Oh my: Release of Obama birth certificate cuts number of Birthers in half

posted at 9:58 pm on May 5, 2011 by Allahpundit

The good news: It’s a heavy blow to the Trump boomlet. The bad news: … none that I can think of, really.

Actually, the bad news is that I lose a vein of easy content to blog. Help me, viral videos, you’re my only hope.

More crosstabs from WaPo. The “Honolulu/Hawaii” column is the big one, obviously:

This poll was conducted before Obama’s announcement of the Bin Laden killing, in case you’re inclined to attribute the huge bounce to goodwill rather than evidence. Needless to say, the key lines are the ones for Republicans and Conservative Republicans; in both groups, the number of Birthers was cut by more than half after the birth certificate revelation. (In fact, it was likely deeper than that. Birtherism had been spiking in the last few weeks since Trump mainstreamed the issue, so it was probably higher than the April 2010 numbers shown here.) I argued a few weeks ago that, contrary to big media’s received wisdom, Birthers aren’t a homogeneous group but rather a mix of hardcore and softcore believers, the latter of which were simply misinformed because they weren’t following the issue closely. These numbers bear that out. Which, for Chris Matthews, means … what? Republicans are racist, but maybe not quite as racist as he thought? What happens to the narrative?

Some people were hassling me in Headlines over this poll because I suggested yesterday in the post about the Bin Laden photos that evidence doesn’t convince skeptics anymore. Fair enough; at the very least, I should have qualified that by specifying that I meant skeptics with an agenda. But give the Birther issue time. I’ll be mighty keen to see if the numbers still look like this in six months — which, theoretically, they should — or if they start to creep back up as discontent with Obama’s policies rises and/or hardcore Birthers regroup and start challenging the long-form birth certificate. Trump had better hope so. Somehow, I don’t see the “trade war with China” platform carrying him to the nomination.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Obama was the first president in a hundred years with a noncitizen parent. There are only two qualifications for the presidency. It is completely rational for people to want to see his birth certificate to verify his eligibility, and to wonder why he refused for four years to release it.

alwaysfiredup on May 5, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Quite infuriating the disrespect liberals showed to those insisting on constitutional verification under Obama’s unusual and untransparent circumstances. Strange for instance why his now dead grandmother said he was born in Kenya… why???

If the new copy is fake, at least Obama had to get enough people together to fake it that he’ll be at risk for the rest of his life of being discovered, (and prosecuted for treason with the consequences thereof).

I consider the issue over unless somebody confesses they helped him forge his short or long form and has proof to back it up.

scotash on May 6, 2011 at 3:17 PM

scotash on May 6, 2011 at 3:17 PM

I want to see his school records.

Roy Rogers on May 6, 2011 at 3:29 PM

cane_loader on May 6, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Thank you for an excellent comment. I’m in the same situation, the BC was released on my 10th wedding anniversary and I’ve been gone, and quite busy too. When I was able to catch up on comments, I have been so disgusted with this whole process that I haven’t been commenting. It is unbelievable to me that everyone would take anything from this administration at face value. And of course, the anti-birther people have been their usual a-hole selves.

I am glad that a BC was released, but I will not believe it to be kosher until is it verified by outside experts. As with everything else these liars and thieves do, this was hinky and reeks of BS. I’m not a computer expert, but the first time I saw the BC on whitehouse.gov, I thought things looked very off.

Also, this BC would prove that BO is not natural born since his father was not even a citizen or on track to be one.

My final point is why if this is the BC and nothing on it is strange, why was it the only page missing for Ann’s divorce records? Why are the kindergarten records, which would contain a BC, being withheld?

mrsmwp on May 6, 2011 at 3:39 PM

ap: “evidence doesn’t convince skeptics anymore. Fair enough; at the very least, I should have qualified that by specifying that I meant skeptics with an agenda.”

I disagree with you on that, AP. Who and what can be trusted anymore? The government? Not likely. Show me an example of them not lying to us. Academia? Yeah right. Not when fraud and deceit are what pass for academic research. The news media? Please, don’t make me laugh ’till I choke.

Skeptics have every reason not to trust one piece of “evidence” if it isn’t backed up by similar evidence from disinterested parties.

That said, I am not a birther. I don’t care, but I do think it is a constitutional issue, and the courts were criminally negligent in dismissing it. Every judge who dismissed it should be impeached and disbarred for life.

woodNfish on May 6, 2011 at 3:49 PM

THIS I CAN believe:

Obama DID NOT order Osama hit

Roy Rogers on May 6, 2011 at 4:43 PM

scotash on May 6, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Pretty good proof, here that the BC is a fraud: http://www.youtube.com/user/orangegold1#p/u/3/7s9StxsFllY

TXUS on May 6, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Anybody notice that Duh Donald has gone all quiet?

Let’s see:
*Release of birth certificate shows Trump to be a lying jerk.
*His total humiliation at the correspondent’s dinner.
*Best of all, his crap show is preempted because the President has to announce that OBL had been found and killed.

Trump is a foolish windbag who’s been totally pwned. I suspect he will hole up in one of his properties, consoling his comb-over. He won’t mess with Obama again, that’s for sure. As the saying goes: “You mess with the bull, you get the horn.”
Just ask Duh Donald.

chumpThreads on May 6, 2011 at 11:06 PM

I wonder how long it will take the trolls to show up?

DiogenesLamp on May 5, 2011 at 10:04 PM

What kind of trolls – the Birthers?

AprilOrit on May 7, 2011 at 2:05 AM

chumpThreads on May 6, 2011 at 11:06 PM

AprilOrit on May 7, 2011 at 2:05 AM

No. You two. Catching the late shift tonight? You must be paid less, which is exactly what you’re worth.

Opinionator on May 7, 2011 at 2:55 AM

Amazing power of a long form BC. According to the Left the birthers were all racists but now the release of the BC has cut that bigotry in half. Who’d a thunk it would be that easy to wipe out racism. Maybe if BO released his academic records the birther count would go down to zero. /

katiejane on May 7, 2011 at 2:06 PM

How exactly was he pwned? He said that Obama should release his BC, and Obama did. That sounds like power to me.

Trump showed himself to be a liar. Did we ever see the report from his “investigators”? Trump was saying that the bc “might be missing”.
He was counting on the long form not being released and when Obama released it, pwned Trump for a liar and a fraud.
Honestly, you couldn’t figure that out?

I think the media and liberals are more delusional about the birthers about this supposed pwning.

blink on May 7, 2011 at 9:38 AM

The delusional ones were those who thought Trump was actually serious and that Obama was somehow “worried” about him. Instead, the President sat at the correspondents dinner laughing at that lame buffoon, while Trump looked like a constipated twerp.

As I said, he’s gone all quiet now. He knows he’s been put in his place. Sure, he’ll be back in a few months with some other cheap publicity ploy, and the marks like you will flock to him. But he will never challenge President Obama again.

Any questions?

chumpThreads on May 7, 2011 at 6:24 PM

I wonder how long it will take the trolls to show up?

DiogenesLamp on May 5, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Looks like the first one showed up on May 5 at 10:04p

chumpThreads on May 7, 2011 at 6:39 PM

How many MONTHS have we heard that Obama’s so-called
“birth certificate” “was already released”…

So why has he “released” ANOTHER image/document/fascimile?

Questions that will never be addressed with a lucid response from the crew who can’t keep their stories straight.

Note that BOTH these alleged “birth certificates” are not Birth Certificates at all. No state seals on either. No form identification on the second (Left-Margin form information is missing, not to mention a myriad of other form-failures and information/forgery issues on the second one, especially).

Interestingly, Bobby Jindal released HIS Certificate of Live Birth last week and it bears that very title (and has a state seal on it, clearly visible AND legible on the reproductions of that document) and neither of Obama’s alleged “birth certificates” bear that appropriate title nor seal/s and I could go on and on and on but no amount of information is adequate to reach certain people stuck on stupid about a guy in the Presidency who is almost certainly not Constitutionally eligible to be there.

I REALIZE that this is an issue that the GOP political class people don’t consider to be politically useful and is therefore, in their views, to their methods, is to be politically suppressed.

What I don’t get is why those types have to denigrate citizens whose complaints about these Constitutional (and national security) concerns are well explained and well supported by specifics.

For some who claim to think this issue is to be banished from all discussions, the Right/Libertarian types sure do like to mention it every week dozens of times each.

Lourdes on May 7, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Hey, Big Brains: if it’s accurate that “Barack Hussein Obama” at birth was adopted by Lolo Soetoro in/from Indonesia (and then became Barry Soetoro by adoption proceeding, which IS proven as to that identity used on legal documents such as education records in Indonesia)…THEN WHATEVER IS **IN THE COMPUTER IN HAWAII** is only as “current” and as consistent as what the adoption amended.

Thus, whatever has been printed out or obtained from computer records in HI is not the original birth record.

Whatever happened to that “Birth Certificate” that Barack Obama — in his book — says he “found” in his grandmother’s house? Why hasn’t he just shown THAT? Why send some special employee to fly to/from Hawaii to summon up some third document (first one, one he found in the box of things at grannies, second one, the one we were told was “the birth certificate” but now is admitted not to be, and the third one this thing from the last week or so).

Seems like it’d been far easier to simply reproduce whatever Barack wrote about in his book, that he found in the box of things at grannies. What’s the deal with THAT “birth certificate”?

Lourdes on May 7, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Lourdes on May 7, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Why don’t you ask Trump? I’m sure his team of “investigators” is all over it.

But why bother? You will reject a thousand birth certificates because the truth doesn’t matter to you.

chumpThreads on May 7, 2011 at 11:54 PM

blink on May 8, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Since you seem to be a Trump apologist…he also said his investigators had found things, shocking things they could not believe.

So where are those shocking revelations?

NextGen on May 8, 2011 at 11:16 AM

If that’s what Trump said then why didn’t chump claim that Trump said that? What exactly did Trump say?

Nice deflection..but you didn’t answer the question. Trump said his investigators had uncovered shocking information, information the could not believe.

Again I will ask, if that is true, where is this shocking information?

NextGen on May 8, 2011 at 4:28 PM