My Pet Meme

posted at 12:40 pm on May 4, 2011 by Mitch Berg

Few of the Democrats’ 9/11 memes irritated me more over the years than the one in which Michael Moore cavorted and romped like an obese sweaty pixie for all these years; that George W. Bush was distracted and incompetent because after he got the news about 9/11, he finished reading My Pet Goat to a bunch of first-graders…

…while his staff frantically figured out what was going on.

The kids to whom he read – now juniors in high school – are finally getting their say:

There has rarely been a starker juxtaposition of evil and innocence than the moment President George W. Bush received the news about 9/11 while reading The Pet Goat with second-graders in Sarasota, Florida.

Seven-year-olds can’t understand what Islamic terrorism is all about. But they know when an adult’s face is telling them something is very wrong — and none of the students sitting in Sandra Kay Daniels’ class at Emma E. Booker Elementary School that morning can forget the sudden, devastated change in Bush’s expression when White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card whispered the terrible news of the Al Qaeda attack. Lazaro Dubrocq’s heart started racing because he assumed they were all in big trouble — with no less than the Commander-in-Chief — but he wasn’t quite sure why. “In a heartbeat he leaned back and he looked flabbergasted, shocked, horrified,” recalls Dubrocq, now 17. “I was baffled. I mean, did we read something wrong? Was he mad or disappointed in us?”

I’ve always felt – with good reason – that the Democrats who ragged on Bush for finishing the story also believed that government works like an episode of  West Wing or 24; that omnipotently competent bureaucrats always have instant real-life knowedge of everything that goes on around them, that they can zoom in on everything that happens across the land and instantly make perfectly-calibrated decisions.

Real life, even at the highest level of government, isn’t like that.  Especially when an unprecedented situation like 9/11 is breaking out.  Nobody in the Federal Government knew what was going on on 9/11, and it showed; at one point there were reports of as many as six hijackings, and a bomb blast at the State Department, among many others.

And one of the things a leader does is keep things in perspective while chaos is breaking out all around him.

All sorts of similar kid fears started running through Mariah Williams’ head. “I don’t remember the story we were reading — was it about pigs?” says Williams, 16. “But I’ll always remember watching his face turn red. He got really serious all of a sudden. But I was clueless. I was just seven. I’m just glad he didn’t get up and leave because then I would have been more scared and confused.” Chantal Guerrero, 16, agrees: even today she’s grateful that Bush regained his composure and stayed with the students until The Pet Goat was finished. “I think the President was trying to keep us from finding out,” says Guerrero, “so we all wouldn’t freak out.”

I’ve often wondered – what did the Dems think the President was supposed to do in the opening seconds of the war?  Jump up, run to the Presidential limo, and order an attack on…someone, somewhere?  Tell NORAD to scramble planes (they do that on their own, although on 9/11 they weren’t equipped to track aircraft inside the US)?

Or keep his composure and not send everyone around him – a classroom full of first-graders – into a blind panic until he actually had something to act on?

Even if they didn’t freak out, it’s apparent that sharing the terrifying Tuesday of 9/11 with Bush has affected those second-graders in the decade since — and, they say, made the news of Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden’s killing by U.S. commandos on Sunday all the more meaningful. Dubrocq, now a junior at Riverview High School in Sarasota, doubts he’d be a student in the rigorous IB, or international baccalaureate program, if he hadn’t been with the President as one of history’s most infamous global events unfolded. “Because of that,” he says, “I came to realize as I grew up that the world is a much bigger place, and that there are differing opinions about us out there, not all of them good.”

The whole piece is worth a read.

A pity Time magazine couldn’t have run it, say, six years ago…

Cross-posted at Shot In The Dark.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I don’t believe that Bush was for all intents and purposes trapped in the classroom for seven minutes because the secret service had to secure his exit. I think it’s utter BS.

Tom_Shipley on May 4, 2011 at 3:05 PM

But you still haven’t answered my question:

Mr. Shipley, given
a) a situation wherein no one really knew what and where was safe; and
b) the fact that the Secret Service were not ready for his departure

please tell us how long it you think it should take the Secret Service to prepare the president’s safe exit from that classroom?

Religious_Zealot on May 4, 2011 at 3:33 PM

hillbillyjim on May 4, 2011 at 3:01 PM
CurtZHP on May 4, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Thanks.

Esthier on May 4, 2011 at 3:39 PM

bifidis on May 4, 2011 at 1:56 PM

YOU should know better than to use “limp” in any of your comments.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Thanks.

Esthier on May 4, 2011 at 3:39 PM

You are very welcome, although no thanks are necessary. Your exemplary behavior here has earned you the respect of many, I’m sure.

hillbillyjim on May 4, 2011 at 3:41 PM

He sucked then. He sucks now. The only ones who feel better about him are the limp-wristed Hummer drivers still rocking Bush-Cheney bumper stickers.

You voted for Odogma didn’t you?

wtng2fish on May 4, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Again, hijacked planes were in the air and on their way to their targets. Seconds mattered at that moment in time, especially considering Bush was the only one who could have ordered jets to shoot down one of those planes if it came to that.

Tom_Shipley on May 4, 2011 at 2:43 PM

And where exactly were the Air Force planes that would be required to shoot the planes down coming from? The scrambled F-16′s that arrived over NYC arrived too late to prevent the attacks on the towers although they were immediatley ordered to proceed to the airspace over the city after the first plane hit. The planes that scrambled to respond the the plane that hit the Pentagon came from Langley AFB, about 140 miles southeast of DC. They did not and could not arrive in time either. The only hijacked aitliner that could have and would have been shot down per Bush’s order was flight 93 and it crashed as the passengers attempted to regain control of the plane. To the best of my knowledge there is no “warp drive” on military warplanes nor “worm holes” that allow for them to travel thousands of miles in a few seconds. To argue that Bush’s immediate response would have changed anything is like pissing into a hurricane hoping to slow down the wind.

sdd on May 4, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I absolutely agree. But we only know that in hindsight.

Tom_Shipley on May 4, 2011 at 3:14 PM

I guess you can’t appreciate the irony of applying your own hindsight in juding Bush’s actions that morning.

The simple fact is that no one knew exactly what was going on and no one knew how extensive the problem was at that point. In that precious 7 minutes, there’s not a single order that Bush could have issued. Shoot down the planes? He was in no position to send out such an order. What planes? Where? Which planes are a danger? How do you know? Ground all of the planes? What’s the situation?

The best thing the President could do is to sit tight. Let the secret service set up his departure (there would be every reason to think that Bush was a target himself that morning), set up the lines of communication with the cabinet. Is the Secretary of Defense available? Where is he? How about the Secretary of Transportation?

Clearly you’ve never been in an executive position because if you were, you’d know that sometimes the best thing is for the executive to stay out of the way and let people do their jobs. Get your information correct and get your people in place to act upon it.

PackerBronco on May 4, 2011 at 3:49 PM

sdd on May 4, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Well said, friend. I don’t recognize the handle, so I’ll say a big howdy and welcome.

Your effort, however, is sadly wasted, as Tom_Shitley has obviously jumped the shark. It’s rather sad, really. He used to make some worthy arguments; now he is reduced to this.

hillbillyjim on May 4, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Religious_Zealot on May 4, 2011 at 3:33 PM, um, 16 hours?

SilentWatcher on May 4, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I can’t believe we’ve outed the GOATERS!!

Conspiracy kooks!

darclon on May 4, 2011 at 3:53 PM

hillbillyjim on May 4, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Depends on who you ask. I do have my fair share of… let’s just say “detractors”.

Esthier on May 4, 2011 at 3:54 PM

bifidis on May 4, 2011 at 1:50 PM

I think this is “The Race Card”, banned some months ago for over-the-top racial demagoguing and general regional hatred. It had a habit of denigrating southerners and worked as a bartender in a gay bar in Buckhead, a yuppie enclave of NW Atlanta.
Remember it? I think it was good pals with crrsox but could never be open-minded enough to admit its bias.

ExpressoBold on May 4, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Tom shiply is just doing what others are doing. Taking something , making it into an issue of character and competence and because its against someone people like they are defending it. If Obama had sat there for seven minutes and read a book no one here would ne defending him. That’s what is being done with 16HoursGate. None of usim not sure why the left is always derided for these unfair and uninformed attacks when its being done right now. Maybe more of u need to run for president. U seem to have all the answers and know what to do,how to do it,and how much time is allowed for it

Magnus on May 4, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Esthier on May 4, 2011 at 3:54 PM

It’s all good. I’m sure I’ve PO’d more than my share of folks over the years.

I’m sure that I’ve disagreed with you before as well; however, it is a worthy trait to be able to disagree without being disagreeable.

hillbillyjim on May 4, 2011 at 4:03 PM

sdd on May 4, 2011 at 3:43 PM

You know, the Jets that are ready to fly as fast as starting your Chevy Volt and pulling out of your driveway. /s

Most people do not understand how long it takes to just do a pre-flight inspection. Before 9/11 we were at a peace time footing and we did not have a Combat Air Patrol (CAP) over the United States. It takes dozens of pilots, hundreds of ground crew to maintain the CAP above an aircraft carrier that is only a couple of acres.

barnone on May 4, 2011 at 4:03 PM

ExpressoBold on May 4, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Dead wrong. He was a highly educated, black, conservative, from LA, who loved to tweak the left and the right.

It’s really a shame that he’s no longer here.

bifidis is a mental gnat compared to TRC.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Meanwhile….Obama spend 16 hours wondering what to do with Osama…what a contrast….7 minutes, 16 hours, it is laughable that these liberal fools take up this argument today…

right2bright on May 4, 2011 at 4:11 PM

bifidis is a mental gnat compared to TRC.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2011 at 4:03 PM

So he was here for his own amusement, huh? Just toying with the hoi-polloi, I take it? Why did he get banned, then, if he was such a genial “tweaker of the left and right.” You do agree that he got the ban hammer, right?

ExpressoBold on May 4, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2011 at 4:03 PM

I agree strongly. TRC had a large chip on his shoulder concerning certain subjects, but his arguments were always cogent and well presented. I miss him too.

BTW, do you remember E_______y?

hillbillyjim on May 4, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Magnus on May 4, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Magnus,
First off I hope you get well soon.

Second, there are really two reasons why people are giving Obama a hard time about those 16 hours:

a) to respond to those who made (and are still trying to make) a big deal about the Secret Service needing seven minutes to secure President Bush’s exit from that classroom. It’s a bit hypocritical, isn’t it, to make a big deal about 7 minutes but not blink at all to 16 hours?

b) as I said earlier, Obama had 6-7 months to figure out what do with OBL. It’s a bit frightening to think that he OK’d the planning and training for the mission but waited until they were ready to go before taking the time to actually decide whether or not he wanted to go through with it.

I suppose there’s another reason – how hard of a decision could it have been? As has been said, if he decided against it that would have spelled the end of his re-election campaign.

Religious_Zealot on May 4, 2011 at 4:15 PM

barnone on May 4, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Beyond your excellent points, just let me add that any president whose immediate response to the 9-11 crisis is to order jets to start shooting down passenger planes is not a guy I want anywhere near office.

PackerBronco on May 4, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Let me add one more thing to my prior post :

Taking 16 hours to decide to go with a mission that had been planned and trained for in the past several months…

…sure seems to indicate that Obama really didn’t want to go through with it.

Religious_Zealot on May 4, 2011 at 4:18 PM

it is laughable that these liberal fools take up this argument today…

right2bright on May 4, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Yes. It is hilarious to the point of giggleworthy™.

hillbillyjim on May 4, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Ohhhh….”Shrub” is a clever reference to Bush.

Man, that is some seriously funny and clever satire there. Of course the rest of your post content is actually the funny part.

Clever, though. Well done you.

RDuke on May 4, 2011 at 4:19 PM

it is laughable that these liberal fools take up this argument today…

right2bright on May 4, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Yes. It is hilarious to the point of giggleworthy™.

hillbillyjim on May 4, 2011 at 4:18 PM

It “goggles” the mind!

Religious_Zealot on May 4, 2011 at 4:19 PM

It “goggles” the mind!

Religious_Zealot on May 4, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Yup. Clearly mind-goggling.

heh.

hillbillyjim on May 4, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I don’t know why it took 16 hours. Maybe they knew woman and children where with him and they were seeing if they would leave. Maybe he got some info that made it more risky
I. Don’t know. You don’t know. Why pick that to harp on. The missing was insanely successful. Maybe that time helped that. We don’t know

Magnus on May 4, 2011 at 4:24 PM

The more we find out about Obama, the better Bush looks. Notice how, on the news that bin Laden had been killed, Bush issued a short congratulations, then stepped back into retirement. It gets harder everyday to admit the miscalculation we made in electing Obama as an antidote to Bush.

tpitman on May 4, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Agreed. Race got a little… angry before getting banned, but I always considered him a friend. This new one can’t be him.

Esthier on May 4, 2011 at 4:45 PM

ExpressoBold on May 4, 2011 at 4:14 PM

It wasn’t for trolling. He got into an argument with someone else here and basically threatened him. I don’t think he was seriously threatening him, but he mentioned something about buying him a plane ticket and meeting in person or something, and that’s not the kind of thing Hot Air tolerates, nor should it.

Esthier on May 4, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Esthier on May 4, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I’ve never understood the troll “mentality.”

Why would anyone want to go to a place that has views/opinions they hate?

I guess they do it for the attention, but it still seems to me to be such a huge waste of our most precious commodity – time.

Religious_Zealot on May 4, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Folks we are witnessing the cognitive dissonance of a Sevener, 7 minuter…

Help me out, we need a name for this conspiracy movement.

16 Hours

darclon on May 4, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Goaters?

fossten on May 4, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Hahahaha. As-friggin-if this board had anything to do with “this country.” Puh-LEEEEEEEZ. This is a board filled with racist angry white guys who live in suburban Atlanta. That’s America alright.

bifidis on May 4, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Yup. Everyone’s from Atlanta, as you can see from the map.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 4, 2011 at 5:00 PM

we made in electing Obama as an antidote to Bush.

tpitman on May 4, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Who’s this ‘we’? You got a mouse in your pocket? :P

Lanceman on May 4, 2011 at 5:00 PM

BTW, do you remember E_______y?

hillbillyjim on May 4, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Who?

You ain’t gonna get banned for mentioning a former troll’s name. getalife.

Lanceman on May 4, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Oh, and I almost forgot the klan meetings where we toast to Byrd and cite the passages in the Bible about women serving men and slaves being cool.

Esthier on May 4, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Well thanks for spilling the beans, Esthier!

At least you didn’t tell him the secret password.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 4, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Religious_Zealot on May 4, 2011 at 4:48 PM

There are some people who come here and at least give a argument for their positions. We might not always agree but it is like iron sharpening iron. Then there are those that have been here today that aren’t worth wasting the energy in the electrons to spar with.

chemman on May 4, 2011 at 5:07 PM

bifidis on May 4, 2011 at 1:50 PM

You’re just another racer polluting a thread.

chemman on May 4, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Why sixteen hours is easy, he was working over in his head as best he could what the various possible outcomes would mean to his reelection. He’s not smart enough in general, or informed enough about military matters or the situation on the ground in that part of Pakistan to think about anything but his reelection.

Jiminy Carter haunted Bammie for those sixteen hours.

slickwillie2001 on May 4, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Who?

You ain’t gonna get banned for mentioning a former troll’s name. getalife.

Lanceman on May 4, 2011 at 5:02 PM

No, she was definitely not a troll. I’m just reminiscing about a former regular. She is sorely missed by us old-timers.

hillbillyjim on May 4, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Esthier on May 4, 2011 at 4:48 PM

It seemed to me that TRC was all about urinating on Confederate graves and running out the most outrageous race-based complaints that added nothing to the discussion at hand.
I never saw a cogent argument from him/her/it that wasn’t on its terms and he had to turn the argument to race-based terms to deal with any discussion.
At least, that’s how I remember it.

ExpressoBold on May 4, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Tom_Shipley on May 4, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Whether or not that was his reasoning stops short of the point. And it is this: what exactly could have been done to improve the situation (within the timeframe of this preparation) that wasn’t done by him in those seven minutes?

anuts on May 4, 2011 at 5:43 PM

All of the Ojesus lovers think that this is his coronation.

I hate to break it to them. A significant portion of us still believe in the Constitution and the rule of law.

We will not stand for a king, nor one who usurps toward that end. At the end of the day, the people will decide their own fate; good, bad, or indifferent. WE THE PEOPLE are the arbiters of our fate and future as long as we stay vigilant against threats to our republic and those who would abuse their power given the chance.

hillbillyjim on May 4, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Religious_Zealot on May 4, 2011 at 4:48 PM

My guess is unresolved anger. Same reason you’d egg the house of someone you hate or slash their tires. Only, it’s online, so it’s easier. Yes, it’s a time waster, but so is the internet in general sometimes. The true trolls must get something out of it.

At least you didn’t tell him the secret password.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 4, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Well, now we can spot him at the meetings.

Esthier on May 4, 2011 at 5:54 PM

At least, that’s how I remember it.

ExpressoBold on May 4, 2011 at 5:42 PM

I don’t blame you for remembering it that way. That’s not an entirely inaccurate picture of his posts those last few weeks. I really got into it with him over all of that too, but he wasn’t always like that.

Esthier on May 4, 2011 at 5:56 PM

YYZ on May 4, 2011 at 1:00 PM

“If only to consult with your advisors”

This was how many minuets after the 2nd plane hit?
What exactly, aside form the 2nd plane had hit, do you think the advisers might have know?

Do you know what the plan was if America was ever attacked?
What the assumptions would be?
Nope, obviously.

First assumption, the President Vice Presidents will be targets.
This has nothing to do with “who is President/Vice President”.
Objective, get the President/Vice President to a safe location.

Second assumption, the attack will come from outside the Continental USA, the lower 48.
Action, Scramble interceptors areas out over the oceans.

For all practical observations this is exactly what they did.
The SS had to secure a rout to AF1.
AF1 crew needed to man up AF1 get it fired up and ready to go.

And a hundred things I don’t know about.
All in all to get this done in 7 minuets is impressive, to say the lest.

DSchoen on May 4, 2011 at 6:36 PM

faraway on May 4, 2011 at 1:08 PM

The cynic in me would ask “what were Obama’s poll numbers 7 months ago”.

Reality is the SEAL’s, TF 121 needed time to come up with the plan, build the replica house and practice the operation.

DSchoen on May 4, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Tom_Shipley on May 4, 2011 at 3:05 PM

You seem quite fat and happy wallowing in your willful ignorance. Why should we disrupt your private bliss?

Meanwhile, those with the ability to read and reason realize that it would take several minutes to clear traffic when the Presidential motorcade needs to leave immediately and ahead of schedule…or that it would also take several minutes or longer for NEACP to be summoned.

ynot4tony2 on May 4, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Tom Shipley, Troll. Whats the matter? Charles and his little green footballs getting boring? Go away. You wouldn’t believe anything logical. Pffsssst.

AReadyRepub on May 5, 2011 at 1:22 AM

Clearly, a genius mind such as yourself can’t get your head around simple facts. But, then again, in liberal world I can see how 7 minutes is so much worse than the 16 hours it took Obama to make a decision on bin Laden…a decision eventually made by someone else.

So I’ll type slowly and use small words to help you understand this:

It is totally believable that it took President Bush several minutes to leave the classroom. He wasn’t “trapped” but reacting to the situation — being away from DC, in a room full of kids, and under the public eye.

First, preparing his motorcade and a route, ahead of schedule and amid national crisis would take time. Especially when it was unexpected. There are policies and procedures they follow to keep the president and his staff safe. I’m guessing Bush’s safety was an even bigger concern that morning. You ever been in a city when the president is present? The motorcade shuts things down, and that’s on a good day. Imagine having to coordinate that with local law enforcement, unpredicted, and in an emergency. I’m surprised it only took 7 minutes.

Second, he was in a room full of small children. Small children whom he had an obligation not to panic or scare anymore than they would be. Even by remaining calm, the kids — perceptive as ever — knew something was wrong.

Nobody knew anything in those early hours. I remember there being reports of more planes beyond the 4 that hit the World Trade Center and DC, talk of other potential acts of terrorism, etc. Until

How would it have helped them if he ran out of the room or stood up and started panicking? I have absolutely no qualms saying that if Bush had acted in a way that frightened those kids, the left would have accused him of inflicting undue trauma on them and paraded a “Bush hates kids!” meme instead of the “Bush didn’t react!” B.S. only they — in their ignorance and hatred of Bush — actually think is a winning argument.

Ask the parents of those kids. I bet you they, like me, would appreciate the manner in which Bush behaved in front of their children.

englishqueen01 on May 5, 2011 at 6:26 AM

Bifidis – I know you will not read this through, or probably have the intelligence to understand it if you do, but here is something I wrote on another blog a few years ago when the invasion of Iraq to find WMD’s was called useless by someone else with your pitiably weak understanding of reality:

The point is not the level of evidence as seen in hindsight. The point is that a high number of intelligence services for many nations, including some in the middle east, believed that Saddam had them, and would use them, Because he did have them, and had used them. Much worse was the possibility that he would make them available to terror groups to strike at the country that he hated above all others, the one that had thrown him back from any easy conquest, and was preventing him from destroying the Kurds, who also had his undying wrath. The point is that, given his hiding of things from UN inspectors, given his intransigence in the face of a mounting threat, that could have been ameliorated simply by opening his facilities to the UN if he had nothing to hide failure to deal with him would have been dereliction of duty by the Bush administration. That is the thing that is forgotten, constantly. The US had been brutally attacked not 2 years earlier, indications were that Saddam was in possession of WMD, and that he would be more than willing to give them to terrorist groups. To allow this to happen would have made GW Bush the president who believed he had good intelligence that a dangerous attack that was likely to kill thousands, hundreds of thousands or possibly millions of American citizens was in the works, and did nothing to stop it! That would have made him a far worse and more useless President than even the most rabid of his detractors now claim.

Siddhartha Vicious on May 5, 2011 at 6:36 AM

It was never about whether George Bush had finished reading the book, or the expression on his face, or if he had waited 7 minutes or 15 minutes or had gotten up immediately and ran out of the room. For the liberals, it was about he was there. George Bush was President and they were not.

It’s the same mentality we have in trying to figure out why the terrorists hate us or responding to some complaint or criticism from some terror loving group(now, not trying to compare libs to terrorists or anything.. just sayin).
No, it was never about what Bush did or didn’t do. It was about Bush. He was sitting there and Al Gore wasn’t.

It wouldn’t have mattered if Bush had snapped his fingers and brought those 3000 people back to life and raised the towers up from the ground with a wave of his hand, liberals would have complained he hadn’t done it fast enough or brought the buildings up to full codes. That’s just the way it is and will continue to be. They hate Bush. They hate conservatives and all the Michael Moores of the world, just like the terrorists, hate all of us. We will never please them until we are all laying under our beds in fetal positions sucking our thumbs with their boot on our heads.

JellyToast on May 5, 2011 at 6:48 AM

Folks we are witnessing the cognitive dissonance of a Sevener, 7 minuter…

Help me out, we need a name for this conspiracy movement.

darclon on May 4, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Seventhrater?

Siddhartha Vicious on May 5, 2011 at 7:08 AM

If I’d seen ‘Goater’ I would never have suggested ‘Seventhrater’

Siddhartha Vicious on May 5, 2011 at 7:22 AM

Folks we are witnessing the cognitive dissonance of a Sevener, 7 minuter…

Help me out, we need a name for this conspiracy movement.

darclon on May 4, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Seventhrater?

Siddhartha Vicious on May 5, 2011 at 7:08 AM

How about stupid?

itsspideyman on May 5, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Why is anyone even trying to deal rationally with this sack of diseased worm ridden filth Shipley? Had Bush ran out of the school and been assassinated, Shipley would have been…..

1) Happy with uncontrollable euphoric bliss…
2) then derided Bush for being a knee jerk reactionary coward who was only worried about his safety.

So please, stop giving that turd the honor of actually engaging him in rational debate.

csdeven on May 5, 2011 at 9:16 AM

bifidis is not The Race Card unless he changed his politics. TRC was not that anti-Bush. I’d bet bifidis could be DeathToMediaHacks instead. A confirmed thread liar and race-baiter.

hawkdriver on May 5, 2011 at 9:18 AM

It took me seven minutes to read this thread.

A Balrog of Morgoth on May 5, 2011 at 9:25 AM

In writing lengthy responses, some of you have wasted more than seven minutes on Tom Shipley.

Hopefully a lurker or two will learn something.

A Balrog of Morgoth on May 5, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Since I haven’t seen anyone take this angle, I want to remind people what Bush’s presidency was about on that morning. Bush wanted to be the “Education President”, jumping up the minute there was a crisis was a good way of attracting the criticism that he was not really serious about education–especially if it had been a coincidence. So because his focus was on education , he finished his current task, and made a graceful exit, cutting short his visit. Since the president is rarely the primary source of data, he probably anticipated that if he waited ten minutes, that much more information could be given to him when he started to deal with whatever it was. If this hadn’t dramatically transformed his presidency, his cool head preserved his current focus.

It’s that simple. Meanwhile if Obama had swore in front of the kids and was caught on tape whispering back and forth asking his advisers “What do I need to do?!” or something like that–we would be asked to accept that he is human caught up in events (which he would eventually master). We’re always asked to understand the humanity of libs, but a centrist like Bush can’t be given 10 minutes.

Axeman on May 5, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Dunno about the name for the “Goaters”, but I gotta say “Siddhartha Vicious” is a screen name I wish I’da thought of…

Mitch Berg on May 5, 2011 at 11:17 AM

I distinctly remember the start of WW II when we came home from the movies that Sunday afternoon. It was cloudy and cold. My Dad was in the living room with his head close to our new Zenith radio to catch every word. His face told it all. I was so scared. I can relate to what these kids are saying.

Herb on May 5, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I think you are all missing Shipley’s point.

President Bush could have used those seven minutes to disseminate wildly inaccurate claims prior to having all the information.

After all, our current president seems comfortable speaking out while admittedly “not seeing all the facts”.

As to the idiotic claims that POTUS should have just leapt up and somehow sprung into action, they’re simply foolish.

Obviously if there were a clearly imminent danger in that location, moving swiftly would have been the best course of action. In such a case the Secret Service is surely prepared to move POTUS to Marine One without his feet hitting the ground if necessary. However given the uncertainty of the day and the fact that no hijacked planes were closing on the school the most wise course of action would be to present a calm and reassuring face for the kids – who sensed something was wrong and who would certainly be scared while the Secret Service assessed the risks and formulated the best plan for egress, route to AFOne and numerous other plans we probably wouldn’t think of since we do not protect POTUS on a daily basis and certainly not on days of unprecedented uncertainty.

The kids who were in that classroom have spoken – they are happy he behaved as he did. The teacher, who said she had not voted for him stated on that day she was happy he was president. There were obviously momentous decisions to be made, information to be gathered and a plan to be formulated.

All of you criticizing him have a secret, though.

Had he leapt from his seat, tossed aside “My Pet Goat” and ran to Marine One ready for action….

You’d be complaining that he ran off like a coyboy and that he needlessly panicked those kids.

He behaved appropriately and you complained and exaggerated the so-called impact. Nothing new here. When most of the arguments you make are invalid and the positions you hold are untenable, you get used to just throwing them out there anyway – regardless of the fact that they make no sense.

The Michael Moores and his ilk of the world made great hay of President Bush’s time on the golf course. Funny how that’s not an issue anymore.

In fact it was a sign of President Obama’s cool under pressure that he got in a quick nine before watching the raid on Sunday. (I have no objection, for the record – who his having played. Staying with routine was probably the way to go – it’s not like he was planning the ops)

Certainly if done by President Bush that would have been the act of a callous man indifferent to the magnitude of the death/assassination squad mission he’d approved. (the questions about Pakistan’s sovereignty being asked in Europe would obviously be being thrown around by the left also)

RDuke on May 5, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I’m not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but Bush acted like a father would. Here he was, in a whole school full of children, and very likely someone was gunning for him that day. He was probably worried sick about the kids in his immediate vicinity. He kept all of the kids calm while the secret service did their jobs. It may have turned out that they were going to have to evacuate the school, and fast. Don’t you think they were really busy securing the immediate area?

Also, if they someone was gunning for him, it would have been the height of foolishness to immediately run out. What if that was the bad guys objective? Flush him out so they could shoot him? I think sitting tight and evaluating the immediate surroundings was wise, and probably procedure.

Kristamatic on May 5, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I’m not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but Bush acted like a father would.

I kind of alluded to that, but I think Bush’s reaction is what any responsible, sane adult would have done. Being a parent now, I realize how much braver I have to be in the face of calamity. Not necessarily terrorist attacks (thank God), but like last year when we had severe weather and tornado warnings.

We have to be calm and rational so our kids won’t panic. The situation would be a million times worse for us if we started screaming, “Tornado!” and ran around our living room like chickens sans heads.

Same thing.

Which is why lefties can’t understand it. Act crazy, jump to conclusions, then blame anyone and everyone else for your irrationality.

englishqueen01 on May 5, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I’m not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but Bush acted like a father would.

Kristamatic on May 5, 2011 at 3:07 PM

You’re right, he acted like a parent. But it’s a flawed fake meme to start out with. Because you can see the look on his face in that picture and it’s like a parent that’s saying, someone hurt the ones intrusted to me and I’m going to kick soem a$$.

And he did. But the liberals will almost have you forget how quickly Afghanistan fell. They’ll have you forget how quickly the ground war in Iraq was completed. They’ll have you forget how quickly other Middle East tyrants said they’d fall in line like happened in Libya. Freaking liberals were rewriting the very history that was unfolding before us.

hawkdriver on May 5, 2011 at 6:53 PM

People forget that at the beginning 9/11 was not the start of a war, “merely” the worst civil air disaster the world had ever seen; the absolute nightmare of stricken aircraft crashing in a densely populated area. It was the Tenerife Disaster write large, not Pearl Harbor Mk II.

It was only later, after the second plane came in that it was clear that 9/11 was no accident.

Voyager on May 5, 2011 at 10:12 PM

It ‘goggles’ the mind how stupid YYZ is.
fossten on May 4, 2011 at 1:09 PM
Cute. I meant to write Googles.

YYZ on May 4, 2011 at 1:33 PM

The expression, however, is “boggles the mind”.

You’re still stupid.