SEAL Team Six Doesn’t Exist (and isn’t called Team Six)

posted at 9:25 pm on May 3, 2011 by John Sexton

It’s difficult to find anyone who will talk about Team Six, the mysterious group of SEALs who raided a compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan Sunday and killed Osama bin Laden. But the AP did manage to find one former SEAL who was willing to talk a little bit about this top secret group:

These SEAL All-Stars have a lot more going for them than just muscle and weaponry:

Most are fluent in one or more foreign languages – on Sunday’s operation, some of the team were apparently able to speak Pashto – and candidates are also selected for their ability to blend in to any environment.

Team Six was created after the failed rescue attempt of the Iranian hostages. They were called “Team Six” in order to suggest to our adversaries that we had at least that many teams operating. In fact there were only two other SEAL teams at the time. Team Six was disbanded in 1987 but another, very similar team known as DEVGRU (Naval Special Warfare Development Group) started at the same time and DEVGRU was often referred to as “Team Six” in subsequent years.

However, even this name is now out of date. Apparently the Navy changed the name of the team but has not made the new designation public. So the group of SEAL all-stars that the press is calling Team Six has a name but no one will say what it is.

Just how tight lipped are these guys? Today, Bloomberg published this account:

Richard DeBerry Jr. said he knows a member of Navy SEAL Team Six, the elite, secretive unit that killed Osama bin Laden.

That friendship still won’t get him any details of the nighttime raid on the Pakistan compound of the terrorist who eluded capture for a decade.

“We’re not even going to try to pick his brain about it — he’s not going to say a thing,” DeBerry, 33, said in an office lined with baseball caps from Navy servicemen who bought cars. “You get drunk with them and they won’t tell you a thing about what happened on their missions. They don’t even tell their wives.”

There’s really only one thing we know for sure about this non-existent team with no name. They get the job done.

Comments

Whatever they are called, they are beyond awesome. Personally, I wish we had Seal Team 6,000 out there. The world would feel much…safer.

cynccook on May 3, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Maybe they’re CTU.

MikeknaJ on May 3, 2011 at 9:27 PM

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

ted c on May 3, 2011 at 9:29 PM

America needs heroes.

SEAL Team Six fits that bill.

ted c on May 3, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Surprised I haven’t seen Richard Marcinko’s name come up in any stories.

Russ86 on May 3, 2011 at 9:30 PM

They get the job done.

Amen!

cmsinaz on May 3, 2011 at 9:31 PM

If anyone from Secret SEAL Team Six that Doesn’t Exist happens to read this, I just want to say:

THANK YOU!

UnderstandingisPower on May 3, 2011 at 9:32 PM

So are they going to starting filming The Unit again?

pedestrian on May 3, 2011 at 9:32 PM

The proper name is…

Team Sssshhhhhhhhhh!

Please make a note of it…

Seven Percent Solution on May 3, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Richard Marcinko. Ponytail and all.

He was on a local show today talking about it. He was with the non-existent Team 6.

SteveMG on May 3, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Take that Superman!
SEAL Team 6! The real American hero(s).

Electrongod on May 3, 2011 at 9:34 PM

…And God Bless every single one of them (and their families)!

These men ARE the pointy end of America’s spear. I feel safer knowing they are there!

FloridaBill on May 3, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Area 51 doesn’t exist either.

SouthernGent on May 3, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Correction: Marcinko named it Team 6.

Remarkable man.

SteveMG on May 3, 2011 at 9:35 PM

They are definitely the BADDEST of the BADASSES! Go Navy!

JamesLee on May 3, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Team Sexybadass.

Bee on May 3, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Oh yeah, he named it Team 6 to confuse the enemy into thinking there were five others. There was only one at the time.

I imagine there’s more than 6 today.

SteveMG on May 3, 2011 at 9:36 PM

I read elsewhere that Team Six was comprised of the best of all SEAL Teams, they poached them. The training was twice as rigorous as regular SEAL Training, I think its called BUDS, and that the washout rate for Team Six was 50%.

If 50% of BUDS Grads washout out of Team Six training that is training I want to see.

TendStl on May 3, 2011 at 9:36 PM

SteveMG on May 3, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Not exactly. He created it. Marccinko WAS Six.

I have a close frined who was a Vietnam era SEAL. He is a really quality individual; tougher than woodpecker lips at over 60, and I am certain the new version has the whole excellence thing honed to a knife edge.

MikeA on May 3, 2011 at 9:42 PM

…And God Bless every single one of them (and their families)!

FloridaBill on May 3, 2011 at 9:34 PM

me too!

unlisted on May 3, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Not exactly. He created it. Marccinko WAS Six.

I thought it was created for him and he named it? Something like that.

My mom worked for the Chief of Naval Operations (Boorda et al.) and he would come in on occasion with his ponytail and beard and get dirty looks from everyone.

Quite a character.

Amazing guy.

SteveMG on May 3, 2011 at 10:02 PM

I heard tonight that Delta was in on this too.

reddevil on May 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM

I wouldn’t be able to do something like this…not even counting my distaste for being shot at by maniacs, I feel like I’d be the first one to blab about the mission in my facebook status.

TheBlueSite on May 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM

TendStl on May 3, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Actually, Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL (BUD/S) school is just the first step in becoming a SEAL.

darclon on May 3, 2011 at 10:15 PM

If I have another son, I am naming him Devgru.

Kataklysmic on May 3, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Marcinko said the Russians spent years looking for Teams 3, 4 and 5. Which really didn’t exist.

Sue on May 3, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Congrats to these heroes!!!!!!!

CWforFreedom on May 3, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Sure wish there were some single Team 6 members. I like’em rough and tough.

txag92 on May 3, 2011 at 10:25 PM

There are 6 SEAL teams. Each team has a specialty. There are 2 SEAL groups, one at Little Creek, VA, and the other at Coronado, CA. 3 teams each.

I believe SEAL team 2 is the “cold weather” team.

BobMbx on May 3, 2011 at 10:26 PM

When I went through Air Force boot, they allowed the most athletically and academically capable in each flight to try out for Para-Rescue, which is the AF’s special ops arm and comprised of some very select and capable fellows. One guy in my flight who had rated tops in every category asked to try out and was allowed the opportunity. We would see him during our travels, always running with a group of other candidates and carring a cut-down telephone pole everywhere they went. This guy was a cardio monster, bright as heck and with admirable leadership qualities, and I believe he lasted all of five days before he was asked to return to our flight. And he looked very much the worse for wear. When we asked him to tell us about his experiences, he would merely shake his head and mumble something about some folks operating at a whole ‘nother level.

That’s who these men are; SEALS, Special Forces, Delta, Para. They truly are the best of the best.

CaptFlood on May 3, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Would it be in poor taste to contact the creators of Battlefield 3 to request a “Team 6″ mission and an online map that includes the Bin Laden Compound?

rihar on May 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Their name is irrelevant. They shall be known by their seeds.

OldEnglish on May 3, 2011 at 10:38 PM

They probably weren’t even all SEALs; The group that would have been responsible is completely Joint between Army Delta and Navy SEAL they merged under JSOC, which is part of SOCOM. Neither the Army nor Navy control them.

LordJack on May 3, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Former St. Louis Navy Seal Talks About Hunting Bin Laden

djn on May 3, 2011 at 10:49 PM

The proper name is…

… Team Sssshhhhhhhhhh!

Please make a note of it…

Seven Percent Solution on May 3, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Just know that I have a whole bag of ssshhhh with your name on it.

fossten on May 3, 2011 at 10:55 PM

It’s wonderful to realize these teams exist and I’m so proud of them because of the pansy media and the political correct people that dominate the news about our military. I have been privileged to know three Navy Seals. I honor them.

mixplix on May 3, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Hats off to these brave men. They are the best our country has and they deserve our thanks and respect.

AZfederalist on May 3, 2011 at 10:57 PM

It looks like SEAL Team Six Does Exist (and is called Team Six:

Check this out on Amazon, being released 5/24:

SEAL Team Six: Memoirs of an Elite Navy SEAL Sniper

djn on May 3, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Love this quote:

“When the Navy sends their elite, they send the SEALs. When the SEALs send their elite, they send SEAL Team Six”…

djn on May 3, 2011 at 11:05 PM

From a greatful nation…….Thanks Guys!

Oh…..and Superman? Take your Fu@^in citizenship and shove it up your ass! These are the REAL SUPER HERO’S!

J.

JohnnyMojo on May 3, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Seal Team 6 did exist. It’s DEVGRU now.

Typical DEVGRU scrapbook photo: http://www.americanspecialops.com/images/photos/devgru/devgru-bodyguards.jpg

ace tomato on May 3, 2011 at 11:20 PM

More happy DEVGRU photo opps http://www.konstipation.com/stuff/yank/seal/devgru/groupblackout.jpg

ace tomato on May 3, 2011 at 11:21 PM

More DEVGRU portraits: http://i89.servimg.com/u/f89/11/19/84/14/39811910.jpg

In general, if you see a DEVGRU photo with faces intact, those guys are no longer active, or are trainers/spokesmen etc who interact with the public or admin in some way, not in any cover.

ace tomato on May 3, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Don’t forget Langley paramilitary = WICKEDBEYOND

ace tomato on May 3, 2011 at 11:27 PM

I was aboard USS Kalamazoo, a fleet oiler, in the early 80s. We were a “target” for these guys for a couple of weeks. They were training for taking over a ship while underway. To say that they scared the crap out of me would be an understatement.

Later I was an instructor of deck seamanship and amphibious ops at Little Creek. I had a couple of guys show up one Monday that were in civvies and had long hair. We occasionally had merchant seamen in class, so I thought nothing of it. Tuesday afternoon their pagers went off and they excused themselves from class. The next day they apologized and said they had to go back to their command. I later found out that they were from “Dam Neck”, which pretty much indicated they were “Six.”

Lastly, I was running a large landing craft out of Little Creek a few years later. I was tasked to have a winch placed on deck by DevGru and tasked to retrieve aircraft pallets several miles offshore of Sandbridge. Apparently they parachute boats from out of the back of C-130s or 141s. They are right behind them and hit a quick release on the cargo straps. Pallets sink, they get in and go.

I had GPS coordinates and divers with me. We got all but one pallet back. Pretty good fishing for basically looking for a fish hook in a lake.

TugboatPhil on May 3, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Sorry, ahem, Langley paramilitary = WICKEDBEYOND Random State Department Employees

ace tomato on May 3, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Re: CaptFlood on May 3, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Ran into a few who washed out of Combat Control and Pararescue in my career. They were built but mental attitude and teamwork plays more of a role in making it through than anything else. Met a couple big leaguers at one assignment and you never would have known it by looking at them.

Russ86 on May 3, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Good vid. I have the pleasure of knowing the gentleman in the video. Craig is an outstanding individual and has done much to keep us safe over the years.

Thanks, Sawman!

MikeZero on May 4, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Fortunately for them, Barry is there to smile, wave, and blink away the tickertape.

Jim Treacher on May 4, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Don’t tell anyone, but these are the code names of those responsible for the death of OBL:

Snake Doctor
Dirt Diver
Cool Breeze
Betty Blue
Hammer Head

macblanegirl on May 4, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Also, I’d like to share this anecdote. I was introduced to Craig Sawyer by a mutual friend who served as a “Swick”. The next day, I thanked my friend for the introduction and said that Sawman struck me as a “high speed” individual. My friend said, “There are snipers. Then there are SEAL snipers. Then there’s the Sawman.”

MikeZero on May 4, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Quiet professionals.

OhioCoastie on May 4, 2011 at 12:07 AM

It pays to be a winner.

crosspatch on May 4, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Glad Team 6 does not exist. When the libs come back out of the closet those guys won’t have to worry about being accused of ‘war crimes’.

GarandFan on May 4, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Not exactly. He created it. Marccinko WAS Six.

MikeA on May 3, 2011 at 9:42 PM

If you want to learn more about Richard Marcinko and the history of Seal Team 6 (now known as DEVGRU), I highly recommend reading Rouge Warrior by Richard Marcinko.

I also suggest reading “Brave Men Dark Waters” in which the author, Orr Kelly, says he was in the Seals with Marcinko and as part of his own book tells his version of Marcinko as an out of control egotist, a real rogue warrior.

I’ve met Richard Marcinko. He’s the nicest guy you’ll ever meet unless he’s been sent to hunt you down.

Conservative Samizdat on May 4, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Conservative Samizdat on May 4, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Excellent post!..Rouge Warrior is an excellent read!..:)

Dire Straits on May 4, 2011 at 12:53 AM

They keep forgetting that part of the timeline where Obama had to check with Beijing first. I think it took them 16 hours to get back to him.

crosspatch on May 4, 2011 at 3:00 AM

With Obama taking as much credit as he is, I wouldn’t be surprised if the White house renamed them “Oval Team”.

Shy Guy on May 4, 2011 at 3:27 AM

The proper name is…
… Team Sssshhhhhhhhhh!
Please make a note of it…
Seven Percent Solution on May 3, 2011 at 9:33 PM

They changed their name from “SEAL TEAM 6″ to a “symbol” that can’t be said.

So know the are officially know as the “symbol” formally know as “SEAL TEAM 6″.

Hope that helps!

DSchoen on May 4, 2011 at 3:51 AM

That’s Task Force (TF121)

TF121 is a multi-service force commanded by U.S. Air Force Brigadier General Gregory L. Trebon.

The spearhead of the force is a forty-man team made up of operators from
the U.S. Army’s Delta Force, U.S. Army’s INSCOM intelligence unit ,
the U.S. Navy’s DEVGRU,
the U.S. Army’s 75th Ranger Regiment,
the CIA’s Special Activities Division, and
the U.S. Army’s 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (a.k.a. SOAR, Nightstalkers.)

DSchoen on May 4, 2011 at 4:42 AM

Excellent post!..Rouge Rogue Warrior is an excellent read!..:)
Dire Straits on May 4, 2011 at 12:53 AM

It’s very rare I’ll point out a spelling error, because they are so easy to make and I know others graciously ignore mine, but in this context, yours is especially funny. ;)

DrMagnolias on May 4, 2011 at 5:35 AM

Ahhh the delicious irony of President Obama taking 16 hours of contemplation to put his career in the hands of these military professionals.

BigAlSouth on May 4, 2011 at 6:16 AM

Rough men standing ready to do violence on our behalf.

BohicaTwentyTwo on May 4, 2011 at 6:17 AM

George Orwell

ted c on May 3, 2011 at 9:29 PM

I’ve always loved that quote, Ted.

DrZin on May 4, 2011 at 6:29 AM

It pays to be a winner.

crosspatch on May 4, 2011 at 12:10 AM

The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat.

diogenes on May 4, 2011 at 7:27 AM

Whoever they are, I salute them. I went to DLI with some SEALs, they were quite badass – but also quite respectful to us young ladies. I have nothing but the utmost respect for those guys – strong, brave, and intelligent.

(Love you too, honey, even though you’re not a SEAL.)

Anna on May 4, 2011 at 7:47 AM

The strong and silent types always are the ones who get the job done.

Disturb the Universe on May 4, 2011 at 7:57 AM

If I was friends with one of those guys, I wouldn’t even insult him by asking…

Big John on May 4, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Now we know what happened to Jack Bauer.

Scott P on May 4, 2011 at 8:50 AM

I imagine there’s more than 6 today.

SteveMG on May 3, 2011 at 9:36 PM

During my time in the Navy, I learned of the NTK: need to know. If the knowledge wasn’t critical for completion of my mission, I didn’t have it. If I didn’t have it, I couldn’t give it up under ANY circumstances. The only info I need about “Seal Team 6″ is, “Mission Accomplished”.

Thank you, gentlemen. As someone here noted, because of men such as yourselves performing your duties, I sleep soundly.

GOD bless you and your families.

oldleprechaun on May 4, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Sure wish there were some single Team 6 members. I like’em rough and tough.

txag92 on May 3, 2011 at 10:25 PM

You might be disappointed. Or not, depending on your tastes.

While there were certainly some notable exceptions, in my experience working with special forces types they tended to be almost the opposite of what you’d imagine. Most were relatively small, wiry rather than super-muscular, pretty quiet – so quiet you might mistake it for shyness – and usually some hairy MFers … hair and beards that made them look more like philosophy professors than the killers that they are.

Also very articulate, very smart, very educated.

There were some big bruiser types, too, but in my experience, the majority fit the above description. You’d never pick them out of a crowd … which is exactly the idea.

Nice guys, too. At the end of my time in Iraq, the only Americans left were my company and a special forces detachment. Cool guys, for the most part. Good to work with. Didn’t even seem particularly snobby about having to deal with a bunch of weekend warriors.

“Quiet Professionals” really seems to sum it up.

Of course, I might not have liked them so much if I made the mistake of pissing them off. Osama probably didn’t care for them much.

Professor Blather on May 4, 2011 at 9:41 AM

There is no Team 6. In fact they’re not even SEAL. They’re WALRUS.

Whoop Ass Loving Roughnecks (who) Understand Savagery

Mahdi on May 4, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Go Navy! and . . . Thank you.

Pablo Snooze on May 4, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Can’t we just ask Obama….I mean, I was under the impression that he was part of the team!

search4truth on May 4, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Let’s hear it for Cheney’s Assassination Squad!

Good Lt on May 4, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Everyone is screaming at the top of their lungs how wonderful the military is and correctly so. BUT it was just 3 weeks ago that the democrats in congress and the president had the military shitting their pants because of the threatened budget battle and they were not going to get paid.
I would like to see every one call congress and demand that no matter what happens in the budget battle that their pay happens before that of the president or congress. They walk the talk, they lay down their lives for us. We need to do battle here at home for them.

ColdWarrior57 on May 4, 2011 at 11:39 AM

From what I’ve read about Special Operations Forces, SEAL Team Six are not regular SEALs.

You take “regular” SEALs, which are elite soldiers as it is, and then you take the best of the best among them – those make up this “SEAL Team Six” group.

Those are the guys who took out OBL.

And frankly speaking, other than the VIP nature of the target, this particular operation was not that dangerous or complex relative to other operations that these guys do on a regular basis.

Having said that – good job!!!

AlexB on May 4, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Great job by the No-Name SEALs, and silence is golden!

Just how tight lipped are these guys? Today, Bloomberg published this account:

If these SEALs are really tight-lipped (which they probably are) how does Jay Blarney know that Bin Laden was unarmed when he was shot?

Or did Depress Secretary not really know, and he pulled the first idea from his rectum before engaging brain?

Steve Z on May 4, 2011 at 12:04 PM

American made!

Roy Rogers on May 4, 2011 at 12:35 PM

I believe SEAL team 2 is the “cold weather” team.

BobMbx on May 3, 2011 at 10:26 PM

??? We had an element of Team 2 attached to us TAD when we were in Columbia and El Sal snatching beaner druggies. We saw plenty of snow, but it wasn’t the cold weather kind.

Alden Pyle on May 4, 2011 at 2:27 PM

To give an example of how good our military is, it still functions even though it has undergone drastic downsizing recently.

The Air Force, for example, has 43,000 fewer airmen today than it had in 2004, when Bush won his second term.

Leaner, meaner. But I fear we are going to cut muscle along with the fat.

crosspatch on May 4, 2011 at 2:54 PM

And I believe the “problem” with Marccinko was that when you have someone who lives “outside the box”, or hell, hasn’t even created “the box” in their minds to begin with, it creates all sorts of mental anguish for people who find comfort in that box because nothing happens quite like it is supposed to happen for them and it drives them crazy.

crosspatch on May 4, 2011 at 5:18 PM

So are they going to starting filming The Unit again?
pedestrian on May 3, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Wouldn’t that be great, I miss that show.

free on May 5, 2011 at 4:07 AM