the Democrat Party and the Obama machine. At which point she will be an historical figure even before taking office. I believe that powerful forces will coalesce behind her and in fact that movement may already have started. We shall see, it will be something to behold, her and the American people.

Viator on May 6, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Viator on May 6, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Well said.

Writing her off now is very silly.

She has great skills with crowds of people, and one on one as well. She campaigns harder than anyone I’ve seen in a long time, and genuinely enjoys meeting people out in flyover land.

She has been right about a whole range of issues, and most of America already agrees with her even if they don’t know it yet.

She is not afraid to take it straight to Obama, and do it with hard hitting substance mixed with some humor.

These qualities will serve her well.

Brian1972 on May 6, 2011 at 9:52 AM

i think you’ll find a lot of conservatives, like myself, will simply sit the election out if palin is the candidate.

TheBlueSite on May 5, 2011 at 8:03 PM

That is the mindset that will put Obama in the WH for 4 more years. Unfortunately the drumbeat of “she’s unelectable & I won’t vote for her” has polarized the voters to the point where it won’t matter who the GOP runs. You won’t vote for Palin because she’s polarizing and stupid and I won’t vote for XYZ because they’re Dem-lite or have no leadership ability. I won’t vote for Obama but I also won’t vote for a candidate just because the Independents like them. Thus the Dems will roll into office while we’re all complaining.

I support Palin because IMO she has leadership qualities none of the rest do. I don’t see the POTUS as needing to be a detail grunt like some apparently do.

However if she couldn’t make her case in the primaries and the GOP voters decided that there was a better candidate I would have sucked it up and voted for the winner. However the constant personal attacks not only from the media but from many in the GOP has hardened my attitude. I don’t see much benefit from voting for another bland milktoast white guy who couldn’t led if you gave him a GPS.

Dismiss gender bias all you want but I do think it is a factor. People seem to be uncomfortable with woman who are not warm and fuzzy. Did everyone forget all the sexist snarks about Hillary? Too bad that wasn’t deemed as unacceptable as alleged racist snarks about BO were.

katiejane on May 6, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Is Sarah Palin unelectable? Of course not! There’s always divine intervention, selective mass hypnosis and/or population die-off, the chance that the majority of the electorate is flat out lying etc. The important thing is that we not support a viable candidate, b/c, let’s face it, any of the above scenarios just might be true.

exlibris on May 6, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Right, let’s select which candidates are even allowed to run in the primaries based on polls conducted by an establishment that dislikes the GOP in general, hates Palin’s guts, and loves Obama.

Nice attempt at convincing Palin’s supporters to stop supporting her, though.

/sarc

Aitch748 on May 6, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Unfortunately, the dumbest voters don’t realized that when
it comes to Palin they have been “played” by the media,
Obama’s thugocracy and the repub estab.

If they had any brains to use, they would be infuriated
that these people are telling them who is qualified, electable, etc. and who is not

That is what scares me. The voters were stupid enough to vote for Obama a first time; what will prevent them from doing it again. “The ignorant masses” will forgive their leader any vice if they know that he will relieve them of the obligation of thinking”.

And someone said it best on Hot Air – don’t recall who:

“The folks who voted for Obama in 2008 to prove they were not racist had better vote for someone else this time around to prove they aren’t stupid.”

Amjean on May 6, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Also consider what it does to independent voters. I’d plug my nose and vote for Obama if he were up against Palin (normally I’d vote third party).

Mark Jaquith on May 6, 2011 at 10:22 AM

The fact that so many on “our side” take these stupid polls seriously is really scary. When are people going to learn that these flawed (and purposely skewed) polls are designed to sway opinion–not reflect it? Why would anyone on the right trust ANYTHING the media puts out when it comes to our candidates?

Redneck Woman on May 6, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Mark Jaquith on May 6, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Sounds like you weren’t going to be a GOP voter regardless of who runs.

katiejane on May 6, 2011 at 10:27 AM

And someone said it best on Hot Air – don’t recall who:

Amjean on May 6, 2011 at 10:18 AM

That’s good, I’m gonna use it. It kinda describes my mother, bless her heart.

I don’t have time to read the previous 300 comments, but I wanted to chime in. Not only will I vote for Palin, I will campaign for her. I’ve never done that before. Don’t misunderestimate the Barricuda Brigade that is self-organizing out there.

ornery_independent on May 6, 2011 at 10:31 AM

And someone said it best on Hot Air – don’t recall who:

Amjean on May 6, 2011 at 10:18 AM

THIS.

steebo77 on May 6, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Mark Jaquith on May 6, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Then you have many issues to work out for yourself because you have been played like a violin, spoon fed and hooked on a line to lead around as the Democrats please.

You say this without even having seen a primary campaign, much less a head to head debate Palin vs. Obama.

If you are even the slightest bit open to conservative ideas, you would not be saying what you are saying.

If normally you would vote third party, you would not be a factor in the election anyway.

Obviously, you are no conservative.

Brian1972 on May 6, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Mark Jaquith on May 6, 2011 at 10:22 AM

It will be Sarah’s job as a candidate to prove that she is capable and deserves their votes. Can she do that? WHY YES, I THINK SHE CAN !

stenwin77 on May 6, 2011 at 10:33 AM

The MSM has been awfully quiet where SP is concerned since they declared Feb a Palin-free month. That can mean two things – either they feel she is no longer a threat because she is so unelectable or they are simply determined to continue to deny her oxygen. Either way, this is the best environment for her to slowly and steadily work to improve her numbers. Just like we saw with Scott Brown, when the MSM is looking the other way, conservatives who may never have had a chance can actually get their message out. Without the constantly negative anti-conservative messaging of the MSM, the public seems to respond very well to the message of smaller, more responsible government.

inmypajamas on May 6, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Mark Jaquith on May 6, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Troll, you must do better than that to hang out here. What is your reasoning for the ridiculous statement above. And do you really want your real name associated with such stupid statements?

ornery_independent on May 6, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Redneck Woman on May 6, 2011 at 10:25 AM

That’s why instead of being shovel fed by the media, they need to go to places where they can hear the info right from the horse’s mouth.
Like the candidate’s FB page
Tweets
Interviews that are largely unedited for soundbites

In short-use your brain analytically to search for as many unbiased sources as possible with which to form your opinion on that person & THEN vote in the primaries for your man or woman.
And if you are truly conservative, you will realize at some point that SCOTUS appointments are extremely important to this nation & you won’t sit out or vote for the bad guy bcs you’re pouting your man or woman didn’t make it.
I held my nose for McCain. Palin made it a little more palatable.
I would even hold my nose for Huckabee.
‘Course I wouldn’t be lyin’ if I said I’d be throwing up in my mouth on that one.
But I could do it.

Badger40 on May 6, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Mark Jaquith on May 6, 2011 at 10:22 AM

So SCOTUS appointments like Kagan don’t bother you at all?
Think that sort of thing won’t further damage this Republic?

Badger40 on May 6, 2011 at 10:44 AM

As I said above we have never seen Sarah Palin, and her family, wade into retail politicking in in places like Iowa, NH and SC and even Michigan. If you think there is a shortage of people who won’t bond with her in those places, then you forgot the 2008 campaign. That campaign was two months long, this one will be 16 months or so. That campaign had a chunk of her own campaign subverting her, the journolisters hard at work and her inexperience on the national stage. She will need to avoid too many mistakes, raise a lot of money, win debates (did we forget, she’s a pretty good debater), gather powerful interests in the country behind her, but above all win over the American people. It will be her existential moment, and ours.

Viator on May 6, 2011 at 10:44 AM

The problem with attributing Palin’s unpopularity to misogyny is that Trump and Gingrich are widely disliked too but apparently Bachmann is not. (In fact Huckabee is more disliked than Bachmann.) So I don’t know what to make of this poll except that perhaps a lot of voters have celebrity fatigue. Of course Reagan was a comparative celebrity when he was elected. So the handicap is not disabling.

Seth Halpern on May 6, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Mark Jaquith on May 6, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Your link takes me to a page that describes you as a “capitalist and libertarian.” I call bullsh!t.

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I have an idea – let’s have a primary and find out!

massrighty on May 5, 2011 at 8:00 PM

You’re darn tootin’!

ReneePA on May 6, 2011 at 10:57 AM

How many people will fall in love with a real life Rocky Ballboa?

And if you think that story line is not something that would work you haven’t seent he movie.

unseen on May 6, 2011 at 10:58 AM

How many people will fall in love with a real life Rocky Ballboa?

unseen on May 6, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Sylvester Stallone sat on that idea for years before the Bayonne Bleeder went the distance with Ali. Sometimes the best stories are the least plausible.

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 10:59 AM

If all the stars align perfectly, Palin is electable.

I am known for shooting down the silliness that starts when her fans get together. It is so incredibly annoying to me! Sorry.

But I can see circumstances where she may be our best hope this cycle. I think those would be very scary times… but I am not ruling her out all together. We may need her.

I also think she is young enough, and smart enough, if she really wants to be President, she could be, if she would listen to her well meaning critics–like Rove and Krauthammer and others she has pushed away, and become the woman her fans believe her to be.

2012 is not the last election we will ever have.

If Palin works on the things that make her so unpopular, she could emerge as a spectacular candidate in the future.

petunia on May 5, 2011 at 8:02 PM

That is effing hilarious! Listen to Tokyo Rove and Sauerkraut. That is exactly what she needs to not do.

ReneePA on May 6, 2011 at 11:00 AM

inmypajamas on May 6, 2011 at 10:39 AM

since this poll shows show Palin having a 7pt bounce I doubt the MSM will allow Palin to continue to work behind the scences much longer.

unseen on May 6, 2011 at 11:01 AM

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 10:59 AM

My point was more along the lines of American’s loving true grit. And getting behind the cinderella story. Look at the 1980′s USA team or even Clinton the “comeback kid”

American’s like the underdog.

unseen on May 6, 2011 at 11:03 AM

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I will say tho, he writes a fabulous review for tweezers. I’m really contemplaying on buying them.

Badger40 on May 6, 2011 at 11:05 AM

American’s like the underdog.

unseen on May 6, 2011 at 11:03 AM

That was the Bayonne Bleeder. ;-) Sylvester Stallone had the idea for Rocky while he was still doing softcore blue movies in the early 1970′s.

Chuck “The Bayonne Bleeder” Wepner challenged Muhammed Ali for the biggest person Wepner had ever contended for up to that point, and Wepner managed to last until within seconds of the 15th and final round.

My point? Sometimes a real cinderella story is even better than Rocky.”

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Mark Jaquith on May 6, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Not only do I call bullsh!t on the whole “capitalist and libertarian” shibboleth, but the more I find out, the more you seem like a scummy spineless mercantilist worm. “Jaquith the Jacka$$” has kind of a nice ring to it, I think.

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Adrian: It’s suicide. You’ve seen him, you know how strong he is. You can’t win.

unlisted on May 6, 2011 at 11:11 AM

She is well connected in liberal Hollywood? She was President of the actors union? Has she dealt directly with communnists in Hollywood, state government and nationally?

Was she twice elected governor of one of the most diverse states with an economy the size of many countries, did she sucessfully govern during the golden years of that state for eight years? Has she worked tirelessly for decades to promote other canidates and build the party?

After decades of honing both her message, and her delivery of that message, and after several failed attempts at getting the nomination, she is finally ready to become the nominee of her party? And is she already in her seventies?

Honestly, I am sick of people pretending Reagan did not fail and did not learn from his mistakes, for decades! They need to be their own person… we can not clone Reagan! That set of qualifications will never happen again!

Reagan was one of the most qualified people who ever became President.

petunia on May 5, 2011 at 8:36 PM

All very good points. In my opinion Sarah is a much faster study.

ReneePA on May 6, 2011 at 11:11 AM

The only thing that polls like do for me is get me more fired up about SP. I would and will vote for her in a second and so will my wife. I have friends that say she is too extreme so they you know they prefer one of the rino democrats. I really think that if push came to shove people would rally behind her if she were our candidate. If I thought that there was a candidate that might be better than her on substance and real leadership, I might vote for that person instead, but I see no one at the moment that has thrown the hat in the ring.

jistincase on May 6, 2011 at 11:12 AM

She’s not electable. I’d vote for her, but she is toxic with independent voters. (aka uninformed, spineles, apathetic trolls that can be swayed by temper tantrums from activists and the media)

She’ll never win. I hate to be pragmatic, but will have to be. We can’t take four more years of Obama.

moonbat monitor on May 6, 2011 at 11:13 AM

moonbat monitor on May 6, 2011 at 11:13 AM

We can’t take four more years of a spineless wormy Republican president, either. Getting rid of Obama, though a necessary prerequisite, is no bona fide ironclad guaranee that we will have a Republic to save eight years from now.

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 11:15 AM

And the Concern just keeps on coming.

kingsjester on May 6, 2011 at 11:15 AM

moonbat monitor on May 6, 2011 at 11:13 AM

If she runs and wins a primary, those indies will have new information which to evaluate.

Americans love a comeback.

It is too early to say she cannot win.

If she gets into the primaries, and does not do well enough to win anywhere, there will be your answer.

At that point, even I will look elsewhere.

Right now, there is too much time and too much potential to write her off.

Underestimate this woman at your own peril.

Brian1972 on May 6, 2011 at 11:18 AM

There is no denying that Palin has depth of support. But she doesn’t have breatheth. No matter how much you love her you can only vote once.

So depth means nothing. Dedicated workers will not change many minds that are just as deeply against her.

She has depth in both her support and her opposition.

petunia on May 5, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Wrong again. I have a few liberal and libertarian friends who are seriously considering her after having a heart to heart with me. That is what it takes. People talking to each other about the reasons that they are for a candidate rather than against them.

ReneePA on May 6, 2011 at 11:18 AM

And the Concern just keeps on coming.

kingsjester on May 6, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Is that what that smell is? I thought I smelled the dark stink of failure and stupidity, but now that you mention it…

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 11:19 AM

moonbat monitor on May 6, 2011 at 11:13 AM

And what RINO will you be supporting?

idesign on May 6, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Mark Jaquith on May 6, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Why are you trying to pass yourself off as some concerned moderate? I followed your link to your blog. Here are some of your posts:

Here’s one less embarrassing fact about Florida to have to acknowledge.

Florida court overturns state ban on gay adoptions.

Ha! Great Right/Left skewering by The Onion.

“Dad’s great, but listening to all that talk radio has put some weird ideas into his head,” said daughter Samantha, a freshman at Reed College in Portland, OR. “He believes the Constitution allows the government to torture people and ban gay marriage, yet he doesn’t even know that it guarantees universal health care.”

Publisher agrees to remove creationism material from science textbook, for use in Florida schools.

The publishers of a marine-science textbook that critics say contains pro-creationism material has agreed to remove two offending pages from editions sold to Florida schools, state officials said.

This has been a good week for the restoration of sanity to Florida

The Vatican, on freedom of expression, condemning the infamous cartoons that dared to show the face of the Islamic prophet Muhammed (ignominy be upon him):

The freedom of thought and expression, confirmed in the Declaration of Human Rights, can not include the right to offend religious feelings of the faithful.

I suspect they’d still burn people at the stake for expressing such illicit ideas if they could get away with it.

Christine “I am not a witch” O’Donnell reveals just how little she knows about the Constitution:

She’s not a witch. She’s an ignoramus.

All this indicates you are just another libtrard who would vote for Obama regardless. Not exactly a man-bites-dog story, Champ.

Kataklysmic on May 6, 2011 at 11:20 AM

The Repub debate last night was interesting because of the way the candidates took aim @ Mitt but none had the nerve to cast aspersions to SP.

el Vaquero on May 6, 2011 at 11:20 AM

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I was being nice…I could have said b.s.

kingsjester on May 6, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Because I am-and have always been-a tomboy, most of my friends are male. the nastiest people have had to deal with have been almost to a person…other women.
No-I haven’t experienced much sexism.
*shrugs*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 5, 2011 at 8:51 PM

That is like saying blacks can’t be racist. I have experienced a lot of sexism from women. There are a lot of women who can’t stand other women who trigger feelings of inferiority in them.

ReneePA on May 6, 2011 at 11:21 AM

kingsjester on May 6, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Where is all that concern about Paul and Johnson being unelectable? Who other than Paul’s base would vote for him? How many times has he been rejected by not only the GOP but the poplulace in general? Never heard of Johnson but few are whining about how he is unelectable

katiejane on May 6, 2011 at 11:22 AM

katiejane on May 6, 2011 at 11:22 AM

They are not the perceived threat to the Northeast Corridor and Left Coast Elite (i.e., the Elite) that Sarah Palin is.

kingsjester on May 6, 2011 at 11:25 AM

ReneePA on May 6, 2011 at 11:18 AM

You are right. There is another factor.

The actual campaign process itself.

Once she is a declared candidate, there will not be any more “Palin free month” from the media.

They will have to cover what she is doing, and there will be many more opportunities to reach people outside her current base.

Knockout speeches, interviews, debates will be more widely observed, and more people will hear her saying her message than the media either ignoring it or making up some controversy to distract from a successful event.

She can overcome their crap as a candidate.

It will be the biggest story of the year, right up there with Bin Laden getting whacked.

If she begins campaigning in Iowa in a serious way, the media will have to cover it, it will be all over CSPAN and the internet without their commentary.

There is a way.

Brian1972 on May 6, 2011 at 11:25 AM

And let me add that as a strong minded & opinionated woman, I have had a hard time in my career so far bcs of it when if I would have just batted my eyes & turned my head when something wrong was said or done to others &/or myself I could have avoided some of the things I have been through.
But I refuse to be bullied by MEN.
There are a lot of men who look at a woman as ‘less’.
They are still out there.
Hillary is a b!tch & I’ve never liked her, but I bet she had to deal with that crap, too.
And I know things are better.
When it comes to racism, things are also a lot better.
But I have seen my share of racism growing up.
And I STILL see it to this day more often than should be seen.
I also have experienced quite of bit of nasty religious bigotry bcs I’m a Mormon.
I grew up living in very mixed cultures, SoCal for instance.
I never understood what it meant to be ‘white’ bcs it meant nothing to me.
Until I moved to S. IN as a child.
Until I moved to Columbus OH to finish out HS.
These things still exist.
But it’s a lot better now.
That said, I am more & more becoming convinced that something is up with Palin being a woman.
Bcs to me, the hateful spew being launched her way is NOT explained by anything she has ever done.

Badger40 on May 5, 2011 at 8:54 PM

It is a whole variety of factors. She is Christian and unashamed of her values. She walks the walk. She had a Down’s Syndrome child. She has a funny accent. She is a constitutional conservative. Being female is only part of it. They are just gobsmacked by the utter nerve of her to be herself and not apologize for it.

ReneePA on May 6, 2011 at 11:26 AM

ReneePA on May 6, 2011 at 11:26 AM

+100

idesign on May 6, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I understand your attitude about victimization.
I share that feeling.
But I have never been necessarily a victim of it, rather a fighter of being a victim.
But there are lots of women being treated these ways.
It has happened many times to my own daughter in the workplace, at several workplaces.
She’s just like me, strongly opniionated & very vocal about it.
This may attract sexist pigs.
I have considered that.

Badger40 on May 5, 2011 at 9:11 PM

I prefer the word survivor. The victim/perpetrator paradigm is very limiting.

ReneePA on May 6, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Interesting. I’m surprised you admit that. Most ABPs won’t as easily relinquish the meme that she can’t win becasue Moderates won’t voter for her and instead betray that they will make her potential loss a self fulfilling prophecy to prove they weren’t wrong for stamping their feet about her. *post bookmarked*

Kataklysmic on May 5, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Yup. Cause it’s all about being right rather than saving the republic.

ReneePA on May 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM

ReneePA on May 6, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Great points lady!

Badger40 on May 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Great points lady!

Badger40 on May 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM

I just hate to see people of integrity maligned. I particularly hate to see women mistreated. I would like to see a return to chivalry in this country. Girls need strong women with self respect to look up to. Boys need that too. We need to support people with integrity who have the record to prove it. That is the bottom line.

ReneePA on May 6, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Kataklysmic on May 5, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Wow.
Boy that’s the way to do things allright.
And is there any wonder why America is in the toilet?

Badger40 on May 6, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I wish she was, but Obamas propaganda machine (the MSM) put a nail in that coffin long ago

Greed on May 6, 2011 at 11:45 AM

ReneePA on May 6, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I agree.

Greed on May 6, 2011 at 11:45 AM

So you agree that giving up when meanies say bad things about you & ruin your reputation is the papropriate course to follow?
For heaven’s sake.
That is ridiculous.

Badger40 on May 6, 2011 at 11:47 AM

So let’s look at this from a primary stand point. Palin enters the race. she does well in Ia maybe 1st or 2nd possibly even third. the race moves to NH Mitt cleans up Palin does maybe 3rd or 4th. the race moves to SC she does very well 1st or 2nd. MB at this stage getting less than 5% of the vote drops out. the majority of those votes go back to Palin. Trump doesn’t run or drops up some of those votes go to Palin. Newt getting less than 10% in all three races drops out his votes will be evenly spaced, the other candidates start dropping away. the race goes to 3 main caniddates huck, Mitt and Palin. the MI primary occures Mitt and Palin do well huck finishes a sad 3rd NV happens again Mitt and Palin finish one and two. Does Huck dstay in it at that point knowing that the longer he stays in the more chance Mitt his arch enemy has of winning or does he drop out and endorse Gov Palin? If so the race comes down to a 2 person race. Mitt is not a closer. He can’t make the final sale. The more races Palin wins comes in close too the more she appears to be electable and the less the “she can’t win meme works” the more people pay attention to policy and positions and character. The more the left does its operation chaos and votes for Gov Palin thinking she will be the best candidate to run against Obama.

Once she secures the nomination she starts with 40% to Obama’s 40% of the partisan vote. the question then becomes if she can get 11% of that 20%? With the meme of she can’t win no longer coming from the right. (unless of course ROve and CK et all decide to throw the election) then it becomes about Obama not about Palin.

unseen on May 6, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Wow.
Boy that’s the way to do things allright.
And is there any wonder why America is in the toilet?

Badger40 on May 6, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Something else interesting about TheBlueSite’s revelation is that he is inadvertantly sabotaging the rino establishment’s already prepared excuse for when their milqutoast candidate is inevitiably decimated: We would have won if teh Palinistas hadn’t stayed home!!1!11!

With comments like his, the rino side hands us the same excuse on a silver platter if Palin doesn’t win.

Kataklysmic on May 6, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Greed on May 6, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Hey guys! Here’s another spineless worm who’s letting “Obama’s propaganda machine” determine who they’ll vote for!

/MercilessMocking

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Greed on May 6, 2011 at 11:45 AM

But they won’t do that to any other candidates, right? Because they are totally fine packing up and heading back to Chicago after one term as long as is wasn’t Palin that beat them, yeah? /

Kataklysmic on May 6, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Greed on May 6, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Huh? Obama’s propaganda machine will be used against whoever the GOP nominee is. Palin has nowhere to go but up and up she’ll go if she enters the race and starts campaigning.

All others have nowhere to go but down.

darwin on May 6, 2011 at 11:51 AM

All others have nowhere to go but down.

darwin on May 6, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Think about it, people. If Obama’s propaganda machine is the reason you won’t vote for Sarah Palin (especially in the primaries), then the propaganda machine worked on you!

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 11:52 AM

unseen on May 6, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Good analysis. I could easily see it unfolding like that. Huck will definitely endorse Palin if it plays out the way you have stated. Rove/Will/Krauthammer’s response if she wins the nomination will be the wild card.

Kataklysmic on May 6, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Greed on May 6, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Day by day, more and more Americans realize that the lame stream media is in the tank for Obama. If you believe the media, than Obama’s poll numbers would be at 90%.

Get a grip Sparky….

idesign on May 6, 2011 at 11:54 AM

For heaven’s sake.
That is ridiculous.

Badger40 on May 6, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Yes it is ridiculous, but unfortunately that’s the way politics will be from now on.
Unless the conservative candidate has steel cajones/backbone and thick/tuff skin, they won’t have a chance.
Tell me now…just how many conservative politicians are made up of that?

tencole on May 6, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Greed on May 6, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Daaang, do you always let the “MSM” pick who you want to vote for?…cuz man, it sure sounds like it.
You need to tuff it up man and stick to who/what you believe in.

tencole on May 6, 2011 at 11:59 AM

You need to tuff it up man and stick to who/what you believe in.

tencole on May 6, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Worms, I tell you. All worms. No spine.

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Kataklysmic on May 6, 2011 at 11:53 AM

yes the establishment’s response will be key. If they do a Odonnell temper fit then Palin will have to pick up more Reagan dems than she loses from GOP RINO’s which I can see happening……

unseen on May 6, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I would love to see her run, win or lose just to see little O sweat, the MSM, and RINOs go stark raving mad when she sucks all the O2 out of the field.Thin Skin will have sleepless nites and go to 2 packs a day.

I am not a racist on May 6, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I think Sarah Palin can WIN in 2012, and if she throws her hat in to the ring, I will contribute to her campaign and support her fully.

zoyclem on May 6, 2011 at 12:08 PM

I would vote for Palin in a heartbeat over Barack Obama!

She couldn’t have done a worse job than he has done if she had tried and I certainly wouldn’t be questioning her loyalty to this country.

SgtRed on May 6, 2011 at 12:11 PM

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 11:52 AM

They’re not thinking.
Everyone is so worried about what a candidate will look like to the media that they are not basing their support on what they should be like:
Where the candidate stands on the issues
What they have done
Leadership ability
etc…
Why is it so hard for people to do their own research & thinking without parroting some line from the media?
I love HA analysis, but I certainly don’t take it as gospel.
When there’s a video & a transcript, I try & take it upon myself to actually view the video & then read the transcript.
Bah WTH am I saying.
People who call themselves ‘Indies’ from my experience are often fence sitters who couldn’t make a decision to save their own lives about anything.
Spineless indeed.

Badger40 on May 6, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Spineless indeed.

Badger40 on May 6, 2011 at 12:13 PM

The problem with sitting on the fence is that you can only do it so long before your ass gets sore.

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 12:14 PM

unseen on May 6, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I agree. I have made the case before that she picks up a lot more straight up Dems than she does moderates or Independants. People willing to call themselves Democrats and link themsleves to a set of beliefs (albeit misguided) already have more backbone than moderates. Most Democrats primary objective is to have government improve their lives whereas moderates top concern is avoiding criticism. Some Democrats will ask themselves if they are better off than they were 4 years ago when they are in that voting booth.

Kataklysmic on May 6, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Q-Poll: Is Sarah Palin unelectable?

This is just a transparent attempt by the left-wing media to select the Republican candidate…..again!!!

It is obvious that Sarah Palin is the opponent the left fears most!!!

…and this poll merely shows that Palin could never receive nomination for president as the DEMOCRAT candidate!!!

landlines on May 6, 2011 at 12:18 PM

/MercilessMocking

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Really? Do you really not see the connection? Anyone who votes against Sarah in the primary will more than likely vote for her in the general if she wins. I know I will. That is when the MSM will go into full Attack Sarah mode. And with her being a quitter, the MSM doesn’t have to make anything up. They’ll just report that she abdicated the governorship and that will be that. No explanations that she saved her family and state blah, blah, blah. The indies will not seek out Hot Air, unseen, gryphon, and the other Palinista’s. Voila’! Obama gets another 4 more years.

csdeven on May 6, 2011 at 12:23 PM

No poll on her means anything until she declares and hits the trail. I do think her hiatus from the media was designed to let some of the negative emotion that surrounds her cool.

pgrossjr on May 6, 2011 at 12:29 PM

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 10:56 AM

And your link takes me to a wannabe blogger/radio talkshow host who is in his 50′s, lives in his Mom’s basement and has 20 cats. Enjoy reading your comments on every Palin post, though… very entertaining :)

jdoubleu on May 6, 2011 at 12:30 PM

jdoubleu on May 6, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Wrong, sir. I am in my 30′s, live in my own apartment, am an entrepreneur in addition to working a manufacutring job, and I own no pets — cats or otherwise. As for my punditry ambitions, they went out the door months ago when I got my current day job. Good guess, tho.

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Sarah Palin’s reputation among Independent voters was hurt by her poor performance in the interview with Katie Couric, and by her resigning the Governorship of Alaska without really being forced to do so (people might wonder whether she can handle the pressure of being President).

It may be possible to overcome the Katie Couric interview with some positive interviews where she presents herself as well-informed, but if she gains traction in the GOP primaries, she will have to explain WHY she resigned the Governorship, and work hard to win the trust of Independent voters.

Also, many of the candidates she endorsed in 2010 (Christine O’Donnell, Sharron Angle, even Joe Miller in her home state) lost Senate elections in winnable states, so people might have serious questions about whether she can relate to Independent voters in “purple” or swing states, which are crucial to winning the Presidency.

On the positive side, the rapid rise of oil prices plays straight into the issue Sarah Palin knows best, as former Governor and member of the Oil and Gas Commission of an oil-producing state, and this issue could resonate with voters struggling to fill their tanks and heat their homes. If she does not win the GOP primary, she could strongly help the GOP nominee by offering to serve as Secretary of the Interior or Energy in his Administration.

Steve Z on May 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM

They’re not thinking.
Where the candidate stands on the issues
What they have done
Leadership ability
etc…
I love HA analysis, but I certainly don’t take it as gospel.
Bah WTH am I saying.
Spineless indeed.

Badger40 on May 6, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I am an independent who votes Republican because it is the lesser of two evils. Not all independents are squishy fence sitters.

ReneePA on May 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM

csdeven on May 6, 2011 at 12:23 PM

So the Media will only mercilessly attack Sarah? No other condendors who have much works black marks against them? Is your position that The media is fine if a Republican wins as long as it isn’t Palin? If so, why? How do they suffer under her more than a Huckabee or a Romney?

Kataklysmic on May 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM

csdeven on May 6, 2011 at 12:23 PM

I stand by my statement. Saying “I don’t agree with the propagand machine, but…” does not mean that the propaganda machine failed to work. It just makes a person a spineless belly-crawling worm,

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 12:33 PM

<blockquotegryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Your day job? Posting on HA?

jdoubleu on May 6, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Your day job? Posting on HA?

jdoubleu on May 6, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Rotating shifts, Champ.

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Kataklysmic on May 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Sure they will, but Huckabigot and Romney are RINO’s…and even though they will attack them also, the indies prefer the RINO’s to real conservatives. And Romneycare wont hurt him as much as we think. The Tea Party and other conservatives hate healthcare, but our idiot indie neighbors don’t. They want the free ride. And Romney take a position on both sides. He will reject it on a national basis, but support it for each stats that decides they want it. He’ll promise federal dollars to help each state.

Then those of us who will not vote for Obama under any circumstances have to maker a choice. Vote 3rd party and hand Obama 4 more years, vote for a RINO and possible defeat Obama, or sit at home and give Obama 4 more years to appoint radical progressive justices to the SCOTUS. The Palinista’s will promptly cut off their noses to spite their face and then live with a activist SCOTUS for the next 20 years.

csdeven on May 6, 2011 at 12:44 PM

csdeven on May 6, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Project much? That sounds exactly like her detractors when they say she can’t win for reasons that have nothing to do with principle. And if there’s anything that history has proven time-and-again, it’s that electing Republicans is no guarantee of liberty — at all. Ever.

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 12:46 PM

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 12:33 PM

The indies don’t care what names you call them. They will refuse to vote for a quitter and view you Palinista’s as radical and delusional.

See, you have two hopes when it comes to Sarah and the MSM.

1) The MSM will leave her alone.
2) The MSM will accurately report all the details surrounding her abdication of the governorship. I’m sure they will call you for the real story.

csdeven on May 6, 2011 at 12:48 PM

nothing to do with principle.

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 12:46 PM

To repeat this to you for about the hundredth time……abdication of ones job IS a matter of principle. A HUGE one for most Americans.

csdeven on May 6, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Kataklysmic on May 6, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I’ve been saying that for a long time now.
To those independents, I say…pick a side dang it, and stay there.
If you don’t stand for something…you’ll fall for anything.

tencole on May 6, 2011 at 12:51 PM

csdeven on May 6, 2011 at 12:48 PM

If wanting to maintain freedom makes me radical and delusional, then I plead guilty. You are starting with the premise that we need to pander to “indies,” and I reject that out-of-hand.

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 12:52 PM

And Romneycare wont hurt him as much as we think.

csdeven on May 6, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Romneycare won’t hurt him with hardcore libs, about 20% of the electorate, but it is going to hurt him with everyone else. But let’s say for argument’s sake that you are right and Romneycare won’t hurt him, let me tell you what will:

As soon as he gets the nomination expect every major news outlet to have “suddenly discovered” that the Mormon church didn’t allow Blacks to hold the Priesthood until 1978 and *gasp* the human Kendoll/posterboy for the aryan race who wants to dethrone our first black president is a Mormon. Throw in the fact that his candidacy puts the south in play and you have the makings of an electoral bloodbath.

(Full disclosure: I am a Mormon who supported Mitt in 2008 when there were no good alternatives)

Kataklysmic on May 6, 2011 at 12:53 PM

csdeven on May 6, 2011 at 12:50 PM

But Maurice Clemmons and Romneycare aren’t as important to people, eh? No one’s going to care about Mitch Daniels’ “truce?” No one’s perfect, but Palin’s the best defender of liberty we can hope for. If her resignation is more important to you than the warts on the other candidates’ records, and if indeed it all leads to another four years for Obama, I won’t shed a single tear for you spineless worms who didn’t stand up for liberty.

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 12:54 PM

moonbat monitor on May 6, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Oh..I see.
I guess that means we need for vote for the same people that these “uninformed, spineless, apethetic trolls that can be swayed by temper tantrums, independants” are gonna vote for.

Seriously, you need to grow a spine and make a stand for what you believe in.

tencole on May 6, 2011 at 12:55 PM

And Romneycare wont hurt him as much as we think.

csdeven on May 6, 2011 at 12:44 PM

So you’d vote for a socialized medicine advocate over Sarah Palin. Or you think a majority of undecided Americans would. I view that as rather insulting to the “indies,” but whatever.

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 12:56 PM

csdeven on May 6, 2011 at 12:50 PM

And by the by, my choice of briefs over boxers is also a matter of principle. But it’s not one I would make an issue of for a presidential candidate.

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 1:00 PM

csdeven on May 6, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I’m glad you feel you have your finger on the pulse of “indies” and America. Palin’s political victims also felt they had their finger on the pulse of the voter.

The more I read your comments the more I think you picked the right site to comment on … Hot Air.

darwin on May 6, 2011 at 1:02 PM

csdeven on May 6, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Do you actually think that I care what those wishy washy independents think? I am sooo sick of the politicians cow towing to them and giving them the power they don’t deserve.

Stick to your beliefs…they won’t fail you.

tencole on May 6, 2011 at 1:06 PM

If Our ‘Food Stamp Recovery’ Persists, Obama Will Lose Big

“On a political level, the blame for the recovery goes entirely to President Obama. Indeed, looking at the polls on his handling of the economy, you can see that he is already taking the heat.

And so, we can lay down the following marker: if the economic recovery does not begin to show substantial improvement, the likes of which we have not really seen in the last two years, and if the GOP nominates a reasonably acceptable alternative, this president is going to lose in 2012, and the final result will not be close. Nobody gets reelected with employment way down, real income way down, and 14 percent of his fellow citizens on food stamps. Nobody.”
Jay Cost, The Weekly Standard

Viator on May 6, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Amjean on May 6, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Perfect!….can I steal it?

tencole on May 6, 2011 at 1:07 PM

If Our ‘Food Stamp Recovery’ Persists, Obama Will Lose Big

Viator on May 6, 2011 at 1:06 PM

The ease with which Obama can be defeated in 2012 (and let’s be honest; by Sarah Palin or anyone else) is not a cause for celebration. We should think long and hard about the possibilities we might replace him with.

gryphon202 on May 6, 2011 at 1:09 PM

csdeven on May 6, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Interesting – Indies voted for an unqualified Obama who bailed on his Senate job based on personal ambition but will refuse to vote for Palin who quit her Governship rather than be personally bankrupted? And somehow I’m supposed t consider them good arbiters of who is honorable? And in an effort to pander to these Indies the GOP is supposed to ignore any principles they have? I guess then none of us will end up with who we want.

katiejane on May 6, 2011 at 1:11 PM