Harry Reid: “Marco Rubio has to understand who he is…”

posted at 9:20 am on May 4, 2011 by John Sexton

About two weeks ago, Harry Reid was interviewed for a Hispanic-oriented political show called Mariowire. The interviewer asks Reid for his opinion of Marco Rubio whom, he notes, talks like a member of the GOP despite the fact that he is “Latino.” Listen to Reid’s response:

Given all the race-baiting that the left is flinging around these days, I want to be careful not to overstate what’s in this clip. I also don’t want to understate it. It sounds to me as if Reid is saying that–by aligning himself with the Tea Party or taking a certain position on the debt ceiling–Marco Rubio has lost touch with his authentic self.

Perhaps there’s another way to parse this, but given the context of the interview, race is the obvious subtext. Also, one has to consider Reid’s history of making precisely this sort of race-based political declaration about Hispanic conservatives. Remember this gem from last October?

And as it happens, guess who was there to correct him:

Harry Reid seems to have trouble wrapping his head around the concept that someone can be authentically Hispanic and Republican. As you can see in the clip above, Sen. Rubio believes his views are perfectly consistent with his genuine experience growing up in America.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

mozalf on May 4, 2011 at 11:59 AM

They hate second and third generation Americans. Assimilation is the enemy of the Left. They prey on the hopes and dreams and fears of immigrants and promise utopia… it’s the succeeding generations that see the empty basket and start to understand how free enterprise and liberty work in a Republic.

The Italians went through the same soft racism of low expectation. All my older relatives were either Democrats or Communists (redundant, I know)… but the next couple of generations have moved considerably to the Right.

mankai on May 4, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Idiots like Reid can’t even connect their own dots. He says Marco Rubio doesn’t represent the Tea Party, he represents the people of Florida. Yet Reid can’t connect the dots to the logical conclusion that he should be representing the people of Nevada. He has no intention of representing anyone but his constituents.

Mr_Magoo on May 4, 2011 at 11:58 AM

100% Correct. Reid seems to also forget that “FLorida” voted for “who he is”, to the tune of 20 points over Crist. Florida also has another guy off the plantation… Col. West.

As a native NY’ker I am pleased to reside in Florida – and feel they have righted the wrongs from 2000. (though take zero responsibility for Wasserman-Shultz) I also support the FL Reps lobbying to get the Primary here first.

Odie1941 on May 4, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Heh. Reid’s disjointed, disoriented, meaningless blather is just par for the course for him. What a clown.

Jaibones on May 4, 2011 at 12:07 PM

>> Nevada voters are idiots.

They join the fine company of Illinois voters, who keep re-electing Dick Durbin [groan]

And we elected Rahmbo as mayor [groan]

FlatlanderByTheLake on May 4, 2011 at 10:54 AM

So, are you saying that you are an idiot as well? I did my best, campaigned, donated lots of $ and got as many of my friends and family to vote. We could not overcome the unions and their cheating ways. I don’t think of myself as an idiot just because dirty harry red cheated to win, he’s a dimocrat. It’s what they do.

VegasRick on May 4, 2011 at 12:09 PM

That’s the cover story. Actually it got dislocated as he was trying to pat himself on the back.

fossten on May 4, 2011 at 12:03 PM

+10
Bet this happens to Barry all the time. But bcs he has a good chirpractor, we never hear about it.

Badger40 on May 4, 2011 at 12:14 PM

VegasRick on May 4, 2011 at 12:09 PM

I feel bad for you folks in states like that.
I do like living in ND-Red State.
But we all have our problems.
However, I am very happy to see that our state legislaters voted for another property tax cut for us.
I really benefit from this.

Badger40 on May 4, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Badger40 on May 4, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Good for you folks! I think more and more of this country is starting to move to the right on most issues. And thats a good thing.

VegasRick on May 4, 2011 at 12:19 PM

I would like to know how Mormons feel about Harry Reid. Does he understand who he is?

Mark1971 on May 4, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I apologize for Harry Reid. I didn’t vote for him or anything but I am constantly embarrassed by him.

I don’t even understand how he has risen as high as he has. He doesn’t even have a personality. Why does anyone vote for him?

petunia on May 4, 2011 at 12:22 PM

petunia on May 4, 2011 at 12:22 PM

1. Not your fault.
2. Union $’s

Tim_CA on May 4, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Exactly what is the Cuban population of Nevada? It is likely Reid has limited contact with Latinos of Cuba decent. So why would Harry presume to know anything about it?

petunia on May 4, 2011 at 12:25 PM

They will go after Rubio because he is dangerous to their plan of putting Latinos on their “Plantation” of broken families, poverty and despair right alongside of blacks…

CCRWM on May 4, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Translation: “You people…”

mankai on May 4, 2011 at 9:47 AM

exactly.

Tim_CA on May 4, 2011 at 12:29 PM

VegasRick on May 4, 2011 at 12:19 PM

I hope so. Bcs we can absorb only so many of you.
ND is bursting at the seams bcs of economic refugees.
My cousin from SoCal wants to come out here & find a teaching job.
She hates it there.
And she grew up there.
Her mother, my Aunt, has to wait 3 more years for her husband to retire & then they’re outta there.
Looking at moving out here, too.
It is a terrible time when people have to pick up & move from their native state bcs it has become so inhospitable to them.

Badger40 on May 4, 2011 at 12:36 PM

I think the new brand of Democrats need a new moniker.
Left (Hand) Mafia The (hand) being the red fist they like so much.

IowaWoman on May 4, 2011 at 12:45 PM

When is Nevada going to retire this relic?

hillbillyjim on May 4, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Reid: Now get back out there and pick some lettuce, boy.

cynccook on May 4, 2011 at 1:06 PM

On Latinos and Race…and other mind-bending intellectually intelligent truthbombs by Prince Harry Reid.

Harry Reid, this guy thinks because he has a bunch of misguided unionized non-English speaking “Si Se Puede!” immigrants in Vegas waving signs for him because they’re told to or else, he be the Latinoist La Rassa spokesman of the year on all things Latino and Political. He is great for laughs!

RepubChica on May 4, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Thank you Nevada voters………we’ll be enjoying your decision for 5 1/2 more years.

PappyD61 on May 4, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Nevada voters retained an incontinent of the pants, and of the mouth, in office.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Racist.

Terrye on May 4, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Harry Reid is, without question, one of the biggest jack-offs in politics today. But aside from that, he’s a great guy…/

Dopenstrange on May 4, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Harry Reid is an ignorant racist. Cubans get very offended when they are not delineated from latinos from mexico and further south. Obviously harry just sees the spanish speaking commonality and leaps to racist generalizations.

karenhasfreedom on May 4, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Forget the typical liberal racism that says all minorities must agree with them, what really bothers me is at about 3:07 in the video, Reid says”

“We can’t have people voting to close down the government. We can’t have people voting not to increase the debt limit.”

Really, Harry? Then why put it to a vote at all? Why even have a congress?

Who the hell are you to say what anyone can’t vote for?

Stephen Macklin on May 4, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Really, Harry? Then why put it to a vote at all? Why even have a congress?

Who the hell are you to say what anyone can’t vote for?

Stephen Macklin on May 4, 2011 at 3:47 PM

That’s very telling.
They’re not even hiding their intentions anymore.

Badger40 on May 4, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Don’t forget who he is, a stupid Mexican…that was the context.
Reid is a racist, always has been, always will be…

right2bright on May 4, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Who was it that boxer insulted who happened to be black?

Can’t remember the topic but she chided a black man by saying most blacks support something

Sonosam on May 4, 2011 at 4:40 PM

How dare this “uppity” Latino run as a Republican? Harry needs to show him his “place” in the line for generous assistance and victim relief at the back door of the Democratic party plantation.
Does it occur to Harry that we voted for Rubio because of what he stands for, not his complexion or country of origin? Same goes for that “tom” Colonel West. You know this just drives the Dems nuts.

tpitman on May 4, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Occasionally we get it right in Florida, with Rubio and West, and getting rid of Alan Grayson . . .

tpitman on May 4, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Who was it that boxer insulted who happened to be black?

Sonosam on May 4, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Harry Alford.

Dopenstrange on May 4, 2011 at 4:52 PM

The party of slavery, and racism rides again.

Slowburn on May 4, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I don’t see the race connection here. Honestly, I don’t. It was an answer to a racially loaded question that managed to refer to Rubio’s position rather than his race.

I see him saying that Rubio doesn’t work for the Tea Party but the state of Florida. What Reid fails to understand is that the Tea Party and Florida coincide, because we knew Rubio’s Tea Party leanings and decided, “hey, that’s pretty good, let’s go with this guy.”

I do think it’s Reid’s fault for being such an ass at all other times that we default to the worst possible explanation for all his words.

James on May 4, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Ol’ Massah’ Harry, complaining that someone has wandered off the plantation.

Ward Cleaver on May 4, 2011 at 9:26 AM

That was my initial reaction, too.

Harry’s looking quite the Racer there. His remarks about Rubio are ghastly.

Lourdes on May 4, 2011 at 6:28 PM

James on May 4, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Reid is attempting to chastise — harm, ridicule, impune, MINIMIZE as a person based upon ethnicity/race — Rubio. Reid claiming that “Rubio has to remember who he is…” is disgusting because it’s Reid referring Rubio (or trying to) to a racial stereotype, a NEGATIVE RACIAL STEREOTYPE (more specifically, an ethnic one, since Latino/Hispanic is not a race but an ethnicity).

Reid is trying to fit Rubio into a very small box whose confines are negative stereotypes, to minimize his worth and meaning as a person based upon what Reid perceives as a stereotypical ethnic characterisation.

Lourdes on May 4, 2011 at 6:32 PM

It is amazing to me how such a racist like Harry Reid can be in charge of the U. S. Senate.

MeAlice on May 4, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Wouldn’t you just die to hear his commemts on a West/Rubio ticket.
Maybe that would be the big one that finally has him kick the bucket. I dream big.

concernedsenior on May 4, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Still the party of white supremacism. When are you going to start living in the 21st century, Harry? Racism like yours is so passe.

hachiban on May 4, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Harry Reid is a racister.

chemman on May 4, 2011 at 9:23 AM

cableguy615 on May 4, 2011 at 8:49 PM

I just found out that my father (deceased; registered dhimmicRAT), told my brother-in-law (conservative) that he would like to vote for Obama but he just couldn’t vote for a n*****.

The left at its finest.

davidk on May 4, 2011 at 9:11 PM

If you’ve ever heard Marco speak, he doesn’t stutter, he doesn’t hedge his speech, he knows what he believes and isn’t afraid to express it. Perhaps I missed it, will someone point out a Democrat like that??

bflat879 on May 4, 2011 at 9:14 PM

I believe Harry Reid has lost touch with his race: human.

Crusader Rabbit on May 4, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Harry Reid reveals his bigotry repeatedly with the stereotypes that he insists on asserting. His ignorance is appalling for a person of his position.

onlineanalyst on May 4, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Lourdes on May 4, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Nicely said, Lourdes. That is an excellent assessment of Reid and of the Dems who continue to condescend to others.

Reid has a stereotyped idea of what the TEA party is all about, too. He wants to paint it as racist and as a no-government party. What doesn’t he understand about smaller, less-intrusive government? Does the idea of self-determining people frighten him that much? Does he fear people who do not want to be wards of the state?

onlineanalyst on May 4, 2011 at 10:30 PM

I am not sure I have personally met a Democrat who was not racist in the sense of, “Know your place, boy.” They even apply this to wealth. If somebody was not born into wealth there’s a tacit, “Crawl back to your place, boy.” This latter is more in the way of subtle conditioning. They get “praise” if they support their “masters”, the party.

{^_^}

herself on May 5, 2011 at 2:54 AM

What is more important is not that Rubio should know who he is , but Reid should know what he is himself. Liberalism is a progressive mental disorder and Reid is in the latter stages.

volsense on May 5, 2011 at 8:32 AM

I’m waiting for Harry, (the war is lost), Reid to come out and say, “With OBL dead, the war is won, and over”

Rovin on May 5, 2011 at 9:20 AM

I know quite a few Hispanic Republicans here in Florida – in fact, three live in my house. Every liberal Democrat I meet is racist and I can’t fathom why any non-white American would want to belong to such a party.

Mrs. Happy Housewife on May 5, 2011 at 10:14 AM